PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me about Davidson?

LBPop
November 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I know very little about them or any of their opponents this year and I would like some clue about what to expect this Saturday. Frankly, I've seen every game that the Hoyas have played and I really don't know what to expect from them either. :o :bang:

OL FU
November 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I know very little about them or any of their opponents this year and I would like some clue about what to expect this Saturday. Frankly, I've seen every game that the Hoyas have played and I really don't know what to expect from them either. :o :bang:

They have a pretty good basketball team :D

The only non-mid-major I-AA they have played is VMI who beat the 33-0. Drake and Dayton both beat them by similar scores. .

Bub
November 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Drake beat them 58-17.

Coastal89
November 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Expect to win big. :)

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I sense a big W for the Hoyas on Saturday, Pop!

Actually, Davidson is a beautiful campus with smart kids. The "Princeton of the South."

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Sporting a 3-6 record in the Pioneer League. Bye week, last game lost Dayton,45-15.

First year Coach, runs a spread offense with even stats rushing and passing.

Shouldn't be a problem.

youwouldno
November 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I don't really like their campus, but yeah terrific school, terrible football.

SuperJon
November 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Three words about the school: Daddy's...Trust...Fund.

Nice school though.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Expect to win big. :)

Davidson is totally non-scholarship and shouldn't have been playing some scholly (like VMI, etc) teams in the first place.

Remember last year and with NO scholarships they only lost to Coastal by a TD in Conway, no less. :eek: :eek: You know the year Coastal didn't make the play-offs because of a weak schedule?

Given, THIS isn't their year, even in non-scholly competition. 2000 WAS! They were 10-0 including a 41-17 win over Georgetown..since they asked.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I don't really like their campus, but yeah terrific school, terrible football.
We differ there. I love the campus (not much fru-fru as it's traditionally been a men's school) and the town. Very historic and old south. Great college atmosphere.

Take away Furman's, App's, and GSU's scholarships and we'd be like similar on the football field pretty quickly.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Sporting a 3-6 record in the Pioneer League. Bye week, last game lost Dayton,45-15.

First year Coach, runs a spread offense with even stats rushing and passing.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Not THIS year anyway.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Davidson is totally non-scholarship and shouldn't have been playing some scholly (like VMI, etc) teams in the first place.

Remember last year and with NO scholarships they only lost to Coastal by a TD in Conway, no less. :eek: :eek: You know the year Coastal didn't make the play-offs because of a weak schedule?

Given, THIS isn't their year, even in non-scholly competition. 2000 WAS! They were 10-0 including a 41-17 win over Georgetown..since they asked.
There are very few Davidson students who are not on full scholarship. The football players are just getting academic scholarships, not athletic money. It's just like the Patriot League, in my opinion. There are not many I-AA teams that are truly non-scholarship.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
There are very few Davidson students who are not on full scholarship. The football players are just getting academic scholarships, not athletic money. It's just like the Patriot League, in my opinion. There are not many I-AA teams that are truly non-scholarship.

You'd be surprised how many are paying their own way @ Davidson.
The average Davidson student's qualifications are so high, that it's difficult for players to beat them out and the NCAA looks pretty often to make sure the athlete is truly not less qualified.

Bub
November 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Interesting point Mr. C!

Drake provides partial academic scholarships to all students who qualify, including athletes. They award approx. 4 full(tuition,room & board) academic scholarships and 6 full tuition academic scholarships to incoming freshman. I know at least 7-8 football players met the qualifications and participated in the interview-application process, but I don't believe any were awarded to players. A number of the football players are awarded partial academic scholarships, with a max that is equal to 1/2 tuition. So you're right, technically they are on scholarship, just not for their athletic skills.

Also, unlike the Patriot League, the need based awards are not bought(assumed) by the school, but remain the debt of the student.

colgate13
November 10th, 2005, 08:03 AM

You're a little off there Mr. C.

First, a ton of Davidson students are paying full freight. The most recent data they're sharing says that 35% of their students qualify for need-based aid and 13% of their students are getting merit awards (11% are getting athletic scholarships, just not in football.

Even if those groups were mutually exclusive, which they are not, that means 41% of the people are paying over $41,000 for Davidson. My educated guess is that those groups overlap some, so the 35% getting need based aid also include some of the 13% getting merit. I would put the figure of Davidson students paying their own way closer to 50% or above. Typical for liberal arts colleges of their caliber. They don't have to 'buy' students with their USN&WR ranking.

I'd also be surprised if the football team was taking a bunch of the academic merit awards. The faculty would be up in arms. Their might be 3-4 every year. Then again, given their record...

colgate13
November 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM
the NCAA looks pretty often to make sure the athlete is truly not less qualified.

That's D-III. Why would the NCAA care about a D I school providing scholarship? I can see the PFL caring, but not the NCAA.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
That's D-III. Why would the NCAA care about a D I school providing scholarship? I can see the PFL caring, but not the NCAA.

Think about it. Exaggerated case, but you get the picture. A school gives a kid an academic scholarship with a HS rank of 55%, SAT 900, HS q.p.a. of 2.7. That "ain't" gonna fly when the rest of the NCAA schools get wind of it. But it certainly could and just may happen in varying degrees.
Multiply that scenario by 25-50.

UNC gives Moreheads on a highly competive basis. Those guys show up on the football and basketball rosters occasionally, but you better believe if they start appearing in numbers of more than 1 or 2, the NCAA is gonna investigate and come down hard.

Or take a normal I-AA school giving 63 athletic scholarships and another 20-25 academic scholarships. That would be equivalent to a I-A playing I-AA ball.

Georgia with its lottery scholarships. Require a 3.0 HS and maintaining the 3.0 in college. You think IF that criteria were lowered to a 2.5 or less, the NCAA wouldn't step in regarding the "scholarship" limits?
If I'm not badly mistaken, each NCAA member school has to report all financial aid received thru the college.

colgate13
November 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM
UNC gives Moreheads on a highly competive basis. Those guys show up on the football and basketball rosters occasionally, but you better believe if they start appearing in numbers of more than 1 or 2, the NCAA is gonna investigate and come down hard.

Or take a normal I-AA school giving 63 athletic scholarships and another 20-25 academic scholarships. That would be equivalent to a I-A playing I-AA ball.

I understand that one completely. I guess I didn't think it applied to a situation like Davidson. I guess in an extreme case they could give out 80 'academic' scholarships to players and flout the 63 I-AA limit, I just know it isn't happening for real!

Mr. C
November 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
You're a little off there Mr. C.

First, a ton of Davidson students are paying full freight. The most recent data they're sharing says that 35% of their students qualify for need-based aid and 13% of their students are getting merit awards (11% are getting athletic scholarships, just not in football.

Even if those groups were mutually exclusive, which they are not, that means 41% of the people are paying over $41,000 for Davidson. My educated guess is that those groups overlap some, so the 35% getting need based aid also include some of the 13% getting merit. I would put the figure of Davidson students paying their own way closer to 50% or above. Typical for liberal arts colleges of their caliber. They don't have to 'buy' students with their USN&WR ranking.

I'd also be surprised if the football team was taking a bunch of the academic merit awards. The faculty would be up in arms. Their might be 3-4 every year. Then again, given their record...
It is amazing how you folks in the Patriot League still perpetuate some of these myths on financial aid. Financial aid is financial aid, no matter what you call it. What I said was that most students at Davidson are on scholarship. I don't know where you are getting your figures. If I am an athlete, I'm not going to go to a school and pile up tons of debt when I can go somewhere else and get some kind of financial aid that pays for college. How many blue bloods do you think are on these PL and PFL rosters? Call it an athletic scholarship, call it need-based aid, whatever. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the PL, PFL and others have plenty of tricks for doing it.

colgate13
November 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
It is amazing how you folks in the Patriot League still perpetuate some of these myths on financial aid. Financial aid is financial aid, no matter what you call it. What I said was that most students at Davidson are on scholarship. I don't know where you are getting your figures. If I am an athlete, I'm not going to go to a school and pile up tons of debt when I can go somewhere else and get some kind of financial aid that pays for college. How many blue bloods do you think are on these PL and PFL rosters? Call it an athletic scholarship, call it need-based aid, whatever. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the PL, PFL and others have plenty of tricks for doing it.

Whoa there Mr. C. No need to get defensive. I'm going off your statement.

First, I'm getting my numbers from 'the bible' USN&WR. They're not lying.

Then, you said 'most students at Davidson'. You didn't say 'student-athletes'. The fact is most students at Davidson are paying their own way. Football players were not part of the discussion. This was about a student body.

But to answer your blue-blood question, my educated guess is about a third. And plenty of kids choose schools at this level for more than just cost. Heck, that's part of the sell that PL schools have to do when fighting against scholarships.