PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win The A-10?

NEZ
April 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Ok lets heat everyone's predictions on the toughest conference in I-AA

here's my picks
1.UD
2.JMU
3.Umass
4.Maine
5.William & Mary
6.Nova
7.New Hampshire
8.Hofstra
9.N'Eastern
10.Richmond
11.URI
12.Towson

Grizo406
April 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Not to overlook or dis any of the other fine members of the tough A-10, it looks to me to be a battle between UD and JMU.

I'm picking UD for the simple reason that ChickenMan's wife was very nice to me, and he didn't try to cuff and frisk me on their visit to Missoula last season...even though he wanted to. :o

ChickenMan
April 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I have no idea who will win the A10... but I'd bet that some last year's lower finishing teams (Richmond/Hofstra) move up... while some previously higher finishing teams move down.

ChickenMan
April 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I'm picking UD for the simple reason that ChickenMan's wife was very nice to me, and he didn't try to cuff and frisk me on their visit to Missoula last season...even though he wanted to. :o

I think it was the other way around... I was nice and she wanted to cuff and frisk you... ;)

JaxSinfonian
April 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
To keep the argument from another thread going here, my pick to win the A-10 this year is ...

Furman.

;)

OL FU
April 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM
To keep the argument from another thread going here, my pick to win the A-10 this year is ...

Furman.

;)

Dang, you beat me to the punchline :)

ChickenMan
April 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Maybe you should have gone with GSU... as them purple Knights are in the midst of a four game losing streak vs A10 schools... :asswhip: :D :p

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Here goes:

1. UMass
2. JMU
3. W&M
4. UNH
5. UD
6. Maine
7. Villanova
8. Hofstra
9. UR
10. Northeastern
11. URI
12. Towson

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Here was my post from another thread on the poll board...

Here is my pre-pre-season A10 outlook...

North
1. UNH - Return a lot including QB Santos and RB McCoy, big loss is RB Harvey, plus they miss playing JMU and UD this year.
2. Maine - New D-line unit will be the key IMO, Whitcomb a very solid QB
3. UMass - Could switch with Maine as UMass returns a lot, but will it be enough? 4 game A10 stretch of JMU, @Maine, UNH, @UD is the season.
4. Hofstra - young team last year who returns 18 starters
5. Northeastern - will be starting several freshmen in the fall, two year project IMO
6. URI - Not much to look forward to in Kingston.

South
1. JMU - Same basic team from last year, scary.
2. Delaware - return QB, RB, 3WR's the big ? is the O-line (and D line)
3. W&M - Have to replace Campbell, but they've replaced great QB's before
4. Villanova - Burroughs is a great athlete, but he may have to carry entire offense by himself
5. Richmond - Toughest A10 schedule of anyone, Stacy Tutt is a weapon, but he may be their only weapon.
6. Towson - not quite ready to contend, but may win an A10 game (may)

LetsGoNova
April 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm glad to see no one picking Villanova too high. We seem to do a lot better with low expectations. Also, our injuries this spring have been astounding in their number and severity. :(

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Lets put it this way... anyone who picks UD to win the A10 this year needs to go see a head doctor because if you think any team losing 13 starters has a shot in the killer A10, then there is something wrong with you!

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Let's put it this way...anyone who doesn't pick UMass to win the A10 this year needs to go see a head doctor because if you think any team returning so many starters from a 6-5 team that finished an incredible 4-1 with only a loss to lowly URI isn't a lock for the A10, then there is something wrong with you! :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GannonFan
April 27th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Lets put it this way... anyone who picks UD to win the A10 this year needs to go see a head doctor because if you think any team losing 13 starters has a shot in the killer A10, then there is something wrong with you!

Hmm, yup, still seems like you're inflicted with Hen Envy - just think, after this year, UMass picks up a win a year as they skip UD for two years. I'll keep this thread in mind for when UD appraches the unprecedented 3-peat of A10 titles. :)

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Hmm, yup, still seems like you're inflicted with Hen Envy - just think, after this year, UMass picks up a win a year as they skip UD for two years. I'll keep this thread in mind for when UD appraches the unprecedented 3-peat of A10 titles. :)

Yea do that but in the mean time if I were you, I would be helping Riccio learn to run for his life because if you dont, the OLine will kill him this year.

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I would be helping Riccio learn to run for his life because if you dont, the OLine will kill him this year.
:boring: The Hens will actually only be playing with three offensive linemen this year because of graduation from last year. They couldn't find a single replacement.

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM
:boring: The Hens will actually only be playing with three offensive linemen this year because of graduation from last year. They couldn't find a single replacement.

What is that new OLineman from Miami gona take on 3 people? He was so good at Miami you know that he has to come to UD just to get on the field.

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
That's right. Pay no attention to the Hens and their pitiful offensive line. Just focus on all those 6-5 players you have returning.

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 02:41 PM
That's right. Pay no attention to the Hens and their pitiful offensive line. Just focus on all those 6-5 players you have returning.

Those 6-5 players that we have returning were mainly all in their first year starting. You saw how we ended our season after the team geled.

GannonFan
April 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Yup, in that 4-1 to end the season they beat one team with a winning record and had that debacle loss against Rhode Island - that's some mighty fine gelling. If I were you, I'd be more worried about UMass's last 6 games to end the season - JMU, at Maine, New Hampshire, at UD, at Army, and at Hofstra. On the bright side, maybe UMass won't be eliminated from playoff contention until the end of October this year as opposed to the end of September last year?

polsongrizz
April 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I think it was the other way around... I was nice and she wanted to cuff and frisk you... ;)
Cuff and beat with a PR-24. Oh wait he would really enjoy that :spank: :spank: :spank: ;)

Hansel
April 27th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Northeastern... hands down

JMU2004
April 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
man, this didn't take long to turn into a UMass-UD pissing thread

GannonFan
April 27th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately started again by the same old UMass poster - it's almost like a reflex with him.

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately started again by the same old UMass poster - it's almost like a reflex with him.

Nah it all started with UD fans rose colored glasses

GannonFan
April 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM

And you certainly responded in a well thought out, non-smack including, thought provoking analysis. Well done! :rolleyes:

JMU Duke Dog
April 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM
My predictions:

North Division
1. Massachusetts*
2. New Hampshire*
3. Hofstra
4. Maine
5. Northeastern
6. Rhode Island

South Division
T1. James Madison*
T1. Delaware*
3. Richmond
4. William and Mary
5. Villanova
6. Towson

*Will go to the 2005 playoffs.

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
My only prediction is the north will be alot tougher then the south this year... The north will be a 3 or 4 team battle where in the south its JMU JMU JMU!

GannonFan
April 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
My only prediction is the north will be alot tougher then the south this year... The north will be a 3 or 4 team battle where in the south its JMU JMU JMU!

I disagree with that - in the South you have two teams who have no chance - Towson and Richmond. In the North you have URI and probably Northeastern (killer schedule pretty much dooms them) who have no chance. And JMU will still have to run the gauntlet of probably the toughest road conference slate in the league by going to UMass, Hofstra, W&M, and UD.

Ronbo
April 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Here was my post from another thread on the poll board...

Here is my pre-pre-season A10 outlook...

North
1. UNH - Return a lot including QB Santos and RB McCoy, big loss is RB Harvey, plus they miss playing JMU and UD this year.
2. Maine - New D-line unit will be the key IMO, Whitcomb a very solid QB
3. UMass - Could switch with Maine as UMass returns a lot, but will it be enough? 4 game A10 stretch of JMU, @Maine, UNH, @UD is the season.
4. Hofstra - young team last year who returns 18 starters
5. Northeastern - will be starting several freshmen in the fall, two year project IMO
6. URI - Not much to look forward to in Kingston.

South
1. JMU - Same basic team from last year, scary.
2. Delaware - return QB, RB, 3WR's the big ? is the O-line (and D line)
3. W&M - Have to replace Campbell, but they've replaced great QB's before
4. Villanova - Burroughs is a great athlete, but he may have to carry entire offense by himself
5. Richmond - Toughest A10 schedule of anyone, Stacy Tutt is a weapon, but he may be their only weapon.
6. Towson - not quite ready to contend, but may win an A10 game (may)

With 11 starters lost on Offense and Defense there are a lot of holes to fill. That's not exactly "the same basic team".

Umass74
April 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
North Division
1. UNH. Most of the Wildcat’s passing attack returns.
2. UMass deficiencies in DL and QB have been upgraded. Both areas have improve to push UMass into the playoffs.
3. Hofstra. The Dutchmen return to respectability.
4. Maine. Maine looses one of the best big backs in 1-AA---Marcus Williams. It will take them a year to recast their offense.
5. Northeastern. Killer schedule. No 1-AA team can survive their OOC and A10 lineup.
6. Rhody. Half a stadium. Less than 63 scholarships and the prospect of more cutbacks 

South Division:

1. JMU. Tough in-conference draw, but the core of their national championship team remains. They are the favorites until someone beats them.
2. Delaware. Heavy losses in defense may slow the Hens down. However Delaware still has more money, support and players than any other A10 team.
3. William & Mary. Adapting to the loss of the best player in 1-AA will not be easy. Lots of talent if they find a QB
4. Richmond. The rebuilding needs more time. Stacy Tutt needs more help on offense.
5. Villanova. Every year one A10 team jumps up. Maybe the Wildcats?
6. Towson. Only six recruits and four of them linemen.

umassfan
April 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
With 11 starters lost on Offense and Defense there are a lot of holes to fill. That's not exactly "the same basic team".
Im assuming your talking about Delaware and if thats the case then its 13 starters not 11. Two starters were kicked off the team earlier in the offseason.

Ronbo
April 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Im assuming your talking about Delaware and if thats the case then its 13 starters not 11. Two starters were kicked off the team earlier in the offseason.

No, talking about JMU. If they have their skill players back they must have lost many linemen. They have 6 returning on offense and 5 returning on defense.

ChickenMan
April 27th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Ronbo... please... don't confuse umassfan with facts... ;)

JMU2004
April 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
once again....the stat of us losing 11 starters is misleading. Many of the players we lose were co-starters, or split a majority of the snaps with their backups.

We are young at OL and LB....beyond that, secondary needs some help. That being said, we do bring back Beach, Bradshaw, Banks, Rascati, Fenner, Lezotte, Magerko, Dunn, Winston, Suppon, Johnson, Harris, Connighan, Hines, Ellington, and Jordan. All of those guys started at one point last year.

BTW...wanna hear something realy scary? Our OL destroyed the veteran DL during the spring game. They look just as big as last years line.

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I'm glad to see no one picking Villanova too high. We seem to do a lot better with low expectations. Also, our injuries this spring have been astounding in their number and severity. :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Who got hurt? Hope it wasn't Burroughs as I think he is key for you.

MaineFan
April 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM
North Division
2. UMass deficiencies in DL and QB have been upgraded. Both areas have improve to push UMass into the playoffs.
4. Maine. Maine looses one of the best big backs in 1-AA---Marcus Williams. It will take them a year to recast their offense.
5. Northeastern. Killer schedule. No 1-AA team can survive their OOC and A10 lineup.
6. Rhody. Half a stadium. Less than 63 scholarships and the prospect of more cutbacks 

South Division:

1. JMU. Tough in-conference draw, but the core of their national championship team remains. They are the favorites until someone beats them.
2. Delaware. Heavy losses in defense may slow the Hens down. However Delaware still has more money, support and players than any other A10 team.
3. William & Mary. Adapting to the loss of the best player in 1-AA will not be easy. Lots of talent if they find a QB
4. Richmond. The rebuilding needs more time. Stacy Tutt needs more help on offense.

Maine will have No problems scoring points. They have 2 very fine young running backs and ones name is Keon williams who showed what he could do at the end of the year..and the other montell owens who was a great 3rd down back for the team...Maine is being overlooked maybe because of the disappointment of last year? this team returns a great group of recievers,solid running backs and oh yeah one of the best qb's in tle league Maine will be better then most think. The also return arel gordon who might be the most dangerous special teams player in the league. I can promise maine wont have problems scoring.

There defense will be the question mark.They took a pretty good hit on that side of the ball,but there defense was a bust so maybe its not a bad thing.

the 3 biggest problems for this team last year:

1.special teams
2.Penalties
3.Turnovers

all 3 of those can easily be corrected.'

dont be surprised if Maine is back at or near the top of the A-10.

however at this point i favor UD and JMU as the 2 best teams.

the A-10 will be some tough yet again. Its to hard to predict this league.

Good Luck everyone

umassfan
April 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Please tell me what does Delaware have left that scare people? Is it the fact that they return their stud QB who cant throw his way out of a wet paper bag? Or the fact that their OLine returns a total of 2 players out of 5? Or the fact that their DLine returns 1 or 2 out of 4 starters? or the fact that they return 1 starting LBer? Or the fact that they return 1/2 their starting secondary? Or the fact that their kick returner who won a couple games himself last year is no longer there either? Please someone help me understand why Delaware will be good?

ChickenMan
April 28th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Please someone help me understand why Delaware will be good?

For the same reasons GSU and Montana are always good... :p

Now...please tell me why you are so infatuated with Delaware...???

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Of course Delaware faces what GSU and Montana do not - a highly competitive league with as many as 8 teams potentially contending. Any way you cut it, this is a rebuilding year for Delaware. As has been pointed out, that usually means between 6-5 and 8-3. I expect them to be in the mix, but until we see how good their young players are and how they come together as a team, they don't look like a favorite to me. They do have a soft OOC which will help with playoffs. They only have to go 5-3 in the league to have a shot. With Towson and Richmond, that leaves 3-3 against better teams. Very achievable.

bluehenbillk
April 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Not having even seen UD's spring game yet I don't feel that I can accurately pick 1-6 yet for each division.

However, if you want to twist my arm:

North Division:

Only candidates to win are: UNH - strong favorite, UMass- still don't have much of a passing game.

South Division:

3 candidates, usual suspects: JMU - have to be the favorite, all but one of their skill guys back, UD - same as JMU with all but one skill guy back, OL questions though, W&M - strong returning corps, but lost Payton Award QB & top WR. All 3 have fair to favorable schedules.

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
My only prediction...
Oh, that's right. You don't actually post predictions, you just show up after the fact claiming to having predicted everything right.

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 08:47 AM
:spank:
Please someone help me understand why Delaware will be good?
You'd think 23-4 would eventually pound itself into your thick skull. I guess UD has only had 4 rebuilding seasons and 23 seasons where they returned everyone.

bluehenbillk
April 28th, 2005, 09:01 AM
In terms of why UD will be a contender:

- Omar Cuff showed he's one of the top RB's in the league last year, shredding both JMU & W&M's defenses.

- Deepest WR corps in the league: Boler, Ingram & Bleymaier joined by a quartet of red-shirt FR, one the fastest in the history of the UD program.

- Sonny Riccio returns & HOPEFULLY should be better this year.

- Buchanan Award candidate Tom Parks on the DL should draw tons of attention this year.

But I'm not naive, we do have question marks: 3 basically brand-new guys on the OL, I think we have 4 good guys, maybe the kid from Miami will fill the 5th slot.

We're counting on a highly-touted true freshman at K, won't know how that's going to turn out until September.

We have 7 home games, in all honesty, if we beat Lehigh opening night we should be 6-0 headed into a showdown at the Tub with JMU. After that is 4 games against A-10 teams (2 of which we own: Maine & UMass).

It's possible we make the playoffs, it's possible we don't make it. Let me see our team in the spring game before you guys try to jam a title contender or pretender label on us first.

GannonFan
April 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Please tell me what does Delaware have left that scare people? Is it the fact that they return their stud QB who cant throw his way out of a wet paper bag? Or the fact that their OLine returns a total of 2 players out of 5? Or the fact that their DLine returns 1 or 2 out of 4 starters? or the fact that they return 1 starting LBer? Or the fact that they return 1/2 their starting secondary? Or the fact that their kick returner who won a couple games himself last year is no longer there either? Please someone help me understand why Delaware will be good?

Quite frankly, it's no where near as bad as you would like to paint it. The two main problems are both lines, and that's never to be understated. But on the defensive line Parks is still there and he'll be a handful (heck, could be All-American this year). Offensive line will depend on youth, but at least 3 guys have played a fair amount already so there's something to build on. At linebacker almost everyone has seen significant time last year - UD rotates LB's a lot so actually there's no drop-off there. Same with defensive secondary, every projected starter has seen a lot of playing time. Actually, the LB's and DB's, along with Parks, means that UD's defense is going to be pretty good. You may not like Riccio but he's a hell of lot better than Day, plus he has skill players galore to go to - Boler, Cuff, Jones, plus two redhsirt freshmen receivers who could actually start they're so good.

And what you're missing is probably the biggest thing of all - favorable schedule. OOC is Lehigh, Holy Cross, and West Chester, all at home. UD plays 7 home games and has only lost 2 home games in 3 years. Figure they probably go 6-1 at home. They're at Towson, so that's 7 wins right there. Then they're at Maine, at W&M, and at nova - they just need one of those to make the playoffs at 8-3. Heck, UD will most likely be 6-0 going into the home game against JMU. Sorry to disappoint you, but you'll have to wait a few more years before you can crow about a bad UD team. Same as last year, UD, JMU, and W&M will likely be battling it out in the South.

ChickenMan
April 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I have finally seen the light... ummassfan is right... no way UD can contend in the A10 this year. Much like the forecast for GSU last year... the Hens will be lucky to win just a couple of conference games. The cupboards are bare... recruiting has been a disaster and things have never been worse in Henville. As Chicken Little (umassfan) stated... the sky is falling and UD may never win another game... :rolleyes:

OL FU
April 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Obviously losing starters has an impact. But it always amazes me that one can assume because a team loses 11 ( or some other number) starters, the team will decline. A team that is good every year will lose 10,11 or 12 starters based on pure math. If you are good every year, your starting line-up will be from your junior and senior classes (with a couple of freshman and sophmores thrown in, maybe). Therefore, something close to one-half of last years starters will not be eligible this year. Also, if you are good, your back-ups should have seen significant playing time so you don't lose all of your experience. It is the nature of college football.

I am interested in this discussion mainly because my team lost 11 starters from last year (3 of which were signed as free agents). I but I fully expect FU to be as good or better than 2004.

henfan
April 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
This might be one of those years where the A-10 takes a step back competitively, having lost so many key players to graduation. It's a fairly young conference top to bottom.

As for who's going to win it, get yourself a dart and throw it at the dartboard. It's that wide open, IMO.

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I agree that top teams who lose alot of starters generally have experienced players to step in. Where teams may see a decline is in depth. The top level teams usually play alot of people. If a top ten team loses 11 or 12 starters, replacing them is only one issue. I think questions about Delaware this year are focused on how few linemen they have. I'm sure they will field 5 on offense and 4 on defense who can play, but in the A-10 (and among ranked teams) that's rarely enough. That has been Villanova's problem historically as the season wears on.

TheValleyRaider
April 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Just for kicks, really:

North
UNH
UMass
Maine
Hofstra
Northeastern
Rhode Island

South
JMU
UD
W&M
Villanova
Richmond
Towson (they will win an A-10 game this year)

OL FU
April 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I agree that top teams who lose alot of starters generally have experienced players to step in. Where teams may see a decline is in depth. The top level teams usually play alot of people. If a top ten team loses 11 or 12 starters, replacing them is only one issue. I think questions about Delaware this year are focused on how few linemen they have. I'm sure they will field 5 on offense and 4 on defense who can play, but in the A-10 (and among ranked teams) that's rarely enough. That has been Villanova's problem historically as the season wears on.

Agree, a similar comment was also made about JMU in this thread and in another thread (in the AGS Poll section) a comment was made about the Southern being wide open this year because of GSU and FU's loss of starters. I will defer to you A-10 experts on this one, but the Southern Conference comment was just plain wrong. And as you said you have to look deeper than the numbers.

HensRock
April 28th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Just as good as any other predictions...

North
1. Maine
2. Massachusetts
3. Hofstra
4. Rhode Island
5. New Hampshire
6. Northeastern

South
1. Villanova
2. Delaware
3. James Madison
4. William & Mary
5. Towson
6. Richmond

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Just as good as any other predictions...
5. New Hampshire
1. Villanova

Might be as good, but it certainly is different.

Saluki_man
April 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM
From what I have read on this thread and what I saw with UNH last year, I will predict that UNH will get the automatic bid for this conference. UD and JMU are going to get to the playoffs, but the game between the two appears to be a slugfest.

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
JMU and Delaware look like good bets because of soft OOC schedules which should allow them to go 8-3. Delaware's opener against Lehigh could prove to be critical. If either of them loses 3 conference games, they may have trouble making it. It won't surprise me if 2 or more teams win the conference at 6-2, and with no guarantee of 4 teams making the playoffs, head to head and strength of schedule could leave either one out. They both play a D-II team again this year, and with the committee moving towards looking at D-I wins rather than the 3 loss max, a 7-3 D-I record may be hard to justify against an 8-3 D-I.

Last year there were 4 teams that separated themselves. I think this year shapes up with more teams in the mix. Head to head will still count most. If you end up tied with someone who beat you, you'll be out.

MaineFan
April 28th, 2005, 04:20 PM
North
1. UNH
2. Maine
3. Massachusetts
4. Hofstra
5. Rhode Island
6. Northeastern

South
1. JMU
2. Delaware
3. Villanova
4. William & Mary
5. Richmond
6. Towson

rcny46
April 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Well,here goes:

Northern Div.
------------
UMass
Hofstra
Maine
UNH
Northeastern
URI

Southern Div.
------------
JMU
Villanova
W&M
UD
Richmond
Towson

charliej
April 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Actually Nova O should be fine this year,returning some great playmakers in Outlaw,Dieser,Gibson as well as most of the O'line.There are some younger guys who look ready to step up.(Sherry,Dicken,Jones all looked good at spring practice.)Cats will definately be able to put up some points.

If anything I'm more concerned about the D.There are some mighty big shoes to fill there.

blur2005
May 1st, 2005, 01:27 AM
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

THE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS

Actually, I have no clue who will win...I'm cheering for the Dukes, obviously, but still Delaware, UNH, Nova, UMass, Maine...okay, everyone except URI, Towson, and UR has a chance in this league. It's why I love the A-10.

GannonFan
May 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
JMU and Delaware look like good bets because of soft OOC schedules which should allow them to go 8-3. Delaware's opener against Lehigh could prove to be critical. If either of them loses 3 conference games, they may have trouble making it. It won't surprise me if 2 or more teams win the conference at 6-2, and with no guarantee of 4 teams making the playoffs, head to head and strength of schedule could leave either one out. They both play a D-II team again this year, and with the committee moving towards looking at D-I wins rather than the 3 loss max, a 7-3 D-I record may be hard to justify against an 8-3 D-I.

Last year there were 4 teams that separated themselves. I think this year shapes up with more teams in the mix. Head to head will still count most. If you end up tied with someone who beat you, you'll be out.
Getting 4 in is by no means a birthright for the A-10 - last year was fluky as there weren't a lot of good teams on the bubble and the way the A10 race shook out had a bunch of teams all grouped together at the top - but that needed UD to beat W&M who then beat JMU who beat UD who lost to UNH who lost to W&M, etc. I wouldn't count on that happening often again, and when the Great West comes on board fully I doubt it (4 teams from one conference) happen again.

Oh, and as for OOC schedules, the only thing that makes W&M's slightly better than UD or JMU is the Marshall game as their best game. W&M plays Marshall, UD plays Lehigh, and JMU plays Coastal. After that all 3 teams play 2 other patsy teams that are really interchangeable (except for the fact that VMI poses as a IAA team when they would really struggle as a DII).

Catsfan
May 2nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
The A-10 always has some surprise over-achieving and under-achoeving teams. That's what makes it so much fun.

ChickenMan
May 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
The A-10 always has some surprise over-achieving and under-achoeving teams. That's what makes it so much fun.

I agree... my picks...

over... Richmond and/or Hofstra

under... JMU/UD/W&M one or two of them is sure to take a fall

Tribe4SF
May 2nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
I agree... my picks...

under... JMU/UD/W&M one or two of them is sure to take a fall

Also agree. With the big 3 from last year all facing question marks, it could potentially be all 3 that take a fall. Not likely, but certainly possible in the A-10. All you have to do is lose a couple of the inevitably close games and you go from 7-1 to 5-3 in a hurry.

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
i'd be surprised if it's Richmond this year. clawson played all frosh and then frosh and sophs at Fordham and we took our lumps but made great progress. i could be wrong but from what i've read he's really doing the same thing at UR, which means next year is the year their supposed to compete at the top of the conference (according to his plans). Much like Dick Vermeil, he's a year 3 impact guy, imo.

Tribe4SF
May 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Getting 4 in is by no means a birthright for the A-10 - last year was fluky as there weren't a lot of good teams on the bubble and the way the A10 race shook out had a bunch of teams all grouped together at the top - but that needed UD to beat W&M who then beat JMU who beat UD who lost to UNH who lost to W&M, etc. I wouldn't count on that happening often again, and when the Great West comes on board fully I doubt it (4 teams from one conference) happen again.

Oh, and as for OOC schedules, the only thing that makes W&M's slightly better than UD or JMU is the Marshall game as their best game. W&M plays Marshall, UD plays Lehigh, and JMU plays Coastal. After that all 3 teams play 2 other patsy teams that are really interchangeable (except for the fact that VMI poses as a IAA team when they would really struggle as a DII).

Agreed. My point was that with the committee moving to look at D-I wins, the Div. II games are a disadvantage. Whether it's VMI, Holy Cross or Stoney Brook, you're better off to get credit for the win.

Umass74
May 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM

Question. Does Clawson have the players he needs? I think they had a pretty good recruiting class, but does he need at least one more to have enough bodies to run his offense?

Tribe4SF
May 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
Question. Does Clawson have the players he needs? I think they had a pretty good recruiting class, but does he need at least one more to have enough bodies to run his offense?

I think the answer to the second question is probably yes. They may get some help from some of the incoming skill people and at LB, but it will take a couple of years to build a decent O-line.

Ram Ball
August 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I'm not saying Rhody is going to run the table in the A-10....hell...I'm not even saying we're going to be .500 in the conference. But this much I do know.....I will be referencing this post at some point this fall to make someone eats their words.

Good Luck to all.

Am I the only URI guy on this board??

Brad82
August 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I went to Rhode Island and played ball there on 84-85 Eastern champs. If they win 6 games consider it a great year.

blukeys
August 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Am I the only URI guy on this board??

Well we have at least 2 now including brad 82. Welcome to you both we have been looking for some URI participation. :D :D
I would like to know what is happenning in URI land. What are your guys prospects?
I think this finally completes our A-10 12 pack.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

ngineer
August 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I pick da' Hens. After we 'shock 'n awe' them on 9/10 they will have they're 'wake-up call' and K.C. will get their butts in gear to win the conference. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2005, 08:42 PM
BRADLEY..........AS UH FORMER RAMBO.....GOTTA LEAD DUH CHARGE FO' UPDATED RHODEY UNI'S!...........DEY ARE LIKE SORRY WHITE PJ'S...TRIMMED IN VICTORIA SECRET BLUE!.......:boring:..........BRAWK!

saint0917
August 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
North Division

South Division:

I'm going to guess the team with the most wins will win the A10 :D . By the way, very nice post 74.

blukeys
August 24th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Agreed. My point was that with the committee moving to look at D-I wins, the Div. II games are a disadvantage. Whether it's VMI, Holy Cross or Stoney Brook, you're better off to get credit for the win.

I think the committee's standard is that a team needs 7 D-I wins to be considered for the playoffs. After that threshold is met then other factors are looked at to see if the team is playoff elgible . In order for UD to meet the 7 win threshold with West Chester on the schedule they could have no worse than an 8-3 schedule for playoff consideration. Any A-10 team will get a serious look at 8-3. I don't think this is a whole lot different than any other year.

Your point of scheduling a non - scollie I-AA instead of a D-II is well taken and has been discussed ad nauseum on UD boards. West Chester is probably tougher than many non-scollie I-AA's. They made it to the semi-finals of the D-II playoffs last year. The potential for mischief is there by virtue of keeping West Chester on the schedule through the end of the decade. But I think this will be more of a potential problem when we start getting I-A teams back on the schedule in '07.

Brad82
August 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Here are prospects:
Rhody is putting $1 mil. into field refurbishment.
JMU just built $13 mil. football facility
UCONN just raised $16 mil. in athletic endowments.
Start winning =more $$ =better players=better chances of winning
Lost 4 all conference players off team that won 4 games.
QB must stay healthy all season to have shot at winning record.
He gets hit on almost every play in triple option offense.
We used to have best uniforms in country in 80's,blue/gold and white.
Any optimism must be guarded.

TigerFan17
August 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM
North Division

South Division:

You don't need that many recruits when you don't graduate that many players... :) Most of the loss was on the line...so they got linemen. We only graduated one offensive starter. We had the youngest team in the damn world last year. I have no issues with our recruiting at all.

th0m
August 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Here are prospects:
Rhody is putting $1 mil. into field refurbishment.
JMU just built $13 mil. football facility
UCONN just raised $16 mil. in athletic endowments.
Start winning =more $$ =better players=better chances of winning
Lost 4 all conference players off team that won 4 games.
QB must stay healthy all season to have shot at winning record.
He gets hit on almost every play in triple option offense.
We used to have best uniforms in country in 80's,blue/gold and white.
Any optimism must be guarded.

The construction on our APC began 2 years ago, after our 2-9 season. So that logic doesn't really work, with our facility. I'm not saying that winning doesn't open a lot of doors (because it does :D and I hope many more doors will be opened at JMU), but even when your football team performs less than stellar, you can make things happen.

*Correction* That season we went 5-7, not 2-9, that was the year before. But fact still remains we weren't all that, and planning probably began in the 2-9 year or just after it.

WMTribe90
August 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM
1) UMass* 8-3 (6-2) Win the north with win over UNH at home
2) UNH* 8-3 (5-3)
3) Hofstra 5-3 (7-4)
4) Maine 6-5 (4-4)
5) NU 3-8 (2-6) Brutal schedule with several close losses
6) URI 4-7 (2-6) Pull at least one A10 upset

South

1) JMU* 9-2 (6-2) Favorable OOC, win the south
2) WM* 8-3 (6-2)
3) UD 7-4 (5-3) A "rebuilding" year for the banged up hens
4) VU 7-4 (4-4) Wildcats are the biggest enigma IMO
5) UR 4-7 (3-5) A10 spoilers
6) TU 2-9 (0-8) Moral victories and close losses for improved TU

* playoff team

SunCoastBlueHen
August 25th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Since the A-10 is always a horse race, I'll handicap it like one:

North

UNH - Showed good speed in last (ability to score). With good trip (lack of injuries) could best field. Odds: 5-2

UMass - Class edge in this one (I-A transfers)? We shall see. Odds: 3-1

Maine - Black Bears poised for better after disappointing last. Odds 4-1

Hofstra - Can fly (score), but may not have enough here (defense). Odds: 7-1

NU - Tough field and poor gate position for this one (unfavorable schedule). Will need to fire on all cylinders. Odds: 10-1

URI - Not this time. Odds: 30-1

South

JMU - Had great trip in last (ball bounced JMU's way in close games). Will need more of the same to repeat. Odds: 4-1

W&M - Looses award winning jockey (Campbell). Will they respond with new pilot aboard? Odds: 9-2

UD - Talented, but young. May lack stretch kick. Odds: 5-1

VU - Always a threat. Odds: 8-1

UR - Not yet ready for this group. Maybe in a few. Odds: 30-1

TU - Ditto this one. Odds: 50-1

89Hen
August 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
You don't need that many recruits when you don't graduate that many players... :)
You do if you're trying to get to full scholarship levels. :D

89Hen
August 25th, 2005, 11:05 AM
UD - Talented, but young. May lack stretch kick.
I'd actually say the opposite. Talented, but young, may have trouble getting out of the gates.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I'd actually say the opposite. Talented, but young, may have trouble getting out of the gates.

The Hens have a favorable early schedule and young teams can sometimes fold when the playoff chips are on the line. While young player are expected to get better as the year progresses (your point), lack of upper classmen leadership can make a difference when it is crunch time.

How about "can make stretch run, but may hang at the wire" - how's that?

Anovafan
August 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I think JMU and UNH fall back to earth this year. It is much more difficult to be the hunted in the A-10 than to be the hunter.

North
Umass
Hofstra
UNH
Maine
NU
URI

South
UD
Nova
JMU
W&M
Richmond
Towson

blukeys
August 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM
It is much more difficult to be the hunted in the A-10 than to be the hunter.

Ain't that the truth! ;) :)

TigerFan17
August 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
You do if you're trying to get to full scholarship levels. :D

Of course you can also award scholarships to current players, which I wouldn't doubt coach Combs hinted as incentive for doing well.

We just added Women's Golf for 2006, so we should be at full scholarship level by the 2006 or 2007 season. Watch out A-10 :D

TigerFan17
August 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
North
Umass
Hofstra
UNH
Maine
NU
URI

South
UD
JMU
Nova
W&M
Towson
Richmond

blur2005
August 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Considering JMU's schedule, I don't think we'll win the A-10. Away at UMass, Hofstra, Delaware, and William & Mary...we could conceivable lose all four. I think we'll lose to Delaware and UMass, and go 9-2 (6-2). So I'll say it goes like this:

North:
UMass 9-2 (6-2)
New Hampshire 8-3 (5-3)
Hofstra 7-4 (5-3)
Maine 6-5 (4-4)
Northeastern 3-8 (3-5)
Rhode Island 1-10 (0-8)

South:
Delaware 10-1 (7-1)
JMU 9-2 (6-2)
Villanova 7-4 (5-3)
William & Mary 7-4 (5-3)
Towson 5-6 (2-6)
Richmond 1-10 (0-8)

ChickenMan
August 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM
South:
Delaware 10-1 (7-1)

10-1...??? I don't think so... I'd be happy with 8-3... :nod:

DTSpider
August 25th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Richmond 1-10 (0-8)

At least you gave us the VMI win. I certainly hope that we win more than one game this year.

I too think that it'll be real tough for JMU to repeat. I'll go with UMass with the auto bid from the north and JMU, UD & W&M tie in the south with JMU & UD joining UMass in the playoffs.

89Hen
August 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM
lack of upper classmen leadership
I don't see a problem there at all. Mulhern, Parks, Samba, Riccio, Bleymeyer...

SunCoastBlueHen
August 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I don't see a problem there at all. Mulhern, Parks, Samba, Riccio, Bleymeyer...

Damn, 89! You're tough! How about we replace "leadership" with "savvy"? Will you buy then?

For the record, I question Sonny's leadership ability. He certainly did not have ice in his veins during big games last year and QB's lead by instilling confidence in the rest of the offense.

89Hen
August 26th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Damn, 89! You're tough! How about we replace "leadership" with "savvy"? Will you buy then?
Nah :p

I still see the big potential problem area for this team as both lines. Riccio, while no Andy Hall 2003, really wasn't dissimilar to Andy's first year IMO. I think he will have a very strong year, IF the line can hold up (Bergman was a HUGE pickup). There's plenty of talent around Riccio and I wouldn't sell him short. I feel better today about this team then I did 4 months ago. September 10th can't get here soon enough.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Nah :p

I still see the big potential problem area for this team as both lines. Riccio, while no Andy Hall 2003, really wasn't dissimilar to Andy's first year IMO. I think he will have a very strong year, IF the line can hold up (Bergman was a HUGE pickup). There's plenty of talent around Riccio and I wouldn't sell him short. I feel better today about this team then I did 4 months ago. September 10th can't get here soon enough.

Bergman and Holler were both huge pickups with Bergman jumping right in the starting role and Holler adding some much needed depth.

As for Hall vs. Riccio - Hall's struggles his first year can be attributed as much to an inexperienced receiving corp as to his own inexperience. Hall still managed to make things happen (mostly with his legs) his first year and established himself as a leader.

Riccio has to go from a more experienced receiving corp in 2004 to a less experienced one. I hope he improves greatly despite that fact.

What this offense does have over last year's, however, is a proven running back in Cuff and speed receivers in Michaud and Cauthen. I think the Hens need to look more to the big play this year than in the past.

It will be an interesting season.

I love living in Florida during January to August, but long to be home in Newark when football season comes around.

SoCon48
August 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM
When all is said and done--Delaware. (at least a share of the title)

umassfan
August 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM
When all is said and done--Delaware. (at least a share of the title)
Delaware wont even be in the top 5!

ChickenMan
August 26th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Delaware wont even be in the top 5!

Maybe not... but if they could play UMass every week... they would be undefeated... :D

SoCon48
August 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Maybe not... but if they could play UMass every week... they would be undefeated... :D
__________________________________________________ ______________

LOL!!!

foghorn
August 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM
:D TU- Has no speed and quits! 100-1

* Just kidding all Towson fans, as I expect you guys to move up the ladder rapidly. Still remember when you kicked our ass. Go Hens!