18. Furman Paladins 6-2 912 19
19. Tennessee State Tigers 6-1 608 22
20. Liberty Flames 6-1 529 14
21. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 5-2 448 23
22. Hampton Pirates 5-1 392 25
23. William & Mary Tribe 4-2 357 NR
24. Lafayette Leopards 5-1 244 NR
25. Harvard Crimson 4-1 190 NR

Others receiving votes: South Carolina State 119, North Dakota State 97, San Diego 83, Tennessee-Martin 75, South Dakota State 73, Eastern Washington 57, Georgia Southern 45, Colgate 42, Grambling 32, Florida A&M 30, Texas State 25, The Citadel 24, Maine 20, Sam Houston State 13, Eastern Illinois 12, Prairie View 12, UC Davis 10, Sacred Heart 8, Delaware 6, North Dakota 6, Albany 5, Eastern Kentucky 3, Butler 1, Central Connecticut State 1, Holy Cross 1, Penn 1.

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
This makes me giggle a bit:

Others receiving votes: South Carolina State 119, North Dakota State 97, San Diego 83, Tennessee-Martin 75, South Dakota State 73, Eastern Washington 57, Georgia Southern 45, Colgate 42, Grambling 32, Florida A&M 30, Texas State 25, The Citadel 24, Maine 20, Sam Houston State 13, Eastern Illinois 12, Prairie View 12, UC Davis 10, Sacred Heart 8, Delaware 6, North Dakota 6, Albany 5, Eastern Kentucky 3, Butler 1, Central Connecticut State 1, Holy Cross 1, Penn 1.

Uhhhhh......??????

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Is it me or does Furman seem perpetually under-ranked? 6-2 with losses to Va. Tech and Elon and they're 18th?

Pitz
October 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
20. Liberty Flames 6-1 529 14
24. Lafayette Leopards 5-1 244 NR

Hmm....

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Is it me or does Furman seem perpetually under-ranked? 6-2 with losses to Va. Tech and Elon and they're 18th?

I agree. I've got them at #9.

LarryBoy
October 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM
A win this weekend will change that. Hopefully the opposite won't knock them out of the Top 25 completely.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
A win this weekend will change that. Hopefully the opposite won't knock them out of the Top 25 completely.
A win this weekend would change that... but I wouldnt count on it!

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Been under ranked all season. This was the team people picked to finish 6th in the SoCon you might remember.

Granted, I don't think we are a top 10 team. We have two top 5 teams to play in the next couple weeks. If we belong up there we'll end up there.

JmuSkinsfan
October 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I still want to know how Elon is getting one #1 ranking. It's ludicrous. They lost to Richmond BIG at home. xeyebrowx

Also, with all due respect for App State, I don't understand how they get #1 votes when the team ranked #1 beat them?

Oh well. Once the SoCon finishes beating up on itself we'll see Elon fall off a bit. I like Wofford more than Elon.

DetroitFlyer
October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
This makes me giggle a bit:

Uhhhhh......??????

Come on now, that head to head competition thing is really vastly overrated!xlolx

On a side note, how about those Butler Bulldogs garnering a vote? I wonder how long it has been since Butler garnered a vote in a major FCS poll?

I have not talked about it much here, but Butler has had two REALLY good recruiting classes the past two years. I have a feeling that the success in basketball is starting to rub off on football.... Nice to see Butler having a good season.

As for Sacred Heart, I'm betting that the close game at Albany opened a few more eyes in the NEC....

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Come on now, that head to head competition thing is really vastly overrated!xlolx

On a side note, how about those Butler Bulldogs garnering a vote? I wonder how long it has been since Butler garnered a vote in a major FCS poll?

I have not talked about it much here, but Butler has had two REALLY good recruiting classes the past two years. I have a feeling that the success in basketball is starting to rub off on football.... Nice to see Butler having a good season.

As for Sacred Heart, I'm betting that the close game at Albany opened a few more eyes in the NEC....

It certainly opened up my eyes to Sacred Heart. I was also reading the CCSU board and they seemed very surprised. Their QB is very very good.

I love this quote from their coach though:

Gorham said. "I could have gotten 100 yards behind that offensive line. They blot out the sun. We are not different from any other team -- they dominate everybody."

http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_10756320

jmu007
October 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
This poll is complete crap.

ASU w/ #1 votes...
Elon w/ #1 votes...

Thank god we don't depend on these things like FBS.

AppAlum2003
October 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM

ASU w/ #1 votes...
Elon w/ #1 votes...

xbawlingx

slostang
October 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Was UNI's 23-10 home win over NDSU so impressive that they jump Cal Poly who won on the road in Brookings 42-28 over SDSU?????

phillyAPP
October 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I still want to know how Elon is getting one #1 ranking. It's ludicrous. They lost to Richmond BIG at home. xeyebrowx

Also, with all due respect for App State, I don't understand how they get #1 votes when the team ranked #1 beat them?

Oh well. Once the SoCon finishes beating up on itself we'll see Elon fall off a bit. I like Wofford more than Elon.

Maybe Mickey voted for APP becuase he couldn't vote for JMU?

Now, the other 2 votes, who knows ????????

It MEANS NOTHING anyway, PLAYOFF WINS mean EVERYTHING !!!!!

jmu_duke07
October 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe Mickey voted for APP becuase he couldn't vote for JMU?

Now, the other 2 votes, who knows ????????

It MEANS NOTHING anyway, PLAYOFF WINS mean EVERYTHING !!!!!

Have you heard of the saying... "Give credit where credit is due"? Well, how about "Don't give credit where credit is not due". Seriously, can you even justify how and why these teams are #1?

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
App lost by three at James Madison. Perhaps some voters feel that if the game where in Boone ASU would have won.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I agree. I've got them at #9.

Their close win at home against Delaware isn't looking as great today. IIRC, their performance at Colgate wasn't top 15 like. Who are their other wins against? So far I still think ASU, Wofford and Elon are viewed as the top three in the SoCon. Still plenty of time to demonstrate that they're top ten material. The polls should take care of themselves by mid November. xpeacex

And yes DF the ranking of Albany has been suspect all year. Too many folks are just looking at records and not opponents and scores from the games. No way in halibut that Sacred Heart should be ranked ahead of the Danes since you guys won head to head. xoopsx :o

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
App lost by three at James Madison. Perhaps some voters feel that if the game where in Boone ASU would have won.

And that would be quite valid. I know I look at the game as a virtual wash but give credit to JMU because they did win the game. That does have to get some credit regardless of their home status.

theasushow
October 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I really feel for those JMU fans, it must be quite devastating to only collect 102 of 107 first place votes. How do you ever calm youself to sleep at night?

Give me a break...102 out of 107 is the signs of a clearly dominate team, most teams would love just to be in the top 5. I wouldnt nit pick over 5 first place votes.

already123
October 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
East Coast bickering....xnonox

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Was UNI's 23-10 home win over NDSU so impressive that they jump Cal Poly who won on the road in Brookings 42-28 over SDSU?????

it was 23-13. and i wondered the same thing.

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I must say that I don't see how McNeese is ranked above Central Arkansas. McNeese lost to Texas State on October 11 at home then Central Arkansas beat Texas State on the road on October 18. McNeese has one loss against FCS opponents and Central Arkansas is undefeated against them.

Doesn't really matter because they're in the same conference and will play each other but it's kind of weird.

93henfan
October 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Proud of my school and all, but there's Norfolk and Weigh that a 2-5 team should get votes in any poll, let alone this one.

ericsaid
October 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM

ASU w/ #1 votes...
Elon w/ #1 votes...

JMU should be recieving first place votes in the FBS polls IMO, regardless of their division I think they've earned it, 35-32 definently means you've earned all 107 first place votes. Also when you were losing by three td's in that game shows JMU has what it takes to lose, the question is when will they.xpeacex

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
JMU should be recieving first place votes in the FBS polls IMO, regardless of their division I think they've earned it, x

No way. They lost to Duke. Not only lost. They were blown out by the Blue Devils. I know Duke's a little better than usual but they're still 2-3 against other FBS teams and 1-3 against other BCS league teams.

JMU may end up winning the FCS national title. But no way a team that gets smacked by Duke should be receiving votes in the FBS poll.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
No way. They lost to Duke. Not only lost. They were blown out by the Blue Devils. I know they're a little better than usual but they're still 2-3 against other FBS teams and 1-3 against other BCS league teams.

They may end up winning the FCS national title. But no way a team that gets smacked by Duke should be receiving votes in the FBS poll.

I think he was being sarcastic.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
JMU should be receiving first place votes in the FBS polls IMO, regardless of their division I think they've earned it, 35-32 definitely means you've earned all 107 first place votes. Also when you were losing by three td's in that game shows JMU has what it takes to lose, the question is when will they.xpeacex

They have not beat a top 50 FBS team to warrant that. It would be like voting for the #1 D2 team in the FCS polls. if JMU deserves votes in the FBS poll then Grand Valley should receive votes in our polls. Had JMU beat Duke then I would say they should be receiving votes for sure. Although, if they run the table and win the national title I would say that they should receive votes, even though they won't. The media will only give FCS teams love for beating ranked FBS teams.

phoenix3
October 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
JMU should be recieving first place votes in the FBS polls IMO, regardless of their division I think they've earned it, 35-32 definently means you've earned all 107 first place votes. Also when you were losing by three td's in that game shows JMU has what it takes to lose, the question is when will they.xpeacex

That's right! And they only lost to that FBS powerhouse Duke University by three touchdowns and a field goal. FBS top ten at least!

theasushow
October 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM

I cant decide if that's sincerity or sarcasm.

ericsaid
October 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Sarcasm, sarcasm, and some more sarcasm. Sorry for not saying I was being sarcastic.

P.S. Did I say that last post was 99.9% sarcasm?

The part about them losing was indeed very truthful.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Their close win at home against Delaware isn't looking as great today. IIRC, their performance at Colgate wasn't top 15 like. Who are their other wins against? So far I still think ASU, Wofford and Elon are viewed as the top three in the SoCon. Still plenty of time to demonstrate that they're top ten material. The polls should take care of themselves by mid November. xpeacex

And yes DF the ranking of Albany has been suspect all year. Too many folks are just looking at records and not opponents and scores from the games. No way in halibut that Sacred Heart should be ranked ahead of the Danes since you guys won head to head. xoopsx :o

I'm quite suprised at what happened to Delaware. They looked real tough when they came to Greenville and had played Maryland down to the wire.

Not quite sure what to make of your Colgate comment. Furman beat them up and down the field easily.

Still, have two top five teams left on the schedule, plus a good Georgia Southern team, and a suprise Samford Squad. If we can win 3 out of those 4 you won't see any complaining from me.

theasushow
October 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm quite suprised at what happened to Delaware. They looked real tough when they came to Greenville and had played Maryland down to the wire.

Not quite sure what to make of your Colgate comment. Furman beat them up and down the field easily.

Still, have two top five teams left on the schedule, plus a good Georgia Southern team, and a suprise Samford Squad. If we can win 3 out of those 4 you won't see any complaining from me.

Tell me about it, we have Furman WC and Elon at home, 2 out of three and no complaining here either.

(Assuming we take care of business against UTC and Western)

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Sarcasm, sarcasm, and some more sarcasm. Sorry for not saying I was being sarcastic.

P.S. Did I say that last post was 99.9% sarcasm?

The part about them losing was indeed very truthful.

I need to learn to interpret the emoticons.

UDBlueLotFan
October 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out how we're still getting votes?xcoffeex.....and that's not sarcasm! xnonox

McNeese75
October 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I must say that I don't see how McNeese is ranked above Central Arkansas. McNeese lost to Texas State on October 11 at home then Central Arkansas beat Texas State on the road on October 18. McNeese has one loss against FCS opponents and Central Arkansas is undefeated against them.

Doesn't really matter because they're in the same conference and will play each other but it's kind of weird.

xrolleyesx I guess the fact McNeese totally controlled SHSU this last weekend and they only lost by couple in Conway the previous week means nothing xcoffeex

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM

1. Nova and Elon both have one loss.
2. Nova's one loss was to a I-A, a top 10 at the time) BCS WVU. Elon didn't play a I-A.
3. Nova beat UR at home by 6. Elon lost to UR AT HOME by 18.

So logically Nova would be ranked higher than Elon right? WRONG- a large # of the human pollsters don't use logic. I am completely baffled as to how these pollsters have Elon ranked ahead of Nova.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2008, 03:29 AM
They have not beat a top 50 FBS team to warrant that. It would be like voting for the #1 D2 team in the FCS polls. if JMU deserves votes in the FBS poll then Grand Valley should receive votes in our polls. Had JMU beat Duke then I would say they should be receiving votes for sure. Although, if they run the table and win the national title I would say that they should receive votes, even though they won't. The media will only give FCS teams love for beating ranked FBS teams.

I don't think this is completely true. I'm not saying JMU should be ranked in the FBS polls... but saying an FCS team would only get legitimate consideration for beating a ranked FBS team isn't true. UNI received votes last year in the AP poll... and I'm pretty sure Iowa State wasn't ranked.

Also, saying that ranking the #1 FCS team in FBS polls is the same as us ranking DII teams in our polls isn't accurate. We are in the same Division as FBS and the AP poll allows voters to vote for FCS teams. I'm not aware of any poll that allows voters to include DII teams... Sagarin and other computer rankings are only Division I as well.

th0m
October 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
That's right! And they only lost to that FBS powerhouse Duke University by three touchdowns and a field goal. FBS top ten at least!

xrolleyesx Let's talk in a couple of weeks when you've actually played a competitive schedule and may have beaten a top 5 team instead of shamelessly go down to one by 18 points at home...

JMU doesn't deserve FBS votes, neither does Elon deserve #1 votes or their #3 ranking.

PurpleandGold
October 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hey, we did better against Duke than UVA. So, by the transitive property, we're better than UVA. Now we just have to wait for the Cavs to be ranked, and thus we will also be ranked in FBS.

JMU DUUUKES
October 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
For the life of me, I can't figure out how we're still getting votes?xcoffeex.....and that's not sarcasm! xnonox

Program respect, thats why. It's a good thing.

KiddBrewer
October 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
interesting thing I saw.....

5. Northern Iowa Panthers 5-2 2,033 6
6. Cal Poly Mustangs (1) 4-1 2,022 5
7. Villanova Wildcats 5-1 2,018 7

5 6 and 7 only separated by 15 points

expect a lot of movement in the top 7 as the year goes on.

GOOD THING THESE POLLS DON'T DECIDE WHO PLAYS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!xcoffeex xthumbsupx xcoffeex xrulesx xthumbsupx