PDA

View Full Version : OC/DC coaches, FCS fans please chime in

mtgrizfan4life
October 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
First of all, my intent is not to turn this into a coaching bashing thread, but honest opinions from fans from all over FCS nation.

1st of all, Congrats to the GRIZ defensive coaches and players for an outstanding effort against EWU. I am amazed at the improvement, and even more amazed it happened in one damn week! Last week most GRIZNATION was disappointed in the defense overall. IT got to the point where our fans were questioning that side of the ball and coaching creativity, schemeing, and execution (imagine that a Griz fan questioning coaching). We were asking where was the hard hitting beyond Colt Anderson? Where were the blitzes? Where were the schemes? Why so Vanilla? Where was the creativity to throw offenses off? Where was the element of surprise?

I can only speak for myself. This fan only expected a few wrinkles added game to game and improvement be progressive by season's end. With that said, this group proved me wrong. They did all the above in one damn week!!! I have never seen such a turnaround in that short of a period on any side of the ball at any level. As a fan, you have to admit it is quite amazing. The improvement also came against one of the best offenses in the nation. The opponent fared better against Texas Tech and Colorado than it did against the GRIZ. Enough Kudos to the GRIZ DEFENSE and coaching.

As for FCS fans, I wonder what problems your programs have? Is one side of the ball outstanding, yet the otherside so inconsistent it costs your team dearly? Does your fanbase actually see obvious problems with logical and possible solutions, yet a stubborn staff not willing to change or experiment for the better?

As a GRIZ fan, I do not understand how one side of the ball can be willing to make changes and experiment in hopes to improve, yet on the other side of the ball, years later we still are so disappointingly inconsistent? If it were a head coaching problem, how could one side of the ball be given such a greenlight to change things up? The other side of the ball never change or try simple things? Serously our offense next to never runs a simple dive, slant, quick outs/ins, flares, screens, wheel routes, and QB sacks have been a problem through 3 QB regimes now. The one that was successful was only due to his ability to audible.

Is it possible for one side of the ball be so willing to make changes for the better and the other be nothing but stubborn and stupid? Thanks to the GRIZ defense, I again have high expectations! I know they too will have an occasional mistake, but I have faith the consistency and effort will always be there. I cannot say the same about offense. Imagine how good the GRIZ would be if offensively we utilized slants, quick hit patterns, screens, dives, flares, safety valves, and whieel routes? As a fan of any team, are simple things like this too much to ask/expect? Why as fan do I now expect the lack of offensive consistency, playcalling, and execution yet be our downfall again come the playoffs?

How is it elsewhere around the nation? How can it be that Applachian State has struggled in the regular season but the last 3 years come playoff time they are at the top of their game? What has seperated them from the GRIZ and rest of the nation? What other programs out there have always had one side of the ball or one coach hold them back? Did the program/head coach not make changes or demand for better? If changes were made, what changes were made? Was it coaching changes, personnel changes, improved execution, more variety, etc?

For those that have watched the GRIZ in Hauck's time here, please post your honest opinions as to what is holding the GRIZ back? What things have you noticed that we could improve on? Is it the playcalling, lack of execution, lack of personnel, lack of creativity, etc? I understand teams struggle from time to time, but this has been going on for over 5 years now regarding the GRIZ offense.

I welcome all posters, but my intent is to hear from more than just GRIZ fans. Had I wanted just GRIZ fans input, I would have left this to EGRIZ only. Thanks all!

kirkblitz
October 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I encourage you to look at coastal. we have given up 2000 yards in our last 4 losses, we are ranked in the bottom 20 in defense in the country and it was the exact same last year. Of course our offense isn't doing to much better. But our head coach is to busy filming commercials and talk about his christian values to care :(

We are only 2 years removed from our playoff run in 2006 and our program has been completely ran into the ground almost with all of the arrests and losses we have suffered ( biggest one in coastal big south history saturday!) . I don't expect any changes because our head coach has had the same coordinators for 11 years through his D2 and no I-AA years xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

mtgrizfan4life
October 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Kirk, out of curiosity, what changes do your fans want? What kind of things do you suggest?

kirkblitz
October 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
At least a new D coordinator, i think the majority of our fans have realized we dont have the best staff anymore like they thought we did. At the liberty game our O coordinator called a qb draw 6 times in a ROW; Only to end up losing about 30 yards. for the first time ever the whole stadium booed our coachs.

Really both sides of the ball are bad and getting worse. I am not sure any changes can be made at all unless a change at the top is made with the head coach though.

I just wanted to toss this out there, ever since our head coach got a pay raise and a contract extension along with a huge buyout clause he has had a losing :(

8-10

mtgrizfan4life
October 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Did he go to school with our OC, Rob Phencie? I hope it gets better for your fans sooner than later.

JALMOND
October 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
First of all, my intent is not to turn this into a coaching bashing thread, but honest opinions from fans from all over FCS nation.

1st of all, Congrats to the GRIZ defensive coaches and players for an outstanding effort against EWU. I am amazed at the improvement, and even more amazed it happened in one damn week! Last week most GRIZNATION was disappointed in the defense overall. IT got to the point where our fans were questioning that side of the ball and coaching creativity, schemeing, and execution (imagine that a Griz fan questioning coaching). We were asking where was the hard hitting beyond Colt Anderson? Where were the blitzes? Where were the schemes? Why so Vanilla? Where was the creativity to throw offenses off? Where was the element of surprise?

I can only speak for myself. This fan only expected a few wrinkles added game to game and improvement be progressive by season's end. With that said, this group proved me wrong. They did all the above in one damn week!!! I have never seen such a turnaround in that short of a period on any side of the ball at any level. As a fan, you have to admit it is quite amazing. The improvement also came against one of the best offenses in the nation. The opponent fared better against Texas Tech and Colorado than it did against the GRIZ. Enough Kudos to the GRIZ DEFENSE and coaching.

As for FCS fans, I wonder what problems your programs have? Is one side of the ball outstanding, yet the otherside so inconsistent it costs your team dearly? Does your fanbase actually see obvious problems with logical and possible solutions, yet a stubborn staff not willing to change or experiment for the better?

As a GRIZ fan, I do not understand how one side of the ball can be willing to make changes and experiment in hopes to improve, yet on the other side of the ball, years later we still are so disappointingly inconsistent? If it were a head coaching problem, how could one side of the ball be given such a greenlight to change things up? The other side of the ball never change or try simple things? Serously our offense next to never runs a simple dive, slant, quick outs/ins, flares, screens, wheel routes, and QB sacks have been a problem through 3 QB regimes now. The one that was successful was only due to his ability to audible.

Is it possible for one side of the ball be so willing to make changes for the better and the other be nothing but stubborn and stupid? Thanks to the GRIZ defense, I again have high expectations! I know they too will have an occasional mistake, but I have faith the consistency and effort will always be there. I cannot say the same about offense. Imagine how good the GRIZ would be if offensively we utilized slants, quick hit patterns, screens, dives, flares, safety valves, and whieel routes? As a fan of any team, are simple things like this too much to ask/expect? Why as fan do I now expect the lack of offensive consistency, playcalling, and execution yet be our downfall again come the playoffs?

How is it elsewhere around the nation? How can it be that Applachian State has struggled in the regular season but the last 3 years come playoff time they are at the top of their game? What has seperated them from the GRIZ and rest of the nation? What other programs out there have always had one side of the ball or one coach hold them back? Did the program/head coach not make changes or demand for better? If changes were made, what changes were made? Was it coaching changes, personnel changes, improved execution, more variety, etc?

For those that have watched the GRIZ in Hauck's time here, please post your honest opinions as to what is holding the GRIZ back? What things have you noticed that we could improve on? Is it the playcalling, lack of execution, lack of personnel, lack of creativity, etc? I understand teams struggle from time to time, but this has been going on for over 5 years now regarding the GRIZ offense.

I welcome all posters, but my intent is to hear from more than just GRIZ fans. Had I wanted just GRIZ fans input, I would have left this to EGRIZ only. Thanks all!

What we have at Portland State is the offense and defense are equally inconsistent. I said awhile back in the Big Sky preseason predictions that Portland State could finish anywhere from first to last in the conference. Hard to fault the coaches as the OC (Mouse Davis) and the DC (Jerry Glanville) both have more football knowledge in their left pinky finger than I have total. Our issues are the youth on the team and the idea of just to be patient. It worked for the Blazers, only time will tell if it works for the Vikings.

If I coould question the coaches about football, the only thing I have an issue is the unsettled quarterback situation. Hubel will stay back there and get rid of the ball at the last possible second (let the play develope). Howland gets "happy feet" (maybe due to his two major knee injuries the last couple years) and has a tendency to give up on the O-line too early. If we are gearing towards the future, let Hubel play and grow with the team. His two performances against Weber last year and Eastern this year has shown that he has the basic understanding of the run and shoot, that is throw the ball to the receiver and let him catch it.