PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette-Liberty

Pages : [1] 2

KAUMASS
October 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Should be a great game-Any tube coverage?

This should be a great test for Liberty and Lafayette. Lafayette may be the underdog on paper, but I would be nervous about this game if I was Liberty. Liberty has 2 decent wins over Youngstown and Coastal Carolina, by 3 points a piece. The beat up on two D2 schools as well. This game goes down to the wire, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lafayette get the 'W" in this one.

If Liberty wins, it will validate their rankings for me until they play Gardner-Webb, who gave Georgia Tech all they could handle last Saturday.
If Lafayette wins, are they the front runner this year in the PL title race as it is wide open with talented HC, Colgate and Lehigh clubs?

Please discuss.

Go...gate
October 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think Lafayette has a solid chance in this one because they don't make a habit of beating themselves. They can run the ball and their defense has looked fairly strong.

carney2
October 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
The Lafayette offense has out and out sukked the last 10 quarters. They need to rediscover life on this side of the ball to have a chance.

Go...gate
October 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
The Lafayette offense has out and out sukked the last 10 quarters. They need to rediscover life on this side of the ball to have a chance.

I'm thinking Tavani will address that....

jcmanson
October 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
It seems like every game has been a "prove it" type game for LU this year.

danefan
October 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
It seems like every game has been a "prove it" type game for LU this year.

Liberty is in a non-AQ conference. That's life in the FCS.

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
A win is not a remote possibility for the Pards... as carney said, our offense has been AWOL the past few quarters. The line needs to constantly execute their assignments and Curley needs to be more relaxed and make accurate throws.... and be given a little more time in the pocket.

What can we see from Liberty's defense? What has been their core strength?

Big picture wise, this game could go a long way towards deciding an auto-berth for both teams if such a situation arises. However a win is more important for Liberty... they have no AQ, of course...

KAUMASS
October 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Liberty is in a non-AQ conference. That's life in the FCS.

That's why I am excited to see what Liberty has as a potential at large pick this year!! I believe the Big South has an AQ starting in 2010.

danefan
October 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
That's why I am excited to see what Liberty has as a potential at large pick this year!! I believe the Big South has an AQ starting in 2010.

Yes, in 2010. That assumes the PL doesn't steal anyone come June (VMI......)xeekx xeekx xeekx

mw2
October 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM
The game will be broadcast live Sat. at 3:30 on MASN (Directv 640 and Dish Network 432)

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, in 2010. That assumes the PL doesn't steal anyone come June (VMI......)xeekx xeekx xeekx

What do you think the odds are of that happening? I assume you are refering to the quotes recently made by the PL executive Carolyn Femovich...

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The game will be broadcast live Sat. at 3:30 on MASN (Directv 640 and Dish Network 432)

O no so I won't get it on ServiceEletric...I might have to come home

Libertine
October 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Its also going to be on FamilyNet (don't know the channel for direct) and Locally on FTN

LUfilmguy
October 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
It will also Air on Family net(don't know the Channel for direct TV.) and Locally on FTN

SuperJon
October 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Family Net isn't available on satellite. It's only available on cable.

danefan
October 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What do you think the odds are of that happening? I assume you are refering to the quotes recently made by the PL executive Carolyn Femovich...

Who knows really. VMI fits with everything and they (IMO) wouldn't really be hurt by adjusting their aid philosophy.

They fit as an all sports member with Army and Navy.
They aren't horrendously off, geographically speaking. They don't really extend the conference that much.

And what real incentive do they have to stay in the Big South? They can go to the PL and have a better chance at the playoffs right away.

Anyway, different thread I guess. And I don't mean to hijack this one. Sorry if it happens.

ngineer
October 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I think this will be a close game and give edge to Liberty on home field advantage (3 points to the home team). Pards defense is very good; though they are struggling offensively at present, somewhat due to injuries. I view this at anyone's game, but Liberty has a lot more riding on the outcome.

KAUMASS
October 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I think this will be a close game and give edge to Liberty on home field advantage (3 points to the home team). Pards defense is very good; though they are struggling offensively at present, somewhat due to injuries. I view this at anyone's game, but Liberty has a lot more riding on the outcome.

I agree it's a bigger game for Liberty as they have no AQ. Lafayette can lose this game and still win the PL AQ. Lafayette always seems to rise to the occasion and play well in big games. They played UMass and App. ST tough in the playoffs in recent memories. Maybe this is the challange that Lafayette's offense needs to get going.

Good luck to both teams. Psyched that it is on MASN, although it is the same slot as the UMass/Richmond game on CN8. I'll catch some of it anyhow...

carney2
October 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Who knows really. VMI fits with everything and they (IMO) wouldn't really be hurt by adjusting their aid philosophy.

They fit as an all sports member with Army and Navy.
They aren't horrendously off, geographically speaking. They don't really extend the conference that much.

And what real incentive do they have to stay in the Big South? They can go to the PL and have a better chance at the playoffs right away.

Anyway, different thread I guess. And I don't mean to hijack this one. Sorry if it happens.

I also don't want to go here, but...

1. As stated, VMI would love to have an association with Army and Navy.

But

2. I disagree that this somehow works geographically. Lexington is way down there. Those cross country, golf, track, soccer trips to Worcester, MA, Hamilton, NY and even West Point will be budget busters. Annapolis might be the only trek that doesn't require an overnight. IMO, there would have to be an indication of additional southern presence for this to work any better than Davidson did back in the early days.

CCU97
October 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm interested to see how Lafayette handles Jennings...he's a beast of a RB and Smith is a pretty good QB with decent WRs. If they stack the line to stop Jennings then Smith will tear them up with short passes all game long....Liberty has a strong D against the run so Lafayette will have to beat them in the air. Should be a good game but I pick Liberty by 10 at home.

carney2
October 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm interested to see how Lafayette handles Jennings...he's a beast of a RB and Smith is a pretty good QB with decent WRs. If they stack the line to stop Jennings then Smith will tear them up with short passes all game long....Liberty has a strong D against the run so Lafayette will have to beat them in the air. Should be a good game but I pick Liberty by 10 at home.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. IMO Jennings may be better than Colgate's Jordan Scott. He is a transfer from Pittsburgh and, as I recall, his transfer was not due to lack of playing time, but was for personal reasons. Liberty does not run an all Jennings all the time offense as Colgate does with Scott, so Jennings' stats aren't Jordan-esque.

On the other side of the ball, I think you can count on Frank Tavani and his offensive coordinator, Bob Hefner, pounding their heads against that strong run "D" more often than is warranted. These Leopards do not change their spots. At this point, and in their defense, I can't be sure how much of this is due to a lack of total trust in a QB who has not exactly lit it up so far this year.

ToTheLeft
October 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Rashad transfered for personal reasons. He was a legit player as a Freshman at Pitt.

Seawolf97
October 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I think Liberty needs this game to keep their playoff hopes alive. They really need need to run the table with maybe a loss to Elon to have shot. They are solid and I expect to see them win a close one.

SuperJon
October 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
First off, let me preface this by saying I am in no way, shape, or form predicting this.

What does it do in the minds of other people if Liberty comes out and wins this game by 14+? Lafayette has the #1 scoring defense in the country. Do you give Liberty credit for beating a good team with a very good defense or will people criticize Lafayette for not being as good as expected?

danefan
October 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
First off, let me preface this by saying I am in no way, shape, or form predicting this.

What does it do in the minds of other people if Liberty comes out and wins this game by 14+? Lafayette has the #1 scoring defense in the country. Do you give Liberty credit for beating a good team with a very good defense or will people criticize Lafayette for not being as good as expected?

Seeing as the PL appears to be down this year, I think Liberty has to beat Lafayette by more then 14 to move up.

I don't think you move down at all, but a close win does nothing for you, IMO.

Lafayette has no quality wins and a 2 TD loss to Harvard. Not exactly a powerhouse team.

Stats mean nothing to me when the competition that team plays isn't great.

Go...gate
October 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Jennings sounds like a fine back but I think Lafayette will be in it all the way.

65 Pard
October 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM
We have to hope that the coaches have done their job well and the team is mentally ready....if so, this could be very much like the game at Richmond a few years ago....a low scoring Leopard win....

carney2
October 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Tavani is the wild card in all of this. He is a master motivator and had his troops flying high for those two wins over Richmond a few years ago. Since then however, there have been multiple Patriot League championships and multiple playoff appearances, so his task may be a little more difficult in that he's not flying under the radar so much.

With all of those CAA and SoCon teams playing "tough" schedules and feeling deserving, my feeling has always been that Liberty can only afford one loss to the 3 "name" teams on their schedule (YSU, Lafayette and Elon), and must otherwise run the table to guarantee themselves a place at the table in November. This is therefore a big game for them and they will also be motivated.

As I said in the Patriot League prediction thread, Lafayette needs to find its missing offense. If they stay in that "we're oh so close" zone where Tavani thinks they are, this one could really be ugly and 14 points won't begin to define the difference. Frank says it's not one or two guys; it's the little things and everyone is contributing. Case in point: last week against Columbia Shaun Adair, a senior and one of the better kick returners around, fielded a punt on his own 1. It caused more than one of us to ask if someone took his SATs for him.xnonox On the other hand we have that 1st 30 minutes against Penn when the Pards just blew away a pretty decent team on both sides of the ball.*

*In the 2nd half - and in my opinion - Tavani played both a prevent defense and a prevent offense, playing not to lose. We all know what happens when you stop doing what you're doing well and just pray for the clock to move.

LCFan21
October 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM
He is a master motivator and had his troops flying high for those two wins over Richmond a few years ago.

I don't want to burst any bubbles here BUT.......the most recent win vs. Richmond was 7-0 - one of ugliest offensive games on both sides of the ball I have seen at the college level - after the game Richmond changed QB's then won out the entire rest of the season including a win in the playoffs. I did not get a chance to see the other win down in Richmond but from what I understand they did not have a very good season that year. Other then that 7-0 win LC has not been able to beat an OOC opponent with a winning record. Liberty is 6-0 - Lafayette is 4-1 with ZERO quality wins this season. Harvard is the only quality team they have played and our defense gotten eaten up in the first half and shut them down in the second. I would say Liberty will give us a more true reading on just how good our D is (not sure how injuries will play a role this week).

History is not on our side in these games but hoping our guys play a solid game on both sides of the ball and get into league play healthy.

ToTheLeft
October 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I think that the main matchup here is YOUR offense versus OUR defense. Our D has been lackluster at best most of this year, allowing a ton of yards from Y'Town and Coastal. We know the strengths of both teams, let's see how the weaknesses match up.

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Pards have problems with teams with outstanding running backs and their twin cousin.. a strong offensive line. I don't think we have ever stopped a team that has had such a combo in recent years... Scott, Branch, Dawson, Cheng Ho (not a star, but he looked like one), Sandberg with Penn, Cuff with Delaware, the UMass back in 06... And if the team has an accurate quarterback, our predicament is worse.

Liberty seems to have the stud RB, strong OL, good QB combination... so I am projecting a loss, maybe a big one, for the Pards. On the other hand, Tavani and company are always motivated for big games... so it might be a close game.

And yes I really don't think our defense is tested, though it looks great on the field. Like I've alluded to, any well balanced team from the past... Colgate, Fordham, Harvard, Penn.. has lit us up..

The real game is Lafayette O vs. Liberty D, as someone here said...

Pard94
October 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Coach Tavani is on the record saying that Lafayette will treat this like a "bowl game" the closest thing we have to a bowl game on our schedule is Lehigh. And while we have dominated Lehigh as of late, we do have a couple of wins in our not too distant past where we were decided underdogs on paper. Those games were marked by Lafayette pulling out every conceiveable stop. Aggressive play-calling on both sides of the ball including trick plays seemingly made up that week in practice to keep the opposing defense on their toes. If we are going to have any chance Tavani needs to absolutely play this game to WIN and not simply to avoid losing. In other words he's going to be so creative and aggressive that we will either win a close game or we will get blown out because Liberty won't fall for any of it. I'm happy to hear that LU's defense is suspect but that only works in our favor if Tavani steers away from his 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. We're not built for that this year...particularly against quality opponents. I hope he lerarned that lesson in the Harvard game. That being said, Carney rightly points out that this coaching staff is really heistant to move away from its philosophy. Should make for an interesting couple of hours on Saturday!

LCFan21
October 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm happy to hear that LU's defense is suspect but that only works in our favor if Tavani steers away from his 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. We're not built for that this year...particularly against quality opponents. I hope he lerarned that lesson in the Harvard game. That being said, Carney rightly points out that this coaching staff is really heistant to move away from its philosophy. Should make for an interesting couple of hours on Saturday!

Well said 94! In this offseason we talked about making adjustments on that side of the ball when needed. Up to this point I have to say it has not come quick enough. Let's see how it goes with Heff coming down to the side lines this week and Fein moving up stairs - makes more sense to me as well and a good move - hope it pays off. We are running out of time.

carney2
October 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
This is really not a difficult game to handicap. Liberty will score into the 30s (almost a given), maybe the 40s. Lafayette will make it competitive or a rout depending on how many they score. The more the Leopards score, the closer the game, AND the less time the Liberty offense has on the field.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Let me add to this:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-joe-the-plumber-effect&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Lafayette at No. 14 Liberty. Every eye in the Big South and the Patriot League is on this game. The Flames, who have cruised through the early part of their schedule (including wins over Youngstown State and Western Carolina), are undefeated behnd the steadfast running of runningback Rashad Jennings (725 yards, 10 TDs). But they don’t face off against any defense: the Leopards are only allowing a paltry 76.8 rushing yards per game behind the strong front seven, led by linebacker Andy Romans. A win by the Flames and they go 7-0, and barring a severe misstep in league play they seem destined for an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs. A Lafayette win, and the Patriot League gets a huge shot in the arm - and big out-of-conference win - before heading into league play. The Leopard defense will do the job, but it’s the struggling Lafayette offense - who will severely miss runningback Maurice White, out with an injury - that will betray them at Williams stadium.
Heck Fire 23, Romans’ Not On a Holiday 10

As a Patriot League fan, I would LOVE to see Lafayette pull this one out, but just as I predicted with Lehigh up at Harvard, I just don't see it.

I am very, very glad this is going to be on MASN, though. I have a serious date with the couch this weekend (Lehigh at Harvard, 12:30, Channel 69; 3:30, Lafayette at Liberty, FamilyNet.) xthumbsupx

SuperJon
October 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Lafayette's team made the trip down safely. They're here in Lynchburg already.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Let me add to this:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-joe-the-plumber-effect&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

As a Patriot League fan, I would LOVE to see Lafayette pull this one out, but just as I predicted with Lehigh up at Harvard, I just don't see it.

I am very, very glad this is going to be on MASN, though. I have a serious date with the couch this weekend (Lehigh at Harvard, 12:30, Channel 69; 3:30, Lafayette at Liberty, FamilyNet.) xthumbsupx

Nice Lehigh is on 69. I get Direct TV so despite living about 15 miles from Lafayete and about 3 miles from Lehigh I dont get the games on TV unless they are on 69. Makes me rather annoyed xmadx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Nice Lehigh is on 69. I get Direct TV so despite living about 15 miles from Lafayete and about 3 miles from Lehigh I dont get the games on TV unless they are on 69. Makes me rather annoyed xmadx

Channel 69 is the one good thing about Lehigh playing those long road games. Did I mention I recently switched TV companies - and I found out I no longer got WBPH-60? xmadx

The only time I get Lafayette games is this one (on FamilyNet) and when they show up on FCS Atlantic (which I pay for). The deal I have now - barely - is better than my old deal with 100% of the Laf games and only the Channel 69 ones.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Channel 69 is the one good thing about Lehigh playing those long road games. Did I mention I recently switched TV companies - and I found out I no longer got WBPH-60? xmadx

The only time I get Lafayette games is this one (on FamilyNet) and when they show up on FCS Atlantic (which I pay for). The deal I have now - barely - is better than my old deal with 100% of the Laf games and only the Channel 69 ones.

I believe all Lehigh games not on 69 are on Service Electric TV2. So in the Valley if you get Service Electric Cable you get all Lehigh games. All Lafayette games are on RCN-4. So depending on what cable company you have you get one or the other. When I lived outside Philly I got all Lafayette games on channel 60 as you note-- how strange the whole situation is. Also it appears I dont get FamilyNet on Direct TV, but I get a freaking channel that has Mormon church services and Horse riding competitions. xeyebrowx

Question with Direct TV. I have heard conflicting stories. If I get the Fox sports network subscrpition do I get all FSN's throughout the country or just my local FSN. I have heard both scanario's. If its nationwide thats a great deal as their is a tremendous amount of FCS football on the FSN affiliates.

LehighFan11
October 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I believe all Lehigh games not on 69 are on Service Electric TV2. So in the Valley if you get Service Electric Cable you get all Lehigh games. All Lafayette games are on RCN-4. So depending on what cable company you have you get one or the other. When I lived outside Philly I got all Lafayette games on channel 60 as you note-- how strange the whole situation is. Also it appears I dont get FamilyNet on Direct TV, but I get a freaking channel that has Mormon church services and Horse riding competitions. xeyebrowx

Question with Direct TV. I have heard conflicting stories. If I get the Fox sports network subscrpition do I get all FSN's throughout the country or just my local FSN. I have heard both scanario's. If its nationwide thats a great deal as their is a tremendous amount of FCS football on the FSN affiliates.

I have Direct Tv at home and subscribe to the sports package. I get all (or atleast most of) the FSN's. You usually can get a few extra games, but most of them show the same Big 12 or Pac 10 game.

chantman
October 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Liberty is very balanced. Go Flames!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have Direct Tv at home and subscribe to the sports package. I get all (or atleast most of) the FSN's. You usually can get a few extra games, but most of them show the same Big 12 or Pac 10 game.

I only get 3 - FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, and FCS Pacific, though more often than not they always carry the FCS games that matter. Last week I only missed Robert Morris/Duquesne, and that was because Fordham at Lehigh took precedence (:D )

The best part of the FCS channels is that they replay the games often enough so you can get them on the rebound if you miss them, like at 3AM. That's how I caught all 5 games last week (yes, even Indiana State/SIU :D ).

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks Ive been meaning to call Direct TV but its impossible to get an english speaker and they are so pushy with trying to upsell its not much fun talking to them.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Figured I'd make this a game thread, as I didn't see one...

Liberty holds Lafayette on their first possession, but muffs the punt. Lafayette recovers and is down to the Liberty 7, 3rd and 1.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Leopards get the first down, and then a 6 yard TD run for Morrow. 7-0 Lafayette, 1st Q. Time to see the Liberty O vs. the Lafayette D.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Liberty starts with it on their own 36...Jennings gets 4 on first down...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Liberty scores a 60 yd. TD on a swing pass...a good combination of blocking and speed.

Tied at 7, 7:21 left in the 1st

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think a shootout would be serious trouble for the Leopards.

Penalty on LC kills a good return, and Lafayette will start at their own 14.

Coastal89
October 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-liberty.html

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Lafayette moves the chains once, but the Flames take over at their own 34.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
3 and out for LU, and Shaun Adair returns the punt all the way back to the LU 13. He went for about 60 yards.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
TD Lafayette!

Morrow's got another TD. This time 13 yards on first down!

Lafayette 14
Liberty 7

2:02 left, 1st

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Penalty brings back a nice return for Liberty this time. LU begins their drive on their own 29.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Flames convert 3rd and long to get out to their 41...

Jennings gets a yard on 1st down...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Pass complete to the Lafayette 44.

End of the 1st:
Lafayette 14
Liberty 7

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Nice to see we are moving the ball--but can we stop Liberty???

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nice to see we are moving the ball--but can we stop Liberty???

I think the D has looked pretty good, except for the big play on the TD. They need to get more pressure on the QB though, he's had too much time.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Another Flame first down at the Lafayette 32...

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think the D has looked pretty good, except for the big play on the TD. They need to get more pressure on the QB though, he's had too much time.

Ya, we havent got at ton of pass rush from our d-line all year unfortunantly. We have had to blitz to get pressue.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ya, we havent got at ton of pass rush from our d-line all year unfortunantly. We have had to blitz to get pressue.

Right, which of course will leae those swings/screens open for Liberty...

Big stop there for Lafayette...4th and 7 now...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Liberty misses a 41 yarder into a strong wind. Just a bit short. Still 14-7 Leopards.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Adair with another great play...pass play for 22 yards...incomplete on the ensuing first down. Lafayette near midfield, 2nd and 10

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Timeout, Lafayette...

It'll be 3rd and 7 on the LU 46 when they resume.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Curley to Adair for another one...down to the LU 27, 10 and change to go in the half...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
End around for another first down, ball at the 17

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Screen to Morrow loses a few yards...and he's injured...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Gotta actually pull for the 'Pards in this one. Can't root for Liberty on matter of principle.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Morrow is helped off, looks like a knee injury. Here's hoping that it's nothing serious...

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Gotta actually pull for the 'Pards in this one. Can't root for Liberty on matter of principle.

Thanks-- Morrow is now injured, our TB's are dropping like flies

LeopardFan04
Coon gets about 7 there...3rd and 8 for Lafayette at the 15

LeopardFan04
Adair is ridiculous...hangs on to another one...1st and Goal at the 3!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks-- Morrow is now injured, our TB's are dropping like flies

Don't blame me. They must have put some crazy prayer curse on you guys.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
TD Leopards!

Joe Russo with a 3 yard rushing TD! His first of the year!

Lafayette 21
Liberty 7

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Don't blame me. They must have put some crazy prayer curse on you guys.

Haha--- another tough one for the hawks today. You guys played Harvard closer then we did.

th0m
October 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Two schools initials both being LU, this is confusing! I thought Liberty was driving, but turns out Lafayette is! GO Pards!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Two schools initials both being LU, this is confusing! I thought Liberty was driving, but turns out Lafayette is! GO Pards!

Lafayette is a college. It's LC.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Liberty brings the kickoff out of the endzone...tackle made at the 13...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Haha--- another tough one for the hawks today. You guys played Harvard closer then we did.

Lehigh is a very talented team that has completely lost their ability to win close games.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
6 yards on 2nd down...3rd and about 4 for the Flames...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Big play for the Flames out to the 39, 21 yard gain...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Holding on LU, 1st and 20 on the 29...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Jennings gets about 12 on a screen...

On 2nd and 8, Jennings runs 59 yards for a TD...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
21-14 Lafayette

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Lafayette begins their drive at the own 38.

YaleFootballFan
October 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Go Lafayette! xthumbsupx

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Adair gets 12 more...1st and 10 at Midfield

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Right Ankle Sprain for Morrow...will be evaluated at halftime...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Freshman Jerome Rudolph? gets 2 carries...

3rd and 9 for Lafayette near midfield...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Pass broken up...Lafayette will have to punt...

4:27 to go in the half...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Fair Catch by Liberty...1st and 10 on the LU 18...4:18 to go in the half

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
1st down yields little for the Flames...2nd and 10

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Incomplete...sets up 3rd and 9, 3:36 to go...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Another incomplete...Liberty will punt...Leopards will have plenty of time, and should get good field position...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
A great punt into the wind and a Lafayette penalty combine to give Lafayette poorer field position...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
TV signal is down, and the Liberty feed on Channel Surfing appears to be as well!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
TV is back, but it's not the LSN broadcast, they've tapped into Liberty's feed.

2nd and 3 at midfield...completed to the Liberty 42...1:14 to go

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Incomplete pass...2nd and 10 to come...1:08 to go

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Measurement...

1st down Lafayette at the LU 31...

1 min to go

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Incomplete pass...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Lafayette inside the 20...incomplete pass...stops the clock with 22.9 seconds left on the clock...

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Lafayette inside the 20...incomplete pass...stops the clock with 22.9 seconds left on the clock...

a 7 or even 3 before the half ends will be critical

Pard94
Incomplete pass...

How/where are you watching it with the video feed out????

LeopardFan04
Outstanding catch by Tim Watson for another Leopard TD!

Great job today by the Leopards...17 seconds to go...

Lafayette 28
Liberty 14

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
LSN Feed down! Are you kidding me! Why this game!!!!!

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Outstanding catch by Tim Watson for another Leopard TD!

Great job today by the Leopards...17 seconds to go...

Lafayette 28
Liberty 14

Sweet xthumbsupx

Andy
We All-Access customers are SOL. Pls keep the updates coming, Tanks.

LeopardFan04
How/where are you watching it with the video feed out????

I'm watching on TV on WBPH-60 outside of Philly...the LSN feed dropped out, and now it's the Liberty feed...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Half ends...

Lafayette 28, Liberty 14

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Meanwhile, the sideline reporter on Liberty's broadcast is pretty cute!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'll try to keep things up to date...

Here's the link for the Liberty stats page too:

http://www.libertyflames.com/football/xlive.htm

Andy
October 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Meanwhile, the sideline reporter on Liberty's broadcast is pretty cute!

You really know how to hurt a guy...

LCFan21
Great first half! Guys I can see why we get so frustrated - look at the potential this group has - regardless of how this one turns out I hope these guys build on this together as a team and move forward every game from here on out.

Pard94
Damn it! Lafayette looks as good as they've looked all year and most of last and the feed goes down! Perfect.xmadx

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
You really know how to hurt a guy...

Do you think she'd be interested in a Jewish Yankee? xconfusedx :D

LCFan21
I'll try to keep things up to date...

Here's the link for the Liberty stats page too:

http://www.libertyflames.com/football/xlive.htm

Good link for play by play - thank you!

Pard94
Great first half! Guys I can see why we get so frustrated - look at the potential this group has - regardless of how this one turns out I hope these guys build on this together as a team and move forward every game from here on out.

To hell with that! Let's see if this group is capable of putting their foot on Liberty's jugular and close this one out with authority. THAT would be something to build on! I'm so excited I may wet myself. Where is the video!!!!???

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, not sure what happened with the LSN feed...right now a couple Liberty players are explaining pass protection to the sideline reporter on a taped bit during the halftime show...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't have All-Access since I get the games on cable...but it must be a broadcast problem, since they've switched to the FTN broadcast now...

I guess they can't stream that to you guys...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
It'd be nice to see our defense come right out and get a stop right off the bat...

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Lafayett Liberty
1st downs 15 6
Rush yards 82 69
Pass yards 167 133
Total offense 249 202
Penalties 3-25 2-20
Turnovers 0 1

Andy
October 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Do you think she'd be interested in a Jewish Yankee? xconfusedx :D

LOL Gotta admit you're facing long odds there.

Lots of freshmen participation today--Stripe, Rudolph, Simmons, Butler. Any others? Good to have Paulson and Luke back.

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Great job by the coaches to work new faces in before league play starts

Andy
October 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
WE'RE BACK in time for 2nd half! Go Pards!

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Lafayette
## Player Tack Sack TFL Int BrUp QBH Blck
17 Romans, Andy 5 . 1.0 . . . .
49 Leggiero, Mark 5 . . . . . .
39 Simmons, Kyle 2 . . . . . .
33 Oliver, Nick 2 . 1.0 . . . .
26 Bryant, Nigel 2 . . . . .

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Big hit by Romans on 2nd down...3rd and long for Liberty...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Leopards hold...4th down for LU...they'll have to punt after moving the sticks once...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Romans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Romans blocks the punt, scoops it up and scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35-14!!

Pard94
October 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Romans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Romans blocks the punt, scoops it up and scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35-14!!

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
3 and out for the Flames...our D is kicking on all cylinders...

colorless raider
October 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Pards. Pard94 you may get your wish. Scott hurt and out in Cornell game.

Pard94
October 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Go Pards. Pard94 you may get your wish. Scott hurt and out in Cornell game.

Not wishing an injury on him...just graduation.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Lafayette starts on their own 39...

Coon gets 9 on 1st down...

Pard94
October 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Happiness is having the liberty board up in the background. They are stunned.

http://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Penalty on LC...takes to 2nd and 6 or 7

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Lafayette picks up 2 penalties and goes 3 and out...

Liberty will get it back...need the D to keep it up...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Out at the 4...great punt!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Liberty fumbles on their own goal line, but they recover it at the 2...2nd and long

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Penalty backs it up another yard...2nd and 13 on the 1

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
LU sneaks it out to about the 2 and a half...it'll be 3rd and about 11 or so...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Big play for the Flames out to their 35...halfway through the 3rd...

On first down they complete another one into LC territory at the 45.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Check that, after the play personal foul on Liberty...brings it back to around the LU 40...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
3rd and long coming up for the Flames from their own 38...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
1st down at the Lafayette 45...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Poor tackling and a facemask by LC gives Liberty the ball at about the Lafayette 6...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
incomplete...2nd and G from the 6

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Jennings to the 2...3rd and G coming from there...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
loss of 6 or 7 on a toss...4th and Goal coming from the 9...

Great stand by the Pards...penalty on the FG...

Liberty will try again from the 14...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
31 yarder is no good!

The penalty costs Liberty 3 points!

Still 35-14...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Curley throws it away on 1st down...

Pard94
October 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
need a sustained drive to rest the D now.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Coon gets the 1st down on 3rd and short...Lafayette out across their 30, 1st down

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Lafayette will punt...time winding down in the 3rd...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Liberty will have it at their own 35, 1:49 left in the 3rd

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
12 on first down for Liberty...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Liberty into LC territory again, down to the 40

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Another big chunk for the Flames...down to the 20

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
incomplete on 1st down...25 ticks left in the 3rd

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
1 yard on second down...it'll be 3rd and 9 from the 19 when the 4th quarter begin...

Still 35-14 Leopards

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM
TD Liberty on the first play of the 4th quarter...

Lafayette 35
Liberty 21

Pard94
October 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I'm really really nervous.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'm really really nervous.

Same here...they can score so fast...

PIRATETIZED1
This has been a very entertaining game. It's a LONG way from being over...!

PIRATETIZED
------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

LeopardFan04
Lafayette will start with it around the 20...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Curley gets 6 on first down...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
1st down Coon...keep moving those chains and keeping the clock going...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Rudolph gets 8...there will under 13 min to go by the next play...

LeopardFan04
Holding brings back another first down...

PIRATETIZED1
De' Pards are trying to eat up de'clock by running...!

PIRATETIZED

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Completion leaves the Leopards with 3rd and 2...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
De' Pards are trying to eat up de'clock by running...!

PIRATETIZED

Tough to do missing so many players...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Lafayette will punt on 4th and 1...

Rolls to the 15...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
11:02 to go...Liberty 1st and 10 on their own 15...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Liberty gets 6...then an incompletion...it'll be 3rd & 4 on the 21

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Heck of a catch for Liberty...out near their own 40...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Liberty down to the Leopard 44...this is going to come down to the end it looks like...

Incomplete on 1st down...it'll be 2 and 10 on the 44

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Our D has been on the field the entire second half - not good!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
3rd and 3...Jennings slices through the D down to the 5...

The defense is exhausted...

LeopardFan04
no gain on 1st down...

2nd and goal from the 5 coming...8:30 to go...

Franks Tanks
We need to stay agressive on offense when we get the ball back-- they can score to fast to just sit around and hope the time runs out.

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Jennings gets 2 more...

3rd and Goal from the 3 coming up...

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Jennings gets 2 more...

3rd and Goal from the 3 coming up...

holding them to 3 will be huge

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Jennings to the 1...

It'll be 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Here it is...

Lafayette timeout...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Jennings to the goal line...

Lafayette ball!!!

He gets stopped inches from the end zone!

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
STOPPED EM AN INCH FROM THE GOAL LINE

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Curley sneaks to the one...6:25 to go...

PIRATETIZED1
GREAT defensive stop.....!

LeopardFan04
Russo to maybe the 3...it'll be 3rd and long...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Ferber to the 7...here comes the punting unit...5 minutes to go...

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Need a big punt here

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Huge roll on the punt...

Liberty takes over at the Lafayette 48...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Big sack by the D...

Tick, tick, tick...4 minutes to go...

It's 2nd and 21

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Completed pass for a 5 yard loss...

It'll be 3rd and about 26...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Picked off!

Penalty is on Liberty...so the INT stands!

That may ice it!

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Picked off!

Penalty is on Liberty...so the INT stands!

That may ice it!

Did you see Frankie going nuts after the INt. gotta love it.

PIRATETIZED1
October 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Game, Set, Match...!

PIRATETIZED

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Did you see Frankie going nuts after the INt. gotta love it.

That was great...

How long until Carney comes on and complains about the 2nd half offensive production? :D

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
That was great...

How long until Carney comes on and complains about the 2nd half offensive production? :D

Hopefully Pard 94 will put him in his place.. I am concerned about out TB's being injured however, hopefully they can heal up a bit for our difficut stretch of league games coming up

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hopefully Pard 94 will put him in his place.. I am concerned about out TB's being injured however, hopefully they can heal up a bit for our difficut stretch of league games coming up

Sounds like Morrow isn't too serious...what's the timeline on Mo?

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Lafayette will punt...Liberty will get it with under a minute left...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Timeout Leopards, :56 to go, punt coming...

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Holy crap...

Andy Romans on a fake punt...

First down...game over...:49 to go!

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Curley takes a knee and the Leopards are 5-1!

Congrats to Coach Tavani on his 50th win at Lafayette!

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Congrats Lafayette

Big OOC win for the PL xnodx xnodx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Congrats Lafayette

Big OOC win for the PL xnodx xnodx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

PL did very well overall today--Lehigh was the only loss I believe and they gave Harvard all they could handle

PIRATETIZED1
October 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Congrats Lafayette....GREAT WIN...!

PIRATETIZED

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Congrats Lafayette....GREAT WIN...!

PIRATETIZED

Thanks! xthumbsupx

DTSpider
October 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you Lafayette!

LCFan21
October 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Lafayette made a statement today! Congrats to the entire team and coaching staff - like Romans said in the post game - now the hard part starts.

danefan
October 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Great win for the Pards

I wonder how far Liberty will drop.

LehighFan11
October 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Congrats Lafayette.

Just the type of game I would expect them to win. Maybe the PL isn't dead after all? lol

colorless raider
October 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Great win for the Pards

I wonder how far Liberty will drop.

Congrats to Pards. Now for the PL race.:D

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Congrats.

I was very wrong about both teams in this one.

SuperJon
October 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Congrats guys. Romans is a stud.

Disappointed in our special teams big time today. First time in three years I've seen a punt blocked. First time I've seen a punt muffed like that. First time I've seen a punt returned like LC did. Your guys said you weren't even trying to block it on the one Romans blocked.

I have to think we'll drop out of the top 25 with this one.

Tribe4SF
October 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
This puts a harpoon in the Flames season. I think the playoffs cannot happen now.

SuperJon
October 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
A few more things:

We left too many points on the field. I know the wind was circling pretty heavily but those six points off of a field goals would've helped a ton. Also the goal line stand for LC taking away seven. We make that stuff and it's a different game.

That muffed punt in the first quarter set the tone for the entire game. If we don't do that and say we put together a good drive, maybe even score, and momentum is completely different.

It was the worst I've seen us play since Elon last year. Give credit to LC because part of it was due to them, but part of it was on us as well. Dropped passes, muffed punts, and stupid penalties are all things that we did today that we haven't done since Elon. You can't do that and get away with it against a good team.

The fake punt at the end of the game was an absolute brilliant call. It sealed the deal for you guys. I wasn't even thinking about it being a possibility.

Everyone I met from LC was polite and friendly. You guys have a good team. I hope you do well the rest of the year and we'll see you up there next year.

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
This puts a harpoon in the Flames season. I think the playoffs cannot happen now.

If the Flames win out, they're 9-1 with a conference title and a win over a likely playoff team in Elon

It's a long shot, but that might keep them in the picture

Bogus Megapardus
October 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I had to go to this silly horse thing in Far Hills NJ and I missed the game, which I assumed would be a blowout in favor of Liberty anyhow. Was is a solid win, or did the Flames simply get "Tavanied?"

I still would rather have played Princeton like we were supposed to do.

Seawolf97
October 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Congratulations to Lafayette!

ngineer
October 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Congrats Lafayette.

Just the type of game I would expect them to win. Maybe the PL isn't dead after all? lol

Yes, this was a very good day for the PL with all the OOC wins and Lehigh taking Harvard to the wire in Cambridge. It would certainly seem that Colgate and Lafayette have to be considered the early favorites at this point, with Holy Cross and Lehigh capable of challenging as well.

Go...gate
October 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I think Lafayette has a solid chance in this one because they don't make a habit of beating themselves. They can run the ball and their defense has looked fairly strong.

Ahem.....no senior moments on this one!!

Congrats to Lafayette on beating a fine club on their field. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I had to go to this silly horse thing in Far Hills NJ and I missed the game, which I assumed would be a blowout in favor of Liberty anyhow. Was is a solid win, or did the Flames simply get "Tavanied?"

Ah, the Far Hills Race! That is a fun event, especially on a beautful Fall Saturday such as this was.

ngineer
October 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM
If the Flames win out, they're 9-1 with a conference title and a win over a likely playoff team in Elon

It's a long shot, but that might keep them in the picture

Liberty will have to run the table to have a shot at an at-large slot. The win over Elon would be necessary after today. Lafayette is a solid team, and their offense got back on track today, so they are definitely a top PL contender...but the PL is looked down upon by the great majority of those who decide these things as well as a lot of pollsters on here. That's the problem...perception=reality.xsmhx

Pards Rule
October 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Great win by the Pards! Congrats!

letsgopards04
October 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Did you get good and lit at the "Hunt"?

Jerbearasu
October 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Liberty will have to run the table to have a shot at an at-large slot. The win over Elon would be necessary after today. Lafayette is a solid team, and their offense got back on track today, so they are definitely a top PL contender...but the PL is looked down upon by the great majority of those who decide these things as well as a lot of pollsters on here. That's the problem...perception=reality.xsmhx

Overall I agree with you that the PL is not considered strong but good teams do come out of the PL so a loss to a good team in the conference is not that bad. Lafayette gave the 05 Apps all they could handle in the playoffs and that year the PL also was a 2 bid league...

LCFan21
October 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
It appears Romans will win PL player of the week for the third straight week - He has to be the leading candidate up to this point for the Buchanan award. He is not just playing well individually - the entire LC defense has raised their level of play and he is the spark plug leading them - The interview they did with his counterpart Mark Leggerio during the broadcast was very well done - they asked him what it was like playing along side of Andy and he talked about how the level of play is rising due to what Andy is bringing to the table day in and day out. His work ethic and passion for playing the game of football is contagious and I hope the voters take a long hard look at him for representing the defense of 1AA Football.

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Did you get good and lit at the "Hunt"?

If Bill A. and Bernadette D. choose reconvene the Weathermen, the material excesses seen there will be ground zero for the new revolution.

(With apologies to Prof. Rick Matthews.)

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2381/dsci0088postiz1.jpg

carney2
October 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Not certain what you mean by "Tavanied." Anyway, it was a solid win. The Flames won most of the statistical battles, but were prevented - yes, prevented - from making things happen when they had to. Lafayette won the biggest statistic - no, not the scoreboard - time of possession by 33 to 27. That simply means that the high powered Liberty offense had limited opportunities. It was a team win - offense, defense and maybe most of all, special teams. Lafayette team depth came into play with Tavani continually grabbing new bodies from what appears to be a large bag. Lots of freshmen got their first real action and came up big. The team came to play; they were prepared; the coaches game planned very well; and, frankly, the Pards deserved to win.

I could not disagree with your final comment any more even if my wife said it. These are the games we need, not more, and more, and more, and... of that insufferable Ivy crap.

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
. . . with Tavani continually grabbing new bodies from what appears to be a large bag . . . .

. . . which raises the obvious question of team health going into the most critical stretch of the season. With the top two tailbacks potentially unavailable for Fordham and perhaps beyond, and with the injuries on the O line, are the Pards deep enough? They're going to have to beat two of three from HC, Colgate and Fordham. That's not going to be easy.

carney2
October 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
. . . which raises the obvious question of team health going into the most critical stretch of the season. With the top two tailbacks potentially unavailable for Fordham and perhaps beyond, and with the injuries on the O line, are the Pards deep enough? They're going to have to beat two of three from HC, Colgate and Fordham. That's not going to be easy.

Last year Frank played a few games with the tailback who was number 6 on the depth chart in preseason. Frankly, I don't think that any of the tailbacks - including White - are THAT good that they are make or break. Anyway, here are the latest major injuries as I understand them:

TB Mo White - Dislocated toe. Probably out for at least one more game. Just a hunch, but may not be 100% the rest of the way.

TB Deandre' Morrow - Ankle sprain. Not as bad as first expected. Unknown at the moment how much time he'll miss, if any.

TE Michael Conte - Back spasms against Columbia. Still a no-go. Big loss because the drop to Bolton and the rest of the backups is severe.

OL D.J. Brown - Strained knee. Status unknown. Not a lot of quality depth in the OL, so this one could hurt.

I don't know of any others, but someone with inside info will correct me, I'm sure. DL injuries appear to have healed with both Schade and Poulson on duty at Liberty.

Number 5 tailback (number 3 if neither White nor Morrow play) - behind Coon and Ferber - now appears to be freshman Jerome Rudolph, another undersized speedster out of the Morrow mold. Got some playing time and carries vs. Liberty.

Pard94
October 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Last year Frank played a few games with the tailback who was number 6 on the depth chart in preseason. Frankly, I don't think that any of the tailbacks - including White - are THAT good that they are make or break. Anyway, here are the latest major injuries as I understand them:

TB Mo White - Dislocated toe. Probably out for at least one more game. Just a hunch, but may not be 100% the rest of the way.

TB Deandre' Morrow - Ankle sprain. Not as bad as first expected. Unknown at the moment how much time he'll miss, if any.

TE Michael Conte - Back spasms against Columbia. Still a no-go. Big loss because the drop to Bolton and the rest of the backups is severe.

OL D.J. Brown - Strained knee. Status unknown. Not a lot of quality depth in the OL, so this one could hurt.

I don't know of any others, but someone with inside info will correct me, I'm sure. DL injuries appear to have healed with both Schade and Poulson on duty at Liberty.

Number 5 tailback (number 3 if neither White nor Morrow play) - behind Coon and Ferber - now appears to be freshman Jerome Rudolph, another undersized speedster out of the Morrow mold. Got some playing time and carries vs. Liberty.

Here's my prediction...everybody's back except for White.

Go...gate
October 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
IMO, biggest LC non-conference, non-Lehigh win in at least 20 years. Thoughts from the Leopard faithful?

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Plenty of posts on this thread...but this game, did it fall under the radar in the land of FCS? I really think it did...when this should be a huge boost to Lafayette's credentials this season and should get them into the top 25...

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Plenty of posts on this thread...but this game, did it fall under the radar in the land of FCS? I really think it did...when this should be a huge boost to Lafayette's credentials this season and should get them into the top 25...

Would trade it in a heartbeat for a win over App State in 2005.

carney2
October 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM
IMO, biggest LC non-conference, non-Lehigh win in at least 20 years. Thoughts from the Leopard faithful?

We discussed this on the Lafayette board. 20 years is right on for a non-Lehigh win. Don't know about non-conference. In 1988 the Pards beat Holy Cross who were exiting their scholarship years to become loyal and legal Patriot League (Colonial League at that time, I think) citizens, but still had a lot of play for pay guys on the roster.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM

It won't win the same style awards that this week's Liberty victory had, but Lafayette 7, Richmond 0 was a pretty huge win.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 07:49 AM
It won't win the same style awards that this week's Liberty victory had, but Lafayette 7, Richmond 0 was a pretty huge win.

I guess. It was certainly the win that cemented an at-large playoff bid for that season. On the day of the game however, it did not resonate as strongly as the previous year's 21-16 win over the Spiders down in Dixie. In the end I don't think that either made quite the statement as the 1988 win over Holy Cross that I mentioned earlier. Either of those Richmond wins probably does fit the letter of go...gate's question better than the Holy Cross win in that it would be both non-Lehigh AND non-conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I guess. It was certainly the win that cemented an at-large playoff bid for that season. On the day of the game however, it did not resonate as strongly as the previous year's 21-16 win over the Spiders down in Dixie. In the end I don't think that either made quite the statement as the 1988 win over Holy Cross that I mentioned earlier. Either of those Richmond wins probably does fit the letter of go...gate's question better than the Holy Cross win in that it would be both non-Lehigh AND non-conference.

I agree. What struck me about the Liberty game was that it was a sellout (or damned close to it) and it was a true playoff-like atmosphere. With the 7-0 game, it was in Week Two against an unranked opponent. I'd put it up there, though, only because CAA opponents are more of Lafayette's "natural" rivals than Big South schools.

Liberty's loss in this game may loom very, very large in their effort to get an at-large bid. Do they get into the field if they go 9-2, coast through the rest of their schedule but lose to Elon?

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree. What struck me about the Liberty game was that it was a sellout (or damned close to it) and it was a true playoff-like atmosphere. With the 7-0 game, it was in Week Two against an unranked opponent. I'd put it up there, though, only because CAA opponents are more of Lafayette's "natural" rivals than Big South schools.

Liberty's loss in this game may loom very, very large in their effort to get an at-large bid. Do they get into the field if they go 9-2, coast through the rest of their schedule but lose to Elon?

It was more than a sellout. The 2nd largest crowd ever at Liberty. They put 15,748 or so into a stadium with a stated capacity of 12,000. I've had it explained to me (grassy knolls, etc.), but I still don't understand how that's done. Unlike Patriot League gatherings which consist largely of old grads who feel that polite applause is what one does to celebrate, this crowd was more than 50% students who were LOUD. Many of the 15,748, young and old, wore garish red and blue costumes and wigs to emphasize the fact that they left some portion of their sanity out in the parking lot.

In my uninformed opinion, Liberty does not get to the playoffs at 9-2. Their schedule includes too many teams that are 4 or 5 notches south of unimpressive, and that will be held against them. I said before and I say again, they need to win 2 out of 3 vs. Youngstown State, Lafayette and Elon while running the table in the Big South and the remainder of their OOCs. They are good enough to pull it off, and are still on schedule, but cannot stumble again. A solid showing by Lafayette the rest of the way, including a Patriot League championship, would help their cause.

jcmanson
October 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
They put 15,748 or so into a stadium with a stated capacity of 12,000. I've had it explained to me (grassy knolls, etc.), but I still don't understand how that's done.

Our stated capacity at 12,000 only includes the permanent seats on both sides of the stadium. We have 6 luxury suites which can hold up to 50 each (300), we have added seats in one endzone (appx. 500), we have added temporary bleachers for this season (appx. 1,500), and we still have “the grassy knoll” which can hold a lot more people than it normally does. So that’s about 2000 – 2500 seats we’ve added for this season in addition to “the grassy knoll”. Also, our game this Saturday against Charleston Southern is homecoming and all indications is that will be the largest crowd ever with 16,000 +.

In my uninformed opinion, Liberty does not get to the playoffs at 9-2. Their schedule includes too many teams that are 4 or 5 notches south of unimpressive, and that will be held against them. I said before and I say again, they need to win 2 out of 3 vs. Youngstown State, Lafayette and Elon while running the table in the Big South and the remainder of their OOCs. They are good enough to pull it off, and are still on schedule, but cannot stumble again. A solid showing by Lafayette the rest of the way, including a Patriot League championship, would help their cause.

But do we get in at 11-1 with a 5 game winning streak and a win against Elon?

elon77
October 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Our stated capacity at 12,000 only includes the permanent seats on both sides of the stadium. We have 6 luxury suites which can hold up to 50 each (300), we have added seats in one endzone (appx. 500), we have added temporary bleachers for this season (appx. 1,500), and we still have “the grassy knoll” which can hold a lot more people than it normally does. So that’s about 2000 – 2500 seats we’ve added for this season in addition to “the grassy knoll”. Also, our game this Saturday against Charleston Southern is homecoming and all indications is that will be the largest crowd ever with 16,000 +.

I have seen you play twice on TV this year, Saturday's game and Coastal. You need to figure out how to stop other teams offensives before you will be able to beat Elon. But alot could change between now and when you play them. Injuries could play a big part, let's hope both teams stay healthy.xnodx

jcmanson
October 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I will be the first to agree with you that we have a LONG way to go to hold Elon under 80 points. We are all looking forward to the game no doubt, but have to take care of business the next 4 weeks or that game won't matter anyway. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks our chances are IF we do win out. Certainly is a big IF though.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM

You do understand that I have absolutely no influence with the selection committee, don't you? If KenZ should, heaven forbid, agree with me, you could then take my opinion to the bank - or at least to AIG, Lehman Brothers or some other reputable Wall Street gathering.

For what it's worth, I think that an 11-1 (how does the total get to 12 rather than everyone else's 11?) Liberty is a lock for the playoffs. You have to believe that the selection committee recognizes that the CAA and SoCon are their playoff bread and butter, but that they would really like to recognize some of the teams and conferences that are banging on the playoff door. An 11-1 Liberty gives them a chance to make a statement without taking too much flack from the traditional big kids. If two other things come to pass, the probabilty, in my opinion, approaches 100%:

1. Lafayette runs their own table, wins the Patriot League, and ends up firmly entrenched in the Top 25;

and

2. Elon continues to play well and also is in or near the Top 25 for that last game - which Liberty must then win.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM

If you have a 5 game winning streak, that means you will have swept through your Big South schedule and you would have beaten a team that has spent time in the Top 5, so yes, I'd say you're in in that case.

But if the Flames look past their BSC schedule towards Elon and the playoffs, I think you'll be on the outside looking in. IMO, Liberty HAS to win the BSC title before they get consideration.

jcmanson
October 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
For what it's worth, I think that an 11-1 (how does the total get to 12 rather than everyone else's 11?)

We are playing 12 games like many other teams this year.

Tealblood
October 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
unfortunately Liberty can't get to 11-1

they will at best be 9-1 in the eyes of the committee

Go...gate
October 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
We discussed this on the Lafayette board. 20 years is right on for a non-Lehigh win. Don't know about non-conference. In 1988 the Pards beat Holy Cross who were exiting their scholarship years to become loyal and legal Patriot League (Colonial League at that time, I think) citizens, but still had a lot of play for pay guys on the roster.

HC 1988 was full-scholarship. They were still resisting ending scholarships then.

letsgopards04
October 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Can Tavani keep the boys firing for the rest of the season? You have to play to win as evidenced by Saturday.

Pards Rule
October 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
When is Tavani's contract up? I can see teams coming after him.