PDA

View Full Version : My Playoff Picks before the day is even over

LUHawker
November 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM
A-10 3 Bids (UNH, UMass, Richmond)
PL - 1 Bid (Lehigh)
SoCon - 3 Bids (App St., Furman, Ga. Southern)
MEAC - 1 Bid (Hampton)
OVC - 1 Bid (E. Illinois)
Southland - 1 Bid (Texas St.)
Gateway - At least 2 bids (So. Illinois and W. Kentucky)
Big Sky - At least 2 bids (Montana and E. Washington)

That leaves two bids left and I think Coastal Carolina gets one of them, so we're left with one bid for several qualified candidates. I've picked E. Washington, so that implies that Cal-Poly is out, leaving 3 conferences to vie for 1 final bid. IMO that means a Gateway, Big Sky or Patriot League team. The only way the PL even is considered for a second bid is if Lafayette defeats Lehigh in the season finale making Colgate the auto bid recipient. LU has some history with the committee and a few decent wins, but its a mighty stretch, so I'm putting a PL bubble team on the outside looking in. That forces the final bid up for grabs between Montana St. and Youngstown St. Again, since I've already picked E. Washington to get in that would imply a victory over Mont. St. and give the bid to the Gateway and Youngstown St. While there is quite a bit of football left to play, it seems that the Big Sky with special emphasis on E. Wash, in particular, is the lynchpin for the final bid.

Hansel
November 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM
It's mathematically impossible for more than 2 BSC teams to have 3 or less losses

LUHawker
November 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
It's mathematically impossible for more than 2 BSC teams to have 3 or less losses

And that means that the price of eggs is what?

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Woe Woe WKU is having their problems at home. Tied; if UNI were somehow be able to win then WKU may actully lose out; they play YSU in Youngstown where the Penguins are 5-0 this year, them they go down to I-A Fla. International; Sure they aren't good but still if they are on a 3 game losing streak; they are in deep trouble.

WKU could lose out and finish 6-5; and if not that even 7-4 giving YSU the bid over them....

Still lets wait till tonight and see how it works out.

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Cal Poly is leading EWU at present, so much left to be determined....

putter
November 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
If Poly beats EWU and next week EWU beats Montana St. then the Cat-Griz game would be to see if the BSC gets 2 teams in (if Montana beast Sac next week). If the Griz win, I could see them potentially being the only BSC team in, unless PSU gets some love.

Hansel
November 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
PSU lost today, they are done

catbob
November 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
MSU and UM both control their own destinies. If both win next week, Cat/Griz is HUGE. But if both teams win their next games, I think both teams get in regardless of who wins.

PantherMan
November 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Woe Woe WKU is having their problems at home. Tied; if UNI were somehow be able to win then WKU may actully lose out; they play YSU in Youngstown where the Penguins are 5-0 this year, them they go down to I-A Fla. International; Sure they aren't good but still if they are on a 3 game losing streak; they are in deep trouble.

WKU could lose out and finish 6-5; and if not that even 7-4 giving YSU the bid over them....

Still lets wait till tonight and see how it works out.

If UNI wins next week, the Gateway will get 3 playoff teams in SIU, UNI, and the winner of WKU and YSU. If UNI loses, we get 2 bids with SIU and the winner of WKU and YSU. That's pretty much what it's going to come down to IMHO.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM
If UNI wins next week, the Gateway will get 3 playoff teams in SIU, UNI, and the winner of WKU and YSU. If UNI loses, we get 2 bids with SIU and the winner of WKU and YSU. That's pretty much what it's going to come down to IMHO.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM

Unless SIU loses to UNI and NDSU.....

which is doubtful......

GO GATEWAY!!!!!!!!

youwouldno
November 5th, 2005, 08:25 PM
How on earth would UNI get in??? 4 losses, and 1 non D-I win, and 1 mid major win?

Down with the Foe!
November 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Unless SIU loses to UNI and NDSU.....

which is doubtful......

GO GATEWAY!!!!!!!!

Maybe not both...but they could.

I think they lose one of those two games for sure.

Your heard it here first.

"DWTF's Stone cold lock"

:D :cool: :D

GO GRIZ!

strike00
November 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Huge game next week in the dome. Deja Vu.

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM
UNI will be 7-3 with a win over SIU next week. IF that happens....they get the GFC auto-bid into the playoffs........

GO GFC......GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!

youwouldno
November 5th, 2005, 08:48 PM
What's UNI's conference record?

crunifan
November 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
UNI is 4-2 in Gateway and 6-3 overall.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM
This is how UNI Gets in with a WIN.. They would have the best vs. the other possible playoff teams record... See they are 3-0 vs. SIU-WKU-YSU .. The others have 1-2-3 losses.

That be great to see 3 teams but I doubt it..

GO PENGUINS.. A WIN YOUR IN.

Coastal89
November 5th, 2005, 09:22 PM
E. Washington lost so they're out with at best 6 D-I wins.

ngineer
November 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Yeah--unreal. A lot of people were picking EWU to win the whole enchilada this year. Gotta be one of the most unpredictable years, ever.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
FYI, Nicholls has the inside track in the SLC now and could very well win the conference considering they have @ SELA and vs McN left...

TxSt has @ SFA and vs SHSU. They could win both as well, but lose out tiebreaker. If Nicholls wins conference and TxSt goes 2-0 from here on out, SLC is a two-bid league. Simple as that. You gonna turn away a 9-2 team?

lugo02
November 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM
UNI is 4-2 in Gateway and 6-3 overall.

How the hell does UNI gets in?
Even if they win their next 2 games they will only have 6 D-I wins

lugo02
November 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM
FYI, Nicholls has the inside track in the SLC now and could very well win the conference considering they have @ SELA and vs McN left...

TxSt has @ SFA and vs SHSU. They could win both as well, but lose out tiebreaker. If Nicholls wins conference and TxSt goes 2-0 from here on out, SLC is a two-bid league. Simple as that. You gonna turn away a 9-2 team?

A 9-2 team with 2, read two, i.e. 1+1 D-II wins

IMO Texas St and Youngstown St are the 2 most overrated teams this year and neither will make it in

Down with the Foe!
November 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM

it would not be the first time would it?

Cal poly?

Down with the Foe!
November 5th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Ya, but if Hampton is a seeded team...and say a YSU or whoever 3rd team from the A-10, Gateway, BSC, SoCon will absolutely wipe them out.

SO who can say - this is a crazy year. That's why we play em all.

My OL coach in college used to say:

"We ain't here to sell hotdogs...get yer a$$ out there and play some ball"

:p :rolleyes: :p (I loved that man)

Go Griz

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM
A 9-2 team with 2, read two, i.e. 1+1 D-II wins

IMO Texas St and Youngstown St are the 2 most overrated teams this year and neither will make it in

overrated? come on man. you obviously haven't paid attention to our games. loss @ KYLE FIELD to D-IA TAMU by 13, loss in OT @ SLC-leader Nicholls St. What's so bad about that? both those teams are good...

and the slc isn't exactly a cupcake league. hell, sfa (currently in the slc cellar!) beat #21 UC-Davis tonight. sam and sela are very dangerous on ANY night--just two examples.

look who we've beaten--McNeese by 42, NwSt. by 15, SUU by 30+, SDSU by 30...ask those teams if we're "overrated."

not trying to sound "cocky," i just don't get where you say we're overrated. care to explain?

siugrad99
November 5th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Because you would be middle of the pack at best in the A10, Gateway or Big Sky, don't hate me for saying it, but it is truth. Your conference is down compared to the big 3 or 4 so your potential 9-2 probably would be a 7-4 or 6-5 in another conference. That being said, make the playoffs and beat someone and then you will start to get the respect you feel you deserve.

PantherMan
November 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM

If we win our next two, we have 7 D-I W's. We could however get in with 6 wins if we beat SIU next week and then lose to NAU the final week of the season (very unlikely). A win next week seals a co-Gateway championship with SIU, and we would win the head-to-head tiebreaker. IF UNI gets in the playoffs, the Panthers could potentially be the worst first round opponent for whoever is unlucky enough to draw them. With the defense finally stepping things up, the Panthers have turned the season around completely! Regardless to say, an 8-3 UNI team would most likely warrant an At-Large anyway. This is all a bunch of "Ifs and Buts" until the game next week is decided though; SIU at UNI is going to be the game of the week in IAA.

crunifan
November 5th, 2005, 10:35 PM

What are you talking about so far they have beaten Drake, Western Illinois, Indiana State, Youngstown State, and Western Kentucky. There are five division 1 teams right there. Then if they beat Southern Illinois and Northern Arizona you have seven. Drake is non scholarship, but they are still division 1.

McNeese75
November 5th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Because you would be middle of the pack at best in the A10, Gateway or Big Sky, don't hate me for saying it, but it is truth. Your conference is down compared to the big 3 or 4 so your potential 9-2 probably would be a 7-4 or 6-5 in another conference. That being said, make the playoffs and beat someone and then you will start to get the respect you feel you deserve.

That is BS!!!! The Gateway has flamed out of the playoffs the last couple years, The BSC does well (if they keep the homefield advantage) The A-10 playoff teams have been the most impressive mainly because how well they played on the road last year.

The Bobcats have the talent to hang with any of the teams in any of those leagues this year. They are certainly NOT overrated, especially to Lehigh or to SIU for that matter :eek:

GrizSweeper
November 5th, 2005, 11:19 PM

Eastern isn't quite out of it yet, they could still get in by winning the BSC automatic birth, to do this:
Eastern must beat Montana State next weekend
MSU would then in turn have to beat Montana which creates a three way tie at the top (assuming UM beats Sacramento State next week)
Eastern would then own wins over both MSU and UM giving them the auto bid

catbob
November 5th, 2005, 11:20 PM
EWU can still win the BSC autobid.

GrizSweeper
November 5th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Dont let your bobcats let that happen though, I'm hopin the Brawl of the Wild will be played for the outright championship

bkrownd
November 6th, 2005, 12:08 AM
That is BS!!!! The Gateway has flamed out of the playoffs the last couple years,

THIS year's regular season results are all that matter. There are no brownie points for seasons that are dead and gone.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2005, 12:14 AM
How Gateway Sets Up

- If SIU Wins they win the Gateway Outright; UNI Season is Done
- If SIU Wins then the winner of WKU/YSU should get the at large bid.

- If UNI Wins they win the Gateway outright; Sets up tie between SIU and YSU/WKU winner; If WKU Loses they are done and if they win they still have to beat I-A Fl. International to have any shot at the playoffs.

So SIU is in the best situation win or lose of making playoffs.

UNI Controls their Own Destiny
YSU with a UNI loss looks secure for at large as #2 in the GFC.
WKU must win out and they probably will make playoffs because you just beat a I-A Team but who knows.

PantherMan
November 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
How Gateway Sets Up

- If SIU Wins they win the Gateway Outright; UNI Season is Done
- If SIU Wins then the winner of WKU/YSU should get the at large bid.

- If UNI Wins they win the Gateway outright; Sets up tie between SIU and YSU/WKU winner; If WKU Loses they are done and if they win they still have to beat I-A Fl. International to have any shot at the playoffs.

So SIU is in the best situation win or lose of making playoffs.

UNI Controls their Own Destiny
YSU with a UNI loss looks secure for at large as #2 in the GFC.
WKU must win out and they probably will make playoffs because you just beat a I-A Team but who knows.

I'm starting to feel bad correcting your analysis', but here goes again. SIU is not in the best situation win or lose. They lose in the Dome this week, they MUST win vs. NDSU to have a shot at the playoffs. The best situation actually belongs to the winner of UNI/SIU, as the WINNER of the game is the ONLY Gateway team that will be GUARANTEED to be in the playoffs.

placidlakegriz
November 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I'm starting to feel bad correcting your analysis', but here goes again. SIU is not in the best situation win or lose. They lose in the Dome this week, they MUST win vs. NDSU to have a shot at the playoffs. The best situation actually belongs to the winner of UNI/SIU, as the WINNER of the game is the ONLY Gateway team that will be GUARANTEED to be in the playoffs.

I'm rooting for you pantherman. Would love to have you'll come back to Montana for another visit.

PantherMan
November 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'm rooting for you pantherman. Would love to have you'll come back to Montana for another visit.

While I detest the fact that Montana would be a very likely place for UNI assuming we make the playoffs, at the same time simply making the field of 16 would be great the way our mid-season was going! Hopefully this time around though, our coach sends the tapes in a timely manner, and your fans hold on to their family memories caught on VHS rather than heaving them at our players... ;)