PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for the loser of APP/Wofford to still get a seed if both teams win out

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I think so!!

KiddBrewer
October 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
depends on how the game goes probably, but i would tend call that possibility doubtful at best.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
not a good chance but it could happen... app will need to be the loser bc they will be bumped up similar to montana in years passed due to their attendance draw and such...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I agree, doubtful at best. Both are good enough, but doesn't mean the committee will see it that way. You have to earn it on the field.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
These teams still have a decent shot to run the table from here on out and get a seed:

JMU
UNH
Villanova (note: UNH @ VU still to play...)
UNI
Cal Poly (still has @Wisconsin)
Montana
Weber St.
and maybe SIU (a lot of teams would have to lose ahead of them)

I see JMU + winner of ASU / Wofford + 1 BSC team (Montana/Weber St) + UNI or Cal Poly.

Tough to see loser of Friday's game getting a seed, but it's possible.

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
not a good chance but it could happen... app will need to be the loser bc they will be bumped up similar to montana in years passed due to their attendance draw and such...

I thinking more about the seed as opposed to getting home playoff games. We know app will get home games just because of attendance. The only way to play at home the entire time for wofford is to be a 1 or 2. I didn't think the attendance came in until after the seeds were made.

Appaholic
October 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
These teams still have a decent shot to run the table from here on out and get a seed:

JMU
UNH
UNI
Montana
Weber St.

I see JMU + winner of ASU / Wofford + 1 BSC team (Montana/Weber St) + UNI or Cal Poly.

Not App....hat will be 3 losses and you can't justify 3 losses getting a seed even if they were to eventual SoCon champ, CAA champ & defending FBS NC.....

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I thinking more about the seed as opposed to getting home playoff games. We know app will get home games just because of attendance. The only way to play at home the entire time for wofford is to be a 1 or 2. I didn't think the attendance came in until after the seeds were made.

I know all that... you said "We know app will get home games just because of attendance." which is a contradiction bc to get more than one we have to be a seed! (unless others lose) xrolleyesx

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Not App....hat will be 3 losses and you can't justify 3 losses getting a seed even if they were to eventual SoCon champ, CAA champ & defending FBS NC.....

come on appaholic... i know you can remember all the way back to 05 when we finished the year at 8-3 and got a 2 seed

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
If Villanova wins out ... and the loser of Woff/ASU wins out ... I think its a coin flip who gets the last seed.

terrierbob
October 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'd really really like to win, though.

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I know all that... you said "We know app will get home games just because of attendance." which is a contradiction bc to get more than one we have to be a seed! (unless others lose) xrolleyesx

Wofford got a home game against Richmond last year after going to Montana and getting a win. Neither Richmond nor Wofford were seeded last year and richmonds first game was at home. It came down to money. We know how the NCAA does it and app can outbid practically anybody

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think it's impossible for Wofford to lose and still grab the fourth seed.

I think James Madison, the App/Wofford winner and Weber State are seeds assuming winning out. Weber State could potentially be passed by Montana for a seed if they have a slip-up. I think the App/Wofford loser would be behind the following teams, given the appropriate scenarios: UNH (10-1, winning out), Villanova (9-2, winning out), Montana (11-1, winning out), William & Mary (9-2, winning out over Richmond and James Madison), Southern Illinois (9-2, winning out, win over UNI), Western Illinois (9-2, winning out over SIU and UNI), UNI (winning out with SIU losing to WIU), Cal Poly (beating Wisconsin, winning out). Obviously, I think most of those things are unlikely, with the exception of Villanova, Montana, SIU and UNI, though it's debateable (if not unlikely) that either of the last two would get a seed over Wofford.

In other words, if Wofford loses, root AGAINST 'Nova and against Montana, (though rooting against 'Nova means rooting for UNH, which could pose a further undefeated problem!).

Appaholic
October 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
come on appaholic... i know you can remember all the way back to 05 when we finished the year at 8-3 and got a 2 seed

Yeah, but that team lost to two FBS teams (Big 12 and SEC) and a close one to Furman...I know JMU is as good as alot of FBS teams, but they lost to Duke handily, so our lose to them was to a lower ranked team at the time. And if we lose to Wofford (or God forbid, Elon or Western), then that will be ANOTHER lose to a lower ranked team which should, in all fairness, knock us out of the seed argument.....we can prove them moot in playoffs anyway.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Wofford got a home game against Richmond last year after going to Montana and getting a win. Neither Richmond nor Wofford were seeded last year and richmonds first game was at home. It came down to money. We know how the NCAA does it and app can outbid practically anybody

Just to clarify, both Richmond and Wofford's bids were about equal. It came down to 'welfare of the athetes' ... yours just played at Montana and ours played at home.

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just to clarify, both Richmond and Wofford's bids were about equal. It came down to 'welfare of the athetes' ... yours just played at Montana and ours played at home.

Says who? The Selection Committee LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (Not cracking on you. The committee. You know a new term was coined after a little incident with us and them)

Syntax Error
October 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Says who? The Selection Committee LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (Not cracking on you. The committee. You know a new term was coined after a little incident with us and them)"Is it possible for the loser of APP/Wofford to still get a seed"

xnodx If the loser is not Wofford.

Appattk
October 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think so!!

If this game were in the first part of the season the losing team would have ample chances to "catch-up" in the polls. This game, being so late will probably throw the losers out of the equation.xtwocentsx

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM

JMU
UNH
UNI
Montana
Weber St.

No disrespect to a good Cal Poly team. But I don't believe they get a seed based on the fact of where they are located and I am not sure of what kind of draw they usually get for home games. If they can't get in the ball park of some of the other elite teams then they had better be ready to travel East.

ur2k
October 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Says who? The Selection Committee LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (Not cracking on you. The committee. You know a new term was coined after a little incident with us and them)

From the mouth of our AD (on his blog) who used to serve on the selection committe so he may know a few things.

http://thejim-nasium.blogspot.com/2007/11/and-away-we-go.html

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
From the mouth of our AD (on his blog) who used to serve on the selection committe so he may know a few things.

http://thejim-nasium.blogspot.com/2007/11/and-away-we-go.html

Fair enoughxthumbsupx . Can you ask him why the Socon co-champ, who got the auto bid by beating the other co-champ, got shipped across the countryxconfusedx

GolfingGriz
October 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
No disrespect to a good Cal Poly team. But I don't believe they get a seed based on the fact of where they are located and I am not sure of what kind of draw they usually get for home games. If they can't get in the ball park of some of the other elite teams then they had better be ready to travel East.

Wow, this is the definition of East Coast Bias.

KAUMASS
October 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate38

Here is a better, cleaned up East Coast bias version-Cal Poly hosts a 5th CAA team in the first round!!!

Seriously, as the playoff race starts to take shape, there are way to many scenarios that can happen in the remaining 4 weeks.

elcid96
October 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Appy will not get a top seed if they lose this one. Wofford can still make it.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM

GG,
I know you are new to this site, but these are the facts not a bias. If Cal Poly can only draw 5,000 and some other team can guarantee more who do you think will get a closer look??? They couldn't even sell out to host the Griz at the start of the season. Now I do realize that they hadn't started school yet, but come on....

BTW you guys get home games because you can draw a crowd and because you have a good team. Yep East Coast Bias at work there.... Just ask Wofford.

Syntax Error
October 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
GG,
I know you are new to this site, but these are the facts not a bias. If Cal Poly can only draw 5,000 and some other team can guarantee more who do you think will get a closer look???...A38,
I know you are new to this site, but these are the facts not a bias. CP averages (https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/File/Football/2008/teamcume(3).htm) over 10K at home in their newly remodeled stadium and guarantees have nothing to do with seeded teams. xpeacex

GolfingGriz
October 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
GG,
I know you are new to this site, but these are the facts not a bias. If Cal Poly can only draw 5,000 and some other team can guarantee more who do you think will get a closer look??? They couldn't even sell out to host the Griz at the start of the season. Now I do realize that they hadn't started school yet, but come on....

BTW you guys get home games because you can draw a crowd and because you have a good team. Yep East Coast Bias at work there.... Just ask Wofford.

Its biased because you said nothing about the quality of product that they put on the field. If they can't get a seed because its too far for east coast teams to travel(your words, not mine), than the seeding process is a joke. Also note what Syntax said regarding their attendance. I stand by what I said, that was East Coast Bias.

JALMOND
October 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
GG,

I know I'm an old timer here, but its high time the east recognizes that we play some decent football out west. CP wins out and gets the upset in Wisconsin and the committee better see that the Mustangs earned a seed (and send someone from the "power conferences" to SLO) instead of giving it to Woffie and Appy, just because they might have played an intense football game.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
A38,
I know you are new to this site, but these are the facts not a bias. CP averages (https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/File/Football/2008/teamcume(3).htm) over 10K at home in their newly remodeled stadium and guarantees have nothing to do with seeded teams. xpeacex

Hey Syntax

I stand corrected.... Give them a seed!!! they obiviously deserve it.

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah, but that team lost to two FBS teams (Big 12 and SEC) and a close one to Furman...I know JMU is as good as alot of FBS teams, but they lost to Duke handily, so our lose to them was to a lower ranked team at the time. And if we lose to Wofford (or God forbid, Elon or Western), then that will be ANOTHER lose to a lower ranked team which should, in all fairness, knock us out of the seed argument.....we can prove them moot in playoffs anyway.

Duke is 4-3 now after just knocking off Vandy, who was ranked earlier this season, and 28th ranked I-A in the Sagarin. 4-3 BCS is as good as 6-1 non BCS IMHO (and in the Sagarin's opinion too). Duke is WAY better than they have been in the past several years. Heck, maybe their best team in 14 years since they last went to a bowl in 94' (ok, I know thats not saying much). In their remaining 5 games, @ 3-4 Wake, 2-6 NC State, @ 3-4 Clemson, @ VT, and #22 UNC they'll be favored at home against NC State, and at least have a chance @ Wake @ Clemson, very slim @ VT & their rivalry game with UNC. I think its 50-50 Duke makes 6-6 and goes bowling.
Not your 0-12/1-11/2-10 Duke of old.

JMU isn't as good as Duke and not nearly as good as their #47 Sagarin which puts them ahead of 74 I-A teams. But JMU is probably as good as your bottom half non BCS teams which would be your bottom 25-30 of the 120 BCS teams.

theasushow
October 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Duke is 4-3 now after just knocking off Vandy, who was ranked earlier this season, and 28th ranked I-A in the Sagarin. 4-3 BCS is as good as 6-1 non BCS IMHO (and in the Sagarin's opinion too). Duke is WAY better than they have been in the past several years. Heck, maybe their best team in 14 years since they last went to a bowl in 94' (ok, I know thats not saying much). In their remaining 5 games, @ 3-4 Wake, 2-6 NC State, @ 3-4 Clemson, @ VT, and #22 UNC they'll be favored at home against NC State, and at least have a chance @ Wake @ Clemson, very slim @ VT & their rivalry game with UNC. I think its 50-50 Duke makes 6-6 and goes bowling.

JMU isn't as good as Duke and not nearly as good as their #47 Sagarin which puts them ahead of 74 I-A teams. But JMU is probably as good as your bottom half non BCS teams which would be your bottom 25-30 of the 120 BCS teams.

Ok guys, we should know by now that if we mention the "bad duke loss that jmu suffered" that Jmu fans will instantly dish out mounds and mounds of statistics and polls and rankings and everything else justifying the loss by JMU. In my opinion we just need to let it go...that was 2 months ago, I'm pretty sure Matthews and Landers and company have pushed that loss aside. And jmu is still number 1 so that loss had little impact on their fcs schedule.

(btw wake is 4-3, not 3-4, but either way i think they will beat duke)

blueballs
October 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Wofford loses possibly yes, App loses no.

It has happened before... in 2001 FU and GSU met in the 11th week at Paulson in a classic that GSU won. They were ranked 2 and 3 coming in and Furman only fell to four because the game was so tight. I can't remember who lost the next week but it allowed Furman to gain a top four seed in the (at that time) new regionalization format also known that year as the SoCon redux.

GSU was seeded 2 and FU 3 and FU snapped GSU's 16 year playoff home winning streak in the semis before falling to Montana (Furman shot their wad in the semis) in the final.

Appaholic
October 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM

This Duke team by far is the best since '94. No disrespect intended, just trying to make comparison of this year's teams potential 3 losses relative to '05 teams 3 losses and still got a seed. xpeacex

Rekdiver
October 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Never happen as long as the CAA gets 10 teams in the field.......

94Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I don't see it happening at all. If Wofford wins this weekend, Appy would have 2 FCS losses, and I think the field is too deep to give them a seed. They would certainly play the first round at home, but not a seed. If Apy wins this weekend, Wofford does not get a seed. Again the deep field, but, the selection committee will not seed Wofford because of the small stadium size and attendance. We might get a first round home game, or we might get shipped corss country again. Only one SoCon team will be seeded.

Appaholic
October 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Only one SoCon team will be seeded.

You mean The Citadel won't get a seed? Even with Cadet Blanchard passing to Cadet Roberts? xwhistlex

apppackdad
October 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The Citadel will be seeded #1 if they beat South Georgia because we all know that beating the 6 time national champs is the only criterion for FCS football.No one has ever really beaten the Eagles however. They have only given games away and those don't really count. xrolleyesx

blueballs
October 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
The Citadel will be seeded #1 if they beat South Georgia because we all know that beating the 6 time national champs is the only criterion for FCS football.No one has ever really beaten the Eagles however. They have only given games away and those don't really count. xrolleyesx

Good, Now that you have come to realize that truth don't you dare forget it!!!xsmiley_wix