PDA

View Full Version : Top Freshman QBs

umassfan
November 6th, 2005, 11:11 PM
UMass's Liam Coen winning the A10 rookie of the week for the past three weeks got me thinking... are their any other freshman QBs putting up numbers like him. It looks like it will be a two man race for the A10 rookie of the year between Coen and URIs FB(name slipping me at the moment).

TXST_CAT
November 6th, 2005, 11:31 PM
UMass's Liam Coen winning the A10 rookie of the week for the past three weeks got me thinking... are their any other freshman QBs putting up numbers like him. It looks like it will be a two man race for the A10 rookie of the year between Coen and URIs FB(name slipping me at the moment).

Next season keep an eye out for TXST's Bradly George. That's if he beats out our current back up Chase Wasson.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I believe the QB at Towson (Shaefer sp????) is also a freshman and he'll be in the running for A-10 rookie of the year as well.

umassfan
November 7th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I believe the QB at Towson (Shaefer sp????) is also a freshman and he'll be in the running for A-10 rookie of the year as well.
Not with his 17td to 15 int ratio he wont.

blur2005
November 7th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Not with his 17td to 15 int ratio he wont.
Would that matter a lot if his team goes 8-3, 7-4, or even 6-5? I have to think it wouldn't that much, considering where Towson was last year. If a freshman is leading them on that kind of turnaround, a TD/INT ratio isn't going to destroy a candidate, especially when he still has more TDs than INTs.

Tribe4SF
November 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Jake Phillips of W&M. Took over as the starter after the NU game. Has two ROTW and one POTW in the A-10.

LacesOut
November 7th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Wait. According to UD's Keeler, they are losing games because of youth and inexperience. You mean to tell me other teams are winning with their youth??????? lol

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Wait. According to UD's Keeler, they are losing games because of youth and inexperience. You mean to tell me other teams are winning with their youth??????? lol

Now now now - I don't think any of the QB's mentioned are also throwing to an entire WR corps who are also all freshman, or have defenses that are playing a handful of true freshmen as well. You can be young in a few places and still be good - you can't be young everywhere and expect to be good.

umassfan
November 7th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Now now now - I don't think any of the QB's mentioned are also throwing to an entire WR corps who are also all freshman, or have defenses that are playing a handful of true freshmen as well. You can be young in a few places and still be good - you can't be young everywhere and expect to be good.

Coen is throwing to mainely 2 sophmores 1 freshman 1 jr and 1 sr.

grizband
November 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Montana's red shirt freshman Cole Berquist has shown some flashes of brilliance in the games he has started this year. I can only think that he will continue to get better and better while he is here with the Griz.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Coen is throwing to mainely 2 sophmores 1 freshman 1 jr and 1 sr.

I gotta go with Schaefer on this one - his top 4 recievers are 2 Jr's, 1 So, and 1 true freshman, plus he doesn't have the supporting cast that Coen has around him. Not too mention the lack of a defense - Towson has one of the worst scoring defenses in the conference - Shaeffer is asked to do a lot more with a lot less than what Coen, or Phillips for that matter, has.

ChickenMan
November 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I gotta go with Schaefer on this one - his top 4 recievers are 2 Jr's, 1 So, and 1 true freshman, plus he doesn't have the supporting cast that Coen has around him. Not too mention the lack of a defense - Towson has one of the worst scoring defenses in the conference - Shaeffer is asked to do a lot more with a lot less than what Coen, or Phillips for that matter, has.

Stop!!! You should know better than to argue with umassfan... :p

umassfan
November 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Between the two

PASSING AVG/G Team.. Cl G Att Cmp ..Int ....Pct. Yds ....TD.. Avg/G

Sean Schaefer....... TU FR 9 293 183 13.. 62.5.. 2264.. 15 ..251.6
Liam Coen.........UMASS FR 8 210 135 3 .. 64.3 ..1758.. 10 ..219.8

The bolded numbers will be the telling stat... if Schaefer doesnt impove that number, he has no shot.

DTSpider
November 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Schaefer has to play against Richmond (at home) and then travel to JMU. JMU's pass defense is still pretty darn good and I'd say that Richmond's is average.

Coen has to travel to Army but gets Hofstra. My guess is that Coen ends up with better numbers. Considering UMass most likely will be in the playoffs that gives Coen a slight edge although I think that Schaefer does more with less.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Between the two

PASSING AVG/G Team.. Cl G Att Cmp ..Int ....Pct. Yds ....TD.. Avg/G

Sean Schaefer....... TU FR 9 293 183 13.. 62.5.. 2264.. 15 ..251.6
Liam Coen.........UMASS FR 8 210 135 3 .. 64.3 ..1758.. 10 ..219.8

The bolded numbers will be the telling stat... if Schaefer doesnt impove that number, he has no shot.

I don't disagree with the numbers, but I think it's those numbers that bear out the difference - like our Spider friend says, Schaefer's doing more with less - stats only tell you so much.

Tribe4SF
November 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Phillips has played less than the other two, but is the only one of the three who is a threat to run. In terms of efficiency, they rank as follows.

Phillips...........156.5
Coen.............147.5
Schaefer........135.4

NSUDemon98
November 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

NSU recruited QB Sean Santos out of the New Orleans Catholic league. He was the first QB to start as a freshmen in that league in 10 years and broke the all-time passing yards record set by one of the Manning brothers. Not sure if he will start as a freshmen next year.

NSU has been in bad need of a QB for years...hopefully Santos, will turn out to be a Saint.

LacesOut
November 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
NSU recruited QB Sean Santos out of the New Orleans Catholic league. He was the first QB to start as a freshmen in that league in 10 years and broke the all-time passing yards record set by one of the Manning brothers. Not sure if he will start as a freshmen next year.

NSU has been in bad need of a QB for years...hopefully Santos, will turn out to be a Saint.

He's so good he signed with a I-AA school?!?! Am I missing something here?

TigerFan17
November 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
You also have to understand the game by game breakdown. While Schaefer struggled in the beginning (accounted for 6 turnovers in game 1), he has picked it up from the beginning of the second half of the Northeastern game and never looked back. If he was playing like he is now all year, he'd have soared well above the pack. Also, we are under-scholarshipped by 23 schollies, and he is leading us to a winning season and possibly a playoff berth after a 3-8, 0-8 in conf. campaign last year with largely the same squad.

I think if we go 8-3, or maybe even 7-4, he has a fantastic shot. However, if UMass wins out and beats Army, I think Coen will win.

Schaefer continues to impress me though...he looks better and better every game and has a bright future if he stays healthy!

JMU2004
November 7th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Philips looked much better than Coen did....at least against JMU

footballsmarts1
November 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
laces out
you make it sound like nobody opts to go i-aa if they have i-a offers. he could be very good and just found something at NSU that he liked. you make it seem like i-aa players are the rejects of i-a. UNH had a top 15 qb committ with numerous i-a offers but at the last minute decided to play pro baseball. Lezotte had numerous i-a offers include some sec schools but chose JMU because his brother was their. and there a many more.

umassfan
November 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Coen only played half of the game vs JMU and it was in the slop... not much offense in that game... He got a nasty hit and got a concusion(thats for that by the way because he has put up insane numbers since including 3 Rookie of the weeks) and didnt return to the game.

ngineer
November 7th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Interesting debate. I have nothing to offer as Lehigh doesn't even have a freshman QB on its roster. With the depth we had at that position going into this year focus was elsewhere. Obviously, that will change this year. Though Threatt will be around for two more seasons, the backups will be a senior and junior next year. Last time we had a freshman at the helm was Phil Stambaugh when he took over in mid-season in 1996.

Tribe4SF
November 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Having only seen Coen play on TV, it's hard to compare him. When Phillips and Schaefer went head-to-head, I thought Phillips was clearly better. Schaefer will have a great career, though. He's got a good arm, sees the field and appears durable. Towson's o-line will get better, and he will be even more dangerous with good protection.

GoGSU
November 7th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Jayson Foster for GSU is awesome, although he is a sophomore, this is 1st year behind center, and getting better every week..................

Maroon&White
November 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Jayson Foster for GSU is awesome, although he is a sophomore, this is 1st year behind center, and getting better every week..................

Has he learned how to pass yet? No smack intended, just when I saw him vs. NU he could barely throw the football.