PDA

View Full Version : Harvard, Princeton VS USD

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Did I just miss this somehow?

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022807aaa.html

Ky Snyder, USD's Executive Director of Athletics, has also secured contracts for future football contests with Ivy League members Harvard and Princeton. The Toreros will play at Harvard in 2012, and host the Crimson in 2013; and play at Harvard again in 2018, and host in 2019. The Toreros will host Princeton in 2014, and play the Tigers in New Jersey in 2017.

TheValleyRaider
October 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
With their Ivy League OOC games, maybe San Diego is the school the Patriot League is looking at for expansion

Or did I just hijack the thread?... xoopsx xwhistlex

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
With their Ivy League OOC games, maybe San Diego is the school the Patriot League is looking at for expansion

Or did I just hijack the thread?... xoopsx xwhistlex

Some long road trips there. ;)

brownbear
October 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Brown played USD in Providence in 2000, and was slated to play them in San Diego the next year, but since it was scheduled for 9/15/01, it never happened.

bonarae
October 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Finally! We are playing a playoff contender in San Diego at last!

DetroitFlyer
October 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Great PFL / Ivy series! As I have mentioned before, I would like to see more PFL/Ivy/PL teams playing each other home/home. I know that the PFL travel is a big draw for many recruits, and I have to think that PL or Ivy players would look forward to getting out of the northeast every once in a while.... Of course with the national focus on recruiting, playing all over the country provides great exposure....

Note to my Ivy League friends: The PFL sure would like to find another worthy opponent for the Gridiron Classic once the NEC joins the playoffs in 2010.... A single post season bowl game might just be something the Ivy Presidents would be willing to accept.... Maybe play at a neutral, warm weather site? TV contract.... Let's get to work Ivy fans and make it happen!

DetroitFlyer
October 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Finally! We are playing a playoff contender in San Diego at last!

Oh, and by the way.... I agree! Now, just add Dayton to future schedules and you will have it covered! The heck with all of those boring old northeast teams....

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Good idea to broaden the OOC schedule beyond the PL. Should be an interesting matchup with USD. Personally, I'd like to see Harvard bring back UMass and NU.

OL FU
October 16th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Note to my Ivy League friends: The PFL sure would like to find another worthy opponent for the Gridiron Classic once the NEC joins the playoffs in 2010.... A single post season bowl game might just be something the Ivy Presidents would be willing to accept.... Maybe play at a neutral, warm weather site? TV contract.... Let's get to work Ivy fans and make it happen!

One has to wonder if the real reason the Presidents don't want to participate in the playoffs is because they don't consider it to be the highest level of the sport. (cuz they participate in all the other sports). If my conjecture is accurate, I don't think the Gridiron Classic would be any more appealing.

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Oh, and by the way.... I agree! Now, just add Dayton to future schedules and you will have it covered! The heck with all of those boring old northeast teams....

You have a better chance of a pot of gold falling from the sky and landing in your lap then the Ivy's agreeing to such a deal. Ivy teams have turned down real bowl games over the years. You play in the Gridiron classic because you cant make the palyoffs, the Ivies choose not to play in the playoffs. if they started playing post season they would get their automatic bid and start

Go...gate
October 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Did I just miss this somehow?

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022807aaa.html

Ky Snyder, USD's Executive Director of Athletics, has also secured contracts for future football contests with Ivy League members Harvard and Princeton. The Toreros will play at Harvard in 2012, and host the Crimson in 2013; and play at Harvard again in 2018, and host in 2019. The Toreros will host Princeton in 2014, and play the Tigers in New Jersey in 2017.

Nice change of pace for Princeton (as long as they keep playing the Red Raiders, too ;).)

YaleFootballFan
October 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nothing against Albany, but I wish Yale scheduled USD when Army dropped us for 2010.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Different costs than traveling to Drake, Jacksonville, and Dayton?

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Different costs than traveling to Drake, Jacksonville, and Dayton?

Hamilton, Easton, Lewisburg, and Bethlehem. Probably.

Not that I mentioned costs.

Pard4Life
October 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
San Diego would make a perfect Patriot League program to tell you the truth... strong academics and a good athletic program. Too bad they play 3,000 miles away.

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
San Diego would make a perfect Patriot League program to tell you the truth... strong academics and a good athletic program. Too bad they play 3,000 miles away.

Yeah, we are kind of isolated from the schools we have much in common with.

Harvard Worship
October 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Good idea to broaden the OOC schedule beyond the PL. Should be an interesting matchup with USD.

Yeah, should be good. Didn't Yale play them a few years back? I think USD proved a pretty powerful match, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I'd like to see Harvard bring back UMass and NU.

Absolutely. Why'd we stop playing NU? We played them a bunch of years in a row until a couple of years a go. Quite well-attended, naturally.

danefan
October 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, should be good. Didn't Yale play them a few years back? I think USD proved a pretty powerful match, if I remember correctly.

43-17 San Diego over Yale in the Yale Bowl.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2008, 10:48 PM
43-17 San Diego over Yale in the Yale Bowl.

We played USD 4 times, how come this is the only one anyone remembers. :p

Model Citizen
October 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM

2-2, with Yale outscoring us something like 97-80. Pretty even.

Harbaugh arrived after game two. xbowx

Cleets
October 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM
One has to wonder if the real reason the Presidents don't want to participate in the playoffs is because they don't consider it to be the highest level of the sport. (cuz they participate in all the other sports). If my conjecture is accurate, I don't think the Gridiron Classic would be any more appealing.

I believe you are correct sir..
1) It dilutes the power of one particular game (ESPN included) every year..
2) Harvard for sure is not at all interested in being a "football school" all success aside
3) Finally - this whole playoff thing - Complicates a multitude of year end traditions...

xshhhx

bonarae
October 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I wonder if the Presidents would really change their mind and think of the reality that football is a popular sport. Even though in almost every major sport I can think of (basketball, baseball, softball), the Ivies get outmatched by teams coast to coast.

Model Citizen
October 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I believe you are correct sir..
1) It dilutes the power of one particular game (ESPN included) every year..
2) Harvard for sure is not at all interested in being a "football school" all success aside
3) Finally - this whole playoff thing - Complicates a multitude of year end traditions...

You two are on to something, but I'll argue that whereas participation in the NCAA playoffs would essentially endorse the NCAA's forced reclassification, the GC is just a game. xtwocentsx

YaleFootballFan
October 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I remember our 49-14 win over USD in '02 very well. ;)

YaleFootballFan
October 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
2-2, with Yale outscoring us something like 97-80. Pretty even.

Harbaugh arrived after game two. xbowx

Even indeed. Two blowouts and two close games:

1999: 17-6 Yale
2002: 49-14 Yale
2005: 17-14 USD
2006: 43-17 USD