PDA

View Full Version : If App State Loses To Western, are they out?

Thumper250
November 7th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Can you imagine the ruckus if 7-4 Appalachian State gets the stiff arm in favor of a 10-1 Coastal Carolina squad?

Is that possible if they lose to Western?

If that happens, WCU gets the SoCon auto bid. The #2 slot, I'd think, goes to 9-2 Furman. The #3 slot would go to 8-3 Georgia Southern probably.

Thoughts?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Can you imagine the ruckus if 7-4 Appalachian State gets the stiff arm in favor of a 10-1 Coastal Carolina squad?

If that happens, WCU gets the SoCon auto bid. The #2 slot, I'd think, goes to 9-2 Furman. The #3 slot would go to 8-3 Georgia Southern probably.

Thoughts?

I don't think they deserve to be in a 7-4. My reasoning is their AD or whoever made the schedule knew he was more or less building two losses into the schedule. From my perspective they traded $$$ for W's. If they're 7-4 and left out they have no reason to complain. Playing two 1-A teams, and of that caliber, IMHO is stupid. The new computers and books in library might make it a little easier to deal with though.

Baldy
November 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Thoughts?

Actually the #1 slot and auto bid would go to the Eagles because GSU beat WCU head to head. What sucks is that eventhough WCU would be the #2, it's likely they'll be left out because of Katrina. Their game against Nichols State was canceled and they won't have the required number of DI wins.

SpiritCymbal
November 7th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Thoughts?
Actually, WCU can not get the automatic bid without a coin toss. If WCU beats ASU and then ASU, FU and WCU win their remaining SoCon games, then there would be a 4 way tie for the SoCon Championship. The 1st tiebreaker is head to head matchups. ASU and FU would be eliminated at that point for the auto bid as WCU and GSU would have a 2-1 record against all the teams tied while ASU and FU would have a 1-2 record. The 2nd tiebreaker would be head to head result between the remaining teams which would give the SoCon Automatic Bid to GSU. If there ends up being a 3 way tie for first and a coin toss is made, who knows what will happen. In my opinion, that would be the only way WCU gets into the playoffs.

Here's the reality.....If WCU beats ASU then it's possible that the SoCon would only have two teams in teh playoffs (Furman and Ga. Southern) with App. St. the 3rd SoCon team waiting on the wings. I seriously doubt WCU will get into the playoffs even with a share of the SoCon crown.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Thoughts?

tell ya what? if we lose to WCU this weekend, I will never post here again

GSUISBACK
November 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Go WCU!!!!!!!!!

Eaglegus2
November 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
tell ya what? if we lose to WCU this weekend, I will never post here again

I find that hard to believe, sir!

gsugt1
November 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I find that hard to believe, sir!

I find it hard to believe that you are posting on this site :eek:

ravens
November 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM
GSU is already in. Appy is in unless they lose both to WCU and Elon.
If they lose to WCU, and Furman gets a share to make it a 4 way tie....hmmmm..WCU wins the coin toss and SoCon gets 4 or what?

WCU got ripped on the Katrina deal as did Nuckolls State who also needs the Southland autobid though they have a single conference loss.
Maybe the committee reconsiders on acts of nature.

WUTNDITWAA
November 7th, 2005, 06:02 PM
No reason to waste bandwith on such a discussion, but if the unthinkable does happen, Appalachian is out, and yep Coastal is in. The Chants may be in anyways.

catamount man
November 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM
No reason to waste bandwith on such a discussion...

He woke up on November 13, 2004 thinking the exact same thing! ;) :spank: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ravens
November 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
losing to WCU is a possibility...they are on a streak....losing to Elon is unimagineable...

WUTNDITWAA
November 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
He woke up on November 13, 2004 thinking the exact same thing! ;) :spank: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

No he didn't.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Go WCU!!!!!!!!!

:lmao:

SpiritCymbal
November 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
GSU is already in. Appy is in unless they lose both to WCU and Elon.
If they lose to WCU, and Furman gets a share to make it a 4 way tie....hmmmm..WCU wins the coin toss and SoCon gets 4 or what?

If it's a 4 way tie, there wouldn't be a coin toss. 4 way tie by a WCU win over ASU would give the Auto to GSU.

Unfortunately, WCU may end up with a share of the SoCon championship, but will not make the playoffs either way.

GSUBass
November 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
GSU still has to get past Morehead. I'm hoping the team doesn't have a giant let down after that HUGE win over furman.

OL FU
November 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Actually the #1 slot and auto bid would go to the Eagles because GSU beat WCU head to head. What sucks is that eventhough WCU would be the #2, it's likely they'll be left out because of Katrina. Their game against Nichols State was canceled and they won't have the required number of DI wins.

They would not have got in even without that cancellation. The best they can do now is 6-3, 7-3 (including a D-II win which means 6 D-I wins) without Katrina. The problem was scheduling 10 games.

and ASU gets in at 7 -4 They are rated too high to miss the playoffs unless Elon beats them and then I would imagine through clinched teeth most ASU fans would agree that they should not get in.

ravens
November 7th, 2005, 07:41 PM
If it's a 4 way tie, there wouldn't be a coin toss. 4 way tie by a WCU win over ASU would give the Auto to GSU.

Unfortunately, WCU may end up with a share of the SoCon championship, but will not make the playoffs either way.

But a 3 way coin toss ( without Furman ) and WCU could get autobid

Cincy App
November 7th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I don't think they deserve to be in a 7-4. My reasoning is their AD or whoever made the schedule knew he was more or less building two losses into the schedule. From my perspective they traded $$$ for W's. If they're 7-4 and left out they have no reason to complain. Playing two 1-A teams, and of that caliber, IMHO is stupid. The new computers and books in library might make it a little easier to deal with though.

A 7-4 ASU team would be on the bubble - and likely would not make the field. Still, the purpose of selecting at-large teams is to select the best 8 teams available. The "7 win" criteria makes more sense than the "4 loss" elimination. If the record is all that counts, then let's put San Diego in the field. Please remember that money is the primary reason why we are all in Division I-AA. We play cost containment football. It shouldn't matter whether "cost containment" is a gross figure or a net amount (net of 2 significant paychecks).

IMO, ASU would not make the field at 7-4 because they would be the 3rd team from their conference at that point. Don't be surprised though if a 7-4 second place team from the Big Sky makes the field.

By the way, ASU can finish 7-4 and make the field as long as the win is against WCU. A win Saturday and ASU clinches the SoCon as it would win any tiebreakers at that point even if they stumble against Elon. A WCU win gives the auto bid to GSU.

ravens
November 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
A 7-4 ASU team would be on the bubble - and likely would not make the field. Still, the purpose of selecting at-large teams is to select the best 8 teams available. The "7 win" criteria makes more sense than the "4 loss" elimination. If the record is all that counts, then let's put San Diego in the field. Please remember that money is the primary reason why we are all in Division I-AA. We play cost containment football. It shouldn't matter whether "cost containment" is a gross figure or a net amount (net of 2 significant paychecks).

IMO, ASU would not make the field at 7-4 because they would be the 3rd team from their conference at that point. Don't be surprised though if a 7-4 second place team from the Big Sky makes the field.

By the way, ASU can finish 7-4 and make the field as long as the win is against WCU. A win Saturday and ASU clinches the SoCon as it would win any tiebreakers at that point even if they stumble against Elon. A WCU win gives the auto bid to GSU.

A WCU win doesn't give GSU the autobid, not if Furman loses a game and Appy beats Elon.

SpiritCymbal
November 7th, 2005, 07:59 PM
A win Saturday and ASU clinches the SoCon as it would win any tiebreakers at that point even if they stumble against Elon. A WCU win gives the auto bid to GSU.

If ASU wins against WCU and loses to Elon, wouldn't it be a coin toss between ASU, FU and GSU?

Cincy App
November 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM
If ASU wins against WCU and loses to Elon, wouldn't it be a coin toss between ASU, FU and GSU?

It was my understanding that in a 3-way tie, you would next look at how they did against the 4th place team, etc. When two teams remain, then head-to-head returns as the decider.

If the SoCon truly uses a coin toss, then you're right. Who has a three-sided coin though?

ngineer
November 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM
:shakingma :shakingma :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :deadhorse :deadhorse xlolx xlolx :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :argue: :argue: :bang: :bang: ;) ;)

ravens
November 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM
It was my understanding that in a 3-way tie, you would next look at how they did against the 4th place team, etc. When two teams remain, then head-to-head returns as the decider.

If the SoCon truly uses a coin toss, then you're right. Who has a three-sided coin though?

We don't use a 3 sided coin in NC...2 sided coins are scarce..we use that old game from childhood " Paper, Scissors, Stone" but then discover we still have a 3 way tie...." so they commence to odd maning right there "

ASU Kep
November 7th, 2005, 11:28 PM

lose to E-L-O-N? xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 05:45 AM
We don't use a 3 sided coin in NC...2 sided coins are scarce..we use that old game from childhood " Paper, Scissors, Stone" but then discover we still have a 3 way tie...." so they commence to odd maning right there "

Great Andy Griffith quip.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM
lose to E-L-O-N? xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

It could happen, ASU lost to an 0-10 VM1 one season.

Just hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

ravens
November 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM
very good
.....I was wondering if there was anyone old enough and native enough to catch it...
love to hear the dialect and remember the wooded setting and North Gate at Chapel Hill....makes me want to go get another Big Orange

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
It could happen, ASU lost to an 0-10 VM1 one season.

Just hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

05, come on man, i thought u were a fan, u should be calling people crazy for thinking we would lose to Elon

LacesOut
November 8th, 2005, 07:45 AM
A 7-4 team that does not win its conference does not get in, IMO. They should not get in, I should say.

There's no reason to schedule two, TWO, I-A teams. Well, there is a reason, and we all know it. I don't have to say it. So I won't.

ravens
November 8th, 2005, 07:46 AM
05, come on man, i thought u were a fan, u should be calling people crazy for thinking we would lose to Elon

No one except GSU wants you to lose to Elon. That would mean both you and WCU stay home in the hills.

ravens
November 8th, 2005, 07:48 AM
No one except GSU wants you to lose to Elon. That would mean both you and WCU stay home in the hills.

WCU will be looking to whoop you Saturday, then offering to help you the next week so we can have a 3 way tie and draw straws.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 07:57 AM
WCU will be looking to whoop you Saturday, then offering to help you the next week so we can have a 3 way tie and draw straws.

tis the life in the SoCon

SuperEagle
November 8th, 2005, 08:35 AM
If App's players are half as cocky as the App fans that post on here then they will lose on Saturday. What makes them so cocky? If someone mentions the thought of them losing to anyone they take offense. App, why do you guys think you are so good? Because you spanked GSU? Congrats. Guess what, you're one of 3 teams that beat us. I wouldn't thump my chest to much on that one. You've currently played 2 ranked teams and you're 1-1 against them. You're not the next coming of USC based on that. Wow, has there ever been a cockier 3 loss team?

GannonFan
November 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Gotta chime in that another loss by Appy St and they're probably out (barring disasters by other teams that could finish 8-3 otherwise). Blame yourselves for scheduling two I-A's (and one, LSU, that you had no prayer of beating - at least Kansas was beatable). And then losing to Western Carolina late in the year would be a huge blow regardless. And of course if you beat WCU only to lose to Elon then you would have the NCAA have to invoke its super secret Playoff Guideline - any team that loses to Elon is automatically eliminated from the playoffs.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
If App's players are half as cocky as the App fans that post on here then they will lose on Saturday. What makes them so cocky? If someone mentions the thought of them losing to anyone they take offense. App, why do you guys think you are so good? Because you spanked GSU? Congrats. Guess what, you're one of 3 teams that beat us. I wouldn't thump my chest to much on that one. You've currently played 2 ranked teams and you're 1-1 against them. You're not the next coming of USC based on that. Wow, has there ever been a cockier 3 loss team?

not cocky, just confident

When it comes to Elon, yes, probably cocky, but trust me, I am wary of Western, I just think we have a better team

as for the 3 losses, I really only look at it as 1 loss, but I'm sure most of you don't

and if we lose to Western, I agree that we don't deserve to be in the playoffs

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM
not cocky, just confident

When it comes to Elon, yes, probably cocky, but trust me, I am wary of Western, I just think we have a better team

as for the 3 losses, I really only look at it as 1 loss, but I'm sure most of you don't

and if we lose to Western, I agree that we don't deserve to be in the playoffs

Considering WCU beat Furman and we didn't. We beat Coastal like a drum, and Coastal goes to the play-offs instead of us? I say for get it at that point.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Gotta chime in that another loss by Appy St and they're probably out (barring disasters by other teams that could finish 8-3 otherwise). Blame yourselves for scheduling two I-A's (and one, LSU, that you had no prayer of beating - at least Kansas was beatable). And then losing to Western Carolina late in the year would be a huge blow regardless. And of course if you beat WCU only to lose to Elon then you would have the NCAA have to invoke its super secret Playoff Guideline - any team that loses to Elon is automatically eliminated from the playoffs.

Let's see. ASU beat GSU 24-7. LSU beat ASU by 24 in Baton Rouge.
Where does that leave GSU in the pecking order?

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM

You weren't around the year we lost to an 0-10 VMI evidently. That VMI team was much much sorrier than this year's Elon team.We had lost to Wake in Winston-Salem by only 2 pts, drubbed NC A&T by 45, Citadel by 56-14, Furman by 30-6, Marshall by 10, Chatt by 24, and WCU by 7 the week before..and we losing to an f'n 0-10 VMI team.

Believe me, we play like that, and we're history in the Burnt Bird's little house.
The hatred the FeeNIcks have for us is beyond description...and we love it.
Remember we were the ONLY school who didn't vote for their admittance.
It would not only make their year, it would make their millenium.

To boot, Elon has the best LB in the conference.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
You weren't around the year we lost to an 0-10 VMI evidently. That VMI team was much much sorrier than this year's Elon team.We had lost to Wake in Winston-Salem by only 2 pts, drubbed NC A&T by 45, Citadel by 56-14, Furman by 30-6, Marshall by 10, Chatt by 24, and WCU by 7 the week before..and we losing to an f'n 0-10 VMI team.

Believe me, we play like that, and we're history in the Burnt Bird's little house.
The hatred the FeeNIcks have for us is beyond description...and we love it.
Remember we were the ONLY school who didn't vote for their admittance.
It would not only make their year, it would make their millenium.

if we lose to either, we don't deserve it, enough said

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I dunno. 14 to 0 in the THIRD quarter?
Beats the hell out of the 70-0 predictions, wouldn't you say?

phyrbirdphan
November 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
don't forget ASU has to play the following weekend,at Elon and We all know how "on any given Saturday, anything can and does happen!"
anything is possible but not probable, only promise is that We will show up with a knowledge that appst is not unbeatable!!!

Appdad
November 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I only thing I know is if Western loses then their football/track guys will be switching practice fields on Monday.

R.A.
November 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I'd say they were out.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I only thing I know is if Western loses then their football/track guys will be switching practice fields on Monday.

Ouch! :eyebrow:

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
don't forget ASU has to play the following weekend,at Elon and We all know how "on any given Saturday, anything can and does happen!"
anything is possible but not probable, only promise is that We will show up with a knowledge that appst is not unbeatable!!!

I believe it. Just hoping my boys won't let it happen.
Hamilton has beaten ASU before.

If we lose, we're going to claim we didn't bring our A game. :cool:

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
If we lose, we're going to claim we didn't bring our A game. :cool:

CLASSIC! :nod:

SoCon48
November 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM
CLASSIC! :nod:

Just couldn't resist. :beerchug:

Hit the dirt, "Incoming" It has a French chicken painted on the sides.

Black and Gold Express
November 10th, 2005, 08:53 AM
But a 3 way coin toss ( without Furman ) and WCU could get autobid

There will be no coin toss. How more clearly can this be stated?

Let's prove this, once and for all.

ASU can go 6-1, which gives us the title outright.

Regardless of what GSU does this weekend, their SoCon slate is finished. They are 5-2.

Furman is 3-2 right now. If they get to 5-2, GSU has them on the first tiebreaker (head to head). They can do no better than a second place finish.

Western would be 5-2 with a win. But GSU takes them on head to head. Game over.

Now here's the one scenario that could make things odd. The possibility remains that ASU could still lose one game, and get in at 7-4 with the automatic bid. If Furman loses one game, ASU BEATS Western, but loses to Elon, ASU still gets the auto bid because the first tiebreak goes to ASU over the lone remaining contender, GSU.