PDA

View Full Version : Colgate/Lafayette--How wuz it??

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
We know the score, 18-15; but how did you see the game (for those of you who were there or watched on tv)?
13--You've now had the vantage of seeing both Lehigh and Lafayette. What's your take on the 141st meeting two weeks from now?? (knowing you'll be cheering for those spotted pussycats). ;)

colgate13
November 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I was not there in person. I listened on the radio.

My take is the Leopard defense is very good. This game could have easily been theirs and neither team really took advantage of turnovers.

The 141st is up in the air IMO. The Lafayette Defense played better than we did against you. They really don't have a weak spot. It's the offense. I think they need to put up at least 24 to beat Lehigh - more like 35. I just don't see how they can do it.

But I was so sure that Lehigh would cream Lafayette last year, and look at how right I was! Let's go Pards - and Rams! ;)

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Yes--I'm not forgetting about the Rams. They seem to have found their mojo the last two weeks.
But Lafayette will have to beat us in the air. our front 7 has been very strong against the run.
The PA announcer at Goodman was very dramatic while giving the Raider/Leopard scores...Big roar at the end. :)

colgate13
November 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Lafayette was most effective in the air today. I think Mauer had a career day - or close to it.

I just don't know how they can keep pace with you. it will take some magic.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I just noticed the attendance was only 7,683? Sunny, 75 degree day in Easton, biggest game of the year and only 7600 showed up? Lafayette also had 4900 against Princeton, 4300 against Bucknell and 5200 against Richmond. Why the lack of support for the 'Pards? Biggest crowd of the year was 8900 against Harvard.

ngineer
November 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
When you think about it, 7600 isn't all that bad. Lafayette's student body is only around 2400 and I doubt more than half the students show up at a football game.. Colgate is small, and likely didn't have a huge following there.
I would expect LC to draw between 5-8,000 regularly with a good team, which they have. They haven't been a 'draw' with the townsfolk for decades. There has been a real chasm between the school and the city. Easton is basically a 'blue collar' town, and the hoyty-toyty rich kids up on the Hill do not get much attention from the citizenry.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM
When you think about it, 7600 isn't all that bad. Lafayette's student body is only around 2400 and I doubt more than half the students show up at a football game.. Colgate is small, and likely didn't have a huge following there.
I would expect LC to draw between 5-8,000 regularly with a good team, which they have. They haven't been a 'draw' with the townsfolk for decades. There has been a real chasm between the school and the city. Easton is basically a 'blue collar' town, and the hoyty-toyty rich kids up on the Hill do not get much attention from the citizenry.

I went to Lafayette/Princeton, and I too was surprised at the "low" turnout there, especially with a fairly local team unable to bring up a huge contingent of fans. It was a challenge to frame pictures so it didn't look cavernous!

Call me naive, I think just some good improvements to the field, and some creative promotions, might do wonders for attendance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I went to Lafayette/Princeton, and I too was surprised at the "low" turnout there, especially with a fairly local team unable to bring up a huge contingent of fans. It was a challenge to frame pictures so it didn't look cavernous!

Call me naive, I think just some good improvements to the field, and some creative promotions, might do wonders for attendance.

The Princeton game was during Lafayette's block party which i think is actually a pretty cool idea given Lafayette's neighborhood location. Unfortunately 4900 showed up for the game and i guess everyone else stayed outside to eat some burgers and hot dogs. Holy Cross i think will have the second best attendance this year behind Lehigh. Over 11,000 showed up for their game against Colgate. Lehigh's average attendance will be severely skewd because of the Holy Cross game.

lugo02
November 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM
... There has been a real chasm between the school and the city. Easton is basically a 'blue collar' town, and the hoyty-toyty rich kids up on the Hill do not get much attention from the citizenry.

Substitute Bethlehem for Easton and you will be describing the Lehigh /Bethlehem relationship

lugo02
November 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM
... There has been a real chasm between the school and the city. Easton is basically a 'blue collar' town, and the hoyty-toyty rich kids up on the Hill do not get much attention from the citizenry.

Substitute Bethlehem for Easton and you will be describing the Lehigh /Bethlehem relationship

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2005, 09:23 PM
As far as watching the game while at it, it was fairly unexciting until the 4th Quarter. And even then it was saved by flashes of brilliance more than good, consistant plays. That missed FG at the end was pretty close, I thought. The kicker certainly had the distance, what a rough way to lose the game.

Some other random thoughts: Lafayette's D was impressive at times, while Colgate didn't really look "into it" for most of the game. Don't know if the pass defense needed some work, or Mauer just did a great job finding open recievers (although there were plenty of those, it seemed). The Leopards also threw the ball much more than I was expecting. Don't know if that was a gameplan decision to keep the D honest or what, but for the most part it seemed effective. However, Lafayette did seem more comfortable when running the ball. I can see how they're an effective ball control team. If they can pound the ball and control TOP, like last year, they'll have a shot at beating Lehigh.

The Streak is comin' mighty close to ending, it seems. Last year Colgate hangs on to win with a blocked FG, this year with a missed FG. One of these times, they're going to make it :eek:

ngineer
November 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I disagree. I live outside of Easton, and worked in Bethlehem for a number of years. Yes, there have been some strains between Lehigh and the City, but nowhere near the estrangement between the Lafayette campus and Easton. Lehigh used to get a good turnout of 'southsiders' for all athletic events until most went over to the valley. The South Side Boosters Club is still a pretty active organization, although it is a mix of 'townies', alums and parents.