PDA

View Full Version : If there were an NIT in I-AA

nmatsen
November 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Thought this might be kind of neat to put in here and to give a little love to the so deserving IL State Redbirds.

If there were an NIT in 1-AA Football I believe that IL State would run away with it. They might be one of the most talented teams I have seen, how they are 7-4 I have no clue (Western Illinois Guys come on).

What are your thoughts?

colgate13
November 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I think JMU might have something to say about this.:p

wkuhillhound
November 9th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Congratulations on your team's HUGE victory over WKU. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Portland St. is definitely in that field. I'd also put Colgate or Lafayette too, should Lehigh win out, though I feel Colgate has an outside shot at the playoffs if some craziness ensues. Can Lafayette still win the Patriot?

atlGAmocs
November 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Western Carolina in the SoCon would deserve a look. UTC if they could beat Furman.

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I think JMU might have something to say about this.:p

HAHAHA! Seriously....pretty funny that JMU is the first team mentioned. Not everyone associated with JMU thinks JMU deserves a spot in the playoffs. Please cut the rest of us some slack!! Geez! :rolleyes:

Anyways....might YSU, UR or M&R (aka W&M) fall into this category as well? CCU? SCSU?

Seriously...fantastic thread! I can see the ***** flying already, from every part of the country. :D

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Thought this might be kind of neat to put in here and to give a little love to the so deserving IL State Redbirds.

If there were an NIT in 1-AA Football I believe that IL State would run away with it. They might be one of the most talented teams I have seen, how they are 7-4 I have no clue (Western Illinois Guys come on).

What are your thoughts?

7-4?..........DEY AREN'T DAT "MOST" TALENTED!....:(.....BAWK!

grizband
November 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
If Montana State fails to make the playoffs, I would have to put them in this list. They are a team that, if everything clicks, could cause some damage in the playoffs this year. Yet, due to the games they have remaining, there is a possibility that they may not even make the playoffs this year.

Reed Rothchild
November 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
7-4?..........DEY AREN'T DAT "MOST" TALENTED!....:(.....BAWK!

I would say they might be. Injuries and bad coaching have nullified their talent. The issue with Illinois State has never been lack of talent

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
OK, here's a potential 12-team NIT bracket:

Illinois St.
Eastern Washington
Portland St.
JMU
Western Carolina
San Diego
South Carolina St.
Colgate
Jacksonville St.
N'Western St.
William & Mary
Eastern Kentucky

Prelim games:
San Diego at Portland St. (#1)
Jacksonville St. at William & Mary (#2)
Eastern Kentucky at South Carolina St. (#3)
Colgate at Western Carolina (#4)

Game #1 winner at #1 Illinois St.
Game #3 winner at James Madison

Game #2 winner at #2 Eastern Washington
Game #4 winner at N'Western St.

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I'd find it pretty easy to believe App would have won it in '03 and '04, particularly '03 with Richie, DaVan, and the big man K.T. Stovall.

bandl
November 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I would say they might be. Injuries and bad coaching have nullified their talent. The issue with Illinois State has never been lack of talent

That's like saying "JMU is the best team in the nation, except for the fact that they scored fewer points than their opponents in 4 games. And the fact that they got manhandled by one team's running game (UD) and they played in mud in a few games. If they score more, don't get manhandled by UD and play on a dry, fast surface, THEY ARE THE BEST TEAM IN ALL THE LAND!"

It is what it is...injuries and bad coaching are part of the game. If they were the cause of a lost game, it means the other team outperformed you in the only statistic that matters at the end of the game (I hope I don't have to say what that statistic is).

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Let's assume an 12 team field with the only reqiurement being to finish over .500.

I would propose the following 12-team field:

JMU
W&M
EWU
Weber St.
Ill St
Loser of WKU/YSU
SCSU
Colgate
WCU
McNeese St.
Jax St.
San Diego

First round matchups:

San Diego at Weber St. (winner plays at Ill St)
Jax St. at SCSU (winner plays at JMU)
McNeese St. at WKU/YSU loser (winner plays at EWU)
WCU at W&M (winner plays at Colgate)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
That's like saying "JMU is the best team in the nation, except for the fact that they scored fewer points than their opponents in 4 games. And the fact that they got manhandled by one team's running game (UD) and they played in mud in a few games. If they score more, don't get manhandled by UD and play on a dry, fast surface, THEY ARE THE BEST TEAM IN ALL THE LAND!"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, this response has to get some sort of props!

colgate13
November 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Can Lafayette still win the Patriot?

Certianly. Beat Lehigh and Colgate stumbles. Hardly impossible.

henfan
November 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM
If there were an NIT in I-AA... nobody would care, just like with basketball. It would be as meaningful, well attended and financially rewarding as the Silicon Valley or Ft. Worth Bowls. Please don't wish that on I-AA.

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_consonants/y/images/yawn.jpg

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Was thinking the same thing henfan. :cool:

charliej
November 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Didn't we have this discussion last year?

SeattleGriz
November 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Eastern Washington. As a Big Sky fan, I am disappointed they most likely won't make the playoffs. When the offense is rolling, they would be unstoppable.

Too bad.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM
The fact that this thread even exists is a good indicator that the current 16 team format is outdated. There are too many good teams and conferences excluded because the "old guard" wants it that way. Expand the playoffs to 24 teams, and San Diego or any team the wins the PFL is in! No one has mentioned Dayton, but we did finish 9-1 this season with our only loss to San Diego! ( And our coach has no DUI's! )

LacesOut
November 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Eastern Washington. As a Big Sky fan, I am disappointed they most likely won't make the playoffs. When the offense is rolling, they would be unstoppable.

Too bad.

That was my sentiment also.

Heck, I would like to see any of the good teams from the West play.

89Hen
November 10th, 2005, 08:27 AM
There are too many good teams and conferences excluded because the "old guard" wants it that way.
Not true. Matter of fact, there are too many bad teams let in (OVC hasn't won a playoff game in almost 10 years).

Proud Griz Man
November 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I am questioning the comment about the need to expand the I-AA playoffs beyond 16. Not at this time IMHO.

Back to topic, North Dakota State is a good football program and will not be in the playoffs.

OrneryAggie
November 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Since the NIT isn't really the NCAA's then transitionary schools like UCD and NDSU could be included. The ags are gamers and would step it up for an NIT championship.

henfan
November 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Matter of fact, there are too many bad teams let in

Agree, 89'. I am in favor of a separate playoff or championship game for I-AA conferences with equity requirements lower D-II maximum levels. I'm also strongly in favor of the MAAC, NEC and Pioneer getting auto-bids to the I-AA Playoffs, provided they begin requiring their programs offer the same number of equivalancies as the current auto-bid leagues. In other words, if your league makes the committment, you get the reward. Lack of institutional committment beyond D-II levels should remain a disincentive in I-AA.