PDA

View Full Version : Football/Basketball conflicts

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I see that Richmond plays a home game in basketball against Wake Forest at 7pm Dec 19th. So I decided to look at a few other teams who might have wanted to take the NC in Chatty into consideration. JMU plays Seton Hall on Mon Dec 22, Nova plays Navy that same day (Dec 22), ASU play Kentucky in Louisville at noon on Dec 20 [if they are in Chatty I guess they can just keep heading west].

Any other playoff contenders know of a conflict with another major sport?

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I see that Richmond plays a home game in basketball against Wake Forest at 7pm Dec 19th. So I decided to look at a few other teams who might have wanted to take the NC in Chatty into consideration. JMU plays Seton Hall on Mon Dec 22, Nova plays Navy that same day (Dec 22), ASU play Kentucky in Louisville at noon on Dec 20 [if they are in Chatty I guess they can just keep heading west].

Any other playoff contenders know of a conflict with another major sport?

I would think a game for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in football would take major preference among fans that some early-season basketball game...especially since no FCS schools will EVER win a national championship in hoops.

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I would think a game for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in football would take major preference among fans that some early-season basketball game...especially since no FCS schools will EVER win a national championship in hoops.

Well there is Nova maybe UMass....and I still don't think it is a good idea to put a big OOC hoops game on that friday, if you can help it.

But I guess since we play WF every year since the 60s and they are giving us an extra home game to make up for missing last year, we had to take whatever date they had.

I just want to see both even if we aren't playing in both. xbawlingx

AppAlum2003
October 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Didn't Camby lead the MinuteMen to a National Championship back in the day? I could be incorrect here........... xeyebrowx

NovaWildcat
October 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Speak for yourself.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yea, this is a no brainer for Dukes fans....

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah, Georgetown , Nova, etc. I forgot about those great Big East schools that play FCS football...and UMass. I blew it with that comment...correction deserved and accepted.

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yea, this is a no brainer for Dukes fans....

Yeah, now...with Lefty or in the early 80s, I'm not as sure.

I wouldn't think JMU would want a Lefty team facing MD at home if the football team had a chance to play for a football championship on the same night.

And I think it was something to consider when the schedules are being made...

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, now...with Lefty or in the early 80s, I'm not as sure.

I wouldn't think JMU would want a Lefty team facing MD at home if the football team had a chance to play for a football championship on the same night.

And I think it was something to consider when the schedules are being made...

Early 80s it might've been an issue.

I think for some schools it still is. Just not for us.

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Oh yeah, Georgetown , Nova, etc. I forgot about those great Big East schools that play FCS football...and UMass. I blew it with that comment...correction deserved and accepted.

Georgetown I knew I was missing someone....all I had to do was look at our next home game.xoopsx

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Early 80s it might've been an issue.

I think for some schools it still is. Just not for us.

Yeah, I know some JMU grads from the mid 90s who are shocked at how much that has changed. Not necessarily upset just surprised.

I never realized there are only a dozen or so FCS schools with hoops success. The CAA may be adding another with ODU.

AppAlum2003
October 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Georgetown I knew I was missing someone....all I had to do was look at our next home game.xoopsx

Georgetown has a football team?!? xeekx

:D

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Richmond upset South Carolina once in the NCAA tourney...they have had solid teams in the past, but never what I'd call a national championship contender. So go with the football NC game if you get there...that could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM

I could be wrong about this as well, but I think they are a "fake" team like Davidson

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM

At least for now, in a couple of weeks they may just decide to disband.:D

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Richmond upset South Carolina once in the NCAA tourney...they have had solid teams in the past, but never what I'd call a national championship contender. So go with the football NC game if you get there...that could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

I agree if we are there...if not I may have to find a way to get cable on a handheld :D

Oh and BTW, UR beat Auburn with Barkley, Georgia Tech, Indiana, & Syracuse as well as USC. Only team to win more than once as a double digit seed and we did it as a 12, 13, 14, & 15 but who's counting and that is for another board. xlolx

Umass74
October 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Didn't Camby lead the MinuteMen to a National Championship back in the day? I could be incorrect here...........

No. We lost in the Final Four. When did Villanova win their National Championship? I think they had not brought back their football team yet.

Villanova and Georgetown have the most potential to win a National Championship. UMass is on the mend, but we don't have a program of the level of those two.

Trivia question: Name the player that started on a Football National Championship team and was also a member of a Final Four Basketball team?

Jackman
October 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
UMass has a home game against Hofstra the day afterward. Not a hard choice, even if you're too lazy to make both. If it was BC it might be harder, but they're coming on the day of the quarterfinals. We've already pushed them from a 5:30pm tipoff to 8:30pm, just in case. Strangely enough, the last time they came here was also during the quarterfinals. We had a sellout for the UNH playoff game, then we walked over and sold out the basketball arena. Was a great day up until the point when BC blew us out.

We should probably be scheduling Patriot League opponents in basketball for the first Saturday of the FCS playoffs, on the chance we can get a 'two fer'.

Hoyadestroya85
October 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Do Villanova or Georgetown resonate with you?
both are perennial top 25 programs, Villanova has made it to the sweet 16 3 out of the last 4 years.

It's hard to get student tickets to Villanova games against the lowest of cupcakes, as for football, you can just show your student ID and walk in the door..

IF The Cats make it to the national championship, i'll go to the game, have them take my ticket (or else i get screwed in the ticket lottery) and then i'll go home and watch the game or i'll go to chattanooga (hopefully the latter)

Jackman
October 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Southern Illinois might enter the margins of this discussion too.

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
UMass has a home game against Hofstra the day afterward. Not a hard choice, even if you're too lazy to make both. If it was BC it might be harder, but they're coming on the day of the quarterfinals. We've already pushed them from a 5:30pm tipoff to 8:30pm, just in case. Strangely enough, the last time they came here was also during the quarterfinals. We had a sellout for the UNH playoff game, then we walked over and sold out the basketball arena. Was a great day up until the point when BC blew us out.

We should probably be scheduling Patriot League opponents in basketball for the first Saturday of the FCS playoffs, on the chance we can get a 'two fer'.

We have done a twofer as well, but that's harder to do on a Friday and from Chatty xeekx.

And you are right if we are there, then Chatty is a no brainer. But if I have to decide between ASU/JMU on TV or a live match up with the ACC it gets a bit more fuzzy. And shouldn't be necessary. :(

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Southern Illinois might enter the margins of this discussion too.

As I started looking at it, I thought of them. And to a very minor degree Davidson & Bucknell.

It looks like UMass, Nova & SIU have the best chance of a good year in both at the same time.

Old Cage
October 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
On the trivia question - I know, I know! Put me in, Coach.

On the afternoon that we won the football National Championship over Georgia Southern in 1998, we had a home hoops game earlier in the day that we all thought was important. Our Final Four season was still fresh and we had just blown out Boston College the previous week. I remember rushing to our near campus sports bar - Rafters - to get a good spot to watch the football game.

Turns out that the hoops season never did get off the flight deck. I vowed that if we ever got to Chatty again, I would be there. That was a good decision - our joust with App was an outstanding take.

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
As I started looking at it, I thought of them. And to a very minor degree DAVIDSON & Bucknell.

It looks like UMass, Nova & SIU have the best chance of a good year in both at the same time.

DAVIDSON?!! They will NEVER get a football playoff berth, even if they went undefeated, which ain't going to happen anyway. Their "football program" is no different than a D-3 football program.

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
DAVIDSON?!! They will NEVER get a football playoff berth, even if they went undefeated, which ain't going to happen anyway. Their "football program" is no different than a D-3 football program.

I only included them because you originally mentioned FCS teams with hoops success, so I was looking at the 125 FCS teams (no matter how unsucessful) and trying to find out which ones had won a BB tournament game.

I agree they are probably the worst FCS program to win at Hoops. (Valpo?)

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Man, this is one of the most active threads that I have started recently, and is great for my post count. I guess I won't have to worry about qualifying for the poll next season. xcoolx