PDA

View Full Version : CAA Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM
CAA FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK -- OCT. 20
RICHMOND, Va. (October 20, 2008) -- CAA Football announced its Player of the Week honorees, Monday, Oct. 20. Four individuals earned honors after helping each of their squads to wins on the field Saturday, including Richmond's Josh Vaughan and Justin Rogers, William and Mary's Josh Rutter and Maine's Jared Turcotte.

CAA Football Offensive Player of the Week - Josh Vaughan, RB, Richmond Vaughan, the CAA Football Offensive Player of the Week, led Richmond to a 30-15 win on the road over Massachusetts. Vaughan finished the day with a career-high 156 rushing yards and two touchdowns. The Richmond, Va., native helped the Spiders snap what was a 16-game home winning streak for the Minutemen on a day celebrated as UMass' Homecoming. For Vaughan, his 100+ yard effort was the eighth of his career, while his two touchdowns now give him 23 in four seasons. Vaughan averaged 7.4 yards per rush over his 21 carries, and has now amassed 373 rushing yards and six touchdowns over the last three games for Richmond.

CAA Football Defensive Player of the Week - Josh Rutter, LB, William and Mary Rutter grabbed CAA Football Defensive Player of the Week honors after helping William and Mary to a 27-3 victory at Delaware. The Union Bridge, Md., native, recorded eight tackles for a defense which kept the Blue Hens' offense out of the endzone for the first time in 116 Delaware home games. Rutter, who also garnered three tackles for loss in the contest, also helped the Tribe defense in limiting Delaware to just 145 yards of total offense. The senior finished his day by hauling in an interception late in the third quarter, aiding a William and Mary pass defense which allowed just 45 yards in the air for Delaware.

CAA Football Special Teams Player of the Week - Justin Rogers, KR/PR, Richmond Rogers, the CAA Football Special Teams Player of the Week, helped Richmond win the field-position battle on the road at Massachusetts.
The sophomore kick returner totalled five returns on the day, including two punt returns for 55 yards and three kick returns for 63 yards. The Baton Rouge, La., native logged a career-best 45-yard punt return late in the third quarter. Richmond, which snapped UMass' 16-game home win streak, held an average starting field position of their own 48 on the day, due in large part to Rogers' returns. Rogers also logged two tackles and a pair of pass break-ups in the win.

CAA Football Rookie of the Week - Jared Turcotte, RB, Maine Turcotte earned CAA Football Rookie of the Week honors after accounting for 189 all-purpose yards in Maine's, 41-40, double-overtime win over Hofstra. Turcotte rushed for 120 yards and a touchdown, marking his first-career 100-yard rushing game, and caught five passes for 69 yards and the game-tying touchdown. The Lewiston, Maine, native snapped a 20-20 tie with just 34 seconds left in the third quarter when he broke free for a 71-yard touchdown run. The redshirt freshman later caught a 25-yard screen pass and ran it in for a touchdown, setting up the game-winning PAT on the Black Bear's first offensive play in the second overtime.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Since Hen fans haven't had much to talk about in a positive way, I'd like to give my own Honorable Mention to Hen punter Stuart Kenworthy (sad that the punter was our best weapon). In 10 punts he pinned W&M inside the 20 SEVEN times, SIX of which were inside of the 11 yard line. xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Since Hen fans haven't had much to talk about in a positive way, I'd like to give my own Honorable Mention to Hen punter Stuart Kenworthy (sad that the punter was our best weapon). In 10 punts he pinned W&M inside the 20 SEVEN times, SIX of which were inside of the 11 yard line. xpeacex

I'll second that Honorable Mention! That's darn good work. Of course, it makes it just that much more painful that W&M was still able to score often despite so much poor field position.

th0m
October 20th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Whaaaat, no JMU players?

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Make that a third! That's some great punting!

I suppose what makes it that much more painful is that the UD offense obviously got pretty close to, too.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'll second that Honorable Mention! That's darn good work. Of course, it makes it just that much more painful that W&M was still able to score often despite so much poor field position.

Make that a third! That's some great punting!

I suppose what makes it that much more painful is that the UD offense obviously got pretty close to, too.
Yup. Twice W&M went 93 yards for TD's. However at the start of the third quarter W&M started drives on the 22, 10, 8 and 6 yard lines and didn't really move the ball, which gave the Hens starting postions of the 50, 47 and W&M 48. The next possession UD intercepted W&M on their 44 but threw a pick back on the next play. xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

BTW, the other unfortunate thing was all that pinning deep was in the opposite endzone from me. :p

mainejeff
October 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Turcotte is a beast.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
CAA Football Defensive Player of the Week - Josh Rutter, LB, William and Mary Rutter grabbed CAA Football Defensive Player of the Week honors after helping William and Mary to a 27-3 victory at Delaware. The Union Bridge, Md., native, recorded eight tackles for a defense which kept the Blue Hens' offense out of the endzone for the first time in 116 Delaware home games. Rutter, who also garnered three tackles for loss in the contest, also helped the Tribe defense in limiting Delaware to just 145 yards of total offense. The senior finished his day by hauling in an interception late in the third quarter, aiding a William and Mary pass defense which allowed just 45 yards in the air for Delaware.
I've always liked him. But I'm pretty sure I saw him on crutches at the end of the game. :(

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I've always liked him. But I'm pretty sure I saw him on crutches at the end of the game. :(

You did indeed. Possible broken foot suffered at the end of the INT return.