PDA

View Full Version : INSTANT CLASSIC...FAMU 52 Southern 49 FINAL

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=CD&Dato=20081019&Kategori=FAMU03&Lopenr=810190329&Ref=AR&MaxW=280
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Originally published October 19, 2008
Rattlers win shootout: Florida A&M 52, Southern 49
Vann's late return helps FAMU to win over Southern
By St. Clair Murraine
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

BATON ROUGE, La. — This time there was no late field goal — just trickery and LeRoy Vann's magic.

Vann retuned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown to ignite two quick strikes by FAMU in the fourth quarter and the Rattlers held off every comeback by Southern for a 52-49 victory Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

FAMU dodged the biggest bullet after the Jaguars marched 30 yards to FAMU's 1 following an interception of quarterback Curtis Pulley's pass that was intended for Philip Sylvester. But on his way to the end zone, Southern receiver (and former Godby High standout) Del Roberts lost the ball after a hit by FAMU's Fabian Wilson.

http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/article/20081019/FAMU03/810190329

JohnStOnge
October 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Watching the replay of the Florida A&M at Southern game. Score was 52-49 Florida A&M with about 4 1/2 minutes left. Southern gets an interception and sets up at about the 30 or so. They get a good run down to about the 12 and it gets called back for holding. Then they throw a pass a guy catches in side the 10. He's going into the end zone, gets hit, and fumbles the ball. His body continues into the end zone, Florida A&M falls on the ball at about the two.

What a heck of a way to lose a chance to take the lead late in a game like that. That receiver's got to feel awful today.

JohnStOnge
October 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
And now, with about 1:50 left, Florida A&M goes for it on 4th and one from its own 12 yard line in order to keep the ball and run out the clock and makes it! Good GRIEF.

DSUrocks07
October 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
That was one hell of a game...

I told you all that it would be the game of the week xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
October 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
If I was a Southern fan I'd be really hacked. They should've won that game. They really should've. The very definition of "Coulda' shoulda."

Course, if I was a Florida A&M fan and Southern's wideout hadn't fumbled the ball right before he crossed the goal line I'd be hacked about the interception that set Southern up because it was a poorly thrown ball.

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Leroy Vann is the MOST DANGEROUS Kick Returner in FCS...He has returned 5 or 6 kickoffs and punts for TD's this season for the Rattlers.

I must say that SWAC officials are TERRIBLE

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
This game proved why the FAMU/SU rivalry should never stop being played. It was a GREAT game and a GREAT atmosphere.

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=CD&Dato=20081019&Kategori=FAMU03&Lopenr=810190801&Ref=PH&Item=18&MaxW=550&MaxH=600&DsRadius=5&Q=90&BgColor=B4DAAD

slostang
October 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a great game.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
This game proved why the FAMU/SU rivalry should never stop being played. It was a GREAT game and a GREAT atmosphere.
It was a so so atmosphere compared to the week before. There were 100,000 plus people on campus the week before. Actually this weeks tailgate was dead(probably would have been great for any other school) compared to SU standards. SU's administration are pissing alot of people off with these new tailgating rules.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Leroy Vann is the MOST DANGEROUS Kick Returner in FCS...He has returned 5 or 6 kickoffs and punts for TD's this season for the Rattlers.

I must say that SWAC officials are TERRIBLE

He is, thats why I don't understand why they kicked him the ball. If he doesn't return those kicks SU wins.

BTW Bryant Lee should be a finalist for the WALTER PAYTON AWARD. 407 passing 3 TD's 64 yards rushing 3 TD's against Famu.

813Jag
October 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I just got back to Tampa and I'm still hoarse, what a game. I didn't like to see people leave with 12 minutes to go in the game. xnonono2x I hate to see the Jags get done in by a Tampa kid (Vann). Too bad Del Roberts (Tallahassee) couldn't get it done against his hometown team. xnonono2x

Pulley and Lee both put on a show at QB for both teams. That game had it all, flea flickers, fake punts, blocked kicks, returns for TDs, you name it. Taylor had some big grapefruits to go for it in their own end of the field. Have to give props for that call.

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM
It was a so so atmosphere compared to the week before. There were 100,000 plus people on campus the week before. Actually this weeks tailgate was dead(probably would have been great for any other school) compared to SU standards. SU's administration are pissing alot of people off with these new tailgating rules.

I didn't get to tailgate...I'm the mascot...xlolx ...I know ya'll fans hate me

I'm talking about the game atmosphere, not so much what was going on outside the stadium. Although when we pulled up, it looked like a lot of people were tailgating.

Big Dawg
October 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I just got back to Tampa and I'm still hoarse, what a game. I didn't like to see people leave with 12 minutes to go in the game. xnonono2x I hate to see the Jags get done in by a Tampa kid (Vann). Too bad Del Roberts (Tallahassee) couldn't get it done against his hometown team. xnonono2x

Pulley and Lee both put on a show at QB for both teams. That game had it all, flea flickers, fake punts, blocked kicks, returns for TDs, you name it. Taylor had some big grapefruits to go for it in their own end of the field. Have to give props for that call.

Yeah man...it was a old fashioned shootout...just like 1998(50-48) and 2000(50-49).

BTW, we played against Del Roberts in high school. I don't know how we let him get out of Tallahassee.

813Jag
October 20th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I didn't get to tailgate...I'm the mascot...xlolx ...I know ya'll fans hate me

I'm talking about the game atmosphere, not so much what was going on outside the stadium. Although when we pulled up, it looked like a lot of people were tailgating.
So that was you my wife was laughing at. xlolx Real good atmosphere, but the 100 would have made it better.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Although when we pulled up, it looked like a lot of people were tailgating.
Compared to other schools it was, but when you had 100,000 the week before, and know how games were in the past, it was dead.

SU Jag
October 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
I still have mixed emotions from this game. Our defense played horrible but our offense clicked like thay havent all year. We got to get it together on BOTH sides of the ball.

813Jag
October 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I still have mixed emotions from this game. Our defense played horrible but our offense clicked like thay havent all year. We got to get it together on BOTH sides of the ball.
I agree, the D had a couple of stretches where they looked good. Especially when they started the second half.