PDA

View Full Version : JMU Defense Suffers Blow

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=32295&CHID=3&sub=

JMU starts 2 linebackers in their 8 man front defense. Only 9 listed on roster, 4 are redshirted. Have heard nothing mentioned about pulling a redshirt. With starting captain DJ Brandon out for season, and possibly one of the backups Colin Fitz-Maurice as well, that leaves JMU with potentially only 3 healthy non redshirt LBs not counting any other players moving to LB.

-#47 starter Jamie Veney (listed as 6'3", 215). Is listed as a true freshman, but he's 19 and really more like a 2nd yr college player as he played for a year on Fork Union Military Academy's post graduate team. CN8 broadcasters during the ASU game claimed he ran a 4.4. I don't think he's that fast. Regardless, he has shown flashes of brilliance (and flashes of rookiness) and has future AA and NFL potential.

-#6 Vidal Nelson, r-fr, listed at 5'11", 205, listed 1st 7 games as 2nd team LB, but I believe had been practicing at safety. Article says he's only 190. Regardless, small for an LB. Played last half+ vs UR.

-#33 Reggie Hicks, r-jr, listed 6'0", 205, listed 1st 7 games as 2nd team LB. I think he played some against ASU when DJ Brandon got banged up, and also in mop up duty vs NCCU and Hofstra.

Thats it. As far as those moving to LB or being mentioned as possibly moving to LB.

-#24 starting SS Pat Williams, r-fr, listed 6'1", 205. Articles said he has been moved to LB. This guy flies around and is a hitter, but don't believe has any experience at LB and is on the smallish side for LB.

-Tailback Corwin Acker (listed at 5'10", 200) and fullback Trae Kenney (listed at 6'0, 250) were also mentioned as candidates to move to linebacker. Kenney was recruited by JMU as a backer and started at JMU playing LB, but he beefed up or should I say "rounded out":) quite a bit and was moved to DE and then FB.

So looks like as of now it will be Nelson or Williams. If so JMU will be less experienced, about 25 lbs smaller, but a little faster at LB. Won't be as good against the run (currently 3rd in the CAA), but might be a little better against the pass, (currently 5th in CAA). Upcoming for JMU is the 4th ranked rushing team in the CAA (Nova), the 3rd ranked (W&M), 5th ranked (UD), and last place 12th ranked Towson. The only game where not having DJ Brandon won't hurt much will be Towson, as they have no rushing game to speak of. I expect Nova to come out running right at JMU. Good thing JMU had a bye week to deal with the linebacker situation.

Biggest thing is DJ Brandon was basically JMU's QB so to speak for the front 7.

Hey UD, JMU's backup QB Drew Dudzick is pretty good. Maybe we could trade him to you for one of your starting LBs...xlolx

theasushow
October 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
welp...fighting through adversity is part of trying to win a national championship, very rarely will a team get through a 12-13 game season without an experienced player going down. (i will say that the '06 mountaineers were VERY lucky to win 14 straight and while doing it suffer no real serious setbacks). i guess we will see how jmu responds, im sure landers and company will more than pick up the slack.

SeattleGriz
October 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
welp...fighting through adversity is part of trying to win a national championship, very rarely will a team get through a 12-13 game season without an experienced player going down. (i will say that the '06 mountaineers were VERY lucky to win 14 straight and while doing it suffer no real serious setbacks). i guess we will see how jmu responds, im sure landers and company will more than pick up the slack.

So, that begs the question that has been asked before. Does a team like Appalachian State suffer, injury wise, because they have played 15 games a year for the last three years?

I think it speaks volumes as to how App has been able to win three in a row.

APPStrongNC
October 16th, 2008, 07:19 AM
So, that begs the question that has been asked before. Does a team like Appalachian State suffer, injury wise, because they have played 15 games a year for the last three years?

Good point.

I got behind a car the other day here in rural Western North Carolina. On the back on the car was a GRIZ Paw sticker. You guys got a sweet decal. But it is Awesome fans showing support miles away. It was a NC tag also...
FYI

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
This is how I'm looking at this (maybe too optimistically).

First, he got injured in the first half. The defense was at least still good enough to hold Richmond (a good team) to the point where our offense could keep up with them

Second, there's only one person we can't afford to lose on the team and that's Landers (and even then Dudzik is just unproven, he might be just as good, though I doubt it). If losing any other person means our team is devastated, then we weren't the best team in the country to begin with. MM even pointed out that everybody has to go through this.

HiHiYikas
October 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Tough break for the Dukes. This looks like the kind of team that can adjust, and giving up another touchdown or two (if that even occurs) shouldn't matter down the stretch, since the JMU offense can be so explosive.

It hasn't mattered so much to recent Mounataineer teams if the defense gave up 35 points, because the offense would put 49 on the board. Some of the remaining conference games could be close, but JMU could be one of those 56-28 kinds of teams. Some fans will celebrate the 56, others will whine about giving up the 28.

ASU has played 4 seasons' worth of games in the last 3 years (and is 12-0 in the 'fourth season,' though 9 of the 12 were at home, and the other 3 at a home-away-from home). There's no question that's going to be tough on the players, but I think they've learned how important conditioning and pacing are to make a deep playoff run. I noticed on the Mountaineer Message Board that a lot of ASU fans are annoyed that Coach Moore "calls off the dogs" too early in the game. My guess is that he's figured some things out about being a 16-games-a-year head coach.