PDA

View Full Version : Can UTM make to the playoffs?

Weems
October 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure... Can they make it? If they win out, i am guessing they will get a bid. If TSU wins the OVC, UTM will finish second probably.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
with the ovc's history of not winning playoff games I would say it is highly unlikely you get two teams in so you need to win your conference... that said... you are going to need some help... having already lost to tenn st... they need to lose twice for you to get the auto... your only other option is to win out and sweat on selection sunday

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM
If they win out that would mean a win over Auburn. Hard to keep a 8-2 (Div I) team with an FBS win, and FBS loss and an OT FCS loss to a conference champ out.

I don't see that happening though, do you?

Now if they lose to Auburn (likely) then you'll be sitting at 7-3, which may be tough, considering the OVC's horrendous playoff history.

If they lose to Auburn and one other game, then I don't think there's a shot.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
They will need to win the OVC to get a bid. They still have a loss at Auburn coming and two of their wins are non-counters (Baker and Concordia).

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
so you are saying it aint looking good!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
At 9-3 I think you'd have a chance, but you'd need some help. Liberty stumbling down the stretch would help. The Patriot League frontrunners beating themselves up would help. If the SoCon were a 2-bid conference that would help.

Isn't it possible that UTM could win the OVC if the win the rest of their league games and Tennessee State falters once, and it comes to a coin flip? I think between two teams TSU would get the win due to head-to-head, but if there are multiple 1-loss teams...

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
so you are saying it aint looking good!

Assuming a loss at Auburn....I'd say not likely. But who knows....EKU shouldn't have gotten in last year either, but they did. For some reason the OVC seems to get second teams in when no one thinks they will.

th0m
October 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Scheduling two DII's and two FBS games just isn't the best way to make the playoffs with an at-large. Even if UTM wins out (with an Auburn loss) they'll be 7-3 and there'll be plenty of teams that have a better resume (plus better quality win than just EKU and perhaps EIU).

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I thought EKU had the autobid and EIU got in, undeservedly.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Scheduling two DII's and two FBS games just isn't the best way to make the playoffs with an at-large. Even if UTM wins out (with an Auburn loss) they'll be 7-3 and there'll be plenty of teams that have a better resume (plus better quality win than just EKU and perhaps EIU).

A lot will depend on people's thoughts on Jacksonville State - another possible at-large candidate. If UTM beats them, Jax Sate may be a Top 25 team, and could be a quality win as pointed out by the committee. As important, two FBS losses to BCS teams and a loss to nationally-ranked TSU (which they would be if they run the table) may not look so bad.

I still think they need help. A Liberty slip-up - in the BSC or against Elon - IMO would boost their chances considerably, since the Flames also have two D-II wins and a much weaker schedule overall and only a win over Youngstown State to really show the committee.

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I thought EKU had the autobid and EIU got in, undeservedly.

You're right. Flipped them around. Darn directional schools.

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
A lot will depend on people's thoughts on Jacksonville State - another possible at-large candidate. If UTM beats them, Jax Sate may be a Top 25 team, and could be a quality win as pointed out by the committee. As important, two FBS losses to BCS teams and a loss to nationally-ranked TSU (which they would be if they run the table) may not look so bad.

I still think they need help. A Liberty slip-up - in the BSC or against Elon - IMO would boost their chances considerably, since the Flames also have two D-II wins and a much weaker schedule overall and only a win over Youngstown State to really show the committee.

Liberty's loss to Lafayette knocks them out of the playoffs unless they blow Elon out, IMO.

Its going to be very hard for the OVC to get two in this year.

RabidRabbit
October 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
With two D-II games, IMHO, Skyhawks don't make it unless auto bid.

Would a 7-3 (DI) with ONLY in OVC wins for D-I wins be better than an 8-4 SDSU, or 8-4 Richmond? xsmhx xsmhx

hawkeye
October 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Two D-II games on the schedule is not good. Regardless, we have a long way to go. Jax St. and Eastern Kentucky remain on UTM schedule. Good news, we have both of them at home. Still hurting over the OT loss to Tenn State. Tenn St. does have Tenn Tech, Eastern Ill., Jax St and Murray remaining. Austin Peay gave them a run and I feel like Eastern Ill or Jax St. can blemish the record. Another words..........alot of football left.

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I too think UTM needs to win the autobid to make it. There's no way they'll have a better resume than major conference schools who have a similar record. I don't put much stock in the Liberty comparison, as they're likely out of contention, as well.