PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Game? Wofford-Elon or JMU-Villanova?

theasushow
October 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Both games have HUGE, HUGE conference and playoff implications. On paper Elon-Wofford looks like it is fairly evenly matched. But Villanova is on fire and JMU is coming off a very emotional win. At this point in the season some JMU fans may say this game is an even bigger one than the ASU game was.
Thoughts?

StrikeJMU
October 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm tired of big games, my emotions can't handle it anymore. Can't we all just be friends and not keep score?

thmst30
October 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I can't choose. They are both MASSIVE games, then throw in a home game against Furman, and next Saturday is already tops on my list.

Poly Pigskin
October 19th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I'm going with Wofford/Elon just because I have them ranked more closely. Definitely looking forward to both though, they should be great games.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm tired of big games, my emotions can't handle it anymore. Can't we all just be friends and not keep score?

And the home team should provide orange slices at half time

Dukie95
October 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I know it sounds cliche, but each week is the biggest game of the year, it seems.

UMass
ASU
UR
Nova

The feeling is this Nova game is what's going to make the difference between receiving a seed and playing at home or going on the road, it's that important to us. We all remember that Nova beat us in '06 and we feel that's what moved us from the #4 seed position to going on the road to play YSU.

Now, we're not looking past our remaining schedule by any means (UD, W&M, @Towson), but we feel we've got the home matchups we need to get the job done once we get past this Villanova speed bump (or barricade).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
who does Elon, Wofford, Villanova have left?

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Villanova:
vs. JMU
@ Northeastern
vs. UNH
vs. Towson
@ Delaware

Elon:
vs. Wofford
vs. WCU
@ App State
@ Liberty

Wofford:
@ Elon
@ App State
vs. The Citadel
@ Samford
vs. Furman

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Wofford still has a tough road ahead. The had a good showing against South Carolina and a good, close win over GSU in Statesboro. Other than that, they've played the weaker part of their schedule. Will be interesteing to see how they do the rest of the way.

If I wasn't going to App St vs Furman this Saturday I would love to ride down to Elon to see them play Wofford. Only 20 min from my house.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
After seeing the games remaining (Thanks th0m)

I'd say Wofford-Elon....looks like Wofford needs this game.

tribe_pride
October 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I have trouble seeing Nova losing more than 1 more of the games remaining after the JMU so at worst they would be 8-3 with a loss hereand have trouble seeing JMU losing more than 1 more game (Tribe game hopefully) after the Nova game so at worst they would be 8-3 with a loss here so it is not a huge game for playoff implications

Wofford has Elon, App St, and Furman remaining so it could end at 7-4 and Elon already has 7 wins and only 1 other potential loss coming up so they could be as bad as 9-3.

Because of Wofford, this is the biggest game.

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Good analysis. I agree.

proasu89
October 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
And the home team should provide orange slices at half time

The wife and I will bring butter cookies and juice boxes.

McNeeserocket
October 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Both games have HUGE, HUGE conference and playoff implications. On paper Elon-Wofford looks like it is fairly evenly matched. But Villanova is on fire and JMU is coming off a very emotional win. At this point in the season some JMU fans may say this game is an even bigger one than the ASU game was. Thoughts?

I think the James Madison - Villanova game has got to be the game of the week. I wish I could see this game! I won't even hazard a guess who wins as it is too close to call.

StrikeJMU
October 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
it will be on cn8.

smallcollegefbfan
October 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Both games have HUGE, HUGE conference and playoff implications. On paper Elon-Wofford looks like it is fairly evenly matched. But Villanova is on fire and JMU is coming off a very emotional win. At this point in the season some JMU fans may say this game is an even bigger one than the ASU game was.
Thoughts?

JMU- Villanova for sure. I think that game is for the #1 rank in the nation. Wofford and Elon are playing for what I think is about the #4 team behind JMU, Villanova, and App. Both games are huge but there will not be another CAA matchup like that this year while ASU still has to play both Wofford and Elon so we could see another potential huge matchup in the SoCon. I take the CAA matchup because it is likely we won't see another one like that in that conference for the rest of the regular season.

dbackjon
October 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Both big games, but NAU-Weber is just as big, if not bigger.

blur2005
October 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Both big games, but NAU-Weber is just as big, if not bigger.
Look, I try to be unbiased in my opinions and not let an East Coast-bias seep in. The NAU-Weber State game is important for those particular teams, yes, but there is no fricken way that game is "bigger" than JMU-Villanova or Wofford-Elon on a national scale. Give me a break.

dbackjon
October 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Look, I try to be unbiased in my opinions and not let an East Coast-bias seep in. The NAU-Weber State game is important for those particular teams, yes, but there is no fricken way that game is "bigger" than JMU-Villanova or Wofford-Elon on a national scale. Give me a break.

How is it not as big?

Two teams ranked in the top 12 in most unbiased polls. The game will go a long ways towards determing the BSC champ, and whether the BSC gets two or three bids.

Yes, as big, it not bigger than the two regional matchups mentioned. Explain to me, without ECB bullcrap, why those in-conference matchups are more important than WSU-NAU?

Saint3333
October 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Villanova:
vs. JMU
@ Northeastern
vs. UNH
vs. Towson
@ Delaware

Elon:
vs. Wofford
vs. WCU
@ App State
@ Liberty

Wofford:
@ Elon
@ App State
vs. The Citadel
@ Samford
vs. Furman

This is JMU's last real test as they have Delaware, W&M, and @ Towson remaining. The jury is still out on W&M (although in my top 25 this week).

Giving the schedules remaining the WC/Elon game is bigger. Funny I thought the SoCon schedules were easy...xwhistlex

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know about the jury still being out on W&M. They are simply a solid team that many (myself included) disregarded at the beginning of the season but seem to be in really good shape. They've played two tough FCS games vs. Villanova and UNH and beat one, and hung tough with the other. The next three games (URI, Towson, Northeastern) are very winnable followed by their tough 2-game stretch to finish out the season at JMU and vs. Richmond. I would not be surprised if W&M edges out a bid from UMass or Richmond.

As far as tests go, JMU's arguably had the most tests and come out on top of them. I think you can look at this 'big game' moniker from two points (or maybe more, I just looked at these two). 1) How 'big' are the teams that play in the matchups, who have they played etc etc. Or 2) what are the implications of the game, who is in trouble if they lose the game etc.

When looking at the first category, I think the CAA matchup wins. When looking at the second category, I think the Socon matchup wins because the CAA teams can both lose this game and not really be in a lot of trouble considering the rest of the schedule while Woffy/Elon still have a lot of meat left.

blur2005
October 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
How is it not as big?

Two teams ranked in the top 12 in most unbiased polls. The game will go a long ways towards determing the BSC champ, and whether the BSC gets two or three bids.

Yes, as big, it not bigger than the two regional matchups mentioned. Explain to me, without ECB bullcrap, why those in-conference matchups are more important than WSU-NAU?
Because JMU is #1 is the country and because Wofford-Elon matches two teams that are more highly ranked across the board than Weber State or Northern Arizona. Look, I'm not saying that the polls should solely determine anything (we have playoffs in this division for a reason) but since we give a lot of credence to them and have our very own poll that shows what I was just talking about, either game is bigger than Weber State-NAU on a national scale.

dbackjon
October 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
There is no doubt that JMU-Villanova is a huge game, probably the biggest. NAU-Weber is as big when it comes to playoffs, and national ranking. Don't be fooled by the East-coast Bias poll that is the AGS. NAU and Weber are both top-twelve teams, on par, if not better than Elon and Wofford, if fact, NAU and Weber are probably better.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
1) How 'big' are the teams that play in the matchups, who have they played etc etc. Or 2) what are the implications of the game, who is in trouble if they lose the game etc.

#3 vs. #4 or #1 vs. #7, appears even so let's go to your #2. WC/Elon winsxsmiley_wix.

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
How is it not as big?

What are these unbiased polls you are talking about? Isn't that an oxymoron anyway? Or is unbiased the poll in which WSU and NAU are ranked the highest?

DTSpider
October 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Villanova gets two #1 ranked teams at home this year, has any team ever beaten a #1 at home twice in the same year?

blur2005
October 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
What are these unbiased polls you are talking about? Isn't that an oxymoron anyway? Or is unbiased the poll in which WSU and NAU are ranked the highest?
Yeah, honestly, I expected Weber State to look more dominating against a weak, albeit improved, Northern Colorado squad but then they turned the ball over a bunch and only won by seven despite having absurd yardage totals for a game in which they scored only seventeen points.

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
#3 vs. #4 or #1 vs. #7, appears even so let's go to your #2. WC/Elon winsxsmiley_wix.

Hold up there buddy ;) Don't you think I added that line "who they played" for no reason whatsoever xlolx Sure Elon and Wofford are ranked ahead of Villanova, but Wofford has only beaten one team that's worth a damn and that's GSU. Villanova took down the #1 team. The sole reason Wofford is ranked ahead of Villanova is because Wofford was ranked higher preseason. Now I don't wanna turn this into a hate the rankings thread (although it probably will), but that's how I consider Villanova to be at least a 'bigger' team than Wofford.

dbackjon
October 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Most of the computer polls, which are less-biased (but still have a bias, not just an eastcoast bias).

dbackjon
October 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, honestly, I expected Weber State to look more dominating against a weak, albeit improved, Northern Colorado squad but then they turned the ball over a bunch and only won by seven despite having absurd yardage totals for a game in which they scored only seventeen points.

Northern Colorado is a good team that hasn't learned how to win yet. Big Sky overall is vastly improved over years past.

Hoyadestroya85
October 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
If you look at Sagarin Rankings, Villanova and JMU matches the number 1 and 3 teams.. I think that they are far more credible than polls where a teams starting ranking makes a big impact on their upward mobility in the poll, so with that in mind and with a little bit of homerism attached.. absolutely Villanova and JMU

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
JMU@Villanova is likely for a seed. I've had Villanova in my top 10 all year, and currently have them at #3. People who haven't seen Villanova don't seem to appreciate how good this team is. These two may well be the best two teams in the country this year.

The polls this year seem to have some favorites who are foregivin some obvious bad marks. Elon is clearly one, as they are ranked above Richmond, who beat them soundly in their own house. From my view, Elon and Wofford are both overrated in the polls. Their game may have playoff implications, but does not approach the stature of JMU and Villanova.

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have to go with JMU/Nova.. I just hope Nova is able to put more than their normal modest amount of fans in the seats. They may get at least one additional fan.. as I think that I'll probably drive up to see this one.

smcwildcat
October 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
JUM nova this will show us what both teams are made of

19Duke97
October 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
JUM nova this will show us what both teams are made of

You mean JMU did not do that against UMASS, App St and Richmond yet? If JMU runs the table this year into the playoffs, it will be one of the most impressive regular seasons of any 1-AA team ever. Their schedule is just brutal.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
You mean JMU did not do that against UMASS, App St and Richmond yet? If JMU runs the table this year into the playoffs, it will be one of the most impressive regular seasons of any 1-AA team ever. Their schedule is just brutal.

Stop throwing UMass in there - they've got 3 losses and in all likliehood they aren't a playoff team this year. Heck, I think W&M is better than UMass.

As for this weekend, I see nova/JMU as the better game. Elon was handled pretty well by Richmond earlier in the year, at Elon to boot, while both nova and JMU have beaten Richmond. Come playoff time, I don't really see Elon or Wofford as serious national title contenders, whereas you can make a case that both JMU and nova could be seeded teams regardless of who wins this game.

blur2005
October 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Stop throwing UMass in there - they've got 3 losses and in all likliehood they aren't a playoff team this year. Heck, I think W&M is better than UMass.

As for this weekend, I see nova/JMU as the better game. Elon was handled pretty well by Richmond earlier in the year, at Elon to boot, while both nova and JMU have beaten Richmond. Come playoff time, I don't really see Elon or Wofford as serious national title contenders, whereas you can make a case that both JMU and nova could be seeded teams regardless of who wins this game.
Agreed - UMass isn't going to the playoffs; JMU's big wins are App State and Richmond.