PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 CAA Power Rankings

JmuSkinsfan
October 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Haven't seen any CAA rankings yet this season. Thought it would be fun for discussion.

#1: James Madison (4-0) - Have to be the clear favorites so far to win the conference. Beat #3 UMass at home and #5 Richmond on the road. Plus a big OOC win against #1 ASU. Villanova in 2 weeks, like every game, will be the most important of the season. This is actually the one game I was afraid of coming into the season and predicted us to lose on our way to 9-2 and a seed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

#2: Villanova (2-0) - Knocked off one #1 team in Richmond a couple weeks ago. Will have another shot at #1 in two weeks against JMU. Their defense scares me.

#3: Richmond (2-2) - Their record really doesn't speak for how good they are. Thus far they have lost to the #1 and #2 teams in my power rankings and both games were very close. That is why they don't fall below either of the top two teams from the north.

#4: Massachusetts (2-1) - Have started to play better. When they start getting into the meat of the northern conference they should get that win total up. They will have a very tough outing against Richmond this weekend, and while I like their team, I think UR takes it from them.

#5: William & Mary (1-1) - I really think this team is on its way back to being a conference contender. They obviously have the misfortune of being in the southern conference, where I think they finish 4th, but they are a solid team that could upset a couple more before the year is done.

#6: New Hampshire (1-1) - I think their loss to W&M won't look nearly as bad as the year progresses. I'm not sold on W&M as a playoff team, YET, but they certainly aren't the same Tribe teams we have seen the last couple years. UNH will rebound and I expect them to finish 5-3 in the end.

#7: Northeastern (1-1) - There is something in the water in Boston. I can never quite put my finger on this team. Last year I had them pinned as the worst team in the CAA heading into their game with JMU and was floored by their performance in a close 21-14 loss to JMU at Parsons. They always seem to hang in the middle of the pack and upset a couple top teams each year. Plus they hung in at Georgia Southern which is impressive.

#8: Maine (1-2) - Maybe Maine is really good. Or maybe Delaware sucks. Either way, Maine is a better than average team. I like the way they play defense, but their quarterback (from what I saw when they played JMU) is nothing too impressive.

#9: Delaware (1-2) - I guess we are learning that you can't always succeed with transfers from FBS. I think the folks up in Hens country got spoiled with Flacco. Maybe you will succeed someday with home-grown talent at QB.

#10: Towson (1-2) - Still not seeing much from the Tigers. I haven't seen them play but, as expected pre-season, they are at the bottom of the tough South.

#11: Hofstra (1-1) - They showed me nothing two weeks ago. Honestly, I have no analysis, besides they played awful.

#12: Rhode Island (0-3) - Who was it that said Tim Cassidy is the best team in the conference? Lol. Well, if he is, he needs a lot of help. I am, however, surprised by how "smooth" the transition has been to the new offense. If only they could play defense.

umassfan
October 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM
UMass has a 16 game home winning streak so Richmond will have their hands full. Plus I will be at the game and UMass hasn't lost a reg season game that I have seen in the last 5 years :D

Tribe4SF
October 13th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Delaware is 0-2 in conference play.

JMU DUUUKES
October 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Although the direct W/Ls dont reflect it maybe, I still think UD is better than Northeastern. Also i think URI is better than Hofstra. But overall I agree with that.

Longhorn
October 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Although the direct W/Ls dont reflect it maybe, I still think UD is better than Northeastern. Also i think URI is better than Hofstra. But overall I agree with that.

Sorry to disagree, but Northeastern has a QB and a RB. Until UD comes up with at least one of each Northeastern is the better team.

appfan2008
October 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
#9: Delaware (1-2) - I guess we are learning that you can't always succeed with transfers from FBS. I think the folks up in Hens country got spoiled with Flacco. Maybe you will succeed someday with home-grown talent at QB.

Nice slap in the Hens fans faces

GannonFan
October 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
It's all good. We sucked in '06, then went to Chatty in '07, and we have plenty of talent back in '09. The RB isn't the problem, it's the QB, and we may start seeing the guy who could be the '09 QB soon in Hakes (came to UD late in the summer so wasn't in the initial QB battle). Better arm and better talent than either guy we have now. Plus the schedule is far more favorable for the Hens next year. Smack away this year, but things can and do turn quite quickly in the CAA. If I remember correctly, even people in this thread were saying how UD had no shot to do half of what they did in '07. xcoffeex

Col Hogan
October 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
It's all good. We sucked in '06, then went to Chatty in '07, and we have plenty of talent back in '09. The RB isn't the problem, it's the QB, and we may start seeing the guy who could be the '09 QB soon in Hakes (came to UD late in the summer so wasn't in the initial QB battle). Better arm and better talent than either guy we have now. Plus the schedule is far more favorable for the Hens next year. Smack away this year, but things can and do turn quite quickly in the CAA. If I remember correctly, even people in this thread were saying how UD had no shot to do half of what they did in '07. xcoffeex

While UD is obviously having a down year in 08, anyone who discards the Hens obviously doesn't know CAA/A-10 football...xrulesx

I'm looking forward to a trip to the Tub next year to see UMass and Delaware...last time I saw them was the triple overtime loss that still stings...xbawlingx

For the record...there are lots of threads on various boards about conference break-ups...or movement up to FBS...I for one hope UMass and UD somehow stay together because I think this is a pair of schools that match up real well...even though UD has a good lead in the series...xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM
While UD is obviously having a down year in 08, anyone who discards the Hens obviously doesn't know CAA/A-10 football...xrulesx

I'm looking forward to a trip to the Tub next year to see UMass and Delaware...last time I saw them was the triple overtime loss that still stings...xbawlingx

For the record...there are lots of threads on various boards about conference break-ups...or movement up to FBS...I for one hope UMass and UD somehow stay together because I think this is a pair of schools that match up real well...even though UD has a good lead in the series...xthumbsupx

Well, there's no indication right now that UD wants to or is considering a move to FBS. Heck, UD was one of the leaders in making the CAA an all-sports conference in the first place so they've only demonstrated a desire to group with the schools in the conference.

Yup, UD sucks in '08. Looks to be a roller coaster ride with Keeler teams - some years will be bad, and some years will be fantastic. Nothing a good QB can't fix and by this time next year we could have one.

I too look forward to UMass coming to town (and not just because we win a lot of those matchups) - it's always great seeing the UMass band. For my money, they're the best band I've ever seen live and always bummed that we just get to see them in Newark once every 4 years now. Next year can't come soon enough for the Hens.

89Hen
October 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
xnodx I warned you all six weeks ago that you better hope the Hens don't go 6-6 this year. xsmiley_wix

2002: 6-6 with a new transfer QB
2003: National Champs

2006: 6-5 with a new transfer QB
2007: National Runner-up

89Hen
October 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Yup, UD sucks in '08. Looks to be a roller coaster ride with Keeler teams - some years will be bad, and some years will be fantastic. Nothing a good QB can't fix and by this time next year we could have one.
I'll take the roller coaster and trips to Chatty every few years over plodding along with good but not great seasons. :)