PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a coach who moves up to IA is a traitor?

Wolfman
October 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I would like to get the national FCS fan bases' opinion on a topic that pisses me off to no end.

I maintain that 95% of head FCS coaches are using their job as a stepping stone to a head job in IA. As fans, we should all understand this fact, and applaud the move up of our head coach, because he obviously did a good job for our team while he was there. Now, just like most of us who have goals in life, he is able to fullfill his dream.

Do most of you still support your coach who leaves and moves up? Do you wish him well in his new job, or do you want him to fall on his *ss for "deserting your team"?

I just read a thread on the Montana message board discussing the shaky status of Joe Glenn, former UM coach, at Wyoming. It was absolutely nauseating to read the many posts from turncoats who now hope that Joe gets fired since he dared to leave their hallowed Grizzlies for a better opportunity. Many of these same fans kissed his *ss while he was in Missoula, only to turn on him for realizing his dream. It is no surprise, as they did the same thing to Mick Dennehy when he left for Utah State.

They talk about "how he left", insinuating that Glenn owed them, or UM , something. These types, in my opinion, are the lowest form of invertebrates in the fan base. Front-runners, to the man.

I ask any of you this honest question..... Joe Glenn made a $100,000 salary as the Griz head coach. He was offered a $4.5 million dollar package for 5-seasons at Wyoming. Is there anyone out there who would not have jumped through hoops of buffalo scat to take that offer? I thought so. But, to some Montana fans, he was Benedict Arnold for having the audacity to leave the Montana Grizzlies. Oh, I forgot, it wasn't the fact that he left......it was HOW he left!!!! They wanted him to fart kisses to all of Missoula as he rode his horse South to Laramie. xeyebrowx

Let's hear from the rest of the schools' fan base......

danefan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I don't consider that person a traitor. Its a smart move financially.

However, a coach that turns down an FBS job to stay at an FCS will garner a lot of respect from coaches and fans for his loyalty.

Bob Ford has turned down the Syracuse job on a few occasions over the last 36 years to stay at Albany.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
The only thing I would question is that, besides the money, is either Wyoming or Utah State a "better position"? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx I have no hard feelings towards Glenn or Dennehy.

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Of course not.

Do you begrudge the local TV sports anchor for leaving and taking an offer at ESPN or Fox? Or the college professor getting an appointment at a larger school?

Careers are all about the best fit at the best time. Getting angry at a coach because another school happened to provide a better opportunity (that your school chose not to) is a waste of time.

UNIFanSince1983
October 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah I am not sure Utah State or Wyoming is a step up as I think the Griz could beat both of these teams...but I do not fault anyone for taking more money to do the job they love. I know if I got offered MUCH more money for the same job at a different place I would jump at the opportunity as would any sane human being.

I wanted to see Terry Allen do well at Kansas, and in basketball I think Greg McDermott made the right choice and hope he does well except when the play the Panthers.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah I am not sure Utah State or Wyoming is a step up as I think the Griz could beat both of these teams...but I do not fault anyone for taking more money to do the job they love. I know if I got offered MUCH more money for the same job at a different place I would jump at the opportunity as would any sane human being.

I wanted to see Terry Allen do well at Kansas, and in basketball I think Greg McDermott made the right choice and hope he does well except when the play the Panthers.

The dangerous thing about the "more money" angle is that the euphoria of getting a big raise wears off after a while. Once the bloom is off the rose, so to speak, the reality of the situation sets in. I'm sure Joe Glenn woke up one day shortly after arriving in Laramie and said "Fcuk!!! I'm in fcukin' Laramie god damned Wyoming! WTF was I THINKING???"

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Commitment to your program is great...but for the most part FCS schools become a victim of their own success as FBS schools beckon them with more money and (in most cases), stability and access to better tools compete with. All coaches love a challenge, hell thats what a majority of them are in the profession to begin with.

Syntax Error
October 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
"Do you think a coach who moves up to IA is a traitor?" You mean FBS right? I don't necessarily think that every coach has a "dream" to coach at the FBS level. By the time you get to be a salaried college head coach you have a pretty good idea what lies ahead. The winningest college football head coach ever is at St. John's and has never considered moving beyond D-III. Some want to stay at D-II, some in D-I, some have "dreams" of the pros. It's a personal choice and money plus perks definitely play a factor. The only reason for a coach leaving to be deemed a traitor is if he disrespects his former employer.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
"Do you think a coach who moves up to IA is a traitor?" You mean FBS right?

No. He meant I-A. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
I have met some of those dipsticks that bad mouth Joe for the move as well, they are absolutely wrong on the issue and fall into the monster rumor mill that "he wasn't even planning for the playoff game because he was on the phone with...." it's complete bs. People can be so gd stupid and not use their head when they get too emotionally tied up about a coach. I knew most of that staff personally and I also know how the thing went down so to make up a bunch of bs when they left was just stupid. If they get a better offer they go, just like all of us would do. If I was offered 15X the money over the next 5 yrs. I would be gone and so would almost everybody else. Those guys loved Missoula and the Griz and have stopped back for many events after they left and are still in contact with a lot of their friends and wanting to know how the team is looking and so on. Not exactly the kind of thing you would expect from a staff and a coach that was just here for a paycheck. On top of that where was the loyalty to Glenn from the school and the fans if this is what they want to bring up why didn't we match it. Because the state and the schools say "no way" so our loyalty is exactly where his is...looking out for our interests.

AZ, Wyoming is higher profile and if Glenn had turned it around there he would be on his way to an even bigger school and a bigger payday. You have to take the opportunities that are presented to you on the ladder when they arise.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
The dangerous thing about the "more money" angle is that the euphoria of getting a big raise wears off after a while. Once the bloom is off the rose, so to speak, the reality of the situation sets in. I'm sure Joe Glenn woke up one day shortly after arriving in Laramie and said "Fcuk!!! I'm in fcukin' Laramie god damned Wyoming! WTF was I THINKING???"

I can assure you AZ that did not happen. He loves Laramie and really wanted to make things good there for the program and the fans. The whole staff took big steps up in housing and love the community.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
AZ, Wyoming is higher profile and if Glenn had turned it around there he would be on his way to an even bigger school and a bigger payday. You have to take the opportunities that are presented to you on the ladder when they arise.

There was a period between the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007 where Wyoming went 9-3. Since then they're 1-10. WTF happened?

whoanellie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
no

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
There was a period between the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007 where Wyoming went 9-3. Since then they're 1-10. WTF happened?

Man, I don't know and it's not something I like to ask about too much since it's not pleasant for them. They let Cockhill go to try and fix the offensive problems but that guy is pretty sharp with the offense and it's obvious that he wasn't the problem. I just don't think they are able to draw the kind of talent they need to get over the top in that conference. I had a beer in Red's last weekend and Cockhill was there but again it's not a lot of fun to pry on the matter.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
no

Why not? Elaborate...

crunifan
October 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
If Farley bolted for Iowa or Iowa State I would be pissed. It would be like when Greg McDermott left UNI for Iowa State after he took us to three straight NCAA appearances. If our own alumni doesn't want to stay and grow the program, who will?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
If Farley bolted for Iowa or Iowa State I would be pissed. It would be like when Greg McDermott left UNI for Iowa State after he took us to three straight NCAA appearances. If our own alumni doesn't want to stay and grow the program, who will?

Hauck is a Montana alumni as well so the thing is if they have a desire to move up and create a better life for themselves and their families and their careers then how can you have hard feelings about it.

grizband
October 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
The one thing I do know, a few of the players were unhappy with how this entire situation played out...not necessarily that he left, though.

woffordgrad94
October 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
You can't fault a man for doing what he thinks will be improving his situation professionally and financially. Some coaches see moving up to a bigger school as a "promotion" with a pay raise. I know it shouldn't be all about money, buy you are kidding yourself if you think money is not a big part of why some coaches do what they do. Of course, you have others who are loyal to their school because they are very happy where they are at, and change is always risky. Thank goodness Mike Ayers at Wofford is in the latter category. He once turned down a chance to coach at Army to remain at Wofford.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I hardly think moving to Iowa is Moving up...

Hellgate60
October 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I was a big fan of Joe Glenn and I was really disappointed when he left but I would not consider him a traitor. I was hoping that he would do really well at Wyoming and it's sort of sad to see Wyoming struggle right now

Tribegrad02
October 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8207348.html

Jimmye Laycock accepted and then turned down the Boston College job in 1990. I think W&M fans have always appreciated being able to keep him.

I do think that him turning down that job guaranteed that he would never get a look from another 1A, no matter how successful he was, though.

gbhmt
October 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
It's common sense really. I mean commitment to a team comes into play sometimes, but coaches strive to win championships, and he got his at Montana, so where do you go from there but up? It's perfectly justified, and the fans can't even begin to talk down on him after what he did for the program. Now if Hauck would just get the offer in the Pac-10 that he wants...

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM

To a BCS conference? A chance to coach in front of 70,000+ almost every week. That would be a "move up " in my book.

crunifan
October 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hauck is a Montana alumni as well so the thing is if they have a desire to move up and create a better life for themselves and their families and their careers then how can you have hard feelings about it.

We pay Farley like $250,000 a year. Granted, Iowa pays Ferentz $3,000,000, hich anyone would be crazy to pass up, but how are any FCS programs going to be viewed as destination jobs when we are constantly used as stepping stones?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM

So are you honestly saying that you would not have made that move?

blueballs
October 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I didn't consider Paul Johnson a traitor when he left GSU... I was happy for him and he left the program better off than when he arrived.

Van richard cranium on the other hand, not only was he a traitor he was an enemy agent and a sabateur... I've seen roadkill and rotted turds that had more dignity and honor than that POS.

If a coach leaves with honor, the right way, and takes a better job more power to him. I will wish him well and thank him for what he did for the program, just like I feel about Paul Johnson.

HOWEVER, if you are not on my team anymore you are my opponent and you must be defeated. You are either on my team or you're on the other team. Period. And it is my mission to whup your ass by whatever means necessary, regardless of what has happened in the past.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I didn't consider Paul Johnson a traitor when he left GSU... I was happy for him and he left the program better off than when he arrived.

Van richard cranium on the other hand, not only was he a traitor he was an enemy agent and a sabateur... I've seen roadkill and rotted turds that had more dignity and honor than that POS.

If a coach leaves with honor, the right way, and takes a better job more power to him. I will wish him well and thank him for what he did for the program, just like I feel about Paul Johnson.

HOWEVER, if you are not on my team anymore you are my opponent and you must be defeated. You are either on my team or you're on the other team. Period. And it is my mission to whup your ass by whatever means necessary, regardless of what has happened in the past.

Sorry, BB, but if GSU plays Tech, I'm rooting for Tech. PJ will always be my favorite I-A coach after what he did for the Middies. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
We pay Farley like $250,000 a year. Granted, Iowa pays Ferentz $3,000,000, hich anyone would be crazy to pass up, but how are any FCS programs going to be viewed as destination jobs when we are constantly used as stepping stones?

Our level is a great level but you have to be cognizent of the fact that a BCS is across the board a highre level so it would be unlikely that our level is a destination job for many coaches.

MaximumBobcat
October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Joe Glenn is going to get fired...over on gowyogo all I see is arguments on when....this week, or after the season is over? xlolx

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM

Very few of them are...that's the "catch-22", all great coaches in FCS are always on the radar of FBS schools.

You can only hope that either the coach is committed to the program ala Jerry Moore @ ASU or a coach can build a tradition and a system that his successors can run to the same effect without a substantial drop-off in performance.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
To a BCS conference? A chance to coach in front of 70,000+ almost every week. That would be a "move up " in my book.

So are you honestly saying that you would not have made that move?

Honestly, I think I have a sense of humor that amuses only me...

Re-read the title of the thread...

Sigh. I need to go back to cs and continue talking to BlackFalkin - now THAT's Entertainment.

crunifan
October 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Very few of them are...that's the "catch-22", all great coaches in FCS are always on the radar of FBS schools.

You can only hope that either the coach is committed to the program ala Jerry Moore @ ASU or a coach can build a tradition and a system that his successors can run to the same effect without a substantial drop-off in performance.

I guess that's what I am saying. I completely agree with you, by the way. I just wonder if we think it is okay for our own alumi (like UNI's Farley or McDermott our old basketball coach that bolted for ISU) to "move-up" to higher paychecks, who do we honestly think will stick around to build our teams into what we think they are capable of?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM

Sigh. I need to go back to cs and continue talking to BlackFalkin - now THAT's Entertainment.

Oh, I knew what we were talking about as per the thread title but I thought you were much funnier than that so forgive me for not recognizing it as humor.

Wait a minute..BF is back over there? I've been checking all day and haven't seen him. I better go check out the epic response to my futile attempt at him.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM

there is no sarcasm button on the keyboard...xlolx

USDFAN_55
October 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
No hard feelings here for Harbaugh going off to Stanford. How can you be mad at someone for taking a better opportunity? As stated before, it's not just the money, but the challenge as well.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I guess that's what I am saying. I completely agree with you, by the way. I just wonder if we think it is okay for our own alumi (like UNI's Farley or McDermott our old basketball coach that bolted for ISU) to "move-up" to higher paychecks, who do we honestly think will stick around to build our teams into what we think they are capable of?

It would be nice if they are committed to the schools that they themselves attended, but if they are able to build the program up to a certain point to where it can become as successful as we believe it can be then I'd say job well done. Take NC A&T for example, I'm sure the Aggies would love for one of their own to take over the program now that Fobbs is out and return them to their former glory. But if that person does so and then take a job at UNC or or East Carolina then they SHOULD be happy for him IMO.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Oh, I knew what we were talking about as per the thread title but I thought you were much funnier than that so forgive me for not recognizing it as humor.

Wait a minute..BF is back over there? I've been checking all day and haven't seen him. I better go check out the epic response to my futile attempt at him.

Biotch. I like my humor subtle..

And yes, and he brought a friend...

JohnStOnge
October 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Of course not.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Biotch. I like my humor subtle..

And yes, and he brought a friend...

I had no idea that subtle meant "not funny at all with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever" but I get you now. I'm sorry dback, I went to far there.

That's not a friend of his that's him. Go check the other posts like the one on the Cent. Washington thread and you will see that he uses the same BF stylings on there but gets rid on the alexale text styling on the thread we are having fun on.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I had no idea that subtle meant "not funny at all with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever" but I get you now. I'm sorry dback, I went to far there.

That's not a friend of his that's him. Go check the other posts like the one on the Cent. Washington thread and you will see that he uses the same BF stylings on there but gets rid on the alexale text styling on the thread we are having fun on.

Yes, I know it is him. But I am having fun with it!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, I know it is him. But I am having fun with it!

OK, I got it, I'm gonna play the straight man on this one if that's alright with you.

hey, wait a minute...

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
OK, I got it, I'm gonna play the straight man on this one if that's alright with you.

hey, wait a minute...

Yes, you can play straight for once.

WWII
October 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
No they aren't traitors

Cobblestone
October 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I would like to get the national FCS fan bases' opinion on a topic that pisses me off to no end.

I maintain that 95% of head FCS coaches are using their job as a stepping stone to a head job in IA. As fans, we should all understand this fact, and applaud the move up of our head coach, because he obviously did a good job for our team while he was there. Now, just like most of us who have goals in life, he is able to fullfill his dream.

Do most of you still support your coach who leaves and moves up? Do you wish him well in his new job, or do you want him to fall on his *ss for "deserting your team"?
I just read a thread on the Montana message board discussing the shaky status of Joe Glenn, former UM coach, at Wyoming. It was absolutely nauseating to read the many posts from turncoats who now hope that Joe gets fired since he dared to leave their hallowed Grizzlies for a better opportunity. Many of these same fans kissed his *ss while he was in Missoula, only to turn on him for realizing his dream. It is no surprise, as they did the same thing to Mick Dennehy when he left for Utah State.

They talk about "how he left", insinuating that Glenn owed them, or UM , something. These types, in my opinion, are the lowest form of invertebrates in the fan base. Front-runners, to the man.

I ask any of you this honest question..... Joe Glenn made a $100,000 salary as the Griz head coach. He was offered a $4.5 million dollar package for 5-seasons at Wyoming. Is there anyone out there who would not have jumped through hoops of buffalo scat to take that offer? I thought so. But, to some Montana fans, he was Benedict Arnold for having the audacity to leave the Montana Grizzlies. Oh, I forgot, it wasn't the fact that he left......it was HOW he left!!!! They wanted him to fart kisses to all of Missoula as he rode his horse South to Laramie. xeyebrowx

Let's hear from the rest of the schools' fan base......

If Darren Rizzi leaves to take a job at the I-A (FBS) level I will be one of the first people to shake his hand. That would mean that he has taken our program from mediocrity to a playoff level. I long for this day and I'm sure it will come.

I think any rational fan would understand that coaching is a business and career moves are inevitable. Coaches are people with families and if a better and bigger job offer comes along any rational person should understand their coach taking it.

As for those Montana people, I would just say that they are living in a world that doesn't exist.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, you can play straight for once.

See how I set you up so you could be funny again? You're welcome. Man we really ran a good thread into the telephone pose on this one.

Wolfman
October 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I have met some of those dipsticks that bad mouth Joe for the move as well, they are absolutely wrong on the issue and fall into the monster rumor mill that "he wasn't even planning for the playoff game because he was on the phone with...." it's complete bs. People can be so gd stupid and not use their head when they get too emotionally tied up about a coach. I knew most of that staff personally and I also know how the thing went down so to make up a bunch of bs when they left was just stupid. If they get a better offer they go, just like all of us would do. If I was offered 15X the money over the next 5 yrs. I would be gone and so would almost everybody else. Those guys loved Missoula and the Griz and have stopped back for many events after they left and are still in contact with a lot of their friends and wanting to know how the team is looking and so on. Not exactly the kind of thing you would expect from a staff and a coach that was just here for a paycheck. On top of that where was the loyalty to Glenn from the school and the fans if this is what they want to bring up why didn't we match it. Because the state and the schools say "no way" so our loyalty is exactly where his is...looking out for our interests.

This is a great post, and right on the money. I hate to admit it, but so many Griz fans think that everything is black and white, and fail to understand the bigger picture. They are small-minded. They have the same attitude about players who may transfer. Our two starting frosh CBs from last season left Missoula because of its lack of diversity.

Yet, to hear folks like AzGrizFan tell it, Missoula is New York City compared to Laramie. The point being that most diversity kids from large metro areas would not differentiate much between playing in Laramie, or in Missoula. Both are white towns, and "hicksville" to them.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Like blueballs said, it depends upon the fashion of which the coach leaves the school. When Paul Johnson left GSU he made it clear he'd always remember where he came from and where he got his start coaching. Heck, he tried his best to get GSU's first football game with Georgia Tech ever. On the other hand, VanGoobledocker left in almost the worst possible fashion, especially considering how his skills didn't match his swagger. At least when my falcons lose I can now say "well at least VanGoobledocker lost, too".

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I don't consider Paul Wulff to be a traitor at all... I wish him the best of luck and hope he can turn the Cougs around... unfortunately he's been having a tough time doing so.

patssle
October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Wow, I read the title of this thread and though..."stupidest thread ever".

Seriously. Did you stay at an entry level posistion your first job out of college for the rest of your life? No? TRAITOR. xrolleyesx

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Some coaches just want to see what they can do if they have 22 more scholarships. Then there is the money. How can you call a guy a traitor if he wants to see what he can do at another level?

UNIFanSince1983
October 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
If a coach pulls a Nick Saban or Bobby Petrino I would want his head on a stick.

It all comes down to the type of person the coach is. Some can be content and some have huge dreams of going bigger and better places.

putter
October 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Personally, I think this has been blown apart. Most Griz fans wished Joe and his staff well and, yes, there were fans that were unhappy about the story of him walking out to talk to the Wyoming people immediately after the McNeese game (rumor or not). I have never heard any Griz fan say that Joe should not have moved up to the FBS level or felt he was a traitor for moving up. I have only heard from some that, if he did take a call, it was unfair to the kids at that time.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I don't blame them for sure. You gotta make changes to move up. Personally, I was glad to see Denehey go. He had such a dry personality, not necisarily a bad coach or anything, just bored me to tears. I was sad to see Joe leave, he was a good guy even if he flips a coach off for on-side kicking it and running the score up :D

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Wow, I read the title of this thread and though..."stupidest thread ever".

Seriously. Did you stay at an entry level posistion your first job out of college for the rest of your life? No? TRAITOR. xrolleyesxRead the first post...
I just read a thread on the Montana message boardxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

OL FU
October 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Two coaches have left Furman and moved to FBS. Sheridan and Johnson. Two of the best coaches ever at Furman. I rooted for both afterwards (even though Sheridan went to NC Statexrolleyesx )xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
October 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I had no problems when Sparky Woods left App for the job at South Carolina. We got lucky with his replacement as well.

ur2k
October 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Our coach left this year to go to Tennessee, good for him. Although he may be regretting that decision now since he may be looking for another job at the end of the year.

Coaches move on, you just better hope your AD has a good short-list of candidates to work with in the event it happens. Richmond learned this lesson after losing 2 basketball coaches to BCS leagues.

We did pretty good in replacing Coach Clawson with Mike London this past year.

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Our coach left this year to go to Tennessee, good for him. Although he may be regretting that decision now since he may be looking for another job at the end of the year.

Coaches move on, you just better hope your AD has a good short-list of candidates to work with in the event it happens. Richmond learned this lesson after losing 2 basketball coaches to BCS leagues.

We did pretty good in replacing Coach Clawson with Mike London this past year.

I live in Tennessee country and I often feel bad for Coach Clawson. I wonder if he'll be back in FCS next year, or what?

He's obviously a great coach, just in a bad situation right now, I think.

To answer the question: no. A coach that moves up to IA is not a traitor. The administration at JMU has acknowledged that Matthews would likely leave to take a IA/FBS job if it was offered. I've got no problem with that, I just don't want another Alex Woods.

Montanan
October 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Read the first post
Quote:

I just read a thread on the Montana message board

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/AGS2/dropped-the-ball-1.gif xnonox

nmatsen
October 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I think that a move up is fine as long as it is not to an in-state school. Such as, for example, Mark Farley moving to Iowa State like his slap dick counterpart McMoney. If a coach is going to move I think there should be some integrity about moving away from your former school.

Tressel=Traitor

DetroitFlyer
October 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
No. How can you be angry at someone earning an opportunity to obtain a higher level job? There is a huge risk leaving a successful FCS program and taking on what could be a troubled FBS program.... I have nothing but respect for those folks with the b***s to make such a move. Of course I would be disappointed to see them go, but I would never hold someone back to satisfy my own selfish desires.

(I'm still hoping that Jim Harbaugh turns Stanford around and lands his dream NFL job in the future). As a PFL fan, I would have preferred that he stayed at USD, but it was time for him to move to the next level. We Dayton fans have been extremely lucky having had Mike Kelly for many years. Our current coach, Rick Chamberlin has been a player and coach for UD for something like 33 years total, even though this is his first year as the HC. Rick has had several opportunites over the years to take HC jobs at other FCS schools, but he stuck by Dayton. Good for us!

By the way, speaking of Rick Chamberlin, Dayton has now won a total of 600 games. Rick has been part of 300 of those victories as a player and coach at UD. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

ur2k
October 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I live in Tennessee country and I often feel bad for Coach Clawson. I wonder if he'll be back in FCS next year, or what?

He's obviously a great coach, just in a bad situation right now, I think.

To answer the question: no. A coach that moves up to IA is not a traitor. The administration at JMU has acknowledged that Matthews would likely leave to take a IA/FBS job if it was offered. I've got no problem with that, I just don't want another Alex Woods.

Yeah, that will be an interesting situation to keep an eye on. If he gets canned, where does he wind up? He could be our offensive coordinator xnodx And if not, he better stay out of the CAA.

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, that will be an interesting situation to keep an eye on. If he gets canned, where does he wind up? He could be our offensive coordinator xnodx And if not, he better stay out of the CAA.

I don't know if anything of interest to him will open up in the CAA, but I could be surprised. Unless he's coming to JMU, I agree - stay out of my neighborhood!

Wolfman
October 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Personally, I think this has been blown apart. Most Griz fans wished Joe and his staff well and, yes, there were fans that were unhappy about the story of him walking out to talk to the Wyoming people immediately after the McNeese game (rumor or not). I have never heard any Griz fan say that Joe should not have moved up to the FBS level or felt he was a traitor for moving up. I have only heard from some that, if he did take a call, it was unfair to the kids at that time.

Blown apart? Obviously you haven't read the thread on the UM message board in which 10 or more posters are gloating about Glenn's problems at Wyoming. All Joe did for UM is to take them to Chattanooga twice in his short tenure, winning the NC once. Hauck will never accomplish this record.

ERASU2113
October 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The dream for anyone is to be the best. Whether it's being the top pro in sports, business, law, etc.

So there should not be a rule that says coaches who leave are traitors. They are looking for bigger and better things. They want to be the next big name in their profession.

A FCS coach making the move to a bigger program by way of a Coordinator or even a head coach position should take it if the opportunity arises. Fans should not be upset with him leaving but rather supportive of the move up the ladder.

uni88
October 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
No. He meant I-A. xthumbsupx

And here I thought he was talking about moving up to the state of Iowa. xlolx

Tailbone
October 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
As always, Wolfboy is merely advancing his personal agenda based on a dislike for coach Hauck. He is attempting to make Griz fans appear shallow and spiteful without reasonable cause.
I am disinclined to rehash ancient history, you can decide for yourselves if you wish, whether Griz fans have unfairly judged coach Glenn.

For reference:
Scapegoat Griz is a former member of the AD staff.
SeattleGrizFan is our friend wolfcrybaby.
ProudGrizMan is a friend of Glenn's.
Everyone else is pretty much the same there, as here.

The event (in summary) is this: some contend that JG left a team meeting to take a call from the U of Wyoming and never returned to inform or thank his team for their contribution to his resume'.
Nobody faults Joe for advancing his career.......just the manner in which he left.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19834
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19534

RationalGriz
October 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I have no bad feelings about Joe leaving for Wyoming. Even if Griz fans do not want to admit it, coaching in Laramie, in the MWC, is a definate step up. I find it hard to believe that people can dislike a guy because he did what was best for him and his coaches. Many people that work have moved onto better, more high profile positions even though they really liked where they were at, and I highly doubt they take the same beating the JG has taken.

On the flipside of this conversation, I do not think I would back JG to coach the Griz again, but it has more to do with me supporting the idea that some new, outside blood would be a boost to the program then any bad feelings towards JG.

putter
October 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Blown apart? Obviously you haven't read the thread on the UM message board in which 10 or more posters are gloating about Glenn's problems at Wyoming. All Joe did for UM is to take them to Chattanooga twice in his short tenure, winning the NC once. Hauck will never accomplish this record.

Wolfman,

I have read the thread and noticed some of the posters who are enjoying Joe's struggles. I just got the feeling that posters here got the impression that most Griz fans wished ill to Joe, which I don't think is accurate. I think we expect coaches to move on and with the success that the Griz enjoy Montana's coaches get noticed around the country.

I-AA Fan
October 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Just a bunch of whinning griz fans who think their team is better than it actually is.

Jim Tressel made 110k at YSU ...100k for head coach and 10k for being the AD. I think his highest was around 150k. He received twice that his first bowl win, in bonus alone, at Ohio State. If he stays for the length of his contract, his annual salary will be 2 million.

There is not an OSU game covered nationally that YSU does not get a mention (or 6) & this does not cost YSU a cent. Those mentions are worth many thousands of $$$ each in recruiting alone.

JT has made two large donations to YSU, one for a library addition, and another to help with the new indoor sports complex. His donations amount to about 1/3 of what he was paid over the 15-years he was at YSU.

He gave YSU 2 'money games' & now 2 more future 'money games' vs. OSU, about 3 times what he was paid during his entire 15-years as a Penguin.

Of course he maintains close ties because the area is hot-bed of prep talent, but his heart is still with the people of ytown. Though I will never forgive him for butchering the YSU coaching staff; all in all ...not bad.

Furthermore, football is no different than any other sport. Success brings promotion. So who is a traitor? Now when Randy Ball left Western Illinois for a fellow conference member SMS (now MSU) ...he became a traitor.

grizband
October 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
As always, Wolfboy is merely advancing his personal agenda based on a dislike for coach Hauck. He is attempting to make Griz fans appear shallow and spiteful without reasonable cause.
I am disinclined to rehash ancient history, you can decide for yourselves if you wish, whether Griz fans have unfairly judged coach Glenn.

For reference:
Scapegoat Griz is a former member of the AD staff.
SeattleGrizFan is our friend wolfcrybaby.
ProudGrizMan is a friend of Glenn's.
Everyone else is pretty much the same there, as here.

The event (in summary) is this: some contend that JG left a team meeting to take a call from the U of Wyoming and never returned to inform or thank his team for their contribution to his resume'.
Nobody faults Joe for advancing his career.......just the manner in which he left.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19834
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19534
Talking to a former player, this is almost exactly what happened...although, I can't really fault Glenn for taking the opportunity.

phoenix3
October 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
As a fan of Elon, I think I will be dealing with this issue in the next few seasons. I will not consider Lembo a traitor when he goes to a FBS school. I will be extremely disappointed if he goes before the end of the 2010 season though. The turnaround engineered by Lembo et.al., to me, has been amazing. 2005 - 3&8 - 0 SoCon wins, 2006 - 5&6 - 2, 2007 - 7&4 - 4, so far in 2008 - 7&1 - 5. What other conference members can't see is how much our program has grown since Pete has been here. I think we are on the verge of having a winning program here but we're not there yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but my fear is that Elon could slip back into mediocrity if he leaves too soon. So, traitor? No. Diasppointed? Yes.

Hellgate60
October 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Just a bunch of whinning griz fans who think their team is better than it actually is.

Jim Tressel made 110k at YSU ...100k for head coach and 10k for being the AD. I think his highest was around 150k. He received twice that his first bowl win, in bonus alone, at Ohio State. If he stays for the length of his contract, his annual salary will be 2 million.

There is not an OSU game covered nationally that YSU does not get a mention (or 6) & this does not cost YSU a cent. Those mentions are worth many thousands of $$$ each in recruiting alone.

JT has made two large donations to YSU, one for a library addition, and another to help with the new indoor sports complex. His donations amount to about 1/3 of what he was paid over the 15-years he was at YSU.

He gave YSU 2 'money games' & now 2 more future 'money games' vs. OSU, about 3 times what he was paid during his entire 15-years as a Penguin.

Of course he maintains close ties because the area is hot-bed of prep talent, but his heart is still with the people of ytown. Though I will never forgive him for butchering the YSU coaching staff; all in all ...not bad.

Furthermore, football is no different than any other sport. Success brings promotion. So who is a traitor? Now when Randy Ball left Western Illinois for a fellow conference member SMS (now MSU) ...he became a traitor.

I don't know the whole story about Tressel. I just remember him coming to Missoula and beating us in the Playoffs. What happened after that? How did he butcher the YSU coaching staff

AZGrizFan
October 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM

And those 10 fans represent Griz fans anger at Joe Glenn like you represent Griz fans anger towards Bobby Hauck. Neither is true. xrolleyesx

Marcus Garvey
October 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Just moving up to IA in itself is not a reason to label a coach a "traitor."

If he made a bunch of statements though the years like, "Oh, I'm here as long as they'll have me." or "I have no intention of moving on to 'bigger' jobs," so on and so forth. If that were the case, then you could make an argument.

KNUTS
October 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM

E-griz is by no means a litmus test for Griz Fans. It's like watching the news to get,.. well the news. xrotatehx

cmaxwellgsu
October 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Guys who get the big chair at a 1A school are definitely not traitors. A mid-major is a step up from FCS, and BCS is a step up from a mid-major. The previous eight pages pretty well summarize that.

The one thing I'll add is that message boards are never the best measure of a fan base; they are just the easiest measure. People "in the know" don't post priviledged information on the internet just to show their stature. So basically you have the most rabid fans passing their time between games. Usually they are some of the most faithful, but they often have the least perspective and rationale. I would never go to another school's MB just to find something out other than travel info.

Wolfman
October 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Guys who get the big chair at a 1A school are definitely not traitors. A mid-major is a step up from FCS, and BCS is a step up from a mid-major. The previous eight pages pretty well summarize that.

The one thing I'll add is that message boards are never the best measure of a fan base; they are just the easiest measure. People "in the know" don't post priviledged information on the internet just to show their stature. So basically you have the most rabid fans passing their time between games. Usually they are some of the most faithful, but they often have the least perspective and rationale. I would never go to another school's MB just to find something out other than travel info.

God, did you say a freakin' mouthfull! Great post. Your feelings mirror mine exactly, which is why I feel very confident in saying that the 10-20 sugar coaters from Montana who support Bobby Hauck, even though his recruiting disgraces our school, and who post their drivel constantly, are NOT representative of the thousands of Griz fans who could give a ***** about a message board. I GUARANTEE that the silent majority of Griz fans wish Hauck would take a hike.

I am an anomaly, and have made it my personal mission to give a fair and balanced approach to writing about Grizzly football, so that the national FCS fan base will understand that not all Griz fans are homers and unobjective.

It is a tough job, I realize. But, someone has to do it! xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I am an anomaly, and have made it my personal mission to give a fair and balanced approach to writing about Grizzly football, so that the national FCS fan base will understand that not all Griz fans are homers and unobjective.

It is a tough job, I realize. But, someone has to do it! xthumbsupx

LOL! xlolx xwhistlex

I'd have an easier time listening to you if you didn't bash Hauck at every turn.

Grizzaholic
October 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
LOL! xlolx xwhistlex

I'd have an easier time listening to you if you didn't bash Hauck at every turn.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Wolfman
October 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
LOL! xlolx xwhistlex

Look, I have said this many many times now. While I do not think that Bobby Hauck is a good football coach, my MAIN PROBLEM WITH HIM is the criminal element that he continues to add to our football program.

I honestly believe that he has turned a squeaky clean program, one of the cleanest in the contry, into one of the most embarrassing in the country. As an alumni, and long-time fan, I will NOT SUPPORT THIS!

Most of you have simply buried your heads to this, because he keeps winning. I say that is hypocrisy. I will not cut him any slack until we get rid of him, and return Montana football to it's previous level regarding integrity. Ash has done so in Bozeman after Kramer similarly embarrased the Cats. Why are we any different? Why do YOU, as a fan, continue to support this coach???? Is winning really everything?

SoCon48
October 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Is the guy who moves from manager of a Burger King to manager of a Chris Steak House a traitor?
Is the guy who moves from principal of a 500 student elementary school to a 2000 student high school a traitor?

Tailbone
October 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Look, I have said this many many times now. While I do not think that Bobby Hauck is a good football coach, my MAIN PROBLEM WITH HIM is the criminal element that he continues to add to our football program.

Steve, for someone who so freely throws around words like integrity, where's yours? You are lying (as usual).

What was the reason before the "criminal element" surfaced?
You have been anti-Hauck since the day he was hired - citing inexperience as the reason. Your venom has continued unabated since then and only now can you claim it is because of a "criminal element".

Review the posts on this this board, player misconduct seems to affect many programs.

Are you unable to be honest with even yourself, or does your reality change daily as a matter of convenience?