PDA

View Full Version : What teams have a chance to be seeded?

TypicalTribe
November 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
As of right now, I think UNH and Montana would definitely be seeds and SIU has the inside track on one as well. After that, I think the following teams also have chances by winning out or if some of the referenced teams slip up:

Hampton - Committee could reward them like 11-0 Colgate in 2003
Appy St - #3 in GPI, but three losses potentially the weakness for their case
UMass - if UNH somehow stumbles
Texas St - if win out and Montana loses, maybe become the West's seed
Furman - now the dark horse, needs ASU to lose to WCU for a shot

So, a total of 8 teams. I can't really see a scenario that allows GSU, Cal Poly or Montana St to get a seed, or even a late-charging UNI team. Any thoughts?

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I think the seeds will be UNH, Montana, SIU, and App

umassfan
November 7th, 2005, 03:48 PM
As of right now, I think UNH and Montana would definitely be seeds and SIU has the inside track on one as well. After that, I think the following teams also have chances by winning out or if some of the referenced teams slip up:

So, a total of 8 teams. I can't really see a scenario that allows GSU, Cal Poly or Montana St to get a seed, or even a late-charging UNI team. Any thoughts?
If UMass beats Army and Hofstra we have just as much chance as anyone to get a seed.

TypicalTribe
November 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I think the seeding discussions between ASU and Hampton will be very interesting and I think the Mountaineers will lose out. However, I think Hampton will draw a difficult opponent and ASU will be on the other side, so there's a good chance they'll get a couple of home games.

OL FU
November 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Based on the schedule in front of them. I think UNH and Hampton are the safe pick now. I know all the arguments against it but I don't see an 11-0 team from a auto conference not getting seeded. Montana has MSU on the road. If they win that they are seeded. If SIU wins out they are seeded. and that would be the four. If UM or SIU loses, next in line would be ASU and then it would be between FU and Texas St.

TypicalTribe
November 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM
If UMass beats Army and Hofstra we have just as much chance as anyone to get a seed.

Possible, but I think UMass needs at least one team to lose for a seed to fall to them.

OL FU
November 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Possible, but I think UMass needs at least one team to lose for a seed to fall to them.
Every team we mentioned above them has no more 1 I-AA loss. I think that is where they will look first. I think it is a good point though. If it gets to two I-AA loss teams then UMass would be right there with Furman and TxST.

colgate13
November 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM

I think that's wishful thinking. 11-0 will not go unrewarded IMO.

footballsmarts1
November 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
i think UMASS gets a seed if they win out.. they have 2 i-aa losses ( one to the #1 team in the nation. but it will also own a I-a win. which has to be looked at

R.A.
November 7th, 2005, 06:40 PM
The Pirates are getting seeded, No question at this point.

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
This may come very weird for some too hear and when I heard it on the news tonight I was a bit stunned; YSU's AD said he talked with Gateway and NCAA Officials and he says chances are around 80% they will make it win without even caring about the UNI-SIU Game. But if SIU Does win they have a very good chance of hosting a game due to their very high attendance average.

I doubt this will occur but chances are real good for the Penguins...Too bad we can't host a game; YSU Could check out one of the best I-AA Stadiums in the LAND!

OL FU
November 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I think that's wishful thinking. 11-0 will not go unrewarded IMO.

Absolutely agree. I cannot imagine the NCAA not seeding Hampton.

OL FU
November 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM
i think UMASS gets a seed if they win out.. they have 2 i-aa losses ( one to the #1 team in the nation. but it will also own a I-a win. which has to be looked at

Not without a UNH, UM, SIU, or Hampton loss.

catbob
November 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM
What would the chances of MSU having a seed if they finish 8-3 with loses to Oklahoma State, Cal Poly, and Portland State?

They would own wins over SFA, NDSU, EWU, UM, Weber, NAU, Sac St, & ISU.

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM
What would the chances of MSU having a seed if they finish 8-3 with loses to Oklahoma State, Cal Poly, and Portland State?

They would own wins over SFA, NDSU, EWU, UM, Weber, NAU, Sac St, & ISU.

I'd think that they've have a pretty good chance, especially because they would have just knocked off the assumed seed Montana and taken the Big Sky auto-bid. With so few teams with less than 3 losses, they would be in the mix, depending on how the other teams finish out.

Catsfan
November 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I think it's UNH, Montana, Hampton, and either App St or SIU. If only one of those 2 gets the autobid, then they're seeded. If they both get it, I'd bet on App.

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I think it's UNH, Montana, Hampton, and either App St or SIU. If only one of those 2 gets the autobid, then they're seeded. If they both get it, I'd bet on App.

I still think SIU would get it because it would balance the field better.

#1 UNH and #4 Hampton on one side of the bracket
#2 Montana and #3 SIU on the other

The, the committee can put ASU in Hampton's bracket so they will either get a 2nd round home game or have the easiest 2nd round matchup against a seed.

HensRock
November 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I'd think that they've have a pretty good chance, especially because they would have just knocked off the assumed seed Montana and taken the Big Sky auto-bid. With so few teams with less than 3 losses, they would be in the mix, depending on how the other teams finish out.

Disagree. 8-3 MSU has no chance at a seed. Knock off Montana and there will be no seed from the Big Sky State (or conference for that matter).

For the record:
I don't understand how everyone is simply penciling in Montana for a seed ahead of Hampton. Montana has a very tough game against MSU coming up. Hampton has a relatively easy schedule to coast to 11-0. And YES, they will be seeded at 11-0. BTW, Colgate was 12-0 to finish the regular season in 2003. I'm suprised 13 didn't catch this one. But the point is still made - 11-0 Hampton will be seeded, no question.

I think your seeds are (in order of decreasing probablility - not seed order!)

1. 11-0 Hampton (win out against FAMU & Savannah State)
2. 10-1 UNH (win out against Iona & Maine)
3. 8-3 App State (win out against WCU & Elon)
4. 9-2 Montana (win out against Sac St. & MSU)
5. 9-2 SIU (win out against UNI & NDSU - no small order!)
6. 9-2 Furman (win out against Wofford & Chatt.)
7. 9-2 UMass (win out against Army & Hofstra)
8. 9-2 Lehigh (win out against Fordham & Lafayette)
9. 8-3 GSU (win against Morehead)
10. 10-1 Coastal Carolina (win out against D-II Mansfield and Chrl. Southern)

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
BTW, Colgate was 12-0 to finish the regular season in 2003. I'm suprised 13 didn't catch this one.

I'll try not to let you down in the future!

But undefeated is undefeated. I think for these purposes 12-0/11-0 is pretty much the same.