PDA

View Full Version : newest SoCon power rankings and predictions for next week

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM
1. ASU- Still national champs, still undefeated in the SoCon this year. But for how long?
2. Wofford- Firmly in this position after dominating Elon, and could make an argument for top spot.
3. Elon- Still a threat to reach the playoffs. Still a very dangerous team.
4. Furman- Had a respectable performance at ASU.. has cemented itself in this position for now.
5. Samford- One of the biggest FCS surprises in the nation...a dangerous team for everyone
6. Georgia Southern- It's been a struggle on defense for the Eagles
7. The Citadel- This team is in a free fall.
8. Western Carolina- A much improved team, even if their record doesn't show it. Their hard work should be rewarded Saturday.
9. Chattanooga- They can only hope that word of Allison's departure will inspire the team.

NEXT WEEK:

Western Carolina 31, Chattanooga 21. The WCU streak comes to a merciful end!

Wofford 42, ASU 35. See Wofford-ASU predictions thread.

Furman 24, Samford 21. This pick was not made without some thought. It is a tenuous pick. Samford is capable of taking down the Paladins.

GSU 34, The Citadel 28. This is really anybody's game. But The Bulldogs have zero momentum right now, hence my pick. The Eagles come from behind to win a game yet again!

All in all, it looks like we have some very good games on tap this week in the SoCon. Good luck to your team, unless it is ASU!xsmiley_wix

appstate38
October 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
WCU-UTC 41-10
ASU-Woff 34-24
Samford-FU 24-20
GSU-Cit 40-17

ASU/Woff I don't think there is enough time for Woff to score 42 because that would mean we turned it over and AE hasn't thrown a pick in some time now.

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
WCU-UTC 41-10
ASU-Woff 34-24
Samford-FU 24-20
GSU-Cit 40-17

ASU/Woff I don't think there is enough time for Woff to score 42 because that would mean we turned it over and AE hasn't thrown a pick in some time now.

What? We've scored 38+ points in 13 of the last FCS 18 games (40+ points in 10 of the last 18) we can score 42.

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I don't think anyone will hold us to 24 points this year.

HighRyder08
October 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I do

matfu
October 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Wofford beats App by at least 14

Furman beats Samford by 10

Ga Southern easily beats Citadel

Western over Chatt

alexale23
October 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Wofford and app tie an earthquake happens and the whole kidd brewer falls into a hole in the earth

Samford upsets FU

Chitadel loses again

Western whips chatty

WCU LawCat
October 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM
-Wofford over App - only because Wofford is really really good at converting on turnovers.
-Samford over Furman - I think they can pull it off at home.
-GSU over Citadel - in overtime again. I think the GSU comback will propel them for the rest of the season.
-Western over UTC - really big as long as WCU comes out strong early. Win by less than 7 if WCU plays weak early.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Wofford@App St
Georgia Southern@The Citadel
Chattanooga@Western Carolina
Furman@Samford
Elon@Bye

OL FU
October 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Wofford@App St - WC is playing the best football in the Socon. The rock is the equalizer but WC pulls it out.
Georgia Southern@The Citadel - The Citadel has lost any mojo they might have had. GSU wins but it is close.
Chattanooga@Western Carolina - Will the Mocs get fired up and win one for the coach. WCU didn't do it last year I don't think the Mocs do it this year.
Furman@Samford - Nervously picking Furman. Game lost on turnovers (not an excuse they are part of the game and you can't win with them) last week. If the players take the positives from the game then they should not have a fall off. Can't lose another but they can't look ahead to GSU and Wofford.
Elon@Bye

ericsaid
October 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
-Wofford over App - only because Wofford is really really good at converting on turnovers.
-Samford over Furman - I think they can pull it off at home.
-GSU over Citadel - in overtime again. I think the GSU comback will propel them for the rest of the season.
-Western over UTC - really big as long as WCU comes out strong early. Win by less than 7 if WCU plays weak early.

Good thing App doesn't turn the ball over.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

App will be able to stop Wofford pretty much when they want. When App can focus on the run they stop it most of the time, the only way Wofford beat App is if they throw the ball 25+ times to get a pretty even keel of run and pass.

App 63 Wofford 21.xthumbsupx Wofford has five fumbles.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM

App will be able to stop Wofford pretty much when they want. When App can focus on the run they stop it most of the time, the only way Wofford beat App is if they throw the ball 25+ times to get a pretty even keel of run and pass.

xlolx

LarryBoy
October 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM

And yet, last week, Furman had arguably its best rushing performance of the season against App. It didn't look like App's line had any interest in touching our ball carriers.

I say Wofford runs all over the Appies.

james_lawfirm
October 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
And yet, last week, Furman had arguably its best rushing performance of the season against App. It didn't look like App's line had any interest in touching our ball carriers.

I say Wofford runs all over the Appies.

Larry:
Furman had a good running game. No question. So does Wofford. They made Elon look BBAADD!!

I think App's D lines up better against Wofford than Furman though. Wofford seemed to go around the corner alot against Elon. Furman went straight up the middle against App. App's DEs & LBs are quicker than Elon's. IF App plays well, and plays assignment D, then we'll be OK. Wofford's pitch on the triple option wing-thingie is a forward pass, by design, & it needs to get picked off by a quick DE once or twice.

To me, the BIG question is can we run the ball against Wofford? If so, then TOP will be more equal. If not, we may score quickly & our D will get tired.

I think you will see two GREAT offenses trying to run the ball right at each other all night long. This could be a slugfest.

appstate38
October 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
What? We've scored 38+ points in 13 of the last FCS 18 games (40+ points in 10 of the last 18) we can score 42.

Yeah you can score 42, Heck we can score 79 (see WCU) It doesn't mean you will. Out of those last 18 games, one of those games was against us and at Wofford. You didn't hang 42 on us then and I don't believe you will do it on Friday.

asucrutch23
October 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah you can score 42, Heck we can score 79 (see WCU) It doesn't mean you will. Out of those last 18 games, one of those games was against us and at Wofford. You didn't hang 42 on us then and I don't believe you will do it on Friday.

Actually, they did. 42-31 Wofford. :(

catamount man
October 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Samford over Furman (no offense to my Paladin buddies, Boone to Birmingham back to back with another App loss......hope you prove me wrong.)

WCU over UTC (or we lose to them and Elon and then FINALLY put it together on 11/22xwhistlex )

GSU over El Cid (Citadel can brag that they at least beat us)

ASU over Wofford (I just flipped a coin. FCS game of the year! Can't wait to grab a six pack and watch this one)

SoCon rules FCS!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks for reminding me. We were 13-0 in those 13 games (I should have put that sorry)

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Don't listen to most App fan predictions. Many of them were predicting to score in the high 40s against Furman (including Coulson). They broke into the 20s with about 5 min to go in the fourth quarter.

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Don't listen to most App fan predictions. Many of them were predicting to score in the high 40s against Furman (including Coulson). They broke into the 20s with about 5 min to go in the fourth quarter.

So should we also ignore the Furman fans that predicted a win last week? :D

AlphaSigMD
October 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Samford over Furman (no offense to my Paladin buddies, Boone to Birmingham back to back with another App loss......hope you prove me wrong.)

WCU over UTC (or we lose to them and Elon and then FINALLY put it together on 11/22xwhistlex )

GSU over El Cid (Citadel can brag that they at least beat us)

ASU over Wofford (I just flipped a coin. FCS game of the year! Can't wait to grab a six pack and watch this one)

SoCon rules FCS!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

Rep Points for being the ONLY non-ASU affiliate to pick ASU this week. Even if its only due to chance.

Once again, this entire board seems to be Wofford crazy right now. They had a great, lopsided win this weekend, and not to take away from that, but if they were capable of playing like that every week, then why haven't they been playing like that every week?

ASU gets everyones best shot, there's no denying that. I'm certain that Wofford will play well, but overall, when all is said and done, ASU at the rock on national TV will be just to much for the pups.

RazorEdge19
October 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Rep Points for being the ONLY non-ASU affiliate to pick ASU this week. Even if its only due to chance.

Once again, this entire board seems to be Wofford crazy right now. They had a great, lopsided win this weekend, and not to take away from that, but if they were capable of playing like that every week, then why haven't they been playing like that every week?

ASU gets everyones best shot, there's no denying that. I'm certain that Wofford will play well, but overall, when all is said and done, ASU at the rock on national TV will be just to much for the pups.

Um...they've scored 38 points or more in every FCS-level game. The only FCS game that wasn't a double-digit victory was at GSU...which ASU had the same margin of victory as well. Here's the last four games:

Wofford 38 - GSU 37 OT
Wofford 56 - UTC 7
Wofford 42 - WCU 14
Wofford 55 - Elon 20

Not sure about you, but those scores show me that Wofford is improving significantly throughout the week, not to say ASU hasn't. I'm simply answering your question.

millwoga1
October 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
ASU gets everyones best shot, there's no denying that.

I think LSU brought in thier 2nd string in the second quarter, is that thier best shot

SU 82
October 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Western Carolina 35, Chattanooga 16
App. 38, Wofford 31 OT
Samford 27, Furman 24
GSU 30, The Citadel 14

AlphaSigMD
October 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I think LSU brought in thier 2nd string in the second quarter, is that thier best shot

Their No. 1 receiver caught a 39 yard TD pass 5 minutes into the 4th from who is now their starting QB.

That really sounds like they were taking it easy on us.

Skjellyfetti
October 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Um...they've scored 38 points or more in every FCS-level game.

Appalachian has played a tougher FCS schedule so far.

Against our common opponents (GSU and Presby) we scored more points (in regulation).

AlphaSigMD
October 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Um...they've scored 38 points or more in every FCS-level game. The only FCS game that wasn't a double-digit victory was at GSU...which ASU had the same margin of victory as well. Here's the last four games:

Wofford 38 - GSU 37 OT
Wofford 56 - UTC 7
Wofford 42 - WCU 14
Wofford 55 - Elon 20

Not sure about you, but those scores show me that Wofford is improving significantly throughout the week, not to say ASU hasn't. I'm simply answering your question.

I'm not saying that Wofford is a bad team. I'm just saying that the Elon game has been their best of the year. They have not performed as well in any other game given the level of talent they have played against. The UTC and WCU games don't really say a lot because well, they are a combined 3-14 (with wins over Shorter, Cumberland and Presby) So who have they played, Elon and Georgia Southern. They played pretty darn similar to ASU in the Georgia Southern game. They played similar to ASU in the Presbyterian game. They played well against South Carolina, and ASU played well against LSU. (Wofford "did better" against South Carolina by allowing fewer points, but SC is also not a top 25 team, and they are averaging 10 points less a game than LSU)

So, all in all, ASU and Wofford appear to be playing quite similar. ASU has faced tougher opponents*, but also has one more loss.

How does this translate into a double digits win at the rock? It doesn't. Perhaps Wofford is improving, but the same can be said for ASU. Hence my point, Wofford and Furman fans are letting themselves get carried away by the Elon win, and are predicting ridiculous, outlandish winning scores the likes of which have not happened in 10 years.

It will be a good game, but ASU will be determined and gunning hard to bring Wofford down. We have the best home field advantage in FCS. We still have a chip on our shoulder from the 2nd half of the JMU game. We have the most explosive player in the country who is pissed about coming off his worst performance of the year and more than ready to play against a wofford team that he only got a few snaps against last year. It will be a good game, but ASU will prevail at home.

* Wofford has played SoCon No. 3, 6, 8, 9 (ave = 6.5)+ presby(3-5) + chuck south(3-5) +south carolina(5-3)

* ASU has played the SoCon No. 4, 5, 6, 7 (ave = 5.5) = presby (3-5) + Jacksonville(5-3) + LSU (5-2) + JMU (7-1)

RazorEdge19
October 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Appalachian has played a tougher FCS schedule so far.

Against our common opponents (GSU and Presby) we scored more points (in regulation).

I know someone around here says it in bold, but the transitive property doesn't apply to college football. Elon score 66 points on PC whereas Wofford only scored 38, but Wofford beats Elon by 35.

It will be a good game at the Rock, no doubt. I think any prediction, by either side and any difference, is too much. These two teams are so close, that its a coin flip as to who wins...

AsuBucETSU34
October 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM
wcu 42 utc 21
FU 35 Sam 28
gsu 28 Cit 14

Game of the week

ASU 38
WC 28

The rock... plus a undefeated sheet on espn networks aginst fcs oppents...

Skjellyfetti
October 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I know someone around here says it in bold, but the transitive property doesn't apply to college football. Elon score 66 points on PC whereas Wofford only scored 38, but Wofford beats Elon by 35.

That's not the transitive property of football. I wasn't saying it was evidence that Appalachian was going to beat Wofford... only that Appalachian's offense has put up similar numbers against the same competition.

blueballs
October 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Having seen both Wofford and App play against a common opponent in person I would break it down like this:

Offense: Advantage App because of Edwards, he can turn chicken s--t into chicken salad anytime. Even playing sound defense isn't enough sometimes. He's the x-factor.

Defense: Advantage Wofford because of Seth Goldwire. He will be the best defender on the field Saturday and has a knack for making big plays and causing turnovers.

Special teams: Advantage Wofford because App has really struggled in kick coverage.

Intangibles: Even Wofford has Ayers and App has the Rock aka homefield

My take: I saw GSU hand the game to both teams on a silver platter due to turnovers and poor decisions, but GSU never stopped App and they did shut out Wofford for the entire second half. Wofford won this game last year so that means something particularly if they score first but Armanti playing at home is the difference maker. I also wonder if Wofford didn't shoot their wad at Elon last week. IMO the team that wins the turnover battle and has the most 20 yard+ plays wins and that will be App in a close one.

Rekdiver
October 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Okay math geeks, beign a history major I had to look up "transitive property"

So that means for those Wofford fans who say "We beat ASU last year therefore we are National Champions" that would be be incorrect use of transitive property?

Or as Bruce Willis would say " Annnnnh, wrong answer Hans"

terrierbob
October 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hope our momentum isn't transitory

magman919
October 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I don't post much so i'll keep this short.
I have been to nearly every home and away game for App for the last 4 years. There is just something about this team and this program, that leads me to believe they will win Friday's game. Not only that, but take the Socon crown this year. I dont have a long list of analysis of players, schemes, etc. I just know the character and the heart of a champion when I see it.

P.S. Seth goldwire will be the Fourth best defender on the field Friday night.

App State LB's, pick one!!!

37-24 Good guys..

straightshooter
October 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
To say that GSU never stopped App is not exactly correct. App did punt four times to GSU's three, but the Eagles did not stop them at crunch time and they did greatly limit Wofford in the second half.

Wofford's OL is a key. They are senior laden, and Wofford has actually come up wth a bit of a passing game, which seems to be App's weakness. If Wofford can control the line of scrimmage, they've got a shot in Boone.

I give a slight edge to App, only because of the home field advantage.

SideLine Shooter
October 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Face it. If money can buy it, WoCo has it, even officials.

appst97
October 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
So should we also ignore the Furman fans that predicted a win last week? :D

yes

woffordgrad94
October 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Face it. If money can buy it, WoCo has it, even officials.

Dumbest post in a while. xcoffeex

SideLine Shooter
October 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Dumbest post in a while. xcoffeex

Thanks, that's what I was trying for. Success is wonderful!

elcid96
October 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Western Carolina 45, Chattanooga 7 - Based on how many points scored against GSU last weekend, it looks like this could be a big win for Western.

Wofford 28, ASU 27. Great game to the finish and one that cannot really be called.

Samford 28, Furman 14. I really believe that Samford is the fourth best team in the Conference right now and will take Furman out of the playoffs this weekend.

GSU 28, The Citadel 24. After watching four losses in a row and picking wins for all of them, I will try a reverse pick this time and hope for the best. Like a lot of other fans, I really believed we had a great chance this season without taking into consideration that we had all freshmen running backs and only one great receiver. Our second best receiver was injured before the season ever started. Next Year?

Rekdiver
October 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I hope that 28 to 27 prediction is not based on another missed PAT!!!!

Will this be the game that App plays in all 4 quarters? Our defense with all of the injuries, will have to have a miraculous effort up front to stop the big Terrier line. We have to keep our defense off the field.

AppAlum
October 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wofford:28 App St:42
GSU:55 The Citadel:13
Chattanooga:0 Western:0
Furman:34 Samford:32

terrierbob
October 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I have been to nearly every home and away game for App for the last 4 years. There is just something about this team and this program, that leads me to believe they will win Friday's game. Not only that, but take the Socon crown this year. I dont have a long list of analysis of players, schemes, etc. I just know the character and the heart of a champion when I see it.

37-24 Good guys..

From this I infer your think Wofford has the second best heart and character. Never.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Wofford 34- App 32: Something just tells me WoCo is going to win this game. ASU has played a lot of close emotional games this year and I think they are due a letdown.

Furman 27- Samford 17: Samford stands in the way of a Furman playoff bid. The Dogs will be up for this game, but the Paladins have better talent on both sides of the ball.

GSU 34- The Citadel 20: The cadets have really imploded. They aren't playing anyone well, right now.

Western 27- UTC 14: WCU validated what I saw against Furman a few weeks ago. They aren't great, but they are getting better. Anyone is better than UTC right now.

ericsaid
October 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Robert Welton will be back this week i'm pretty sure. Should help out the running game up the middle and should open up the outside more to Devin Radford.

ericsaid
October 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Wofford 34- App 32: Something just tells me WoCo is going to win this game. ASU has played a lot of close emotional games this year and I think they are due a letdown.
Furman 27- Samford 17: Samford stands in the way of a Furman playoff bid. The Dogs will be up for this game, but the Paladins have better talent on both sides of the ball.

GSU 34- The Citadel 20: The cadets have really imploded. They aren't playing anyone well, right now.

Western 27- UTC 14: WCU validated what I saw against Furman a few weeks ago. They aren't great, but they are getting better. Anyone is better than UTC right now.

The letdown was JMU and losing to Wofford wouldn't be a let down if it is close. JMU is the team if any that is due a letdown.

The defense is starting to play better and the offense sputtered for the first time in forever last weekend. If the defense plays like they did last week and the offense plays as they have all year except for last week and a few other exceptions the game should eb won by ASU.

I'd like to say the score will be around 35-31 or maybe 31-28 App.

PhoenixPhan06
October 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know who would be SoCon Champs if ASU beats Wofford then loses to Elon assuming Elon beats WCU and ASU's only SoCon loss is to Elon? Just asking for a little clarification on the tie breaker system. Thanks!

GSUhooligan
October 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=ericsaid;1177688]The letdown was JMU and losing to Wofford wouldn't be a let down if it is close. JMU is the team if any that is due a letdown.
QUOTE]

I agree. JMU = GSU if the ball bounced the other way.

james_lawfirm
October 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know who would be SoCon Champs if ASU beats Wofford then loses to Elon assuming Elon beats WCU and ASU's only SoCon loss is to Elon? Just asking for a little clarification on the tie breaker system. Thanks!

The answer to your question Phan-person, is that if WC, App, & Elon are 7-1, then there are 3 co-champs of the SoCon.

I think your real question (unasked) is who gets the AQ? It goes like this: 1) record (all 3 are 7-1); 2) head to head (if I understand your point each one has beaten one other & lost to the other); & 3) COIN TOSS!!!! I am not kidding - all could be decided by a coin toss in some little SoCon office.

PhoenixPhan06
October 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
The answer to your question Phan-person, is that if WC, App, & Elon are 7-1, then there are 3 co-champs of the SoCon.

I think your real question (unasked) is who gets the AQ? It goes like this: 1) record (all 3 are 7-1); 2) head to head (if I understand your point each one has beaten one other & lost to the other); & 3) COIN TOSS!!!! I am not kidding - all could be decided by a coin toss in some little SoCon office.

I knew all those two headed quarters I have lying around would come in handy!

Thats a shame they can't use margin of victory or some other relevant stat other than a coin toss. I'm sure if this scenario happens all three will get in the playoffs so thats all that matters anyway.

South Carolina Duke
October 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
The letdown was JMU and losing to Wofford wouldn't be a let down if it is close. JMU is the team if any that is due a letdown.

The defense is starting to play better and the offense sputtered for the first time in forever last weekend. If the defense plays like they did last week and the offense plays as they have all year except for last week and a few other exceptions the game should eb won by ASU.

I'd like to say the score will be around 35-31 or maybe 31-28 App.

How was the loss to JMU a let down? If by let down you mean that App was out played and gave up 35 points in 30 minutes.

That finalscore was within a point of what you are predicting against Wofford, only to Appy's favor this time.

How many top 10 teams has App had to play this year? This will their second test against such teams.

Good luck to both

asucrutch23
October 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Anyone want to explain a 3 way coin flip?? :D

biggie
October 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone want to explain a 3 way coin flip?? :D
Usually all 3 flip a coin and the 2 that get the same lose, odd man is winner.

Reign of Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not saying that Wofford is a bad team. I'm just saying that the Elon game has been their best of the year. They have not performed as well in any other game given the level of talent they have played against. The UTC and WCU games don't really say a lot because well, they are a combined 3-14 (with wins over Shorter, Cumberland and Presby) So who have they played, Elon and Georgia Southern. They played pretty darn similar to ASU in the Georgia Southern game. They played similar to ASU in the Presbyterian game. They played well against South Carolina, and ASU played well against LSU. (Wofford "did better" against South Carolina by allowing fewer points, but SC is also not a top 25 team, and they are averaging 10 points less a game than LSU)

So, all in all, ASU and Wofford appear to be playing quite similar. ASU has faced tougher opponents*, but also has one more loss.

How does this translate into a double digits win at the rock? It doesn't. Perhaps Wofford is improving, but the same can be said for ASU. Hence my point, Wofford and Furman fans are letting themselves get carried away by the Elon win, and are predicting ridiculous, outlandish winning scores the likes of which have not happened in 10 years.

It will be a good game, but ASU will be determined and gunning hard to bring Wofford down. We have the best home field advantage in FCS. We still have a chip on our shoulder from the 2nd half of the JMU game. We have the most explosive player in the country who is pissed about coming off his worst performance of the year and more than ready to play against a wofford team that he only got a few snaps against last year. It will be a good game, but ASU will prevail at home.

* Wofford has played SoCon No. 3, 6, 8, 9 (ave = 6.5)+ presby(3-5) + chuck south(3-5) +south carolina(5-3)

* ASU has played the SoCon No. 4, 5, 6, 7 (ave = 5.5) = presby (3-5) + Jacksonville(5-3) + LSU (5-2) + JMU (7-1)

Okay let's get this straight. The first two weeks Wofford used a "primitive" playbook. Against USC we opened it up a little. We played the same playbook until Elon where we put something entirely new that WE HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE.
I wouldn't say they're on this board but App has some fans that think we're underrated because we didn't hang a hundred like we should of.

Reign of Terrier
October 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM

37-24 Good guys..

Well if we're going to go with what we've "seen" I'd say the defense makes plays like the the '03 team (sacks, Turnovers) and the offense is more explosive than the '07 offense (little TOs and When was the last time we saw us lose yard on something other than a reverse?)

I understand your homer pick but to say Goldwire is the fourth best is just plain and simple arrogance. As much as you love your team you have to respect the other team.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
how many rushing yards will wofford get this week???

id say 400!

jhbeagle
October 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Western Carolina 21, Chattanooga 10
App. 35, Wofford 34
Samford 24, Furman 28
GSU 30, The Citadel 28 (after having tree players (freshman) kicked off the team that were pretty good this week I will just take a W no matter how it comes)

james_lawfirm
October 30th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Okay let's get this straight. The first two weeks Wofford used a "primitive" playbook. Against USC we opened it up a little. We played the same playbook until Elon where we put something entirely new that WE HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE.
I wouldn't say they're on this board but App has some fans that think we're underrated because we didn't hang a hundred like we should of.

If App is ranked #2 & Wofford is ranked #3, then no App true fan will think Wofford is underrated, regardless of their ability to run up the score on some hapless frying birds that quit trying in the 3rd qtr. xsmiley_wix

GaSouthern
October 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Surprised that nobody is picking citadel to beat us. I thought they were supposedly getting better and better?

millwoga1
October 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Western 31 UTC 17
Furman 24 Samford 13
GSU 41 The Citadel 38
Wofford 38 App. State 30

JDC325
October 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
1. ASU- Still national champs, still undefeated in the SoCon this year. But for how long?
2. Wofford- Firmly in this position after dominating Elon, and could make an argument for top spot.
3. Elon- Still a threat to reach the playoffs. Still a very dangerous team.
4. Furman- Had a respectable performance at ASU.. has cemented itself in this position for now.
5. Samford- One of the biggest FCS surprises in the nation...a dangerous team for everyone
6. Georgia Southern- It's been a struggle on defense for the Eagles
7. The Citadel- This team is in a free fall.
8. Western Carolina- A much improved team, even if their record doesn't show it. Their hard work should be rewarded Saturday.
9. Chattanooga- They can only hope that word of Allison's departure will inspire the team.

NEXT WEEK:

Western Carolina 31, Chattanooga 21. The WCU streak comes to a merciful end!

Wofford 42, ASU 35. See Wofford-ASU predictions thread.

Furman 24, Samford 21. This pick was not made without some thought. It is a tenuous pick. Samford is capable of taking down the Paladins.

GSU 34, The Citadel 28. This is really anybody's game. But The Bulldogs have zero momentum right now, hence my pick. The Eagles come from behind to win a game yet again!

All in all, it looks like we have some very good games on tap this week in the SoCon. Good luck to your team, unless it is ASU!xsmiley_wix

Samford is better than most thought but to this point it is joke to rate them higher than GSU if you actually took the time to compare schedules. We have lost to a top ten BCS team and three top ten FCS teams by four points while Samford has wins over DIV II Faulkner, W. GA. both with losing records and both FCS wins are over WCU and Citadel both with losing records. So please explain,,,,xeyebrowx

woffordgrad94
October 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I am just impressed by what Samford has done so far, and just have a hunch they will take out one of the so-called "big boys" like, uh, GSU for instance. That's the only explanation I can give you. Opinions are like butts. Everybody has one.

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I agree Samford has played well, but who have they beaten? They can put a feather in their hat saying they almost didn't lose to a number of teams, but don't give them too much credit just yet. They still have Furman, Wofford, and GSU on the docket.

blueballs
October 31st, 2008, 08:22 AM
In defense of Samford the same question could be asked of GSU... GSU has defeated the two worst teams in the SoCon, the worst team in the OVC, and arguably the worst in the CAA. There are no quality wins there, only "quality losses," which the committee doesn't consider.

Has GSU looked better in losing than Samford? Perhaps... but a loss is a loss regardless of how one spins it.

jmufan999
October 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM
In defense of Samford the same question could be asked of GSU... GSU has defeated the two worst teams in the SoCon, the worst team in the OVC, and arguably the worst in the CAA. There are no quality wins there, only "quality losses," which the committee doesn't consider.

Has GSU looked better in losing than Samford? Perhaps... but a loss is a loss regardless of how one spins it.

THANK YOU. the committee doesn't care if you lost by 1 to an FBS team or 30. you lost, period. we lost to Duke, wouldn't have mattered if it was close, we lost. comparing FBS losses is ridiculous.

appfan2008
October 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM

i agree samford has looked very good to me

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
THANK YOU. the committee doesn't care if you lost by 1 to an FBS team or 30. you lost, period. we lost to Duke, wouldn't have mattered if it was close, we lost. comparing FBS losses is ridiculous.

In FCS football they don't care if you lost to LSU, Duke, or Temple. Those games are essentially treated as if they didn't happen, unless you win.

The fact that App lost to LSU and GSU lost to UGA counts just the same as JMU losing to Duke. More embarrassing? Sure. Matter in the long run? not in this league.