PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre story at Holy Cross

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Sorry, if someone already posted this

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081013/NEWS/810130457/1116

WORCESTER— A College of the Holy Cross football player is accused of attacking his teammate yesterday morning inside a City View Street three-decker where members of the team were celebrating their Saturday win over Brown University. But the Holy Cross football coach said yesterday the charge is not true. Michael McCabe, a 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive lineman from Watertown, Conn., allegedly attacked teammate Luke Chmielinski leaving the wide receiver bleeding from the back and chest sometime before 2 a.m. yesterday, police said.

Go...gate
October 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
This is discussed at length on the VoyForums Holy Cross Board.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
so true or false?

UNHWildCats
October 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
so true or false?
the coach says its "inaccurate"

Syntax Error
October 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM
the crossports board has a bunch of info and many many links for further info...
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=33744&threadid=1945315

Minuteman87
October 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like Chmielinski was putting the moves on McCabe's sister, or maybe said something inappropriate to her. Can't say I agree with Gilmore though. He says the police report is "inaccurate" then says he doesn't know all the details. He can't have it both ways. When's the arraignment? We'll see what happens. Best of luck Crusaders.

crusader11
October 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Here is the latest:

http://www.telegram.com/article/200...ERT01/810140282

carney2
October 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM

And the good folks at Colgate said that Jordan Scott and his friend were merely tandem sleepwalking and got disoriented.

KAUMASS
October 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sounds more like a story out of UMass.. are they sure it wasn't a bizarro world episode like they had in Seinfeld? Beer, Beer & more Beer. Nothing like playing a game and dropping 10-15 pounds in water weight and they hydrating yourself with beer....assuming alcohol was involved in this scenario.

Go...gate
October 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
And the good folks at Colgate said that Jordan Scott and his friend were merely tandem sleepwalking and got disoriented.

When I read your post and saw Art Carney's picture, I could not help thinking of Ed Norton's sleepwalking episodes on The Honeymooners. xlolx

Cobblestone
October 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey, not all teammates like each other. Granted, this is an unfortunate incident but I played with a few guys I hated and vice-versa. However, I never felt the urge or desire to freakin' stab one of them. Still, you should put your personal differences aside and work together as a team. But guys in their 20's sometimes think with the wrong head. Chances are there was plenty of bad blood between these two to begin with and it hit its boiling point with alcohol being involved.

I find this to be the most interesting part of the entire incident:

Another man, identified as Stephen Kiely, a Boston College High School social studies teacher, was arrested in connection with the fight.

Safe bet that this guy can kiss his career goodbye.

carney2
October 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
When I read your post and saw Art Carney's picture, I could not help thinking of Ed Norton's sleepwalking episodes on The Honeymooners. xlolx

Great stuff, wasn't it? I've seen some of those "original 39" episodes like a thousand times. I say the line before Norton says it, and I still fall on the floor laughing when it happens.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM

So coach lied?

NoCoDanny
October 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
No knives involved? This is lightweight stuff.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
The story is pretty much just a sad incident - something that could pretty much happen on any college campus in America, basically. The problem, though, is the fact that it came at Holy Cross - a school with a town-gown problem as it is - and it came from the football team, who still is (why?) terrified of becoming a big-time athletics program with no principles.

Even though the facts are still not all out on this - though the latest news seems to point to an accident and not a stabbing - it's the reputation to the football team that may unjustly take a hit. Hopefully not.

Gilmore probably could have handled the situation a little better, but it's hard to see what else he could have done or said - he suspended the players pending the investigation.

Go...gate
October 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I could not help noticing that Crosssports (on VoyForums) deleted all threads related to this. ESPN picked it up the story earlier today.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I weigh in...

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/10/threatt-trying-out-for-soul-and.html