PDA

View Full Version : Why does App have to play Furman/Ga. Sout

apppackdad
October 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Every year Appalachian has to play Furman/ Georgia Southern back to back. This year Georgia Southern had a bye week before playing App. and I believe it has happened before , but not sure. At any rate surely the Southern Conference SHOULD realize that these are the marquee matchups for the conference most years. In terns of fairness and coverage it would seem it would be wise to seperate them. Although it has not been too bad for App. lately. It seems to repeat in 2009!

ElonFirefighter
October 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
excluding this wear we have had a home game during fall break for 3 years in a row.

eaglewraith
October 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
In all fairness, App had a bye week before playing GSU last year and lost. GSU didn't and was suffering through the worst streak of injuries I've ever seen and would have loved a midseason bye week which was worked into the schedule this year.

GSU has typically not had a bye week during the season in the past. Prior to recent years when we've been doing renovations to our stadium, we took our bye at the end of the season so we could rest before the playoffs. The last two years we took the bye the first week so that renovations could be completed before crowds entered the stadium.

And anyway, what are you complaining about...you've won the last 3 NC's...evidently something is working.

Grizzaholic
October 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Every year Appalachian has to play Furman/ Georgia Southern back to back. This year Georgia Southern had a bye week before playing App. and I believe it has happened before , but not sure. At any rate surely the Southern Conference SHOULD realize that these are the marquee matchups for the conference most years. In terns of fairness and coverage it would seem it would be wise to seperate them. Although it has not been too bad for App. lately. It seems to repeat in 2009!

I wouldn't complain. I cannot remember if it was last year or the year before but a bunch of teams scheduled their bye weeks before they played the Griz. And that included MSU, the last game of the season.

apppackdad
October 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
I am not really complaining, especially given App's success the last few years. It just seens odd given the history of these programs success that it keeps happening. Can you imagine Ohio State or Michigan playing Penn State the week before their game. Maybe I'm naive,but it seems that the conference could do a little better in scheduling thes games. Maybe move them toward the end of the year ala Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida. Given the possible playoff implications I think it could make a difference.xeyebrowx

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
IIRC Ga. Southern used to always have a bye week before the playoffs started. That came in handy once upon a time...

SeattleGriz
October 21st, 2008, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't complain. I cannot remember if it was last year or the year before but a bunch of teams scheduled their bye weeks before they played the Griz. And that included MSU, the last game of the season.

I think it was two seasons ago. Something like 5 of the 8 conference games, the opponent had a bye week before playing the Griz.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
It's ok. Mickey Matthews said the Socon is easy.

yosef1969
October 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
ASU has had GSU, Furman and Wofford back to back to back for several years now. It's worked out okay the past 3 years although they went 1-2 in this stretch last year when it included the bye week. It has its negatives but it also lets the coaches know where they stand and what needs to be done to get into the playoffs over the last few weeks of the schedule.

appstate38
October 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
Well there are no easy conference games anymore. I don't know that it would help to spread them out. Plus it helps keep the team focused on the task at hand which is to beat the next opponent.

whoanellie
October 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
I am not really complaining, especially given App's success the last few years. It just seens odd given the history of these programs success that it keeps happening. Can you imagine Ohio State or Michigan playing Penn State the week before their game. Maybe I'm naive,but it seems that the conference could do a little better in scheduling thes games. Maybe move them toward the end of the year ala Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida. Given the possible playoff implications I think it could make a difference.xeyebrowx

dyk.....that Penn St played Michigan last week and Ohio St this week?
always something to address, eh?

elon77
October 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
It's ok. Mickey Matthews said the Socon is easy.

Every weeks a bye according to Mick.xnodx

apppackdad
October 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
After further review, I believe the biggest positive is preparing the team for the week to week grind of the playoffs.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Every weeks a bye according to Mick.xnodx

I'm just waiting for him to call a team a "cupcake". That will make my day. xlolx

Grizzaholic
October 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I heard that cupcakes were mentioned in this thread. Anybody got any?

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Sounds like complaints to me....
-Why does Elon ahve to play two long road trips in a row with The Citadel and UTC?
-Why did Elon have to play The Citadel away two years straight?
-the past couple of year, GSU has had to travel to Elon one weekend and then App the next. Two long road trips in a row???
-Why has Elon had so many home games during fall break when other schools haven't had that issue?

The computerized schedules aren't perfect and will never be. You're not going to make everyone happy.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
To quote some movie and a good friend of mine

"Someone call a whambulance":)

ERASU2113
October 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
If you wanted to go farther throw Wofford into the mix...too bad we have to play Chatty before Elon comes to town. Would be a fun four weeks.

For me, I love the GSU - Furman - Wofford stretch. Great football and no time to relax. Playoff preparation at its finest.

ASUMountaineer
October 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
It has been done for a long time. It also sets it up to have Vermin and GSU as the Black Saturday opponent each year at roughly the same point in the year/ season. Forget whatever West Carolina tells you, Vermin and GSU are our rivals and we know when we will play them each year.

Bull Fan
October 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
It sounds like whining to me ;) Hey, you're app state and can handle anything, no?

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
No big deal to me... App always has played GSU/Furman/Wofford in a row in mid October... always have always will... go win...

cmaxwellgsu
October 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
The league definitely loves it. To me, conference marquee matchups are right now in these next two weekends. We're actually a little bit of an anomaly having Furman so close to the end. Usually that part of the schedule is for OOC rivalries.

Borat
October 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
No big deal to me... App always has played GSU/Furman/Wofford in a row in mid October... always have always will... go win...

In 2007, App did not play them in a row in mid-October. The Wofford game was in September, and they played Elon before the GSU and Furman games, which were in October.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Sometimes the schedule just turns out unkind. We have to go to Elon and "The Rock" on back-to-back weekends. It is just something every school has to deal with sometimes, and winners find a way to overcome the obstacles placed in their path.