PDA

View Full Version : Hampton/Coastal questions

GSU Eagle
November 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Let's see what others think:

2 questions:

1. Will Hampton be seeded?
2. Will Coastal get into the playoffs?

My answer to both is yes. I know Hampton is not in the top 4 according to the computer rankings, but I fully believe they will be either a 2 or 3 seed if they go undefeated at 11-0.

Coastal. At 10-1 with a couple of wins over decent teams in JMU and SC St. I say they get in. The obvious matchup in the 1st round is Coastal at Furman.

Other thoughts?

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Let's see what others think:

2 questions:

1. Will Hampton be seeded?
2. Will Coastal get into the playoffs?

My answer to both is yes. I know Hampton is not in the top 4 according to the computer rankings, but I fully believe they will be either a 2 or 3 seed if they go undefeated at 11-0.

Coastal. At 10-1 with a couple of wins over decent teams in JMU and SC St. I say they get in. The obvious matchup in the 1st round is Coastal at Furman.

Other thoughts?

1.Yes
2.I hope so

blackfordpu
November 8th, 2005, 08:26 PM
If Coastal goes 10-1, yes they get in.

Hampton's seed fate depends on how the top 5 do the next two weeks.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I think they both do. And I say Hampton gets seeded at 11-0. I don't care who you are, and what conference you paly in, it is difficult to go undefeated in a season, period, especially when the entire conference is gunning for you.

Coastal, I think they would be in at 9-2.... but, not 9-2 with a late loss. I don't care who the loss is against, the playoff committee does seem to look at momentum going into the playoffs as a stat for picking teams.

chantster
November 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Ralph sez Coastal is in. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2005, 10:35 PM
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :spank: :spank: :spank:

umassfan
November 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
If UMass beats Army and Hofstra... I just dont see how Hampton gets a seed over us... They could be 100-0 and I just couldnt see it.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Ralph just has opinions like the rest of us and really has no more clout than any of the rest of us.

I could start writing columns and run a I-AA website and say things like that, but it is still just me, a regular joe, making comments.

PIRATE1
November 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Come on UMASS fan - Have you been or seen a Hampton game?

They have or should we say, they are running the table.

Why is it you are not really looking at one of the best teams in I-AA seriously? :)

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Why is it you are not really looking at one of the best teams in I-AA seriously? :)

Because 1 you havent played anyone, 2 havent played anyone, and 3 havent played anyone... the only way you will win a playoff game is if you play coastal in round 1 and even that is questionable.

FlyBoy8
November 9th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Whether Hampton is one of the best teams remains to be seen, but if they go undefeated, they get a seed. Maybe in other years they wouldn't, but everyone is losing to everyone this year.

I really want to see a big name (Furman?) go to Hampton. Let's throw all this speculation out the window and see what the boys can do.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 04:05 AM
If UMass beats Army and Hofstra... I just dont see how Hampton gets a seed over us... They could be 100-0 and I just couldnt see it.
I don't think that either game is a given. Especially not after Army's performance against Air Force. Just some inside info on Army, their back up running back who really helped take the load of their starter Jones was just discovered to be talented this year. He came as a walk-on and he played as a wide receiver. It was until this year that he broke out and he has had a huge impact, b/c Jones has bore the brunt of the entire running game and they throw sometimes but they are a smashmouth running team so he has been playing injured basically all four years. I don't see UMass winning but congrats if it does happen. After Hostra played so well last week I cant say that I see that as guaranteed win either.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Because 1 you havent played anyone, 2 havent played anyone, and 3 havent played anyone... the only way you will win a playoff game is if you play coastal in round 1 and even that is questionable.
That is such a presumption. If you had beaten UNH you would be seeded if you win out. You didn't, so you can only blame your lack of seed on your loss to UNH, therefore have your team what they can do within their schedule.

umassfan
November 9th, 2005, 04:09 AM
That is such a presumption. If you had beaten UNH you would be seeded if you win out. You didn't, so you can only blame your lack of seed on your loss to UNH, therefore have your team what they can do within their schedule.

And if you played UNH... the game would have been over in the 1st half...

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM
And if you played UNH... the game would have been over in the 1st half...
Once again, its a presumption. You are basing your info off how you view Hampton, how many games have you seen them play? You are presuming you will win against Army, you are presuming you will win against Hofstra.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Once again, its a presumption. You are basing your info off how you view Hampton, how many games have you seen them play? You are presuming you will win against Army, you are presuming you will win against Hofstra.

no, he is presuming you will get your arse handed to you in the first round

gophoenix
November 9th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Of course some have more educated opinions than others and actually follow all of I-AA. Then of course, do something about it.

You know, you don't have to act like that about it. Take your criticism and roll with it.

Whether you look at all aspects of I-AA, or not, you are still just a guy with an opinion. Just like me. And in the end, that really makes no difference either way.

All of this was in say "you said Coastal was in" .... and to be honest, you really do not know.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 07:16 AM
You know, you don't have to act like that about it. Take your criticism and roll with it.

Whether you look at all aspects of I-AA, or not, you are still just a guy with an opinion. Just like me. And in the end, that really makes no difference either way.

All of this was in say "you said Coastal was in" .... and to be honest, you really do not know.

both of you are right, technically we don't know if Coastal is in, but if they don't lose, which they shouldn't, they are in

and what was it the other day u telling me about Hampton Ralph? they weren't in until they clinched, pot calling the kettle black hey buddy ;)

HensRock
November 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM

The very definition of "blind" loyalty.

Or they could host UMass in Round 1 and get the Minuteman coaching staff and fans all worked up and distracted over the perceived injustice of being sent on the road instead of concentrating on preparing for the game....Nah!, that would NEVER work! :rolleyes:

bodoyle
November 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

Tribe4SF
November 9th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I would make Hampton the favorite against Coastal, Eastern Illinois and possibly Lehigh. I'd have them as a dog against the rest of the field.

I think they are headed for a seed, and I'll be at Armstrong to watch them play, and cheer them on. I've seen them play, and I still question whether they have the team speed to be successful in the playoffs. They also lack an effective passing attack, and unless you're GSU, that usually means an early out.

It won't surprise me if GSU is sent to Hampton in the first round. If Richmond gets in, I think they're a lock to play HU. Not sure who I'd root for in that matchup.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM
No, that is just an assumption, a presumption is an assumption based on reasonable evidence. There is reasonable evidence to show that UNH will beat Army and Hofstra and it could be argued based on GPI that UNH would beat Hampton. However, it would be a complete assumption that Hampton will lose in the first round, we don't know who they are playing and they have yet to lose. But thanks AppGuy you always find a way, to disagree with me. :D

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I would make Hampton the favorite against Coastal, Eastern Illinois and possibly Lehigh. I'd have them as a dog against the rest of the field.

I think they are headed for a seed, and I'll be at Armstrong to watch them play, and cheer them on. I've seen them play, and I still question whether they have the team speed to be successful in the playoffs. They also lack an effective passing attack, and unless you're GSU, that usually means an early out.

It won't surprise me if GSU is sent to Hampton in the first round. If Richmond gets in, I think they're a lock to play HU. Not sure who I'd root for in that matchup.
I agree with the comment regarding the passing attack or lack thereof. They are, plain and simple, a running team. However, their team speed is pretty impressive especially their defense, Dixon, Bain, Durant, Bannister just to name a few on their extremely fast, not to mention quick, defense.

# 1 BearBooster
November 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Hampton will make the playoffs and get a seed. If they remain undefeated into the playoffs, I believe they will be under tremendous pressure mentally.
They will need to understand that the playoffs is like a new season - one game at a time. Although I would love to see a Meac School win a NCAA IAA National Football Championship, I am not optimistic about Hampton's chances for going all the way. I say this based on seeing several A-10 Teams play. I don't believe Hampton can match UNH's speed on offense or defense.

I plan to attend the Hampton v. FAMU game this weekend and provide my assessment of their team at this stage of the season.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
No, that is just an assumption, a presumption is an assumption based on reasonable evidence. There is reasonable evidence to show that UNH will beat Army and Hofstra and it could be argued based on GPI that UNH would beat Hampton. However, it would be a complete assumption that Hampton will lose in the first round, we don't know who they are playing and they have yet to lose. But thanks AppGuy you always find a way, to disagree with me. :D

hey, i do what i can

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
If UMass beats Army and Hofstra... I just dont see how Hampton gets a seed over us...
Colgate and New Hampshire. :rolleyes:

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Colgate and New Hampshire. :rolleyes:
Thanks, (he didn't like it when I said that).

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Boy, I hope you guys have some money to go along with all the BS you are spewing.

our BS is much different, its factual, not imaginary

#5 AGS poll
#3 GPI
#1 SOS according to Massey
#2 in Attendance per game
#1 in Attendance Capacity
Current 1st place in Southern Conference(3rd best conference in the nation)
Dominating wins over Coastal Carolina and GSU

Payton award candidate: Richie Williams
Buchanan award candidate: Marques Murrell

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I would rather see Coastal Carolina seeded at 10-1 than Hampton seeded at all. At least CCU has played a couple of tough games and, like Hampton, the Chants won a close game against South Carolina State. Not that I'm saying CCU deserves a seed. Just that they do ahead of Hampton because of a much better strength of schedule. Some of us watch every I-AA game we can get our hands on and trust me, Hampton is not anywhere close to teams like New Hampshire, Appalachian State, Montana and Texas State in terms of talent. The MEAC has some of the weakest talent the conference has had in years this season. There are two decent teams (Hampton and South Carolina State), one mediocre team (Bethune-Cookman) and the rest are just plain awful. Six of the eight SoCon teams would probably win a championship if they played in the MEAC this season. Give the seeds to the teams that have earned them by playing playoff-caliber competition. If Hampton wants a seed, let them work on scheduling decent teams in the non-conference portion of their schedule, instead of Savannah State and Jackson State.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM

If Richmond makes the playoffs, Hampton is almost a sure bet to play the Spiders in the first round. There is no way that the committee would send Georgia Southern to Hampton (by the way, Georgia Southern would kill Hampton with its speed). Georgia Southern will be at home for the first round, because the committee likes the crowds that Paulson Stadium will draw. Same goes for Montana, Appalachian State and maybe even Northern Iowa.

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Texas State... If Hampton wants a seed, let them work on scheduling decent teams in the non-conference portion of their schedule, instead of Savannah State and Jackson State.
or Delta State, Panhandle State and Southern Utah.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
While I have been advocating CCU making the playoffs for most of the season, I think they need some help to get in. And by some help, I mean just one loss by one or two of the at-large contenders. As I see it, the field as of today would be the following:

Auto Bids
UNH
Montana
SIU
Hampton
Lehigh
EIU
Nicholls St.
ASU

At-Large
UMass
Montana St.
UNI
WKU
Cal Poly
Texas St.
Furman
GSU

In my mind, if these teams win out, then I can't figure out which team I'd leave out of the field for CCU. Also, if only one spot opened up, but Richmond won out, would CCU get the nod over Richmond? I'm not sure. I think in order to feel safe, CCU needs two or three of the above teams to get knocked out, which wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Hampton86
November 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
...so since you've seen Hampton play, what is your assessment?
What game did you attend this year, that gives you the assumption that we're not ready for the "BIG BOYS" of Division I-AA?

True, after the conclusion of this season, our Athletic Department should make a move to attract tougher non-conference opponents. I think ALL Hampton fans would say the same thing.

While this has been one of the down years, within the MEAC conference in terms of tougher competition, any team that can come out undefeated (which is still not in stone since we play FAMU this weekend) in their conference you must give some respect.

Every team in Division I-AA started the season with one goal to not get beat. The kids on the field play the game and the athletic administration map out the schedules. Hampton's players have done their job, now it's up to the staff to build tougher schedules. ;)

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Factual, imaginary, completely made up- whatever. Do you have any money, or is your mouth just writing checks that your bank account can't cash?

what exactly is this money for?

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Every team in Division I-AA started the season with one goal to not get beat. The kids on the field play the game and the athletic administration map out the schedules. Hampton's players have done their job, now it's up to the staff to build tougher schedules. ;)

good point, and i agree

putter
November 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I think Hampton gets a seed if undefeated at the end. If UNH, Montana, and SIU all win out then Hampton gets #4 seed because of their SOS

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM

#5 AGS poll
#3 GPI

What does this have to do with Hampton getting its collective arse handed to in the first round?
Quick question, if your attendance capacity is #1 and you are so great, why aren't you #1 in attendance too?

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Because Montana has us by like 1,000 which damn well might change following the WCU game if we can pack 28k+ (30k is not unrealistic) into KBS. For many of our fans, WCU is the REAL homecoming game. We are "so great". Thanks. :rolleyes:
And btw, I have a lot of respect for Hampton as a team if they finish undefeated this year, and if it were up to me I'd toss em a seed. While they've played some pretty crappy competition, it's pretty hard for a team to avoid that one let-down game. If I had to make a prediction, I think Hampton will win big in the first-round (an F-U to all the doubters) but get clobbered in the second by a major team more acclimated to playing tough teams week after week. You know, like App State. :D

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
...but for the love of God do something about that schedule next year...I'd be happy to welcome you to KBS in '06. :D

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well, probably too late for that, meant to say '07 or sometime down the road...

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
...but for the love of God do something about that schedule next year...I'd be happy to welcome you to KBS in '06. :D
Can I quote you on that?

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Yup, though I don't really speak for the ASU Athletic Office :( . I'd be a great game for both teams, and would certainly give ya'll a chance to prove yourselves OOC-wise (that is, assuming that you guys would somehow beat us :eek: ) and would give us an oppurtunity to hype a game against an "undefeated MEAC POWERHOUSE!" :D . How long of a drive would it be for you guys (just add about an hour onto a trip to Charlotte).

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Not sure how much this has come up, but what about the chances of a seeded Hampton team getting CCU in the first round? Everyone seems to think it's a given that they be sent to a SoCon school, but the committee has come up with surprising pairings before and this would certainly be the best case scenario for Hampton.

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I'd be down, though it might mean we'd have to put our burgeoning rivalry with "undefeated BIG SOUTH POWERHOUSE!" CCU on the back-burner because I'm pretty sure we've still got EKU on our schedule for a few. I don't think ya'lls fan are AS obnoxious, though. But thats a heck of a I-AA OOC test.

Bulldog87
November 9th, 2005, 11:17 AM
UMASS,Would you signup for a home and home vs Hampton? JMUand W&M won't. The Citadel won't with SCSU. Somehow SCSU is the only 1-AA school in S.C. that can't get a game with Clemson or Carolina. We have more players than any S.C. school in the NFL HOF so it's not as if we don't have tradition. Play some of these "Lowly undeserving MEAC schools " in a home and home series and backup your SOS arguements head to head on the field.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
What does this have to do with Hampton getting its collective arse handed to in the first round?
Quick question, if your attendance capacity is #1 and you are so great, why aren't you #1 in attendance too?

Hampton getting beat wasn't even part of the conversation at that point, I was defending my teams qualifications

And we aren't #1 in attendance b/c Montana has a larger stadium, and if you haven't noticed, they are a pretty good team as well- we are already at 134% of our stadium capacity, not sure we could fit much more

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM
If you have so much faith that Hampton will get beat in the first round- then put your money where your mouth is.

if you are talking about a wager, then I say no, I don't gamble

besides, we probably won't meet in the playoffs anyways

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Hampton getting beat wasn't even part of the conversation at that point, I was defending my teams qualifications

And we aren't #1 in attendance b/c Montana has a larger stadium, and if you haven't noticed, they are a pretty good team as well- we are already at 134% of our stadium capacity, not sure we could fit much more

Am I the only one who doesn't really understand how you can be at 134% of capacity? Doesn't that just mean that you've understated the capacity? How many people does KBS really have room for?

I'd love to see the press release for an NFL team that said, well, the stadium only seats 55,000, but we had 72,000 today.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't really understand how you can be at 134% of capacity? Doesn't that just mean that you've understated the capacity? How many people does KBS really have room for?

I'd love to see the press release for an NFL team that said, well, the stadium only seats 55,000, but we had 72,000 today.

our stadium is listed at 16,550, but b/c we have a grassy area where people can sit, they don't count that as actual seating, thats where the extra comes from

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Oh, OK!!!! So you're just, as our band plays very well, "Talking Out The Side of Your Neck"! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

sorry, in case you haven't heard, gambling is illegal, and IMHO, wrong

edit: forget it

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM

That was exactly the point, go back and check your facts. I have pasted the following "point in the convo" when you brought it up. Thank you for letting me be right again.
Originally Posted by AppGuy04

Boy, I hope you guys have some money to go along with all the BS you are spewing.

Originally Posted by Shellshock

#5 AGS poll
#3 GPI

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I wasn't questioning your morality- just your "absolute" belief that Hampton will get beat in the first round. The offer of a little wager was to see how SERIOUS you were about your assumption. Obviously, as I said last time, you're "Talking Out The Side of Your Neck". You are not in any way prepared to back up your assumption. Your morality is between you and your God. I have nothing to do with that.

backing up my statement is up to my team, not a wager of money

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
That was exactly the point, go back and check your facts. I have pasted the following "point in the convo" when you brought it up. Thank you for letting me be right again.
Originally Posted by AppGuy04

Originally Posted by Shellshock

#5 AGS poll
#3 GPI

explaining that my "BS" about my team was not BS was not off topic, i was addressing that part of his statement, not the money

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 11:46 AM
our stadium is listed at 16,550, but b/c we have a grassy area where people can sit, they don't count that as actual seating, thats where the extra comes from

So the capacity is really unlimited, then. It doesn't make sense to use the 134% stat because that implies that you're somehow shoehorning people into the stadium.

The better question is, what's the maximum number of tickets that could be sold? What would be considered a sellout?

chantman
November 9th, 2005, 11:46 AM
UMASS,Would you signup for a home and home vs Hampton? JMUand W&M won't. The Citadel won't with SCSU. Somehow SCSU is the only 1-AA school in S.C. that can't get a game with Clemson or Carolina. We have more players than any S.C. school in the NFL HOF so it's not as if we don't have tradition. Play some of these "Lowly undeserving MEAC schools " in a home and home series and backup your SOS arguements head to head on the field.

I never really understood why ElCid would not go to Orangeburg.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM
So the capacity is really unlimited, then. It doesn't make sense to use the 134% stat because that implies that you're somehow shoehorning people into the stadium.

The better question is, what's the maximum number of tickets that could be sold? What would be considered a sellout?

honestly, i don't know what they would consider a sellout, but the capacity is limited, unless u want a mob of pissed off people cause they are stepping all over each other

i think 25,000 would be a fairly good estimate of a sellout

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
explaining that my "BS" about my team was not BS was not off topic, i was addressing that part of his statement, not the money
I am referring back to a statement you made to me awhile back. I was not discussing the money aspect, that is your fun with Shellshock. He said that he hoped you could back up your BS in saying that Hampton would get its arse handed to them. I didn't understand what your facts about your team had to do with Hampton getting THEIR arse handed to them in the playoffs. Unless you are playing Hampton in the first round these two aspects of the discussion are mutually exclusive as Hampton has not played APP ST.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 11:57 AM
THANK YOU!
I do what I can. :rolleyes:

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Dude- READ YOUR OWN POSTS- you have made it quite clear that you don't believe Hampton can beat ANYONE in the playoffs. That was the BS I was speaking of- and those are the statements I suggested YOU back up. YOUR STATEMENTS, NOT YOUR "TEAM'S". ASU probably won't meet us in the first round. Now, in the words of the old heads, PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!!

you are right, I don't believe they will win their 1st round game, unless they play Coastal, and even then, thats an even match

thats an opinion, and other than the GPI, which both of you have made perfectly clear that you could care less about, there is no way to PROVE my opinion, thats why it is just that

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I'd like to say that I will take the action against Hampton in the 1st round. I have no bone to pick and I have been saying for a while that I think they'll get a seed, but I do believe that they will lose. So, I'll take all comers.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
you are right, I don't believe they will win their 1st round game, unless they play Coastal, and even then, thats an even match

thats an opinion, and other than the GPI, which both of you have made perfectly clear that you could care less about, there is no way to PROVE my opinion, thats why it is just that
I never said GPI meant nothing, lets not put words in my mouth. I said that GPI is an indicator of what should be the outcome, and is for the most part correct, but it is also the result of the games played by each team and other teams. You and Shellshock and I can agree that the teams arent field aren't thinking sheesh their GPI is so much higher than mine, they are thinking lets go out and try and beat the other team regardless.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM
...so since you've seen Hampton play, what is your assessment?
What game did you attend this year, that gives you the assumption that we're not ready for the "BIG BOYS" of Division I-AA?

True, after the conclusion of this season, our Athletic Department should make a move to attract tougher non-conference opponents. I think ALL Hampton fans would say the same thing.

While this has been one of the down years, within the MEAC conference in terms of tougher competition, any team that can come out undefeated (which is still not in stone since we play FAMU this weekend) in their conference you must give some respect.

A lot of people saw Hampton play North Carolina A&T on TV and lot of us have been shocked that Hampton hasn't played with more authority against such weaklings. I had credentials for Hampton-Gardner Webb (which would have been my third game of the day), but the length of the Appalachian State-Furman game prevented me from making it there.

When I see a team like Appalachian State play LSU virtually even for three quarters (like I did last Saturday in Baton Rouge), I know that it is a team that can compete with any team in I-AA. Why should Hampton be ranked ahead of a team that has the best schedule, or second best schedule in all of I-AA when that team has only one I-AA loss and Hampton plays the bottom third of I-AA each week? Nearly every team in the top 25 would have gone 11-0 with Hampton's schedule. Until the Pirates do a better job of scheduling, I think the committee would be doing a lot of other teams a disservice by giving the Pirates a seed, or even a home game.

LarryBoy
November 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
It's hilarious to watch this battle of "absolute truths" vs. "BS."

Hampton people, you realize that, because of your rants, IF you lose in the first round, it will be years before anyone on this board takes you seriously.

Anti-Hampton people, you realize that if Hampton wins in the first round, you'll be hearing it from them for years.

This'll be fun.

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Nearly every team in the top 25 would have gone 11-0 with Hampton's schedule.
So that would make them even with Hampton, not necessarily better.

DB_Atlantic10
November 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Some schools may seat 30K, but have open fields or hills around the stadiums that they allow students to sit.....UVA would be a good example....they seat 65K, but can get a few more thousand students on the hill....

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
So that would make them even with Hampton, not necessarily better.
No, that just means Hampton plays a shamelessly bad schedule. Most of those teams in the top 25 would beat the MEAC schools by much larger margins than Hampton has done in my opinion. Until the Pirates win a playoff game, they are going to be suspect in a lot of people's minds.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Hampton people, you realize that, because of your rants, IF you lose in the first round, it will be years before anyone on this board takes you seriously.

Anti-Hampton people, you realize that if Hampton wins in the first round, you'll be hearing it from them for years.

This'll be fun.

amusing ain't it, but i kind of enjoy it

and thats the chance we take for going out on a limb

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Some schools may seat 30K, but have open fields or hills around the stadiums that they allow students to sit.....UVA would be a good example....they seat 65K, but can get a few more thousand students on the hill....

Rigth, which is why the "capacity" listed for such schools should never be limited to the number of seats. Frankly, stadiums that have such grassy seating areas should not be able to use such a number, unless delineated as "seating capacity" with an additional estimate for the other areas. It would make it much more equitable versus stadiums that have additional demand but no place to accomodate.

I don't know why I'm arguing this, just that the idea of exceeding "capacity", which by definition is the amount capable of being held, by 35% is absurd.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
No, that just means Hampton plays a shamelessly bad schedule. Most of those teams in the top 25 would beat the MEAC schools by much larger margins than Hampton has done in my opinion. Until the Pirates win a playoff game, they are going to be suspect in a lot of people's minds.
"Shamelessly bad?"

They are still suspect in mind b/c they haven't won a playoff game. But they haven't lost yet either. If it is all about the teams people play then why are teams losing to lower ranked teams, especially if the GPI is so holy. Why did UNH lose to W&M? I am sure they are far superior. Why did UMass lose to Colgate? Who will argue that Colgate is better? It is easy to slip up and lose a game. It is difficult to maintain the pressure of a win streak. I agree that many teams may go undefeated with our schedule but why don't they just go undefeated with their own?

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM

From TheSabre.com (A website covering UVA athletics)

"With the addition of the south bowl's upper deck and expansion of the northeast and northwest sides of the stadium, the seating capacity has soared to 61,500. That figure includes seating for approximately 5,000 on the north end hillside"

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Rigth, which is why the "capacity" listed for such schools should never be limited to the number of seats. Frankly, stadiums that have such grassy seating areas should not be able to use such a number, unless delineated as "seating capacity" with an additional estimate for the other areas. It would make it much more equitable versus stadiums that have additional demand but no place to accomodate.

I don't know why I'm arguing this, just that the idea of exceeding "capacity", which by definition is the amount capable of being held, by 35% is absurd.
Why is this so hard to understand? Kidd Brewer Stadium has 16,650 seats. Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware and other schools often sell SRO, or general admission seating in addition to the number of seats they have. Capacity is seats, period.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I agree that many teams may go undefeated with our schedule but why don't they just go undefeated with their own?

Because it's a heck of a lot harder to do that when you are playing better teams on a consistent basis. As a mathematically inclined person, I'm sure you know that.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Because it's a heck of a lot harder to do that when you are playing better teams on a consistent basis. As a mathematically inclined person, I'm sure you know that.
Ah yes, but if UNH is so far superior to Hampton, then they should be so far superior to W&M that they don't lose to them. We are going on the presupposition that all these teams are so much better than Hampton and would beat the teams they play by a far greater margin.

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I agree that if HU doesn't win a playoff game, they will be suspect in a lot of people's minds, but there is no way you can claim other teams to be superior to Hampton based on Hampton's schedule. You can only hypothesize that they might have the same result... 9-0.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM

if its a wide open grassy area like Kidd Brewer is, it is extremely difficult to estimate how many people could fit in this area, thats why it is not included

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM
At least you have some grapefruits, TT! I'll PM you with details later.
If they are the size of grapefruits you should get that checked out, elephantiasis is very serious. :eek: :eek: :p

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM
if its a wide open grassy area like Kidd Brewer is, it is extremely difficult to estimate how many people could fit in this area, thats why it is not included
Not really too difficult as folks still need tickets to get in.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Not really too difficult as folks still need tickets to get in.

sure, you could "guesstimate" but thats not real official

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Neither is the number schools give to the NCAA for playoff games. :p

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM

It's not official, but it gives a much truer picture of the amount of people that the facility can hold.

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
It's not official, but it gives a much truer picture of the amount of people that the facility can hold.
Wow, and I thought I was arguing the minutia, but this takes the cake.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Why is this so hard to understand? Kidd Brewer Stadium has 16,650 seats. Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware and other schools often sell SRO, or general admission seating in addition to the number of seats they have. Capacity is seats, period.

Capacity is not seats, period. Most stadiums are fixed structures and have limited seating in and around the facility, maybe with some additional standing room numbering in the hundreds. In those instances, the permanent seating is a fine approximation of capacity. However, if the facility has the ability to hold an additional 5-7,000 people, it's a joke to list the capacity as merely the permanent seating. Capacity should be the number of fans that can realistically attend the event.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Capacity is not seats, period. Most stadiums are fixed structures and have limited seating in and around the facility, maybe with some additional standing room numbering in the hundreds. In those instances, the permanent seating is a fine approximation of capacity. However, if the facility has the ability to hold an additional 5-7,000 people, it's a joke to list the capacity as merely the permanent seating. Capacity should be the number of fans that can realistically attend the event.

i really don't care about the percentage of capacity, long as we get the 20,000 we have been getting, i could care less that they KBS only holds 16,650

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM
i really don't care about the percentage of capacity, long as we get the 20,000 we have been getting, i could care less that they KBS only holds 16,650

I think all of the ASU family should be proud of the attendance that you guys get at KBS and I have no bone to pick with anyone. Any chance of 150% of capacity against WCU this weekend?

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I think all of the ASU family should be proud of the attendance that you guys get at KBS and I have no bone to pick with anyone. Any chance of 150% of capacity against WCU this weekend?

well, that would push the max of 25K, I would like to see it, but I imagine it wouldn't be a very pleasant experience to watch the game, it would be too cramped

Jaques
November 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Wow...10 pages and CCU has gotten this far virtually unscathed. I'm impressed. Honestly I think CCU's chances are slim, because 10-1 means nothing when the choices are solely political. Why would this year be any different form others as fa as letting a big south team in?

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Wow...10 pages and CCU has gotten this far virtually unscathed. I'm impressed. Honestly I think CCU's chances are slim, because 10-1 means nothing when the choices are solely political. Why would this year be any different form others as fa as letting a big south team in?

Don't play the victim card. CCU's chances are legitimate this year and being ranked in the top 10 in 2 polls is a huge help, but they are by no means in at this point. A couple of losses from some at-large candidates would really help them, but that win over SCSU is a huge advantage for them at this point considering SCSU is in the mix as well.

Jaques
November 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
you're right....i just don't like all the power handed over to the AD's of the automatic bids. I know there some criteria to follow, but nothing concrete.
my fingers are glued cross for the next 2 weeks. ;)

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
you're right....i just don't like all the power handed over to the AD's of the automatic bids. I know there some criteria to follow, but nothing concrete.
my fingers are glued cross for the next 2 weeks. ;)

Just hope EWU beats Mont St and SIU beats UNI this weekend and everything should fall into place for the Chants.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Just hope EWU beats Mont St and SIU beats UNI this weekend and everything should fall into place for the Chants.

now come on, has anything been that simple this year?

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 02:56 PM
now come on, has anything been that simple this year?

No, but's a much more likely scenario than ASU losing to WCU and Elon and GSU losing to Morehead.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
No, but's a much more likely scenario than ASU losing to WCU and Elon and GSU losing to Morehead.

true, but asu losing hurts the Chants doesn't it?

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM
true, but asu losing hurts the Chants doesn't it?

Not if they lost both games and were no longer eligible. Then there would be another at-large spot open for CCU.

JALMOND
November 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Not if they lost both games and were no longer eligible. Then there would be another at-large spot open for CCU.

If App St were not to make the field, I can't see Coastal getting in regardless of the record. App State and JMU both not making it would mean that Coastal would not have played anyone in the playoff field this year. If you try to use the arguement that Coastal should get in at 10-1, but did not play anyone who is in the playoffs, San Diego should be able to use the same arguement. Not to mention the obvious fact of Coastal losing 30-3 to a non-playoff team in that case.

I will quote Jim Rome "It's time to vote for the better team, not the team with the better record" (Rome is Burning, ESPN 11-9-05).

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
If App St were not to make the field, I can't see Coastal getting in regardless of the record. App State and JMU both not making it would mean that Coastal would not have played anyone in the playoff field this year. If you try to use the arguement that Coastal should get in at 10-1, but did not play anyone who is in the playoffs, San Diego should be able to use the same arguement. Not to mention the obvious fact of Coastal losing 30-3 to a non-playoff team in that case.

I will quote Jim Rome "It's time to vote for the better team, not the team with the better record" (Rome is Burning, ESPN 11-9-05).

Well, if CCU doesn't get in, then SCSU doesn't get in either. So who would? Because once you get past that, you're looking at a 3-loss Colgate team or a 4-loss Ill St or W&M.

If spots are open, CCU will get one.

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Now let me get this straight. If ASU loses to WCU and Elon (which they won't), end up 6-5, Coastal shouldn't go because they didn't play anyone that made the playoffs?

Is this what you are stating?

Jaques
November 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Which means our whole season was a waste... :bang:

rokamortis
November 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I don't buy that doom and gloom either. If ASU loses it will affect them a whole lot more than it will us.

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I don't buy that doom and gloom either. If ASU loses it will affect them a whole lot more than it will us.

To say the least...and btw, if you heard I-AA Waves last night, it sounds like the playoff committee should let you guys in regardless...when ralph asked em about what they're looking for they said something akin to "Wins...wins...and...wins." IMHO, that'd be music to my ears if I was a CCU fan...

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 08:00 PM
To say the least...and btw, if you heard I-AA Waves last night, it sounds like the playoff committee should let you guys in regardless...when ralph asked em about what they're looking for they said something akin to "Wins...wins...and...wins." IMHO, that'd be music to my ears if I was a CCU fan...

Kep-

I knew it was the Sex Pistols, couldn't come up with the song...I'm gunning for ya next week! :D

Yeah, Ralph said Coastal was IN (should we win remaining games), I about choked on my soda. So, I asked him again, and he did mention the playoff committee looks at "Wins Wins Wins".

I still didn't believe it, called Rok and he confirmed what Ralph mentioned.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 08:41 PM
"Shamelessly bad?"

They are still suspect in mind b/c they haven't won a playoff game. But they haven't lost yet either. If it is all about the teams people play then why are teams losing to lower ranked teams, especially if the GPI is so holy. Why did UNH lose to W&M? I am sure they are far superior. Why did UMass lose to Colgate? Who will argue that Colgate is better? It is easy to slip up and lose a game. It is difficult to maintain the pressure of a win streak. I agree that many teams may go undefeated with our schedule but why don't they just go undefeated with their own?
They are suspect because they have underperformed against a schedule ranked 90th in I-AA. By under-performed, I mean that they should have beaten most of those teams by lopsided scores. Instead they have had a number of games that are much closer than they should have been. Funny you would bring up UNH losing to William & Mary. Didn't Hampton lose to William & Mary in the playoffs last year? Good teams lose because they are challenging themselves against good teams, not against Savannah State. William & Mary is better than any team in the MEAC, as is almost every team in the A-10 and most other power conferences. If Hampton wants to earn respect, do two things. Toughen up the schedule and win some games in the playoffs.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I agree that if HU doesn't win a playoff game, they will be suspect in a lot of people's minds, but there is no way you can claim other teams to be superior to Hampton based on Hampton's schedule. You can only hypothesize that they might have the same result... 9-0.
Your arguments are so frustratingly maddening. I am not claiming other teams are better because Hampton is playing a bad schedule. I am judging them purely on talent (I think I do know something about analyzing talent after nearly 30 years working professionally around college athletics). If they were more talented than maybe they would be putting away the poor talent that they are competing against week-in and week-out. Hampton has some good players, but they will struggle against speed teams (can you say Southern Conference) and they will also struggle against teams with more athletic line play (can you say A-10). Better defenses will find a way to shut down most one-dimensional offenses. Hampton's lack of a passing attack will make it difficult to beat most playoff teams and it will be interesting to see how Hampton's secondary will hold up against a really good passing attack like they would see from the likes of Appalachian State, New Hampshire, or Furman. You might call it hypothesis, I call it evaluating talent.

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Kep-

I knew it was the Sex Pistols, couldn't come up with the song...I'm gunning for ya next week! :D

Yeah, Ralph said Coastal was IN (should we win remaining games), I about choked on my soda. So, I asked him again, and he did mention the playoff committee looks at "Wins Wins Wins".

I still didn't believe it, called Rok and he confirmed what Ralph mentioned.

It's their biggest song! :D . Anyways, good luck next week but I warn you: as a former DJ and very fast typer, I won't go down without a fight (unlike...well, I won't go there ;) )

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Your arguments are so frustratingly maddening. I am not claiming other teams are better because Hampton is playing a bad schedule. I am judging them purely on talent (I think I do know something about analyzing talent after nearly 30 years working professionally around college athletics). If they were more talented than maybe they would be putting away the poor talent that they are competing against week-in and week-out. Hampton has some good players, but they will struggle against speed teams (can you say Southern Conference) and they will also struggle against teams with more athletic line play (can you say A-10). Better defenses will find a way to shut down most one-dimensional offenses. Hampton's lack of a passing attack will make it difficult to beat most playoff teams and it will be interesting to see how Hampton's secondary will hold up against a really good passing attack like they would see from the likes of Appalachian State, New Hampshire, or Furman. You might call it hypothesis, I call it evaluating talent.

see: ASU 24 GSU7

GSU passed the ball 5 times the whole game

Hamptongal
November 9th, 2005, 11:39 PM
They are suspect because they have underperformed against a schedule ranked 90th in I-AA. By under-performed, I mean that they should have beaten most of those teams by lopsided scores. Instead they have had a number of games that are much closer than they should have been. Funny you would bring up UNH losing to William & Mary. Didn't Hampton lose to William & Mary in the playoffs last year? Good teams lose because they are challenging themselves against good teams, not against Savannah State. William & Mary is better than any team in the MEAC, as is almost every team in the A-10 and most other power conferences. If Hampton wants to earn respect, do two things. Toughen up the schedule and win some games in the playoffs.
Hampton lost a close 42-35 game against a team that had a much better schedule and Lang Campbell at QB. W&M is not the same team this year. UNH got smashed 42-10 by W&M. So please don't even bring that into the equation. If you have read what I said on other posts they are indeed trying to toughen their schedule. In 2004, after W. ILL was really good in 2003 they scheduled them and surprised them by winning 40-20. They tried to get JMU on their schedule this year, last time we played them in 2002 at JMU and beat them, this year we wanted to play them at home but they refused because they wanted 6 home games, but we only had 4 home games. So, I completely agree that they need to play against tougher OOC teams but it will take growth as a conference to gain more respect. I said that I agreed they were suspect until the won in the playoffs. I was saying that shamelessly bad is an oxymoron, you really meant shamefully bad. Shameless would indicate their was no shame in their lack of skill and talent.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I can promise you this, that you will see big things from Bain, Bannister and Whitehurst regardless of who they are playing. When I was talking to Jerome Mathis this year he said that it wasn't that the MEAC conference was even slower than the NFL (let alone the speedy Southern Conference), it was the lack of coaching and a missing skill set. It isn't all about speed, it's also about jamming up the receiver so they can't get out on their route. And remember this is coming from the fastest person in football today. Bain is transfer from Miami, Whitehurst is a transfer from Marshall and Bannister led the 1AA last year in pass breakups (yeah I know the MEAC is not that great, I get it). However you will see that these guys are fast and our secondary will have no problems covering a team like UNH who is pass heavy, but I rarely see people talking about how they are going to get beat because they are one dimensional. They have app. 2700 passing yards and UNH's top two RBs only have 724 yards between them. Tougher conference, yes I am aware but can't their lack of a strong running game be just as detrimental for them? I would just like to hear what everybody has to say about that, not trying to be controversial, just interested in other's opinions.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 03:47 AM
We all know that the only reason Hampton in the playoffs was within two touchdowns of W&M last year until the waning seconds was Jerome Mathis, that's just fact. He's a talent that sparked the team. You think that Hampton would not have a problem covering UNH's passing offense? Every team in I-AA would have a problem with that O unless you are playing in a driving rain. C'mon now...

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
.. Hampton............. 9 2060 1150 598 3210 5.4 34 356.7
.. New Hampshire....... 9 1329 2748 651 4077 6.3 43 453.0

I didn't argue with the fact that they are a great offense, however Hofstra played them close and they did get beaten by W&M. Secondly, you are correct about Jerome Mathis in that he was a talented spark. But counterpoint to what you said about the only reason Hampton was in the game, they played the same teams this year that they played last year with a few exceptions and have beaten them in a similar fashion, just look at Gardner Webb, Morgan State, Bethune Cookman for examples. Sure you can point to the SCSU game last year but that was hardly a result of Mathis, it was a result of four defensive scores and 166 yards by one of their running backs. Good teams can fill the holes in their offense created by great players. Other players simply have to step up to the plate. And no to be honest, I don't think Hampton's secondary will struggle against their passing game. That's just my opinion based on what I have seen out of these two teams. I have actually only seen 1 and a little bit of another game from UNH, plus what I saw last year in the playoffs. I think I'm still allowed to go against the party line, right?

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Hofstra almost beat UNH though they did not contain the pass game. Not many teams could contain either team on the pass. No team can fill the hole like that left by Mathis at Hampton. I have seen both Hampton and UNH multiple times this year and while Hampton would run on UNH there is no way UNH would not be able to execute their passing game on Hampton IMO. They do it on everyone when the rain is not pouring like the last two years vs. W&M. Of course you are allowed your opinion and I have mine too.
If they haven't all improved to fill the hole, then why are they beating teams by equal or greater margins? I am not just talking about offense, I am talking about a much better defense, as well as an improved offense-running-wise. I think many people have agreed with my point that while nobody can take the place of Jerome Mathis, (it's a Jerome thaaaaaaaang) a team can improve enough without a star player to become a better overall unit. By the way do you ever sleep?

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 04:13 AM
They do it on everyone when the rain is not pouring like the last two years vs. W&M. Of course you are allowed your opinion and I have mine too.
ps I am going to pray for rain if we ever play UNH. ;) ;)

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Well, maybe the level of competition has lessened but of course a team can improve in other areas to mask a great player leaving. I sleep at times. :)
Wow, that's a really pessimistic view, that every single team Hampton played got worse?

Tribe4SF
November 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Wow, that's a really pessimistic view, that every single team Hampton played got worse?

I'd say the only exception might be Delaware State. Having seen at least some of several MEAC teams this year, I agree with Dave Coulson that the MEAC is very weak this year.

What Hampton has going for it is Joe Taylor. His gameplan for the W&M game last year was masterful. He seems to understand where his team may be at a disadvantage, and has the ability to maximize his assets.

The problem for Hampton in facing playoff level defenses will be their lack of passing. Good defenses will be able to limit Hampton's ground game (as W&M was able to do last year with a mediocre defense).

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I'd say the only exception might be Delaware State. Having seen at least some of several MEAC teams this year, I agree with Dave Coulson that the MEAC is very weak this year.

What Hampton has going for it is Joe Taylor. His gameplan for the W&M game last year was masterful. He seems to understand where his team may be at a disadvantage, and has the ability to maximize his assets.

The problem for Hampton in facing playoff level defenses will be their lack of passing. Good defenses will be able to limit Hampton's ground game (as W&M was able to do last year with a mediocre defense).

A little inside info, both of the running backs were playing hurt, one had a high ankle sprain and the other one was just busted up all over. If they had been able to use them more successfully they could have eaten away more clock time. I think some of the choices that the OC (not Joe Taylor made) were not the best choices, however they used Jerome Mathis as much as they could be he scored so quickly it didn't eat up the game clock and allowed William and Mary to come back after the first quarter from a stunning 13-0 jump by Hampton.

You think the MEAC was better last year, or do you really think people are paying more attention b/c Hampton is undefeated right now?

BTW, MR C you will be proud to know that your assessment was so respected by one of the players on the Hampton team that he posted it in the locker room.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:12 AM
BTW, MR C you will be proud to know that your assessment was so respected by one of the players on the Hampton team that he posted it in the locker room.

if they have time to concern themselves with this website or anything on it, then thats not a good sign IMO

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
if they have time to concern themselves with this website or anything on it, then thats not a good sign IMO
how do you think he knew about it????? How do you think he knew about it if I know about it. I sent it to him.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM
how do you think he knew about it????? How do you think he knew about it if I know about it. I sent it to him.

still pretty sad that the words of a fan are considered "locker room motivation"

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
still pretty sad that the words of a fan are considered "locker room motivation"
It's not about who it is, it is about what is said, he liked the wording of it. Go back and look what MR C wrote about them being one-dimensional. He didn't know who it came from, he just really thought it was a great reminder to an undefeated team that as they go into the play-offs they will be facing much stiffer teams and that they will have to up their game in order to prove something. He had no idea what site it was from or who said it. I didn't tell him that, I just forwarded the words to him, and I asked him what he thought of the assessment. He appreciated the wording of it so much that he posted it. Nothing to do with with the who, where or when, it was what the message was that he was looking for convey.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Well, I will make sure that I keep that in mind.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:30 AM
It's not about who it is, it is about what is said, he liked the wording of it. Go back and look what MR C wrote about them being one-dimensional. He didn't know who it came from, he just really thought it was a great reminder to an undefeated team that as they go into the play-offs they will be facing much stiffer teams and that they will have to up their game in order to prove something. He had no idea what site it was from or who said it. I didn't tell him that, I just forwarded the words to him, and I asked him what he thought of the assessment. He appreciated the wording of it so much that he posted it. Nothing to do with with the who, where or when, it was what the message was that he was looking for convey.

was Mr C making it up? I think not

Hampton86
November 10th, 2005, 08:33 AM

What an idiotic comment. I'm sure they're messages, letters, faxes, newspaper articles posted in EVERY locker room across the country.
Understand that what's being said by Non-Hampton fans are not secrets.

ANYONE can find the comments and ANYONE can interpret them as either ridiculous, uninformed or enlightening.

So what if there are some messages posted on the locker room wall. Just be fortunate that your name, address and phone numbers are NOT on them as well. :spank:

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
was Mr C making it up? I think not
No, that's why he wanted to post it. To remind each and every player that they have to step up their game. He liked the wording of it for the billionth time. That's why he posted it.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
What an idiotic comment. I'm sure they're messages, letters, faxes, newspaper articles posted in EVERY locker room across the country.

ANYONE can find the comments and ANYONE can interpret them as either ridiculous, uninformed or enlightening.

So what if there are some messages posted on the locker room wall. Just be fortunate that your name, address and phone numbers are NOT on them as well. :spank:

considering that MOST fans aren't educated about much more than their team, that would be the last thing I would give a look at, much less, the respect of posting it in the locker room

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
This is what he appreciated. Just a reminder at how tough it was going to be in the play-offs.

Hampton86
November 10th, 2005, 08:44 AM
considering that MOST fans aren't educated about much more than their team, that would be the last thing I would give a look at, much less, the respect of posting it in the locker room

I played through college and it didn't matter where the information came from. As a player, you hear it from the students and fans of rival schools on the streets, in the media and friends.

It's something you can't control until you get on the field. You're right, what I've read on this site, there are alot of folks who claim to know everything about EVERYONE.

Yeah, you say it would be the last thing you look at in the locker room, but if you've ever played the game, you can EASILY get soaked with the hype, excitement and criticism of your school.

It happens between UNC-NCSU, Hampton-Norfolk St. W&M-Richmond, USC-UCLA, South Carolina-Clemson, Miami-Florida State.

Tell ME that Hampton's locker room is the only place where this happens and I'll go to an APP ST. game with a Hampton sweater on, praising your football knowledge at the top of my lungs... :nod:

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I think the words were from Coulson.
Regardless of who they were from it was the words he appreciated. A black and white reminder that they need to win in the playoffs to gain some respect. You know there are players that are resting on their laurels of being undefeated in the MEAC. THAT WILL GET THEM NOWHERE. Other players understand this and have been trying to get it across, and he felt this stated it well. I should have just PMd MR C. Maybe then APPGuy wouldn't have been able to jump on this comment too.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I think the words were from Coulson.

Mr C is Coulson, the columnist? I did not know that

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I hope Hampton performs well in the playoffs. Last year was so much Mathis that it may have overshadowed the rest. This year the performances have been so uneven that it is hard to gauge. The AGS Poll had Hampton No. 22 preseason I-AA. The I-AA mag has Prince on the back cover, Hampton is named No. 1 in the MEAC, Prince is named MEAC O POTY, Durant is named MEAC D POTY, Golightly is named MEAC OL POTY (with a nice pic), Durant has an interview, Littlejohn has a nice pic, and Coulson wrote that Hampton might "move into the top 10 nationally."
P wasn't the MEAC O player of the year. Alonzo was (one of the RBs).

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
P wasn't the MEAC O player of the year. Alonzo was (one of the RBs).

i think he is referring this this years preseason

correct me if i'm wrong

chantster
November 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Well, Georgia Southern is a "one dimensional" team and they are SIX TIME NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

I hate teams being labeled.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Well, Georgia Southern is a "one dimensional" team and they are SIX TIME NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

I hate teams being labeled.

good defenses will take advantage, see App game, 24-7

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
That's right, I said I-AA mag which is preseason.
The Pirates received 16 of 18 first place votes in the media poll, with the remaining two votes going to the Bulldogs of South Carolina State. Bethune-Cookman was predicted to place third.

Junior running back Alonzo Coleman (South Boston, Va.) was named the Preseason Offensive Player of the Year for the second straight season to lead a conference-best six Pirates on the offensive side of the ball. Joining Coleman on the first team were senior quarterback Princeton Shepherd (Columbia, S.C.), senior guard Gerell Golightly (Lancaster, Texas), senior punt returner Marquay McDaniel (Virginia Beach, Va.) and junior placekicker Andrew Paterini (Gladstone, Mo.). Senior running back Ardell Daniels (Sarasota, Fla.) was the sole second team member for Hampton.

The 2004 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year, linebacker Justin Durant (Florence, S.C.), was again tabbed to walk away with the league’s top defensive honor in 2005. Durant led a group of six Pirates who earned preseason defensive selections. Among them were senior defensive end Micah Littlejohn (Hampton, Va.), sophomore tackle Kendall Langford (Petersburg, Va.) and senior punter Cameron Muro (Newport News, Va.) on the first team. Senior linebacker Rudolph Foye (Newport News, Va.) and sophomore tackle Marcus Dixon (Rome, Ga.) were selected to the second team.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
You are talking the MEAC preseason league honors (which BTW I-AA.org voted in). I am talking preseason national I-AA honors that are in the I-AA.org Magazine 2005 Fall Preview pages 64-70.
My bad. I sowwy.

Tealblood
November 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Interesting Ralph it is doubtful that Coastal players that were named preseason POTY ( Off & Def ) may not be the yearend winners. The POTY yearend winners will prolly be from Coastal just not the same ones with the exception of Hoke(I assume he was kicker or specialist of the year).

Tribe4SF
November 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM
A little inside info, both of the running backs were playing hurt, one had a high ankle sprain and the other one was just busted up all over. .

I was beginning to develop some real respect for your posts, until this.

First, everyone is banged up by the time the playoffs roll around. Second, I was there and saw the effort and the performance.

The week before the W&M game, Coleman and Daniels carried a combined 39 times (right on their season average), for 311 yards. Coleman had 120 and Daniels 191. So I guess they got banged up and suffered sprains during the weeks' practice, or was Taylor stupid enough to overwork his stars in a huge blowout over Savannah St.? :confused:

GaSouthern
November 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I say costal makes it to the playoffs, two great weak opponent seasons should deserve something, cause noone cares about the big south champ. I hope hampton does not get seeded high though, they dont deserve it.

eaglesrthe1
November 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Better hope it pours, ask Georgia Southern from last year's playoffs... seems it was not heavy enough...

GSU would have preferred it to be dry, I can assure you.

eaglesrthe1
November 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
good defenses will take advantage, see App game, 24-7

The same two teams with the same two offenses played last year also. What was the score in that one? If it just boiled down to one-dimensional, then GSU would have a losing season every year. If you can't execute your game plan and the other team can, chances are you're going to lose. Doesn't really matter whether it's through the air, or on the ground.

I hope that Hampton does well.

At the same time that Mr.C. is demonstrating how his knowledge of all things IAA should give his opinion so much more weight than anyone else, I can't stop thinking about where Harvard was getting that lone #1 vote this year.

Several years back I remember how much respect that the Patriot representative got in the playoffs (none), and learned that you can't discount ANY team in the playoffs. Seems that some people never will learn.

The Gadfly
November 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM
We haven't earned the W @ Chuck South yet. They beat the living crap out of Gardner-Webb in their house. I'm not counting my chanticleers before they hatch.

txstatebobcat
November 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Texas State... If Hampton wants a seed, let them work on scheduling decent teams in the non-conference portion of their schedule, instead of Savannah State and Jackson State.

or Delta State, Panhandle State and Southern Utah.

Yeah, but we have Texas A&M, McNeese St, Northwestern St, Nicholls S, South Dakota St on the schedule as well.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C

Yeah, but we have Texas A&M, McNeese St, Northwestern St, Nicholls S, South Dakota St on the schedule as well.

Glad you pointed that out. I had intended to post that info, myself. I know how good Texas State is after seeing them battle Appalachian State before losing 41-34 at Kidd Brewer Stadium last year. The Bobcats are even better this season. I was very impressed with their game at Texas A&M.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I was beginning to develop some real respect for your posts, until this.

First, everyone is banged up by the time the playoffs roll around. Second, I was there and saw the effort and the performance.

The week before the W&M game, Coleman and Daniels carried a combined 39 times (right on their season average), for 311 yards. Coleman had 120 and Daniels 191. So I guess they got banged up and suffered sprains during the weeks' practice, or was Taylor stupid enough to overwork his stars in a huge blowout over Savannah St.? :confused:
I wish you could have seen that game. I was at the Savannah State game. It was a walk in the park, and neither of them got injured until the beginning of the game against W&M. I could further discuss the injuries but I know a little bit more about it than most so I just thought I would leave it at that. Was their average at the W&M game the same as it usually was??? NO, Daniels only carried 11 times because he could barely walk, let alone run. Daniels sprained his ankle (high ankle sprain in the third play of the game) and Coleman had a concussion. I am sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up if I didn't want to get in to details.

Tribe4SF
November 10th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I wish you could have seen that game. I was at the Savannah State game. It was a walk in the park, and neither of them got injured until the beginning of the game against W&M. I could further discuss the injuries but I know a little bit more about it than most so I just thought I would leave it at that. Was their average at the W&M game the same as it usually was??? NO, Daniels only carried 11 times because he could barely walk, let alone run. Daniels sprained his ankle (high ankle sprain in the third play of the game) and Coleman had a concussion. I am sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up if I didn't want to get in to details.

For a guy who could barely walk, Daniels had a 17 yard run for a first down in the fourth quarter, and I don't recall him limping as he picked up those yards. They were both still carrying the ball in the fourth. Does Hampton normally let players who've suffered a concussion go back on the field?

Hampton intercepted a pass at the W&M 30 with 5:59 to go in the game and W&M up by 7. Coleman rushed once for 5 yards, and Daniels rushed twice for 1 yard. Shepherd was then sacked for a loss of 16 on 4th down. W&M then ran the ball 4 times for 60 yards and the clinching TD.

Odd that Taylor would turn to two severally hampered players in such a key situation. :rolleyes:

You were right, you shouldn't have brought it up.

By the way, the third play of the game was an incomplete pass to Marquay McDaniel. Hampton then punted. They had the ball back a minute and 27 seconds later, and after a long completion to Mathis, Daniels rushed twice from the W&M 6 for a TD....high ankle sprain and all.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
For a guy who could barely walk, Daniels had a 17 yard run for a first down in the fourth quarter, and I don't recall him limping as he picked up those yards. They were both still carrying the ball in the fourth. Does Hampton normally let players who've suffered a concussion go back on the field?

Hampton intercepted a pass at the W&M 30 with 5:59 to go in the game and W&M up by 7. Coleman rushed once for 5 yards, and Daniels rushed twice for 1 yard. Shepherd was then sacked for a loss of 16 on 4th down. W&M then ran the ball 4 times for 60 yards and the clinching TD.

Odd that Taylor would turn to two severally hampered players in such a key situation. :rolleyes:

By the way, the third play of the game was an incomplete pass to Marquay McDaniel. Hampton then punted. They had the ball back a minute and 27 seconds later, and after a long completion to Mathis, Daniels rushed twice from the W&M 6 for a TD....high ankle sprain and all.
That's the play that I am talking about that he got the high anke sprain on. When he ran into the end zone, the whole pile fell on his leg and he sprained it. I should have said the fourth play of the second drive. Excuse me for guestimating. I was at the game too, I could go back and do the run down of every play. The fact is that they ran 25 times between both of them which is far lower than their season average. What could possibly be the reason for that? Suddenly they don't these two players anymore for the fun of it? Oh ok.

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 11:56 PM

By the way Taylor isn't the offensive coordinator, Coach Kaiss is and he made a lot of mistakes during that game, remember the toss play when it was third and short?

Mr. C
November 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
The same two teams with the same two offenses played last year also. What was the score in that one? If it just boiled down to one-dimensional, then GSU would have a losing season every year. If you can't execute your game plan and the other team can, chances are you're going to lose. Doesn't really matter whether it's through the air, or on the ground.

I hope that Hampton does well.

At the same time that Mr.C. is demonstrating how his knowledge of all things IAA should give his opinion so much more weight than anyone else, I can't stop thinking about where Harvard was getting that lone #1 vote this year.

Several years back I remember how much respect that the Patriot representative got in the playoffs (none), and learned that you can't discount ANY team in the playoffs. Seems that some people never will learn.
Were you aware that Harvard had been decimated by injuries this year? Clifton Dawson has been playing hurt since about the second week of the season and they also had their receiving corps about wiped out, including Corey Mazza. The reason Harvard under-performed was because of injuries. Quit with the smack and maybe you might learn something. Do you have any insight on how good Hampton is? Didn't think so. And I doubt you were one of the flag wavers for Colgate and the Patriot League two years ago. Hindsight is 20-20.

eaglesrthe1
November 11th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Quit with the smack and maybe you might learn something.

And I'm sure that you are the fellow to teach me, being the guru and all.

A bet. Both of us will take the playoff field and predict the victors, all the way through the NC game. The person who gets the fewest, won't post on this website anymore. I'm not talking about any stories you might write for I-AA.org, just the message boards.

A chance to really put your knowledge where your mouth is.

Surely someone with 30 years of experience at evaluating I-AA talent should just jump at the chance to flex your analytical superiority.

November 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
And I'm sure that you are the fellow to teach me...Well, did you know that Harvard was so beat up or not?

Before injuries:
Sat 9/17/2005 Harvard at Holy Cross Harvard 31-21
Sat 9/24/2005 Brown at Harvard 2OT Harvard 38-35

After injuries:
Sat 10/1/2005 Lehigh at Harvard Lehigh 49-24
Sat 10/8/2005 Harvard at Cornell Cornell 27-13
Sat 10/15/2005 Harvard at Lafayette Harvard 24-17
Sat 10/22/2005 Princeton at Harvard Princeton 27-24
Sat 10/29/2005 Dartmouth at Harvard Harvard 42-14
Sat 11/5/2005 Harvard at Columbia Harvard 55-7

No one is going to stop posting here because of silly pick'em challenges... that's rolling-the-dice lucky stuff.

I appreciate that a respected longtime columnist would even post here and be so upfront about it, there are many here who are not. Don't chase them off with sophomoric challenges.

eaglesrthe1
November 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Well, did you know that Harvard was so beat up or not?

Before injuries:
Sat 9/17/2005 Harvard at Holy Cross Harvard 31-21
Sat 9/24/2005 Brown at Harvard 2OT Harvard 38-35

After injuries:
Sat 10/1/2005 Lehigh at Harvard Lehigh 49-24
Sat 10/8/2005 Harvard at Cornell Cornell 27-13
Sat 10/15/2005 Harvard at Lafayette Harvard 24-17
Sat 10/22/2005 Princeton at Harvard Princeton 27-24
Sat 10/29/2005 Dartmouth at Harvard Harvard 42-14
Sat 11/5/2005 Harvard at Columbia Harvard 55-7

I did not, nor do not know about Harvards injuries. It's pretty much irrelevant. Why isn't a particular team #1? Could be due to injuries, suspensions, coaching, academic casualties,...etc. There are reasons for each team that isn't, and using that 20/20 hindsight that C is talking about, he comes up with one for Harvard. I suppose if it wasn't for injuries, Harvard would be undefeated, for sure. :rolleyes: Who knows?

Referring to the bet, there won't be any hindsight involved, that's for sure.

November 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I did not, nor do not know about Harvards injuries... I suppose if it wasn't for injuries, Harvard would be undefeated, for sure. Who knows?...I know Harvard hasn't had a No. 1 vote since the injuries.

rokamortis
November 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I know Harvard hasn't had a No. 1 vote since the injuries.

But what if they had the injuries and kept winning? It wouldn't be a problem then and they'd likely ahve more than 1 #1 vote. All teams have injuries unfortunately.

November 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
But what if they had the injuries and kept winning? It wouldn't be a problem then and they'd likely ahve more than 1 #1 vote. All teams have injuries unfortunately.Usually when a team loses their top (and maybe top in the division) RB and top WRs they are no longer a potential No. 1 team.

SoCon48
November 12th, 2005, 08:22 AM
I did not, nor do not know about Harvards injuries. It's pretty much irrelevant. Why isn't a particular team #1? Could be due to injuries, suspensions, coaching, academic casualties,...etc. There are reasons for each team that isn't, and using that 20/20 hindsight that C is talking about, he comes up with one for Harvard. I suppose if it wasn't for injuries, Harvard would be undefeated, for sure. :rolleyes: Who knows?

Referring to the bet, there won't be any hindsight involved, that's for sure.

And had Foster not had the blister, GSU would have beaten ASU and been in 1st place SoCon???

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Now let me get this straight. If ASU loses to WCU and Elon (which they won't), end up 6-5, Coastal shouldn't go because they didn't play anyone that made the playoffs?

Is this what you are stating?

In a nutshell (and at the risk of starting another war of words), yes. Beside the fact that Coastal would have a 30-3 loss on their record to a non-playoff team. Coastal would be 10-1, San Diego would be 10-1 and none of them would have played any teams in the playoffs.

It might be a moot point as I don't see App State losing either. If they get in, it would help Coastal's chances.

The above would not apply to Hampton as they would get the auto-bid from the MEAC.

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM

As much as I appreciate the comments on this site, I must say that I have a tough time believing that anything said here could be construed as "locker room motivation". The vast majority here are not paid professionals (some but definitely not all). If we all were, we would be making money off of it, not sitting around in a chat room drinking beer and puffing out our chests.

Any criticism towards my team from this site, I evaluate the source, whether it comes from students or alums, well-researched or not. Some posters here I respect their opinion and some I do not. Those whom I do not, I still read their posts, chuckle, and put it in the appropriate file.

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2005, 01:13 PM
As much as I appreciate the comments on this site, I must say that I have a tough time believing that anything said here could be construed as "locker room motivation". The vast majority here are not paid professionals (some but definitely not all). If we all were, we would be making money off of it, not sitting around in a chat room drinking beer and puffing out our chests.

Any criticism towards my team from this site, I evaluate the source, whether it comes from students or alums, well-researched or not. Some posters here I respect their opinion and some I do not. Those whom I do not, I still read their posts, chuckle, and put it in the appropriate file.

thank you!

Hamptongal
November 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
thank you!
He didn't know it was coming from this site for goodness sake.

PIRATETIZED1
November 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Orig. posted by Mr.C
"...If Hampton wants a seed, let them work on scheduling decent teams in the non-conference portion of their schedule, instead of Savannah State and Jackson State..."

Earlier Today the FINAL SCORE was:

Mansfield Mountaineers 8 0 0 0 8
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 8 28 28 7 71

Can anyone answer a question for me??? Who is Mansfield Mountaineers???

Are they Div.I-AA??? Are they Div.II??? Are they Div.III???

Hampton IS working on improving their OOC Sked. NOT that you care, but the NEW AD for Hampton is Joe Taylor, Head Football Coach. He will do all he can to get the I-AA "elite" to play home & home vs. the Pirates.
So far other than Princeton Tigers, He cannot find anyone (especially James Madison!!!) :nod: who wants to come to Hampton and play the PIRATES (home & home)!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

bodoyle
November 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
DII team fro Pennsylvania.

Coastal had another team scheduled for today they backed out and mansfield was the only team that had an open date (d2 playoffs start today and they are 1-9)

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hampton IS working on improving their OOC Sked. NOT that you care, but the NEW AD for Hampton is Joe Taylor, Head Football Coach. He will do all he can to get the I-AA "elite" to play home & home vs. the Pirates.
So far other than Princeton Tigers, He cannot find anyone (especially James Madison!!!) :nod: who wants to come to Hampton and play the PIRATES (home & home)!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

Anyone who wants to improve a schedule, forget the demand of a home and home. Just go somewhere and play the game. A few good showings against quality teams on the road and others will give you a home and home. But you got to start somewhere.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 05:02 PM
:confused:

Ok - so you picked our weakest team. Now let's compare our strongest OOC.

Coastal Carolina
Current # 7 App State
Current #17 SC State
Defending National Champ and one time #1 JMU

Hampton
Gardner-Webb
Jackson State

PIRATETIZED1
November 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Orig. posted by LarryBoy

This'll be fun.

:nod:

PIRATETIZED1
November 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Orig. posted by JALMOND
Anyone who wants to improve a schedule, forget the demand of a home and home. Just go somewhere and play the game. A few good showings against quality teams on the road and others will give you a home and home. But you got to start somewhere.

JALMOND.....

I agree with you! Hampton agrees with you! That's why in 2002, the PIRATES traveled to Harrisonburg, VA and defeated James Madison 31-28. I mean, what's the problem?????? Don't they own a :lmao: BUS :eyebrow: ?????? I mean, they DO NOT HAVE TO LEAVE THE STATE OF VIRGINIA!!!!
So what's the problem??? William & Mary is north approx. 24-30 miles up the same Interstate 64....What's the Problem????

Tell me & everyone HERE .... something that makes sense!!!!

PIRATETIZED1
November 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Orig. posted by rokamortis
Ok - so you picked our weakest team. Now let's compare our strongest OOC.

Coastal Carolina
Current # 7 App State
Current #17 SC State
Defending National Champ and one time #1 JMU

Hampton
Gardner-Webb
Jackson State

rokamortis.....

I was NOT picking on Coastal...! I was trying to make a point to JALMOND. My point is simple. No one here REALLY knows about the "headaches" of scheduling the "perfect" schedule each year. Especially having to do this 3, 4 or more years in advance.

I will NOT start my "soapbox" of Hampton attempting to get in the A10...but at least give Hampton credit for trying!!!!! You have to play the schedule handed to you....PERIOD.....!

Thank GOD, we have the playoffs. It has TO BE PLAYED ON THE FIELD!!!
TRUE????

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM

rokamortis.....

I was NOT picking on Coastal...! I was trying to make a point to Mr. C. My point is simple. No one here REALLY knows about the "headaches" of scheduling the "perfect" schedule each year. Especially having to do this 3, 4 or more years in advance.

I will NOT start my "soapbox" of Hampton attempting to get in the A10...but at least give Hampton credit for trying!!!!! You have to play the schedule handed to you....PERIOD.....!

Thank GOD, we have the playoffs. It has TO BE PLAYED ON THE FIELD!!!
TRUE????

Ok - my bad. I apologize.

I'd love to setup a series with you guys - if you have any contact with your AD you should have them inquireif we can't set something up.

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM

If the MEAC is so bad, why have they kept 3 teams in the USA Today Top 25 pretty much through to whole season?

Can anybody answer that question for me?

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Hampton's games are closer than most because they love running the ball. This team has two running backs that typically average over a 100 yards per game. Running the ball takes more time off the clock, which is going to make the games much closer than usual. I want to know that teams better really respect the running game. The offensive line is not a fluke either. They have given up 13 sacks all year. We also have a very strong kicker.

You act like all of Hampton's games have been nail biters. Let's see the scores:

Jackson State 20-7
Howard 22-12 (Rivalry Game)
North Carolina A&T 31-14
Morgan State 44-14 (Should have had 63)
Delaware State 26-8
Gardner-Webb 52-21
Norfolk State 55-14
SCSU 14-10 (Top 25 Team)
B-Cookman 24-10 (Top 25 Team)
Florida A&M 34-14 (Never a easy team to)

So what is your point? You act like HU really struggled to win this year. We are beating teams on a average of 32ppg, with only giving up 12 ppg.

Their Defense is really good. Whoever has to see us in the first round will get to know All-American lineback canidate Justin Durant up close and personal.

Most Teams will not schedule us, plus if you know historically Black College Football, a lot of games are scheduled as CLASSIC games and played at big stadiums for ways for schools to make money, so a lot of those games comes first. That can hurt us in strength of schedule.

I like that most of you all who do not know about us continue to sleep on us. One day you will wake up and see reality. Hopefully it will be in the playoffs. Just make sure you all lobby to you AD's to schedule us soon!

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
If the MEAC is so bad, why have they kept 3 teams in the USA Today Top 25 pretty much through to whole season?

Can anybody answer that question for me?
3 MEAC teams in the top 25???

Hampton
SC ST
??????????

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:01 PM

Hampton
SC ST
??????????

My bad. Bethune was in the top 30-35.

Looks like the Great West had just as many in the top 25 as the MEAC.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Bethune Cookman was in the top 25 for most of the season.

Nope. http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71779

They received some votes but were never ranked.

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Nope. http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71779

They received some votes but were never ranked.

I fessed up to my mistake. :)

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Hampton
SC ST
??????????

Who did NDSU beat that was quality this year?

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Because that "best team" hasn't played ANYONE! :deadhorse :deadhorse

Coastal89
November 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Good question.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Southern Illinois next week ;)

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Because that "best team" hasn't played ANYONE! :deadhorse :deadhorse

Can you tell me why you only won 7-0 against South Dakota State this year?

If the Grizz are so dominant, shouldnt that game have been a blowout?

What about the game with Weber State? Little too close for comfort?

And who in the Heck is Ft Lewis and why did you schedule them?

Sounds like Savannah State to me! :D

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Can you tell me why you only won 7-0 against South Dakota State this year?

If the Grizz are so dominant, shouldnt that game have been a blowout?

What about the game with Weber State? Little too close for comfort?

And who in the Heck is Ft Lewis and why did you schedule them?

Sounds like Savannah State to me! :D

Once again, for the uninformed: Griz schedule ONE Savannah State (Fort Lewis), Hampton plays 7-8! 80% of your conference wouldn't win a game in the BSC, A-10, Gateway, SoCon, etc. I'm afraid Weber would give Hampton a bit more than they would care for...As would South Dakota State. As of right now, the only I-AA Griz loss is to EWU, who would eat Hampton's lunch (you'd just never admit it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) Try scheduling someone--ANYONE--that's worth a ***** outside of your conference, then brag about going 11-0. Until then, we're not listening...

And that being said, you're 11-0, you'll get a seed, and you'll get waxed in the playoffs. I can hardly wait. :nod: :nod:

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Once again, for the uninformed: Griz schedule ONE Savannah State (Fort Lewis), Hampton plays 7-8! 80% of your conference wouldn't win a game in the BSC, A-10, Gateway, SoCon, etc. I'm afraid Weber would give Hampton a bit more than they would care for...As would South Dakota State. As of right now, the only I-AA Griz loss is to EWU, who would eat Hampton's lunch (you'd just never admit it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) Try scheduling someone--ANYONE--that's worth a ***** outside of your conference, then brag about going 11-0. Until then, we're not listening...

And that being said, you're 11-0, you'll get a seed, and you'll get waxed in the playoffs. I can hardly wait. :nod: :nod:

Can you answer the question. SDSU and Weber are both .500 teams and no where near the top 25. So can you please answer what happend in both of those games? Especially since yall were the NCAA 1-AA runner up last year. Yall should have waxed those teams based on pestige alone.

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
If we are so bad, why are we ranked #2 in the nation by USA Today?

Somebody out there must think we are good.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I'm not concerned about all the Hampton arguments. They'll be seeded in the playoffs, and they will be one and done. That'll tell most of us what we already know, and leave the Hampton fans to make up excuses.

REEM10
November 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I'm not concerned about all the Hampton arguments. They'll be seeded in the playoffs, and they will be one and done. That'll tell most of us what we already know, and leave the Hampton fans to make up excuses.

I wont make any excuses. If we lose, we lose. But what excuse will you have if we win?

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 12:35 AM
You will be seeded. You're supposed to win. You're #2 in the polls. You're supposed to win.

When you get knocked out in the first round, all I'm saying is... I don't want to hear anything other than "Hampton is not one of the top teams in I-AA." That's all.

If Hampton makes it to the title game, even if they lose there, I will apologize to all Hampton fans for being totally wrong. Heck, if Hampton wins 2 games I will have been totally wrong. 1 win is certainly possible, I just don't see it happening.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Somebody out there must think we are good.

Umm. They're impressed with your won-loss record. There's a difference.
I'm impressed with the loyalty of the Hampton fans.

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM

As you know, it's schedule strength. Right now the GPI has the teams on Hampton's schedule rated 31, 60, 69, 71, 78, 89, 93, 96, 104, 106, and 117. There are 120 teams in the GPI so that means 9 of the 11 are in the lower 50 percent, one is right on the line tied at 60 with another team, and none are in the top 25 percent. So the impression created is that the Pirates have been consistent in beating 10 bad I-AA teams and one decent one but nobody knows what they'd do against a really good one.

I'm glad I-AA has playoffs so that Hampton has the chance to prove it's being underrated if that's the case. On the other hand I never have been one of those people that says that going undefeated means you're really good no matter who you went undefeated against. It does matter.

If Hampton really does have one of the best teams in I-AA, it'll show. I know perception can mean playing on the road but Western Kentucky won a national championship in 2002 while playing only once at home and James Madison got the national title last year without playing at home at all.

If they're good enough, what other people think isn't going to stop them.

Hamptongal
November 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM
You will be seeded. You're supposed to win. You're #2 in the polls. You're supposed to win.

When you get knocked out in the first round, all I'm saying is... I don't want to hear anything other than "Hampton is not one of the top teams in I-AA." That's all.

If Hampton makes it to the title game, even if they lose there, I will apologize to all Hampton fans for being totally wrong. Heck, if Hampton wins 2 games I will have been totally wrong. 1 win is certainly possible, I just don't see it happening.
I will be the first one to admit that if hampton loses in the first round that they had a weak schedule and didn't deserve to be #2. However, I've seen other upsets in the past during the play-offs so it will be sad but not completely unprecedented.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I will be the first one to admit that if hampton loses in the first round that they had a weak schedule and didn't deserve to be #2. However, I've seen other upsets in the past during the play-offs so it will be sad but not completely unprecedented.

If you draw GSU, even though Hamp's record is superior, it WILL NOT be an upset when the Eagles win.

Give you a little example. In 2000, ASU was THIRD in the SoCon with an 8-3 overall record. Played all 3 play-off games on the road. And I mean really on the road. at Troy State, at WKU, and at Montana for the semis. Only finally lost in OT to Montana.

Hamptongal
November 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM
If you draw GSU, even though Hamp's record is superior, it WILL NOT be an upset when the Eagles win.
Do you see us drawing GSU at this point? I will be surprised if we do.
And you're right they are an impressive and competitive team and I think that would be a great game to watch.

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 08:35 AM

I'm not saying they're bad, but I think pollsters do put too much stock in records without considering strength of schedule. It's why I think power ratings have more credibility. It's kind of like when Marshall finished ranked in the I-A top 10 in 1999. Their schedule was rated 118 by Sagarin...possibly the weakest schedule in the Division. They didn't play anybody that finished in either major top 25 poll. Their biggest claim to fame was beating 6-6 Clemson 13-10...and Clemson had to miss two field goals for them to do it.

For Marshall, beating a middle of the pack BCS league team was big. But it didn't validate the Herd as a top 10 caliber I-AA team. To this day I think it was very questionable to put Marshall in the I-A top 10 for going undefeated against that kind of schedule. Though I'll never know, I think that team would've finished something like 6-6 or 7-5 against the kind of schedule a Big 10 or SEC team plays. In any case it's clear a I-A team wouldn't have to have been top 10 or even top 25 in caliber to go unbeaten against the schedule they played.

Last year Maine didn't finish ranked because they played in an extremely tough I-AA league and finished with a losing record. But I certainly would've favored the Black Bears to beat, say, Jacksonville State (finished ranked 14th) on a neutral field. I think the power ratings, which had Maine rated as one of the best 25 teams, were correct while the polls were not because the power ratings don't "care" about what the record is and objectively take schedule strength into account.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Do you see us drawing GSU at this point? I will be surprised if we do.
And you're right they are an impressive and competitive team and I think that would be a great game to watch.
You're right. Because of your record, you likely draw a more inferior team. GSU may be sent our of our region.
Does Furman or App sound more likely? After all, ASU has lost 3 games. Coastal would be a more reasonable match-up. A close match-up.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not saying they're bad, but I think pollsters do put too much stock in records without considering strength of schedule. It's why I think power ratings have more credibility. It's kind of like when Marshall finished ranked in the I-A top 10 in 1999. Their schedule was rated 118 by Sagarin...possibly the weakest schedule in the Division. They didn't play anybody that finished in either major top 25 poll. Their biggest claim to fame was beating 6-6 Clemson 13-10...and Clemson had to miss two field goals for them to do it.

For Marshall, beating a middle of the pack BCS league team was big. But it didn't validate the Herd as a top 10 caliber I-AA team. To this day I think it was very questionable to put Marshall in the I-A top 10 for going undefeated against that kind of schedule. Though I'll never know, I think that team would've finished something like 6-6 or 7-5 against the kind of schedule a Big 10 or SEC team plays. In any case it's clear a I-A team wouldn't have to have been top 10 or even top 25 in caliber to go unbeaten against the schedule they played.

Last year Maine didn't finish ranked because they played in an extremely tough I-AA league and finished with a losing record. But I certainly would've favored the Black Bears to beat, say, Jacksonville State (finished ranked 14th) on a neutral field. I think the power ratings, which had Maine rated as one of the best 25 teams, were correct while the polls were not because the power ratings don't "care" about what the record is and objectively take schedule strength into account.

FWIW. Marshall would run rough shod over the present I-AA with their current program.
Hell, back in the day when they were in I-AA with I-AA limitations, they won TWO National Championships and THREE runners-up.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 08:45 AM

We, sadly, have had dozens of teams in our own I-AA top ten, who played/play absolutely sukky schedules.

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM
FWIW. Marshall would run rough shod over the present I-AA with their current program.
Hell, back in the day when they were in I-AA with I-AA limitations, they won TWO National Championships and THREE runners-up.

They were the third most successful program behind Georgia Southern and Youngstown State. Youngstown State beat them 2 out of 3 in championship game matchups even though Marshall played 2 of the 3 on its home field. Marshall got to play 24 of its 29 playoff games at home. Away from home the Herd was 2-3 in playoff games.

Both Appalachian State and Furman won more Southern Conference championships than Marshall did when all three were in the same league.

As I-A, they have not lost to a I-AA. But they did beat Wofford by 29-27 in 1998 only because they blocked a short field goal as time ran out. They also beat Youngstown State in 2004 only after the Penguins, trailing by 7, failed on a fourth and goal from the one when their starting back had to leave the game...then threatened again only to have Marshall intercept it and return for a TD to bring the final margin to 14. If I remember correctly the Penguins had over 300 yards rushing during the contest.

Then there was William & Mary this year. Marshall was trailing by a point in the third quarter with William & Mary threatening to extend it's lead when the Herd got a 70 yard fumble return for a TD then went on to win by 12.

I think there would've been a chance that the Herd would've lost somewhere along the way in the I-AA tournament durnig every year. I know they went undefeated in 1999 but Georgia Southern had a really dominant national champ that season and showed it could compete by scaring the bejeezes out of a very solid Oregon State club. I think both Youngstown STate and McNeese would've had a shot at them in 1997, I think Georgia Southern (in spite of losing to UMass in the title game) would've had a real good shot in 1998 (heck, Wofford almost beat them), I think Georgia Southern would've had a shot at beating them in 2000, both Montana and Furman would've in 2001, a number of I-AA teams including WKU, McNeese, and Georgia Southern would've had a shot in 2002, Delaware would've had a shot in 2003, and James Madison as well as Furman and Montana would've had a shot in 2004. This year, William & Mary...a five win I-AA...ALREADY had a shot at beating them.

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Marshall beat my Bison in the playoffs awhile back... :mad:

Hamptongal
November 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM
You're right. Because of your record, you likely draw a more inferior team. GSU may be sent our of our region.
Does Furman or App sound more likely? After all, ASU has lost 3 games. Coastal would be a more reasonable match-up. A close match-up.
I would say Coastal sounds more likely, perhaps Furman but I think App will be too high to be paired up against Hampton as well. If Hampton didn't win that one, well then....uh, I wouldn't know what to say. (Don't want to incur the wrath of the Coastal faithful).

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I would say Coastal sounds more likely, perhaps Furman but I think App will be too high to be paired up against Hampton as well. If Hampton didn't win that one, well then....uh, I wouldn't know what to say. (Don't want to incur the wrath of the Coastal faithful).

In a Hampton / Coastal matchup the loser would be classified as an overrated team and the winner would get dismissed for beating an overrated team.

I think if Coastal makes it then we will get sent to a SoCon school.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 09:49 AM
They were the third most successful program behind Georgia Southern and Youngstown State. Youngstown State beat them 2 out of 3 in championship game matchups even though Marshall played 2 of the 3 on its home field. Marshall got to play 24 of its 29 playoff games at home. Away from home the Herd was 2-3 in playoff games.

Both Appalachian State and Furman won more Southern Conference championships than Marshall did when all three were in the same league.

As I-A, they have not lost to a I-AA. But they did beat Wofford by 29-27 in 1998 only because they blocked a short field goal as time ran out. They also beat Youngstown State in 2004 only after the Penguins, trailing by 7, failed on a fourth and goal from the one when their starting back had to leave the game...then threatened again only to have Marshall intercept it and return for a TD to bring the final margin to 14. If I remember correctly the Penguins had over 300 yards rushing during the contest.

Then there was William & Mary this year. Marshall was trailing by a point in the third quarter with William & Mary threatening to extend it's lead when the Herd got a 70 yard fumble return for a TD then went on to win by 12.

I think there would've been a chance that the Herd would've lost somewhere along the way in the I-AA tournament durnig every year. I know they went undefeated in 1999 but Georgia Southern had a really dominant national champ that season and showed it could compete by scaring the bejeezes out of a very solid Oregon State club. I think both Youngstown STate and McNeese would've had a shot at them in 1997, I think Georgia Southern (in spite of losing to UMass in the title game) would've had a real good shot in 1998 (heck, Wofford almost beat them), I think Georgia Southern would've had a shot at beating them in 2000, both Montana and Furman would've in 2001, a number of I-AA teams including WKU, McNeese, and Georgia Southern would've had a shot in 2002, Delaware would've had a shot in 2003, and James Madison as well as Furman and Montana would've had a shot in 2004. This year, William & Mary...a five win I-AA...ALREADY had a shot at beating them.

Maybe this will put it to rest. Marshall 50 ASU 17 2002. ASU was in the I-AA top 20 at the time. Marshall 38 Youngstown 24 1998
As to the nimber of SoCon championships. Marshall got a slow start when they first entered the conf. (Remember Marshall took years for the program to recover from the setback of losing the entire squad, coaches, etc in a plane crash).
Afer they got on their feet in the conference, the Herd went on to win the 2 NC's and 3 runners up.
Note the win over Youngstown in in '92, 20 (TWENTY) point win over Monatan in '96 for championships. In '92 they were the 2nd place team in the SoCon when they won that NC.

My point was that Marshall's program NOW would be heads above the I-AA teams they once competed with. With an occasional loss to a very few of them.

BTW, their losses in the Natinal Championships/semis included narrow lossses to 8 pts, 1 pt, 4 pts, 2 pts.
They lost to the eventual national champion 5 times.
They lost to the eventual national champion

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Ok, I know a lot of you are skeptical about power ratings but, based on studies I did for fun back in the 90s which I view as subsequently confirmed by data at Todd Beck's site, I view Sagarin's system to be equivalent to the final vegas line in terms of reliability in predicting winners and point spreads. And now that Beck has tracked I-AA predictions for a year I now know Sagarin works as well for I-AAs as it does for I-As (some had doubts about that).

With that in mind, here are the point spreads Sagarin would've established (neutral field) for Marshall vs. each I-AA national champ since 1998 as well as for Marshall vs. the top I-AA (App State) right now:

1998 Marshall by 3 over UMass
1999 Marshall by 13 over GSU
2000 GSU by 6 over Marshall
2001 Marshall by 7 over Montana
2002 Marshall by 2 over WKU
2003 Delaware by 3 over Marshall
2004 JMU by 14 over Marshall
2005 App State by 3 over Marshall

With respect to the last one...is anybody out there going to say they don't think App State would have a shot to beat this year's Marshall squad after the way they aquitted themselves at LSU and the way Marshall struggled with William & Mary?

Based on variation in residuals (differences between observed and predicted point spreads) and some standard statistical assumptions, it can be estimated that teams favored by 13 by Sagarin's system win about 84 percent of the time and those favored by 7 win about 69 percent of the time.

So the way I look at it, 1999 would've been fairly unlikely but otherwise it wouldn't have been a surprise at all to see the top I-AA team beat Marshall. It's have been about a 1 in 6 chance in 1999 but 1 in 3 or better in every other matchup.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM

As I-A, they have not lost to a I-AA. But they did beat Wofford by 29-27 in 1998 only because they blocked a short field goal as time ran out.

Not also, that Marshall beat your Youngstown State 38-24 that same year.
Who BTW went on to the finals the next year.

To say Marshall would have lost somewhere a long the way every year since having the benefits of I-A scholarships disregards the fact that they didn't fail 2 times while still under I-AA limitations.?????

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Ok, I know a lot of you are skeptical about power ratings but, based on studies I did for fun back in the 90s which I view as subsequently confirmed by data at Todd Beck's site, I view Sagarin's system to be equivalent to the final vegas line in terms of reliability in predicting winners and point spreads. And now that Beck has tracked I-AA predictions for a year I now know Sagarin works as well for I-AAs as it does for I-As (some had doubts about that).

With that in mind, here are the point spreads Sagarin would've established (neutral field) for Marshall vs. each I-AA national champ since 1998 as well as for Marshall vs. the top I-AA (App State) right now:

1998 Marshall by 3 over UMass
1999 Marshall by 13 over GSU
2000 GSU by 6 over Marshall
2001 Marshall by 7 over Montana
2002 Marshall by 2 over WKU
2003 Delaware by 3 over Marshall
2004 JMU by 14 over Marshall
2005 App State by 3 over Marshall

With respect to the last one...is anybody out there going to say they don't think App State would have a shot to beat this year's Marshall squad after the way they aquitted themselves at LSU and the way Marshall struggled with William & Mary?

Based on variation in residuals (differences between observed and predicted point spreads) and some standard statistical assumptions, it can be estimated that teams favored by 13 by Sagarin's system win about 84 percent of the time and those favored by 7 win about 69 percent of the time.

So the way I look at it, 1999 would've been fairly unlikely but otherwise it wouldn't have been a surprise at all to see the top I-AA team beat Marshall. It's have been about a 1 in 6 chance in 1999 but 1 in 3 or better in every other matchup.

That's FOUR more hypothetical national championships. That negates the stumble along the way every year theory????

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM

A shot..yes of course.

You're the first I've read who said ASU aquitted themselves at LSU. All I've seen is that:
1. LSU took it easy on App..could've have trounced them,blah blah blah
2. They still lost. A loss is a loss. blah blah blah.

I like your comment MUCH MUCH better. :cool:

November 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
... My point was that Marshall's program NOW would be heads above the I-AA teams they once competed with...Of course they have a full team more players on full scholarships now. I also noticed you included '96 when they were subsequently chastized by the NCAA for questionable player eligibility.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 09:54 PM
A shot..yes of course.

You're the first I've read who said ASU aquitted themselves at LSU. All I've seen is that:
1. LSU took it easy on App..could've have trounced them,blah blah blah
2. They still lost. A loss is a loss. blah blah blah.

I like your comment MUCH MUCH better. :cool:
LSU didn't "take it easy" on App State. They just had a hard time scoring against a very good defense after the first series of the game. LSU didn't call off the dogs until the fourth quarter when ASU started taking Richie Williams and others out of the game (didn't get Jermane Little out early enough).

AZGrizFan
November 13th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Can you answer the question. SDSU and Weber are both .500 teams and no where near the top 25. So can you please answer what happend in both of those games? Especially since yall were the NCAA 1-AA runner up last year. Yall should have waxed those teams based on pestige alone.

Reem, I appreciate your loyalty, but Hampton would finish 7th or 8th in the BSC. Ahead of (this year) only Sac State and MAYBE NAU. Comparing how UM did against Weber vs how Hampton did against anyone on their schedule just doesn't compute. Weber would go 10-1 in the MEAC. There's a reason your conference playoff record is as bad as it is...11-0 is nice but start scheduling some real teams for your OOC games, and then the respect will come. Going 11-0 against St Marys Sisters of the Blind just doesn't cut it (no disrespect intended to St Marys, of course). ;)

Hamptongal
November 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Reem, I appreciate your loyalty, but Hampton would finish 7th or 8th in the BSC. Ahead of (this year) only Sac State and MAYBE NAU. Comparing how UM did against Weber vs how Hampton did against anyone on their schedule just doesn't compute. Weber would go 10-1 in the MEAC. There's a reason your conference playoff record is as bad as it is...11-0 is nice but start scheduling some real teams for your OOC games, and then the respect will come. Going 11-0 against St Marys Sisters of the Blind just doesn't cut it (no disrespect intended to St Marys, of course). ;)
To say that Hampton or any other team for that matter would place a certain way in your conference or any other conference is pointless because that's not how it works and unless they were there, there is absolutely no way to prove how any team would play in another conference. That kind of argument is so inane, not to mention insane. Will everybody making these wild conjectures please wait till the playoffs to cast your judgments. That way if we lose you can say "nanabooboo you guys suck." Until then it's a bunch of hot air.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Of course they have a full team more players on full scholarships now. I also noticed you included '96 when they were subsequently chastized by the NCAA for questionable player eligibility.

That was my whole point. The way they competed so well before adding the next level of scholarships, they would now have an even easier time vs I-AA competion now.

I-AA has had its share of academic irregularities. Thankfully I-AA is out of the spotlight when the NCAA swings its magnifying glass around.
Florida A&M's transgressions were too obvious and numerous to escape the wrath, though.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM
That way if we lose you can say "nanabooboo you guys suck." .

Don't believe I've heard that one before. :D :D

Lapper
November 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
The only question that I have about the Pirates SOS is who have they beaten? Coastal has beaten JMU, SC St in Orangeburg, and a close one with ASU ;) . Honostly, the MEAC is just a bigger Big South.

putter
November 14th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Weber St is probably the most improved team in the nation this year and narrowly lost to Montana, Montana St. and beat Eastern Washington on the road - lost big to North Dakota St and just lost to Portland St! If I am not mistaken all five of these teams have been, and four are still ranked - how does that hold up to who Hampton has played in or out of conference? As far as South Dakota St we shut them out and this same team put up 42 on Georgia Southern. Our offense has struggled to say the least. We had a I-A transfer start the year and was very ineffective and now we play with a red-shirt freshman QB who is getting better with every game.
Hampton has done everything it can do when you play in a weaker conference and a not so strong OOC schedule. You needed to go undefeated and have done so and that is why you will be in the playoffs and probably seeded. We will see how they stack up and the talking (the kind that counts anyway!) will be done on the field.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM
To say that Hampton or any other team for that matter would place a certain way in your conference or any other conference is pointless because that's not how it works and unless they were there, there is absolutely no way to prove how any team would play in another conference. That kind of argument is so inane, not to mention insane. Will everybody making these wild conjectures please wait till the playoffs to cast your judgments. That way if we lose you can say "nanabooboo you guys suck." Until then it's a bunch of hot air.

Nanabooboo you guys suck. :smiley_wi

ASU Kep
November 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM
That was pretty cold.

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Weber St is probably the most improved team in the nation this year and narrowly lost to Montana, Montana St. and beat Eastern Washington on the road - lost big to North Dakota St and just lost to Portland St! If I am not mistaken all five of these teams have been, and four are still ranked - how does that hold up to who Hampton has played in or out of conference? As far as South Dakota St we shut them out and this same team put up 42 on Georgia Southern. Our offense has struggled to say the least. We had a I-A transfer start the year and was very ineffective and now we play with a red-shirt freshman QB who is getting better with every game.
Hampton has done everything it can do when you play in a weaker conference and a not so strong OOC schedule. You needed to go undefeated and have done so and that is why you will be in the playoffs and probably seeded. We will see how they stack up and the talking (the kind that counts anyway!) will be done on the field.

I'd have to say that Richmond is the most improved team this year from last year. A 'guaranteed' win for any team that got to play them this year....to a 'guaranteed 'cellar dweller team through the first 4 weeks...to an 'out of nowhere' at-large bid into the playoffs in the last few weeks of the season...to an out-right 'throttling' of the '#2' team in the nation.

The '#2' team is the reason I used so many damn ' ' thingies. They did not deserve the #2 seed. xlolx

putter
November 29th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thats why I said the "talking" would be done on the field and it was done so, loud and clear!!

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Thats why I said the "talking" would be done on the field and it was done so, loud and clear!!

What talking?? By Hampton AGSers?? No...I bet you can't name more than 20 (maybe I should up that to 30??) HU AGSers that talked smack and 'guaranteed' at least 2 wins in the playoffs or said "STFU and come play!"!

Richmond gave the :asswhip: to HU. And it seemed to push quite a few HU posters away from AGS, huh??

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
That was pretty cold.
She said we could, so I did. It was so funny when she first posted it.

I hope the team she's on in Iraq kicks some major azz. Tired of fooling around with those animals.

OldSchool85
November 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM
What talking?? By Hampton AGSers?? No...I bet you can't name more than 20 (maybe I should up that to 30??) HU AGSers that talked smack and 'guaranteed' at least 2 wins in the playoffs or said "STFU and come play!"!

Richmond gave the :asswhip: to HU. And it seemed to push quite a few HU posters away from AGS, huh??

Not all of them... :)

For what it's worth, I never guaranteed one Hampton playoff win (let alone two)... I personally have no problems whatsoever with saying Richmond deserved to win; the Spiders played football for the entire game while HU fell apart in the second half. Also, Stacy Tutt is every bit as good as advertised, hope to see him playing on Sunday in the future...

putter
November 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Maybe I am not reading you right but what I was talking about was people sparring back and forth about strength of schedule, conference games, etc. The arguments were going nowhere and I stated that both sides can "talk" all they want but the real "talking" would happen on the field to see whether Hampton was overrated or deserving of the #3 seed.

Hampton86
November 30th, 2005, 01:10 PM
..this Hampton fan is not gone either.
Let's just say that Hampton hosted and lost. Hampton fans have NOTHING to hang their heads about nor should you expect us to LEAVE AGS...

Wishful thinking....

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Let's just say that Hampton hosted and lost. Hampton fans have NOTHING to hang their heads about nor should you expect us to LEAVE AGS...

Wishful thinking....

many of you guys have left or haven't posted much at all lately, can't say i blame ya after that :asswhip:

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Wishful thinking....
I didn't say all HU fans are gone...only 'quite a few'. I have no problem with you or other posters that can see both sides of any game on AGS. But it's the guarantees, the 'STFU's and the 'My team lost the game, the other team didn't win it' and the like that are just plain stupid comments. I haven't seen any of that out of some posters...moreso out of others. It's the norm, I understand that.

Here's to sticking around on AGS through the playoffs....and maybe even through the offseason!!! :beerchug:

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
many of you guys have left or haven't posted much at all lately, can't say i blame ya after that :asswhip:

I imagine there will be fewer of us Apps if SIU puts a stomping on us Saturday.

Things about SIU that scare me most:
1. The fact they have 24 seniors. (that's a lot of experience and leadership)
2. Their stats (we can only hope their SOS was lacking enough to balance that)

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
I imagine there will be fewer of us Apps if SIU puts a stomping on us Saturday.

3 things about SIU scare me most:
1. The fact they have 24 seniors. (that's a lot of experience and leadership)
2. Their stats (we can only hope their SOS was lacking enough to balance that)

I'll still be here, but the win is by no stretch of the imagination, a lock

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
I'll still be here, but the win is by no stretch of the imagination, a lock

Agree 100%.

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM
Oh it did? Since I was the one who PROUDLY talked the most smack- and will continue- I don't see your logic. I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere. I know some of you AGSer's want me to leave, but in the words of the "American Dream" Dusty Rhobes "I'm here for the doo-ration, baby!" Oh, and just for you- STFU and come play (just thought you might want a replay) xlolx.

I have no problems with you! A little smack here and there is good for social skills! xlolx
Glad you caught my little 'shout-out' to you concerning your 'STFU' comment last week or so...it made me laugh then, makes me laugh now. My quick goat-like brain couldn't process WTF 'STFU' meant at first... :rotateh:

putter
December 1st, 2005, 02:56 PM

Wishful thinking....

You should be proud at the season you had and I don't think most posters want any Hampton people to leave. I think after the loss not too many people came on here to post- where posters from other losing teams, including mine, were here posting. The more the merrier.

NYSigma
December 1st, 2005, 03:45 PM
Hey I'm still here!! Just a little disappointed that my team did not play as well as I know they could.... I even agree with what most of the posters here say!!

I still am proud of the season we had and most of all PROUD TO BE A HAMPTONIAN!!!

MarkCCU
December 1st, 2005, 09:11 PM
School Pride...gotta respect it and love it. I've come to late into this thread to even catch up if I wanted to.lol

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Hey I'm still here!! Just a little disappointed that my team did not play as well as I know they could.... I even agree with what most of the posters here say!!

I still am proud of the season we had and most of all PROUD TO BE A HAMPTONIAN!!!

You mean you guys aren't going to flip out, declare the sky is falling, fire your coach and his entire staff after a winning season and a post-season birth? Unbelieveable! :eek:

Congrats on a great season.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
You mean you guys aren't going to flip out, declare the sky is falling, fire your coach and his entire staff after a winning season and a post-season birth? Unbelieveable! :eek:

Congrats on a great season.

no jab there eh? :beerchug:

GSUBass
December 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
When you're expectations are to make deep runs into the playoffs each year and you start off 3 of the last 4 years 1 - 2 AND you haven't won a playoff game since 2002 AND there is a noticed lack of discipline AND the playcalling becomes conservative as the game gets on the line AND you have a sub-.500 record against ranked opponents AND have a sub-.500 record in games decided by 7 points or less...then sometimes something has to change.

Coach Sewak's record would be great at other schools...but apparently not at GSU. Personally I wanted to wait another year, but the damage has been done.

All I can do now is hope the guy Mr. Baker hires is better than Coach Sewak.