PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ Villanova

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Barber is all wrong with the title of his article "Mickey: I-AA Title On Line" Thats not what MM said or insinuated. What he said was "I think it's a game that, not only could this game cost us the conference championship, it could cost us the national championship," Matthews said, pointing to the importance of securing a home playoff game. "What we did in '04 is not going to happen. It had never happened before and I would guess it's never going to happen again. You're not going to go on the road and win the national championship."
Meaning lose this game, won't be seeded, get sent on the road (seeing how JMU it seems given its history the only way the committee will give JMU a home game is if JMU is a seed, then the committee would have to) which would kill JMU's chances of competing for an NC. And MM is exactly right. No team is going to win 3 straight playoff road games again and then win the NC. 4 straight road playoff games is just too difficult. JMU manage to do it in 04' with talent AND luck.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32499&CHID=3&sub=

jmu_duke07
October 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Barber is all wrong with the title of his article "Mickey: I-AA Title On Line" Thats not what MM said or insinuated. What he said was "I think it's a game that, not only could this game cost us the conference championship, it could cost us the national championship," Matthews said, pointing to the importance of securing a home playoff game. "What we did in '04 is not going to happen. It had never happened before and I would guess it's never going to happen again. You're not going to go on the road and win the national championship."
Meaning lose this game, won't be seeded, get sent on the road (seeing how JMU it seems given its history the only way the committee will give JMU a home game is if JMU is a seed, then the committee would have to) which would kill JMU's chances of competing for an NC. And MM is exactly right. No team is going to win 3 straight playoff road games again and then win the NC. 4 straight road playoff games is just too difficult. JMU manage to do it in 04' with talent AND luck.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32499&CHID=3&sub=

When is Barber ever right? He's such an ass when it comes to JMU Football. The only way he still has a job is because he knows how to press MM buttons.

GannonFan
October 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
(seeing how JMU it seems given its history the only way the committee will give JMU a home game is if JMU is a seed, then the committee would have to)

I declare shenanigans. Every year we have to hear about how JMU never gets a home game and the reason must be because the committee hates them and wants to screw them. Let's look at the history and see how true this is. Looking back to 1990 and since then (I think that only misses one other JMU playoff appearance so no biggie starting there - plus the 80's were just a weird time for I-AA):

1991 - JMU goes 8-3 regular season, gets sent on the road in Rd 1 (win), and then a home game for round 2 (loss). Seems fair for an 8-3 team.

1994 - goes 9-2 regular season and gets home playoff game Rd 1 (win), and gets sent to Marshall in Rd 2 (loss) - remember, everyone played at Marshall during the Marshall Invitational Years, no complaining there. Got the first round game at home. No complaining here.

1995 - goes 8-3 in the regular season and goes on the road in Rd 1 (loss).

1999 - goes 8-3 during regular season and goes on the road in Rd 1 (loss).

2004 - goes 9-2 during regular season and plays all the games on the road. However, only Rd 1 was against a non-seeded team (Furman was the #2 or #3 seed, correct?). And in Rd 1, JMU actually got outbid by Lehigh. Hard to really blame the committee on this one, JMU lowballed it and got burned.

2006 - goes 9-2 in the regular season and plays 1st round game at Youngstown (loss). Maybe the best case to be upset about something. Youngstown wasn't a seed (don't think they were) and JMU shouldn't have had to play them in the first round, but this wasn't the first time the committee had such a first round matchup - SIU/UD in '03 was even more agregious. So yeah, count this one.

2007 - goes 8-3 in the regular season and goes on the road (loss).

So out of the playoff years, since 1990, for JMU, if they go 8-3 they don't get a home playoff game, which is typical for most schools during that time. They got outbid by a Patriot League team one year (knock on JMU for that), and they screwed one year (2006). So all this angst for just one year of being screwed? Good thing you guys didn't have to play Marshall more than once in the '90's when that type of being unfairly treated was pretty common.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
I declare shenanigans. Every year we have to hear about how JMU never gets a home game and the reason must be because the committee hates them and wants to screw them. Let's look at the history and see how true this is. Looking back to 1990 and since then (I think that only misses one other JMU playoff appearance so no biggie starting there - plus the 80's were just a weird time for I-AA):

1991 - JMU goes 8-3 regular season, gets sent on the road in Rd 1 (win), and then a home game for round 2 (loss). Seems fair for an 8-3 team.

1994 - goes 9-2 regular season and gets home playoff game Rd 1 (win), and gets sent to Marshall in Rd 2 (loss) - remember, everyone played at Marshall during the Marshall Invitational Years, no complaining there. Got the first round game at home. No complaining here.

2004 - goes 9-2 during regular season and plays all the games on the road. However, only Rd 1 was against a non-seeded team (Furman was the #2 or #3 seed, correct?). And in Rd 1, JMU actually got outbid by Lehigh. Hard to really blame the committee on this one, JMU lowballed it and got burned.

2006 - goes 9-2 in the regular season and plays 1st round game at Youngstown (loss). Maybe the best case to be upset about something. Youngstown wasn't a seed (don't think they were) and JMU shouldn't have had to play them in the first round, but this wasn't the first time the committee had such a first round matchup - SIU/UD in '03 was even more agregious. So yeah, count this one.

So out of the playoff years, since 1990, for JMU, if they go 8-3 they don't get a home playoff game, which is typical for most schools during that time. They got outbid by a Patriot League team one year (knock on JMU for that), and they screwed one year (2006). So all this angst for just one year of being screwed? Good thing you guys didn't have to play Marshall more than once in the '90's when that type of being unfairly treated was pretty common.

EDIT: YSU was a seed, which lessens our argument for screwage.

I agree with the above. The only argument we've really got is the years we go 9-2 (even though record is not supposed to play into the decision, I think it does, and that's fine, actually preferable). Of those years, as GF said, we got outbid, then screwed (and even then YSU was a seed, so if they had already paired us, then our bid wouldn't have mattered).

GannonFan
October 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Record used to play a big part in it when they seeded 1 through 16 in the '90's. Of course, that was even manipulated too so it was far from the nirvana that some people think it would be. Forgot that YSU was a seed, but I would still give JMU the benefit of the doubt and say they got screwed that year. Just like SIU did 3 years before them (and I'm sure there's been other examples to other schools as well). I stand by it, though, JMU got screwed by the committee only once in the past two decades.

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Record used to play a big part in it when they seeded 1 through 16 in the '90's. Of course, that was even manipulated too so it was far from the nirvana that some people think it would be. Forgot that YSU was a seed, but I would still give JMU the benefit of the doubt and say they got screwed that year. Just like SIU did 3 years before them (and I'm sure there's been other examples to other schools as well). I stand by it, though, JMU got screwed by the committee only once in the past two decades.

The biggest screwed year would be I agree 06'. You had the #4 seed (YSU) playing the 5th highest ranked playoff team (JMU was ranked 6th in the polls, but #5 10-1 NDSU was ineligible for the playoffs). YSU got screwed too- a seed is not suppose to have to play a top 5/6 team in the 1st round.

potus#4
October 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
During the time period you analyze, JMU had 2 home games and 9 road games, not counting the NC game. So it's easy to see why some JMU fans feel picked on. And it's not just the fact that we're sent on the road, but where we're sent. After ending the season ranked 5th or 6th I think, we're sent to Ohio to face a seeded team in 2006 and then sent to play App St in 2007.

Personally, my complaint is not that I think JMU is singled out for special treatment by the selection committee, my problem is with the way the whole playoff system is set up. The current system isn't intended to be "fair," so it shouldn't be suprising when it's not.

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Who the HELL does JMU think they are? Montana? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Dukie95
October 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM
I don't agree with this notion that we're always getting screwed by the committee like it has a personal vendetta against the Dukes. The committee has been correctly following the geographic rules which haven't been working in our favor in the recent years.

The toughest part is when we see other CAA teams get the MEAC or Patriot league champs in the first round while we go to the #5 seed and the defending champs in consecutive years. Again, those are the rules, but they're just hard to stomach sometimes. Especially when we get all this grief for not having won a playoff game in some time...well we'd all like to have the Hamptons, Del States and Fordhams of the world in the first round.

*No slight intended to the MEAC or Patriot leagues, but I think we'd all agree those leagues aren't as tough as the MVC or SoCon

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I don't agree with this notion that we're always getting screwed by the committee like it has a personal vendetta against the Dukes. The committee has been correctly following the geographic rules which haven't been working in our favor in the recent years.

The toughest part is when we see other CAA teams get the MEAC or Patriot league champs in the first round while we go to the #5 seed and the defending champs in consecutive years. Again, those are the rules, but they're just hard to stomach sometimes. Especially when we get all this grief for not having won a playoff game in some time...well we'd all like to have the Hamptons, Del States and Amhersts of the world in the first round.

*No slight intended to the MEAC or Patriot leagues, but I think we'd all agree those leagues aren't as tough as the MVC or SoCon

ya why can't we open up against Del St grrrrr

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
ya why can't we open up against Del St grrrrr

Well...at least we know Delaware won't be there to suck up Del State this year! Aw, who am I kidding.....Delaware STATE ain't gonna be there either....looks like some East coast team gets the cupcake known as Hampton this year...

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM
Well...at least we know Delaware won't be there to suck up Del State this year! Aw, who am I kidding.....Delaware STATE ain't gonna be there either....looks like some East coast team gets the cupcake known as Hampton this year...

Hoping ..... xthumbsupx

alexale23
October 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
hampton is close to harrisonburg I been hoping all year. I think the spiders played em like 2 years ago.

GannonFan
October 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
And UD's had home games besides Del St - we did play SIU in '03 in a game that was an even worse screwing than the YSU/JMU game, we played Portland St in '00 when they were 2nd in the Big Sky and touting 2 Payton Award candidates, Hofstra in '97 when they were pretty highly ranked. Sure we got Lafayette in '04 but unlike JMU and a Patsy League team, we outbid them for the home game. And we've gone to lots of tough places for first round games - Marshall in '96, Montana in '93, Furman in '88. But we don't have lots of 8-3 years (all three of those years were 8-3 or worse) and that's the secret to not getting screwed by the committee.

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
And UD's had home games besides Del St - we did play SIU in '03 in a game that was an even worse screwing than the YSU/JMU game, we played Portland St in '00 when they were 2nd in the Big Sky and touting 2 Payton Award candidates, Hofstra in '97 when they were pretty highly ranked. Sure we got Lafayette in '04 but unlike JMU and a Patsy League team, we outbid them for the home game. And we've gone to lots of tough places for first round games - Marshall in '96, Montana in '93, Furman in '88. But we don't have lots of 8-3 years (all three of those years were 8-3 or worse) and that's the secret to not getting screwed by the committee.

Dont misunderstand, I'm not ragging on UD for it, I'm jealous. Plus I think it was hilarious all the pregame talk about "why wont UD ever schedule Del State, they are so racist" .... then it was a huge blowout, proving Del St didn't belong there and THAT is the reason they dont play regular season, haha.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
The biggest screwed year would be I agree 06'. You had the #4 seed (YSU) playing the 5th highest ranked playoff team (JMU was ranked 6th in the polls, but #5 10-1 NDSU was ineligible for the playoffs). YSU got screwed too- a seed is not suppose to have to play a top 5/6 team in the 1st round.

Wasn't UNH ranked #5 the year it was sent to the #4 seed GSU?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Wasn't UNH ranked #5 the year it was sent to the #4 seed GSU?

Yep! Another in the line of puzzling match-ups that GannonFan was alluding to. I remember hearing stuff like "wanting a quality game for ESPN" and "UNH had to fly so it didn't make any difference where or how far".

Hoyadestroya85
October 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Villanova needs to make the playoffs this year, or else i think our status in the CAA is in jeopardy

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Villanova needs to make the playoffs this year, or else i think our status in the CAA is in jeopardy

xeyebrowx

wideright82
October 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM

you can't say something like that with out a LITTLE more reasoning. Elaborate please. xconfusedx

OL FU
October 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Well since this is JMU @ Villanova and since I don't read every thread, what's the current situation for Villanova's QBs?

Hoyadestroya85
October 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
xeyebrowx

i think we go to non scholly if we don't show results soon, like as in the next 3 or 4 years.. we blow way too much money on football..

Hoyadestroya85
October 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well since this is JMU @ Villanova and since I don't read every thread, what's the current situation for Villanova's QBs?
Whitney has a first degree non throwing shoulder sprain.. They're gonna try to play him, but if he can't play, Antwon Young is more than capable...

Hoyadestroya85
October 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Whitney has a first degree non throwing shoulder sprain.. They're gonna try to play him, but if he can't play, Antwon Young is more than capable...

jlcharles
October 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM

Not a dislocated shoulder?

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM

C'MON...GRIZZWOLD LAD........DIS WHOLE BOARD WAS PUSHIN' FO' DAT GAME..&....EVERAH BEAT WRITERAH TA BOOT.......EVERAH PECKERHEAD....IN NEWARK.....TRIED TA TELL YA'S.....HOW UNWORTHY.....DUH HO'NETS WERE.......IN DESERVIN' DUH OP....O' TASTIN' DUH POLLEN.......ON TUBBY FIELD.....xnodx...........BRAWK!

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
C'MON...GRIZZWOLD LAD........DIS WHOLE BOARD WAS PUSHIN' FO' DAT GAME..&....EVERAH BEAT WRITERAH TA BOOT.......EVERAH PECKERHEAD....IN NEWARK.....TRIED TA TELL YA'S.....HOW UNWORTHY.....DUH HO'NETS WERE.......IN DESERVIN' DUH OP....O' TASTIN' DUH POLLEN.......ON TUBBY FIELD.....xnodx...........BRAWK!

and there were more than a couple of posters here.. who actually picked Del St to win the playoff game over UD.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I expect that Nova will beat JMU this week and it may not be all that close. Unless Landers can make some big plays in the passing game.. JMU will have trouble moving the ball. Nova's defense is very tough vs the run (Richmond just 83 yrds) and I seriously doubt that JMU will be able to consistantly move the ball.. without an effective passing game... and with Landers.. an effective passing game is always questionable.

Villanova 31 JMU 17

PurpleandGold
October 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
VU's run defense does scare me, but have they faced a team yet with the kind of running game JMU has? I honestly don't know. I've heard that Cassidy at URI is a runner, but I also heard the new coach was trying to get away from that. Even so, I don't think Cassidy is Landers, and URI sure isn't JMU. Plus Casey is out for them while we still have Holloman, Yancey, and Sullivan to mix things up. I don't know anything about Penn. Now that I think about it, playing WVU is probably good for them going into this game. Now I'm a bit more scared. Wish I hadn't just remembered that.

I think 'Nova will hold us to below our average running, but we'll get plenty. And Landers can throw when necessary. People just think he can't because with JMU, it's not often necessary.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I just skimmed the game notes for this one.

'Nova's going to be stacked next year, too!! xeekx

GannonFan
October 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think 'Nova will hold us to below our average running, but we'll get plenty. And Landers can throw when necessary. People just think he can't because with JMU, it's not often necessary.

It's not just that, plenty of us saw Landers in the last half of last year and he was not a good passer at all then. Granted, he was better than UD's current QB this year, but trust me, that's not saying much. Some JMU backers said he was injured and hence the inabilty to throw well, but it's not as if he's shown anything better this year so far.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Regarding the run defense. Does anybody know if JMU has faced another 3-3-5 team? I would think that this would require some more intricate reads from Landers on the choice play, but might give us a few more yards up the middle, depending on where the LBs disperse.

wideright82
October 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
VU's run defense does scare me, but have they faced a team yet with the kind of running game JMU has? I honestly don't know. I've heard that Cassidy at URI is a runner, but I also heard the new coach was trying to get away from that. Even so, I don't think Cassidy is Landers, and URI sure isn't JMU. Plus Casey is out for them while we still have Holloman, Yancey, and Sullivan to mix things up. I don't know anything about Penn. Now that I think about it, playing WVU is probably good for them going into this game. Now I'm a bit more scared. Wish I hadn't just remembered that.

WVU 22 attempts for 149 yards (6.77 yrd avg)
Lehigh 23 attempts for 38 yards (1.65 yrd avg)
UPenn 33 attempts for 110 yards (3.33 yrd avg)
Richmond 33 attempts for 83 yards (2.52 yrd avg)
W&M 22 attempts for 76 yards (3.45 yrd avg)
RI 28 attempts for 24 yards (0.86 yrd avg)

These are the run stats for Villanova's Defense thus far.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
It's not just that, plenty of us saw Landers in the last half of last year and he was not a good passer at all then. Granted, he was better than UD's current QB this year, but trust me, that's not saying much. Some JMU backers said he was injured and hence the inabilty to throw well, but it's not as if he's shown anything better this year so far.

I'll be the first to admit that Landers has some problems passing, but he is doing his thing this year. He hasn't thrown a pick since the ASU game and has thrown 5 TD passes the last two games. He's not throwing a lot, but when he throws he's accurate (I know, I know, the screen argument - but let's not forget how much the screen hurt Nova last year).

But, he's thrown TD passes of 47 yds (UMass), 35 yds. (ASU), and 49 yds. (Hofstra). Most of the others have been between 5-10 yds.

He's got a 62% completion percentage and is averaging 13.3 yds. per completion. Not eye-popping, but it's getting the job done.

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM

AH DON'T THINK...ROADRUNNER...WOULD GET YARDAGE...ON DIS...D...xsmhx.....BEEP BEEP!

PurpleandGold
October 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
When Richmond keyed on the run and we were forced to pass, Landers was 10 of 12 for 2 TDs. That's 83.3% completion and 16.6% of his attempts were TDs. Not too shabby.

I'll grant he's not the best pocket passer around, but he comes through in a pinch. I hope we don't get in a pinch but again, that run D is just plain scary.

JMU2004
October 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM

Cassidy has been out since he broke is leg early in the season. Ooops....I meant their stud fullback.,,,forget his name now.

jlcharles
October 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Cassidy has been out since he broke is leg early in the season.
Umm, do they have 2 QBs by the name of Cassidy?

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/game6.html

Anovafan
October 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Not a shocker, but Nova will try to shut down the JMU run game and force Landers to pass. Landers is a stud, man is he good. Maybe the best player in FCS, certainly top 2 with Armanti in my opinion. As he goes, so will JMU. If he scrambles and makes some plays, JMU will likely win. If Nova can keep him in the pocket and force him to pass, Nova has a shot at the upset. Nova needs to play a perfect game to win, defense, ball control offense and not make any mistakes in the special teams game. Talent wise, I think it is a pretty even match-up, which is the first time I have been able to say in several years. Nova closed the talent gap in the past few years. They should be a playoff contender this year and next year.

ur2k
October 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Regarding the run defense. Does anybody know if JMU has faced another 3-3-5 team? I would think that this would require some more intricate reads from Landers on the choice play, but might give us a few more yards up the middle, depending on where the LBs disperse.

Don't think there are many teams that run that type of defense at all. In our game against Nova, they had guys blitzing and getting pressure from many different angles which I think threw our offense completely off. They are a good team but so is Madison - this one can go either way.

How do the Nova fans feel about Young back under center? Whitney played great against us.

Maroon&White
October 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cassidy has been out since he broke is leg early in the season.

I believe Casey has been out since early this season.

19Duke97
October 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Not a shocker, but Nova will try to shut down the JMU run game and force Landers to pass. Landers is a stud, man is he good. Maybe the best player in FCS, certainly top 2 with Armanti in my opinion. As he goes, so will JMU. If he scrambles and makes some plays, JMU will likely win. If Nova can keep him in the pocket and force him to pass, Nova has a shot at the upset. Nova needs to play a perfect game to win, defense, ball control offense and not make any mistakes in the special teams game. Talent wise, I think it is a pretty even match-up, which is the first time I have been able to say in several years. Nova closed the talent gap in the past few years. They should be a playoff contender this year and next year.

How deep is the VU defense? Can you all rotate in 2 strings with little falloff? I think what JMU does very effectively is wear down a D, then we get yards in bunches in the late 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. See examples in Maine, Richmond, and App St. If you all have depth, it could spell trouble for JMU.

Anovafan
October 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
How deep is the VU defense? Can you all rotate in 2 strings with little falloff? I think what JMU does very effectively is wear down a D, then we get yards in bunches in the late 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. See examples in Maine, Richmond, and App St. If you all have depth, it could spell trouble for JMU.

Nova actually has too much depth on the so called front-7. DL and LBs a-plenty. They rotate on just about every play. I often sit amazed to see two of our best DL/LBs (Kukucka and Miller) on the sidelines on certain downs. But then again, it does keep them fresh and they have tended to play better in the 4th Q than in the 1st Q.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Don't think there are many teams that run that type of defense at all. In our game against Nova, they had guys blitzing and getting pressure from many different angles which I think threw our offense completely off. They are a good team but so is Madison - this one can go either way.

How do the Nova fans feel about Young back under center? Whitney played great against us.

That's what makes me think that Landers will have to be at the top of his game, decision wise, when he's deciding whether to keep it or give it to a back.

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
there is only one other team i can think of that runs this defense, and it's WVU... i think there could only be 2 or 3 total TDs in this game

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Good news out of Harrisonburg. Looks like our backup LB (starter now?) has been cleared to play.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32549&CHID=3&sub=

jlcharles
October 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Good news out of Harrisonburg. Looks like our backup LB (starter now?) has been cleared to play.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32549&CHID=3&sub=

That just does not sound like a good life choice for the guy. I mean, I'm no doctor or anything, but him playing sounds dangerous for not only his future playing life, but life after football. I personally wouldn't be messing around with neck injuries and rushing back to play.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
That just does not sound like a good life choice for the guy. I mean, I'm no doctor or anything, but him playing sounds dangerous for not only his future playing life, but life after football. I personally wouldn't be messing around with neck injuries and rushing back to play.

If the MRI only showed bulging discs and UVa said it was okay, I think he's fine. But, at the same time, you can never be too careful about those things.

Tough call when you're 19 and supposed to have 30 or so people there for you, and I'm sure nobody up there in Harrisonburg is discouraging him from playing.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Mickey has called out as being a LOT of things but risking a players career is NOT one of them. If Matthews has any doubt about the player he will not let the kid play. Matthews has a history of talking to the doctors and the player's families personally before he ever makes his decision (taking into note Mick's own personal feelings based on the doctors analysis).

19Duke97
October 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Mickey has called out as being a LOT of things but risking a players career is NOT one of them. If Matthews has any doubt about the player he will not let the kid play. Matthews has a history of talking to the doctors and the player's families personally before he ever makes his decision (taking into note Mick's own personal feelings based on the doctors analysis).

yeah after what his son went through, I think MM is very conscientious of things in this matter. I doubt he would put a kid's life or even health behind a football game.

alexale23
October 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
JMU 69

NOVA 0

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
JMU 69

NOVA 0

You know what.. why don't you just make that 109-0?

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
You know what.. why don't you just make that 109-0?

At his age, the number 69 is HILARIOUS!!!!

(Okay, I giggle when I type it, too :D )

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
JMU 69

NOVA 0

WOW.....JES' THINK WHAT DUH SCORE....WOULD BE......WHIFF OUT DUH 40 SECOND TICKER.....xconfusedx............AWK!

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

The key to wearing a defense down.. is keeping that 'D' on the field. If JMU can't establish their running game.. Nova's defense won't have to worry about being worn down.

JmuSkinsfan
October 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
JMU: 24
Nova: 21

GoBlueHens83
October 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Nova: 31
JMU: 28

Should be a great game, but I think Nova gets the W.

jlcharles
October 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM

I'm just in the boat that you don't mess with neck/head injuries. A kid in jersey died after being cleared to come back from a concussion this year. I just think it isn't worth getting crippled for.

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Nova: 31
JMU: 28

Should be a great game, but I think Nova gets the W.

That sounds about right to me. Will JMU bring more fans than Nova?

jlcharles
October 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
That sounds about right to me. Will JMU bring more fans than Nova?
Probably not. It's homecoming for us.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Nova 35
JMU 31

And Mickey goes crying to the media yet again... xlolx

alexale23
October 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
At his age, the number 69 is HILARIOUS!!!!

(Okay, I giggle when I type it, too :D )

at your age you dont even know what that is but i expect JMU to score 10 TD and miss 1 extra point

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
at your age you dont even know what that is but i expect JMU to score 10 TD and miss 1 extra point

there's less than a 5 percent chance that there is 69 total points

Dukie95
October 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I expect that Nova will beat JMU this week and it may not be all that close. Unless Landers can make some big plays in the passing game.. JMU will have trouble moving the ball. Nova's defense is very tough vs the run (Richmond just 83 yrds) and I seriously doubt that JMU will be able to consistantly move the ball.. without an effective passing game... and with Landers.. an effective passing game is always questionable.

Villanova 31 JMU 17

I'm not saying that's not possible, but since 2004, JMU has lost only one I-AA game by more than 5 points - an 11 point loss at ASU in 2006.

So, even in defeat, we tend to stay in games.

Dukie95
October 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm not feeling this one...

JMU 24
Nova 27

StrikeJMU
October 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'm not feeling this one...

JMU 24
Nova 27

what a negative nancy.

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
what a negative nancy.

he sounds like a realistic guy xthumbsupx

StrikeJMU
October 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
he sounds like a realistic guy xthumbsupx

If Villanova wins my good sir, I will eat my hat.

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I honestly think it will be one of the all time great CAA games.. like the last Villanova JMU game at villanova stadium

Turfwar
October 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
JMU has this one, with a 70 percent chance of rain for Saturday, the passing game is going to suffer early and Nova is going to have to do things that just are not that natural.

JMU wins this one nicely:

JMU --- 35

Villanova --- 24

StrikeJMU
October 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
JMU has this one, with a 70 percent chance of rain for Saturday, the passing game is going to suffer early and Nova is going to have to do things that just are not that natural.

This better not become a fumble-fest or I'm going to have to watch this game in the yard. I have a tendency to throw whatever is closest to me...(would think I should have learned my lesson after the "Waterford Crystal lamp incident" but nooo). Please don't fumble too much Dukes, the appartments decor can't afford it.

Hoyadestroya85
October 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM

JMU --- 35

Villanova --- 24
you know that villanova can run the ball too?

wideright82
October 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM

JMU --- 35

Villanova --- 24

i would really like to see some sort of statistic from this year that makes you think the game staying on the ground is in the dukes favor.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
i would really like to see some sort of statistic from this year that makes you think the game staying on the ground is in the dukes favor.

No statistic necessary. You'll find out come this Saturday xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
well the wildcats are gonna force the dukes to go to the air... and they will fail

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
well the wildcats are gonna force the dukes to go to the air... and they will fail

McCarter, Williams, Ward, and Caussin disagree xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
McCarter, Williams, Ward, and Caussin disagree xthumbsupx

Don't forget Kerby Long!! xthumbsupx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Don't forget Kerby Long!! xthumbsupx

Shhhhh!!!!!!! I was trying to keep him and Griff for the suprise!xrotatehx

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
The Blue Shirts Disagree :p

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
I do think we'll need to open up the playbook more to be successful in this game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mickey try the screen stuff again just to test it out.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I do think we'll need to open up the playbook more to be successful in this game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mickey try the screen stuff again just to test it out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go deep a few times to Long or Yancey.

wideright82
October 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM

oh nevermind then xrotatehx

alexale23
October 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
there's less than a 5 percent chance that there is 69 total points

There is less then a 5 percent chance of any score that is predicted.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
An interesting correlation:

Villanova's opponents' rank in passing offense (point differential in game vs. VU):
URI - 16th (+37)
W&M - 27th (+10)
Lehigh - 42nd (+19)
Penn - 63rd (+6 OT)
UR - 69th (+6)

JMU - 115th (???)

The trend would suggest a JMU win! :p

And that's how you use meaningless statistics to show why one team is going to beat the other. xsmiley_wix

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Another interesting set of stats - National Rankings for Returns, offense/defense:

Kickoff Returns:
Villanova 13/91
JMU 18/15

Punt Returns
Villanova 84/76
JMU 17/46

Clearly JMU has an advantage on kickoff returns w/ Scotty McGee going up against the 91st Kick Return D in the country. Villanova, however, boasts a strong kickoff return team on offense, and JMU defends the kickoff well - something has to give here.

With Punt Returns, JMU appears to have a decisive advantage on both return yards and defending punts.

Special teams could help decide this game. It certainly did for JMU vs. Richmond. xwhistlex

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Another interesting set of stats - National Rankings for Returns, offense/defense:

Kickoff Returns:
Villanova 13/91
JMU 18/15

Punt Returns
Villanova 84/76
JMU 17/46

Clearly JMU has an advantage on kickoff returns w/ Scotty McGee going up against the 91st Kick Return D in the country. Villanova, however, boasts a strong kickoff return team on offense, and JMU defends the kickoff well - something has to give here.

With Punt Returns, JMU appears to have a decisive advantage on both return yards and defending punts.

Special teams could help decide this game. It certainly did for JMU vs. Richmond. xwhistlex

It probably won't decide it in terms of a big McGee return, but I think Talley will avoid kicking to McGee, hopefully helping us in the field position war.

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Kickoff Returns:
Villanova 13/91
JMU 18/15

Punt Returns
Villanova 84/76
JMU 17/46

Joe Marcoux Will kick it out of the end zone at least twice xthumbsupx

potus#4
October 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
It probably won't decide it in terms of a big McGee return, but I think Talley will avoid kicking to McGee, hopefully helping us in the field position war.

I agree. I don't think there will be as many points scored as most people think, especially if the weather is bad. Field position will be key.

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Joe Marcoux Will kick it out of the end zone at least twice xthumbsupx

That will be an interesting thing to watch. If he's capable of kicking it out, then you'd want him to.

But, if he misses by a little, you set up the potential for a big return. Plus, if the weather's bad, you've got to worry about the kicker's footing for a big kick (plus, the pooch kick could put it in the hands of a bumbling linebacker in the rain). Will definitely be watching to see how Talley handles it.

wideright82
October 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
That will be an interesting thing to watch. If he's capable of kicking it out, then you'd want him to.

But, if he misses by a little, you set up the potential for a big return. Plus, if the weather's bad, you've got to worry about the kicker's footing for a big kick (plus, the pooch kick could put it in the hands of a bumbling linebacker in the rain). Will definitely be watching to see how Talley handles it.

He is very capable, and actually, on Villanova's turf the footing in the rain isn't that big of an issue. The reason the rain will come in to play there is, the temp will be lower (harder ball) and the rain will also make the ball heavy enough to make a difference. If it were a clear day, i would say the touchback thing is going to happen. In the rain, not as likely but still possible.

Edit: also as a side note, he is instructed to strategically place the ball on kickoffs, not kill it. His touchbacks are merely a sign of how strong his leg actually is.

Dukie95
October 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
So, what's the latest on the QB situation? Young or Whitney?

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
So, what's the latest on the QB situation? Young or Whitney?

Either one can win but it looks to be Whitney, I like Young personally..

jstclmet
October 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Last week 4 - 1...50/62 on the year for 83%....Congrats UR, too bad UMass. Seems like the Xfer U's don't have it this year.

As we enter the 3rd qtr of the season, now every game has a little more meaning than the last. The playoff potential starts to visualize for some, while fading from the vision of others.

On to the picks;

Bryant 7 @ UMass 42. You really don't need xfers to win this one, do ya???

Towson 10 @ UNH 24. UNH wins easily at home.

Georgetown 7 @ Richmond 35. Relaxing win for UR, watching the polls to see which top 10 teams lose, and how high can they climb.

URI 13 @ W&M 31. The Tribe too are poll watching. Might even try to run the score a little bit to help their cause.

Northeastern 27 @ Maine 30. One of two heated contests in the CAA this week, with Maine winning in OT.

About 8 mos ago, I wrote UD 24 @ HU 7 with HU spiraling out of control. Fast forward to today, and the reverse is apparently true. HU's parachute opened, while the Blue Hens forgot how to fly....UD 7 @ HU 24. Congrats to UD for scoring xrotatehx

Now for the game of the week. First and foremost, I must say I'm a little disappointed that we catch JMU when they are not at full strength. However, given the rugged schedule they've had, I don't think many teams would be at full strength after the gauntlet of games the Dukes had to go through. Unfortunately, playing that many high ranked teams catches up with them this week. Nova's been seething for a year. One could conjecture that it was this game last year that kept Nova out of the playoffs. Nuff said, as "REVENGE" is the order for the day. In the immortal words of James Brown "IT'S THE BIG PAYBACK....". Come Saturday @ 3:30 Villanova stadium will be packed solid with fans from across the land fully expecting to see another seeded team leave the Mainline without their ranking. This will be a beat-down like no other. The Nova D is young, strong, fast, and nasty. Ali vs Frazer, Lakers vs Celtics, Yankees vs Bosox or Phils vs Rays, Giants vs Patriots will all pale in comparison to one of the greatest upsets of all time.

VILLANOVA 27 jmu 24.xlolx

Turfwar
October 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
YUP, BIG PAYBACK for 2006!!!

th0m
October 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Actually I wouldn't call it one of the greatest upsets of all-time at all. No. 7 vs. No. 1? I'm not even remotely close to saying that the upset will take place, but it doesn't even begin to start entering the list of the greatest upsets of all-time. Will it be a great game? Hell yes!

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Last week 4 - 1...50/62 on the year for 83%....Congrats UR, too bad UMass. Seems like the Xfer U's don't have it this year.

As we enter the 3rd qtr of the season, now every game has a little more meaning than the last. The playoff potential starts to visualize for some, while fading from the vision of others.

On to the picks;

Georgetown 7 @ Richmond 35. Relaxing win for UR, watching the polls to see which top 10 teams lose, and how high can they climb.

URI 13 @ W&M 31. The Tribe too are poll watching. Might even try to run the score a little bit to help their cause.

Northeastern 27 @ Maine 30. One of two heated contests in the CAA this week, with Maine winning in OT.

About 8 mos ago, I wrote UD 24 @ HU 7 with HU spiraling out of control. Fast forward to today, and the reverse is apparently true. HU's parachute opened, while the Blue Hens forgot how to fly....UD 7 @ HU 24. Congrats to UD for scoring xrotatehx

Now for the game of the week. First and foremost, I must say I'm a little disappointed that we catch JMU when they are not at full strength. However, given the rugged schedule they've had, I don't think many teams would be at full strength after the gauntlet of games the Dukes had to go through. Unfortunately, playing that many high ranked teams catches up with them this week. Nova's been seething for a year. One could conjecture that it was this game last year that kept Nova out of the playoffs. Nuff said, as "REVENGE" is the order for the day. In the immortal words of James Brown "IT'S THE BIG PAYBACK....". Come Saturday @ 3:30 Villanova stadium will be packed solid with fans from across the land fully expecting to see another seeded team leave the Mainline without their ranking. This will be a beat-down like no other. The Nova D is young, strong, fast, and nasty. Ali vs Frazer, Lakers vs Celtics, Yankees vs Bosox or Phils vs Rays, Giants vs Patriots will all pale in comparison to one of the greatest upsets of all time.

.......stadium will be packed......xeekx

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
October 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Villanova stadium will be packed solid with fans

xlolx not so much the score that makes me laugh, cause you could very well be right. however, this statement makes me laugh pretty hard. i know JMU will bring a decent contingent but i dont think it will be enough to fill both sides of the stadium...

JMU2004
October 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM

On to the picks;

of your wrong picks, how many have been JMU games? Umass, ASU, UR, and? Didn;t you also pick HU to give us trouble, and Maine to be REALLY close?

I'm not saying that you are wrong with the VU vs JMU, but you have REALLY been wrong about JMU this year

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Unbiased opinion from someone both of you beat already:

I don't know how significant JMU's loss of Brandon is, but I like JMU to win this game.

Here's why: Richmond had Tim Silver starting at Left Tackle in the VU game. Silver was on a Surgically repaired knee and really struggled with the VU pass rush. VU was all over our QB all day long. We couldn't run the ball either.

By the time we played JMU, Silver was moved to guard to protect his lack of mobility. Our o-line was much better we ran the ball with decent success. We still lost. Silver has since re-injured the knee and is done.

I like JMU's ability to run between the tackles and control the clock. Especially if Whitney doesn't play.

Good luck to both teams. I hope we get the chance to re-pay one, if not both of you in the playoffs.

JMU DUUUKES
October 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Actually I wouldn't call it one of the greatest upsets of all-time at all. No. 7 vs. No. 1? I'm not even remotely close to saying that the upset will take place, but it doesn't even begin to start entering the list of the greatest upsets of all-time. Will it be a great game? Hell yes!

I didn't read above this quote, but if anyone said this was an upset they need to get their head checked.

In fact the vegas lines have JMU +1 .... so technically we are the underdog

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think that this will be JMU's statement game, that they're gunning for the title this year and no one in the CAA or FCS is going to stop them.

JMU 38
Villanova 17

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I think that this will be 'NOVA's statement game, that they're gunning for the title this year and no one in the CAA or FCS is going to stop them.

JMU 10
Villanova 17.............BRAWK!

Hoyadestroya85
October 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
.............BRAWK!
Mr. Chicken.. you are absolutely right

Dukes2004
October 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I didn't read above this quote, but if anyone said this was an upset they need to get their head checked.

In fact the vegas lines have JMU +1 .... so technically we are the underdog

I've never seen vegas lines for FCS outside of the playoffs. Where are they listed?

I live down the road from nova and can't wait for Saturday. This game is going to be great.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've never seen vegas lines for FCS outside of the playoffs. Where are they listed?

I live down the road from nova and can't wait for Saturday. This game is going to be great.

Betus.com

BDKJMU
October 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM

Villanova 31 JMU 17

And UR doesn't have near the rushing game JMU does.

Yeah, Landers passing game vs Nova last season was real questionable. He was only 25 of 32, 300 yards, 2 Tds, 0 INT.

Lets see, 2 weeks ago vs UR Landers was 10 for 12, 96 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INT.

His #s for the year:
PASSING---------GP--Effic--Cmp-Att-Int-Pct--Yards--TD--Long--Avg/G
Rodney Landers-7--157.3---52-83--3--62.7--692----8----49---98.9

Sure, he doesn't pass much, but he can be very effective when he needs to. This notion that an effective passing game with Landers is always questionable is baloney.

With that being said, its suppose to be raining all day Sat. That should help JMU more than Nova...

BDKJMU
October 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM

With the obvious exception of WVU, none of those other teams have near the rushing game that JMU does. (W&M is 4th in the CAA at 171 yds per game, UR is 6th at 157.5)

UR came into the JMU game only giving up an avg of 88 yards a game rushing, (212 in 1st 4 games, 226 to Nova) and JMU ran for 226, just like Nova. In the CAA UR is #1 in Scoring and Total Defense. Nova is #2 in Total Defense and #1 in Rushing Defense. I think UR and Nova's defenses are comparable. JMU was able to move the ball on UR. We'll see if they can on Nova.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/FBStatsXOS.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM

1st of all, if you think a #7 over a #1 would be one of the greatest upsets of all time you need to lay down the crack pipe. How could you possibly compare it to the ones you've mentioned above.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx An upset yes, but really wouldn't be even that big of one.

Now as far as you're picks for JMU. The only one you were close on was Duke...

JMU 31 vs NCCU 13

Was 56-7 JMU

JMU vs UMass - Game of the week. I'm standing by my earlier prediction of UMass winning 24 - 17. I'm still of the opinion UMass is too strong for JMU up front.

App St 42 @ James Madison 24. Statement game either way, and another game of the week for JMU.

JMU 21 vs Maine 20.
Was 24-10 JMU

Hofstra 7 @ JMU 28 - Nuff said, as the new #1 holds onto their ranking for another week.

It was JMU 56-0..

James Madison 20 @ Richmond 24.

Obviously clueless when it comes to JMU..xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now if actually picked JMU to win, then I might be a little worried..xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
1st of all, if you think a #7 over a #1 would be one of the greatest upsets of all time you need to lay down the crack pipe. How could you possibly compare it to the ones you've mentioned above.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx An upset yes, but really wouldn't be even that big of one.

Now as far as you're picks for JMU. The only one you were close on was Duke...

Was 56-7 JMU

Was 24-10 JMU

It was JMU 56-0..

Obviously clueless when it comes to JMU..xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now if actually picked JMU to win, then I might be a little worried..xlolx xlolx xlolx

he wasn't that far off on most.. i didn't think JMU would be this good this year.. did you think delaware would be this bad?

th0m
October 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Not that far off xconfusedx

He picked the other team in 3 games, in the games he did pick us to win his average margin of our wins was 13 points - where it was actually closer to 40 points.

But I concur with BDKJMU, something would be troubling if he would pick JMU this time xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Not that far off xconfusedx

He picked the other team in 3 games, in the games he did pick us to win his average margin of our wins was 13 points - where it was actually closer to 40 points.

But I concur with BDKJMU, something would be troubling if he would pick JMU this time xlolx
no one thought that JMU would beat hofstra 56-0.. i would have called you a crackhead if you had said that before the season..
and I don't make predictions, but i was nearly sure that Richmond was gonna win, if you look at the rest of the predictions, they are stellar... like over 80 percent stellar... and everyone thought that it was a joke that Villanova could go undefeated in conference, well they're knocking on the door aren't they?

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Looks like Coulson picked Villanova
28-24

Tribe4SF
October 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
28-24

Kiss of death.:D

Dukie95
October 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Kiss of death.:D

I think it's offset by EightLegger's pick of the Dukes. :)

Either one can win but it looks to be Whitney, I like Young personally..

No doubt they can win with either one, I just hadn't heard an update in a while.

PurpleandGold
October 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
28-24

IIRC, he also picked App State. I'll settle for a similar outcome. Although, I'd probably have a heart attack at halftime and miss the comeback.

jlcharles
October 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
xlolx not so much the score that makes me laugh, cause you could very well be right. however, this statement makes me laugh pretty hard. i know JMU will bring a decent contingent but i dont think it will be enough to fill both sides of the stadium...

It is homecoming, but unfortunately, with the weather expected to be crappy, I doubt the stadium is half full.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It is homecoming, but unfortunately, with the weather expected to be crappy, I doubt the stadium is half full.

Also let's not pretend that Homecoming brings a full house there either - it's still nova football and the support is abysmal, regardless of the success of the team on the field.

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Also let's not pretend that Homecoming brings a full house there either - it's still nova football and the support is abysmal, regardless of the success of the team on the field.

why does it have to be true? can you get some UD fans to jump on our bandwagon, because our students sure as hell aren't.. hoops mania is tonight and everyone will be too hung over to know the difference between their A** and a hole in the ground tomorrow..

URMite
October 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM

JMU for homecoming? Quit stealling our thunder! We had them for 2002, 2004, 2006. On second thought after the last 2, maybe we just passed them on to you....carry on...

Monarch History
October 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
JMU for homecoming? Quit stealling our thunder! We had them for 2002, 2004, 2006. On second thought after the last 2, maybe we just passed them on to you....carry on...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
no one thought that JMU would beat hofstra 56-0.. i would have called you a crackhead if you had said that before the season..
and I don't make predictions, but i was nearly sure that Richmond was gonna win, if you look at the rest of the predictions, they are stellar... like over 80 percent stellar... and everyone thought that it was a joke that Villanova could go undefeated in conference, well they're knocking on the door aren't they?

All those predictions besides the UR one were stellar, ok...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
28-24

Yes! xnodx xnodx xnodx -Coulson picked UMass and ASU over JMU.

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Sure, Nova might win, but why in the world would Nova schedule JMU for HC? (same ? goes to UR, as JMU has won those last 3 HC games @ UR). You're suppose to schedule if not you're easiest home opponent one of your easiest. And that would rule out JMU, along with UR and to a lesser extent UNH. Why not schedule Lehigh or Towson for HC?

JMU got in right in 04' by scheduling VMI and 06' (W&M) for HC. But I have shook my head at JMU scheduling UR in 05' & 07' and UD this year (UD was suppose to be good). Notice for 4 straight yrs (04'-07'), JMU & UR ruined each others HC.

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/campus.cribs.villanova/content.1.html

JMU DUUUKES
October 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
To the person who asked where FCS lines were found ...

www.5dimes.com ----- listed under "college xtra"

jlcharles
October 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Sure, Nova might win, but why in the world would Nova schedule JMU for HC? (same ? goes to UR, as JMU has won those last 3 HC games @ UR) would You're suppose to schedule if not you're easiest home opponent one of your easiest. And that would rule out JMU, along with UR and to a lesser extent UNH. Why not schedule Lehigh or Towson for HC?

JMU got in right in 04' by scheduling VMI and 06' (W&M) for HC. But I have shook my head at JMU scheduling UR in 05' & 07' and UD this year (UD was suppose to be good). Notice for 4 straight yrs (04'-07'), JMU & UR ruined each others HC.

When the schedule came out, I asked the same question. I chalk it up to our AD being an ass. As for Lehigh, that would never happen for homecoming as we typically get our OOC games over with at the start of the season.

Hoyadestroya85
October 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/campus.cribs.villanova/content.1.html

that's my dorm :D :) xnodx xrotatehx xthumbsupx

vaughtdj
October 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
JMU: 21
Vanillanova: 10

jlcharles
October 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
JMU: 21
Vanillanova: 10
Did you think of that all on your own?

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
McGee May Miss Nova Game
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32668&CHID=3&sub=

URMite
October 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Sure, Nova might win, but why in the world would Nova schedule JMU for HC? (same ? goes to UR, as JMU has won those last 3 HC games @ UR). You're suppose to schedule if not you're easiest home opponent one of your easiest. And that would rule out JMU, along with UR and to a lesser extent UNH. Why not schedule Lehigh or Towson for HC?

Actually, I'm showing a 26-0 UR win in 2002 but I agree with your point. It seems for the most part the home game closest to Oct 24 is homecoming. And I think the conference assigns the conference games. The more I think about it, I believe I read that all teams give the conference the dates for Homecoming, Family Weekend, and Fall Break, then the conference makes the conference schedule. So they decide the opponents for the first two (unless you have already scheduled an OOC) and usually an away game for the last (but not us this year xnonono2x xmadx could it continue to be an A10/CAA feud xwhistlex )

Well if JMU wasn't bad enough UD was homecoming 1998!

URMite
October 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
McGee May Miss Nova Game
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32668&CHID=3&sub=

Not having McGee would be a big blow.

On the other hand, I think Whitney would be likely to have better game against JMU than Young would. From what I've seen Young (when healthy) is more explosive than Whitney but Whitney makes quicker and safer decisions both running & passing. Still would have like to have seen Whitney as our heir apparent. I believe we the last team he eliminated before choosing Nova.

DB_Atlantic10
October 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
i would really like to see some sort of statistic from this year that makes you think the game staying on the ground is in the dukes favor. Ok here's a few.... JMU is #6 in scoring offense in the FCS, #5 in rushing offense in the FCS, #115 in passing offense in the FCS and they are #94 in Time of Possession in the FCS and are dead last in time of possession in the CAA. Pass efficiency... JMU is NO#22 in the FCS while Villanova is #40.

So what does this tell you...one is that JMU scores a lot of points and very fast on the ground. It also tell you that even though JMU does not pass often, they're quite efficient when they do, much so more than Villanova. So if the game is forced to stay on the ground, JMU not only runs the ball well, they are actually better at throwing it if need be.

Also, this has mostly come against top 10 competition...

Common opponent Richmond...

Villanova beat UR at home by 6, JMU beat UR on the road by 7

Another note: JMU's defense is on the field a lot regardless of if the offense scores......

Regardless, this will be a great game......The good thing for JMU here is that they are not overlooking Nova as in 2006. Nova is expected to be good this year, so this is not viewed as a trap game vice an all out war for the marbles......xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
October 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I have a strange feeling... that this game won't be close, either team that wins it will dominate

BDKJMU
October 25th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Actually, I'm showing a 26-0 UR win in 2002 but I agree with your point. It seems for the most part the home game closest to Oct 24 is homecoming. And I think the conference assigns the conference games. The more I think about it, I believe I read that all teams give the conference the dates for Homecoming, Family Weekend, and Fall Break, then the conference makes the conference schedule. So they decide the opponents for the first two (unless you have already scheduled an OOC) and usually an away game for the last (but not us this year xnonono2x xmadx could it continue to be an A10/CAA feud xwhistlex )

Well if JMU wasn't bad enough UD was homecoming 1998!

Yeah, you're right, was last 2 HC games for each team.

BDKJMU
October 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM
From Wed DNR:
Dukes' LB Cleared To Play
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32549&CHID=3

BDKJMU
October 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
From Thur DNR:
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32594&CHID=3

BDKJMU
October 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Weather is going to be plain nasty:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USPA1708?begHour=13&begDay=299

Accu weather basically has the same forecast. Says wind gusts up to 30 mph. This could be like the 04' game when a then unranked JMU beat then 5th ranked Nova 17-0. Nova had 7 turnovers (I think 5 were fumbles including a couple of dropped punt snaps), and JMU lost 4 fumbles. And there were a # of fumbles the teams didn't lose. There was a double digit # of fumbles. Course JMU went on to win the NC that year. I don't think the weather will quite that bad, and there will be more offense than then, but its highly likely you'll see a good bit less offesne than you would have seen with good weather. With the weather conditions I don't see much passing beyond some short stuff.

BTW, I just listened to MM's Madizone Live With Coach Matthews from this past Mon (he also has the Dukes Huddle With Mickey Matthews and The Mickey Matthews Show, all on Madizone), and he called Nova the best Nova team he's seen in his 10 seasons at JMU.

BDKJMU
October 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM
BTW, MM said starting weak safety Gerren Griffin who's missed the last 3 games is still out (2 week old article, just reposting for FYI):
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32082&CHID=3
McCollough who's moved over from corner will still be at WS. MCGee will still be playing at McCollough's corner spot. If McGee can't go, Jamaris Sanders will likely start. Either way, true freshman Taveion Cuffee will have his redshirt pulled and will be playing according to MM.

Hoyadestroya85
October 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM
this game is gonna be 10-7

jlcharles
October 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Weather is going to be plain nasty:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USPA1708?begHour=13&begDay=299

Accu weather basically has the same forecast. Says wind gusts up to 30 mph. This could be like the 04' game when a then unranked JMU beat then 5th ranked Nova 17-0. Nova had 7 turnovers (I think 5 were fumbles including a couple of dropped punt snaps), and JMU lost 4 fumbles. And there were a # of fumbles the teams didn't lose. There was a double digit # of fumbles. Course JMU went on to win the NC that year. I don't think the weather will quite that bad, and there will be more offense than then, but its highly likely you'll see a good bit less offesne than you would have seen with good weather. With the weather conditions I don't see much passing beyond some short stuff.

BTW, I just listened to MM's Madizone Live With Coach Matthews from this past Mon (he also has the Dukes Huddle With Mickey Matthews and The Mickey Matthews Show, all on Madizone), and he called Nova the best Nova team he's seen in his 10 seasons at JMU.

I was at that game. I think that we fumbled 3 times at the goal line. I stayed for just about the whole game huddled under an umbrella, soaking wet. I think there were maybe 500 people there.

ericsaid
October 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Villanova jumps out to a 21-0 lead in first quarter and JMU comes back, wins it 35-32.

Hoyadestroya85
October 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Personally, i'm not buying that Mcgee is injured

JMUSaxMRD
October 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
He isn't injured, he's sick it seems like...

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
On weather.com it looks like a lot of the rain will miss the game.

charliej
October 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
On weather.com it looks like a lot of the rain will miss the game.

They got it wrong...coming down in buckets

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
They got it wrong...coming down in buckets

Yea, I don't know what happened...Looks bad.