PDA

View Full Version : CAA facilities

roanokeduke
October 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32335&CHID=3

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Mickey sure has the knack for keeping his foot in his mouth. It's one thing to stick it there occassionally, but he has to move it to brush his teeth.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Mickey sure has the knack for keeping his foot in his mouth. It's one thing to stick it there occassionally, but he has to move it to brush his teeth.

It's pretty much an every day thing. I personally think the atmosphere at Parsons makes it a tougher place to play. I agree that it's not "up to CAA standards" but I don't know if I would want to change it if I were NU.

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I personally think the atmosphere at Parsons makes it a tougher place to play.
You're not alone. The Hens have struggled there for a while and I've always said it's because it's so foreign.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
You're not alone. The Hens have struggled there for a while and I've always said it's because it's so foreign.

I HATE seeing that place listed as a Dukes destination. One thing to play NU at Hburg.........another thing entirely to play them at Parsons. Its like playing against 2 completely different teams.

Dukie95
October 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I don't have my Yankee Conference history books in front of me..but didn't Northeastern join when BU dropped football in the 90s...at about the time JMU joined.

Sure, NU is new to the CAA, but from a football perspective, I'm not sure JMU's really been part of the Yankee/A-10/CAA any longer than NU has.

89Hen
October 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I don't have my Yankee Conference history books in front of me..but didn't Northeastern join when BU dropped football in the 90s...at about the time JMU joined.

Sure, NU is new to the CAA, but from a football perspective, I'm not sure JMU's really been part of the Yankee/A-10/CAA any longer than NU has.
NU joined in 1993, same year as JMU and W&M. BU left after the 1997 season. xpeacex

Pitz
October 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Oddly enough, I have to agree with Mickey on his quote about Northeastern. The place is a joke.

And yes, I agree with those who are saying it's a tough place to play. But so is a gravel parking lot. Just because it's a tough place doesn't mean it's not an eyesore and a slap in the face to the legitimacy of FCS football.

Jackman
October 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I personally think the atmosphere at Parsons makes it a tougher place to play. I agree that it's not "up to CAA standards" but I don't know if I would want to change it if I were NU.
I wouldn't describe Parsons as "tough". It's more of an odd, off-putting place to play. Even with both stands packed, it feels weird, like it's really a scrimmage and it doesn't matter who wins. That's when they beat you.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't describe Parsons as "tough". It's more of an odd, off-putting place to play. Even with both stands packed, it feels weird, like it's really a scrimmage and it doesn't matter who wins. That's when they get you.

xconfusedx If it's harder to "get up" for the game, doesn't that make it "tougher" to win?? xconfusedx

Jackman
October 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Well, normally when a small venue is called tough, it's because it's tight and noisy and the fans are right on top of you. Tiny gyms can be very tough places to play basketball. What Northeastern has is sort of like the equivalent of playing basketball outdoors. Everything's regulation, but it feels weird.

GeeWiz
October 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Mickey needs to worry about JMU.

When he becomes the new CAA commish, then he can do something about NU.

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32335&CHID=3

Already another thread on this, and this article had alredy been posted:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49746&page=18

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
NU joined in 1993, same year as JMU and W&M. BU left after the 1997 season. xpeacex

Yeah, and 15 years ago their facilties sucked. Now 15 years later their facilities still suck. They've done nothing about their horrendous facilities. How long is it going to take? I think the CAA needs to give them an ultimatum and set some minimum standards.

aust42
October 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Well, normally when a small venue is called tough, it's because it's tight and noisy and the fans are right on top of you. Tiny gyms can be very tough places to play basketball. What Northeastern has is sort of like the equivalent of playing basketball outdoors. Everything's regulation, but it feels weird.

Agreed, playing at Northeastern was not tough in the sense it was rowdy and noisy. It was tough as a player to get motivated to play there when you go from playing in front of 15-20k at Delaware stadium to 500-2000k at their pathetic high school facility. It really was like you were stepping back in time and playing a high school game. The college atmosphere was just not there. But when the 1st ball was snapped it didn't really matter.

I never understood how Northeastern ever fielded a competitive team due to their pathetic facilities. Unless they were the only team offering me a scholarship I would never go there as a recruit.

EmeryZach
October 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Mickey Mouse needs to watch his words.

Old Cage
October 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think that for as long as we find NU on our schedule, UMass players and fans will have a different perspective about Parsons than you guys from away.

It is like another home game for us. Last Saturday we represented maybe 3,000+ of the 4,000+ that were there. Our band took up 10% of the seats and did the halftime show. There is no tailgating so the home fans are not oiled, and we have the side with the most seats and you sit where you want. Also, the field is in the EMass area, where most of our alums live. All good.

Our main rivalry with them is hockey, not football. I realize that is another foreign concept. :D

appfan2008
October 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM

very similar to samford's "stadium" asu seemed sluggish due to the lack of excitement and small venue

mainejeff
October 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
When he becomes the new CAA commish, then he can do something about NU.

That's a scary thought! xeekx xeekx xeekx

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
That's a scary thought! xeekx xeekx xeekx

Hey, MM is buds with Cosgrove, so he would probably name Cosgrove Vice Commish!

URMite
October 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think that for as long as we find NU on our schedule, UMass players and fans will have a different perspective about Parsons than you guys from away.

It is like another home game for us. Last Saturday we represented maybe 3,000+ of the 4,000+ that were there. Our band took up 10% of the seats and did the halftime show. There is no tailgating so the home fans are not oiled, and we have the side with the most seats and you sit where you want. Also, the field is in the EMass area, where most of our alums live. All good.

Our main rivalry with them is hockey, not football. I realize that is another foreign concept. :D

What is this alien terminology ....Ha-Kay??? xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

It's a Japanese form of polo played with sticks and a puck.

It's name means - "Cold as F@#$@!"

elcid96
October 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
very similar to samford's "stadium" asu seemed sluggish due to the lack of excitement and small venue

That is hard to believe since they almost had 11000 at the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, and 15 years ago their facilties sucked. Now 15 years later their facilities still suck. They've done nothing about their horrendous facilities. How long is it going to take? I think the CAA needs to give them an ultimatum and set some minimum standards.

I'm not sure why you care so much about Northeastern's stadium situation. Every FCS conference has a school with a stadium that is well below everyone else's. If you want to see bad look at Georgetown's digs. It'll make Parson's look like the Taj Mahal. Both schools are land locked but atleast N'eastern has a place that is still shiny and seats 7k.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure why you care so much about Northeastern's stadium situation. Every FCS conference has a school with a stadium that is well below everyone else's. If you want to see bad look at Georgetown's digs. It'll make Parson's look like the Taj Mahal. Both schools are land locked but atleast N'eastern has a place that is still shiny and seats 7k.

Agreed. It's not like we're on TV every week and have some sort of image to uphold. Save that for FBS. I'm fine with other schools doing their thing. It's one of the things I like about FCS.

Col Hogan
October 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Somebody is doing expectation management...just in case a certain team gets bit in the arse...xlmaox

UDBlueLotFan
October 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Ha-Kay is a communist sport xoopsx xsmiley_wix It ranks right up there with, cough,...cough, Sa-Kar xnodx xlolx

Husky Alum
October 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Easy there UMAsshole...

UMass fans weren't 3,000 of the 4,000 fans there. Y'all were about half - which is what it's always been when NU plays UMass.

There IS tailgating, you just haven't had the privilege of an invite to the Husky Alum pregame festivities. Ask UNHAlum, Dane96, Tribe4SF, and my guests from Cal Davis a few weeks ago. There's always plenty of food and drink to go 'round. You never go away hungry, and if you don't have enough to eat or drink, it's 'cause you didn't ask.

Our fans don't get oiled because our field is in a residential neighborhood, and we don't want to irk the neighbors.

As one Davis Alum said to me when I "apologized" for our fied - "last I checked it was regulation length and width".

W/R/T the side of the stadium you sit on, for the last 15 years we've sat on the side of the stadium the visitors now sit on, and if you checked out the area around the 50, there are still a few hundred of us who still sit on the now visitor's side. It's the side of the field that doesn't get direct sun.

We moved sides this year since 3-4 of our home games are on TV, and with the smaller bleachers on the now home side, it looks like there's more people at the game.

Old Cage
October 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
It is very sad that you can only muster a massive 2,000 fans max (and I seriously doubt that as I was sitting on the 50 on the UMass side and never heard anyone cheering for good old NU) for an in-state conference foe!

Husky Alum
October 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
It is very sad that you can only muster a massive 2,000 fans max (and I seriously doubt that as I was sitting on the 50 on the UMass side and never heard anyone cheering for good old NU) for an in-state conference foe!

Very sad we don't live in the Pioneer Valley and have nothing else to do but go to the booming metropolis of Amherst to watch a football game on a Saturday night.

Unfortunately, our campus is located in the middle of a major US city, and our students have a bazillion other things to do on a Saturday afternoon besides sit in a parking lot and "get oiled" like y'all do in Amherst.

Sad, but true.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
No question, Husky Alum's tailgate is as good as it gets! xnodx Looking forward to another visit to Parsons on Saturday.

I sure don't understand why teams can't get fired up for games at Parsons. Last time I checked, you're playing a CAA league game and nobody with playoff aspirations can usually afford to fall asleep at the wheel and lose a game they're supposed to win. In my book, that alone should be all the motivation needed for the guys on the field. If your team gets lulled into a poor performance and get beat by the Huskies, well you get what you deserved. And shame on the coaching staffs for letting their teams lose focus. That includes my team as we too lost our last game at Parsons.

dennisdent
October 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sad, but true.

That you have to resort to name calling--GROW UP! Me thinks you need to direct your anger towards improving NU's situation...

smcwildcat
October 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I do think NU needs improvement... even though im a UNH fan...but I love going to parsons it pops outta nowhere in the city who cant like that

ccd494
October 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hey, MM is buds with Cosgrove, so he would probably name Cosgrove Vice Commish!

As long as that means he is no longer coaching, I am sold.

Tim James
October 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The New England CAA schools definately have worse football facilities compared to their southern counterparts but I would say the reason for that being that up here in this part of the country education comes first and foremost and stuff like athletics is not the top priority like it is down south.

Cobblestone
October 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The New England CAA schools definately have worse football facilities compared to their southern counterparts but I would say the reason for that being that up here in this part of the country education comes first and foremost and stuff like athletics is not the top priority like it is down south.

In New England college basketball is much bigger than college football; sad but true. Look at most NE schools basketball faciliites compared to their football facilities.

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Oh give me a break with that elitist we care more about education BS.xlolx

Tim James
October 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Oh give me a break with that elitist we care more about education BS.xlolx

Thats not I think, thats how they think. They just dont think spending millions on a football stadium is the most important thing out there. Its way down the list of priorites.

Tim James
October 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
In New England college basketball is much bigger than college football; sad but true. Look at most NE schools basketball faciliites compared to their football facilities.

I think the only D1 school in NE where football is the number 1 sport would be BC. Basketball is number 1 at a lot of schools like URI, UCONN, PC and hockey's number 1 at Maine, UNH, VT, BU, Northeastern.

danefan
October 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Parsons has its "charm". Its small, but not in disrepair. Better then Albany.

Maroon&White
October 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Easy there UMAsshole...

UMass fans weren't 3,000 of the 4,000 fans there. Y'all were about half - which is what it's always been when NU plays UMass.

There IS tailgating, you just haven't had the privilege of an invite to the Husky Alum pregame festivities. Ask UNHAlum, Dane96, Tribe4SF, and my guests from Cal Davis a few weeks ago. There's always plenty of food and drink to go 'round. You never go away hungry, and if you don't have enough to eat or drink, it's 'cause you didn't ask.

Our fans don't get oiled because our field is in a residential neighborhood, and we don't want to irk the neighbors.

As one Davis Alum said to me when I "apologized" for our fied - "last I checked it was regulation length and width".

W/R/T the side of the stadium you sit on, for the last 15 years we've sat on the side of the stadium the visitors now sit on, and if you checked out the area around the 50, there are still a few hundred of us who still sit on the now visitor's side. It's the side of the field that doesn't get direct sun.

We moved sides this year since 3-4 of our home games are on TV, and with the smaller bleachers on the now home side, it looks like there's more people at the game.

Easy there big guy, getting a little testy aren't you. Nice spin you put on NU's situation. ALMOST makes the whole thing sound respectable.

Cobblestone
October 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I think the only D1 school in NE where football is the number 1 sport would be BC. Basketball is number 1 at a lot of schools like URI, UCONN, PC and hockey's number 1 at Maine, UNH, VT, BU, Northeastern.

Very true. For years BC was the only FBS (I-A) team in New England. As much as I dislike UCONN I have to give them credit for building the stadium they did and marketing their program as well as they have. Still though, I don't see their football program ever getting the support the basketball program does.

ur2k
October 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Richmond begs to differ with this post. I think we do both pretty well.

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Easy there big guy, getting a little testy aren't you. Nice spin you put on NU's situation. ALMOST makes the whole thing sound respectable.

Having had the privelege of an invite to HuskyAlum's tailgate, I can vouch for the quality, and quantity of the fare, as well as the same of the ambiance and level of conversation. I attended during a Nor'Easter that was actually washing people away to their deaths, and it was a true oasis.

More than respectable, I had a great time at Parsons. If they build a new stadium, I hope they renovate the old apartment building, and transplant it to the new site.

Maroon&White
October 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
So one person has a good tailgate experience going, big deal. I'd still call that no tailgating going on.

Now that I think of it, that actually makes sense. NU averages what, 10 home fans a game. So if those 10 are all at one tailgate, it makes for great tailgating.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM

What an absurd comment. I'm not getting into one of those 'my school's smarter than your school' conversations, but UR and WM compare VERY favorably to any of the CAA schools north or the Mason Dixon line.

bostonspider
October 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
What an absurd comment. I'm not getting into one of those 'my school's smarter than your school' conversations, but UR and WM compare VERY favorably to any of the CAA schools north or the Mason Dixon line. I would also add that VU, UD and JMU all compare favorably academically with the northern schools.

89Hen
October 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
What an absurd comment. I'm not getting into one of those 'my school's smarter than your school' conversations, but UR and WM compare VERY favorably to any of the CAA schools north or the Mason Dixon line.

I would also add that VU, UD and JMU all compare favorably academically with the northern schools.
*everyone turns to look at Andy and Towson* xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

andy7171
October 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I would also add that VU, UD and JMU all compare favorably academically with the northern schools.

So, uh, what are you guys trying to say?

art vandelay
October 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM

The one exception in the north east is UVM. UVM basketball and hockey games have been sold out for the past five or six years. for some reason Vermonters are not interested in the NBA, NFL, NHL nearly as much as the other north eastern states. why do i share this information? because i think that if UVM starts up football again, as i really think they will, i think they would be able to pack the stadium up in Burlington VT. I can almost promise that the people in Vermont would love this football team and i do not think funding would be a problem. but hey this is just speculation.

mcveyrl
October 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
So, uh, what are you guys trying to say?

See guys, I told you he wouldn't get it.

:p :D

Cobblestone
October 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The one exception in the north east is UVM. UVM basketball and hockey games have been sold out for the past five or six years. for some reason Vermonters are not interested in the NBA, NFL, NHL nearly as much as the other north eastern states. why do i share this information? because i think that if UVM starts up football again, as i really think they will, i think they would be able to pack the stadium up in Burlington VT. I can almost promise that the people in Vermont would love this football team and i do not think funding would be a problem. but hey this is just speculation.

be nice to see. xthumbsupx