PDA

View Full Version : Travel to boone. Need some help!!!!!!!

WOCO
October 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Got a question. How tough is it to get off of the montain after a game heading to charlotte. Is it like clemson where it takes 15 minutes to get to the interstate on a normal day and 4 hours on game day. I'd love to go but I'd hate to be trying to drive down the mountain at 3 in the morning!

ericsaid
October 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
You can get out fairly fast, 20 minutes and five or so stop lights later your out of Boone and on your way down 321.

terrierbob
October 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
How long is the drive from Sparkle City to "the mountain"?

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
It won't take any longer than half an hour. Its not bad at all.

Better bring your winter gear!

biggie
October 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
This past week, was the worst traffic ever in Boone. Mostly due to the close game and most people staying until the end. Hopefully improved this coming week.

And a big difference is knowing back roads to avoid the most traffic when leaving.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
This past week, was the worst traffic ever in Boone. Mostly due to the close game and most people staying until the end. Hopefully improved this coming week.

And a big difference is knowing back roads to avoid the most traffic when leaving.

big leaf weekend played a major role in traffic on saturday

biggie
October 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
big leaf weekend played a major role in traffic on saturday
True a whole lot of FL plates, definately time for them to go back down to their country.

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM

2.5 to 3hrs depending on if you take 85 or 26 up. 26 is a far prettier drive cause the leaves are awesome through Henderson, AVL, Marion right now.

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
True a whole lot of FL plates, definately time for them to go back down to their country.

If they only would! Fact is they never leave because of mountain summers, skiing, leaves. You name it they love it!

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
2.5 to 3hrs depending on if you take 85 or 26 up. 26 is a far prettier drive cause the leaves are awesome through Henderson, AVL, Marion right now.

no no no... wrong way!!!... the fastest and best way is 221 from spartanburg all the way to linville and then 105 into town... I lived in ATL as a student and trust me I found the best way and that was it... a beautiful drive up the mountain and there is never any traffic!!!

Rekdiver
October 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
It will take way too long....I wouldn't come! And it will be cold....
Game will be over around 11:30. Home by 2:30.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM

what???

I am coming from Durham... 3 hour drive... I dont plan on getting home till near 3am!!! never too late for an app football game!!!

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
no no no... wrong way!!!... the fastest and best way is 221 from spartanburg all the way to linville and then 105 into town... I lived in ATL as a student and trust me I found the best way and that was it... a beautiful drive up the mountain and there is never any traffic!!!

Yes, if you want to drive 55mph the entire way and you don't mind giving up gas mileage. Just don't go through Rutherford Co right after school lets out. Many buses use 221.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, if you want to drive 55mph the entire way and you don't mind giving up gas mileage. Just don't go through Rutherford Co right after school lets out. Many buses use 221.

sure but i am telling you that you will use less gas... it is by far the shortest distance and cars get their best gas mileage at 55 to 60 miles per hour... also you dont have to go through the hickory lenoir mess or the mess in gastonia... 221 has you slow down in rutherford and one stoplight in marion thats it!... i have found it to be both the fastest and most direct route... i know most people like to go 321 but if you want direct and a more picturesque route and less traffic... go 221

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I am luckily staying at the cabin this weekend, so I will only have to drive about 15 mins from the stadium. Going to be one heck of a game. Could be one for the ages and I don't want to miss it. Thought I was going to dress up, but I don't think we will be now. Don't want to be uncomfortable when cheering on the Apps!

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
sure but i am telling you that you will use less gas... it is by far the shortest distance and cars get their best gas mileage at 55 to 60 miles per hour... also you dont have to go through the hickory lenoir mess or the mess in gastonia... 221 has you slow down in rutherford and one stoplight in marion thats it!... i have found it to be both the fastest and most direct route... i know most people like to go 321 but if you want direct and a more picturesque route and less traffic... go 221

Sure.

ericsaid
October 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
321 isn't bad if you know how to navigate your way through traffic.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Lots of ways to get to Boone from Spartanburg. You may want to try 85 to 26 to 40 to 221 in Marion to 105 into Boone.

neersnbeers
October 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Lots of ways to get to Boone from Spartanburg. You may want to try 85 to 26 to 40 to 221 in Marion to 105 into Boone.

That's a beautiful drive. But that's my opinion and I'm being a homer cause I live in Hendersonville and thats the route I take.

Rekdiver
October 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Appfan, I was talking to a Terrier....not the faithful.

MountainMan
October 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I had good friends in Greenville and they always took 221 to 105. I went to Atlanta that way one time and made great time. It is always risky to take 221 up the mountain due to trucks going slow, but usually it is a fast trip.

Appaholic
October 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I am luckily staying at the cabin this weekend, so I will only have to drive about 15 mins from the stadium. Going to be one heck of a game. Could be one for the ages and I don't want to miss it. Thought I was going to dress up, but I don't think we will be now. Don't want to be uncomfortable when cheering on the Apps!

You can borrow my nun outfit...can't make it this weekend.....got two tickets for sale....

ASUG8
October 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM

We did Greenvegas to Boone in 3 hours taking it easy for Furman. We took 85 to 321 in Gastonia and up from there. Very easy drive. I grew up West of Asheville, and the 221 route is two lane the whole way - not bad on the way in, but not a lot of fun at 2AM.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
You can borrow my nun outfit...can't make it this weekend.....got two tickets for sale....

xlolx that would look great, could you imagine? This WASP's fat xazzx parading around in a habit (isn't that what they're called?). Sucks you can't make it up man. I'll keep that beer for shotgunning on ice, perhaps for the West Carolina game if you can make it to Cullowhee.

SCPALADIN
October 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM

I'll second that. Easily the best way to go. It never shows up on any websites like mapquest though, so many don't use the route.

SideLine Shooter
October 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM

I believe I would go thru Knoxville.xnodx