PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions- Week 8

gbhmt
October 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Quite a boring week in the Big Sky, with the only really even matchup being Eastern and MSU.

Eastern Washington at Montana State - Both teams are coming in discouraged; Eastern lost its second in a row, first being outgunned and then being shut down, and Montana State lost at home in a game that they expected to be closer (sounds like Weber's game against UM, too). I still think Eastern has one of the best offenses in the nation. Many are now dismissing them as average, I think whoever does that will regret it. Montana State is a balanced team, and have the home field advantage, but I don't know if they'll stop the Eagles still-strong offense. EWU 31- MSU 20

Northern Arizona at Idaho State - If there's a gimme in the picks this week, it's this one. Idaho State has fought through a painful season of close loss after close loss; I don't think this one's gonna follow suit. NAU holds ISU to under 50 yds on the ground, maybe even another negative yardage game for their run D. NAU 38-ISU 7

Sacramento State at Montana - If it wasn't for that big win over PSU, Sac St. would be talked about similiarly as ISU. However, they're a much better team. But it's not gonna be easy playing at Washington-Grizzly against a defense that's finally got some confidence and that's proven itself against one of the best offenses around. However, Sac St. doesn't go quietly. UM 35- Sac St. 21

Northern Colorado at Weber State - Weber's just steamrolling through conference play, and it looks like the only real obstacles standing between the conference title are a quietly oustanding NAU and a still-great EWU. They're probably looking ahead two weeks at the NAU game. UNC has had a tough year, and Weber's had their best year in a decade. WSU 45 - UNC 14

Portland State's got the bye, and will take on Idaho State next week.

Predicted standings after 10/18:

Team Conf. Rec. Overall Rec.

1. Northern Arizona 4-0 6-1
2. Weber State 4-0 6-2
3. Montana 2-1 6-1
4. Eastern Wash. 2-2 3-4
5. Montana State 1-2 3-4
6. Portland State 1-2 2-4
7. Northern Colorado 1-2 1-5
8. Sacramento State 1-3 3-4
9. Idaho State 0-4 0-7

CopperCat
October 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
WSU emerging as the front runner isn't surprising. Seeing what has happened to EWU is. NAU and PSU are sort of lurking behind the scenes waiting for their shot to prove themselves against the top teams in the conference. Halfway through the season, it's crunch time.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I actually am very nervous about this game for NAU - we tend to lay an egg against a team we should beat on the road...

I really think all four games will be competitive.

Grizzaholic
October 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
post edited

Ronbo
October 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Not to put down what your doing but I prefer Jalmond doing these things because Griz fans are looked on with such disdain on this message board that you should always pick us to lose. If Jalmond picks us to win then it's OK but not a Griz fan being for their own team for heavens sake.

Down with the Foe!
October 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I actually am very nervous about this game for NAU - we tend to lay an egg against a team we should beat on the road...

I really think all four games will be competitive.

....as nervous as a whore in church, I wager based on past experiences.

NAU has not been a team that has enjoyed the limelight, have they?

xpeacex

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
....as nervous as a whore in church, I wager based on past experiences.

NAU has not been a team that has enjoyed the limelight, have they?

xpeacex

Nope, we haven't. Hence, my nervousness.

I Bleed Purple
October 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Someone has experience of being a whore in church?

<.<

>.>

Not good at ISU, dbackjon? Or just not good at being in first place?

dbackjon
October 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM

<.<

>.>

Not good at ISU, dbackjon? Or just not good at being in first place?

Not good at being in first, and past history of losing road game to a team we should dominate.

Hopefully, the team is focused on ISU, not Weber the following week.

mvemjsunpx
October 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Northern Arizona (3-0, 5-1) @ Idaho St. (0-3, 0-6) - Idaho State reached a new level of futility last week by losing their 10th. straight game. If they don't get it done & pull an upset this week, they can have a grand ole time celebrating the one year anniversary of their last win next Monday. I'm gonna put the over/under on Bengal rushing yards at 10… NAU 31, IDST 17

Northern Colorado (1-1, 1-4) @ Weber St. (3-0, 5-2) - Wow, both of these teams did well last week: Weber proved the Montana win wasn't a fluke by crushing the Bobcats in Bozeman while the Bears got their first win over Idaho State since 1989 in fairly dominating fashion. Unfortunately for Northern Colorado, their opponent this week is nothing like Idaho State… WEBER 35, NCOL 14

Sac State (1-2, 3-3) @ Montana (1-1, 5-1) - Montana is 13-0 against the Hornets all-time, including a non-conference meeting in 1993. Yes, Sac did scare the Griz in Missoula in '99, '00, & the PamScam game in '02, but the last two meetings in WaGriz have been thorough thrashings. The Hornets don't have the pass defense to change things around this year… UMT 38, CSUS 21

Eastern Washington (1-2, 2-4) @ Montana St. (1-1, 3-3) - The only game this week that doesn't seem like an obvious pick. Both the Eagles & Bobcats put forth disappointing efforts this past week in losing by double digits at home. Despite only managing 3 points against the Griz, the Eagles still appear to have one of the most dangerous offenses in FCS. However, QB Matt Nichols couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when the Montana D got pressure on him. I see the Bobcats exploiting that trend as much as they possibly can to keep their playoff hopes alive for another week… MTST 31, EWU 24

Down with the Foe!
October 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I guess we might be a little less refined with our words up here in the sticks.

xcoolx

gbhmt
October 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Not to put down what your doing but I prefer Jalmond doing these things because Griz fans are looked on with such disdain on this message board that you should always pick us to lose. If Jalmond picks us to win then it's OK but not a Griz fan being for their own team for heavens sake.

then ignore the griz predictions?

edit: also, it's a shame that wolfman got banned right when I came here. Because while he was excessively belligerent, he really was a fan that was frustrated with the direction of his team. I think many non griz fans took his picks seriously. I'm certainly no wolfie, but I definitely agree with him on some issues, so I'm no "sugar-coater" either, as he would put it.

placidlakegriz
October 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
wolfman got banned

It's a great day in America!!!!!!!!!!!

JALMOND
October 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM

I don't mind any other picks (actually thanks for the accolade). I certainly try to be objective and it is appreciated when others are too. We all would love having our team go undefeated but that in itself is quite a feat. Trying to pick and choose when Portland State will win (EWU) and when they will lose (Sac State) is almost a chore in itself (let alone trying to pick the others). 36-6 so far though is a good indication. My picks will come Wednesday as usual.

RationalGriz
October 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Not to put down what your doing but I prefer Jalmond doing these things because RONBO IS looked on with such disdain on this message board that you should always pick THE GRIZ to lose. If Jalmond picks THE GRIZ to win then it's OK but not RONBO being for HIS own team for heavens sake.

There, fixed it for you.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
then ignore the griz predictions?

edit: also, it's a shame that wolfman got banned right when I came here. Because while he was excessively belligerent, he really was a fan that was frustrated with the direction of his team. I think many non griz fans took his picks seriously. I'm certainly no wolfie, but I definitely agree with him on some issues, so I'm no "sugar-coater" either, as he would put it.

I miss Wolfie, he was always good for a laugh. It was like a car wreck, you didn't want to watch, but you couldn't turn away ;)

Grizzaholic
October 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
It's a great day in America!!!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous ground you are on PLG. Becareful of what you say about people on the banned list.

UNCBears2010
October 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Eastern Washington 35-Montana State 13
EWU is angry about last week, and the Bobcats will feel their wrath.

Northern Arizona 35-Idaho State 7
Having seen them both in person, NAU is clearly the superior team.

Montana 38-Sacramento State 35
Montana wins, but the Hornets keep it interesting.

Weber State 34-Northern Colorado 28
A lot of people think this will be a blowout, but the Bears have been competitive against every FCS opponent they've seen this year, and I don't think that changes.

already123
October 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I too think UNC can give them a game. Lets just hope they ride that one game win streak into Ogden

I Bleed Purple
October 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I too think UNC can give them a game. Lets just hope they ride that one game win streak into Ogden

I'm coming to the belief that you have some sort of pathological hatred for WSU. Digesting your posts should lead me to a gut reaction of a three touchdown Wildcat win next week. xnodx

I'm fairly certain the margin of victory for WSU will be higher than NAU this week. Although I guess I should be worried that we let down this week like we did last week. It was only a 23 point win last week.

Grizzaholic
October 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I too think UNC can give them a game. Lets just hope they ride that one game win streak into Ogden.............

...........and leave with it still intact.xthumbsupx

UNCBears2010
October 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm coming to the belief that you have some sort of pathological hatred for WSU. Digesting your posts should lead me to a gut reaction of a three touchdown Wildcat win next week. xnodx

I'm fairly certain the margin of victory for WSU will be higher than NAU this week. Although I guess I should be worried that we let down this week like we did last week. It was only a 23 point win last week.

Wow, that's a helluva prediction. Have you seen ISU? They're like UNC was last year, just awful. If we had thrown more than twice in the last quarter and a half, we could have won that game by 30 or 40.

I am almost 100% certain that NAU's margin of victory will be higher than Weber's.

UNCBears2010
October 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
...........and leave with it still intact.xthumbsupx

Hopefully so!

GO BEARS!

I Bleed Purple
October 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Home vs. away. Home vs. away. Home vs. away.

You beat ISU by more than MSU did. Is that because UNC is better than MSU? No. You played 'em at home and they played 'em in Pocatello.

UNCBears2010
October 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Home vs. away. Home vs. away. Home vs. away.

You beat ISU by more than MSU did. Is that because UNC is better than MSU? No. You played 'em at home and they played 'em in Pocatello.

Home and away changes the score by about a field goal. This game will be closer than Wildcat fans think. Mark my words.

JALMOND
October 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Healthy discussions going on. Glad to see it is staying on the first page. Makes it easier to find. Hopefully I can add my two cents in here. 36-6 for the year and coming off of a perfect 4-0 week. No one can call me a homer as Portland State has a bye this week (so does Oregon although our margin of victory will be more than the Ducks:D ). Truly objective picks this week. Should be entertaining.

EWU @ MSU---Eagles defense didn't show up against Portland State, Eagles offense didn't show up against Montana. Bobcats lose their homecoming last week to Weber State. Which is worse, losing to the Grizzlies or losing in front of the alumni. Losing to the Grizzlies happens more frequently...MSU 35, EWU 20.

NAU @ ISU---Jacks flying high and feel like they belong in the top tier. The Bengals are struggling after losing to Northern Colorado. Jacks are still thinking they can get in and are looking towards the two dates coming up with Weber State and Montana. Just get past this one first...NAU 34, ISU 29.

UNC @ WSU---The Bears finally broke the "close" cigar last week with a confortable win against Idaho State. The Wildcats kept it rolling with the road win at Montana State last week. The Wildcats may look past this game to Northern Arizona next week. The Bears would like nothing more than a good road win. Do they get it?...WSU 45, UNC 22.

Sac State @ UM---The main difference here is that the Hornets want to think they belong, the Grizzlies know that they do. This is a big game for the Hornets and they've had two weeks to prepare for it. The Grizzlies know a thing about big games this year, with wins at both Cal Poly and Eastern Washington. This one is in Missoula, though...UM 32, Sac State 21.

CopperCat
October 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Home and away changes the score by about a field goal. This game will be closer than Wildcat fans think. Mark my words.

Consider them marked.

already123
October 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM

I in no way was predicting a win by UNC...I was just saying that UNC has played people closer than predicted this whole season, starting with Purdue.
I do think WSU will control the game, especially at home, I am just hesitant to predict a blowout.

I like Weber, Ive been very very impressed with them so far this season....

JALMOND
October 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Alright Griz fans, I don't mean to be rude but what did you all do to Screaming Eagle last weekend? Thursday night and he hasn't been heard from. I thought I'd at least get a rise out of him by picking MSU over EWU this weekend.

Really, I thought he had some great discussion points. Did someone forget to let him out this week?

Ronbo
October 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I watch with humor as a Weber State fan comes out of the woodwork after 10 years of hiding. Must be fun to finally have a team to talk about.xlolx Where's the rest of your fans over on the Ute's board? xnodx Anyway seriously, the stiffer competition is welcome by most of the Griz fans in the Big Sky this season. Now let's see if you guys can follow through and get to the playoffs. You have 4 games that don't count already as D-I wins so you have very little room for error.

gbhmt
October 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Alright Griz fans, I don't mean to be rude but what did you all do to Screaming Eagle last weekend? Thursday night and he hasn't been heard from. I thought I'd at least get a rise out of him by picking MSU over EWU this weekend.

Really, I thought he had some great discussion points. Did someone forget to let him out this week?

i saw him at the game, didn't seem too bad. there wasn't any EWU smack around here either.

I Bleed Purple
October 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I watch with humor as a Weber State fan comes out of the woodwork after 10 years of hiding. Must be fun to finally have a team to talk about.xlolx Where's the rest of your fans over on the Ute's board? xnodx Anyway seriously, the stiffer competition is welcome by most of the Griz fans in the Big Sky this season. Now let's see if you guys can follow through and get to the playoffs. You have 4 games that don't count already as D-I wins so you have very little room for error.

You're right. *checks registration date* Oh wait, you're not.

Walkon79
October 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Northern Arizona (3-0, 5-1) @ Idaho St. (0-3, 0-6) - Idaho State reached a new level of futility last week by losing their 10th. straight game. If they don't get it done & pull an upset this week, they can have a grand ole time celebrating the one year anniversary of their last win next Monday. I'm gonna put the over/under on Bengal rushing yards at 10… NAU 31, IDST 17

Northern Colorado (1-1, 1-4) @ Weber St. (3-0, 5-2) - Wow, both of these teams did well last week: Weber proved the Montana win wasn't a fluke by crushing the Bobcats in Bozeman while the Bears got their first win over Idaho State since 1989 in fairly dominating fashion. Unfortunately for Northern Colorado, their opponent this week is nothing like Idaho State… WEBER 35, NCOL 14

Sac State (1-2, 3-3) @ Montana (1-1, 5-1) - Montana is 13-0 against the Hornets all-time, including a non-conference meeting in 1993. Yes, Sac did scare the Griz in Missoula in '99, '00, & the PamScam game in '02, but the last two meetings in WaGriz have been thorough thrashings. The Hornets don't have the pass defense to change things around this year… UMT 38, CSUS 21

Eastern Washington (1-2, 2-4) @ Montana St. (1-1, 3-3) - The only game this week that doesn't seem like an obvious pick. Both the Eagles & Bobcats put forth disappointing efforts this past week in losing by double digits at home. Despite only managing 3 points against the Griz, the Eagles still appear to have one of the most dangerous offenses in FCS. However, QB Matt Nichols couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when the Montana D got pressure on him. I see the Bobcats exploiting that trend as much as they possibly can to keep their playoff hopes alive for another week… MTST 31, EWU 24

If you must insist on inserting your comments in a BSC thread, then please:

Its ISU, not IDST
Its UNC, not NCOL
Its UM, Not UMT
Its MSU, Not MTST

And while CSUS may be politically correct, nobody in the conference uses those initials. Just call them Sac St, (Or Suck St if that's your preference. :) )

Green Laser
October 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Its ISU, not IDST
Its UNC, not NCOL
Its UM, Not UMT
Its MSU, Not MTST

And while CSUS may be politically correct, nobody in the conference uses those initials. Just call them Sac St, (Or Suck St if that's your preference. :) )

FYI
Actually Sacramento State or Sac State is the offical "brand name" of the University. All offical signs and materials connected with the school use Sac State or Sacramento State. Most California State University campuses located in major cities, Fresno, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose etc. use thier geographical names. The school's formal name, California State University Sacramento is only used on diplomas etc. " Suck State" is the pet name that the aggies at U.C. Dungpile have for us. I look forward to seeing the Bobcats at Sac State next week!

mvemjsunpx
October 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM

Its ISU, not IDST
Its UNC, not NCOL
Its UM, Not UMT
Its MSU, Not MTST

I'm a Montana fan, so I know the Big Sky pretty well.

There's a segment I do on "that other FCS message board" in which I have to use abbreviations for all FCS teams & most all FBS teams. Therefore, I use a unique abbreviation for each team in DI:

UM is usually considered Michigan, not Montana (UMT is Montana's web address), so I use UM for Michigan. MSU is generally considered Michigan State, not Montana State. UNC is almost always considered North Carolina, not Northern Colorado. ISU is usually considered Iowa State, not Idaho State.

UNCBears2010
October 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM

There's a segment I do on "that other FCS message board" in which I have to use abbreviations for all FCS teams & most all FBS teams. Therefore, I use a unique abbreviation for each team in DI:

UM is usually considered Michigan, not Montana (UMT is Montana's web address), so I use UM for Michigan. MSU is generally considered Michigan State, not Montana State. UNC is almost always considered North Carolina, not Northern Colorado. ISU is usually considered Iowa State, not Idaho State.

Just use NC to designate Northern Colorado, that's what our athletic department often does.

JALMOND
October 18th, 2008, 01:40 AM

Call it what you want. I've been following the conference since 1976 and, to me;

UM has always been Montana (Michigan is just Michigan, Minnesota is just "The Gophers" or "The Rodents").

MSU has always been Montana State (Michigan State is "Spartans", Minot State is "Minot" and McNeese State is "McNeese").

ISU has always refered to Idaho State (Iowa State is "The Clones").

PSU is of course Portland State (Penn State is Penn State).

UNC did get some getting used to, but I now know for sure they are Northern Colorado (North Carolina are just "Tar Heels", primarily used during basketball season).

NAU is Northern Arizona (I don't know what North Alabama would be, something other than NAU for sure).

WSU is Weber State (Washington State are "The Cougs").

EWU is Eastern Washington (I don't know what Edward Waters would be).

lastly, I did get in trouble a few years ago making Sac State as CSUS. Since then, I've only used Sac State and they are the only Big Sky team I spell out.

Former Big Sky schools:

BSU is Boise State (always fun to chant that).

Idaho is just Idaho (never could make UI stick).

Nevada will always be UNR (for Nevada-RENO always fun to "remind" the Wolfpack that particular fact).

Cal State Northridge was CSN (not Crosby, Stills and Nash, or Cable Sports Network).

I Bleed Purple
October 18th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Didn't Northridge cut football?

JALMOND
October 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Didn't Northridge cut football?

Yes. That's why I used the term "was" :D .

CSN now used extensively by College Sporting News.

SactoHornetFan
October 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Its ISU, not IDST
Its UNC, not NCOL
Its UM, Not UMT
Its MSU, Not MTST

We prefer SAC. Actually, according to the university style guide, "CSUS" is officially out. In athletics, our short code is SAC. You can no longer call us suck state anymore ;)

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
We prefer SAC. Actually, according to the university style guide, "CSUS" is officially out. In athletics, our short code is SAC. You can no longer call us suck state anymore ;)

You sure about that? xeyebrowx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM

I'm still here. Just been in a depressed football mood after EWU's performance the past couple weeks... not to mention my Seahawks. Today's game cheered me up though. Looks like you almost picked the score right Jalmond. Just not the winning team. We rebounded well... defense played with some pep, and I think Peach is solidifying his Buchanon award... 3 more sacks and a forced fumble. That man is a savage!

JALMOND
October 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Healthy discussions going on. Glad to see it is staying on the first page. Makes it easier to find. Hopefully I can add my two cents in here. 36-6 for the year and coming off of a perfect 4-0 week. No one can call me a homer as Portland State has a bye this week (so does Oregon although our margin of victory will be more than the Ducks:D ). Truly objective picks this week. Should be entertaining.

EWU @ MSU---Eagles defense didn't show up against Portland State, Eagles offense didn't show up against Montana. Bobcats lose their homecoming last week to Weber State. Which is worse, losing to the Grizzlies or losing in front of the alumni. Losing to the Grizzlies happens more frequently...MSU 35, EWU 20.

NAU @ ISU---Jacks flying high and feel like they belong in the top tier. The Bengals are struggling after losing to Northern Colorado. Jacks are still thinking they can get in and are looking towards the two dates coming up with Weber State and Montana. Just get past this one first...NAU 34, ISU 29.

UNC @ WSU---The Bears finally broke the "close" cigar last week with a confortable win against Idaho State. The Wildcats kept it rolling with the road win at Montana State last week. The Wildcats may look past this game to Northern Arizona next week. The Bears would like nothing more than a good road win. Do they get it?...WSU 45, UNC 22.

Sac State @ UM---The main difference here is that the Hornets want to think they belong, the Grizzlies know that they do. This is a big game for the Hornets and they've had two weeks to prepare for it. The Grizzlies know a thing about big games this year, with wins at both Cal Poly and Eastern Washington. This one is in Missoula, though...UM 32, Sac State 21.

OK so I went 3-1 this week. The three easy ones and I messed up on the challenge xoopsx . Brings me to 39-7 for the year so far. Dang, I need another perfect week.

Walkon79
October 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Sorry about the slam about BSC fans, but I stand by the abbreviations used by the majority.