PDA

View Full Version : UMass at Army

umassfan
November 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Im looking for a I-AA win here...

One aspect of the season that I-AA followers would like to forget is the performance against I-A foes. Everyone knows about UC Davis’ upset win at Stanford, and Northwestern State pulled off a win against Louisiana-Monroe. There were some close calls, but the overall year was disappointing for I-AA teams against I-A foes with only two wins in 50 chances thus far . Massachusetts has the last realistic shot at adding another win against a I-A school, but the Minutemen really do have a good opportunity to knock off a I-A squad. Massachusetts has the best defense in I-AA, and does a great job against the run and the pass. The Minutemen allow just 2.82 yards per carry and rank third in the nation against the pass, and should give an Army offense that only averages 15.6 points per game a lot of trouble. Despite that, I still would have picked the Minutemen to lose a few weeks ago. Massachusetts struggled on offense for the first half of the season, but a strong running game and the maturation of Liam Coen at quarterback gives the Minutemen potential to put points on the board. Army’s defense will make it tough to put up huge numbers, but the Massachusetts offense is playing well enough to score a close victory. Prediction: Massachusetts 17, Army 14

ASU Kep
November 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM
As always, even though I'm certainly no UMASS fan...GOOD LUCK!

mainejeff
November 8th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I think that UMass is going to win this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Is it it Army's last home game? I think Umass should win but if it's sr. day at Michie that might be a tough task, never question the heart of a cadet.

Tod
November 8th, 2005, 11:19 PM

Me too. By double digits.

mainejeff
November 9th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Is it it Army's last home game? I think Umass should win but if it's sr. day at Michie that might be a tough task, never question the heart of a cadet.

No, just question the talent on their football team.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Me too. By double digits.
I am pretty much gonna have to go against all of you. I think Army is going to take this one. They don't lack talent on their team, they lack size.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I agree with Hamptongal. Army lost its first six (including a respectable 7-point loss to Iowa State) but has won its last two, including a 3-point win over Air Force on the road last week. Army has one more home game after UMass, but the Cadets will still be fired up. I'll predict Army, 17-10.

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I agree with Hamptongal. Army lost its first six (including a respectable 7-point loss to Iowa State) but has won its last two, including a 3-point win over Air Force on the road last week. Army has one more home game after UMass, but the Cadets will still be fired up. I'll predict Army, 17-10.
Our game is between their Air Force game and Navy game... couldnt have picked a better week to play them. :D

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Our game is between their Air Force game and Navy game... couldnt have picked a better week to play them. :D

Well, they don't play Navy until 12/3, so I don't think they'll be looking past you quite yet. They should be playing with confidence coming off the win in Colorado Springs, however.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Actually it's between their Air Force and Arkansas St games - Navy is in December - I'm not so sure that they'll overlook UMass to look ahead to Arkansas St (whom UMass may very well be better than since Ark St is a lowly Sun Belt team). And actually, seeing how Army just got their first win two weeks ago, and didn't win a lot last year either, it's hard to imagine they're looking by anybody right now.

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Well, they don't play Navy until 12/3, so I don't think they'll be looking past you quite yet. They should be playing with confidence coming off the win in Colorado Springs, however.
For some reason I was thinking Navy was next week... anyways... maybe their confidence we can use against them, but Bobby Ross did have alot of nice things to say about our team:

Massachusetts is a very talented football team. They've lost two games by a combined total of nine points. This is probably one of the top two or three I-AA programs in the country. They have nine transfers from Division I-A schools, so they have talent. Their offensive line is as good as I've seen in the sense of what they do and how they execute. I was particularly impressed with David Thompson. He's as good an offensive lineman as I've seen. He stays on his feet well. He moves well. He's a very good zone blocker; he does an excellent job. Their wide receivers are tall and they can run. Their running back (Steve Baylark) is about 225 pounds. He can run; he's got good speed and he has size to go along with it. Their quarterback Liam Coen is a two-dimensional guy. He can run as well as throw. You need to keep him in the net when he comes out on the bootleg. Their backup running back (R.J. Cobbs) is very talented. Their tightends are both talented.

They have a very athletic defensive unit. Their size will match up to ours. Their secondary is particularly athletic. They are very good at intercepting passes. This is a fine football team. We'll be challenged and we know that. We'll have to play to our best because they are capable of beating a lot of football teams.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM
For some reason I was thinking Navy was next week... anyways... maybe their confidence we can use against them, but Bobby Ross did have alot of nice things to say about our team:

After the reporters left, Bobby Ross was overheard on an open mike to say:"Forget all that highfalutin crap, boys! Actually, UMass couldn't beat 11 nuns on walkers!"

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 05:32 PM
After the reporters left, Bobby Ross was overheard on an open mike to say:"Forget all that highfalutin crap, boys! Actually, UMass couldn't beat 11 nuns on walkers!"
Hows Harvards season going?

charliej
November 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I think the fact that Ross called UMass one of the top two or three teams in the country shows how little he knows about I-AA. :p

just a little joke there Massfan,just a little joke.

Hansel
November 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM
something like 20-6 Army, with the game not actually being that close, UMass D will keep them in check, but the minutemen will have trouble scoring

hvsader
November 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Youmass will have no trouble winning this game...

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 07:52 PM
something like 20-6 Army, with the game not actually being that close, UMass D will keep them in check, but the minutemen will have trouble scoring
Is that what you think will happen or what you want to happen? I think its more of the second then first.

blukeys
November 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I think the fact that Ross called UMass one of the top two or three teams in the country shows how little he knows about I-AA. :p

just a little joke there Massfan,just a little joke.

I think Ross is right. But keep in mind in this crazy year there are about 20 teams you could label as the top 2 or 3 in the country right now.

I think if Umass keeps the turnovers even they win. Matchups between top level I-AA's and lower level I-A's revolve on turnovers.

The referee calls usually go the way of the I-A teams in these games.

I think Umass has a slight talent advantage but we all know that is not the Whole story. This will be a close game and Umass wins IF the turnovers are equal.

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Army is not a team that creates alot of turnovers... UMass though is.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Hows Harvards season going?

We're 5-3 with Penn and Yale left. We can beat the nuns, though! :p

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Army is not a team that creates alot of turnovers... UMass though is.
I really think you are overestimating UMass and as a fan you should, but I think you are going to be surprised by how disciplined they are, and it can be exhausting playing against that type of team.

UMass922
November 10th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I guess I'm in the minority that's skeptical about how winnable a game this really is for UMass. Army is still a bottom-feeder, but they are coming off two straight wins (including one over Air Force--still a respectable team even though they're having a down year) and they came very close to upsetting Iowa St. earlier this season. Their record still isn't good but they seem to be a lot more competitive than they've been in recent years. The UMass offense has improved greatly since the early-season debacle at Colgate, but they're still prone to killing themselves with penalties. I wouldn't be shocked to see UMass win, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I can see Army winning a 24-14 kind of game.

UMass922
November 10th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Also, every coach says nice things about every opponent before every game. That's what coaches do, no matter who their team is playing. It's pure convention. If we were 2-9, he'd be finding nice things to say about us, too. I don't doubt the sincerity of much of what Ross said, but I just don't think it's of much consequence.

HensRock
November 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
UMass needs to settle down and play sound, solid football. If they start to panic they will lose. But if they stay calm and stick to to their assignments on defense, they can win this game. One thing for sure, if UMass wins and doesn't get too banged up, they will have a load of confidence heading into the playoffs and that would serve them very well indeed.

Go UMass

( :eek: did I really just say that? )

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Also, every coach says nice things about every opponent before every game. That's what coaches do, no matter who their team is playing. It's pure convention. If we were 2-9, he'd be finding nice things to say about us, too. I don't doubt the sincerity of much of what Ross said, but I just don't think it's of much consequence.
Some people don't quite understand that about coaches. I may have some personal bias, only slight (I am a graduate 2004, my brother graduated 2001 and my other brother graduated 1984) but I really think Army is gonna win, I have been watching them very closely this year and I think if they played the way they played the last two games they will win.

Umass74
November 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I'm going to put a double hoo-doo on Army.

I'm wearing my UMass sweatshirt and my "Navy Vet" cap. :)

saint0917
November 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Go UMass
( :eek: did I really just say that? )

Yes you did :D :nod: That has to be the nicest thing a Delaware fan has ever said about Umass, I think I'm getting a tear in my eye.

Maroon&White
November 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
UMass needs to settle down and play sound, solid football. If they start to panic they will lose. But if they stay calm and stick to to their assignments on defense, they can win this game.

Sounds like the gameplan for stopping the option.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I'm going to put a double hoo-doo on Army.

I'm wearing my UMass sweatshirt and my "Navy Vet" cap. :)
Hahaha. :mad: ;)

Umass74
November 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Hamptongal:

That's OK. When we play Navy in 2006, I'm going to be all UMass.

After all, no matter what academy they play for, they're all future officers :mad: ;)

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Hamptongal:

That's OK. When we play Navy in 2006, I'm going to be all UMass.

After all, no matter what academy they play for, they're all future officers :mad: ;)

Yeah but don't you think me and my two brothers who graduated from USMA talked smack to my sister who graduated from USAFA after they won? OF course. And if Army beats Navy I'll be talking the good talk to every Navy Officer I can find, including my dad who went to Yale and was a Navy Pilot. We fight together but when it comes to jawjacking, it still goes on especially over where there is nothing better to do.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Hey, I was listening to WFAN last night on the way home and Mike and the Mad Dog were talking with one of thier staff who moonlights as the Army radio announcer and they were all in agreement that Army has a real shot to run the table the rest of the way - they quickly counted UMass as a win and moved on. Bulletin Board material?

UMass922
November 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds like the gameplan for stopping the option.

Under Ross, Army no longer runs the option, no?

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Under Ross, Army no longer runs the option, no?
correct.

umassfan
November 11th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I was looking over the stats and just noticed their QB has 5 tds and 12 ints... This right here looks like a field day for our DBs.

GannonFan
November 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I was looking over the stats and just noticed their QB has 5 tds and 12 ints... This right here looks like a field day for our DBs.

Well, once again, stats by themselves don't always tell the story - all 12 of those picks came in 5 of the first 6 games, with 9 of them coming in the first 4. They've done a good job of protecting the ball since. They did play some pretty decent teams in those games (BC, TCU, Iowa St) and had to play from behind. If you guys blow them out early I imagine you will get your share of INT's. I'm thinking Army stays in the game for a little while though.

Hamptongal
November 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Well, once again, stats by themselves don't always tell the story - all 12 of those picks came in 5 of the first 6 games, with 9 of them coming in the first 4. They've done a good job of protecting the ball since. They did play some pretty decent teams in those games (BC, TCU, Iowa St) and had to play from behind. If you guys blow them out early I imagine you will get your share of INT's. I'm thinking Army stays in the game for a little while though.
Thanks I thought I was going to have to educate and explain the turnaround myself, although I will add that the O-line's improvement have taken so much pressure off the QB that he isn't being pressured and throwing the ball wildly, and he also learned to throw the ball away.

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Should be a good game. The UMass Offense is starting to gel nicely and the UMass WRs could create some matchup problems for Army. Look for UMass to spread the defense and exploit some of the matchup difficulties that Army faces in the secondary. Look out for Mr. James....

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks I thought I was going to have to educate and explain the turnaround myself, although I will add that the O-line's improvement have taken so much pressure off the QB that he isn't being pressured and throwing the ball wildly, and he also learned to throw the ball away.
I dont think that is something you learn in 2 weeks... He may have had better protection due to the two teams he has played over the past two weeks... I dont know if he has faced a blitzing D like UMass's either this season. Should be interesting to see.

Hamptongal
November 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I dont think that is something you learn in 2 weeks... He may have had better protection due to the two teams he has played over the past two weeks... I dont know if he has faced a blitzing D like UMass's either this season. Should be interesting to see.
:)

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
:)
He was INTed and had many histakes himself... so he wasnt great by any strech.

Hamptongal
November 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
He was INTed and had many histakes himself... so he wasnt great by any strech.
I was jes' playin'. However, it wasn't like in the beginning of the year when he had so many ints in a few games.

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I was jes' playin'. However, it wasn't like in the beginning of the year when he had so many ints in a few games.
I agree... I was just saying...

GrizSweeper
November 12th, 2005, 03:11 PM
who does UMass have next week?

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
who does UMass have next week?
@Hofstra

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
@Hofstra
We WILL win at Hofstra... as Coach Brown said... Good teams do not loose two in a row!

UMass922
November 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
To quote myself from earlier in the week:

The UMass offense has improved greatly since the early-season debacle at Colgate, but they're still prone to killing themselves with penalties.

The penalties have got to stop. And if they don't, I can't see us going very far in the playoffs--should we even get in at all, seeing as the Hofstra game is far from a given. (Boy, am I nervous about next week. That will be a tough game.)

UMass922
November 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM
We WILL win at Hofstra... as Coach Brown said... Good teams do not loose two in a row!

Then I guess next week we'll find out whether or not UMass is truly a good team.

dwtime
November 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM
UMass wins the Auto bid if all three win out because of UMass's win over Army and UNH getting no points for their win over UC Davis

umassfan please correct me I must have read the UMass Army score wrong...... :D