PDA

View Full Version : Buck Buchanan Update

LCFan21
October 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Let's hear some updates on the candidates at the halfway point:

*College Sporting News National All-Star
**Three consecutive PL Defensive Player of the Week/ One Special Teams
***66 Tackles #1 in the League - 4 TFL - 1.5 Sacks - 2 Brk ups - 4 QBH - 1 fumble recovery - Blocked punt - 1 TD

****Andy Romans, Lafayette, LB, 5′11, 215, Sr., Allendale, NJ

In an outstanding performance in Lafayette’s 35-21 victory at No. 14 Liberty, Romans notched 12 tackles including one for a loss as Lafayette held the Flames more than 14 points below its scoring average. Romans also made two crucial plays on special teams to seal the win in the second half. After a stop by the Leopards’ defense on the first possession of the third quarter, Romans blocked the ensuing punt, the first of his collegiate career. He returned it 15 yards for a touchdown, just reaching the end zone as he controlled the ball to give Lafayette a 35-14 lead. Romans finished the win with a 21-yard run on a fake punt to extend Lafayette’s final drive.

Romans is definately making a strong case up to this point.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Here is the official list of candidates.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/buchanan/2008/index.aspx

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Here are some guys that aren't on the current list but are having great years and could be worth considering.

DE MARCUS BENARD, JACKSON STATE, SR.
LB MIKE BRANNON, SACRAMENTO STATE, SR.
CB EDDIE CALVIN, SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE, JR.
DE JAMES CLOUD, SOUTHERN ILLINOIS, SR.
LB ENDOR COOPER, HOWARD, SR.
DE LARRY HART, CENTRAL ARKANSAS, JR.
LB RAMON HUMBER, NORTH DAKOTA STATE, SR.
DE TIM KNICKY, STEPHEN F. AUSTIN, JR.
DE SEAN LAWYER, CAL POLY, SR.
DE KEVIN LINEHAN, WEBER STATE, JR.
LB LEE ROBINSON, ALCORN STATE, SR.
DE JAMES RUFFIN, NORTHERN IOWA, JR.
DE ADRIAN TRACY, WILLIAM & MARY, JR.

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
really? not one of ASU's incredible linebackers of banks, roman and smith are on the watch list or on your additional list? really?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I would cut down the current list to these front runners (in alphabetical order):

Bobby Abare LB Yale
Jovan Belcher DE Maine
Marcus Haywood FS JMU
Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Andy Romans LB Laffayette
Jason Williams LB WIU
Nathan Williams LB Murray St.

IaaScribe
October 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Romans is the truth. And a solid interview to boot.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
really? not one of ASU's incredible linebackers of banks, roman and smith are on the watch list or on your additional list? really?

Banks is having a down year. His numbers are just average. Roman has a lot of tackles given to him because teams pound the middle of the defense due to it being considered a weakness. Smith is just a sophomore and I think a year away. I firmly predict that Smith will be on the Buchanan list at some point next year, just a year too early IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I would cut down the current list to these front runners (in alphabetical order):

Bobby Abare LB Yale
Jovan Belcher DE Maine
Marcus Haywood FS JMU
Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Andy Romans LB Lafayette
Jason Williams LB WIU
Nathan Williams LB Murray St.

I think you could trim it down even more to this point to these 3.

Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Jason Williams LB WIU

Haywood and Belcher are a couple huge games away from playing their way onto the lists for sure.

leatherneck177
October 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Jason Williams LB WIU

Haywood and Belcher are a couple huge games away from playing their way onto the lists for sure.

Jason Williams.
www.wiuathletics.com

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Jason Williams.
www.wiuathletics.com

He is a stud! xthumbsupx

Pard94
October 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Jason Williams LB WIU

At the risk of sounding like the Homer that I am...Romans from Lafayette is coming off a three week performance of 18 tackles, 15, tackels and 12 tackles a blocked punt returned for a TD. 2 of the teams in they faced in that span were either ranked (Liberty) or just outside the rankings (Harvard). What more does he have to do to make the short list?

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
At the risk of sounding like the Homer that I am...Romans from Lafayette is coming off a three week performance of 18 tackles, 15, tackels and 12 tackles a blocked punt returned for a TD. 2 of the teams in they faced in that span were either ranked (Liberty) or just outside the rankings (Harvard). What more does he have to do to make the short list?

You have good points and he deserves to be on the list, like he is, but when you have a player dominating at a Nova team that is very well a top 5 caliber team, a DE with 14 sacks (WOW!), and a LB from WIU that has been a constant game changer who dominated against Arkansas (a SEC team) and his league the last couple years you have to put those guys slightly ahead. If Romans finishes the season with say 5-6 PL POW awards and has great numbers across the board, he has to be considered up there for sure. Not slighting him just pointing out that the others have done their against slightly better competition. I would say Romans is top 5 for sure. xthumbsupx

LCFan21
October 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM

Greg Miller DE Villanova
Greg Peach DE EWU
Jason Williams LB WIU

Can you expand a little more on this opinion for us? Is it more to do with what school or league you play for vs. results on the field? Have you seen all of these guys on more then one occassion? Not judging here just want to understand how you go about making this short list.

LCFan21
October 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
You have good points and he deserves to be on the list, like he is, but when you have a player dominating at a Nova team that is very well a top 5 caliber team, a DE with 14 sacks (WOW!), and a LB from WIU that has been a constant game changer who dominated against Arkansas (a SEC team) and his league the last couple years you have to put those guys slightly ahead. If Romans finishes the season with say 5-6 PL POW awards and has great numbers across the board, he has to be considered up there for sure. Not slighting him just pointing out that the others have done their against slightly better competition. I would say Romans is top 5 for sure. xthumbsupx

OK Thanks - we were typing at the same time.