PDA

View Full Version : Wofford vs Elon

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
It's the best run game vs the best pass game.

Wofford is showing great improvement on defense and hasn't been stopped much on offense. You won't see nearly as many mistakes as you saw last year.

I don't know much about Elon except they haven't played a run game like Wofford's

I go with Wofford because I believe the best run game beats the beat the best pass game any day.

ElonPride
October 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It's the best run game vs the best pass game.

Wofford is showing great improvement on defense and hasn't been stopped much on offense. You won't see nearly as many mistakes as you saw last year.

I don't know much about Elon except they haven't played a run game like Wofford's

I go with Wofford because I believe the best run game beats the beat the best pass game any day.

This is going to be one heck of a game!!! Wofford will want revenge from losing to Elon last year, and Elon will want to show everyone they belong nationally.

The thing Wofford will need to watch out for is Elon's run game. Over the course of the last 6 games, they're averaging over 200 yards on the ground and 420+ yards of total offense. Elon has become a very well balanced team, and the defense has GREATLY improved over last year.

ASUTodd
October 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Best run game? Is App playing in this game to?

millwoga1
October 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Rushing yards per game Wofford 362 App 270
Those might not be updated from this week but I doubt they changed that much

LehighFan11
October 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Lets keep App out of one thread. Let Wofford/Elon enjoy their spotlight.

appstate38
October 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I picked Elon on another thread but I may have to revise my pick, simply because I have to wonder if Elon will get enough touches on offense. If the Wofford run game is clicking then they will eat up a lot of clock. Best way to slow down Riddle and Co. is to keep them off the field. Elon's defense has to show up big.

whoanellie
October 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
After back-to-back road trips the past two weeks, Elon returns home to host No. 4 Wofford at 3 p.m. next Saturday at Rhodes Stadium for SportSouth’s SoCon Saturday game. Chattanooga will have a week off before traveling to Cullowhee, N.C., for a Nov. 1 meeting with Western Carolina.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
This is going to be one heck of a game!!! Wofford will want revenge from losing to Elon last year, and Elon will want to show everyone they belong nationally.

The thing Wofford will need to watch out for is Elon's run game. Over the course of the last 6 games, they're averaging over 200 yards on the ground and 420+ yards of total offense. Elon has become a very well balanced team, and the defense has GREATLY improved over last year.

The only way teams have been able to run on Wofford is with two tight ends running straight up the middle using strength and size to an advantage. We have a great run defense. We also lead the conference in sacks (with less games) and were up there in TOs. We also lead in TO margin

Little do Socon fans know Wofford has a very good pass game. We've had at least 500 total yards of offense in 4 of the last 6 games.

RazorEdge19
October 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The only way teams have been able to run on Wofford is with two tight ends running straight up the middle using strength and size to an advantage. We have a great run defense. We also lead the conference in sacks (with less games) and were up there in TOs. We also lead in TO margin

Little do Socon fans know Wofford has a very good pass game. We've had at least 500 total yards of offense in 4 of the last 6 games.

One thing people many not remember...Wofford has those great rushing numbers on offense even after facing the #1 defense in all of college football...a defense that Wofford didn't turn it over to.

GATA
October 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Since my Eagles have been defeated by both of these teams I consider myself an expert analyst on this one xsmiley_wix

I'm going to give Wofford a slight edge. They're so hard to beat because they run that damn wingbone offense beautifully (reminds me of old GSU) and they hardly even turn the ball over or make terrible mistakes.

Hell, they did make some terrible mistakes against GSU and they STILL pulled the win out in OT.

Elon can score in bunches when they get hot, but I don't think they'll be as consistent on offense as Wofford will be.

I'm predicting 28-24 Wofford.

elon77
October 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I picked Elon on another thread but I may have to revise my pick, simply because I have to wonder if Elon will get enough touches on offense. If the Wofford run game is clicking then they will eat up a lot of clock. Best way to slow down Riddle and Co. is to keep them off the field. Elon's defense has to show up big.

I believe Elon has the number 1 ranked defense in the Socon so they aint too shabby. Also they seem to play the bone offense pretty good, the same players shut it down pretty good last year. I know it's another year, but they do know how to defend it. Elon's O line is big , experienced, and seems to have found their grove. It seems to me they are a run first pass second offense this year, and the line is the reason for this. It could be fun.xnodx

millwoga1
October 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Wofford putting their 8 game Socon road win streak on the line this week. Will be tough to keep this one going. To tough for me to pick, but if Elon limits the points Wofford gets off any turnovers - they win a close one. If Wofford can get points off turnovers Woffy wins.

Last road Socon loss for Wofford was 2006 at Appy

terrierbob
October 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
We need two turnovers, a couple of quick strikes, and several long drives. Very nervous.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Last road Socon loss for Wofford was 2006 at Appy

by 7 against the best App championship team (IMO)

RazorEdge19
October 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
We need two turnovers, a couple of quick strikes, and several long drives. Very nervous.

Why nervous? Elon's good. Wofford's good. I see this lack of confidence in too many Wofford fans...

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why nervous? Elon's good. Wofford's good. I see this lack of confidence in too many Wofford fans...

Wofford's going to be pumped. Last year we showed no emotion in this game.
I think Wofford wins this pulling away in the second half.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I am really interested to see what happens in this game. I enjoyed seeing the Spiders play at Wofford in December at Elon in August ... really liked the fans and the Stadiums.

I don't really know enough to give a real educated opinion, but I'll say Elon wins because they have the more experienced Quarterback ... and because it has to be ridulously hard for Wofford to game plan for consecutive games against Elon and App State in 6 days. The schedule maker must hate the Terriers.

That said, if there's a guy capable of doing it, it may be Ayers.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I believe Elon has the number 1 ranked defense in the Socon so they aint too shabby. Also they seem to play the bone offense pretty good, the same players shut it down pretty good last year. I know it's another year, but they do know how to defend it. Elon's O line is big , experienced, and seems to have found their grove. It seems to me they are a run first pass second offense this year, and the line is the reason for this. It could be fun.xnodx

We don't run as much "bone" as people think we use this formation known as a "shotgun" where we sometimes "pass" the ball.
The exact definition of the words in quotes are not known to me as a Wofford fan.

Anywho, don't expect to hold us to 13 points this year. Our offense rarely makes mistakes. we've turned the ball over 5 times the whole year( 3 in the first game-two of which were handoff issues [not longer a problem] and the other the return man blew out his knee and fumbled).
We've also only allowed 1 sack and that was against USC.

dungeonjoe
October 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Statistically speaking it is the number 1 SoCon offense vs the #1 SoCon defense.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/2008/10/20/Elon%20game%20notes.pdf?path=football

phoenix3
October 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Statistically speaking it is the number 1 SoCon offense vs the #1 SoCon defense.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/2008/10/20/Elon%20game%20notes.pdf?path=football

...and the #1 passing offense against the #8 pass defense.

RazorEdge19
October 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
...and the #1 passing offense against the #8 pass defense.

You're gonna face a lot of passes when your up 90% of the time...
The longest pass play allowed all season happened on the first drive of the first game as well...

phoenix3
October 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
You're gonna face a lot of passes when your up 90% of the time...
The longest pass play allowed all season happened on the first drive of the first game as well...

Yes, but Riddle wasn't throwing them and Hudgins, Williamson, Camp, Jeffcoat, Harris and Shuman weren't catching them. Nor were Werden, Rubertone, Allen, Harrison and O'Shea blocking.

RazorEdge19
October 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, but Riddle wasn't throwing them and Hudgins, Williamson, Camp, Jeffcoat, Harris and Shuman weren't catching them. Nor were Werden, Rubertone, Allen, Harrison and O'Shea blocking.

No one is saying they were.

However, I would venture a guess and say South Carolina's offense probably has better athletes then Elon's does. South Carolina was able to run up only 23 points on Wofford, seven of which were on the game's final drive. Elon doesn't have South Carolina's defense, which was the only one who has held Wofford under 400 yards of offense.

I'm not saying Elon won't score more or less, but I don't think Wofford's pass defense is as bad as many people seem to feel it is.

elon77
October 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM
No one is saying they were.

However, I would venture a guess and say South Carolina's offense probably has better athletes then Elon's does. South Carolina was able to run up only 23 points on Wofford, seven of which were on the game's final drive. Elon doesn't have South Carolina's defense, which was the only one who has held Wofford under 400 yards of offense.

I'm not saying Elon won't score more or less, but I don't think Wofford's pass defense is as bad as many people seem to feel it is.

Do you really think South Carolina was pumped up for that game? They play uninspired football. It is hard to compare that game and this game. I will take a guess that Elon WILL be pumped for this game.

terrierbob
October 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
Do you really think South Carolina was pumped up for that game? They play uninspired football. It is hard to compare that game and this game. I will take a guess that Elon WILL be pumped for this game.

Actually, 77, Spurrier made certain they didn't take us lightly, as we almost beat them in 2006.

Oh- and Mr. Ayers will ensure the FIGHTING Terriers will be up.

OLDMAIN80
October 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I believe that Wofford is better than the fans think they are. My only concern is that we have come out flat in the first quarter of the last two games, can't do that against an offense like Elon. Time of possession could be a key but in our last two wins we lost the TOP stat, big plays for scores don't take much time off the clock. We both have something to prove on Saturday and I think it will be close at halftime....then Wofford takes off, no one makes halftime adjustments better than Coach Ayers.

Wofford by 21.

RazorEdge19
October 21st, 2008, 08:41 AM

Yes, actually, I do. Not to mention Spurrier had the option of suspending several key starters on offense and defense for the Wofford game, and instead chose to suspend them for the UAB game...

ElonPride
October 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
I think it will be close at halftime....then Wofford takes off, no one makes halftime adjustments better than Coach Ayers.

Wofford by 21.

xeekx

Does that include the 2nd half implosion versus GSU?

89Eagle
October 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
This could be a heck of a game. Is it going to be on TV?

T-Dogg
October 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
xeekx

Does that include the 2nd half implosion versus GSU?

We tend to have one per year, last year was WCU. I think the Terriers are good and ready for this game, can't wait!

phoenix3
October 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
SportSouth

PhoenixPhan06
October 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
I believe that Wofford is better than the fans think they are. My only concern is that we have come out flat in the first quarter of the last two games, can't do that against an offense like Elon. Time of possession could be a key but in our last two wins we lost the TOP stat, big plays for scores don't take much time off the clock. We both have something to prove on Saturday and I think it will be close at halftime....then Wofford takes off, no one makes halftime adjustments better than Coach Ayers.

Wofford by 21.

You can make all the adjustments in the world, but this game will not be decided by as many as 21 points xnonox. I agree that the first half will be close as both teams adjust to eachother but Elon's improved defense and stellar passing game will be too much for Wofford's secondary to handle. I see Elon winning this one with the help of the home crowd 34-24 xthumbsupx .

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
I, as an unbiased fan, would unfortunately go with Elon. Last year, Riddle picked apart our shaky pass defense, and noe Elon has added a running game. They are so balanced that their offense will be hard to stop. Their defense has improved as well. The T-Dogs will score but come up short on the road, 31-28.

But it will still be fun to head up there with a buddy and see a GREAT game with possible playoff implications, then have a fine dinner and enjoy some, uh, adult enetertainment in Charlotte. I need a road trip to get away and have a day of frollicking, and I am SO looking forward to this trip. Football is fun, and this will be fun no matter what the outcome. Besides, my Terriers have a way of going beyond my expectations, and I hope it can happen again. Go T-Dogs!

RazorEdge19
October 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
You can make all the adjustments in the world, but this game will not be decided by as many as 21 points xnonox. I agree that the first half will be close as both teams adjust to eachother but Elon's improved defense and stellar passing game will be too much for Wofford's secondary to handle. I see Elon winning this one with the help of the home crowd 34-24 xthumbsupx .

I guess Wofford's pass rush, which is tops in the conference, won't be too difficult for the Phoenix to overcome either, eh?

Woof
October 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM

I wouldn't expect any of that to be a surprise to Coach Ayers....here's a quote from his press conference yesterday:

By Todd Shanesy
[email protected]
Published: Monday, October 20, 2008 at 6:01 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, October 20, 2008 at 6:09 p.m.

"It's a very good football team," Ayers said. "Probably, top to bottom, the best (Football Championship Subdivision) team we've played."

"They've got a great player at the quarterback position in Riddle. He's a difference-maker," Ayers said. "Then they have the great receiver to complement him. They're also running the football better (fourth-best in the league). That makes it even tougher to try to defend them." xthumbsupx

Our boys remember how last year's lackluster performance against Elon cost them sole possession of the conference championshipxflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx ...they should be ready to mix it up in Burlington. xhypedxGO TERRIERS ! xthumbsupx

SoCon48
October 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
I guess Wofford's pass rush, which is tops in the conference, won't be too difficult for the Phoenix to overcome either, eh?

Holding no calls couldl easily negate that.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Holding no calls couldl easily negate that.

Over 13 months and you're still whining over that. xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Speaking as someone who has seen both teams play this year, I'm going to have to go with Elon. And no, you don't have to remind me of what the score was at half-time in GSU-Wofford. That was mainly because of two very early turnovers by GSU. Elon has gotten better since we played them and has proven themselves by beating Furman and The Citadel. Wofford is just now getting into the meat of their SoCon schedule.

blueballs
October 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
I too have seen both squads play against GSU and look for a VERY close game (aren't all SoCon games involving the top 5 teams?) that will go down to the last minute.

Wofford has a system advantage and probably a coaching advantage as well as home field. I feel like Elon has more talent- especially defensively- and is more balanced. Elon also has the "x" factor that Wofford doesn't- Hudgins.

Elon 34-31 but I wouldn't be surprised to see this score in reverse.

Having seen GSU, App, Elon and Wofford all play, I can tell all you there isn't a hair on a baby's ass difference in those teams... any one could beat any of the rest any time. The only reason I'm not including Furman in that group is that I haven't seen them in person but they probably qualify as well.

Business as what is becoming usual in the SoCon...

...best of luck to both teams, it should be a good 'un!

phoenixphanatic21
October 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Honestly, Wofford still does scare me, but I have a lot of confidence in us. We have done a great game on defense all year long (minus the Samford game, but that's because I think we may have overlooked them) and our offense is even scarier than before now that we have a good running game (how scary is that? Elon's offense even better than before). It's gonna be one hell of a game and I for one cannot wait. This game is huge for Elon and Lembo and the boys now that and know that Wofford will be gunning for them after last year. I say Elon wins by 6.

Also, I do agree. The schedule makers must have something against Wofford for making them play at Elon and then at App in back to back weeks. xeekx

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I too have seen both squads play against GSU and look for a VERY close game (aren't all SoCon games involving the top 5 teams?) that will go down to the last minute.

Wofford has a system advantage and probably a coaching advantage as well as home field. I feel like Elon has more talent- especially defensively- and is more balanced. Elon also has the "x" factor that Wofford doesn't- Hudgins.

Elon 34-31 but I wouldn't be surprised to see this score in reverse.

Having seen GSU, App, Elon and Wofford all play, I can tell all you there isn't a hair on a baby's ass difference in those teams... any one could beat any of the rest any time. The only reason I'm not including Furman in that group is that I haven't seen them in person but they probably qualify as well.

Business as what is becoming usual in the SoCon...

...best of luck to both teams, it should be a good 'un!

Just so you know it's at Elon

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM

A 10 point loss to USC is way better than a loss to Richmond (Not critizing RU) by 18 any day.

Last year Elon thrived on Wofford offensive mistakes. I don't see a lot of mistakes on O happening this week (starting O has 3 TOs, 1 sack the whole season and it was against USC). Even though our pass D is 8th, we lost 2 of our 4 safeties in the first game and they came back against Chatty. A lot of our bad D numbers are due to fatigued safeties and freshman corners. When we finally got healthy we performed greatly in the last two weeks. Sure they were not the best teams in the SoCon but we did better in the fundamentals. Elon won't run the ball for 5 yards a carry like Western did, that was due to a brilliant strategy designed by Dennis Wagner. Elon won't move 2 tight ends every play to run.
The pass D will perform better than you expect.

phoenix3
October 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
A 10 point loss to USC is way better than a loss to Richmond (Not critizing RU) by 18 any day.

Last year Elon thrived on Wofford offensive mistakes. I don't see a lot of mistakes on O happening this week (starting O has 3 TOs, 1 sack the whole season and it was against USC). Even though our pass D is 8th, we lost 2 of our 4 safeties in the first game and they came back against Chatty. A lot of our bad D numbers are due to fatigued safeties and freshman corners. When we finally got healthy we performed greatly in the last two weeks. Sure they were not the best teams in the SoCon but we did better in the fundamentals. Elon won't run the ball for 5 yards a carry like Western did, that was due to a brilliant strategy designed by Dennis Wagner. Elon won't move 2 tight ends every play to run.
The pass D will perform better than you expect.

I could easily pick this post apart in twice as many ways as there are sentences. I just don't have the time or the energy. So, I seriously hope Ayers is expecting the same Elon defense that played UR. I hope he expects that WCU has a better run game than Elon. Lastly, I hope he is overestimating WC's ability to contain Elon's passing attack. Although I seriously doubt a coach with his talent has done so, as you have. Therefore, I still expect a very competitive game this Saturday.

RazorEdge19
October 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I could easily pick this post apart in twice as many ways as there are sentences. I just don't have the time or the energy. So, I seriously hope Ayers is expecting the same Elon defense that played UR. I hope he expects that WCU has a better run game than Elon. Lastly, I hope he is overestimating WC's ability to contain Elon's passing attack. Although I seriously doubt a coach with his talent has done so, as you have. Therefore, I still expect a very competitive game this Saturday.

How's that? Have you seen Wofford play? I can't speak for Elon's injury situation or ability to play fundamentally, so how can you?

phoenix3
October 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
How's that? Have you seen Wofford play? I can't speak for Elon's injury situation or ability to play fundamentally, so how can you?

Please clarify. Have I seen Wofford play? Yes, I have seen Wofford play. I can speak for Elon's injury situation and ability to play fundamentally. Just because you can't, what does that have to do with my ability to do so? I don't quite grasp the correlation of your questions and the post you quoted.

blueballs
October 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Just so you know it's at Elon

You know... I remembered that right after I hit 'enter' but I don't think it really matters anymore in the SoCon. These games all come down to one or two plays and the venue doesn't matter much.

OLDMAIN80
October 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM

You are correct, Ayers is not overestimating anything about Elon. He will have the entire team ready for this one and as I said in an earlier post...
Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

T-Dogg
October 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
You are correct, Ayers is not overestimating anything about Elon. He will have the entire team ready for this one and as I said in an earlier post...
Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

I Like That!

phoenix3
October 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

xnutsx

PhoenixPhan06
October 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Wofford by 21xthumbsupx

If you take a ride on the way back machine, we only lost to Richmond by 18 on the first game of the season. With that said, I think everyone can agree that we are a better team than the one that played UR on 8/30 so I just don't see a loss here in this one much less a loss by 21 points xnonono2x

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
I personally like Wofford in this game. I guess it's the old school grind-it-out gamer in me, but I'll take #1 rushing over #1 passing.

Good luck to both teams! Huge game in the SoCon!

Eight Legger
October 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
If you take a ride on the way back machine, we only lost to Richmond by 18 on the first game of the season. With that said, I think everyone can agree that we are a better team than the one that played RU on 8/30 so I just don't see a loss here in this one much less a loss by 21 points xnonono2x

It's UR, not RU. A lot of people seem to be confused about this.

As for the game, it should be a great one. If these two teams were not in the same conference, I think Wofford would be the smart pick because of how difficult it is to prepare for their system.

But since they know each other well, I think that negates some of the advantage. Having been to both stadiums in the past year, I don't think either team has a particularly great home field advantage (i.e., super rowdy and loud fans, etc.), so I don't see that being a big advantage for Elon or disadvantage for Wofford.

I haven't seen Wofford this year, but based on what I have heard, I will say Wofford 30, Elon 28.

Woof
October 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Just checked the weather for the game in "Hurlington."
High of 65 Low of 43 and 70% chance of rain.
.....conditions might favor the team with the better run game !xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
October 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

As for the game, it should be a great one. If these two teams were not in the same conference, I think Wofford would be the smart pick because of how difficult it is to prepare for their system.

But since they know each other well, I think that negates some of the advantage. Having been to both stadiums in the past year, I don't think either team has a particularly great home field advantage (i.e., super rowdy and loud fans, etc.), so I don't see that being a big advantage for Elon or disadvantage for Wofford.

I haven't seen Wofford this year, but based on what I have heard, I will say Wofford 30, Elon 28.

My apologies, I've corrected my post

phoenix3
October 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Just checked the weather for the game in "Hurlington."
High of 65 Low of 43 and 70% chance of rain.
.....conditions might favor the team with the better run game !xthumbsupx

Elon University isn't in Hurlington. It's in Eloan.

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

Oh come on....don't want to share the same acronym as Radford?xsmiley_wix

BestOfBreed
October 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
The winner of the turnover battle won the last 2 in this series. I don't see that changing this year.

Eight Legger
October 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Oh come on....don't want to share the same acronym as Radford?xsmiley_wix

Precisely! (Or Rutgers for that matter.) xthumbsupx

SoCon48
October 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Over 13 months and you're still whining over that. xrolleyesx

Not whining. After all we did beat the Phoenix azzes with our 2nd string QB. xcoffeex xcoffeex

Just stating a fact. The prima donna gets protection one way or the other. Let's hope this year's Phoenix OL can block legitimately.