PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Time to Get Serious

CSN-info
October 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-time-to-get-serious&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPG

By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

It all started, as it sometimes does, as a phone call with the executive director of the College Sporting News, Ralph Wallace. We started shooting the breeze about our favorite football players in Football Championship Subdivision, games we’ve been to, fun times we’ve had at games this year.

Then, the conversation took a turn towards something else: Brackets. Conference Champions. “What about the autobids?” Ralph said.

He was right. The fun times of FBS matchups, interesting out-of-conference games, and following a team just to admire the band is over. It’s time to get serious. It’s time to talk conference champions, autobids - and who’s going to be in the coveted field of sixteen playoff participants to be announced the week before Thanksgiving.

In other words, it’s time to get serious.

Chuck talks about projected autobids, and the projected field of 16! Plus you get the full Chuckles picks! Cool! xthumbsupx

ElonPride
October 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, We already beat Wofford? xeekx

"the Phoenix have burned the competition seven straight weeks, including a 22-20 win over Georgia Southern, a 31-10 domination of Wofford and a 27-23 win over The Citadel - all nationally-ranked at the time."

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So NAU wins out with only one loss to MT and a win over Weber St.and makes the 3 way tie for the BSC title. Then gets snubbed on a playoff birth???

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
So NAU wins out with only one loss to MT and a win over Weber St.and makes the 3 way tie for the BSC title. Then gets snubbed on a playoff birth???

That is correct. They would be on the outside looking in. Does it make sense? No, but Cal Poly and William & Mary would finish ahead of them.

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
That is correct. They would be on the outside looking in. Does it make sense? No, but Cal Poly and William & Mary would finish ahead of them.

I guess it is similiar to how Cal Poly got snubbed a couple years ago.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Is it possible that an 8-2 Cal Poly could get woofed again? After reading this column I was thinking...

What if the Big Sky has 2-3 co-champs? What if the CAA has 4 bidders? What if the Socon has 4 bidders? What if the MVFC has 4 bidders?

Bottom line, this could be the hardest year for at-larges in a long time.

Great article!

Rob Iola
October 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Is it possible that an 8-2 Cal Poly could get woofed again? After reading this column I was thinking...

What if the Big Sky has 2-3 co-champs? What if the CAA has 4 bidders? What if the Socon has 4 bidders? What if the MVFC has 4 bidders?

Great article!
Chuck deserves a pay raise!

danefan
October 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I've been saying this for weeks now. A lot of good teams are going to be at home for Thanksgiving this year.

Playoff expansion cannot come soon enough.

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I've been saying this for weeks now. A lot of good teams are going to be at home for Thanksgiving this year.

Playoff expansion cannot come soon enough.

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

danefan
October 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

I thought that would get a rise out of someone.....xeyebrowx xcoffeex xnodx

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Of course the CAA could have 5-6 bidders too after reading Dowd's column.

WOW!

Appinator
October 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
So Chuck picks against us....

From Last Weeks "CSN Way":
No. 2 Appalachian State at Georgia Southern. Some people look at records: Appalachian State has only lost to LSU and No. 1 James Madison this year, while Georgia Southern struggled against Austin Peay and Northeastern. Some people look at trends, where Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, two of the bitterest rivals in the SoCon, have split the last four games. Some look at the athletes’ performances, like Mountaineer quarterback Armanti Edwards’ 1,094 passing yards, 388 rushing yards, and 15 touchdowns - and the fact that they ultimately overwhelmed their last two SoCon opponents, The Citadel (47-21) and Samford (35-24). But this Eagle team feels like they have Appalachian State’s number, and I look at Georgia Southern linebacker Quentin Taylor: averaging an amazing 11 tackles a game, and now - reportedly, according to the Statesboro Herald - sporting a “wide mohawk", complete with dreadlocks. Whether Georgia Southern can get back into the SoCon race or even get to an at-large playoff berth, this is the Eagles’ Super Bowl - their Super Bowl last year when they broke Appalachian State’s 30 game home winning streak (in a 38-35 victory), and their Super Bowl this year. In what is always an intense game in a playoff-like atmosphere - Georgia Southern rides Taylor’s confidence to victory.Wide Mohawks 40, Narrow Ties 37

And then takes credit for picking us to win?

From this weeks "CSN Way":
I continue to have Harvard pegged near-perfectly (I had them beating Lehigh 27-23; actual score, 27-24), but I also got some of the “tough” games very right too: for example, the thriller over Six Flags (I predicted Appalachian State beating Georgia Southern 40-37; actual score; 37-36) and Furman’s big win over The Citadel (predicted: 37-24; actual, 34-20).

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Way to go Chuck!

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM

"the Phoenix have burned the competition seven straight weeks, including a 22-20 win over Georgia Southern, a 31-10 domination of Wofford and a 27-23 win over The Citadel - all nationally-ranked at the time."

Crapxmadx

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
没人知道一切 (http://fanyi.cn.yahoo.com/translate_txt)

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM

しかし、一部の行動と同じように行う

danefan
October 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Translation: Nobody knows all.

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Posting chinese on an english site. You be cool.

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Posting chinese on an english site. You be cool.

:D Mine was Japanese.

It said (I think): But some act like they do.

Just used iGoogle for it...

Trying to fit in...

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Trying to fit in...For the ethnocentric crowd, mine is part of my sig. mcveyrl, I don't think Burton acts like he knows it all and I think the column was very intriguing. A memory lapse in his CHUCKLES doesn't diminish that. xcoffeex

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
For the ethnocentric crowd, mine is part of my sig. mcveyrl, I don't think Burton acts like he knows it all and I think the column was very intriguing. A memory lapse doesn't diminish that. xcoffeex

I wasn't attirbuting that to anybody.

I definitely don't think he acts like that. He's always had great columns and predictions (even though I've got to think about some of his nicknames...)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Someone must be reading this thread since it's now been corrected.

Appinator
October 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Wasn't trying to be mean, just pointing out another pick against App by the CSN Way last week.

I love his articles and always look forward to getting to read them every week to keep up with the rest of the FCS world.

However, I was trying to find archives of last years playoff coverage, but I think I remember him picking against us in every game (all at The Rock). And picking THE Citadel against us this year at home? Kind of a reach.

But maybe Armanti trolls the site and takes his picks personally, so keep up the good work Chuck!

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
maybe Armanti trolls the site and takes his picks personally, so keep up the good work Chuck!xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OLDMAIN80
October 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM

He must have edited the article I read or you are experiencing wishful thinking, what it says is a 31-10 domination of Furman.xrulesx

Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Great article!
The Valley won't get four. Three would be a stretch. I would say it will most likely be two. I'd say it will probably be SIU and whoever wins the Nov. 1 matchup between UNI and WIU.

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Trying to fit in...

McVeyrl:
Actually, yours read: "I have a red pencil box."

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
If Chuck won't share his mathematical formula, and he's going to pick based on gut feeling ... why waste time with telling us about a mathematical formula?

appfan2008
October 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
that was a great article and if he is right about asu and wofford winning tomorrow that will set up one hell of a matchup for espn2 on fri and basically for the socon crown!!!

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
picking a against villanova again.. i like our chances...
especially by two touchdowns, the same guy who said we were a mediocre team

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Darrel Young is a safety by the way

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
If Chuck won't share his mathematical formulaI think he has used the "secret formula" in a joking way in prior years.
The Valley won't get four. Three would be a stretch. I would say it will most likely be two. I'd say it will probably be SIU and whoever wins the Nov. 1 matchup between UNI and WIU.What if SDSU wins the MVFC (currently 2-1 in the conference)?

UNI Pike
October 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I think he has used the "secret formula" in a joking way in prior years.What if SDSU wins the MVFC (currently 2-1 in the conference)?

SDSU has the same chances of winning the conference as I do winning the PowerBall. They lost to UNI, and still have to play at SIU & NDSU. MO ST will give them problems also given the match up of MO ST OFF vs SDSU DEF. If they win out, they still need help.

BTW - I have never bought a PowerBall ticket...

slycat
October 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have to disagree with your Texas State - SFA prediction. We may lose but it won't be that bad and we won't give up that many points. We have improved the last two weeks playing against McNeese and UCA which are ranked teams. While I agree that SFA has a good QB, I don;t think he'll light us up with over 60 points.

AlphaSigMD
October 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
If Chuck was a betting man, he would be extraordinarily broke right now. He picks against ASU in every practically every big game and almost always ends up on the wrong side of the score.

If the roulette wheel keeps coming up black...you gotta bet on black.

Maybe his prediction for ASU this weekend (a win...shocker!) is a step in the direction of recovery.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
SDSU has the same chances of winning the conference as I do winning the PowerBall. They lost to UNI, and still have to play at SIU & NDSU. MO ST will give them problems also given the match up of MO ST OFF vs SDSU DEF. If they win out, they still need help.Not true. They have the same amount of losses in conference as UNI.

Sooooooooooo, in a hypothetical like this if both were to win out then SDSU would get the MVFC AQ.

slostang
October 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Great article!

I am sure that I am being a homer, but I think that an 8-2 Cal Poly (missed 27 FG from being 9-1) should be in over any 4th place team of any conference.

The playoffs would be missing seeing one of the top RB tandems in Noble and Mole, one of the top WR in the FCS in Barden and the top rated QB in Dally if they did not include an 8-2 Cal Poly.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Not true. They have the same amount of losses in conference as UNI.
Sooooooooooo, in a hypothetical like this if both were to win out then SDSU would get the MVFC AQ.Oops, I was talking about WIU not UNI. I cut out the part about SDSU beating WIU. :o

uofmman1122
October 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM
もう、アメフットしか話さないでしょう、ね?xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
October 25th, 2008, 01:43 AM
japanese? 時間が深刻に

uofmman1122
October 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM
japanese? 時間が深刻に日本語はSRSBSNSです。xlolx

Syntax Error
October 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM
...您为什么说此在这儿?This is the FCS Discussion board. Talk FCS.

uofmman1122
October 25th, 2008, 04:18 AM
您为什么说此在这儿?This is the FCS Discussion board. Talk FCS.xrolleyesx Excuse me.

Here's to hoping NAU beats Weber today.