PDA

View Full Version : Nicest FCS stadium you've visited

MoreheadEagle
October 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
So what's the nicest FCS stadium you've been to. I'll be honest, I haven't been to many but I'll say Samford. For it's size Samford's facility is very nice. San Diego's isn't bad either.

BarefootApp
October 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I will say that the nicest stadium I am going to see is the new KBS in Boone. But until then, I have to say that Wa-Griz is pretty darn cool.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
... and cue the photos of Wa-Griz...

BarefootApp
October 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
oh no!!....sorry.

MoreheadEagle
October 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I might be making a trip to Boone next season to visit some friends. I'll try to check out KBS.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I might be making a trip to Boone next season to visit some friends. I'll try to check out KBS.

Let us App fans know if you decide to come by. Plenty of good food and *beverages* at the tailgates.

theasushow
October 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
utc is nice, shame they cant put more butts in the seats.

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Elon's Rhodes Stadium is very nice. Granted it doesn't compare in scale to Washington-Griz, Kidd Brewer, or, for that matter, places like the Yale Bowl or other old, massive facilities. however, 'specially around this time of year, it is quite beautiful and very modern. There's plenty of tailgaiting space, too. It's a terrific place to take in a game.

I'd love to see places like Paulson, Wa-Griz, and Finley in person. (Sadly, I've been unable to get away to Chattanooga for any of App's games there.)

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Elon's Rhodes Stadium is very nice. Granted it doesn't compare in scale to Washington-Griz, Kidd Brewer, or, for that matter, places like the Yale Bowl or other old, massive facilities. however, 'specially around this time of year, it is quite beautiful and very modern. There's plenty of tailgaiting space, too. It's a terrific place to take in a game.

I'd love to see places like Paulson, Wa-Griz, and Finley in person. (Sadly, I've been unable to get away to Chattanooga for any of App's games there.)

Hopefully you'll have two chances to see Finley Stadium in person this year.

ThreadStopper
October 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
UC Davis

Not only is it a great place right now, when the expand it to 30K it will be even better!

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Watched a game in:
Youngstown State
or
UT-Chatty

Been to:
Montana

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Princeton xnodx

madisonfan87
October 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
can someone post a pic of app state's new stadium please

Cap'n Cat
October 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Texas State, UNI, Montana, Weber State, Youngstown.

ur2k
October 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Agreed on Elon's stadium. I was glad to hear that this was one of the ones that UR officials visited for ideas on our new stadium.

The Rock was also a great place to watch a game b/c of the environment.

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
can someone post a pic of app state's new stadium please

It won't be finished until next year, but you can get a good idea by looking here:

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=107507&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1524463

madisonfan87
October 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
thanks for link

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Agreed on Elon's stadium. I was glad to hear that this was one of the ones that UR officials visited for ideas on our new stadium.

I've seen the renderings of UR's new stadium. Having been to Rhodes, that makes perfect sense. The design does bear some resemblance.

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Princeton xnodx

Ivy stadiums are the best hands down. I would probably rank Princeton as the best as well but Franklin, Yale Bowl, and Harvard are awesome as well.

http://www.clarkcompanies.com/Site%20Revision/images/Large%20Project%20Photos/Princeton-University.jpg

It holds 27k

IndianaAppMan
October 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM
As for scenic beauty, I think Furman deserves a mention. The hedges at the endzones are a nice touch, and the view of Paris Mountain in late October and throughout November can be gorgeous. As a facility, it's aight, but there's parking spaces galore for tailgaiters.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Portland State of course :D

Syntax Error
October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Too many fabulous places to list for many reasons, size, scenery, atmosphere, tradition, etc. I've been to stadiums in almost all the conferences but if I had to choose it would be Harvard's closely followed by Georgia Southern's. Both made me goosebump the most.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Texas State, UNI, Montana, Weber State, Youngstown.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the appeal for Texas State. I understand you were there for the 2005 semi's but go back any other time and I doubt you will be that impressed.

stevdock
October 18th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I have to say SDSU only because it's the only FCS stadium I have ever been to:)

Husky Alum
October 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
My Top 5, in no specific order....

Yale Bowl - more for the history and childhood memories
Harvard Stadium
Fargodome
Zable (W&M)
Youngstown

BigHouseClosedEnd
I agree on Elon. Wofford also has a really nice stadium.

AppAlum2003
I have to say SDSU only because it's the only FCS stadium I have ever been to:)

You've never been to your home stadium??????

stevdock
October 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM

How can you VISIT your home stadium when it is home??

AppAlum2003
October 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
How can you VISIT your home stadium when it is home??

Well, technically you said "I have to say SDSU only because it's the only FCS stadium I have ever been to:)"

Besides, I think more than one poster has already nominated their own stadium.

Appaholic
October 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
My top 5.....no order, but partial to KBS for obvious reason

KBS
WaGriz
Whitmire
Finley
Furman

haven't been to Rhodes, but brother loved it...

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Ivy stadiums are the best hands down. I would probably rank Princeton as the best as well but Franklin, Yale Bowl, and Harvard are awesome as well.

I have been to the Yale Bowl, and while it was really, really cool, it was also before the renovations. So while it felt like the Coliseum, it felt like the Coliseum currently looks xnutsx

I certainly wouldn't mind a trip back with the renovations xnodx

The Cats
October 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian College both have very nice stadiums.., smaller but nice lay outs.

smcwildcat
October 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
NU....hahaha ummm villanova..... georgia aouthern but they wewre mad bc we beat them in playoffs....

smcwildcat
October 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
southern

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
1. Franklin Field
2. Harvard Stadium
3. Yale Bowl
4. Princeton Stadium
5. Schoellkopf Field

patssle
October 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Fargodome isn't an FCS stadium. Its an arena (not owned by the university) that they convert into a football stadium a couple times a year.

ngineer
October 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
In terms of functionality, sight lines, and convenience, Princeton's stadium is far and away the best I've visited.

neersnbeers
October 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wait till KBS gets trimmed out. Should be sweet!

Go...gate
October 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Palmer Stadium (now demolished)
Yale Bowl
Harvard Stadium
Franklin Field
Princeton Stadium
Nickerson Field (BU's old ballpark)
Dartmouth's Memorial Field (in the 1960's - not the new place)
Villanova Stadium
Fisher Stadium
Goodman Stadium

Skjellyfetti
October 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Since "visiting" excludes KBS...

Zable Stadium - William and Mary
Bridgeforth - JMU
Finley - UT Chattanooga

FargoBison
October 18th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Fargodome isn't an FCS stadium. Its an arena (not owned by the university) that they convert into a football stadium a couple times a year.

It is an FCS stadium, it is the home of NDSU football(locker and training rooms, plus coaches offices). The dome is also in football configuration for 40-50 days a year(NDSU practices, games, and high school games). The Dome also sits on NDSU's campus.

th0m
October 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
My top 5.....no order, but partial to KBS for obvious reason

KBS
WaGriz
Whitmire
Finley
Furman

haven't been to Rhodes, but brother loved it...

Which school's is Whitmire?

AppMan
October 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM

http://www.clarkcompanies.com/Site%20Revision/images/Large%20Project%20Photos/Princeton-University.jpg

It holds 27k

That is pretty darn nice! Perhaps the best FCS "stadium" I've seen, easily in the top 3. Dig the wrap around endzone seating. However, like ASU, minus points for the soccer, FH and lacrosse lines.

AppMan
October 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Hate to say this, but until we lose the track, and those awful soccer & field hockey lines KBS can never be considered a "football" stadium. It is a multi-purpose facility we happen to play football in.

AppMan
October 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
UC Davis

Not only is it a great place right now, when the expand it to 30K it will be even better!

Considering you are averaging just over 8,000 per game what decade do you anticipate that will be in?

Husky Alum
October 19th, 2008, 08:16 AM
It is an FCS stadium, it is the home of NDSU football(locker and training rooms, plus coaches offices). The dome is also in football configuration for 40-50 days a year(NDSU practices, games, and high school games). The Dome also sits on NDSU's campus.

When we played NDSU, I received a private tour of the football facilities there. The locker and training rooms, coaches offices are state of the art. At the time I don't think Boston College had as nice locker, training and coaching facilities as NDSU did.

If that's not a stadium, I don't know what is.

The Cats
October 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Which school's is Whitmire?

WCU xthumbsupx

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
For watching the game JSU's Snow will rank with anyone. For beauty we would fall down in the ranking. You can't get any closer to the action unless you do away with the sidelines.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/alabama/jacksonville_snow.jpg

bostonspider
October 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I think the Yale Bowl last year for the Harvard - Yale Game was the best..

http://photos-757.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v155/97/11/506630757/n506630757_203632_1975.jpg

http://photos-757.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v155/97/11/506630757/n506630757_203631_1642.jpg

bobbythekidd
October 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Question about the Yale Bowl. I have never seen outside pics other than from the air. From that perspective, it looks like a pit, not in a bad way, but like the top is level with the ground around it. From the inside, it looks like it is partially raised above the ground around it.

If it is above the ground, what does the facade look like? You know the gates and stuff?

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
That is pretty darn nice! Perhaps the best FCS "stadium" I've seen, easily in the top 3. Dig the wrap around endzone seating. However, like ASU, minus points for the soccer, FH and lacrosse lines.

I'd take those lines instead of a track anyday!!

bostonspider
October 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
The Yale Bowl, is definitely a Bowl, with a good portion of the stadium dug into the ground. The exterior does not rise much above the ground, and is mostly grass. There used to be trees planted on the exterior of the stadium, but they were removed as the roots were ruining the structure.

Here is one of the entrance portals that ring the whole stadium.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/295532328_feb12d4d61.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Princeton xnodx

Agreed - Princeton is best.

Back when the Pards played Army regularly, the trip to Michie Stadium was great. If Army and Navy would make the (unlikely) return to PL fotball, I'd give the "best" award to West Point.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
The Yale Bowl, is definitely a Bowl, with a good portion of the stadium dug into the ground. The exterior does not rise much above the ground, and is mostly grass. There used to be trees planted on the exterior of the stadium, but they were removed as the roots were ruining the structure.

Here is one of the entrance portals that ring the whole stadium.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/295532328_feb12d4d61.jpg

inside

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0911/travel_yale_800.jpg

Husky Alum
October 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
The picture the poster earlier showed of the Yale Bowl is one of the portals at the bowl itself, there's no real facade, per se, but here's what the outside of the complex the Yale Bowl is part of looks like (And this is on the Derby Ave side of the Bowl)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:YaleBowl-WalterCampGate1.JPG

That's pretty impressive.

I remember as a kid driving with my dad going to games and looking for some huge stadium, parking our car to walk in and saying to him "where's the field?

slostang
October 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Wash/Griz is the best I have been to.

charliej
October 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Have to say the stadium I've most liked to visit for a game is Penn's Franklin Field. xnodx

There are some others that I liked for a good football "atmosphere". Not all great stadiums,but always liked to go to games in the Tub at UD,Lehighs Goodman stadium,Zable at W&M and Bridgeforth at JMU.

Notice I said always liked to go to these games,didn't always feel the same leaving some of 'em.xbawlingx

proasu89
October 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
The picture the poster earlier showed of the Yale Bowl is one of the portals at the bowl itself, there's no real facade, per se, but here's what the outside of the complex the Yale Bowl is part of looks like (And this is on the Derby Ave side of the Bowl)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:YaleBowl-WalterCampGate1.JPG

That's pretty impressive.

I remember as a kid driving with my dad going to games and looking for some huge stadium, parking our car to walk in and saying to him "where's the field?

Where are the restrooms and concessions?

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I would have to agree with those sayiing how nice Elon's stadium is. Doesn't seat much, but it's a beatiful setting and a nice, comfortable place to watch a game. It's as nice as any FCS stadium I've been to.

The Ivy League stadiums and Wa-Griz look fantastic in pictures. Hope I get a chance to visit them some day.

blueballs
October 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Chatty is probably the best venue I've been to as a visiting fan but GSU's Paulson Stadium is better only because the restrooms in the booster parking area are brand new, the restrooms inside the stadium are brand new, the concession area is brand new, there is an air conditioned bookstore that is brand new, the box office is brand new, the dressing rooms and offices (Bishop Building) are all brand new, and the fencing and facades-except for the press box- are all brand new.

elcid96
October 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Have you seen our new stadium? You can see all of Charleston from the Luxury Boxes.

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
ive been to Elon, Wofford, Gardner Webb, UTC, Davidson, and ofcourse App. Of those, I like Elon and App the best probably.

but......

if its as nice of a day next saturday as it is in boone today, I would have to rank KBS (scenery wise, leaves, etc) pretty high up there in all FCS. Great time of year to be in the High Country. xthumbsupx :)

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Have you seen our new stadium? You can see all of Charleston from the Luxury Boxes.

Dang, that does look pretty nice. Ive never been to El Cid, but Charleston is easily one of my favorite cities I have ever visited so I will for sure have to try to make it to a game down there in the next few years.

UNIFanSince1983
October 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well considering I have only been to UTC, Western Illinois, Drake, and the UNI-Dome. I have to say Finely was a great place (until we lost). I don't remember much of WIU, but it wasn't too bad. And Drake is a horrible as a football stadium, but the best track stadium I've been to.

I am also partial to the UNI-Dome!

SU DOG
October 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
So what's the nicest FCS stadium you've been to. I'll be honest, I haven't been to many but I'll say Samford. For it's size Samford's facility is very nice. San Diego's isn't bad either.

Thanks Eagle. The new Field House is under construction now, and when the planned expansion and luxury boxes are added, Seibert Stadium at Samford will be right up there in the mix.xthumbsupx

MSUBear42
October 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Youngstown and Missouri State's "Big" sides.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Where are the restrooms and concessions?

Outside. The picture of portal #8 that bostonspider posted was probably taken just in front of a concession stand. The restrooms also ring the stadium, but you do have to go back out through one of the portals.

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Youngstown and Missouri State's "Big" sides.

YSU's big side and small side are a lot better though.
MSU's big side isn't bad.

brownbear
October 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I just got back from Brown's game at Princeton, which was the first time I ever visited Princeton Stadium. Their stadium has fantastic sight-lines from pretty much anywhere, and it's in a great location.

However, I don't like the giant concrete horseshoe look at Princeton. Horseshoes are cool when they are filled with seats, and I recognize that old Palmer Stadium had a horseshoe, but they did not need to put up the concrete and glass structure that kind of towers the stadium.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I just got back from Brown's game at Princeton, which was the first time I ever visited Princeton Stadium. Their stadium has fantastic sight-lines from pretty much anywhere, and it's in a great location.

However, I don't like the giant concrete horseshoe look at Princeton. Horseshoes are cool when they are filled with seats, and I recognize that old Palmer Stadium had a horseshoe, but they did not need to put up the concrete and glass structure that kind of towers the stadium.

Congrats on your win yesterday, BB.

MSUBear42
October 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
YSU's big side and small side are a lot better though.
MSU's big side isn't bad.

Agreed.... Ours would be 20X better if/when they renovate and add on to the student section.

TA said on his radio show this week that he thinks that would be phase one and phase 2 would be to bring seats over the bleachers in the southside endzone.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Very nicexthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
October 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Haven't been there since it was finished. That is awesome!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

gbhmt
October 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Washington-Grizzly is a top five facility and has hands-down the best scenery.

crunifan
October 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Agreed.... Ours would be 20X better if/when they renovate and add on to the student section.

TA said on his radio show this week that he thinks that would be phase one and phase 2 would be to bring seats over the bleachers in the southside endzone.

I liked Missouri State's stadium. I agree the student section side was pretty pathetic, but the other side was pretty nice. And I really like the section of campus directly behind the endzone with the fountains. The only other FCS stadiums I have visited are Drake and obviously UNI, so I gotta go with UNI as the nicest I have been in.

yosef1969
October 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Been to all SoCon Stadiums except Samford, a few CAA, Big South, OVC, MEAC and pretty much anywhere we've played on the road in the playoffs the past 15 years.

I'd say Wa-Griz, Finley and Johnson-Hagood.

Like someone else already said, until the track is gone, Kidd Brewer can't compete with any of those facilities.

That said the scenery at KBS is comparable to Wa-Griz and as the leaves are changing it exceeds it IMO.

whoanellie
October 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM

your logo photo w/ flags is from your game with us (Elon) @ Rhodes in August?

ASU88
October 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Of course, in December there's nothing like Kidd Brewer West ...

... er, sorry, Finley stadium in Chattanooga. xlolx

Nice facility.

whoanellie
October 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
let's hope state budget changes don't delay this project.

ElonPride
October 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
My top 5:

1. Elon
2. App
3. Furman
4. Samford (love their campus too)
5. JMU

The absolute WORST I have visited is Gardner Webb. I'm not sure if they've rennovated, but they had wooden bleachers on the visitors side.

YaleFootballFan
October 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Best = Princeton Stadium

Worst = Palmer Stadium (Princeton's old stadium)

appstate38
October 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Rhodes Stadium for Elon is nice.
KBS is sweet and will be sweeter when finished
UTC stadium is nice
Marshall Stadium is nice even though they are no longer FCS.
JMU Stadium is cool.

ur2k
October 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
your logo photo w/ flags is from your game with us (Elon) @ Rhodes in August?

Correct.

Grizball
October 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Of course, I'm going to say Wa-Griz tops my list, followed by Finley.
I dont have a 'top 5'... or 10. But, if I did, I just could not include stadiums with a track or dome.
Just my opinion. If people like domes, thats their prerogative.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Best = Princeton Stadium

Worst = Palmer Stadium (Princeton's old stadium)

The most miserable I ever was at a game was at Palmer Stadium in the mid '80's. You sat on the concrete like at Harvard, and it was raining a cold, almost sleeting rain. The water was just pouring down the steps soaking everyone and everything.

It was worse than the Ice Bowl. At least I was dry that day.

YaleFootballFan
October 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
The most miserable I ever was at a game was at Palmer Stadium in the mid '80's. You sat on the concrete like at Harvard, and it was raining a cold, almost sleeting rain. The water was just pouring down the steps soaking everyone and everything.

It was worse than the Ice Bowl. At least I was dry that day.

I never felt safe at Palmer Stadium. That stadium should've been condemned years before it was actually closed.

I only have one fond memory from Palmer Stadium: Yale's Ivy championship clinching win over the Tigers in 1989. What a game!

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=YaleFootballFan;1160851]I never felt safe at Palmer Stadium. QUOTE]

Who is old enough to remember the old Taylor stadium at Lehigh? Loved the on-campus location, but it felt as if the concrete would at any moment crumble beneath you.

Silenoz
October 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Eastern Washington :p

I almost feel like I'm in the hole in prison sitting in those cramped bleachers

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
The Citadel....but the bathrooms on the visitors' side sucked.

seahawkfan2007
October 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
1. Princeton
2. Penn
3. Yale
4. Lehigh
5. JMU
Also Recieving Votes: Coastal Carolina and Stony Brook

Least Favorites: Jacksonville, Albany, Iona

Seawolf97
October 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
1. Princeton
2. Penn
3. Yale
4. Lehigh
5. JMU
Also Recieving Votes: Coastal Carolina and Stony Brook

Least Favorites: Jacksonville, Albany, Iona

I would put Wagner in the running. The view looking toward the river and Lower Manhattan is great.!xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
October 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
boise state before they went i-aa

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Stadiums I've been to for games in order:

Chatty - Great stadium, no track
Youngstown State - One great side, one good. no track
UNI - 2 good sides, no track
Illinois State - stands suck, great field and atmosphere. not rack
Drake - great facade, stupid track
Western Illinois - improvements on the facade. stupid track. bad stands.
Southern Illinois - 2 good sides, crumbling old facade, stupid track.
Missouri State - 1 good side. old. stupid track
New Hampshire - small. stupid track.

Cocky
October 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
boise state before they went i-aa

I watched their practice this past Tuesday. Boise State has very nice stadium but I did not care for the Blue turf.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I never felt safe at Palmer Stadium. That stadium should've been condemned years before it was actually closed.

I only have one fond memory from Palmer Stadium: Yale's Ivy championship clinching win over the Tigers in 1989. What a game!

I was there. That's the last time I was at Princeton. I moved to AZ in 1990 and have seen only a handful of games since.

I saw every Yale home game from 1973 to 1989 and every game home and away from 1975 to 1989. I miss it, but not enough to suffer through any more winters.

MSUBear42
October 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Stadiums I've been to for games in order:

Chatty - Great stadium, no track
Youngstown State - One great side, one good. no track
UNI - 2 good sides, no track
Illinois State - stands suck, great field and atmosphere. not rack
Drake - great facade, stupid track
Western Illinois - improvements on the facade. stupid track. bad stands.
Southern Illinois - 2 good sides, crumbling old facade, stupid track.
Missouri State - 1 good side. old. stupid track
New Hampshire - small. stupid track.

Definately agreeing with your "track" comments... I HATE it!!! That said, when we upgrade, hopefully that will be the next step, the west side and new east sides are/will be build to be able to have the track torn out and the field lowered.

Almost as bad as the track? Having freaking yellow soccer lines and maroon field hockey lines.

ASU Tailgaiteer
October 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
My top 5:

1. Elon
2. App
3. Furman
4. Samford (love their campus too)
5. JMU

The absolute WORST I have visited is Gardner Webb. I'm not sure if they've rennovated, but they had wooden bleachers on the visitors side.

Gardner Webb's visitor side was the equivalent of a bad high school stadium when we visited two years ago. However, the home side is nice.

Wofford has a nice stadium. It's a tidy stadium with a killer hill at one end.

Chatty's stadium is great, although not in the best area of downtown.

BearsCountry
October 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
LP Field home of Tennessee State is pretty nice. :)

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I have not been to many (UR, Villanova, Zable, KBS, Minidome, Chatty), but my list is:

1. Zable
2. Chatty
3. KBS (I went pre-addition)
4. UR (looking forward to the new stadium)
5. 'Nova (it's been several years since I went, so I think they have made some changes)
6. Minidome (Awesome...just awesome...getting to see Randy Moss play in one of the worst facilities ever)

UDBlueLotFan
October 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I have not been to many (UR, Villanova, Zable, KBS, Minidome, Chatty), but my list is:

1. Zable
2. Chatty
3. KBS (I went pre-addition)
4. UR (looking forward to the new stadium)
5. 'Nova (it's been several years since I went, so I think they have made some changes)
6. Minidome (Awesome...just awesome...getting to see Randy Moss play in one of the worst facilities ever)

Sounds like you haven't been to the TUB either? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix You lost all credit with 'Nova making your listxnonox xoopsx ...we have HS stadiums nicer than that crackerjack box of a stadiumxwhistlex

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Sounds like you haven't been to the TUB either? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix You lost all credit with 'Nova making your listxnonox xoopsx ...we have HS stadiums nicer than that crackerjack box of a stadiumxwhistlex

I haven't been to the Tub, but would love to go. Now that we've got season tickets and JMU is 4 hours north, I may have a hard time convincing the wife to let me take an extra weekend up to Newark...

I only put Nova on there because I'd been...It was not impressive when I went, but better than the Mini-Dome.

93henfan
October 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Yeah, the Tub is getting no love in this thread. Most likely because Delaware is out-of-sight, out-of-mind with the 2-5 record this year or else visiting fans just have a hard time getting tickets.

It's certainly a top 5 FCS stadium.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/93bluehen/Tub-1.jpg

UCABEARS75
October 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Nicest I have visited personally is Ga. Southern easily.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
People are kind of all over the place here. Maybe I'm too literal, but "nice" is a strange word. I love going to Franklin Field, but I'm not sure how it can be considered "nice"... similarly, is the Yale Bowl really "nice"? Both are extremely historic, but rely completely on that history and tradition to support their place here.

To me, nice also means you could have very small stadiums with terrible sight lines be "nice"... Zable in Williamsburg for example. Always clean, very pretty, appealing architecture, but actually not a great stadium in which to watch a game (I do love going though).

I would have to list Chatty near the top. Football only, neat surroundings, easy in and out, good layout of amenities, no track, good size for I-AA... xthumbsupx

Tribegrad02
October 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I have been to most of the CAA stadiums (W&M, UR, UD, JMU, VU, HU, Maine, Towson, NU) and a few of the SoCon (App, Furman, Wofford and Elon) I've also been to VMI, Hampton, Fordham and Yale.

For Best Looking Stadium I'd say it's either Zable (homer pick I know, but it is beautiful), Wofford or Elon.

JMU, UD, App and Hampton all have great atmospheres

VMI actually has a really nice facility now, too. They did some renovations, I think, a few years ago.

Will be nice to see UR's place in a few years, City Stadium is the pits

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
People are kind of all over the place here. Maybe I'm too literal, but "nice" is a strange word. I love going to Franklin Field, but I'm not sure how it can be considered "nice"... similarly, is the Yale Bowl really "nice"? Both are extremely historic, but rely completely on that history and tradition to support their place here.

To me, nice also means you could have very small stadiums with terrible sight lines be "nice"... Zable in Williamsburg for example. Always clean, very pretty, appealing architecture, but actually not a great stadium in which to watch a game (I do love going though).

I would have to list Chatty near the top. Football only, neat surroundings, easy in and out, good layout of amenities, no track, good size for I-AA... xthumbsupx

I know what you're saying 89, but IMO the Yale Bowl has more than history going for it, but that is a huge factor. It actually is a great place to watch a game from all 65K seats. I've been there twice when 35K were in attendance for a Bulldog-Sled Dog bragging rights contest. The tailgating was terrific and the atmosphere in the stadium was terrific. I'd love to attend a Harvard-Yale game there. And today they've fixed all the crumbling concrete and splintering wooden benches!!

I guess for me I rate stadiums nice if they have the majority of their seats with good sight lines and aren't too far from the field, have parking areas nearby for tailgating, have decent concessions/rest rooms, has fans that at a minimum let visitors co-exist, etc.

With the new stands on the Ryan Center side, I enjoy going to Meade (URI). With all the stands at the same height, no track and the nearby parking lots, I enjoy watching games at Shuart (Hofstra) although NYC traffic gives it negative points. Now that Unitas Stadium (Towson) has removed the old turf, that's an enjoyable place to watch a game and Fells Point gives it positive points. Armstrong (Hampton) is an enjoyable stadium that gets extra credit due to the quality of the tailgating and the hospitality of the fans.

Delaware Memorial Stadium on its own isn't "that nice" since it is just big and kind of non-descript architecturally, but definitely goes to the top of my list because of the awesome atmosphere, the pulled pork sandwiches, tailgating with Henfan and Blukeys and of course the pee wall. :p

andy7171
October 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Zable, hands down for me. I love that place. Even getting stuck in the far end visitor section. The atmosphere and campus make up for the crick in your neck afterwards.

I'll give a shout out to Colgate's stadium. I like the arched look.

I'm going to the Nova away game in a couple weeks, getting conflicting review of that stadium in this thread. I have driven by it before.

I've played in a lot more than I have gone to as a fan. Liberty, Delaware, JMU, Buffalo, and Bucknell were all very nice facilities. Hofstra's could have been nice, but it was night, we were getting our a$$ kicked and it was under 2 inches of water, so I don't know. I'm looking forward to making that trip in 2010 though to visit UB!

The worst, hands down was Del State and Northeasterns old astroturf parking lot of a field.

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
It actually is a great place to watch a game from all 65K seats.
All great or "all the same"? Looks pretty flat to me and with the front row being actually furthest away at the 50's I'm not sure how great the viewing could be anywhere in the stadium. Compare that to a place like Montana or Princeton where the stands are closer and steeper. Even the Tub (BTW, I would NOT include the Tub on the "nicest" list) I would bet has MUCH better sight lines than the YB.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0911/travel_yale_800.jpg
http://www.bluehenfootball.com/StadiumWest-East3.jpg

appfan2008
October 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I think the point being made is that if you are on the 10 yard line in the yale bowl your seat faces mid field and you can see the action on the other end much better than at app or montana or deleware where the stands are flat to the sideline and you must turn to see the action...

89Hen
October 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I think the point being made is that if you are on the 10 yard line in the yale bowl your seat faces mid field and you can see the action on the other end much better than at app or montana or deleware where the stands are flat to the sideline and you must turn to see the action...
FWIW, I'd rather be higher and closer than angled. All of the stadiums in question are benches, so without arms and backs, angled is really not an issue. xpeacex

Minuteman2012
October 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've been to

Lehigh
UMass
Harvard
Yale
Villanova
Lafayette
Fordham
Georgetown

I'd say of those, Lehigh is the nicest. Nothing beats it in the fall.

gbhmt
October 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM

uhhhh the bowl is much less vertical, the problem would be seeing over people in front of you. A simple turn of the head is a fine trade-off for total vision of the entire field in a more vertical stadium.

AppMan
October 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd take those lines instead of a track anyday!!

Can't argue with that. I hate the track around KBS.

joecooll6
October 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Ive been to

UNI
Illinois State
SIU
Drake and
Chattanooga

Chattanooga is the best of that list.

Tailbone
October 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hey! Does anyone want to see some pictures of washington/Grizzly stadium? xlolx

TheValleyRaider
October 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'd say of those, Lehigh is the nicest. Nothing beats it in the fall.

Lehigh is the best in the PL, IMO xnodx

Haven't been to the new Fisher, though, but Lehigh's got size, atmosphere, seating, fall foliage, the whole 9 (10? 100? 120?) yards xnodx xnodx xnodx

The Cats
October 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM

pass..... xcoffeex

griz8791
October 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Twelve pages of stadium discussion and no Wa-Griz pics. There may be hope.

Big Dawg
October 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've only been to 2 other FCS stadiums. I went to Troy St. in 1999 and Southern this past weekend.

Southern has a NICE stadium

danefan
October 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM
For me its definitely Montana. I played there in 2002 and even though we got killed it was a great experience in a beautiful part of the country.

I hope the Danes get to play out there again, so I can make it out as a spectator this time.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Almost as bad as the track? Having freaking yellow soccer lines and maroon field hockey lines.

definitely

slostang
October 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM

I just so happen to have a few from my visit a in 2006.xlolx

footballfan
October 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Top 5 I have been to:

1. Washington-Griz - Fantastic view - Great place to watch football

2. "The Ice Castle" - Youngstown State - Impressive place

3. Georgia Southern - Greatest Tailgating and Fans

4. UCD - Wonderful Stadium that will only get better

5. Homer Bryce - Stephen F Austin - Great Venue

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have been to most of the CAA stadiums (W&M, UR, UD, JMU, VU, HU, Maine, Towson, NU) and a few of the SoCon (App, Furman, Wofford and Elon) I've also been to VMI, Hampton, Fordham and Yale.

For Best Looking Stadium I'd say it's either Zable (homer pick I know, but it is beautiful), Wofford or Elon.

JMU, UD, App and Hampton all have great atmospheres

VMI actually has a really nice facility now, too. They did some renovations, I think, a few years ago.

Will be nice to see UR's place in a few years, City Stadium is the pits

So you haven't been to UNH.

I can only surmise you only left Durham off the list because you believe all the lies, untruths, and photo shopped pics that have been spread around AGS for years.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I've only been to 2 other FCS stadiums. I went to Troy St. in 1999 and Southern this past weekend.

Thanks. xthumbsupx

Kymermosst
October 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've only ever been to UMass, UNH, URI, NU, Hofstra, UD, and Finley. Not hard to pick a favorite out of those. Though UD and the pee wall do make a good case.

sharkeycox
October 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Stephen F. Austin
3. Northwestern State

Grizaholic17
October 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have been to the ends of the country at KBS,
I have seen the palace of ICE,
I have tasted the near canadian air in Fargo,
And I have lived in Wa/Griz for countless years.

And when a stadium gives you more surprises than britney spears during that time of month, then you have to respect it.

1. Wa/Griz
2. Fargodome
3. KBS
4. Ice Palace

These, in my opinion, are the best in the FCS. Ga Southern should be on here, but haven't made it there. This is the order of how it should be! xpeacex

GSUhooligan
October 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I've been to every SoCon stadium plus:
ETSU
Northeastern
Jacksonville St.
Sav. St.
Coastal Carolina
Texas St.

It's hard to rank, so I'll put into groups

1st Group
Paulson- GSU
KBS-App
Finley- UTC

2nd Group
Rhodes- Elon
Gibbs-Wofford
Paul Snow- JSU
Paladin-Furman
Bobcat- Tex. St.
Whitmire- WCU
Brooks- CCU

3rd Group
Penis-Haggood- citadel
Siebert- Samford
Parsons Field- NU
Mini Dome-ETSU

4th
Memorial Stadium- Savannah St.

813Jag
October 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I like Turpin Stadium except for the fact that the other side is pretty small.

813Jag
October 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM

Don't hear that much from visitors. Well you did have a better seat than the fans usually have. xlolx

lizrdgizrd
October 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I really like Rhodes Stadium and I'm glad that KBS is going the brick route also. I like Zable except for the flimsy end-zone stands. Are they going to put in some that don't move when someone walks by?

carney2
October 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
1. Princeton. Perhaps a little "cold" and featureless once you're in it, but really well designed for its sole purpose - football.

2. Lafayette. I'm being a bit of a homer here, but the new Fisher Stadium is intimate and a really great place to see a game. When they add temporary seats in the east end zone it masquerades as a horseshoe. No parking - and that's really a bummer on big game days.

3. Pennsylvania. It's old, there are no amenities and no parking, but Franklin Field still has a special appeal.

4. Harvard. Those Greek (?) columns at the top somehow make it more than football. Would get a higher rating if it were actually on campus.

5. Lehigh. Goodman needs some refurbishing, is off campus (way off campus), and the parking lots can become the Okefenokee in bad weather, but it's in a great setting and, unlike far too many FCS stadiums, is "balanced: in that the opposing stands are pretty much mirror images of each other.

HM Cornell. The Crescent is kind of special.

Sorry. That's the best I can do. I don't get around much.

Tribegrad02
October 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
So you haven't been to UNH.

I can only surmise you only left Durham off the list because you believe all the lies, untruths, and photo shopped pics that have been spread around AGS for years.

I never made it to UNH, UMass or URI in my college days. Would have loved to have been at your guys place when we played you this year. I haven't been on AGS long enough to see photoshopped pics, so maybe I'll just make a trip up there and see for myself next time around