PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh at Fordham

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 09:22 PM
The Rams have now run off two wins in a row. Change in personnel? Lehigh already making plans for some good wonks in the Bronx. Will be there again. Two years ago was one of the most dramatic games I've ever attended or participated in, in my life. We're hoping for an easier time of it, but Fordham was considered a 'dark horse' this year, and I've always considered them dangerous. Would like to hear from the Rose Hill gang as to what we can expect. ;)

colgate13
November 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Their defense was fairly respectable against us. They just had no life on offense, and the talent was a little thin IMO. The tailback is a workhorse but they need more threats than just him to keep a defense honest. If they have found them, the Mountain Hawks will need a similar effort like they put on today. They can't go on cruise control into Lafayette or they might just get an 'L'.

BTW, can you tell that I've convinced myself that if I wish it hard enough, it might come true? :)

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you're taking a page from our book, "The Little Engin(eers) That Could"--" I think I can, I think I can..." :D
Well, the way our guys came out in the second half today showed what some focus will do. Royce Morgan said in August he senses a very special year for Lehigh. With the adversity of losing like we did to UD and HC, losing Borda, and still winning the PL--and perhaps making some noise in the 'big dance' he may will have been prognositcating... ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2005, 01:40 AM
This is way too early for my preview of Fordham, but they won this weekend with 344 yards on the ground and 44 yards passing (and 2 INTs). Bucknell got 200 yards rushing against them and I think Fordham generally this year has given up a lot of yards.

If Lehigh sticks to the gameplan and continues to improve in execution this week, this game hopefully will not be close, especially if our resurgent rushing attack is for real.

ngineer
November 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Appears that Fordham's attack is focused on their tailback. We've done a pretty good job of controlling everyone's star back to the point where they did not beat us. Cuff did the best of anyone, and even he didn't dominate the game like I thought he might.
Was great to see Thompson come out with a big game. We have a lot of options and weapons on the field at one time, now. Must drive a DC crazy.

ngineer
November 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
What's the Rams' strategy going to be to deal with the Mountain Hawks? Can we have a 'Bronx cheer'? :D

LBPop
November 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Having seen Lehigh beat up the Hoyas and seen the Hoyas stage a big comeback vs. Fordham, here are my impressions:

Fordham's quick scores vs. Georgetown were largely due to unexplainable Hoya mistakes. Actually, you saw a nice sampling of that same stuff on Saturday. All credit to Fordham for cashing in on those mistakes, but the difference was that the Lehigh defense was too good to allow Georgetown a chance at a comeback. Also, the Lehigh offense was good enough to score on their own, even when the Hoyas did not hand them outstanding field position.

If Lehigh pays attention and waits until Saturday night to think about Lafayette, they should control Fordham. Yes, the Fordham RB can be dangerous and the QB will flash occasionally. Everyone has a player or two, but Lehigh is just too good a team to lose to Fordham...even in the Bronx.

In appreciation to 13 for his temporary support of Georgetown, I will root for Fordham on Saturday. But please show the Hoyas some mercy when your guys "Raid" DC the following week. :o

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
In appreciation to 13 for his temporary support of Georgetown, I will root for Fordham on Saturday. But please show the Hoyas some mercy when your guys "Raid" DC the following week. :o

Hey - I'm still a fan this week! It's OOC!

Next week though, you're on your own. ;)

JohnG
November 8th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I was wondering if anybody could recommend the best way to get up there from Lehigh. I was looking at Fordham's website and it said there was no parking on campus but some garage nearby, also I'm not a big fan of driving in the New York city, so is there a good spot to drive to and then take public transportation from?

As far as the game goes I think it is very important for everybody to keep focussed on Fordham and not look ahead to Lafayette because a loss this week means the Lafayette game wont mean much of anything. (well except for the fact that it is Lafayette)

Go Mountain Hawks (or Engineers if you prefer)

ngineer
November 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I was wondering if anybody could recommend the best way to get up there from Lehigh. I was looking at Fordham's website and it said there was no parking on campus but some garage nearby, also I'm not a big fan of driving in the New York city, so is there a good spot to drive to and then take public transportation from?

As far as the game goes I think it is very important for everybody to keep focussed on Fordham and not look ahead to Lafayette because a loss this week means the Lafayette game wont mean much of anything. (well except for the fact that it is Lafayette)

If you can, the South Side Boosters are running two buses to the Bronx. However, you have to join ($10). There were only a couple open seats last weekend. Otherwise, take I-287 to the GW Bridge-once you cross it's not too far--look for signs for Bronx Zoo--its' right across the street from the campus. If you go to Fordhams's website, I'm sure they have map/directions available.

JohnG
November 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
If you can, the South Side Boosters are running two buses to the Bronx. However, you have to join ($10). There were only a couple open seats last weekend. Otherwise, take I-287 to the GW Bridge-once you cross it's not too far--look for signs for Bronx Zoo--its' right across the street from the campus. If you go to Fordhams's website, I'm sure they have map/directions available.
Do you have there phone number? I couldnt find it when I was looking for it.

ngineer
November 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Do you have there phone number? I couldnt find it when I was looking for it.

Check out your PM

JohnG
November 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Check out your PM
thanks

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Leaving tomorrow at 9 AM for da' Bronx. Joe--where ya been this week--missed getting some stones from the some 'seven blocks of granite'..Weather looks good --sunny and near 60 degrees. Will check back later tonight for any last minute t'oughts. Lehigh 38-13...

JoltinJoe
November 11th, 2005, 05:08 PM
ngineer, I've been pretty busy, and unable to keep up with all the details of the team this year.

I know we were devastated with injuries on the O line this year. So much so that we had even had to cancel a JV game because so many guys had moved up, we couldn't stack a JV line.

I don't know if the efforts in the last two games means that we've recovered some of those players. I have seen the last two games and the O line looked good. Prydatko had a huge game against Bucknell, getting over 200 yards with plenty of room to run. But it could be that we were playing some lesser competition too, so we just looked better.

Lehigh will be a big test for us. A win would give us a 3-3 conference record, which (along with a win against a quality opponent) is something we could hang our hats on for next year.

It's been a tough year for the Rams, though, and generally speaking, we've been laying low.

I don't know if I'm going to get there tomorrow, but perhaps I'll get over there with my son. I'll be late though, because we have t-ball and pee wee sports in the morning.

If there's anything you may need to know to make your trip more enjoyable, let me know. I'll be hanging around my computer at home tonight doing some work, and I'll be checking in. The best Italian restaurants in New York are in the Belmont section of the Bronx, only minutes away from campus. My favorite is Roberto's, but they are all excellent. Anyway, try the veal, it's the best in the city. ;)

As for parking, space on campus is pretty tight because one of the lots is out of commission while the school is building a multi-level parking garage. So this year the school is not allowing game-day parking on campus, unless you have a parking pass. If you get there early enough, you may be able to park at the Bronx Botanical Gardens, which is right across the street from Coffey Stadium. Otherwise, security will direct you to the Fordham Plaza parking lot, which is adjacent to the South end of the campus near the Third Avenue gate. It is about a 10-minute walk across campus from the Gate to the football field.

JoltinJoe
November 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM

If you don't want to drive in the city, drive to a location where you can get a train to Grand Central Station. You can then take a MetroNorth train from Grand Central Station (I believe it is the Westchester line). Fordham is one of the earlier stops. I hear about 20 minutes.

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 09:57 PM
ngineer, I've been pretty busy, and unable to keep up with all the details of the team this year.

I know we were devastated with injuries on the O line this year. So much so that we had even had to cancel a JV game because so many guys had moved up, we couldn't stack a JV line.

I don't know if the efforts in the last two games means that we've recovered some of those players. I have seen the last two games and the O line looked good. Prydatko had a huge game against Bucknell, getting over 200 yards with plenty of room to run. But it could be that we were playing some lesser competition too, so we just looked better.

Lehigh will be a big test for us. A win would give us a 3-3 conference record, which (along with a win against a quality opponent) is something we could hang our hats on for next year.

It's been a tough year for the Rams, though, and generally speaking, we've been laying low.

I don't know if I'm going to get there tomorrow, but perhaps I'll get over there with my son. I'll be late though, because we have t-ball and pee wee sports in the morning.

If there's anything you may need to know to make your trip more enjoyable, let me know. I'll be hanging around my computer at home tonight doing some work, and I'll be checking in. The best Italian restaurants in New York are in the Belmont section of the Bronx, only minutes away from campus. My favorite is Roberto's, but they are all excellent. Anyway, try the veal, it's the best in the city. ;)

As for parking, space on campus is pretty tight because one of the lots is out of commission while the school is building a multi-level parking garage. So this year the school is not allowing game-day parking on campus, unless you have a parking pass. If you get there early enough, you may be able to park at the Bronx Botanical Gardens, which is right across the street from Coffey Stadium. Otherwise, security will direct you to the Fordham Plaza parking lot, which is adjacent to the South end of the campus near the Third Avenue gate. It is about a 10-minute walk across campus from the Gate to the football field.

Good to hear from you. You post is what I thought--and which I'm concerned--that your earlier injuries have healed up and your back to where everyone thought you guys would be pre-season. We're battlling a bunch of injuries right now. Both DE's are down,one LB and one CB. Offense is in decent shape,though.
Thanks for the restaurant tips and transportation. I had heard about the parking problems. Three years ago at the great OT game, I had no problem getting to Fordham, BUT the trip home was horrendous with traffic. So this time I'm riding on one of the booster buses--it's like a rolling bar, so we'll be fully fueled by game time ;) Buses will be leaving right after game, so I'll have to defer on Roberto's, will keep it in mind for '07.
Despite the injuries, I'm sticking with my original prediction, 38-13. We've had our 'youngsters' step up before, and I expect at this juncture, sophomores are almost juniors experiencewise. Here's to a solid game.

JoltinJoe
November 12th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Three years ago at the great OT game, I had no problem getting to Fordham, BUT the trip home was horrendous with traffic.

It's unfortunate fact about traffic in the Bronx. One dope on the Cross Bronx Expressway can tie up traffic for a good long time.

You seem to recall that 2002 OT game with far greater fondness than I do.