PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Football 1968

Go...gate
October 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100608aaj.html

This is terrific (especially the video) for those of us who were around in those days. The more things change, however, the more they stay the same; those players, like those in I-AA/FCS today, were students who played football for the love of the game but, for the most part, used the lessons inherent in competitive sports to address the challenges presented by life, a pretty competitive game in itself. That is why I have always liked our brand of football.

Kudos to Lafayette.

I wish Colgate's Sports Information Department had something like this.

Bogus Megapardus
October 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Did you catch that old Andy Kerr scoreboard?

Franks Tanks
October 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100608aaj.html

This is terrific (especially the video) for those of us who were around in those days. The more things change, however, the more they stay the same; those players, like those in I-AA/FCS today, were students who played football for the love of the game but, for the most part, used the lessons inherent in competitive sports to address the challenges presented by life, a pretty competitive game in itself. That is why I have always liked our brand of football.

Kudos to Lafayette.

I wish Colgate's Sports Information Department had something like this.

This was done because of the prodding of Jack Bourger I assume. He was a member of that team and is one of the major donors of our new stadium.

DFW HOYA
October 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Great presentaion for any football fan.

And how about that schedule? Rutgers, Columbia, Hofstra, Colgate, Bucknell, and Lehigh...but also Drexel, W&L, Gettysburg and Kings Point. Such was life in the Pennsylvania MAC, I guess.

Go...gate
October 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Did you catch that old Andy Kerr scoreboard?

That modest stadium (wooden bleachers with no end-zone stands and a pressbox made primarily of cedar decking and 2 x 4's), was, for many years, simply called "Colgate Athletic Field", and barely touched after it was built (1940), until 1991. The stadium was named for Kerr in 1966, so the scoreboard trim was pretty new. That's why I tell the Northeastern, Fordham and Georgetown guys not to get too worried about their stadia. hard to forget, though, when we jammed nearly 18,000 in there for Rutgers (1977) and 14,000 for Holy Cross (1982).

I love the Lafayette schedule - very reflective of the era. Amazing, though, how a good Lafayette club was nevertheless knocked off by Lehigh. That game is, for all intents and purposes, a one-game season. Upsets happened to fine teams fielded by both schools many times.

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Amazing, though, how a good Lafayette club was nevertheless knocked off by Lehigh. That game is, for all intents and purposes, a one-game season. Upsets happened to fine teams fielded by both schools many times.

It's just impossible to comprehend fully the "gestalt" of a Lafayette-Lehigh (or a Colgate-Cornell) game unless you attend or have attended one of the two schools and actually go to the games. Prior schedules and season wins are completely meaningless.

Just watch the film - a Colgate-Lafayette game in 1968? Isn't that great - in the full glory of Bell & Howell black and white? Watching that, you can just immerse yourself in the tradition between these two "traditional" colleges.

As for Lafayette-Lehigh - a winless Lehigh team absolutely could trounce an undefeated Lafayette team, and vice-versa, then and now. It is a campus event in the true tradition - one that shapes and defines the two schools' athletic traditions. What makes this "real" is that the players, to this day, are just guys in your dorm or fraternity house who you see every day in a biology lab or in a differential equations seminar. The film makes this point pretty well.

That's why I enjoy attending games at Penn and Lehigh and Colgate and Lafayette and Princeton, year after year, with my kids and my friends. You know how the players feel and what they're going through - and what it really means to win. It's real, student-centered, college football at a serious level.

Thanks to the powers that be for the FCS!

Franks Tanks
October 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.ocsn.com/media_server/play.smil?school=lafa&media_type=video&content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/lafa/06-07/video/m-footbl/10oct/greatmoments4x3.wmv

This is another nice video thats highlights some of the Lafayette greats through the years.

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
That is great! Again, I wish Colgate had something like that.