PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Power rankings

Khan4Cats
October 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Figured other conferences have one so...

Four-way tie at the top of 2-1 teams, not much separation yet, but this is how I rank them:

1) Southern Illinois: Have already played UNI and NDSU. 3 road games against teams in the bottom half, home games against WIU and SDSU.

2) Western Illinois: Have the biggest road win at NDSU, only one roadie left (at SIU), plus two weeks off to prepare for UNI (well one, they do have a scrimmage this week against the Trees).

3) South Dakota State: As long as they come out of the Cal-Poly game this week healthy, they should be able to take the next 3 (at Indiana State and home for the Bears and Redbirds) to be 5-1 in-conference heading into the last 2 roadies at SIU and NDSU with something big to play for.

4) Northern Iowa: Host NDSU this week and then on the road for 4 of the last 5 (3 of 4 in-conference). As a homer, I still expect them to run the table this year to finish with at least a tie for the crown. They haven't shown the ability to completely explode on a team, but the defense has been very good and the offense has been efficient, as long as they avoid the turnovers.

5) Illinois State: Have 4 of 6 games left at home. Roads at SDSU and WIU. But after MSU this week, they're against teams picked above them pre-season the rest of the year.

6) North Dakota State: Welcome to Missouri Valley Football! This is much more of a grind than the Great West and it goes on week after week, no real chance to recover. Unfortunately for the Bison, they get UNI as the third of a brutal three-game stretch. It gets easier after that, with trips to the Redbirds, hosting the Trees and then a break before at MSU and home for the Dakota Marker game.

7) Missouri State: Beating YSU puts them a spot above the Penguins. 4 of the last 6 on the road, and home games with SIU and NDSU means I think they will fall behind YSU by seasons' end.

8) Youngstown State: 3 of 5 left at the Ice Castle. Of course, two of those are against SIU and UNI the next two weeks. An off-week prior to the last game at WIU, means the Penguins might have a lot to say about the final standings at the top.

9) Indiana State: The only certain spot in the Valley. I thought about being kind and thinking they can pull a surprise on someone, I just can't see it happening this year. Too much needs to be re-built. Maybe week 13 at home against the Bears, a repeat of their last win?

Killsback
October 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Very good analysis of the Conference. SIU is just now starting to get its act together. I look for the Salukis to win out (homer yes) and get a top four seed in the playoffs. They will struggle against WIU and Missouri State because they always do, but this defense is really starting to come on and play well. The offense continues to get better and the QB, Dieker, is getting more comfortable as each game goes by.

The big win was beating UNI and now the Panthers can virtually end N. Dakota State's season at game 8. Wow!

Thunderstruck84
October 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Good post, I'd put UNI ahead of SDSU for the time being. Shouldn't really matter though as even as this league is and teams like NDSU and SDSU are already in desperation mode which is dangerous for everybody.

UNIFanSince1983
October 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I think UNI could be ranked as high as #2 and not being a homer. They have already beaten SDSU, which puts them ahead of them in my book. And WIU lost to the Jacks, but people are enthralled because they beat the Bison at the FargoDome. Realistically I would have WIU at #4 right now. If they go and beat SIU or UNI they would get higher, but they don't have a resume that lets me put them ahead of us or SDSU who beat them, or even us.

That's the beauty of this conference right now, though, you could put any number of 6 teams at or near the top.

Chi Panther
October 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think UNI could be ranked #1 and not be a homer. We lost at SIU, committing 5 TOs, kickoff return for TD called back....and gave up kickoff return for TD to start game. SIU had 40 yards rushing and 40 yards in second half. We turn ball over less than one minute in FG range for SIU....sad....

We play SIU in playoffs....we win.

Just need to get lucky enough to make playoffs....xthumbsupx

mango43
October 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
It seems about right to me but I would swap UNI and Western Illinois. UNI beat SDSU so they should be ahead of the Jacks but the Jacks beat the Leathernecks so the Jacks should be ahead of WIU. But at the same time WIU has the big road win by going into Fargo and beating the Bison, the top teams are so evenly matched right now.

I wouldn't really say the Jacks are in desperation mode with 3 of their next 4 at home, if they can get through that they would just need to win one against SIU or NDSU.

jmc_jackrabbit
October 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The schedule for SDSU is favorable for a few weeks, but I'd still put UNI above us. We have to go 1-1 in the last two weeks on the road at SIU and NDSU. That's a tall order.

Otherwise, I can't disagree. We beat WIU, but I think they're playing as well as anybody right now. We know firsthand how hard it is to win in Fargo. Ugh.

ysubigred
October 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'd have to rank IN State ahead of YSU right now. I've never seen it this bad in Y-town in my 37 year association with the university.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/oct/15/corsaro-quits-another-one-bites-the-dust/

UNI Pike
October 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'd have to rank IN State ahead of YSU right now. I've never seen it this bad in Y-town in my 37 year association with the university.

I will see your YSU comment, and raise you an IN ST Don't taze me bro (http://media.www.indianastatesman.com/media/storage/paper929/news/2008/10/15/Campus/Qb.Arrested.Suspended.Indefinitely-3487227.shtml) xrulesx

RabidRabbit
October 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The schedule for SDSU is favorable for a few weeks, but I'd still put UNI above us. We have to go 1-1 in the last two weeks on the road at SIU and NDSU. That's a tall order.

Otherwise, I can't disagree. We beat WIU, but I think they're playing as well as anybody right now. We know firsthand how hard it is to win in Fargo. Ugh.

Khan has it pegged well (though I could readily flip UNI/SDSU). WIU deserves credit for accomplishing what none of the pre-season top 6 have accomplished to date, which is winning that road game vs the top six. The downside, is WIU hasn't beaten what is now the top 4, and still have two left, including one away.

SIU knocked off UNI, but still have Western & SDSU, but at home for both games. Salukis should have the inside track.

UNI is done with two of their co-leaders, and have a split. Same for SDSU. Which based on head-to-head, UNI should be above Jacks.

Who would have thought that YSU would be in the throws of chaos like this?

Bison311
October 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Khan has it pegged well (though I could readily flip UNI/SDSU). WIU deserves credit for accomplishing what none of the pre-season top 6 have accomplished to date, which is winning that road game vs the top six. The downside, is WIU hasn't beaten what is now the top 4, and still have two left, including one away.

SIU knocked off UNI, but still have Western & SDSU, but at home for both games. Salukis should have the inside track.

UNI is done with two of their co-leaders, and have a split. Same for SDSU. Which based on head-to-head, UNI should be above Jacks.

Who would have thought that YSU would be in the throws of chaos like this?

The way YSU is going makes NDSU look really bad...xnonono2x

nmatsen
October 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
rank where you want, no homer here.

UNI WILL WIN THE MVC AUTO BID.

GradBison
October 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Pretty good analysis, you can swap any of the top 4, I'm really loving the MVFC!

I'm looking for my Bison to pull out the win at UNI and throw the conference in even a bigger frenzy. The Bison have not played to their full potential in a single complete game yet, I'm not sure if that would happen this season. The pieces for success are there, if they pull their shat together, watch out!

Jacked_Rabbit
October 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I think the Bison win at UNI this weekend as well.. They are used to playing on that carpet and need this win more than UNI does.. Things will get even tighter at the top after NDSU shocks UNI!

Go Bison
October 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think the Bison win at UNI this weekend as well.. They are used to playing on that carpet and need this win more than UNI does.. Things will get even tighter at the top after NDSU shocks UNI!

xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx

I hope you are right.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
xdizzyx

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
rank where you want, no homer here.

UNI WILL WIN THE MVC AUTO BID.
Someone has to beat SIU for that to happen (assuming you win out). Your fate is not truly in your own hands.

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Not really. I think your fourth string QB can beat their second string QB.

MSUBear42
October 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Someone has to beat SIU for that to happen (assuming you win out). Your fate is not truly in your own hands.
We'll take care of that on the 25th xlolx

BearsCountry
October 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
We'll take care of that on the 25th xlolx

Knowing our luck we will beat UNI, SIU, and NDSU and then lose to Indiana State. :)

unipanthers8907
October 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
For the most part, I agree with Khan's Rankings, I could see swapping UNI and SDSU, but other than that I think they look good.

MSUfan2010
October 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
HUGE WIN today for the MSU Bears. We are definitely a player in the Valley race this year.

Bears 34
Birds 28

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM
HUGE WIN today for the MSU Bears. We are definitely a player in the Valley race this year.

Bears 34
Birds 28
We'll find out next week. Nice win today.

Appstate29
October 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM

You were right.

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm not ranking Indy State ahead of anybody until they actually win a game.

igo4uni
October 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm not ranking Indy State ahead of anybody until they actually win a game.

it could be years before the trees get a w.

UNI Pike
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Prairie View State