18. Furman Paladins 6-372218
19. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 6-271515
20. McNeese State Cowboys 4-366511
21. Lafayette Leopards 6-158524
22. South Carolina State Bulldogs 6-2489NR
23. Harvard Crimson 5-139525
24. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 7-2270NR
25. Tennessee State Tigers 6-215619

Others receiving votes: Texas State 127, South Dakota State 95, Maine 70, Jacksonville State 67, North Dakota State 66, Prairie View 63, Georgia Southern 60, Hampton 54, Florida A&M 47, Colgate 44, Northwestern State 33, Eastern Washington 32, Grambling 27, Penn 26, Albany 25, UC Davis 25, Eastern Kentucky 24, San Diego 14, Holy Cross 11, Sacred Heart 10, Monmouth 4, North Dakota 4, Morgan State 3, Dayton 2.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Liberty is too high, especially with Lafayette 4 spots below.

IaaScribe
October 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
agreed. I have Harvard 18, Lafayette 19, Liberty 20. Seems like that should be the natural order.

SuperJon
October 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
You won't see any complaint from me.

Edit: I meant I wouldn't complain about the guys above me said. I figured we'd be able 19.

DetroitFlyer
October 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
1. James Madison Dukes (98) 7-12,5941
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (3) 6-22,4572
3. Wofford Terriers (2) 6-12,3244
4. Cal Poly Mustangs (1) 5-12,2106
5. Northern Iowa Panthers 6-22,0335
6. Montana Grizzlies 7-11,9598
7. Villanova Wildcats 5-21,8237
8. Richmond Spiders 6-31,7789
9. New Hampshire Wildcats 6-11,68710
10. Elon Phoenix 7-21,5813
11. Central Arkansas Bears 7-11,51413
12. Western Illinois Leathernecks 5-21,47312
13. Weber State Wildcats 7-21,46116
14. Southern Illinois Salukis 5-21,39114
15. Massachusetts Minutemen 5-397617
16. William & Mary Tribe 5-279223
17. Liberty Flames 7-176320
18. Furman Paladins 6-372218
19. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 6-271515
20. McNeese State Cowboys 4-366511
21. Lafayette Leopards 6-158524
22. South Carolina State Bulldogs 6-2489NR
23. Harvard Crimson 5-139525
24. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 7-2270NR
25. Tennessee State Tigers 6-215619

Others receiving votes: Texas State 127, South Dakota State 95, Maine 70, Jacksonville State 67, North Dakota State 66, Prairie View 63, Georgia Southern 60, Hampton 54, Florida A&M 47, Colgate 44, Northwestern State 33, Eastern Washington 32, Grambling 27, Penn 26, Albany 25, UC Davis 25, Eastern Kentucky 24, San Diego 14, Holy Cross 11, Sacred Heart 10, Monmouth 4, North Dakota 4, Morgan State 3, Dayton 2.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

Woo Hoo!!!!!! Dayton is all the way up to #49. Just wait till we beat #43 USD this weekend....

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!!! Dayton is all the way up to #49. Just wait till we beat #43 USD this weekend....

Congrats! xsmiley_wix

I was surprised to see the USD/Jax game this weekend. The Dayton/USD game should be a good one though! Winner will likely travel to NJ or NY depending on the Albany/Monmouth game.

Tribe4SF
October 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Elon is too high. They've played two top 10s, and been throttled by both. I don't have McNeese in the top 25.

Weber State's ranking is still ridiculous. They definitely belong in the top 10.

nmatsen
October 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
what a flipping joke, so what if Cal Poly beat Southern Freaking Utah at home. That is what you are supposed to do. We had to go on the road to what is "typically" the most hostile environment in our conference and and one of the most in the country not to mention a pre-season top 15 pick, came out with a W using a back up QB. AND WE GOT JUMPED????!!!!!!

I normally don't care too much about rankings but this late in the year they get important when you are looking at seeds for the post season. After this weekend, if we are fortunate to get out of Macomb with a W, we have no opportunities to make gains in the polls. Especially if when teams ahead of us lose we just get jumped by some body because they beat up on SUU at home? Give me a break!

USDFAN_55
October 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Congrats! xsmiley_wix

I was surprised to see the USD/Jax game this weekend. The Dayton/USD game should be a good one though! Winner will likely travel to NJ or NY depending on the Albany/Monmouth game.

Both starting DE's went out with broken legs, as did the starting center. I've never heard of so many broken legs in one game.

danefan
October 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Both starting DE's went out with broken legs, as did the starting center. I've never heard of so many broken legs in one game.
Broken legs? That's crazy! Wow.

So that's it for the season for those guys. What do you think for this weekend's matchup?

dbackjon
October 27th, 2008, 01:28 PM
what a flipping joke, so what if Cal Poly beat Southern Freaking Utah at home. That is what you are supposed to do. We had to go on the road to what is "typically" the most hostile environment in our conference and and one of the most in the country not to mention a pre-season top 15 pick, came out with a W using a back up QB. AND WE GOT JUMPED????!!!!!!

I normally don't care too much about rankings but this late in the year they get important when you are looking at seeds for the post season. After this weekend, if we are fortunate to get out of Macomb with a W, we have no opportunities to make gains in the polls. Especially if when teams ahead of us lose we just get jumped by some body because they beat up on SUU at home? Give me a break!

You struggled to beat YSU, who lost to the same SUU that you are deriding...

Preseason doesn't mean a thing. Obviously, YSU is nowhere near a top 40 team.

nmatsen
October 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cal Poly struggled to beat SDSU, we didn't. Yet they are higher than us in the polls. Come up with a better "excuse" than that.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think this poll looks better IMO than ours does... which is not usual

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Cal Poly struggled to beat SDSU, we didn't. Yet they are higher than us in the polls. Come up with a better "excuse" than that.

I agree with you that Poly should be lower. I have them at #8 in my top 25.

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Remember, they only seed the top 4 teams and one of the top 3 teams will take another loss this week so you will have a chance to move up with a win. Still, none of this matters because of the playoffs and we will find out how good everyone is once they start playing each other in late November.

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Elon is too high. They've played two top 10s, and been throttled by both. I don't have McNeese in the top 25.

Weber State's ranking is still ridiculous. They definitely belong in the top 10.

Agreed. Weber State is #7 in my vote and should be a seed if they win out, although I don't think they will.

AZGrizFan
October 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM

They're still 2-7. You're still about 6 slots too high. Don't bitch.

malibudude
October 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM

UNI beat SDSU by 14 at Home. CP prevailed over the Jacks by 14 in Brookings, I am struggling with the word struggled.

USDFAN_55
October 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Broken legs? That's crazy! Wow.

So that's it for the season for those guys. What do you think for this weekend's matchup?

Well it should still be a good game. USD is riding the nation's longest home winning streak, so hopefully home field advantage can come though for us this week. Missing both starting DE's will seiously hurt our pass rush. I'm thinking it will be a shootout. John Mathews will have a huge game, and hopefully we can squeak by with a close victory. If we lose this game, our hopes for a PFL championship and the GIC a done. Our backs are against the wall. It should be interesting to see how the players respond.

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately, 'Stangs pretty much throttled the Rabbits, xbawlingx but in Brookings, not at Spanos Field.

Having watched both games, using SDSU as the comparison, Stangs would probably beat UNI. xtwocentsx

mango43
October 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Cal Poly didn't struggle with SDSU, that game was pretty much over one play into the 4th quarter when Cal Poly's RB went 81-yards and opened the lead to 35-14. Tell me where they struggled xconfusedx

Silenoz
October 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Well it was a 1 point win on a missed extra point to a bad team(or was it blocked? I didn't see the play), so I figure the jump is understandable.

slostang
October 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Cal Poly beats SDSU by 14 on the road and UNI beats them by 14 at home. Am I missing something here???? Last I checked a 14 point road win is better than a 14 point home win.

Look at the stats of both games and you tell me who looked more impressive:

Total offense:

SDSU 390 UNI 433 (plus 43 yards UNI at home)

SDSU 290 CP 419 (plus 129 yards CP on the road)

BTW, SUU beat YSU by 7, UNI only beat them by 1.

Maroon&White
October 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Last time I checked they both counted as 1 win.

UNIFanSince1983
October 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
It was blocked, but I do not agree with my fellow Panther fan. What have we done this year to even be ranked #5? In my opinion maybe Cal Poly shouldn't be higher than us, but I think Villanova, Richmond, and possibly Montana or Weber State should be.

If we win out then yes we deserve it, but so far we do not deserve to be so high in this poll or any other.

NDB
October 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Cal Poly beats SDSU by 14 on the road and UNI beats them by 14 at home. Am I missing something here???? Last I checked a 14 point road win is better than a 14 point home win.

Look at the stats of both games and you tell me who looked more impressive:

Total offense:

SDSU 390 UNI 433 (plus 43 yards UNI at home)

SDSU 290 CP 419 (plus 129 yards CP on the road)

BTW, SUU beat YSU by 7, UNI only beat them by 1.

THE LAW OF TRANSITIVITY DOES NOT APPLY TO FOOTBALL!!!

slostang
October 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
THE LAW OF TRANSITIVITY DOES NOT APPLY TO FOOTBALL!!!

I agree, but he was the one that was using it so I gave him something to chew on.

Originally Posted by nmatsen

Cal Poly did not struggle against SDSU.

NDB
October 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I agree, but he was the one that was using it so I gave him something to chew on.

OKAY!

SORRY ABOUT THAT.

BOY DO I HAVE EGG ON MY FACE.

nmatsen
October 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Let me know regress a bit. I wen't a little "overboard" after seeing the poll so I feel I should explain a bit about my "un-orthodox" comments.

First and fore-most. My problem with Cal-Poly is not that they are ranked ahead of UNI. I am sure that Cal-Poly is a very quality team worthy of a #4 ranking. Not my beef.

My beef was that they JUMPED over UNI after UNI picked up a conference road win. If Cal Poly thinks that road wins in the Valley are easy they have no further to look than former conference foe NDSU or SDSU. Ask them how easy it is to win on the road in the Valley. We should not be penalized a spot in the polls by winning. When a team loses, everyone moves up one. That is how it should be.

the "vs SDSU" comments.

I, like others, do not put stock in "comparing victories" I was just responding to someone's post knocking our win. My only reasoning behind my comments were that during the SDSU vs Cal Poly game I remember seeing a second half score that made it appear that it was a close ball game. I recall the SDSU game vs UNI a rather one sided game that could have easily been a 21-28 point victory had our O coordinator not gotten lax in calling plays.

Again, please do not take this as a knock on Cal Poly, please look at this more as me seeing number 3 got beat so everyone behind them moved up. I was just shocked to see us get "jumped."

coover
October 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Enough!!! That's enough. No more screaming, guys.

By the way, I've seen both UNI and Cal Poly this year. UNI doesn't even belong on the same field as the Mustangs.

ericsaid
October 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What is this blashphemy of JMU not getting all of the first place votes?

slostang
October 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Let me know regress a bit. I wen't a little "overboard" after seeing the poll so I feel I should explain a bit about my "un-orthodox" comments.

First and fore-most. My problem with Cal-Poly is not that they are ranked ahead of UNI. I am sure that Cal-Poly is a very quality team worthy of a #4 ranking. Not my beef.

My beef was that they JUMPED over UNI after UNI picked up a conference road win. If Cal Poly thinks that road wins in the Valley are easy they have no further to look than former conference foe NDSU or SDSU. Ask them how easy it is to win on the road in the Valley. We should not be penalized a spot in the polls by winning. When a team loses, everyone moves up one. That is how it should be.

the "vs SDSU" comments.

I, like others, do not put stock in "comparing victories" I was just responding to someone's post knocking our win. My only reasoning behind my comments were that during the SDSU vs Cal Poly game I remember seeing a second half score that made it appear that it was a close ball game. I recall the SDSU game vs UNI a rather one sided game that could have easily been a 21-28 point victory had our O coordinator not gotten lax in calling plays.

Again, please do not take this as a knock on Cal Poly, please look at this more as me seeing number 3 got beat so everyone behind them moved up. I was just shocked to see us get "jumped."

Fair enough. I felt the same way last week when Cal Poly beat a ranked MVFC team on the road by 14 and UNI beat a similiarly ranked MVFC team at home by 10 and they jumped Cal Poly. I hope that we both get a chance to prove ourselves in the playoffs. I think both are very good teams and should do well.

nmatsen
October 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
touche

malibudude
October 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM

the "vs SDSU" comments.

It's all good.

JayJ79
October 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM

winning 42-28 is "struggling"?

McNeese75
October 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
UNI beat SDSU by 14 at Home. CP prevailed over the Jacks by 14 in Brookings, I am struggling with the word struggled.

xeekx You took the keystrokes away from me. UNI is overrated as it is xwhistlex

R.A.
October 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think this poll looks better IMO than ours does... which is not usual

I concur xnodx

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Ditto on that. Sounds like Weber and Elon should be flipped.

Stang Fever
October 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I agree with you that Poly should be lower. I have them at #8 in my top 25.

8 is way too low. Why cause we missed a 20 yard field goal in the last seconds to Montana??? I understnad you cant go back in time. But the kicker would make that 9-10 times. So with that. Montana got LUCKY!!!!

McNeese St also got lucky that the game was put off due to the storm. Cause a win against them (at the time was a top 10 team) we would be in the hunt for 1 or 2

Stang Fever
October 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Fair enough. I felt the same way last week when Cal Poly beat a ranked MVFC team on the road by 14 and UNI beat a similiarly ranked MVFC team at home by 10 and they jumped Cal Poly. I hope that we both get a chance to prove ourselves in the playoffs. I think both are very good teams and should do well.

I agree with SLOSTANG cause I thought the same thing when we got jumped. So ONE jump deserves ANOTHER right ;-)xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

malibudude
October 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
8 is way too low. Why cause we missed a 20 yard field goal in the last seconds to Montana??? I understnad you cant go back in time. But the kicker would make that 9-10 times. So with that. Montana got LUCKY!!!!

McNeese St also got lucky that the game was put off due to the storm. Cause a win against them (at the time was a top 10 team) we would be in the hunt for 1 or 2

Well, it was 27 yards and he missed one from 29 Yards at the same end on Saturday. Violent acts of nature, take precedent over football games. What would have happened in Lake Charles if there was no hurricane, who knows? Montana played a great game against CP, CP played for a chip shot field goal to win and it missed, not luck, just happens. McNeese did not get lucky with the cancellation, it was a home game and the team and the community had to deal with and I assume is still dealing with a rather substantial hurricane. All things in perspective.

Stang Fever
October 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Well, it was 27 yards and he missed one from 29 Yards at the same end on Saturday. Violent acts of nature, take precedent over football games. What would have happened in Lake Charles if there was no hurricane, who knows? Montana played a great game against CP, CP played for a chip shot field goal to win and it missed, not luck, just happens. McNeese did not get lucky with the cancellation, it was a home game and the team and the community had to deal with and I assume is still dealing with a rather substantial hurricane. All things in perspective.

Agreed with everything you said. When I say LUCKY.. I dont mean it to sound insensitive to what was going on.. Just using it more as a Saying. then anything else

malibudude
October 27th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Agreed with everything you said. When I say LUCKY.. I dont mean it to sound insenititve to what was going on.. Just using it more as a Saying. then anything else

CP is in a tough spot with only 10 games, frustrating. All fans are rallying around their teams, including CP fans. Yes we may have had a result with McNeese, but it did not happen, yes we have to play Wisconsin in friggin' November because our FCS brethren would not give us a game and yes after the hurricane cancellation, 8 or 9 available teams would not take a game with us on their bye date. There you go. The 2008 CP football team is very, very good, they just need the stage to prove it, which is where I think you were going with your posts. Lots of good teams out there, and I think we are one of them, in FCS speak we come from the back of beyond, a non-autobid conference way way out West. Hopefully all works out

Stang Fever
October 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I hope it all works out. I think we have the offense to make a long run in the playoffs. The defense is still learning to come together. How terrible is it that 8 or 9 teams out there. Knew what happened with the hurricane and still wouldnt help us out.

malibudude
October 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I hope it all works out. I think we have the offense to make a long run in the playoffs. The defense is still learning to come together. How terrible is it that 8 or 9 teams out there. Knew what happened with the hurricane and still wouldnt help us out.

It should, if CP takes care of business the next three weeks. If CP wins out and manages a positive result at Wisky, which no one is counting on, I do not see how CP would not be the #1 seed, regardless of current rankings.

MaximumBobcat
October 28th, 2008, 12:07 AM

Damn. :D

Edge316007
October 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
It should, if CP takes care of business the next three weeks. If CP wins out and manages a positive result at Wisky, which no one is counting on, I do not see how CP would not be the #1 seed, regardless of current rankings.

How do you figure? App had the win over Michigan (much more impressive than this Wisconsin team) and wasn't even seeded last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them seeded at #3 or #4 (though I've argued the opposite in another thread) but App wasn't even seeded last year over SIU. No way CP jumps JMU whose only loss is to FBS Duke right now.

malibudude
October 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM
How do you figure? App had the win over Michigan (much more impressive than this Wisconsin team) and wasn't even seeded last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them seeded at #3 or #4 (though I've argued the opposite in another thread) but App wasn't even seeded last year over SIU. No way CP jumps JMU whose only loss is to FBS Duke right now.

CP would have one FCS loss and two FBS wins. JMU got beat handily by Duke.

Edge316007
October 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM
And JMU would have only an FBS loss with many quality wins. Again, CP's only quality win (as of now) is NW State. Sure if they beat Wisconsin it will be impressive and it may or may not earn them a seed, but it won't/shouldn't earn them the #1. No way.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM
How do you figure? App had the win over Michigan (much more impressive than this Wisconsin team) and wasn't even seeded last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them seeded at #3 or #4 (though I've argued the opposite in another thread) but App wasn't even seeded last year over SIU. No way CP jumps JMU whose only loss is to FBS Duke right now.Are you f&%$ing serious? App wasn't seeded because they beat Michigan at the beginning of the season, and then lost two more times before the playoffs. And even though this Wisconsin team is not what last year's Michigan team was, Wisconsin could still mop the floor with the majority of FCS teams.

If Cal Poly beats Wisconsin the week before the playoffs, they are the #1 seed. Period. End of discussion.

I'm baffled as to how you could even disagree with that. xeyebrowx

Edge316007
October 28th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Because maybe I don't think the gap is as big as advertised.

Wisconsin is not good this year. They're a name but they're a bad team in an overrated conference. They lost to Michigan who lost who Toledo. Their wins are over teams like Akron and Marshall. Wisconsin is not NEAR what last year's Michigan team was.

And my point about App was that they only had 1 more FCS loss than this Cal Poly team but more quality wins, yet still weren't seeded let alone #1.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Because maybe I don't think the gap is as big as advertised.

Wisconsin is not good this year. They're a name but they're a bad team in an overrated conference. They lost to Michigan who lost who Toledo. Their wins are over teams like Akron and Marshall.Actually, they beat Fresno State when they were ranked 21, and just beat Illinois, who is no slouch.

Wisconsin playing at home would be double-digit favorites over any top 10 team in FCS. A win here right before the playoffs would give Cal Poly the #1 seed.

Edge316007
October 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Illinois isn't much better than Wisconsin and Fresno is beating up on a weak conference.

I realize that Wisconsin would be favorites and would likely win against any FCS team, but I just don't think a win by Cal Poly here would push them over JMU for the #1.

I respectfully disagree.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Illinois isn't much better than Wisconsin and Fresno is beating up on a weak conference.

I realize that Wisconsin would be favorites and would likely win against any FCS team, but I just don't think a win by Cal Poly here would push them over JMU for the #1.

I respectfully disagree.I can't see where you're coming from at all, but no worries, I guess.

It's a good thing us fans don't pick the seeds. xpeacex

dbackjon
October 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM

I respectfully disagree.

No offense, but you are digging a big hole here...

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
CP won't be a seed. If they win out they are in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

JALMOND
October 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM

At the beginning of last year, the way Michigan was playing, Savannah State could have possibly beaten them. By the end, they were a much better team. Regardless, though, Michigan is still Michigan, Wisconsin is still Wisconsin (and for the New Hampshire fans, Northwestern is still Northwestern), and for an FCS team to beat a Big 10 squad is pretty impressive. Wisconsin will definitely play in a bowl this year. Duke had a good start but they are back at the bottom of the ACC (usual place). Duke may be better than San Diego State, but hard to say they are better than Wisconsin.

malibudude
October 28th, 2008, 01:31 AM

I respectfully disagree.

I really could have made this a bit more funny, however, modesty interjects, just because you guys play each other does not make for a tough schedule, per se. Years change, conferences change and most importantly teams change. There is football outside of the CAA and SoCon, and this year in particular, very good football. The 3 or 4 BSC/GWFC teams in play are very, very good.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
It will be tough for CP to get a seed even if they beat Wisconsin (I think they should lay back to prepare for the playoffs, if they win the preceding games) because they crapped on the UM game.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 01:56 AM

I respectfully disagree.

Correct. CP beats Wis (which I'll be very surprised if it happens) and finish 9-1 they'll likely be the #2 seed. The only way I would see them jumping JMU would be if that same weekend JMU barely beat a 3-8/4-7 Towson team. The ? is if CP loses to Wis as expected do they still get the #3 or #4 seed?

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Correct. CP beats Wis (which I'll be very surprised if it happens) and finish 9-1 they'll likely be the #2 seed. The only way I would see them jumping JMU would be if that same weekend JMU barely beat a 3-8/4-7 Towson team. The ? is if CP loses to Wis as expected do they still get the #3 or #4 seed?Based on what?

Even if JMU cruises through the rest of the season, no team in FCS would have made a bigger statement, especially right before the playoffs, than Cal Poly winning against Wisconsin.

Granted, this whole situation is unlikely, but even thinking hypothetically, I can't believe anyone could possibly think JMU deserves the #1 seed if Cal Poly wins out and beats Wisconsin. It honestly doesn't make any sense. That would be the biggest win any FCS team has had all year.

PurpleandGold
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
So one big win to close the season is worth more than a season's worth of good wins?

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Based on what?

Even if JMU cruises through the rest of the season, no team in FCS would have made a bigger statement, especially right before the playoffs, than Cal Poly winning against Wisconsin.

Granted, this whole situation is unlikely, but even thinking hypothetically, I can't believe anyone could possibly think JMU deserves the #1 seed if Cal Poly wins out and beats Wisconsin. It honestly doesn't make any sense. That would be the biggest win any FCS team has had all year.

Umm beating Umass, App, Richmond, and Villanova isn't a big enough statement for you? Sorry even if Cal Poly wins JMU should still be #1 (assuming they win out). Now if Cal Poly had not lost to Montana it would be a different story.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM
So one big win to close the season is worth more than a season's worth of good wins?Cal Poly already has several good wins, and one close loss that could have been a great win. You act as if Cal Poly hasn't done anything this season. JMU didn't look like the clear, undisputed #1 against Villanova, despite the win.

If Cal Poly wins out and beats Wisconsin, it will just be icing on a very fancy cake. If that happens, they'll surely be the #1 seed.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Based on what?

I think it would be a toss-up. I, frankly, don't want the No. 1 seed.

A lot would depend on how Wisconsin does the rest of the way too. Right now they're 53 in Sagarin (six behind JMU) and haven't exactly been world beaters this year. They will probably lose to Michigan State, beat Indiana, and Minnesota will be tough, too. I think they'll be 5-6 going in.

FWIW, App State beat Michigan last year and didn't get a seed.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
FWIW, App State beat Michigan last year and didn't get a seed.I already said something about that earlier:

App wasn't seeded because they beat Michigan at the beginning of the season, and then lost two more times before the playoffs.Cal Poly beating Wisconsin right before the playoffs shows the caliber of football they're playing at playoff time, and not what happened in week 2 or 3. It works the same way if a team loses its last game, ALA Montana in 2005. We had a lock on a seed if only we had beat MSU, but we lost, so we fell out of seed consideration. Same with teams trying to make the payoffs. If a team is undefeated, and loses its last three games to end up 8-3, they might not end up making the playoffs.

The last few games of the season are often times the most important in determining playoffs/seeds, and a Cal Poly win over Wisconsin the week before the playoffs warrants a #1 seed, IMO. xpeacex

SideLine Shooter
October 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
This is why every Saturday they strap it on and play the game. What matters is who is left standing after December 19th. xnodx xnodx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Cal Poly already has several good wins, and one close loss that could have been a great win. You act as if Cal Poly hasn't done anything this season. JMU didn't look like the clear, undisputed #1 against Villanova, despite the win.

If Cal Poly wins out and beats Wisconsin, it will just be icing on a very fancy cake. If that happens, they'll surely be the #1 seed.

And how does Cal Poly look like the clear undisputed #1 with losing to Montana? The fact is JMU won and our only loss to date is to FBS Duke NOT FCS Montana. I mean by using your logic Montana probably wouldn't even be in my polls with that "close" win to a D2. A win is a win and nobody can argue that Villanova wasn't a quality SOS opponent. JMU = more quality wins than Cal Poly.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
And how does Cal Poly look like the clear undisputed #1 with losing to Montana? The fact is JMU won and our only loss to date is to FBS Duke NOT FCS Montana. I mean by using your logic Montana probably wouldn't even be in my polls with that "close" win to a D2. A win is a win and nobody can argue that Villanova wasn't a quality SOS opponent. JMU = more quality wins than Cal Poly.Cal Poly also hasn't had to rely on a last second Punt Return touchdown, and a holy jesus miraculous TD pass to win any of their games. They're also a missed chip shot away from being undefeated. They've crushed their opponents pretty heavily week in and week out.

Also, if we want to bring Montana into this, why is the mantra "A win is a win" when last year all Montana did was beat the teams put in front of it, and people still talked about how they were overrated all season long? And for the record, if losing to the SoCon champion by a point shows how they really were overrated, then the SoCon must be a pretty overrated conference, itself.

Truth is, no team this year has stood out to me as the clear-cut #1 team. If Cal Poly doesn't get a seed, it won't matter, even though they would deserve #1 with a win over Wisconsin. They'll prove their worth either way. Hopefully against a more "qualified" CAA or SoCon team.xpeacex

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Cal Poly also hasn't had to rely on a last second Punt Return touchdown, and a holy jesus miraculous TD pass to win any of their games. They're also a missed chip shot away from being undefeated. They've crushed their opponents pretty heavily week in and week out.

Also, if we want to bring Montana into this, why is the mantra "A win is a win" when last year all Montana did was beat the teams put in front of it, and people still talked about how they were overrated all season long? And for the record, if losing to the SoCon champion by a point shows how they really were overrated, then the SoCon must be a pretty overrated conference, itself.

Truth is, no team this year has stood out to me as the clear-cut #1 team. If Cal Poly doesn't get a seed, it won't matter, even though they would deserve #1 with a win over Wisconsin. They'll prove their worth either way. Hopefully against a more "qualified" CAA or SoCon team.xpeacex

The fact is JMU WON those close games and Cal Poly did not. JMU made that return TD (although it was already tied up) and the miracle catch in the end zone (although the drive was not a miracle). Cal Poly missed the chip shot. They lost. How do you take a team that is undefeated in FCS with a strong SOS and give another team with one loss in FCS play and leap frog them ahead of the #1 team? Lets penalize a team for winning close games in what should be close games? If JMU had lost to Villanova then this would have been a discussion. However, they have not. IMO Wofford or Weber is a much more clear-cut #1 team than Cal Poly if not for the simple reason that they are also undefeated with a strong SOS thus far. Cal Poly lost and while a good win over Wisconsin should have them in the top 4 it should not mean they are #1. Not when you have 3 undefeated (in FCS) teams ahead of them that both play a strong SOS.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM
The fact is JMU WON those close games and Cal Poly did not. JMU made that return TD (although it was already tied up) and the miracle catch in the end zone (although the drive was not a miracle). Cal Poly missed the chip shot. They lost. How do you take a team that is undefeated in FCS with a strong SOS and give another team with one loss in FCS play and leap frog them ahead of the #1 team? Lets penalize a team for winning close games in what should be close games?If you've been paying attention to this thread, I'm not saying they should be the unanimous #1 now, (Even though I voted them #1 in my ballot, as, again, I wasn't impressed with JMU. To me, they didn't look like the #1 team. Debate that all you want. JMU is still the nearly unanimous #1) this is all based on if Cal Poly beats Wisconsin. Cal Poly has been steamrolling since the Montana loss. It's mostly gone unnoticed, though. You won't be able to not notice if they beat two FBS teams in one season, the latter right before the playoffs. If that happens, I don't see how you could not vote them #1 and give them the #1 seed.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
If you've been paying attention to this thread, I'm not saying they should be the unanimous #1 now, (Even though I voted them #1 in my ballot, as, again, I wasn't impressed with JMU. To me, they didn't look like the #1 team. Debate that all you want. JMU is still the nearly unanimous #1) this is all based on if Cal Poly beats Wisconsin. Cal Poly has been steamrolling since the Montana loss. It's mostly gone unnoticed, though. You won't be able to not notice if they beat two FBS teams in one season, the latter right before the playoffs. If that happens, I don't see how you could not vote them #1 and give them the #1 seed.

And I'm not arguing that they are not a good team and do not deserve a high ranking. Just not the #1 ranking. There are more deserving teams in front of them.xrotatehx

wideright82
October 28th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cal Poly also hasn't had to rely on a last second Punt Return touchdown, and a holy jesus miraculous TD pass to win any of their games. They're also a missed chip shot away from being undefeated. They've crushed their opponents pretty heavily week in and week out.

To be honest that paragraph alone disproves your point. The sign of a great team is being able to win, period. Cal Poly has only had to prove themselves great once this year and they failed. You some how try to punish JMU for finding a way to win, but you give credit to CP for not knowing how to win(chipped fg)? Where do you get your logic? JMU is #1 in FCS until they lose in FCS.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I already said something about that earlier:

Cal Poly beating Wisconsin right before the playoffs shows the caliber of football they're playing at playoff time, and not what happened in week 2 or 3. It works the same way if a team loses its last game, ALA Montana in 2005. We had a lock on a seed if only we had beat MSU, but we lost, so we fell out of seed consideration. Same with teams trying to make the payoffs. If a team is undefeated, and loses its last three games to end up 8-3, they might not end up making the playoffs.

The last few games of the season are often times the most important in determining playoffs/seeds, and a Cal Poly win over Wisconsin the week before the playoffs warrants a #1 seed, IMO. xpeacex

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread. :o

I still think it's a toss-up, but wouldn't be mad or have a problem if Cal Poly got the #1 seed. Really, so long as you get the #2 you avoid the pain in the arse of flying all the way out there for a game. The only time you'd meet would be in the championship game and that works out better for an east coast team anyway.

EDIT: The above would also apply to the #3 seed.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM
To be honest that paragraph alone disproves your point. The sign of a great team is being able to win, period. Cal Poly has only had to prove themselves great once this year and they failed. You some how try to punish JMU for finding a way to win, but you give credit to CP for not knowing how to win(chipped fg)? Where do you get your logic? JMU is #1 in FCS until they lose in FCS.How does it disprove my point? My point is that a Cal Poly win over Wisconsin would trump anything JMU has done. Add in the fact that I think Cal Poly is playing better football right now than JMU, and you get why I voted them #1. Also, Cal Poly has had many chances to prove themselves against good teams, and they have manhandled them. South Dakota State, San Diego State, Northwestern State, and barely losing to Montana. If you knock Cal Poly for losing to Montana, then you must also knock Villanova and Richmond as not beating JMU, even though both teams almost did, and could do so in the future. And even going further, Montana should be ranked ahead of Cal Poly, then, having beaten them, which would put Weber State above Montana. Weber State is still undefeated vs. FCS, yet they're back outside the top 10. I don't think that's fair to any of those teams. I gave Cal Poly my #1 vote, but I still think the top 5 teams could all make a case.

In the end, this is just a gigantic pissing contest. In all likelyhood, Cal Poly won't beat Wisconsin, and JMU will get the #1 seed, provided they don't lose, which after the last two weeks looks very possible, IMO.

A win is a win, but there's a lot more that dictates where teams rank. xpeacex

MacThor
October 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ranking teams based on projecting hypothetical FBS upsets 3.5 weeks from now?

Seeds don't matter. IIRC the 3 CAA teams to win it all the past decade weren't even conference champions.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Ranking teams based on projecting hypothetical FBS upsets 3.5 weeks from now?

Seeds don't matter. IIRC the 3 CAA teams to win it all the past decade weren't even conference champions.I ranked Poly #1 because I think they're #1 right now. Not because they might have a chance at beating an FBS three weeks from now. xrolleyesx

smallcollegefbfan
October 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
How does it disprove my point? My point is that a Cal Poly win over Wisconsin would trump anything JMU has done. Add in the fact that I think Cal Poly is playing better football right now than JMU, and you get why I voted them #1. Also, Cal Poly has had many chances to prove themselves against good teams, and they have manhandled them. South Dakota State, San Diego State, Northwestern State, and barely losing to Montana. If you knock Cal Poly for losing to Montana, then you must also knock Villanova and Richmond as not beating JMU, even though both teams almost did, and could do so in the future. And even going further, Montana should be ranked ahead of Cal Poly, then, having beaten them, which would put Weber State above Montana. Weber State is still undefeated vs. FCS, yet they're back outside the top 10. I don't think that's fair to any of those teams. I gave Cal Poly my #1 vote, but I still think the top 5 teams could all make a case.

In the end, this is just a gigantic pissing contest. In all likelyhood, Cal Poly won't beat Wisconsin, and JMU will get the #1 seed, provided they don't lose, which after the last two weeks looks very possible, IMO.

I agree that if Poly runs the table easy and beats Wisconsin that they do have an argument for #1. JMU has wins over #2 ASU, #7 Villanova, and #8 Richmond. Cal Poly has lost to #6 Montana and not beaten a top 10 team.

I hope Cal Poly wins because it would be great for FCS. The great thing about this whole debate is that none of these opinions matter because we have the playoffs to decide. It truly does not matter if you are on the road or not because all it takes is to get hot at the right time.

IMO, JMU will win the national title because they are banged up and have been very lucky. There is always a team who gets lucky in the playoffs that is not necessarily lucky now, and we all know that is all that matters.

At this point in the year you have to vote on resume and JMU simply has the better resume. Here is a look at who both teams have beaten and lost to:

James Madison (7-1,5-0)
Aug 30 at Duke................ L 7-31 32571
Sep 06 NORTH CAROLINA CENT.... W 56-7
Sep 13 *MASSACHUSETTS.......... W 52-38
Sep 20 APPALACHIAN STATE...... W 35-32
Sep 27 *at Maine............... W 24-10
Oct 04 *HOFSTRA................ W 56-0
Oct 11 *at Richmond............ W 38-31
Oct 25 *at Villanova........... W 23-19

Key Wins: #2 App State, #7 Villanova, #8 Richmond, #15 UMASS, and RV Maine
Key Losses: FBS Duke

2008 Cal Poly Football Schedule/Results (5-1)
Date Opponent Time
Aug. 30 at San Diego State W, 29-27
Sept. 6 MONTANA L, 30-28
Sept. 13 at McNeese State CANCELLED
Sept. 20 at Northwestern State W, 52-18
Sept. 27 OPEN
Oct. 4 *SOUTH DAKOTA W, 49-22
Oct. 11 OPEN
Oct. 18 at South Dakota State W, 42-28
Oct. 25 *SOUTHERN UTAH W, 69-41

Key Wins: FBS San Diego State, RV SDSU, and RV NW State
Key Losses: #6 Montana

It is not good to be a team who breezes through your schedule and has no top 25 wins as you will not be battle tested enough come playoff time and that hurts. If Poly, JMU, and App State all win out then I do believe the rankings should be 1. JMU 2. ASU 3. Cal Poly and that would give Poly a seed and home field for two games. I am pulling for Cal Poly to win out and make things interesting so there is this debate and we can finally decide it in the playoffs.

mlbowl
October 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
And how does Cal Poly look like the clear undisputed #1 with losing to Montana? The fact is JMU won and our only loss to date is to FBS Duke NOT FCS Montana. I mean by using your logic Montana probably wouldn't even be in my polls with that "close" win to a D2. A win is a win and nobody can argue that Villanova wasn't a quality SOS opponent. JMU = more quality wins than Cal Poly.

Yeah...that thrashing by way of Duke is MUCH more impressivexrolleyesx

smallcollegefbfan
October 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Not making excuses for Mickey Matthews but he does not consider a win over Duke more important than winning against App, Nova, and Richmond and thus they did not prep for that game like the others.

One defense of their loss is that they did lose to a ACC team with a winning record, 4-3, while Cal Poly's win over San Diego State is a 1-7 team in the MWC. San Diego State is a very bad team and thus not really an impressive win.

If CP beats Wisconsin, then they will have an impressive win and deserve to be back in the conversation as long as Montana wins out. If CP does beat Wisconsin, it will be evident that they are improved and should at least be a top 3 seed.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM

I said this yesterday, but the whole "Duke sucks" argument is gone. They are 27 in Sagarin, and have a 4-3 record, including wins over Virginia and Vanderbilt and a close loss against now ranked Northwestern. They got thrashed by GT, but GT is turning out to be pretty good.

We did not look good in that game, but Duke is not the same team. They're two wins away from being bowl eligible...xeekx xeekx

Having said that, a win over Wisconsin is still more impressive than a loss to Duke.

wideright82
October 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
How does it disprove my point? My point is that a Cal Poly win over Wisconsin would trump anything JMU has done. Add in the fact that I think Cal Poly is playing better football right now than JMU, and you get why I voted them #1. Also, Cal Poly has had many chances to prove themselves against good teams, and they have manhandled them. South Dakota State, San Diego State, Northwestern State, and barely losing to Montana. If you knock Cal Poly for losing to Montana, then you must also knock Villanova and Richmond as not beating JMU, even though both teams almost did, and could do so in the future. And even going further, Montana should be ranked ahead of Cal Poly, then, having beaten them, which would put Weber State above Montana. Weber State is still undefeated vs. FCS, yet they're back outside the top 10. I don't think that's fair to any of those teams. I gave Cal Poly my #1 vote, but I still think the top 5 teams could all make a case.

i was gonna keep responding but this made me laugh so we'll leave it at that. xpeacex

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM

So was that thrashing by Weber xcoffeex

mlbowl
October 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
One defense of their loss is that they did lose to a ACC team with a winning record, 4-3, while Cal Poly's win over San Diego State is a 1-7 team in the MWC. San Diego State is a very bad team and thus not really an impressive win.

yes...their 4 wins..JMU, Navy, Virginia, & Vanderbilt and losses to Northwestern & Georgia Tech (a 27 point shutout by a team that struggled with Gardner Webb) ...forgive me if I remain unimpressed.

mlbowl
October 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
They got thrashed by GT, but GT is turning out to be pretty good.

The same GT team that beat Gardner Webb 10 - 7xconfusedx

mlbowl
October 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
So was that thrashing by Weber xcoffeex

I'm fine with it...we're playing good football nowxnodx ...not needing last second hail marys' to bounce off oposing players' helmets:)

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm fine with it...we're playing good football nowxnodx ...not needing last second hail marys' to bounce off oposing players' helmets:)

........Good football against teams not ranked in the top 10. xlolx

BisonBabe
October 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wow this thread seems to have taken on a life of its own.

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Yea, because that's an indication of bad football...xrolleyesx

Not like giving up more points to Southern Utah than Adams State. That's an indication of good football. xthumbsupx

I actually tend to agree that JMU did not look like the No. 1 team on Saturday. I toyed with not having them No. 1. We've got some issues at LB that need to get sorted out and we'll see in the next few weeks if they do. If they don't, we won't need to worry about a seed.

smallcollegefbfan
October 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM
yes...their 4 wins..JMU, Navy, Virginia, & Vanderbilt and losses to Northwestern & Georgia Tech (a 27 point shutout by a team that struggled with Gardner Webb) ...forgive me if I remain unimpressed.

My point was that San Diego State has 1 win and Duke has 4 wins. Duke is a better team than San Diego State. You are right though, Duke has done nothing impressive on their end. One thing you have to admit though is that they are better than they have been in years past. Still a long way to go before they are going to contend in the ACC.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Duke beat the same UVA team 31-0 (worse than they beat JMU who beat #25 6-2 MD 31-0. You can play that transitional game all day long.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Bottom line isn't a big difference between the #1 and #2 seed. Just if all seeds made the semis (happend in 06') the #1 hosts the #4 and the #2 hosts the #3. #1 and #2 both have homefield 1st 3 rounds.

smallcollegefbfan
October 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yea, because that's an indication of bad football...xrolleyesx

Not like giving up more points to Southern Utah than Adams State. That's an indication of good football. xthumbsupx

I actually tend to agree that JMU did not look like the No. 1 team on Saturday. I toyed with not having them No. 1. We've got some issues at LB that need to get sorted out and we'll see in the next few weeks if they do. If they don't, we won't need to worry about a seed.

That is why I pointed out earlier that while I feel JMU should be #1 now that I don't think they will win it all. Still, you have to consider JMU, App, Wofford, and Weber State as legit national title contenders at this point.

mlbowl
October 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
You can play that transitional game all day long.

Yes.....I could.....because apparently my point was missed. A certain JMU fan seems to think Cal Poly's close loss to FCS Montana is far worse than a drubbing by "DUKE" simply because of the FCS - FBS argument. The ACC, as a conference, is pretty bad this year.....and Duke....well, they're still Duke.

uofmman1122
October 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
That is why I pointed out earlier that while I feel JMU should be #1 now that I don't think they will win it all. Still, you have to consider JMU, App, Wofford, and Weber State as legit national title contenders at this point.Honestly, there are quite a few more teams than just those four this season. I don't think the top 10 has been this close in a long time.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Yes.....I could.....because apparently my point was missed. A certain JMU fan seems to think Cal Poly's close loss to FCS Montana is far worse than a drubbing by "DUKE" simply because of the FCS - FBS argument. The ACC, as a conference, is pretty bad this year.....and Duke....well, they're still Duke.

I hope you're not talking about me. I don't think the Montana loss is "far worse" than the Duke loss. But, the problem I have with Cal Poly (absent a win at Wisconsin) is their other wins aren't equal to some of JMU's wins. Don't get me wrong they are good wins against good teams, but we've beaten 3 top 10 teams and UMass.

Also, the argument that our lucky win at Villanova (which, if you watched it, only the last play was 'luck') is any worse than giving up 41 to Southern Utah as an indication of "good" football is insincere.

But, I do dispute that Duke's still Duke. I think anybody who's seen them play a couple of times this year would tell you that.

Honestly, there are quite a few more teams than just those four this season. I don't think the top 10 has been this close in a long time.

I agree. I think we'll see a lot of home teams win in the first round because I think the quality is so close (giving the edge to the home team)

mlbowl
October 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I hope you're not talking about me. I don't think the Montana loss is "far worse" than the Duke loss. But, the problem I have with Cal Poly (absent a win at Wisconsin) is their other wins aren't equal to some of JMU's wins. Don't get me wrong they are good wins against good teams, but we've beaten 3 top 10 teams and UMass.

Also, the argument that our lucky win at Villanova (which, if you watched it, only the last play was 'luck') is any worse than giving up 41 to Southern Utah as an indication of "good" football is insincere.

But, I do dispute that Duke's still Duke. I think anybody who's seen them play a couple of times this year would tell you that.

I agree. I think we'll see a lot of home teams win in the first round because I think the quality is so close (giving the edge to the home team)

I was definitely not talking about youxpeacex

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I was definitely not talking about youxpeacex

Just making sure... xpeacex

Sometimes I confuse myself. :D

URMite
October 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Duke beat the same UVA team 31-0 (worse than they beat JMU who beat #25 6-2 MD 31-0. You can play that transitional game all day long.

Either you missed a ")" or I missed JMU beating MD. xlolx

People say the transitive property doesn't apply and because of matchups and the fluid nature of team sports they are mostly correct, but...

I think when you look at multiple common opponents it is still the best determination of future results (just not a perfect one). If 2 teams play the same 5 Conf foes and 1 is 5-0 the other 0-5, most would predict the undefeated team to win head to head.

URMite
October 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM

That is one good thing about our program, road wins. Last 10 seasons ('98-'07) 31 of 62 wins are away. Not to single out JMU, but I think they may be typical - 24 of 67 wins away during the same timespan (including a memorable 4 games stretch).

URMite
October 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't say it is far worse (or even worse) but it is difficult to be #1 in FCS with a FCS loss if there are teams that are undefeated against FCS with decent schedules. One way is to defeat an FBS who would undisputedly be ranked #1 in FCS.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
That is one good thing about our program, road wins. Last 10 seasons ('98-'07) 31 of 62 wins are away. Not to single out JMU, but I think they may be typical - 24 of 67 wins away during the same timespan (including a memorable 4 games stretch).

I'll take those 4 and be happy!! :D

Outside of that, we're not so good on the road in the playoffs...xbawlingx