YaleFootballFan
October 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ivy League - Week 5 Games

Saturday, October 25th
CORNELL at BROWN, 12:30 pm
HARVARD at PRINCETON, 12:30 pm
PENN at YALE, 12:30 pm (YES NETWORK)
DARTMOUTH at COLUMBIA, 4:00 pm (VERSUS)

GAME OF THE WEEK: Penn at Yale. Two pretty even teams, one off to a surprising start (Penn) and the other a disappointment thus far (Yale). Can Yale's offense get back on track?

DUD OF THE WEEK: Dartmouth at Columbia. And this game is on national television?!?!?

PREDICTIONS: Last week I was 5-1 (I picked Yale over Fordham) and improved to 25-7 on the year. This week I'm picking Brown, Harvard, Penn and Columbia.

Go...gate
October 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Ivy League - Week 5 Games

Saturday, October 25th
CORNELL at BROWN, 12:30 pm
HARVARD at PRINCETON, 12:30 pm
PENN at YALE, 12:30 pm (YES NETWORK)
DARTMOUTH at COLUMBIA, 4:00 pm (VERSUS)

GAME OF THE WEEK: Penn at Yale. Two pretty even teams, one off to a surprising start (Penn) and the other a disappointment thus far (Yale). Can Yale's offense get back on track?

DUD OF THE WEEK: Dartmouth at Columbia. And this game is on national television?!?!?

PREDICTIONS: Last week I was 5-1 (I picked Yale over Fordham) and improved to 25-7 on the year. This week I'm picking Brown, Harvard, Penn and Columbia.

At least that game has a chance to be competitive. My pick: Harvard at Princeton. I think the Cantabs will win over the toothless Tigers by 3-4 touchdowns.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Brown, Harvard, Penn and Dartmouth

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Brown, Harvard, Yale and Columbia.xthumbsupx

Columbia only lost to Penn in Philly by 5. So, what the heck!

brownbear
October 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Brown, Harvard, Yale and Columbia.xthumbsupx

Columbia only lost to Penn in Philly by 5. So, what the heck!

Dartmouth has looked horrible so far. This seems like it may be Columbia's chance to pick up a win finally.

I think the loser of this game goes 0-10, the winner 1-9 this year

I have the same predictions as IvyTalk

bonarae
October 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Brown by 4 (close)
Harvard by 14
Yale by 6 (close)
Columbia by 3 (close, tough to call though)

YaleFootballFan
October 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
3 of the 4 games are in the books....

Harvard 24, Princeton 20
Brown 27, Cornell 7
Penn 9, Yale 7

In progress: Columbia leads Dartmouth 14-7 at the half. Game is on VERSUS.

The Yale/Penn game was perhaps one of the worst football games I have ever attended. It was a game of inept offenses. Yale's offense managed only 6 first downs, 15 rushing yards and 92 total yards. Penn wasn't much better (just 3 field goals on they day), but they did take advantage of Yale's second half mistakes, scoring twice off Eli turnovers.

Penn improves to 3-0 in the Ivy. Not to take anything away from the Quakers, but all 3 wins have come against the Ivy's three worst teams: Dartmouth, Columbia and Yale. But hey, 3-0 is 3-0. Let's see how they fare against the mighty Brown Bears next week.

brownbear
October 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
3 of the 4 games are in the books....

Harvard 24, Princeton 20
Brown 27, Cornell 7
Penn 9, Yale 7

In progress: Columbia leads Dartmouth 14-7 at the half. Game is on VERSUS.

The Yale/Penn game was perhaps one of the worst football games I have ever attended. It was a game of inept offenses. Yale's offense managed only 6 first downs, 15 rushing yards and 92 total yards. Penn wasn't much better (just 3 field goals on they day), but they did take advantage of Yale's second half mistakes, scoring twice off Eli turnovers.

Penn improves to 3-0 in the Ivy. Not to take anything away from the Quakers, but all 3 wins have come against the Ivy's three worst teams: Dartmouth, Columbia and Yale. But hey, 3-0 is 3-0. Let's see how they fare against the mighty Brown Bears next week.

I'm still trying to figure out how good Penn and Yale are. Penn narrowly beats Columbia last weekend, but beats Yale this weekend. Should be a good game next week in Philly.

bulldog10jw
October 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Penn 9, Yale 7

YES must be thrilled that they have Yale-Columbia next week.

I think Yale actually tried to sit on a 7-0 lead. Maybe if it wasn't for that stupid fake punt, they
could have.

brownbear
October 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I think Yale actually tried to sit on a 7-0 lead. Maybe if it wasn't for that stupid fake punt, they
could have.

Versus did luck out and is getting Penn-Brown next week, after showing Dartmouth-Columbia this week. That is one of the worst national tv mathcups probably ever (with the exception of any NBC Notre Dame game).

Also, for Brown, this is our first 3-0 Ivy start in league history!

YaleFootballFan
October 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how good Penn and Yale are. Penn narrowly beats Columbia last weekend, but beats Yale this weekend. Should be a good game next week in Philly.

You guys should be able to beat Penn. They looked awful today (and Yale looked even worse).

YaleFootballFan
October 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Also, for Brown, this is our first 3-0 Ivy start in league history!

After Penn next week, Brown has Yale, Dartmouth and Columbia.

Can you say 7-0?

brownbear
October 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
After Penn next week, Brown has Yale, Dartmouth and Columbia.

Can you say 7-0?

That would be amazing if it happens! If we can get through the next two weeks (no easy task at all), then we should be able to go the distance, but we have occasionally lost to Columbia and Dartmouth when we were a better team.

LCFan21
October 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM

could have.

We have seen the "prevent offense" technique used ourselves here and there. (Assist to Carney - he coined that phrase I think)

Where did Yale's offense go? This is surprising to say the least. Fordham is not a good football team - I just can't see how a team drops off the charts like my 401K account.

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Good come-from-behind win by Harvard, 24-20 at Princeton. Gino Gordon scored the winner with 3 1/2 minutes left.xnodx

bulldog10jw
October 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
We have seen the "prevent offense" technique used ourselves here and there. (Assist to Carney - he coined that phrase I think)

Where did Yale's offense go? This is surprising to say the least. Fordham is not a good football team - I just can't see how a team drops off the charts like my 401K account.

I think this just an indication of how important the offensive line was to Yale the last couple of years. McLeod is constantly tackled almost as soon as he touches the ball and the QB's are consistantly under pressure when trying to pass. The other teams are not blitzing, the O-Line is just getting beaten. That coupled with the fact that McLeod looks like he never recovered from that toe injury and the QB's are inconsistent on the few occasions when they do have time spells disaster.

Perfect example today was Yale actually drove down to the Penn 30 with about two minutes left. The one time you could absolutely not afford a sack, since they had the wind at their back and a kicker who has a strong leg....they get sacked.

And as long as I'm bitching, calling a time out with a 4th and 19 and going for it when you should be punting and playing for field position(they could have pinned Penn back, had two timeouts to burn and maybe even have gotten great field position with the wind against Penn) is stupid.

Also, the fake punt was a dumb call. That was Yale's one chance in the 2nd half to put Penn in bad field position.

bulldog10jw
October 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/10/26/sports/26-yale_fb_gamer.txt

Siedlecki made no secret of who he blamed for an inept offensive performance, which netted a total of 92 yards.

“As I told the players, this one is on me,” Siedlecki said. “I had no answers offensively, and we have to get it sorted out. We did not give our players a chance. We were absolutely ineffective with what we are doing. Our defense kept playing and playing, and we didn’t give our offense any opportunities to make plays. They shut us down. They sacked our quarterback when we tried to get the ball down the field and tried to run the screen game. We have to get it going here offensively.”

Yale gained 52 yards on its first eight plays, but the Bulldogs’ final 44 plays managed to gain only 40 yards.