Benedict (DII) 42-3
Bethune-Cookman 28-19
@ Winston-Salem 43-17
@Florida A&M 28-21
Norfolk State 24-23

Losses:
Central Florida (FBS) 17-0 :(
Clemson (FBS) 54-0 xnonono2x

If South Carolina State knocks off Hampton this weekend, and both teams win their remaining games. Does a 10-2 Hampton warrant consideration for an at-large bid?

I don't think that SCSU is good enough for an at-large with a loss to the Pirates but Hampton's resume possibly is even with a loss to the Bulldogs. xnodx

Input welcome.

Big Dawg
October 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
You're kind of forgetting about FAMU. We could very well run the table, including a victory over Hampton, and finsih 10-2.

That would be 2 wins against nationally ranked teams(3 if SU actually can crack the Top 25 before the playoffs start) this season for the Rattlers...and Hampton is only playing 11 games this season, which also might hurt them.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
You're kind of forgetting about FAMU. We could very well run the table, including a victory over Hampton, and finsih 10-2.

That would be 2 wins against nationally ranked teams(3 if SU actually can crack the Top 25 before the playoffs start) this season for the Rattlers...and Hampton is only playing 11 games this season, which also might hurt them.

We're the thorn in FAMU's side...xlolx

Hampton beat us, you guys lost. In overtime, but FAMU's only hope right now is that SC State wins, and DSU loses in Orangeburg next week, because just thinking about the tie-break scenarios makes my head hurt. xlolx

But for arguments sake,

Florida A&M

Wins
Alabama State 30-20
@ Howard 51-24
@ Tennessee State 28-21
Winston-Salem 23-0
@Southern 52-49

Losses:
@ Delaware State 35-28 OT
South Carolina State 28-21

Is this at-large worthy? Comments welcome.

Big Dawg
October 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
We're the thorn in FAMU's side...xlolx

Hampton beat us, you guys lost. In overtime, but FAMU's only hope right now is that SC State wins, and DSU loses in Orangeburg next week, because just thinking about the tie-break scenarios makes my head hurt. xlolx

But for arguments sake,

Florida A&M

Wins
Alabama State 30-20
@ Howard 51-24
@ Tennessee State 28-21
Winston-Salem 23-0
@Southern 52-49

Losses:
@ Delaware State 35-28 OT
South Carolina State 28-21

Is this at-large worthy? Comments welcome.

If Hampton was to win on Saturday and we were to defeat Hampton, I beleive that we would have a stronger case.

If Curtis Pulley would've played the entire 2nd half for the Rattlers against DSU, we would be in a great position...LOL

danefan
October 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I just don't see the MEAC getting an at-large. Its not impossible, but the lack of great OOC wins will hurt whatever team does not win the AQ.

IMO, that fact combined with the likelihood of a lot of power conference teams bunched at the top, and Del State's absymal performance against Delaware last year will likely preclude a MEAC at-large this year.

Plus, while Hampton and SC State are getting some poll love, they aren't getting any GPI love (similar to the MEAC as a conference):

11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.66)
42. Hampton (36.38)
44. S Carolina St (37.50)
60. Florida A&M (46.38)
72T. Delaware St (54.75)
76. Bethune-Cookman (56.25)
87. Morgan St (63.25)
91. Norfolk St (66.50)
111. Howard (80.00)
117. W Salem St (82.75)
118T. NC A&T (82.88)

th0m
October 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Low GPI/rankings combined with lack of recent playoff success points to no at-large bid IMO.

WrenFGun
October 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'd agree. It'd be tough to consider a two FCS loss Hampton or a 3 loss SC State as an at-large, even if two of those losses are to FBS teams.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I just don't see the MEAC getting an at-large. Its not impossible, but the lack of great OOC wins will hurt whatever team does not win the AQ.

IMO, that fact combined with the likelihood of a lot of power conference teams bunched at the top, and Del State's absymal performance against Delaware last year will likely preclude a MEAC at-large this year.

Plus, while Hampton and SC State are getting some poll love, they aren't getting any GPI love (similar to the MEAC as a conference):

11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.66)
42. Hampton (36.38)
44. S Carolina St (37.50)
60. Florida A&M (46.38)
72T. Delaware St (54.75)
76. Bethune-Cookman (56.25)
87. Morgan St (63.25)
91. Norfolk St (66.50)
111. Howard (80.00)
117. W Salem St (82.75)
118T. NC A&T (82.88)

In that case FAMU would be in the best position for that, they cannot win the MEAC now unless the teams ahead of them meltdown but an at-large is possible if these things happen.

1) Tennessee State wins the OVC
2) Southern wins out and wins the SWAC West. (Losses would be only to Houston (FBS), Tennessee State, and FAMU)
3) SC State beats Hampton convincingly
4) SC State beats DSU convincingly
5) FAMU wins out and beats Hampton convincingly
6) SC State wins the MEAC outright.

So it is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
If Hampton was to win on Saturday and we were to defeat Hampton, I beleive that we would have a stronger case.

If Curtis Pulley would've played the entire 2nd half for the Rattlers against DSU, we would be in a great position...LOL

I agree with you on that. xlolx

Big Dawg
October 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah FAMU could actually be in the Top 25 by time the Hampton games comes along, assuming we beat NSU, MSU, and NCA&T. A win over Hampton would definitely give us some help in the polls. Again as DSURocks said, that DSU loss REALLY hurts our chances.

We also don't know what could happen in the rest of the FCS world. Anything is possible.

Big Dawg
October 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
In that case FAMU would be in the best position for that, they cannot win the MEAC now unless the teams ahead of them meltdown but an at-large is possible if these things happen.

1) Tennessee State wins the OVC
2) Southern wins out and wins the SWAC West. (Losses would be only to Houston (FBS), Tennessee State, and FAMU)
3) SC State beats Hampton convincingly
4) SC State beats DSU convincingly
5) FAMU wins out and beats Hampton convincingly
6) SC State wins the MEAC outright.

So it is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible.

But let's say BCU doesn't lose another game, they beat Hampton, and we beat BCU...would that help our case or would it hurt it?

danefan
October 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah FAMU could actually be in the Top 25 by time the Hampton games comes along, assuming we beat NSU, MSU, and NCA&T. A win over Hampton would definitely give us some help in the polls. Again as DSURocks said, that DSU loss REALLY hurts our chances.

We also don't know what could happen in the rest of the FCS world. Anything is possible.

That's the key and IMO the only way any of the lower conferences (MEAC, OVC, PL, Big South, NEC, PFL) have any shot of even being considered for an at-large is if the CAA, SoCon, SLC, Big Sky and MVFC beat up on each other and knock some of the strong teams below the 7 DI win mark.

That would open up a world of possibilities, similar to how it happened last year and allowed a weak OVC at-large to happen.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
But let's say BCU doesn't lose another game, they beat Hampton, and we beat BCU...would that help our case or would it hurt it?

Hurt it definately, because that would diminish your (potential) victory over Hampton since they play the week before the FAMU game, and also when looking at the "weaker" schedule of BCU. (ASU and SSU)

So Hampton would have to have beaten BCU for FAMU to be considered...

R.A.
October 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
If FAMU goes 10-2, they will make the playoffs... count on it.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Hampton's big mistake was only scheduling 11 games this year. :(
I think the the MEAC should mandate a 12 game schedule for all members if possible.

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
If FAMU goes 10-2, they will make the playoffs... count on it.

Do you think a 10-2 FAMU makes it over any 8-3 team from any major conference? I'd strongly disagree. Look at the body of work.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Do you think a 10-2 FAMU makes it over any 8-3 team from any major conference? I'd strongly disagree. Look at the body of work.

That all depends on who those 8-3 teams are...

There are too many variables and as of right now the only bad loss on A&Ms schedule is DSU. And DSU could very well win the MEAC this year.

danefan
October 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hampton's big mistake was only scheduling 11 games this year. :(
I think the the MEAC should mandate a 12 game schedule for all members if possible.

No need to worry, this is the only year there will be 12 games. This calendar allowed for 13 saturdays during the regular season. Next year its back to 11 game schedules for good, especially considering playoff expansion is in 2010.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
No need to worry, this is the only year there will be 12 games. This calendar allowed for 13 saturdays during the regular season. Next year its back to 11 game schedules for good, especially considering playoff expansion is in 2010.

Sucks for this year tho, just as long as it stays consistent. xthumbsupx Its like playing with one hand behind your back

danefan
October 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sucks for this year tho, just as long as it stays consistent. xthumbsupx Its like playing with one hand behind your back

There's positives and negatives to both 11 and 12 game schedules. A lot of 12 game schedules were filled with DII teams, which are worthless when it comes to playoff selection, except of course if you lose.

I'm not sure how the committee is going to look at it. It could make for some really interesting teams being taken or left out and for some really interesting discussion around here. We'll likely really have no clue why they picked the teams they picked. Especially if you have an 8-3 versus 8-4 or 9-3 versus 8-3 team.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
There's positives and negatives to both 11 and 12 game schedules. A lot of 12 game schedules were filled with DII teams, which are worthless when it comes to playoff selection, except of course if you lose.

I'm not sure how the committee is going to look at it. It could make for some really interesting teams being taken or left out and for some really interesting discussion around here. We'll likely really have no clue why they picked the teams they picked. Especially if you have an 8-3 versus 8-4 or 9-3 versus 8-3 team.

The Selection Committee will have a lot on their hands the way this season has been going.

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
MEAC won't get two teams in unless there's lots of upheaval and beating up on other teams at the end of the season that keeps teams above them in the GPI from making it...

The MEAC has been deserving of two teams in the past, but not this year.

WileECoyote06
October 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
MEAC won't get two teams in unless there's lots of upheaval and beating up on other teams at the end of the season that keeps teams above them in the GPI from making it...

The MEAC has been deserving of two teams in the past, but not this year.

Not always all about GPI. If FAMU goes 10 - 2 and SCSU wins the MEAC; they are in as an at-large.

The selection committee would be hard pressed to ignore the gate that FAMU and its legion of fans would bring.

danefan
October 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Not always all about GPI. If FAMU goes 10 - 2 and SCSU wins the MEAC; they are in as an at-large.

The selection committee would be hard pressed to ignore the gate that FAMU and its legion of fans would bring.

You're right, its not about the GPI. But FAMU has no resume that deserves an at-large.

What strong wins would they have? No MEAC win would be considered a strong win. And they have a horrible loss to a Del State.

Put that up against a 9-3 (or 8-3) CAA team with an FBS loss and two CAA losses to teams in the playoffs and there's no real decision for the committee.

Picks aren't generally made because of crowds. Home games are, for sure. But selections aren't.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
You're right, its not about the GPI. But FAMU has no resume that deserves an at-large.

What strong wins would they have? No MEAC win would be considered a strong win. And they have a horrible loss to a Del State.

Put that up against a 9-3 (or 8-3) CAA team with an FBS loss and two CAA losses to teams in the playoffs and there's no real decision for the committee.

Picks aren't generally made because of crowds. Home games are, for sure. But selections aren't.

So a win over the (potential) OVC champs at a neutral site holds no bearing for FAMU? xconfusedx

And plus whoever gets a win over Hampton whether SC State or FAMU will get the rub of the Pirates strong showing in Carbondale earlier this season. We may not have many OOC wins outside of the SWAC and some terrible losses by some of our bottom-feeders (xnonono2x @ Howard) but as long as Hampton, SC State and FAMU stay to form as the "top-tier" of the MEAC. FAMU best (and only) chance at an at-large would be if the Bulldogs go undefeated in conference (losses only to FBS teams), DSU to finish 4-1 (losing in Orangeburg), Central Connecticut State wins the NEC (to offset the DSU loss), and Hampton finishes 3rd with losses to SCSU and FAMU. This is the only scenario.

B&G
October 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
The problem is the OVC is the only conference that rivals the MEAC's playoff woes. So I don't think a win over the OVC champ is looked at as anything more than a nice win. Certainly it doesn't "make" their resume. Unfortunately this looks like a year with about 13-15 teams making valid cases for the at-large bids. Maybe in a down season the MEAC squads would have a chance but this year I'd say the chances are miniscule.

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Georgia Southern beat 3 conference champions last year and didn't make the playoffs.......GEORGIA SOUTHERN....

And you think a MEAC team will make it in as an at large??

Pffft

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Georgia Southern beat 3 conference champions last year and didn't make the playoffs.......GEORGIA SOUTHERN....

Pffft

What was GSU's final record??? Oh yeah, that's right...7-4

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Also history shows that whenever the MEAC has two teams in the playoffs, one of them has advanced past the 1st round...also the team that advanced in the playoffs from the MEAC, advanced as an AT LARGE BID...hmmm...

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Pffft

GSU lost to a 2-9 Chatty team that year, AT HOME xnonono2x
FAMU doesn't have those kind of losses on their schedule...DSU maybe, but they're still in contention for the conference title and SC State is the potential MEAC champs...the Mocs are....well....the Mocs.xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
What was GSU's final record???

7-4 (4-3 in conference)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=290&year=2007

They cried about getting left out of the playoffs too...thats when all the talk about taking away the MEAC AQ started. xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
You guys are really wasting your time with this thread. After the pounding DSU got from UD in the playoffs last year, the MEAC is fortunate to have the 1 bid they get.

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
GSU lost to a 2-9 Chatty team that year, AT HOME xnonono2x
FAMU doesn't have those kind of losses on their schedule...DSU maybe, but they're still in contention for the conference title and SC State is the potential MEAC champs...the Mocs are....well....the Mocs.xwhistlex

Well I can't change the fact that Foster couldn't hold on to the football that game even if it suddenly changed into a large breasted woman throwing herself at him.

However, we beat SDSU (conf champ) at home, Wofford (AQ, SoCon Champ) and App State (Defending national champ, Socon Champ) on the road and also came within 6 inches of winning the conference outright.

Does FAMU have anything remotely resembling that resume?

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
You guys are really wasting your time with this thread. After the pounding DSU got from UD in the playoffs last year, the MEAC is fortunate to have the 1 bid they get.

One problem...FAMU, Hampton, and SCSU don't give a damn...xcoffeex :)

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

Also the trips to the woodshed for MEAC teams facing SoCon teams in the first round the last few times should make it pretty obvious that they are really lucky to be in the playoffs. But hey, if the committee wants to keep giving the SoCon a first round bye I guess we can't complain.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
One problem...FAMU, Hampton, and SCSU don't give a damn...xcoffeex :)

...but your participation in this thread shows you do care.

How about Hampton getting a seed in 2005 to only get throttled at home by Richmond? We could really go on and on with this.

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well I can't change the fact that Foster couldn't hold on to the football that game even if it suddenly changed into a large breasted woman throwing herself at him.

However, we beat SDSU (conf champ) at home, Wofford (AQ, SoCon Champ) and App State (Defending national champ, Socon Champ) on the road and also came within 6 inches of winning the conference outright.

Does FAMU have anything remotely resembling that resume?

But you lost some costly games...

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Also the trips to the woodshed for MEAC teams facing SoCon teams in the first round the last few times should make it pretty obvious that they are really lucky to be in the playoffs. But hey, if the committee wants to keep giving the SoCon a first round bye I guess we can't complain.

Actually FAMU beat Appy State 44-29 in 1999 and then lost to GSU(a year in which we SHOULDN'T have made the playoffs but SOMEHOW won the MEAC...but I would love for whoever plays a MEAC squad in the playoffs look at it as a bye.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM

xcoffeex

If thats the case then I dont want to see McNeese in the playoffs ever again...or seeded for that matter...

Eastern Washington 44, (2) McNeese State (11-1) 15

I mean damn, one bad game against the national runner-up and now our conference as a whole sucks? Figures....xnonono2x

See what I'm talking about TT? "Public Perception"

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM

How about Hampton getting a seed in 2005 to only get throttled at home by Richmond? We could really go on and on with this.

Yeah we can also talk about how we're undefeated at home in the playoffs and took out Troy State and Appalachian St. on the road in back to back weekends...and I was actually saying that we don't care how bad DSU got beat...we're not DSU

Now if we lose this weekend, you can offically scratch us off of the at large bid list...and that would be finexcoolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah we can also talk about how we're undefeated at home in the playoffs and took out Troy State and Appalachian St. on the road in back to back weekends...and I was actually saying that we don't care how bad DSU got beat...we're not DSU

Now if we lose this weekend, you can offically scratch us off of the at large bid list...and that would be finexcoolx

You're not on the list. No need to scratch.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
xcoffeex

If thats the case then I dont want to see McNeese in the playoffs ever again...or seeded for that matter...

Eastern Washington 44, (2) McNeese State (11-1) 15

I mean damn, one bad game against the national runner-up and now our conference as a whole sucks? Figures....xnonono2x

See what I'm talking about TT? "Public Perception"

One bad game? I'm not even going to waste my time providing a comparison between McNeese and Delaware State.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM

Agreed

I guess reading is fundamental to ONLY some people...the key word of this thread is "opportunity". We're not saying that the MEAC should get two bids, but that there could be the possibility of a second bid if things fall into place.

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
You're not on the list. No need to scratch.

You might be suprised...and if we do make it, I hope we play you guys first...xnodx

Bsides we know the chances are SLIM...we've already said that.

bigchocolate
October 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM

This is 2008 not 2007!!! Delware was in the finals in 2007...will they be in Chatt in 2008? I don't think so..... team get better and teams get worse. Mcneese got and I quote you "throttled" in the playoffs in 2007...does that mean they don't deserve to make it in 2008...Not! At season's end in 2007 Delware had a monster squad...Getting beaten by them is nothing to be ashamed of. As I stated in earlier threads, Del State won the MEAC conference in 2007 but they were probably the 3rd best team in the MEAC in 2007 at the end of the season. If the field is seeded with 3 to 4 representative from any conference, elementary stats tell me the probability of teams winning is increased dramatically if you only count wins. I only hear about the many wins of different conferences...how about all the loses! If you look at the percentage of win verses games played since the playoff system was started you may be suprised and the numbers.

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Agreed

I guess reading is fundamental to ONLY some people...the key word of this thread is "opportunity". We're not saying that the MEAC should get two bids, but that there could be the possibility of a second bid if things fall into place.

That's a big damn if.

If you don't want to feel alone, I can start a thread saying IF GSU wins out they can make the playoffs....and I'll get blasted for it.

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
One bad game? I'm not even going to waste my time providing a comparison between McNeese and Delaware State.

Where I come from, an azz whoopin is an azz whoopin...McNeese is not exempt...and that is not a shot at McNeese.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM

Any others you care to name, since you are so familiar with our team?
Or is it such a "waste of your time"

We won the MEAC
Played UD
Lost badly
UD goes to the championship game

Thats what went down, unless you are insinuating that UD was a bad team last year...because thats what it sound like to me...

"The MEAC is so bad that their champ DSU lost to UD IN NEWARK."
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...since I have "no idea what I'm talking about" xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
You might be suprised...and if we do make it, I hope we play you guys first...xnodx

Bsides we know the chances are SLIM...we've already said that.

I hope we play you also. Unfortunately we won't be the top seed in the tournement and you won't be in the playoffs. In fact, I may not be either!

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Any others you care to name, since you are so familiar with our team?
Or is it such a "waste of your time"

We won the MEAC
Played UD
Lost badly
UD goes to the championship game

Thats what went down, unless you are insinuating that UD was a bad team last year...because thats what it sound like to me...

"The MEAC is so bad that their champ DSU lost to UD IN NEWARK."
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...since I have "no idea what I'm talking about" xcoffeex

No judgement on UD. Plenty of high school teams could have lost to UD in Newark last November. They just didn't get the opportunity.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
That's a big damn if.

If you don't want to feel alone, I can start a thread saying IF GSU wins out they can make the playoffs....and I'll get blasted for it.

Not at all, because unlike last season. GSU doesn't have any bad losses just to (at the time) No. 1 team in FBS and the current No. 2, 3, and 4 teams respectfully in FCS. And you could have definitely beaten Elon and App State. In fact, I'll say it for you....

If Georgia Southern wins out they deserve to be in the playoffs!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
No judgement on UD. Plenty of high school teams could have lost to UD in Newark last November. They just didn't get the opportunity.

xconfusedx

So Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois are high school teams now? Keep on digging my friend xwhistlex

We can keep going if you like but I rather not have this end up in the Smack Thread xrulesx

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
xconfusedx

So Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois are high school teams now? Keep on digging my friend xwhistlex

We can keep going if you like but I rather not have this end up in the Smack Thread xrulesx

You're right. Trying to talk sense into you is clearly wasted effort.

I'm done.

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Agreed

AFTERAH LAST YEARS..MEAC AUTO-BID......PERFORMANCE...DUH MEAC....WILL BE LUCKY......TA EVEN GET........AN AUTO.....xwhistlex......AWK!

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
You're right. Trying to talk sense into you is clearly wasted effort.

I'm done.

You make perfect sense BHCE, I just don't agree with you on this subject.

Sorry, it happens xpeacex

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
AFTERAH LAST YEARS..MEAC AUTO-BID......PERFORMANCE...DUH MEAC....WILL BE LUCKY......TA EVEN GET........AN AUTO.....xwhistlex......AWK!

Should they take away the SLC AQ too?

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
There's over 20 team that can currently make a claim to an at-large. So FAMU's chances are pretty slim. But there's always a chance. xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
ELIMINATE MEAC....SLC...AUTO'S.........ENTERAH.....TWO MO'......CAA'S...........DOODLE-DOO!

R.A.
October 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Anyone that thinks that a 10-2 Joe Taylor coached team will be sitting at home during the playoffs is crazy.

To top it off, it's not just a Joe Taylor 10-2 team, it's FAMU!

Kid yourself if you want, if the Rattlers get 10 wins this regular season, a 10-2 FAMU team will make the 2008 playoffs.

People, go look at your history!!

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/florida_a&m/yearly_results.php?year=1995

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/florida_a&m/yearly_results.php?year=2000

roTSU50
October 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
you recognize all that happened almost 10 years ago. I just don't see the relevance.

Also, how much has FCS changed over the past 10 years(it changed names for God's Sake)???

Teams have change, Conferences has changed.

In terms of getting at large for FAMU, I am not sure what that history means now.

Anyone that thinks that a 10-2 Joe Taylor coached team will be sitting at home during the playoffs is crazy.

To top it off, it's not just a Joe Taylor 10-2 team, it's FAMU!

Kid yourself if you want, if the Rattlers get 10 wins this regular season, a 10-2 FAMU team will make the 2008 playoffs.

People, go look at your history!!

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/florida_a&m/yearly_results.php?year=1995

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/florida_a&m/yearly_results.php?year=2000

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Should they take away the SLC AQ too?

SLC has been in the stink since 2006. The two years prior to that, we had semifinalists back to back years (SHSU in 2004 and TXST in 2006). In fact, SHSU with three Div I playoff wins since 2001 have three more during that period than the MEAC and OVC combined.

And R.A -- you are a solid poster, but a 10-2 FAMU team is going to have some problems getting in...they're on the bubble. You see that GPI? Both for FAMU and the MEAC?

R.A.
October 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
you recognize all that happened almost 10 years ago. I just don't see the relevance.

Also, how much has FCS changed over the past 10 years(it changed names for God's Sake)???

Teams have change, Conferences has changed.

In terms of getting at large for FAMU, I am not sure what that history means now.

"The names may change, but the game remains the same"... ever heard that quote before?

R.A.
October 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
SLC has been in the stink since 2006. The two years prior to that, we had semifinalists back to back years (SHSU in 2004 and TXST in 2006). In fact, SHSU with three Div I playoff wins since 2001 have three more during that period than the MEAC and OVC combined.

And R.A -- you are a solid poster, but a 10-2 FAMU team is going to have some problems getting in...they're on the bubble. You see that GPI? Both for FAMU and the MEAC?

I'm not saying that they aren't on the bubble. I'm just saying that their bubble won't burst if the Rattlers win 10 games... that's all.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm not saying that they aren't on the bubble. I'm just saying that their bubble won't burst if the Rattlers win 10 games... that's all.

FAMU better get some help from friends then...or that bubble will burst. The GPI of the conference is pretty down this year. If the pieces don't land as they need to, FAMU and Joe Taylor will be doing what Taylor's old (and perhaps current) nemesis at South Carolina State used to do...

Big Dawg
October 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM
FAMU better get some help from friends then...or that bubble will burst. The GPI of the conference is pretty down this year. If the pieces don't land as they need to, FAMU and Joe Taylor will be doing what Taylor's old (and perhaps current) nemesis at South Carolina State used to do...

We know it's not a given. All I'm saying is that when talking about at large bids, let's recognize that FAMU still has a shot as long as we don't lose another game. Hampton and SCSU both might make the playoffs depending on how things shape up throughout the FCS world.

R.A.
October 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Exactly Big Dawg.

IaaScribe
October 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
FAMU will need A LOT of help, even at 10-2. Very remote chance, at best.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
SCST beat Hampton in Spartansburg while FAMU escaped Norfolk State...well, that just made things interesting, did they not? Throw in Morgan State's 20-3 win over Delaware St if you want...

DSUrocks07
October 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
SCST beat Hampton in Spartansburg while FAMU escaped Norfolk State...well, that just made things interesting, did they not? Throw in Morgan State's 20-3 win over Delaware St if you want...

Tennessee St mailed it in against SW Missouri St xnonono2x ...that really hurts our chances.
SCSU still has to win out and FAMU has to CRUSH Morgan (nothing personal Bears) for the Rattlers to have a chance.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
FAMU has two conference losses at the end of the day...and after some of the things that have gone on (namely DelSt loss), looks like Hampton and South Carolina St are the only schools that have an argument for an at-large, which is even a stretch.

FAMU can beat Hampton, but that DelSt loss to Morgan St just hurt FAMU big-time...need the MEAC auto-bid to 'dance'...

R.A.
October 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
FAMU's loss to Del State is an overtime loss that happened Dover.

I feel like this will be one of those years for the MEAC at large to sneak in if the record is right... and FAMU at 10-2 still makes a strong case.

WrenFGun
October 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I strongly suspect that there is no second MEAC team with a better resume than any 8-3 or 8-4 major conference team, when it comes to it.

DSUrocks07
October 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I strongly suspect that there is no second MEAC team with a better resume than any 8-3 or 8-4 major conference team, when it comes to it.

And our lower tier teams losing to other conference's lower-tier teams does little to help our cause xbawlingx

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
And our lower tier teams losing to other conference's lower-tier teams does little to help our cause xbawlingx

On the bright side, no losses to the SWAC. If FAMU did not pull out that game in Baton Rouge last week, this would not even be a question...

The GPI will be interesting to see after the DelSt and Hampton losses...if FAMU is not top 40, they got too long a road to climb...

DSUrocks07
October 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
On the bright side, no losses to the SWAC. If FAMU did not pull out that game in Baton Rouge last week, this would not even be a question...

The GPI will be interesting to see after the DelSt and Hampton losses...if FAMU is not top 40, they got too long a road to climb...

Southern losing to Prairie View isn't going to help FAMU's GPI xsmhx

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Southern losing to Prairie View isn't going to help FAMU's GPI xsmhx

Not at all...FAMU needed to beat Delaware State. That's going to come back to haunt them...xnodx

R.A is sipping the good stuff if at this point, FAMU looks like an at-large. xsmhx

R.A.
October 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
We shall see TT.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It is not likely that a playoff contender will sniff a loss as bad as DSU, IMO.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
We shall see TT.

No MEAC in top 35 of Sagarin.

The deeper we get into the season, the more it looks like the MEAC needs teams to eliminate each other to have any chance...

Outside of digging into the Div I playoff graveyards and asking the 'Old Guard' about the past, only facts that prove why an 8-3 CAA or SoCon team will get picked over a 10-2 MEAC team are available...

Catmendue2
October 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
No MEAC in top 35 of Sagarin.

The deeper we get into the season, the more it looks like the MEAC needs teams to eliminate each other to have any chance...

Outside of digging into the Div I playoff graveyards and asking the 'Old Guard' about the past, only facts that prove why an 8-3 CAA or SoCon team will get picked over a 10-2 MEAC team are available...

I know Mcneese and SUSU aint gonna play in the playoffs this year. :D

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I know Mcneese and SUSU aint gonna play in the playoffs this year. :D

Yep, SLC does not get an at-large. We do not have an eligible clear favorite (thanks NCAA and your transition rules, which the SLC tried to change)

If UCA were eligible, I dare say the league would have gotten two teams in this year (especially if TXST wins out from here).

A shame that the SWAC is less than spectacular this year with just one OOC win against a Div I team or Prairie View with their solid mark would have gotten some bit of consideration...

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yep, SLC does not get an at-large. We do not have an eligible clear favorite (thanks NCAA and your transition rules, which the SLC tried to change)

If UCA were eligible, I dare say the league would have gotten two teams in this year (especially if TXST wins out from here).

A shame that the SWAC is less than spectacular this year with just one OOC win against a Div I team or Prairie View with their solid mark would have gotten some bit of consideration...
I don't see how that would have worked in the Panthers favor, IF Southern had beat FAMU (who is considered by some to have slim playoff hopes) and Tennessee St (who is also not a lock for the playoffs with a loss to SEMO). Unless PV played and beat Sam Houston (who loss to a "bad" Northwestern team) we still don't know where they would stand.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Got to think that WSSU, if they can hold on for the win at Hampton, will really spoil the MEAC's chance for an at-large as that'll be a bad loss for the Pirates, which will negatively impact FAMU, if the Rattlers can beat HU.

gr8ness97
November 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Got to think that WSSU, if they can hold on for the win at Hampton, will really spoil the MEAC's chance for an at-large as that'll be a bad loss for the Pirates, which will negatively impact FAMU, if the Rattlers can beat HU.

:D

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM
I think that the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats should really be considered for an at-large opportunity, if they are the winner of the FAMU AND BCU game on Saturday BCU is 8-2 (5-2) and on a four game win streak and if they win will finish 9-2 (6-2) With their only losses coming from SCSU 09-13-08 and a 20-26 L to DSU on 10-11-08.

The only reason they are not ranked is because of politics.
FCS Bases their Rankings on who a team played and lost IS B/S

24. North Dakota State 6-4
Bethune-Cookman (7 votes) 8-2 wtf

Imagine if the FBS DID THE SAME the USC GameCocks would be in the top twenty, because they only lost to:
at Vanderbilt 24-17
vs. Georgia 14-7
vs. Louisiana State 24-17
at Florida 56-6

and Boise State shouldn't be #9 because their conference is weaker.

POLITICS

xcoffeex

tingly
November 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM
B-C averages 60th place in 30+ ratings. They're lucky they got the 7 votes.

REALITY ;)

But polls aren't builts to reflect reality. They largely order a section in how long it's been since a loss.

tingly
November 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
B-C barely beat Howard and lost to Delaware State instead of clocking both. I'm amazed they got votes at all.

th0m
November 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
I know this will once again be swept under the large rug that is "politics" but the GPI ranking of Bethune-Cookman is a whopping #63, sandwiched by the last-place teams of the CAA Towson and URI. FAMU is doing slightly better at 57.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM
I know this will once again be swept under the large rug that is "politics" but the GPI ranking of Bethune-Cookman is a whopping #63, sandwiched by the last-place teams of the CAA Towson and URI. FAMU is doing slightly better at 57.

So your saying that just because a ranking says that BCU (8-2) is placed between teams Rhode Island (2-9, 0-7 CAA) & Towson (1-6) (3-8) that Bcu doesn't deserve a shot. They need to reconsider that ranking system a man made it and i promise you that it's not perfect.
Hey but what do i know man made segregation, look how that worked out.

xnonox

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM

B-CC has had a great season, and Wyatt should be in the talk for MEAC coach of the year. And it would be great if they were to get an at-large bid out of it.

Sadly, as much as it pains me to say it, but B-CC won't get an at large bid, their OOC schedule isn't good enough and the loss to DSU hurts more and more the worse we play (just like FAMU). Not to mention that with this being a 12-game year and B-CC playing 11 games doesn't help matters much. If the MEAC wants to get serious consideration for an at-large bid, it would take a coordinated effort by all of its membership to increase the strength of its OOC schedule. One way would be to fast track NCCU, WSSU, and Savannah State into the conference and get them off of our MEAC OOC schedules, opening up those dates to face more teams from other conferences. And it will also take one of our teams, (SC State this year), to make some noise in the tourney, on a regular basis. That would increase the stature of our conference and our GPI rating. That is the only way it will work. Polls are pointless (inbred bias), but NDSU is a poor example because we know that they have no shot at an at-large bid. We have to brow-beat these other schools to gain their respect.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
So your saying that just because a ranking says that BCU (8-2) is placed between teams Rhode Island (2-9, 0-7 CAA) & Towson (1-6) (3-8) that Bcu doesn't deserve a shot. They need to reconsider that ranking system a man made it and i promise you that it's not perfect.

xnonox

BCC's schedule

September 6 Alabama State (2-8) W
September 13 at South Carolina State (9-2) L
September 20 Savannah State (5-6) W
September 27 Norfolk State (4-7) W
October 4 at Morgan State (6-5) W
October 11 Delaware State (4-6) L
October 25 at Winston-Salem (3-7) W
November 1 North Carolina A&T (3-8) W
November 8 at Hampton (5-5) W
November 15 Howard (1-9) W
November 22 vs. Florida A&M* (8-3)

Just simple facts, this schedule isn't worthy of an at-large bid, just for the reason that outside of SCSU and FAMU, not of these teams have done well this season. No quality wins either. I would love to see them in there, but its not gonna happen xsmhx and if it did, teams such as UNH and Furman would have legitimate gripes.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
:D

and heres another reason. :(

th0m
November 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM

xnonox

Instead of answering your question, I'll reverse it. Just because Bethune-Cookman won 8 games, they deserve a shot? What about Liberty, or Dayton? I don't have the exact numbers here, but there is a whole slew of teams that won 8 games so far, and against teams with a better resume. None of which has anything to do with politics, or any form of segregation.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 07:06 AM
Instead of answering your question, I'll reverse it. Just because Bethune-Cookman won 8 games, they deserve a shot? What about Liberty, or Dayton? I don't have the exact numbers here, but there is a whole slew of teams that won 8 games so far, and against teams with a better resume. None of which has anything to do with politics, or any form of segregation.

And with my bachelors in one hand and my masters in the other i'll flip it right back at you, Yes they should be considered over some six or seven win teams, and not even be brought up among 2 and 3 win teams. Yes Liberty deserves a shot. But just in case you missed the first post before you brought up the sandwich between URI AND Towson I said if they end the season 9-2 yes they should at least be seriously considered. So is there politics involved? Someone who is brain-dead can answer that now can you? And yes the system does need to be twirked!!!
xcoolx

GOODY26
November 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
xpeacex As much as I would love for FAMU to make the playoff ,pass history tell me different. Unstill the Meac wins some qualitly games outside of the conference and win a few playoff games, all these conversations and comments are really moot points.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
xpeacex As much as I would love for FAMU to make the playoffs, pass history tell me different. Until the MEAC wins some quality games outside of the conference and win a few playoff games, all these conversations and comments are really moot points.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

this.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
xpeacex As much as I would love for FAMU to make the playoff ,pass history tell me different. Unstill the Meac wins some qualitly games outside of the conference and win a few playoff games, all these conversations and comments are really moot points.
This same statement can be applied in another thread. xreadx