PDA

View Full Version : JMU-UD

mcveyrl
October 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Alright, I know we have a lot of Blue Hen fans that travel well.

Who all is making the trip to Harrisonburg this weekend? We should have a pretty good tailgate going as it's homecoming, but you guys are welcome to stop by.

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
WE STINK...&...IT'S ON CN-8...WHA EVEN LEAVE DUH COOP...xconfusedx...AWK!

bandl
October 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I predict that GannonFan will predict JMU to lose, and it won't even be close. :)

j/k GF ;)

mcveyrl
October 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Would definitely like the opportunity to meet some UD posters.

You wouldn't like the menu, anyway...Chicken Taco Soup...BRAWK!!!

Rob Iola
October 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I sense a coming migration to smack in 5...4...3...2...1...

mcveyrl
October 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I sense a coming migration to smack in 5...4...3...2...1...

Oops. Mine wasn't meant as smack, only meant that Mr. Chicken wouldn't appreciate my meat. :o

appstate38
Trap game!!! JMU needs to put this one away early.

bandl
Oops. Mine wasn't meant as smack, only meant that Mr. Chicken wouldn't appreciate my meat. :o

No offense, but I would venture to guess that most 'men' here wouldn't appreciate your meat... xcoffeex

89Hen
October 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Eloquently put. I do like going to games in H'burg, but in a season as bad as this, I stick to home games... misery loves company and watching JMU dismantle the Hens won't be fun with the purple streamer crowd. xpeacex

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Can't make it down for the game - with an infant only two months old, it's not been a year for away games for me anyway (even missed Furman and a chance to meet OL FU). UD's offense is obviously the big difference in this game. UD will probably limit JMU point-wise while giving up the yards, but without the ability to score UD will just hang around with little chance of winning. Maybe 28-10 JMU, although how we score 10 will be the interesting part.

LacesOut
October 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM

LMAO. LMAO. LMAO.

South Carolina Duke
October 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Who all is making the trip to Harrisonburg this weekend? We should have a pretty good tailgate going as it's homecoming, but you guys are welcome to stop by.

Bridgeforth is SOLD OUT as it has been all season! That goes for the W&M game as well.

So unless you already have tickets, good luck. I have mine.

93henfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
If any JMU fans can't get tickets, folks can't give them away fast enough on the GoHens.net ticket forum. They can be found for half price and lower. They are in what would have been the UD section. People just don't want to spend any more money or time travelling to support a 3-5 team that doesn't have a quarterback or a coach with a plan to solve his reliance on FBS QB transfers.

mcveyrl
October 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Bridgeforth is SOLD OUT as it has been all season! That goes for the W&M game as well.

If you buy season tickets, you don't have to worry about that...:D

I've actually got a couple of extra in my pack that got swiped up quickly!

Uncle Buck
October 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
This will be a tall test for UD, especially if they have Agnone and Love sharing time at QB again. Though i will admit, Love made some great plays on Saturday against HU, especially when he escaped the blits on one play and found an open reciever.

Not sure if that'll work against JMU, but i'll pull it in on CN8

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hey aren't Agnone and Love a tightend and WR? What are they doing at QB?
I know that Schoencroft(sp?) guy struggled so was he was pulled or injured? What about his back up that Rittaco(sp?) guy? Or the 3rd stringer (at the beginning of the season. Is he a freshman that UD doesn't want to waste a redshirt on? I always thought UD had one transfer QB with the backups being recruited (out of HS).

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I know that Schoencroft(sp?) guy struggled so was he was pulled or injured? What about his back up that Rittaco(sp?) guy? Or the 3rd stringer (at the beginning of the season. Is he a freshman that UD doesn't want to waste a redshirt on? I always thought UD had one transfer QB with the backups being recruited (out of HS).

Agnone and Love are the starting TE and WR. Both alternately played QB in the UD/Hofstra game. Both performed far better than Schoenhoft, the disaster of a QB transfer who started the first 7 games of this year (about 4-5 too many actually). Schoenhoft was woefully ineffective and suffered a 2nd concussion in the W&M game, although he's listed as probable on the UD/JMU gamenotes for this week. Not to knock an injured guy, but hopefully, from a UD fan's perspective, he never takes another snap for the Hens, he was truly that bad. Ritacco is a redshirt freshman (HS recruit) who would've started in his place had he not gotten injured in his eye a couple of weeks ago. He had eye surgery and is apparently cleared medically to play. Hakes, the 3rd string QB, is a JUCO transfer who didn't get to campus until August, and as such doesn't have enough grasp of the offense yet, according to the coaches (of course, considering that they pretty much dialed down the complexity of the offense to minimize the damage Schoenhoft was doing, it makes you wonder how someone can't handle a simplified scheme.).

As to who plays QB against JMU, we probably won't know until kickoff, and I'm sure it could change.

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
JMU gave up 277 to Nova, 229 on the ground. The biggest reason was:
1. Nova has a very good o-line and a good rushing attack and deserve credit for playing a great game
2. The loss of the listed 6'1" 230 lb 5th yr senior 2nd yr starting captain DJ Brandon for the season during the 2nd quarter of the UR game with a torn ACL. JMU is young, inexperienced, and slightly undersized at LB. Nova got no big plays on JMU- the longest was for 15 yards. But they beat JMU to death with 5-10 yard gains. The normally stout JMU d line looked avg against a very good Nova o-line (was one of the top 3 if not the best o-lines JMU has played this season along with Duke and UR). The JMU freshman linebackers at times looked lost and confused. I bet it will be a long week of practice and film session with the LBs. MM said last week that #6 r-FR Vidal Nelson, listed at 5'11", 205, was about 210-215 during spring ball when he was practicing with the 1st team d, but dropped down to about 195 after he went back to safety in summer camp.That kid needs to locked to the training table to get the weight back on! The LB who came in for DJ in the UR game till he got injured, listed 6'1", 205 #45 Colin Fitz-Maurice dressed but DNP vs Nova due to still not 100% from the neck injury he suffered against UR. Hopefully he'll be able to play, as listed 6'3" 215 *true freshman #47 Jamie Veney (spent a yr post graduate at Fork Union Military Academy, so he's more like a 2nd yr player) and Nelson went the whole game against Nova and obviuosly were looking gassed during the 3rd through 1st half of the 4th QTR when Nova kept converting 3rd downs and had those 2 LONG drives. The de line goes 2 deep and rotates. The LBs don't have that luxury. Hopefully Vidal will show a big improvement in his 2nd week starting, as before the UR game he had seen very little action at LB.

Eight Legger
October 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I am hoping the Hens win this game, because they won't go through a whole year without beating someone good, and we still have to play them.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I am hoping the Hens win this game, because they won't go through a whole year without beating someone good, and we still have to play them.

Wanna bet?!?!

:p

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
UD is only 8th in the CAA in rushing offense, but they are 10th in passing offense. I know they have good receivers. Not sure about their o-line. But with their troubles at QB, JMU needs to stack the line, 8 men in the box, which should make up for being young, inexperienced & a little undersized at LB, leave their corners one on one with UD receivers, and make UD beat JMU through the air.
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confstat.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

I know last season when UD faced Rogers from UR, didn't they try kicking away from him the whole game, giving UR great field position most of the game in that multiple OT win? If UD does that with McGee, thats basically conceding the kickoff at JMU's 40-45, and giving JMU 10-15 extra yards on the net punt. Of they can kick to McGee and likely see some big returns, with McGee maybe busting one. McGee leads the league in punt return avg (12.9). He isn't listed in the CAA ko return leaders, not sure why, as his 34.8 avg leads the league, (the next closest in 23.8), and is #2 nationally
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indkickret.htm

If JMU's defense can force a lot of UD 3 and outs, and start getting some drives against a good UD defense (in the CAA 4th in rush defense, 6th in pass defense, 4th in Total Defense), the UD defense should get worn down in the 2nd half, and JMU should be able to pull away.

For those who still think Landers can't pass, he only has 8 TDs passing TDs in the last 4 games vs 0 INTs. (11/3 on the season, 63%). He can throw well enough when he needs to. He doesn't have enough passes to be ranked among the national leaders in pass efficiency, but if he did, his 172.5 would rank 5th.
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamstat.htm?ATCLID=791903&SPSID=71033&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&group=81&year=2008
He's the leading rusher in the CAA, and 11th nationally:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=rush&group=81&year=2008&sort=rushyds

JMU is actually plus 7 in TO margin, and has 4 non offensive TDs (3 were McGee returns) and haven't given up one. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen against UD, as its bound to happen sooner or later, and UD does have the best defense JMU will face in the last 3 games.

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
LANDERS SUCCEEDS....AT CHUCKIN' TD TOSSES.......'CAUSE HE LULLS YA TA SLEEP...WHIFF OPTION/QB DRAWS.....DEN HITS DUH SLANT....WHO IS ALWAYS OPEN...LIKE IN DUH 'NOVA/APP STATE GAMES...xnodx......DON'T THINK....IFIN' HE STAYS IN DUH POCKET.........DAT HE'S UH TRUE PASSERAH...xsmhx...AWK!

blur2005
October 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
LANDERS SUCCEEDS....AT CHUCKIN' TD TOSSES.......'CAUSE HE LULLS YA TA SLEEP...WHIFF OPTION/QB DRAWS.....DEN HITS DUH SLANT....WHO IS ALWAYS OPEN...LIKE IN DUH 'NOVA/APP STATE GAMES...xnodx......DON'T THINK....IFIN' HE STAYS IN DUH POCKET.........DAT HE'S UH TRUE PASSERAH...xsmhx...AWK!
Fair enough. If teams want to worry about his running so much and let him hit that slant all day, all the better.:)

DTSpider
October 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Agnone and Love are the starting TE and WR. Both alternately played QB in the UD/Hofstra game. Both performed far better than Schoenhoft, the disaster of a QB transfer who started the first 7 games of this year (about 4-5 too many actually). Schoenhoft was woefully ineffective and suffered a 2nd concussion in the W&M game, although he's listed as probable on the UD/JMU gamenotes for this week. Not to knock an injured guy, but hopefully, from a UD fan's perspective, he never takes another snap for the Hens, he was truly that bad. Ritacco is a redshirt freshman (HS recruit) who would've started in his place had he not gotten injured in his eye a couple of weeks ago. He had eye surgery and is apparently cleared medically to play. Hakes, the 3rd string QB, is a JUCO transfer who didn't get to campus until August, and as such doesn't have enough grasp of the offense yet, according to the coaches (of course, considering that they pretty much dialed down the complexity of the offense to minimize the damage Schoenhoft was doing, it makes you wonder how someone can't handle a simplified scheme.).

As to who plays QB against JMU, we probably won't know until kickoff, and I'm sure it could change.

So basically, Schoenhoft should have left his ego aside and moved to tight end.

93henfan
October 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
So basically, Schoenhoft should have left his ego aside and moved to tight end.

Has nothing to do with Schoenhoft's wishes. The coaching staff failed to get him out of the QB spot fast enough. We already have good TEs, so Scho is free to ride the pine, transfer to West Chester, whatever. Just don't put him on the field for our team ever again.

alexale23
October 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM

eight legger we are all waiting on your world famous JMU predictions.

I think you are 1-7 so far

DTSpider
October 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Has nothing to do with Schoenhoft's wishes. The coaching staff failed to get him out of the QB spot fast enough. We already have good TEs, so Scho is free to ride the pine, transfer to West Chester, whatever. Just don't put him on the field for our team ever again.

I was referring to him leaving OSU when they asked him to move to TE, at least that was the story I remember reading last spring. A long fast drop.

alexale23
October 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
So who is the QB of Delaware?

StrikeJMU
October 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
So who is the QB of Delaware?

http://i.factmonster.com/images/quarter_delaware_rev.jpg

apparently its Caesar Rodney...who knew.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I agree it looks like a trap game

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
JMU will want a little payback for what happened last yr in Newark. The D (at least against the run) will be riddin in practice due to their performance against Nova. I expect them to show improved play, esp the young LBs, against UD.

Remember at home JMU has scored:

NCCU - 56
UMASS - 52
ASU - 35
Hofstra - 56

On the road it has been:
Maine 24 (raining heavy at times)
UR 38
Nova 23 (raining most of game and driving wind)

I think JMU will score in the upper 20s to 30s against UD. Yeah, UD could hold JMU in the 20s, but does anyone realistically think UD will score in the 20s vs JMU? I don't see this as a trap game at all.

I'm am concerned about W&M. That game could see 70-80+ points scored.

Dukie95
October 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I'll ask it anyway.

So, what if Schoenhoft hadn't transferred? What was their succession plan for Flacco? Why is it Schoenhoft or nothing?

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I'll ask it anyway.

So, what if Schoenhoft hadn't transferred? What was their succession plan for Flacco? Why is it Schoenhoft or nothing?
Would have been Ritacco starting with Hakes as the backup. xpeacex

ChickenMan
October 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM

After big emotional wins over Richmond and Nova.. JMU is due for a letdown.. but since it's UD.. I doubt that the Dukes will be very flat. Even if JMU isn't ready to play.. unless they turn it over a LOT.. UD's offense won't be able to produce enough points to win.

JMU2004
October 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
After big emotional wins over Richmond and Nova.. JMU is due for a letdown.. but since it's UD.. I doubt that the Dukes will be very flat. Even if JMU isn't ready to play.. unless they turn it over a LOT.. UD's offense won't be able to produce enough points to win.

Just for the record, people have been predicting a letdown for JMU since the App St game. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Just for the record, people have been predicting a letdown for JMU since the App St game. xthumbsupx

And it almost happened against Maine...:o :o

I hope that we can get up for Delaware. They're down, but it's still Delaware.

Dukie95
October 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
IF a letdown is going to happen, it's going to happen this week. We won't be looking past W&M and as far Towson goes, well... It would take more than a letdown to lose to Towson, I'm afraid.

All that said, there will be no letdown.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
It's in Harrisonburg and the team is Delaware (NOT Richmond). A let down is not possible.

ChickenMan
October 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
If an upset is going to occur this week in the CAA.. it will be up in Boston.. not in Harrisonburg. All CAA fans know how tough it is to win at Northeastern's Parson Field and Villaova is coming off a gut wrenching home loss.. to JMU. Northeastern isn't a bad team and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them upset Nova this week.

South Carolina Duke
October 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Both Maine and Villanova were away games under horrible weather conditions. Saturday in the "burg" it will be sunny and 60!

GannonFan
October 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
IF a letdown is going to happen, it's going to happen this week. We won't be looking past W&M and as far Towson goes, well... It would take more than a letdown to lose to Towson, I'm afraid.

All that said, there will be no letdown.

You guys can't have a letdown against Towson - that's rivalry week in the CAA! :p

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM
UD is only 8th in the CAA in rushing offense, but they are 10th in passing offense. I know they have good receivers. Not sure about their o-line. But with their troubles at QB, JMU needs to stack the line, 8 men in the box, which should make up for being young, inexperienced & a little undersized at LB, leave their corners one on one with UD receivers, and make UD beat JMU through the air.
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confstat.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

I respectfully disagree about stacking the box. While strategically, you're 100% right, I want these kids to learn how to tackle, how to fill gaps and how to play like a run stuffing LB should play in college. While they may need help from the secondary, this game and the game against Towson should provide plenty of opportunities for these kids to get some chemistry going at the position so that they can play in the 4-2-5 scheme at LB at a more acceptable level come playoff time. xpeacex

tribefootballfan
October 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Got 4 tickets and a parking pass from JMU ticket office yesterday.

madisonfan87
October 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This is a home team win series. Look it up, for at least the past 4 seasons, the home team has gone on to win and it doesn't look like that will change this year. Seriously, how can anyone call this a trap game?
JMU is ranked #1 for a reason as well as UD not even being ranked. For one thing, I find it sad that Keeler couldn't even put in a QB to play QB last week. Does he have no confidence in his second or third strings?
Love is a darn good receiver and is a waste of talent to put him in as QB.

GannonFan
October 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is a home team win series. Look it up, for at least the past 4 seasons, the home team has gone on to win and it doesn't look like that will change this year. Seriously, how can anyone call this a trap game?
JMU is ranked #1 for a reason as well as UD not even being ranked. For one thing, I find it sad that Keeler couldn't even put in a QB to play QB last week. Does he have no confidence in his second or third strings?
Love is a darn good receiver and is a waste of talent to put him in as QB.

Second string guy was out with an injury and the 3rd string guy, no, he doesn't have confidence in. As for Love being wasted as a QB, well, he's pretty wasted as a WR if there is no QB to throw him the ball. xcoffeex

madisonfan87
October 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
From what I've seen him do as long as its near him he'll try pretty darn well to get the ball, but I do get what you say.

GannonFan
October 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
From what I've seen him do as long as its near him he'll try pretty darn well to get the ball, but I do get what you say.

Yeah, getting the ball near anybody has been a pretty big problem for the Hens QB this year. xrotatehx

UDBlueLotFan
October 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM

Just got back home from Frankfurt!!xthumbsupx I was suppose to be out until the 1st, but am back and getting the menu ready for the roadtrip. Damn skimpy, I'll be there...xnodx

UDBlueLotFan
October 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Have 'em. UD season ticket holder and have all away games also. I make everyone if I'm home.xwhistlex

DB_Atlantic10
October 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I respectfully disagree about stacking the box. While strategically, you're 100% right, I want these kids to learn how to tackle, how to fill gaps and how to play like a run stuffing LB should play in college. While they may need help from the secondary, this game and the game against Towson should provide plenty of opportunities for these kids to get some chemistry going at the position so that they can play in the 4-2-5 scheme at LB at a more acceptable level come playoff time. xpeacex By definition, JMU's defense is called an 8-Man front....what's what's this stuffing the box stuff......xnonono2x

Oldhen
October 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM

That's the UD football program 'jumping the shark'.

Our HC is completely out of bullets. Maybe out of his mind, if you look back on his rationalizations for how relentlessly awful Schoenhoft has been. If he believes half the stuff he said, he needs to have his medication increased. If he expects us to believe it, he needs another line of work.... he's just completely lost any credibility.

On paper, this game is a JMU rout. Our D has played pretty well, but they have better much games in them. They come up with one (you never know) they could hold JMU significantly under their offensive production. They have that potential.

The problem for UD is offensive production. I think Jabbie is capable of big games against anybody. The problem is how we keep JMU (or anybody) from overplaying the run and taking him out of the game. Our coaching staff figures out a way to do that (slim chance) we could play enough D to keep it interesting.

I have no expectation of that. I expect Schoenhoft to start, JMU to take away the run to make him beat them, and for him to turn the ball over repeatedly. This happens, you guys could set a CAA record for points off tunrovers.

Hoyadestroya85
October 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I have a weird feeling about this game.. it may be close

LacesOut
October 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Didn't JMU lose this matchup last year because of their 4 or 5 fumbles that kept giving UD a short field?? I could be confusing games though.

I do remember how JMU just kept running the ball and running the ball and running the ball. I mean they just seemed to never throw it! And their receivers looked huge out on the field. I kept thinking why the hell do they not throw the ball more, they seemed to have size mismatches on the DB's. And then they just ran and ran and ran.

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I expect that JMU will be able to control UD's running game.. as it is very difficult to establish an effective running game when your offense has no ability to stretch the field. That inability allows the defense to play very aggressively at the line of scrimmage as there is virually no big play threat existing in the Hen's offense. UD's passing game has been pretty much limited to 5 and 10 yrd throws.. as the coaches have been attempting to protect a flawed QB the entire season. I understand that philosophy as INTs have regulary occurred on the few occasions when KC has attempted to open up the offense with some downfield throws.. but you aren't going to beat a team like JMU with a pop gun passing game. If UD is to have any chance in this game.. KC will have to open it up and hope for the best.. it will be a long shot as turnovers are likely to result.. but if UD stays with it's very conservative (protect the QB) offense.. the Hens will have no shot at all.

alexale23
October 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
You right the hens have no shot. If JMU loses this game I will ban myself from AGS

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM
You right the hens have no shot. If JMU loses this game I will ban myself from AGS

Jeeze...talk about conflicted...

YoUDeeMan
October 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM

xrolleyesx

Empty threat without, "permanently" tacked on. :p

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Here's a DNR Article on the UD QB situation...

Interesting that JMU offered Agnone a scholarship (presumably at Quarterback)...

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32817&CHID=3&sub=

alexale23
October 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
xrolleyesx

Empty threat without, "permanently" tacked on. :p

Any1 Hens out there wanna take an avatar bet on this game?????

I will ban myself for 1 month

UDBlueLotFan
October 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I imagine we are going to park against the creek, triangle-parking lot("higher" lot) that leads to the stadium. The last time a JMU "Nascar-type" winabago parked there also; sweet set upxthumbsupx Anyway, any JMU/UD AGS'ers want to meet up, pm me and i'll put out my cell. We have extra propane, etc, tailgating "musts" also incase someone runs or forgets something.

UDBlueLotFan
October 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I imagine we are going to park against the creek, triangle-parking lot("higher" lot) that leads to the stadium. The last time a JMU "Nascar-type" winabago parked there also; sweet set upxthumbsupx Anyway, any JMU/UD AGS'ers want to meet up, pm me and i'll put out my cell. We have extra propane, etc, tailgating "musts" also incase someone runs or forgets something.

...., oh yeah, we'll be there no less than 4hrs prior to k/o.

alexale23
October 30th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I would go this weekend but im saving those trips for the playoffs. Im going to stay at home and hope CN8 does not have technical difficulties.

What are the chances that CN8 broadcast is not interrupted?

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Mickey Moaning About His ‘D' Posted 2008-10-28
One Key Injury Weakens Dukes
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32744&CHID=3

Sounds like it might have been a rough week of practice for the defense.

jmufan999
October 30th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mickey Moaning About His ‘D' Posted 2008-10-28
One Key Injury Weakens Dukes
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32744&CHID=3

Sounds like it might have been a rough week of practice for the defense.

i LOVE that though. that is awesome. i also like WVU, and watching Bill Stewart... yikes. he's too nice! you can't let poor play go unnoticed. and he's right, the tackling was ATROCIOUS against Nova.

way to show 'em who's boss, mickey. they need discipline, that's one of the reasons i really respect him as a coach.

jmufan999
October 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
that said, UD has no shot in this game.

i'm the first guy to give credit to other teams... i said UMass, ASU, Maine, UR, and Nova ALL could beat us before each of those games (i had no idea what to expect for Duke).

i said NCCU has no chance.
i said Hofstra has no chance (people told me it'd be close).

i am now saying this to you.... JMU will win this game.

one thing i've read several times, that UD will hold JMU's offense. it's very possible. but what some people are forgetting is that even if we go up 14-0, you start having to abandon your run game. so now, you're putting the ball in the hands of a very inexperienced QB (converted TE, did i read that right?)... and the DE's KNOW you're going to pass, so they don't bite on play fakes. picks lead to terrible field position... which leads to Rodney Landers touchdowns. oh and also, JMU has won 29 of its last 33 home games. of those 4 losses, the last home loss by 4 or more points was in 2003.

Delaware is a fine FCS program, excellent football school. But it just won't be their day on Saturday.

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
JMU injury situation:

Defense:
-Starting WS Gerrin Griffin. Has been out since after the ASU game. Rare chicken pox infection in his eye. From what I've read or heard MM say, at one point it was feared Gerrin could lose his eyesight. Missed Maine & Hofstra. Then MM said he could be ready for UR. Missed UR, then Nova, now UD. A couple weeks ago MM said could be ready for Nova, or might miss the rest of the season, was up in the air. MM was talking about how Griffin had been to numerous specialists. One thing MM won't do is take a risk with the long term health of a player. Griffin is a r-JR. Would playing in 4 games make someone ineligible for a medical redshirt? I was thinking it would. This injury hasn't hurt JMU much, as JMU was 4 deep at corner, and Mcollough moved over to WS, and McGee moved into his corner spot.

-Starting LB DJ Brandon. 6'1" 230 senior, 2 yr starter, "QB" of defense. Torn ACL vs UR, out for season. This one has been talked about a lot, as it has left JMU young, inexperienced and undersized at LB.

-Backup safety Josh Baird went down with an injury 4th qtr UD game.

-Didn't another 2 deep on the D get injured in the 4th qtr vs UD?

Offense: Came into the game missing no starters.

-Kerby Long. He injured his hamstring pretty good against Nova the play before the Hail Mary. I didn't think he was going to play. He played the 1st half. Last JMU drive Lander's 3rd long pass of the game, to Long, looked perfect, except Long pulled up. Long was out of his pads for the 2nd half.

-Sullivan, r-fr, 5'9", 205, basically the 3rd RB in JMU's 3 tailback rotation and JMU's most powerful inside runner of the 3, went down in the 3rd? qtr. Not sure of the status with his injury. Anyone?

-Terrance Apted, JMU's 6'4", 335 lb r-Sr starting RT, went down the play after Long pulled up. He went to the locker room early, played the 3rd qtr, was clearly hobbling, and didn't play the last couple series in the 4th with the starting o-line. Knee was iced and he was on crutches at the end of the game.

-Did someone else get hurt on the 2 deep on offense?

Seemed like a lot of guys got banged up this game. Thank goodness for the bye week before the HUGE game with W&M @ JMU. Hopefully Long and Apted will be back. I doubt Griffin will be.

Longhorn
November 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
-Kerby Long. He injured his hamstring pretty good against Nova the play before the Hail Mary. I didn't think he was going to play. He played the 1st half. Last JMU drive Lander's 3rd long pass of the game, to Long, looked perfect, except Long pulled up. Long was out of his pads for the 2nd half.

-Terrance Apted, JMU's 6'4", 335 lb r-Sr starting RT, went down the play after Long pulled up. Knee was iced and he was on crutches at the end of the game.

A couple of corrections...Apted had his right ankle iced, not his knee. Long twisted/sprained an ankle against Nova. Not sure if a hamstring was tweaked in the UD game, guess we'll find out early next week.

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
A couple of corrections...Apted had his right ankle iced, not his knee. Long twisted/sprained an ankle against Nova. Not sure if a hamstring was tweaked in the UD game, guess we'll find out early next week.

Noted- I was at the Nova game, and thought Long had injured his ankle. I didn't see the injury mentioned in any of the DNR articles (could have missed it), don't remember what was said about it on the CAAZone, and didn't hear any of MM's shows this week where I'm sure it was asked about. I saw Long on the sideline of the UD game I think it was after he pulled up on the long pass incompletion near the end of the 2nd qtr rubbing his hamstring, and I heard someone say something about that, so thats why I was thinking hamstring. So hopefully its just his ankle.

I briefly glanced at Apted on crutches. I didn't see the ice, just heard someone else mention it, and I assumed it was the knee. You know what they say about assumptions......

So we need 2 ankles healed in the next 2 weeks....

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Observations:

JMU defense looked much improved over the Nova game.
-1st UD possession UD had 3 1st downs and 48 yards.
-The next 7 UD possessions, 0 1st downs, 21 yards. Thats only 69 yards through the 1st 3 quarters.
-The last 2 UD possessions in the 4th qtr were for 62 and 48 yards, but that was against a lot of JMU's 2nd string. Yeah on that last UD drive they should have scored but instead they fumbled at the JMU 1 yard line. On the other hand on that last drive at one point I counted only 2 JMU defensive starters, Veney and McGee, and at least 9 UD starters according to the depth chart I had printed out from the game notes.
-Just a note, stats say 169 UD total yards, but drive chart counts up to 179.
-JMU LB play looked much better than vs Nova. It helps than Vidal Nelson had a full starting game under his belt. I noted how JMU's true freshman starting LB Jamie Veney (he played on Fork Union Military Academy's PG team so he's more like a 2nd yr player) missed a tackle in the backfield (he must lead the CAA in missed tackles in the backfield. If learns how to tackle/wrap up better he could be a future AA). Then I noticed that Veney wasn't in for 2-3 straight series in the 3rd quarter- Could be a coincidence, but I know MM wasn't happy about all the missed tackles in the backfield vs Nova.
-With all due respect to UD, I know you have to note the improved looking JMU defense was against a bad UD offense.

-Landers was 6-12 for only 62 yards. Tried 3 long passes in the 2nd quarter. One he slightly underthrew WR Rockheed MCarter. Another he slightly overthrew WR Marcus Turner. And the 3rd to Kerby Long near the end of the 2nd qtr looked Perfect to an open Kderby Long, but Long pulled up on what looked like his bad ankle that he injured in the Nova game (I was surprised he even played). If Long hadn't pulled up I think that would have been for 6..2nd half Long was out of his pads.

Rodney running was his usual spectacular self, 23 carries for 185 yards, 2 TDs.

JMU rushed for 403 on a decent UD defense last season. Big part of that was 3 long runs in the 3rd qtr. This UD defense, despite facing a # of injuries, is pretty good, and from what I've read, better than last season's. I knew JMU wouldn't rush for what they did last season. I was a little surprised JMU rushed for 309. Some of that had to do with the UD defense having to be very tired being put back on the field due to the constant 3 and outs by the UD offense mid 1st qtr to end of 3rd qtr. JMU led the Time of Possession 38:58-21:02.

-McGee had 4 punt returns. One he should have definitely fair caught, as it was a very high one, and 2 UD players were right there was he caught it. The other 2 were also high ones that were contested with a UD player or players on top of McGee right after he caught it. One of those was a wide coverage guy that JMU true freshman corner Taveion Cuffe did a poor job of blocking. The one UD punt which was longer and not as high when McGee fielded it the nearest UD defense had to be around 15 yards away, and McGee took it to the house for his 4th return this season (3 punts, 1 kickoff) and 6th of his career. I am shocked that a team would still punt to McGee like that to give him a chance at a clean return.

-Would have been nice for JMU team and fans to post a shutout, but you have to give UD kick return team for opening a lane for #22 from UD to return that kickoff for a TD right after McGee's return. Was a nice return by 22, and not very good kick coverage by JMU.

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/delaware.htm

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
DelawareOnline.com:
Dukes run Hens through grinder
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081102/SPORTS07/811020389/1028
Blue Hens game notes
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081102/SPORTS07/811020364/1028

DNR:
Dukes Streak To 8th Straight
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32925&CHID=3&sub=

RTD:
Dominant defense does it for Dukes
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-11-02-0230.html

Philly Daily News:
http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/sports/33700924.html

Is an article from the Newark, DE paper, but you have to register to read it. Screw that.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
-McGee had 4 punt returns. One he should have definitely fair caught, as it was a very high one, and 2 UD players were right there was he caught it. The other 2 were also high ones that were contested with a UD player or players on top of McGee right after he caught it. One of those was a wide coverage guy that JMU true freshman corner Taveion Cuffe did a poor job of blocking. The one UD punt which was longer and not as high when McGee fielded it the nearest UD defense had to be around 15 yards away, and McGee took it to the house for his 4th return this season (3 punts, 1 kickoff) and 6th of his career. I am shocked that a team would still punt to McGee like that to give him a chance at a clean return.

Not to knock McGee, but on the 3 TD returns I've seen him do (ASU, Richmond, and UD), the real credit goes to the special teams blocking. It's not like McGee is making anyone miss on these returns, he just runs to the blocks and away he goes. Excellent job blocking is what's making those returns happen. With that said, if I had a good punter I would still punt to him. UD's punter's actually pretty good and most of the time the high hang time he was getting was enough to thwart the return. Most teams don't have a decent enough punter to effectively punt away from a returner anyway - nova lost the game to JMU basically doing that as the last two punts were only about 10-15 yards each and gave JMU great field position.

mcveyrl
November 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Not to knock McGee, but on the 3 TD returns I've seen him do (ASU, Richmond, and UD), the real credit goes to the special teams blocking. It's not like McGee is making anyone miss on these returns, he just runs to the blocks and away he goes. Excellent job blocking is what's making those returns happen. With that said, if I had a good punter I would still punt to him. UD's punter's actually pretty good and most of the time the high hang time he was getting was enough to thwart the return. Most teams don't have a decent enough punter to effectively punt away from a returner anyway - nova lost the game to JMU basically doing that as the last two punts were only about 10-15 yards each and gave JMU great field position.

I agree about punting to him and the Nova game. McGee has stated as much about the blocking he gets, but if you look at the UR return, he definitely makes the first guy miss. I also think the UD guys were the first down the field on his return last week. The punt return guy is always told that he'll have to make the first guy miss and then the blocking should come. Kick returns are more about finding the block and going.

One thing, I think, that makes him an effective returner is his patience and his ability to make cuts towards the blocks, which goes hand in hand with the excellent blocking. Using the Richmond return again, as he's going down the sideline he definitely waits for McCarter to level the two guys before going full speed down the sideline.

jmuroller
November 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM

You can't be serious? So what about the 2 Richmond players that were unblocked right when he caught the ball on the game winning return? Both of them ended up grabbing nothing but air.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Another thing is you have to have vision to find the seam in a slit second, the speed to immediately hit it, along with not having the fear to hit it full speed, knowing you might get rocked, with the vision to make any cuts that need to be made on the fly. McGee does all that very well. Add on the usual good scheme & blocking by the JMU ko and punt return teams, if the McGee has a chance at a clean return (can catch the punt or kickoff without an opposing player right on top of him, not pinned up against the sideline, not having to chase a bouncing ball), then he'll usually get a very good return, sometimes taking one to the house.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Tried 3 long passes in the 2nd quarter. One he slightly underthrew WR Rockheed MCarter. Another he slightly overthrew WR Marcus Turner. And the 3rd to Kerby Long near the end of the 2nd qtr looked Perfect to an open Kerby Long, but Long pulled up on what looked like his bad ankle that he injured in the Nova game (I was surprised he even played). If Long hadn't pulled up I think that would have been for 6..2nd half Long was out of his pads.

Just finished watching the rest of the game that I'd taped on CN8. Just for the sake of being correct,

Long got his feet tangled with the defender- thats likely why he pulled up.

There was 4 long pass (30+ yard attempts) incompletions thrown by Landers in the game, not 3 as I had stated. After 4 straight short completions in the 3rd qtr, there was a 4th long pass of the game that was incomplete. Landers faked the handoff, took the jab step like he was going to run it, then stepped back and threw a perfect pass to a slightly open Rockheed McCarter. This was the same play action for a TD that worked against UMass, ASU, UR, Nova. Hit McCarter right in the hands, and bounced off. I'd forgot about that one- probably was due to the alcoholic haze I was in. Likely wouldn't have scored for JMU, but would have been inside the 10 yard line. Was pretty much irrelevant, though, as a few plays later Landers had his 35 yard TD run.

89Hen
November 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Jiminy Friggin Crickets... why the hell did the Hens have to play JMU the week before a bye? This thread won't lay down and die like the Hens did in H'burg. Please let this thread die. :p

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Jiminy Friggin Crickets... why the hell did the Hens have to play JMU the week before a bye? This thread won't lay down and die like the Hens did in H'burg. Please let this thread die. :p

Yeah, I know, posting something 4 days after a game is normally too long after, but after finishing watching the game on TV I realized I was wrong on a couple things I had posted the next day. Plus, there's not as much else to write about this week- have to wait till next weekend to start writing about W&M.xsmiley_wix