PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of thoughts on Wofford

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
A couple of thoughts occured to me, kind of a good news-bad news type of deal.

1. First, the positive. IF, and believe me, this is a big IF, #4 Wofford can manage to win these next two road games at #3 Elon and #2 Appalachian State, we would have a shot at being ranked #1 in FCS for the first time in school history! I'm not sure if Wofford was ever even ranked #1 as an NAIA school before. But of course it would help if someone would knock off James Madison in the next couple of weeks as well, or the T-Dogs might can only advance as far as #2. I have no idea as to the chances of that happening, as I do not know who JMU will be playing, but hey, anything is possible!

2. On the other side of the coin, in addition to the relentless passing attack and improved running game Elon will challenge my Terriers with, the kicking game is also a huge concern! Althogh it has gotten a little better recently, Wofford is still last (or close to it) in the SoCon in covering kickoffs (yards given up on kickoff returns) which often allows opponents good field position to start drives. We can't afford to give Elon short fields. Also, the placekicking at Wofford is average at best. I'm not sure how Elon's is, but it's probably better than ours. If it is a close game, which is exteremly likely, and it comes down to field goals, which is also very possible, that will not bode well for Wofford. You can't always go for it on every 4th down. Sometimes you've got to be able to make a FG, and the Terriers just can't seem to shore up this very important part of the game and get a reliable PK.

The Cats
October 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
first, why would you think ANYONE would want to hear about your drinking or bathroom habits xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xflaggedx xflaggedx xflaggedx

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
first, why would you think ANYONE would want to hear about your drinking or bathroom habits xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xflaggedx xflaggedx xflaggedx

You are right. I thought it might be funny, but I guess it really isn't.

GolfingGriz
October 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
IF Wofford can win their next two games I think they will still be a very close second to JMU. They could jump them if they have impressive point differentials, especially at The Rock.

elon77
October 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
IF Wofford can win their next two games I think they will still be a very close second to JMU. They could jump them if they have impressive point differentials, especially at The Rock.

If a frog had wings .. ........ .... ... ... ! xnodx

Syntax Error
October 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
IF Wofford can win their next two games I think they will still be a very close second to JMU. They could jump them if they have impressive point differentials, especially at The Rock.Good point. JMU beat UR and ASU by a hair. Depending on what happens with the Dukes @ Nova and if WC wins this week it'll be interesting.

elontom
October 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
A couple of thoughts occured to me, kind of a good news-bad news type of deal.

1. First, the positive. IF, and believe me, this is a big IF, #4 Wofford can manage to win these next two road games at #3 Elon and #2 Appalachian State, we would have a shot at being ranked #1 in FCS for the first time in school history! I'm not sure if Wofford was ever even ranked #1 as an NAIA school before. But of course it would help if someone would knock off James Madison in the next couple of weeks as well, or the T-Dogs might can only advance as far as #2. I have no idea as to the chances of that happening, as I do not know who JMU will be playing, but hey, anything is possible!

2. On the other side of the coin, in addition to the relentless passing attack and improved running game Elon will challenge my Terriers with, the kicking game is also a huge concern! Althogh it has gotten a little better recently, Wofford is still last (or close to it) in the SoCon in covering kickoffs (yards given up on kickoff returns) which often allows opponents good field position to start drives. We can't afford to give Elon short fields. Also, the placekicking at Wofford is average at best. I'm not sure how Elon's is, but it's probably better than ours. If it is a close game, which is exteremly likely, and it comes down to field goals, which is also very possible, that will not bode well for Wofford. You can't always go for it on every 4th down. Sometimes you've got to be able to make a FG, and the Terriers just can't seem to shore up this very important part of the game and get a reliable PK.
You cannot tag on a modal verb to another modal verb. This is because modal verb constructions always take an infinitive. Modal verbs have no infinitive form ie, there's no such thing as "to can," "to might," "to would," etc.

Some people in the Southern United States tag modal verbs onto other modal verbs, so "might can" would be acceptable to them. Such usage, of course, is generally frowned upon and marks one as a "hick", "country bumpkin", "redneck", etc.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
You cannot tag on a modal verb to another modal verb. This is because modal verb constructions always take an infinitive. Modal verbs have no infinitive form ie, there's no such thing as "to can," "to might," "to would," etc.

Some people in the Southern United States tag modal verbs onto other modal verbs, so "might can" would be acceptable to them. Such usage, of course, is generally frowned upon and marks one as a "hick", "country bumpkin", "redneck", etc.

WTF?! Whatever, dude. In case you haven't noticed, this is a football board, not a grammar lessons board.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM

save it for Alexale

elontom
October 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
WTF?! Whatever, dude. In case you haven't noticed, this is a football board, not a grammar lessons board.
A football board where English is the primary language, correct?

"might can" xnonox

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Only 7 posts and Tommy's already pi$$ing me off. I hope he will get put "in the red" on rep just like our buddy Alex. I still can't forget Alex's legendary "Waffleford" posts before the Richmond playoff game last year. "The Waffle is coming to town to get eaten." Classic smack talk. xrolleyesx

elontom
October 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Just trying to educate the Southerners that make me not so proud to call myself one.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Dude, IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! THIS IS NOT A FORMAL SETTING! JUST CHILL, HAVE FUN, AND TALK SOME FOOTBALL! xthumbsupx

And BTW, I can't wait until Citdog sees your "not proud to be a Southerner" post. :p

appstate38
October 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM

Another post made by an individual with nothing constructive to add to the conversation.... Move along, nothing to see herexrolleyesx

appsfan
October 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM

A word of caution Tom- a newbie coming on the board correcting grammar can find himself labled a prick. I doubt you would want that to happen, but then again, I don't know you.xwhistlex

elontom
October 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Dude, IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! THIS IS NOT A FORMAL SETTING! JUST CHILL, HAVE FUN, AND TALK SOME FOOTBALL! xthumbsupx

And BTW, I can't wait until Citdog sees your "not proud to be a Southerner" post. :p

Another post made by an individual with nothing constructive to add to the conversation.... Move along, nothing to see herexrolleyesx

A word of caution Tom- a newbie coming on the board correcting grammar can find himself labled a prick. I doubt you would want that to happen, but then again, I don't know you.xwhistlex

Oh come on, can't stir the pot a little? I've enjoyed reading everything about the FCS that this board has to offer. Seems like a pretty knowledgeable community. xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Okay, Tom. You've had your fun now. Back to football. You have a great team up at Elon that you should be very proud to talk about. Our schools are about to face off in what is arguably the game of the week in the FCS.

appsfan
October 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Predictions, anyone? Anyone?

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
My objective, non-biased prediction is:

Elon 31, Wofford 28.

I hope I am proven very wrong!

elontom
October 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, Tom. You've had your fun now. Back to football. You have a great team up at Elon that you should be very proud to talk about. Our schools are about to face off in what is arguably the game of the week in the FCS.
Very nervous about this Saturday. The weather is likely going to play a huge factor in the game. I'm glad the field drains well!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Just trying to educate the Southerners that make me not so proud to call myself one.

I totally weep for my part of the country when supposedly educated people don't know proper use of modal verbs. What's next, are we going to be churning out college graduates who don't know how to use a computer to compute partial derivatives over an oblate ellipsoidal manifold?

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, I'm nervous, too, Tom. I hope we don't fumble the ball a zillion times like we did against you guys last year, and a wet football certainly wouldn't help! The forecast is not the best.

rcny46
October 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=woffordgrad94;1166677]WTF?! Whatever, dude. In case you haven't noticed, this is a football board, not a grammar lessons board.[/QUOT

Just so you know,he made a grammatical mistake of his own in his assessment of your post.

rcny46
October 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Just to let you know,he made a grammatical mistake o his own in his assessment of your post.

rcny46
October 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
WTF?! Whatever, dude. In case you haven't noticed, this is a football board, not a grammar lessons board.[/QUOTE]

yyyy

rcny46
October 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
woffordgrad94,

Just so you know,elontom made a grammatical error of his own in his assessment of your post. ;)

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM

And, exactly who are you newbie? You're right, the intellectual superiority busting out of Burlington these days is amazing. xlolx Don't like the South? I know a large area called the North where you can go and be amongst the intellectual elite like the Bushes from Maine, the Kerrys from Mass and even the supremely intelligent Michael Moore from Michigan. xlolx

Anyways, hopefully you'll start posting about football. It should be one heck of a game at Elon this weekend. I see a tight one and I think it will be won in the trenches (imagine that). I think Wofford has to get pressure on Riddle and disrupt his timing. Elon has a great passing attack. Then Wofford's O-line needs to win the battle to get the running game going to eat up some clock and keep Riddle off the field. That's CD's Key's to the Game. Hopefully ASU will take care of Vermin and we can have a good battle for #1 in the SoCon either for Halloween or in a few weeks. Go APPS!

CamelCityAppFan
October 23rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
I believe Wofford might can beat Elon; on the other hand, if Elon scores more points than Wofford, they might can win as well.

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
The influx of Elon fans=reincarnated San Diego Toreros fans xcoffeex

That might can be true.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM

You beat me to it! Maybe that Elon feller should start a blog entitled "Any Given English Class". Personally, I prefer this one about football.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I believe Wofford might can beat Elon; on the other hand, if Elon scores more points than Wofford, they might can win as well.

Brilliant!

OL FU
October 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM

I think it might simply be called southern dialect. xrolleyesx

Or this might be called a useless postxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

phoenix3
October 23rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
Luuk. I is right with Mr. Tom. Its good that hes skoolin yall in the finer points of grammer. He just for got where he was postin at.

Elon hangs on to win 30 - 27.

elon77
October 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM

ah yes. or yas sur.:D

OLDMAIN80
October 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM

Too late..............elontom is a prick. I realize I have less than 1k posts so the newbie mantle still applies to me too.

I'll stick with the prediction I have posted ...Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Too late..............elontom is a prick. I realize I have less than 1k posts so the newbie mantle still applies to me too.

I'll stick with the prediction I have posted ...Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

xlolx I like the prediction. Who knows, it might can happen. xlolx I'll pull for the puppies now just because of that pick. xthumbsupx

elon77
October 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
xlolx I like the prediction. Who knows, it might can happen. xlolx I'll pull for the puppies now just because of that pick. xthumbsupx

All schools have a few PICKS ??? I would bet that ASU has one or two themselves.xeyebrowx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Luuk. I is right with Mr. Tom. Its good that hes skoolin yall in the finer points of grammer. He just for got where he was postin at.

Elon hangs on to win 30 - 27.

It's "jist" to you learned people. If you're gonna make fun of someone, do it right! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

DLS
October 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
All schools have a few PICKS ??? I would bet that ASU has one or two themselves.xeyebrowx

no they dont and anyone who says otherwise is a pick.

phoenix3
October 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
It's "jist" to you learned people. If you're gonna make fun of someone, do it right! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

elon77
October 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
no they dont and anyone who says otherwise is a pick.

But, which school has the bigger picks? This could be a new thread.xconfusedx

lizrdgizrd
October 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
The influx of Elon fans=reincarnated San Diego Toreros fans xcoffeex

That might can be true.

Except they're team rilly play tuff competition. :D xlolx

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM

No Appalachian has a few douchebags, not picks. Only a pick would predict the puppies to win by 21, that's why I should pull for them. xeyebrowx

appmaj
October 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Wofford 17
Elon 14

Weather is going to slow this thing down.

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
A football board where English is the primary language, correct?

"might can" xnonox

Come on man.....talk football.

elon77
October 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
No Appalachian has a few douchebags, not picks. Only a pick would predict the puppies to win by 21, that's why I should pull for them. xeyebrowx

ah, douchebags and picks, I see.xeyebrowx

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
ah, douchebags and picks, I see.xeyebrowx

Yup, I didn't mean to use the xeyebrowx I meant to use the xlolx. oh well

AlphaSigMD
October 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM

I disagree. Your ignorance is frightfully disturbing.

1. "I might can some tomatoes on Saturday."

It might make you Italian, but it certainly doesn't make you a hick. xwhistlex

2. "Would you like to can some peaches on Saturday."

That would just be tasty. xthumbsupx

3. To can xsmiley_wix
http://www.maryschwalm.com/blog/toucan.jpg

GreatAppSt
October 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM

elonker D-baggery displayed for all.xnonono2x xoopsx xwhistlex

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

gsugt1
October 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I think Elon loses to Wofford and App.