PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Success rates released.

beauvighn
October 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
The NCAA released the GSR figures today. Very interesting numbers.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=38485

jlcharles
October 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
What is the difference between the fed rate and the gsr? How are they computed differently? I didn't see an explanation on the page.

kirkblitz
October 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
2001?!?!?

jlcharles
October 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Probably entering class of 2001, so class of 2005.

bison137
October 14th, 2008, 11:16 PM
1. Graduation Success Rate (GSR) is an NCAA stat. It does not penalize a school for transfers (assuming they are in good academic standing) and it credits a school for incoming transfers who graduate. The federal rate basically measures the percentage of frosh who graduate from their original school.

2. The 2001 cohort is the group that entered in September of 2001. The NCAA, in their stats, gives athletes six years to graduate, so that group needed to graduate by May 2007.

Note that these numbers are for a rolling four-year average.

Eight Legger
October 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM
UR averaged a 94.1 rate across its 14 sports, with an 89 in football.

jus10asu
October 15th, 2008, 07:02 AM
El Cid and Furman are lookin pretty good in football. Both in the 90s

JMU DUUUKES
October 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I think its interesting that its so true how easy it is to get rid of a bad rep once u have it. Miami has finished in the top 10 in graduation rates for the last 10 years apparently. The school proudly displays this on the jumbo tron during games, haha. But they still have the "Thug-U" label while a school like UVA has half their team suspended or arrested and likely will suffer no reputation damage. O well, i suppose the FIU helmet bashing fight didn't help, haha.

appfan2008
October 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
asu is doing pretty well overall IMO not as good as the private schools but hey still not bad

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Football 95 82

I wasn't too happy with our basketball scorexrolleyesx Especially considering we weren't very good. But football xthumbsupx Without being too smarmy, along with winning, this should be the main goal of a college sports programxnodx

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Overall

Football(FBS) 67 55
Football(FCS) 65 54

xeyebrowx I suppose that is not bad. I know when I graduated from Furman the overall freshman class had shrunk by about half. I am sure many of those freshman finished somewhere else. But considering some schools average in the 90's that means there are a lot of schools barely register.

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM
In the Socon, Wofford, FU and The Citadel all 90+ in football xnodx

Chattanooga - 51xsmhx

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I wasn't too happy with our basketball scorexrolleyesx Especially considering we weren't very good. But football xthumbsupx Without being too smarmy, along with winning, this should be the main goal of a college sports programxnodx

OLFU:

Now, sir, you know of course that you are the very picture of smarminess. At least, that has always been my opinion.

What a great word!

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Georgetown earned a 95% ranking, down slightly from 2007.

94Terrier
October 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Wofford had a 97% rate. Go T-Dogs!!

bodoyle
October 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
The thing I don't understand is why is the Fed Rate different when you look at different schools?

CCU's Fed Rate for football is (-) absolutely nothing. Our men's golf has a GSR of 100 and a Fed Rate of 100, but Appy's for example has a GSR of 100 and a Fed Rate of 78. The bride of Chucky has a Fed Rate of 64 and a GSR of 64. How can 3 schools have 3 seperate Federal Rates? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

DetroitFlyer
October 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/genrel/101408aad.html

DAYTON AMONG TOP 10 IN NCAA GRADUATION SUCCESS RATE

Oct. 14, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - The University of Dayton's 96% Graduation Success Rate leads the Atlantic 10 Conference and ties it for 10th in the nation NCAA in the latest breakdown of Division I graduation rate data released on Tuesday.

In addition, this year's GSR Report shows that UD graduated 100 percent of its student-athletes that participated in women's basketball, men's cross country, women's cross country/track & field, men's golf, women's golf, women's rowing, women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and volleyball.

Overall, every Flyer athletics program earned a GSR of 85 or higher. In addition to the ten programs listed above, the football program had a GSR of 95 followed closely by men's soccer (93), baseball (92), softball (92) and men's basketball (89). The UD's men's basketball team's GSR was the best in the A-10.

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 08:33 AM
The thing I don't understand is why is the Fed Rate different when you look at different schools?

CCU's Fed Rate for football is (-) absolutely nothing. Our men's golf has a GSR of 100 and a Fed Rate of 100, but Appy's for example has a GSR of 100 and a Fed Rate of 78. The bride of Chucky has a Fed Rate of 64 and a GSR of 64. How can 3 schools have 3 seperate Federal Rates? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Some schools don't seem to provide the information either notably Harvard and Yale.

GSR I think is entering students that graduate within 6 years from some place not necesarily the school they entered as freshman. Fed rate is graduating from the school they entered. Once again I think that is the answer in a simplified manner.

bison137
October 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Why wouldn't you expect the federal rate to be different for every school since it measures what percentage of entering student-athletes graduate from that school?

It will sometimes be the same as the GSR but will often be lower. It could be higher but that would be very rare.

bison137
October 15th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I think its interesting that its so true how easy it is to get rid of a bad rep once u have it. Miami has finished in the top 10 in graduation rates for the last 10 years apparently. The school proudly displays this on the jumbo tron during games, haha. But they still have the "Thug-U" label while a school like UVA has half their team suspended or arrested and likely will suffer no reputation damage. O well, i suppose the FIU helmet bashing fight didn't help, haha.

Miami's graduation rates for most men's sports are quite poor:

Sport - GSR / Fed Rate

Baseball - 52% / 32%
Basketball - 70% / 44%
Football - 70% / 62%
Tennis - 88% / 50%

Of their men's sports, only swimming and track are respectable.

HiHiYikas
October 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Why would ASU's mens track and cross country teams only graduate 60%? That's one of the lowest totals for the school.

I can understand something like 52% of Miami's baseball team not graduating, but it's not like our guys are getting courted away by Major League Cross Country.

OL FU
October 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Why would ASU's mens track and cross country teams only graduate 60%? That's one of the lowest totals for the school.

I can understand something like 52% of Miami's baseball team not graduating, but it's not like our guys are getting courted away by Major League Cross Country.

Maybe the can't stop running and miss the diploma handoff when they pass the podiumxnodx

jonmac
October 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM

How do they account for student athletes that leave the team? I wonder if this could have anything to do with it. Maybe CC/Track athletes don't participate during their entire college career. Not sure if this would change anything, it just popped into my mind.

bison137
October 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
How do they account for student athletes that leave the team? I wonder if this could have anything to do with it. Maybe CC/Track athletes don't participate during their entire college career. Not sure if this would change anything, it just popped into my mind.

That would not affect the graduation rate. Any athlete who gets any sort of athletic-aid is tracked whether or not they continue the sport.

jonmac
October 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I figured that. What about those that don't receive aid?

terrierbob
October 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Fed rate's 1.5

bison137
October 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I figured that. What about those that don't receive aid?

As I understand it, IF an athlete gets absolutely no aid, then theoretically they should not be counted.