PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Showdown Week

LarryBoy
October 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
And then there were four.

Next week:
Furman at Appalachian State
Wofford at Elon

The SoCon picture will be a lot more clear after next week. GSU and The Citadel fell out of contention today (though GSU's demise is downright unfair...three conference losses by a total of four points?). Next week's winners will have a serious leg up on everyone (and if Furman and Elon win, Elon will have a SERIOUS leg up).

Thoughts?

My gut is going with Appalachian State and Wofford. App State's D is vulnerable, and Furman played three dominant quarters of football against El Cid today, but we're still a bit of a mystery. Which team shows up? The problem is, no matter what team shows up, they'll step out of the bus in Boone.xmadx

Wofford has put the throttle down and hasn't let up. Elon has the balanced attack to adjust and win. My pick is going with Ayers on this one.

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I would agree.

I THINK we have enough for Furman next week, though I expect a good game, and I'll be there live to check it out.

I also think we have enough offense to outscore Elon and, should it come down to those two, I like our odds.

Wofford though. Those guys are tough on us. I envision another nailbiter and I'm fearing a horror show on Halloween in Boone.

Death Dealer
October 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Pure homer pick here. Furman with the upset.

Woofie over Elon in a battle to the finish.

What a great year for SOCON football!! But what's new, eh?xthumbsupx

matfu
October 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
App over Furman

Wofford over Elon

I think Wofford is the team to beat!

elon77
October 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
App over Furman

Wofford over Elon

Everyone picked Ga Southern over Elon, then they picked Furman over Elon, next was The Citadel over Elon, and now Wofford over Elon. Oh well, what a surprise.xconfusedx

appstate38
October 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am just glad the game is in Boone. The FCS spotlight will definitely be on the SoCon this week.

Apps over Furman
Elon over Wofford

NC over SC

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Everyone picked Ga Southern over Elon, then they picked Furman over Elon, next was The Citadel over Elon, and now Wofford over Elon. Oh well, what a surprise.xconfusedx
You should be happy. It's much better to actually win the games than it is to have people beforehand THINKING you will win the games.

ChiefGSU275
October 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
From what I've seen this year, I'll take...

App over Furman

Elon over Wofford

Elon over App for the SoCon title.

LarryBoy
October 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Another thing to remember is, none of these teams fall out of the playoff hunt with a loss this week. Furman or ASU would suddenly be on the brink of elimination with a loss, but not out of it. Wofford and Elon have a bit of a buffer.

Unfortunately for us, even after the trip into the bowels of Boone, we still have Samford (have to give them credit for their play so far), GSU (THRILLED that we have them at home and not at Paulson), and Wofford on the road. ASU still has Wofford and Elon, but have the benefit of the Kidd Brewer Bump.

apaladin
October 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM

That's because you're still Elon.xlolx

ElonFirefighter
October 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Here how its going to play out. Elon over wofford, wofford over App, App over Elon. Three way tie, so you go to overall record. That drops app out with 3 losses to Elon/Woffords 2. So now its Elon wofford head to head, with elon having the tie breaker from beating wofford. With that Elon takes the crown.
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
Next question please xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

theasushow
October 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
hopefully elon will put up about 700 yards and 60 points next week, then wofford's defense will still be worn out when they come to boone. (sorry i know thats bush league, but with our "defense" we are gonna need all the help we can get against the terriers halloween night)

94Terrier
October 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
This is what it's all about. Entering the season, I truly thought this would be more of a rebuilding year for the Terriers. Now, I look at it as a reloading year. Elon takes Wofford into the forth in a close game, but the Terriers finish soundly and win it going away. The Flurples and the Boonies: Do I have to pick a winner??? I guess I'll go with Appy, since my dispise for the Flurples dates back further.

catamount man
October 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM

I'm picking Elon over Wofford. xthumbsupx

The Cats
October 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
And then there were four.

Next week:
Furman at Appalachian State
Wofford at Elon

The SoCon picture will be a lot more clear after next week. GSU and The Citadel fell out of contention today (though GSU's demise is downright unfair...three conference losses by a total of four points?). Next week's winners will have a serious leg up on everyone (and if Furman and Elon win, Elon will have a SERIOUS leg up).

Thoughts?

My gut is going with Appalachian State and Wofford. App State's D is vulnerable, and Furman played three dominant quarters of football against El Cid today, but we're still a bit of a mystery. Which team shows up? The problem is, no matter what team shows up, they'll step out of the bus in Boone.xmadx

Wofford has put the throttle down and hasn't let up. Elon has the balanced attack to adjust and win. My pick is going with Ayers on this one.

The showdown here is Wofford at Elon. Wofford wins convincingly........ IMO, Furman has very little to no chance when they climb the mountain.

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
App over Furman
Wofford over Elon

james_lawfirm
October 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Here how its going to play out. Elon over wofford, wofford over App, App over Elon. Three way tie, so you go to overall record. That drops app out with 3 losses to Elon/Woffords 2. So now its Elon wofford head to head, with elon having the tie breaker from beating wofford. With that Elon takes the crown.

I don't think that's how it works. IF there is a 3-way tie as you suppose with E > W, W > A, & A > E, then there would be 3 Co-champs of the SoCon. And then, to determine the AQ, there is a coin toss in some back room office of the SoCon folks. Yuck, ptooie!

At least that's how I remember it working the last time there were 3 SoCon co-champs (2000?).

The Cats
October 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM

I totally agree.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Don't know if I should pull for the woofs or the ashbirds. If GSU can't win the SoCon I want Elon to win it since they have never won it before. On the other hand, a loss by Wofford could hurt their chances of getting into the playoffs (I want at least three teams in the playoffs this year G^d-D@^^it!) as they still have to play App., Furman, and The Citadel.

You guys played two of those games in Charleston and Statesboro. Don't know about anyone else, but when I see two teams as being evenly matched I'll usually take the home-team, especially if the home team's name is Georgia Southern or Appalachian State.

I don't think that's how it works. IF there is a 3-way tie as you suppose with E > W, W > A, & A > E, then there would be 3 Co-champs of the SoCon. And then, to determine the AQ, there is a coin toss in some back room office of the SoCon folks. Yuck, ptooie!

At least that's how I remember it working the last time there were 3 SoCon co-champs (2000?).

I'm pretty sure GSU won the conference outright in 2000. We had only one loss, and Furman and App. State both had two. '99 was the year there was a three-way tie.

proasu89
October 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM

xchinscratchx xnutsx xlolx

Are you freakin serious? Overall record has NOTHING to do with the conference race. Don't think playing LSU should penalize anyone.

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
[/SIZE]

Are you freakin serious? Overall record has NOTHING to do with the conference race. Don't think playing LSU should penalize anyone.

kinda what i was thinking too......xcoffeex xnonox

ElonFirefighter
October 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
[/SIZE]

That when it comes to getting into the playoffs. Conf champion is head to head, or person who beat the most teams in a three way or greater. once one team is eleminated you start over looking at the records. in my previous post Elon would be the winner