PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee-Martin

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have not heard much discussion about this team, so I'm hoping someone can fill me in. Looks like UTM has the inside track at the OVC title right now and is quietly putting together a fine season. Has anyone seen them play? Are there any UTM fans on this board?

Maroons
October 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
There are UTM fans on this board and they will chime in, I am certain... however, TSU still has to have the "inside track" or "driver's seat" or whatever you want to call it because they have wins over BOTH of the other 1-loss teams in the OVC (EKU and UTM). A 3-way tie is impossible because either EKU or UTM will get a 2nd loss during the final game of the season when they play in Martin meaning that as long as TSU wins out, they are taking the OVC auto-bid.

Saying that TSU will surely lose another game and because of that, someone else is in the driver's seat seems highly speculative.

ekufbfan
October 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Just a little trivia regarding EKU and UTM...UTM has never beat EKU ....probably should not jinx us as someday it will happen, hopefully not this season! xpeacex Go Colonels!

Captain
October 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM
UT Martin has a good team this year, especially on offense. Hopefully TSU will lose one and more and the championship will be decided between UT Martin and Eastern Kentucky on the last day of the season. Still a few games left for that to happen, but I would love to see it.

UTM has never beaten Eastern KY and I believe that they are 0 for 18 chances. It would be nice to get that win this year and the OVC title.

I may be biased, but I really think that the OVC is becoming a better football league. I guess we will see if someone can get that elusive playoff win this season.

Cocky
October 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Martin plays hard and is very well prepared.

The OVC is definitely deeper not sure if the top teams are quite there yet. Samford is proving that the OVC isn't quite as bad as some believe.

Weems
October 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM
UTM has never beaten EKU, that is very true. EKU, even in their down year(06) beat us and made it to where the OVC was decided on a coin toss(correct me if i'm wrong). UTM has a great offense, and is complimented with a very sound defense.

SU DOG
October 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM

The OVC is definitely deeper not sure if the top teams are quite there yet. Samford is proving that the OVC isn't quite as bad as some believe.

Have to disagree with you about your Samford reference. The OVC NEVER saw a Samford Team like this year's squad. This is Sullivan's second year and there is no comparison as to now and what the OVC remembers of the Dogs.

Dane96
October 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM
THE OVC is as bad as some believe because of their abysmal playoff record.

EKU05
October 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Have to disagree with you about your Samford reference. The OVC NEVER saw a Samford Team like this year's squad. This is Sullivan's second year and there is no comparison as to now and what the OVC remembers of the Dogs.

I actually think the OVC is a little down from last year, and Samford is better, but they still wouldn't win the OVC title this year. Top half for sure.

Cocky
October 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I've seen Samford this year and there isn't much difference.

Jiggs
October 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I've seen Samford this year and there isn't much difference.

I've seen Samford against WCU, App State, and The Citadel in person. Saw the Ole Miss replay on television. Trust me, Samford hasn't had a team like this in quite a while.

MoreheadEagle
October 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I like seeing UTM do well in the OVC just b/c it makes the race more interesting. However, UTM being successful in OVC football makes me mad b/c they have a smaller budget than Morehead and still manage to field a competitve OVC football team the last couple of seasons. Meanwhile, MSU is once again going to fail to win the PFL championship.

I hope this is the season the OVC ends the postseason drought in football and basketball

hawkeye
October 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I like seeing UTM do well in the OVC just b/c it makes the race more interesting. However, UTM being successful in OVC football makes me mad b/c they have a smaller budget than Morehead and still manage to field a competitve OVC football team the last couple of seasons. Meanwhile, MSU is once again going to fail to win the PFL championship.

I hope this is the season the OVC ends the postseason drought in football and basketball

Its called Coaching my friend. UT Martin is very fortunate to have Head Coach Jason Simpson(Possible Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year) and D-Coordinator Chris Boone. Both products from the University of Southern MS. Both very young with a lot of experience from moving their families all over the Southeast. VERY aggressive on recruiting. Just look at Martin on the field. They are nothing impressive at first glance. They have skilled players at the right position and make changes as necessary. The offense is built on speed and the defense while not fancy will sneak a takeaway JUST at the right time. Simpson is a "gambler" like Tuberville and Boone will "Joe Lee Dunn" xsmiley_wix a defense just to make it interesting. They are fun to watch. Look at 2006 OVC championship and 2007 losses only by a thread. Now in third year 2008 and vowing for yet another OVC Championship. All of this coming from a school who in the past were.....well........LOSERS. Coach Simpson and Coach Boone, hats off to you for a job well done!! xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
you can say what you want about how the ovc is getting better but that playoff record will follow your conference around until you start winning some games... and I would love to see either tenn. st or utm or eku come to boone in the first round... sure would beat having to play a caa team

Weems
October 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Its called Coaching my friend...Look at 2006 OVC championship and 2007 losses only by a thread. Now in third year 2008 and vowing for yet another OVC Championship. All of this coming from a school who in the past were.....well........LOSERS. Coach Simpson and Coach Boone, hats off to you for a job well done!! xthumbsupx

I would have to agree 100% They show fire when they are out on the field and the players respond to that. I think Coach Simpson will be around for a few more years... Hopefully so will Boone.

Maroons
October 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
you can say what you want about how the ovc is getting better but that playoff record will follow your conference around until you start winning some games... and I would love to see either tenn. st or utm or eku come to boone in the first round... sure would beat having to play a caa team

Does it make sense geographically? I mean, it does on one hand because the OVC and SoCon footprints overlap... but they have to send someone to the MVC teams (insert OVC team here) and with 4-5 CAA teams getting in, it only makes sense to send one to the SoCon champs... especially if they are so close to CAA territory. Maybe if two OVC teams get in again this year, one will go to UNI and one will go to App.? After all, wasn't last year one at SIU and one at Richmond?

URMite
October 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM

As one of the two most likely CAA teams to visit, I think an OVC team at Boone is a wonderful idea. xlolx Although if we are in, I think we will be visiting somebody in the Socon and don't see a lot of fun choices. xsmhx

ekufbfan
October 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I am going to catch ....for this , but here goes. I have been watching IAA/FCS playoffs since 1980 and not getting a home game (which OVC teams typically have not been getting even when they deserve it) makes a difference in playoff games! You can argue it does not all you want, but if it has no baring on the outcome then why do teams all want home games? If you always get to play at home, you have your fans, your home field, your bed to sleep in, no travel time, etc. I know the OVC record certainly is not all because of playing away games, but had OVC teams got to stay at home I believe we would have seen more wins. If you are the conference champ, I don't care who you are, you should not have to travel to another conference runner up or 3rd-4th place team's place.

MoreheadEagle
October 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Is the OVC a one bid this season? I don't see two OVC teams making the playoff unless I'm missing something.

Maroons
October 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Is the OVC a one bid this season? I don't see two OVC teams making the playoff unless I'm missing something.

In the past, the selection committee has chosen to take a second OVC team even when the polls and the GPI do not seem to indicate that such a reward is merited. The way things are shaking out this season, I would say that is unlikely... but it is not impossible.

ekufbfan
October 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
In the past, the selection committee has chosen to take a second OVC team even when the polls and the GPI do not seem to indicate that such a reward is merited. The way things are shaking out this season, I would say that is unlikely... but it is not impossible.

Maroons,
Are you as dismayed as I am that EKU does not even get a mention and Jax State does....even though they have lost to us and UTM? In the everyday scheme of things it does not mean a lot, we still have to win out. However if things somehow fall into place for us and we aren't even headed toward the top 25 we are in trouble and are headed to ten-buck-two to play a first round game.

If we have a significant/convincing WIN on Saturday I think we have an excellent chance of winning the rest of our games (they will make a believer out of me), including against UTM.
GO EKU!

Maroons
October 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Maroons,
Are you as dismayed as I am that EKU does not even get a mention and Jax State does....even though they have lost to us and UTM? In the everyday scheme of things it does not mean a lot, we still have to win out. However if things somehow fall into place for us and we aren't even headed toward the top 25 we are in trouble and are headed to ten-buck-two to play a first round game.

If we have a significant/convincing WIN on Saturday I think we have an excellent chance of winning the rest of our games (they will make a believer out of me), including against UTM.
GO EKU!

I made a post on EKUPride about that very subject. I wasn't necessarily surprised the first week after we beat JSU... but after their loss to UTM, I expected EKU to be the third-ranked OVC team. Instead, our Colonels are fourth if they are ranked at all.

ekufbfan
October 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I made a post on EKUPride about that very subject. I wasn't necessarily surprised the first week after we beat JSU... but after their loss to UTM, I expected EKU to be the third-ranked OVC team. Instead, our Colonels are fourth if they are ranked at all.

Maybe we should stop playing FBS schools before the start of the conference..play DII, DIII or NAIA...of course next year we get UK and IU...then the following years...U of L...Purdue....etc., etc.......

When do JSU and TSU play each other?

Weems
October 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe we should stop playing FBS schools before the start of the conference..play DII, DIII or NAIA...of course next year we get UK and IU...then the following years...U of L...Purdue....etc., etc.......

When do JSU and TSU play each other?

Nov 15

If JSU wins, which is very possible, it will make our Nov 22 showdown for all the marbles xthumbsupx (assuming both teams win out)

Eight Legger
October 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
EKU guys, I had you all ranked 21 in my AGS poll this week...apparently I didn't have four other voters support me in that position, since I noticed that EKU didn't show up at all in the others receiving votes.

Maroons
October 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
EKU guys, I had you all ranked 21 in my AGS poll this week...apparently I didn't have four other voters support me in that position, since I noticed that EKU didn't show up at all in the others receiving votes.

So what happens? Do they toss out your whole ballot or just that part or what?

Eight Legger
October 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
So what happens? Do they toss out your whole ballot or just that part or what?

No, I think they just don't show teams like EKU who didn't receive at least five votes. I assume the rest of the ballot is counted as normal. Next week I'll vote you guys #1 just to see...xthumbsupx

Maroons
October 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
No, I think they just don't show teams like EKU who didn't receive at least five votes. I assume the rest of the ballot is counted as normal. Next week I'll vote you guys #1 just to see...xthumbsupx

Hah! Then they'll throw your whole ballot out!

How about your boy Hightower? Having a fine rookie season! I still remember him pounding the holes in that playoff game against us last year.

bkrownd
October 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Saw a few minutes of UTM playing on ESPN cable last week, which was a fun surprise. Too bad the OP missed it. I like the 70's style non-nonsense helmets. Unfortunately I couldn't watch that night. (Also saw some other odd ones on TV this weekend like Columbia-Dartmouth and Alabama State - Alabama A&M. Fun)

Eight Legger
October 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hah! Then they'll throw your whole ballot out!

How about your boy Hightower? Having a fine rookie season! I still remember him pounding the holes in that playoff game against us last year.

Timmy is having an awesome rookie year...looks like he might be starting for them next year. A bunch of us are waiting to buy Hightower jerseys as soon as they start making them!

roTSU50
October 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Saw a few minutes of UTM playing on ESPN cable last week, which was a fun surprise. Too bad the OP missed it. I like the 70's style non-nonsense helmets. Unfortunately I couldn't watch that night. (Also saw some other odd ones on TV this weekend like Columbia-Dartmouth and Alabama State - Alabama A&M. Fun)

Alabama State and A&M isn't that odd when you consider how many people are at that game.
I think that game is close to 50 t0 60 thousand.

MaroonDoom
October 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
UTM have come a long way with there program in FCS. I remember the first time they came to Richmond KY & they were overmatched. There has been some close calls between EKU & UTM & this year will be no different. Still I predict only one OVC team in the playoffs.

TTUEagles
October 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think one of the main reasons that UTM has turned things around significantly does deal with recruiting. But, not just with the coaches, I'm talking about facilities. When I played at UTM, it was pathetic, worse than some high schools. Now, they have (what looks to me) a nice football building at one end, new turf, refurbished stands, etc. I think that's what a lot of kids look at when considering going to UTM vs APSU, Murray, TTU, etc. I know my school, TTU, has made strides and are supposedly about to really improve facilities. But, I've heard from more than a few high school potential recruits how they just don't like TTU's facilities compared to other schools in FCS.

hawkeye
October 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Maroons,

GO EKU!

EIU and Jax St. thought the same thing. I know we have had our troubles with EKU and I have been to several of those games. EKU has always stood out to me as the best in the OVC. I just feel like this is our year. Hey, we have not got past SEMO. Still a lot of football to play...........plus.......the AUBURN Tigers are next for us.

leatherneck177
October 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Key words are bolded above. Still bad.

jaxstatealum
October 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM
EIU and Jax St. thought the same thing. I know we have had our troubles with EKU and I have been to several of those games. EKU has always stood out to me as the best in the OVC. I just feel like this is our year. Hey, we have not got past SEMO. Still a lot of football to play...........plus.......the AUBURN Tigers are next for us.

The way awburn is playing you guy's will beat them. I hope so; that would be great for the OVC and FCS!

jaxstatealum
October 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM

You of course have your right to be wrong xwhistlex

hawkeye
October 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
You of course have your right to be wrong xwhistlex

Leatherneck? What the hell?!?!?!xconfusedx

hawkeye
October 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Leatherneck? Is that a redneck turned rash?xconfusedx

EKU05
October 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Do you think Auburn will be mad that you stole their uniforms? Don't get me wrong, I think they look great, but it's hard not to see the resemblence. Add that to the fact that UTM hasn't even traditionally worn navy blue (doesn't the basketball team still wear regular blue?).

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how a game like that affects a team late in the season. We're doing the same thing next year playing two BCS conference schools with one being fairly late in the season (Indiana and Kentucky for us). Best of luck against Auburn, but not too much. My best friend from high school is a huge Auburn fan and he's not too happy these days.

hawkeye
October 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Do you think Auburn will be mad that you stole their uniforms? Don't get me wrong, I think they look great, but it's hard not to see the resemblence. Add that to the fact that UTM hasn't even traditionally worn navy blue (doesn't the basketball team still wear regular blue?).

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how a game like that affects a team late in the season. We're doing the same thing next year playing two BCS conference schools with one being fairly late in the season (Indiana and Kentucky for us). Best of luck against Auburn, but not too much. My best friend from high school is a huge Auburn fan and he's not too happy these days.

Coach Tuperware could care less what we wore. The UTM coaches called to see about the all orange jersey and he gave his blessing on that.(What a nice guy) Like Saban said about the Georgia RED OUT....Im more concerned about the talent on the field rather than the color of their jersey. Awburn just wants a win and sure they will try to pin 60 or more on the Hawks. Get in get out with minmal injury and get ready to beat SEMO.

Weems
October 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Coach Tuperware could care less what we wore. The UTM coaches called to see about the all orange jersey and he gave his blessing on that.(What a nice guy) Like Saban said about the Georgia RED OUT....Im more concerned about the talent on the field rather than the color of their jersey. Awburn just wants a win and sure they will try to pin 60 or more on the Hawks. Get in get out with minmal injury and get ready to beat SEMO.

UTM is wearing the Orange jerseys for the game? Does that mean that Auburn is going to wear their away jerseys, or are they both going to be wearing the Solid color jerseys?

TTUEagles
October 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM
TTU played at Auburn last year and we were treated very well (as fans). I've been treated MUCH worse at some OVC road games and others...Auburn could've named the score last year (although we turned it over twice inside AU's 10), but Tuberville significantly "called off the dogs." I have more respect for him after that. I hope UTM plays them close, but it's still Auburn. I don't think they'll run it up in the least.

hawkeye
October 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
UTM is wearing the Orange jerseys for the game? Does that mean that Auburn is going to wear their away jerseys, or are they both going to be wearing the Solid color jerseys?

Weems, that is my understanding. They were going to bring the new orange jerseys out the Auburn game instead of TSU. Not that it matters. I just hope to get out injury free and prepare for the OVC run.

MaroonDoom
October 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Playing a FBS team this late in the season is crazy. You are correct to worry about the injury issue. Money talks I guess.

Maroons
October 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Playing a FBS team this late in the season is crazy. You are correct to worry about the injury issue. Money talks I guess.

We'll be playing UK on Nov. 7 in 2009! How's that for crazy?

MaroonDoom
October 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Is that date set in stone? Must be UK's Homecoming? I have noticed over the years that some game dates get revised without warning. I am more concerned about our QB situation next year.