PDA

View Full Version : Who will win? Wofford vs. Elon

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
important socon matchup with major playoff and seed implications top 5 game

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
gotta go with the home team elon on this one...

OLDMAIN80
October 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Close the poll now, Wofford in a landslide (or at least by 21)
dvnm i type to slow!

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM

2 top 5 teams and you have the road team winning by 21??? interesting...

beauvighn
October 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I see The Terriers winning a close on. Riddle throws a couple picks and Wofford controls the clock.

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I gotta go with run over pass...

But I've been wrong before.

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I gotta go with run over pass...

But I've been wrong before.

the weather could play a factor in that as well

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

Is the forecast calling for rain?

Reign of Terrier

I think that would affect Elon more.

Reign of Terrier
Is the forecast calling for rain?

yes

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think that would affect Elon more.

that is exactly what I was saying... the rain will benefit wofford as I believe the rain (if any) wont hurt app in boone

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Only morning rain called for now, slight chance scattered afternoon showers

phoenixphanatic21
October 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
dvnm i type to slow!

Seriously? By 21?!? xeekx Wow.

And I think people are really underestimating Elon's running game here. I think it'll be a close game and I can see either team winning it. I say Elon's special teams makes the difference and they win by 6.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM

And I think people are really underestimating Elon's running game here. I think it'll be a close game and I can see either team winning it. I say Elon's special teams makes the difference and they win by 6.

As good as your running game is I'm not worried about it. I think Wofford's defensive speed can hold it in check. We've only allowed like 2 rushing TDs on the FCS level(3 total)

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM

I think he meant 2 to 1 in the poll, thus his "close the poll now" comment.

I think it'll be close too. I don't know if I am underestimating Elon's running game, but it's strength is definitely the pass. If Wofford stays on the field, the pass won't be on the field as long.

I MIGHT be understimating the Elon run defense. If that's the case, then Riddle and Co. are on the field more than expected and I think Elon wins.

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wofford fans, I know that you're no PC or Chatt, but Elon has held 5 of its last 6 opponents to less than 107 yards rushing. The D was able to hold El Cid and Furman to under 100 yards.

Now, that DOES NOT mean Elon will hold Wofford to under 100 yards.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Wofford fans, I know that you're no PC or Chatt, but Elon has held 5 of its last 6 opponents to less than 107 yards rushing. The D was able to hold El Cid and Furman to under 100 yards.

But we don't hear anything remotely special about their run game, they like to pass more than run

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
But we don't hear anything remotely special about their run game, they like to pass more than run

Elon likes to pass more than run, but you're sure hearing a lot about the run game as of late!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
The rain could actually affect Wofford more than Elon. When GSU ran the option we seemed to always struggle on offense when it was raining. It makes it harder for the players to change direction quickly.

And as I said before, I am picking Elon in this one and sticking with it. I have seen both teams in person and also Elon has beaten more tough opponents than Wofford has.

PhoenixPhan06
October 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
The rain could actually affect Wofford more than Elon. When GSU ran the option we seemed to always struggle on offense when it was raining. It makes it harder for the players to change direction quickly.

And as I said before, I am picking Elon in this one and sticking with it. I have seen both teams in person and also Elon has beaten more tough opponents than Wofford has.

I agree. The balance that our offense has will be too much for Wofford's defense to handle. Given the forecast, expect a few turnovers which could determine the outcome of the game.

All things considered, we have more of an edge when you factor in home field advantage, balanced offensive attack, consistent defense that forces a lot of turnovers (mostly INT's), and special teams that have some of the best athletes in the conference.

millwoga1
October 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM

Elon can and will score quick at times so Wofford will have plenty of oppurtunities to rack up the yards, they will have well over 300 yds rushing. If y'all hold us to 100 yds rushing you may win by 40.

GtFllsGriz
October 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I have to go with Elon on this one. I like Wofford though so the vote was not done with my heart, but my head.

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have been on this board long enough to hear how Wofford will lose from the likes of fans from the Citadel, App, GSU, Furman, Western Kentucky, and Montana.

The world truly has turned upside down, for now I hear how Wofford will lose to Elon.

These are "strange days indeed...most peculiar, momma"
or is it
"the end of the world as we know it?"

millwoga1
October 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have been on this board long enough to hear how Wofford will lose from the likes of fans from the Citadel, App, GSU, Furman, Western Kentucky, and Montana.

The world truly has turned upside down, for now I hear how Wofford will lose to Elon.

or is it
i voted for Wofford

Wolfman
October 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wofford 24

Elon 17

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Elon is a travesy, a sham, and a mockery. They're a traveshamockery.

They've beaten exactly ONE good opponent--Furman. Wofford hands them their asses on Saturday.

Mntneer
October 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think Wofford has this one

millwoga1
October 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Oddsmakers picking Elon by 3 according to betus.com

apppackdad
October 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Wofford will simply keep the ball and win 27-17. TIME OF POSSESSION WILL BE THE KEY STATISTIC. If Elon is close in TOP then they willwin.

phoenixphanatic21
October 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Wofford will simply keep the ball and win 27-17. TIME OF POSSESSION WILL BE THE KEY STATISTIC. If Elon is close in TOP then they willwin.

Not necessarily. With Elon's quick scoring ability, the TOP doesn't have to be close for Elon to win. Granted, it would help a lot, but it's not completely necessary. I think the keys to the game (besides obviously if Elon can stop Wofford's run game) are special teams and turnovers. The team that has won the turnover battle the past few years has ended up winning the game and I like Elon's special teams a little better than Wofford's, granted I don't know much besides they have a great return game apparently. Oh, and line of scrimmage. That will be key too. But the biggest key of all is definitely who puts the most points on the board. xnodx

elon77
October 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM

or is it

Those same fans have been picking Elon to lose all year too, so I know how you feel. The gentleman who said Elon had not beaten anyone all year must have never played at The Citadel and GSU. Throw in a pretty good Samford team and I don't think those wins are too shabby. Elon will win Saturday and the "strange days " will continue. Hey, what would you expect me to say?:D

appfan2008
October 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Oddsmakers picking Elon by 3 according to betus.com

I like it... when in doubt go with the home team

jus10asu
October 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm goin with Wofford... they are hard nosed and I think they pull off the W. We'll see though, this is gonna be a tough one.

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Elon is a travesy, a sham, and a mockery. They're a traveshamockery.

They've beaten exactly ONE good opponent--Furman. Wofford hands them their asses on Saturday.

Remember that team that almost beat App State last weekend in Statesbro? Yeah we beat them too xthumbsupx

terrierbob
October 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'm jacked. I agree that the rain, given Wofford's consistent use of pitch-outs, may hurt us as much as the Elonians.

We win by 7.

LehighFan11
October 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I got a stat here guys:

Red Zone Offense Efficiency:
Elon: 5th in country, 29 scores of 31 chances, 17 td's 12 fg's

Wofford: 97th in the country, 19 scores of 28 chances, 14 td's 5 fg's

I don't know if this is because of the South Carolina game or a bad kicker. Does Wofford's Offense stall in the red zone? Elon's FGs could make the difference in a close game.

OLDMAIN80
October 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I got a stat here guys:

I don't know if this is because of the South Carolina game or a bad kicker. Does Wofford's Offense stall in the red zone? Elon's FGs could make the difference in a close game.

Not a bad kicker, just not a long leg. Don't remember how many attempts we had in red zone against USC but I think we had 4 or 5 in the second half against GSU without a score. Can't get away with that for long in the SOCON.

RazorEdge19
October 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm jacked. I agree that the rain, given Wofford's consistent use of pitch-outs, may hurt us as much as the Elonians.

We win by 7.

No it won't. If it rains, then Wofford gets behind the best offensive line its ever had and runs it right at Elon...

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I got a stat here guys:

Most of that is from the GSU. We drove it to the 14...and fumbled. We missed a FG. We drove it down to the one twice(right?) and came up empty due to GSU capitalizing on the predictable play calling (everyone knew the FB dive) but I still have to give credit to GSU. A few did come off stupid errors though.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Most of that is from the GSU. We drove it to the 14...and fumbled. We missed a FG. We drove it down to the one twice(right?) and came up empty due to GSU capitalizing on the predictable play calling (everyone knew the FB dive) but I still have to give credit to GSU. A few did come off stupid errors though.

and Mugan missed 2 FGS

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Not a bad kicker, just not a long leg. Don't remember how many attempts we had in red zone against USC but I think we had 4 or 5 in the second half against GSU without a score. Can't get away with that for long in the SOCON.

he only missed one at GSU, we had four second half possessions and all went into the red zone.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I got a stat here guys:

on the top of my head I know we missed 4 opps at GSU, one at the end of the game at Chatty(ouch!), and another one yard mishap at PC, I'm not sure about the rest.

fgs44
October 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I expect Wofford to win by gaining over 300 yards rushing plus 100 yds or more via the air, and no turn-overs. If we can force 1-3 TO's on Elon's offense, then I am expecting a good margin of victory. If no team commits TO's then it will be a close game, but I expect a win. If Wofford commits TO's and Elon does'nt, then its a bad day for the good guys. However, my crystal ball says Wofford 42---Elon 17---But since I don't play, it matters not one iota what I think---

Rowdy
October 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM
on the top of my head I know we missed 4 opps at GSU, one at the end of the game at Chatty(ouch!), and another one yard mishap at PC, I'm not sure about the rest.

Wofford took a knee at the end of the Chatty game, and, I believe memory serves me correctly, at the end of the WCU game. Both in the red zone.

BestOfBreed
October 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Elon can and will score quick at times so Wofford will have plenty of oppurtunities to rack up the yards, they will have well over 300 yds rushing. If y'all hold us to 100 yds rushing you may win by 40.

Wofford scores just as quick though... leading the nation in yards per play by a rather significant margin. xwhistlex

PhoenixPhan06
October 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Something interesting that I've noticed from this thread; as we get closer to the game, the margin of voters for a Wofford victory has gotten slimmer and slimmer. Currently at 65-47 in favor of Wofford, it seems like we've reached a concensus but it'll be interesting to see how the poll plays out until kickoff.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
High scoring close shootout, with Elon running the 2 minute drill for the win at the end.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I won't come to TOP or two minute drills. It's all about turnovers. The past two Wofford/Elon games have been decided not based on any sort of dominance, but by forcing key turnovers.

This year will be no different no matter who comes out on top.

apppackdad
October 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not suggesting that Woffford can't score quickly, I just don't think they will want to in this game. Think about the mode they seem to go in versus App. Then throw in the weather factor and I think it behooves them to play it just a little conservative. Keep Riddle and that passing attack off the field. Of course turnovers are a key. I don't believe Wofford can be successful in a shootout. I haven't been in any Wofford staff meetings this week however.

terrierbob
October 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Something interesting that I've noticed from this thread; as we get closer to the game, the margin of voters for a Wofford victory has gotten slimmer and slimmer. Currently at 65-47 in favor of Wofford, it seems like we've reached a concensus but it'll be interesting to see how the poll plays out until kickoff.

Wofford 67
Elon 47 in a shootout

millwoga1
October 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not suggesting that Woffford can't score quickly, I just don't think they will want to in this game. Think about the mode they seem to go in versus App. Then through in the weather factor and I think it behooves them to play it just a little conservative. Keep Riddle and that passing attack off the field. Of course turnovers are a key. I don't believe Wofford can be successful in a shootout. I haven't been in any Wofford staff meetings this week however.

Exactly, Ayers will want to control clock and shorten game like he did against the Cocks, didn't work for a win then but closer than most expected.

millwoga1
October 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM

We have an Obama like lead.

elon77
October 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
We have an Obama like lead.

No Wofford and NOBAMA.:D

SoCon48
October 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Obama is a genius. He has figured out how to cut taxes on 95% of the people even though only 62% actually pay taxes. Pure genius.

elon77
October 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Obama is a genius. He has figured out how to cut taxes on 95% of the people even though only 62% actually pay taxes. Pure genius.

Smoke and Mirrors.xliarx

SoCon48
October 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Re: Who will win? Wofford vs. Elon

Elon. Home field advantage in this otherwise relatively equal match up.

Woff's running behind a strong OL vs Elon's passing and attempted balanced attack.

Sack Riddle less than 4 times and you're toast. Sharpen your little cleats, the turf will be slippery. Not muddy, but slick nonetheless. .

dungeonjoe
October 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
dvnm i type to slow!

You, sir, are a prophet!

bobbythekidd
October 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM
You, sir, are a prophet!
He walks among us!xeekx

xlolx

rcny46
October 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Is it too late for me to predict a Wofford win?

dungeonjoe
October 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Is it too late for me to predict a Wofford win?

only if you can do it midweek like 80 did--- when everybody thought he was drunk.

Woof
October 25th, 2008, 06:30 PM
dvnm i type to slow!

Who knew ? Old Main did !xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx