PDA

View Full Version : And the Wild Ride Begins...SLC 2008

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Can anyone imagine that this would be the situation in the SLC at this point in time? Sure, it's early -- but who would have imagined SFA would win a conference game this year? That McNeese would fall at home to the Bobcats? That the Pokes and Bearkats would have an 'elimination game' in week two? This is going to be a wild ride!

Last week...
at Stephen F. Austin 48-45 Southeastern Louisiana

This week...
Texas State University - San Marcos 45-42 at McNeese State
at Northwestern State 36-28 Nicholls State
at Central Arkansas 48-46 Sam Houston State

Next week...
SFA (1-0) at Nicholls (0-1)
UCA (1-0) at TXST (1-0)
McN (0-1) at SHSU (0-1)
NWST (1-0) at SLU (0-1)

SLC Standings
SFA 1-0
NWST 1-0
UCA 1-0
TXST 1-0
SLU 0-1
SHSU 0-1
McN 0-1
Nich 0-1

slycat
October 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Its crazy how every season is nuts in the SLC. Who knew Southland TV would have picked such an important game next week.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Looking over some things I'm putting together...

3 of 4 games decided by FG or less.
Each of those three games saw each team involved score 42+ points.

slostang
October 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Looking over some things I'm putting together...

3 of 4 games decided by FG or less.
Each of those three games saw each team involved score 42+ points.

Great offense or bad defense? Or is it a little of both?

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM

There are some great offenses. Those games with 40+ points all have great QBs -- yes, even Bradley George -- though he's inconsistent. I'd go to war with Jeremy Moses, Brian Babin, Rhett Bomar, Derrick Fourroux and Nathan Brown against any team in FCS.

Defenses are pretty suspect, but you have got to wonder if they are just being exploited by the best offensive players we've seen in the SLC in some time.

We know TXST has no defense -- see what Bobby Reid did to them compared to what he did to Southern tonight. Not certain Nicholls is game-ready just yet and of course, SLU and SFA both have had major collapses (though one could argue in both cases, the offense or special teams had something to do with it). Nothing is clear...though great offenses are aplenty!

Lionsrking
October 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Combination of both, but there's no question the offenses across the board have improved greatly...just about everybody in the league returned their starting QB from last year, except for Northwestern State.

msupokes1
October 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Not to take anything away from TX ST. there offense is good but McNeeses defense is terrible. Very soft and give up the short pass very easily. No way does McNeese have a top 25 defense. We will see how far we can ride our offense but it didn't work tonight.

blackfordpu
October 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
How far does McNeese fall in the polls?

Does SHSU deserve to get in after a showing like that against a top 15 team?

Do any teams in the SLC have a defense?

These are the questions that need to be answered. Next week's game is pretty much a must win for both teams if they want to take conference and go to the playoffs.

patssle
October 11th, 2008, 11:04 PM
POLL: Who has the best defense in the SLC?

ANSWER: NOBODY!

slycat
October 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
How far does McNeese fall in the polls?

Does SHSU deserve to get in after a showing like that against a top 15 team?

Do any teams in the SLC have a defense?

These are the questions that need to be answered. Next week's game is pretty much a must win for both teams if they want to take conference and go to the playoffs.

1. Mid teens in the poll

2. No but a win over McNeese next week would

3. No, its like the Big 12, all offense

Lionsrking
October 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
POLL: Who has the best defense in the SLC?

ANSWER: NOBODY!

I'll put our front seven up against anybody's but we give up way too many big plays...I think we'll continue to see shootouts for the rest of the year...everybody has offensive weapons.

BEAR
October 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I was floored however that Texas State beat McNeese! Congrats ! xbowx

If I was a betting individual and I had only one game to bet on in my life and had my life savings on it...I would have bet McNeese over Texas State....and I would be homeless right now...

Congrats! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Lionsrking
October 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I was floored however that Texas State beat McNeese! Congrats ! xbowx

If I was a betting individual and I had only one game to bet on in my life and had my life savings on it...I would have bet McNeese over Texas State....and I would be homeless right now...

Congrats! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

I'm surprised they beat them in Lake Charles, but when you think about all the circumstances, it's not that big of shock to me...McNeese had a brutally tough game last week at SD State, and lost one of their best offensive weapons in Quentin Lawrence...it's tough bouncing back after a game like that, not to mention Texas State can score...just goes to show there are no easy games in the SLC.

chrisattsu
October 11th, 2008, 11:56 PM
1. Mid teens in the poll

2. No but a win over McNeese next week would

3. No, its like the Big 12, all offense

Its the same way in Texas' D2 schools as well. All the other conferences give the Lone Star Conference crap because we produce tons of offense, and can't play defense when it comes to the playoffs

Retro
October 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
It used to be where in the SLC, the best teams had strong defenses, like Mcneese and Northwestern State.. Even SFA at times.. Along with that the teams then had average offenses...

Now, it appears everyone has at least a good if not great offense.... That may be a sign of a more wide open conference race, especially after what i say tonight, but it could be a blessing for whichever teams make the playoffs. In the past the SLC seem to struggle on offense in the playoffs, especially mcneese... Maybe the offensive explosion will put an SLC team or two deep into the playoffs for a change!

crossfire07
October 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I'm surprised they beat them in Lake Charles, but when you think about all the circumstances, it's not that big of shock to me...McNeese had a brutally tough game last week at SD State, and lost one of their best offensive weapons in Quentin Lawrence...it's tough bouncing back after a game like that, not to mention Texas State can score...just goes to show there are no easy games in the SLC.

I dont know why anyone is suprised they won. I'm not. they had only won the last 2 games now 3 they have played in lake charles and with the passing tools that just made it easier. their qb threw to 10 different guys. the ewu game was a pretty game compared to this one. total blowout. there are no easy games in the slc because there is no defense in the slc.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
These are the current SLC standings right now. The automatic bid is really up for grabs, especially if Southeastern La. gets the 'W' tonight at home against Northwestern State...

UCA 2-0
NWST 1-0
TXST 1-1
Nich 1-1
SFA 1-1
McN 1-1
SLU 0-1
SHSU 0-2

msupokes1
October 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
These are the current SLC standings right now. The automatic bid is really up for grabs, especially if Southeastern La. gets the 'W' tonight at home against Northwestern State...

UCA 2-0
NWST 1-0
TXST 1-1
Nich 1-1
SFA 1-1
McN 1-1
SLU 0-1
SHSU 0-2

Actually SFA is 2-0 and Nich is 0-2

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Actually SFA is 2-0 and Nich is 0-2

Your right.

SFA 2-0
UCA 2-0
NWST 1-0
TXST 1-1
McN 1-1
SLU 0-1
SHSU 0-2
Nich 0-2

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think the conference is notably stronger than it was last year. I think SFA may be getting better as the season goes along. I don't think McNeese is as strong as the Cowboys were last year but I don't think they're down all THAT much. And I think everybody else is better. I think it really is an "anybody can REALISTICALLY beat anybody" league this season.

With that situation along with the fact that UCA isn't elligible, I think that if there has ever been a year in which a team with two conference losses could get the automatic bid, this is the year.

I wouldn't count on that. And I'm really wanting McNeese to find a way to win out so the Cowboys will just have one conference loss. But I also wouldn't be shocked if it happens.

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
McNeese had a brutally tough game last week at SD State, and lost one of their best offensive weapons in Quentin Lawrence...

I know everybody has to deal with it but they also lost one of their other best offensive players early in the Texas State game when Immanuel Friddle went down. I'm hoping he comes back but as of through the Sam Houston game McNeese was playing without two of its top three receivers. And Friddle, I think, is their best pure receiver. He's big and fast, has great leaping ability, is very coordinated, and has great hands.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
This Week's Scores
Stephen F. Austin (2-0) 50-39 at Nicholls State (0-2)
McNeese State (1-1) 28-17 at Sam Houston State (1-1)
Central Arkansas (2-0) 31-14 at Texas State University - San Marcos (1-1)
at Southeastern Louisiana (1-1) 26-21 Northwestern State (1-1)

Next Week
Texas State University-San Marcos (1-1) at Stephen F. Austin (2-0)
Nicholls State (0-2) at McNeese State (1-1)
Southeastern Louisiana (1-1) at Central Arkansas (2-0)
Sam Houston State (0-2) at Northwestern State (1-1)

Standings
Stephen F. Austin 2-0
Central Arkansas 2-0
Texas State Univ-San Marcos 1-1
McNeese State 1-1
Southeastern Louisiana 1-1
Northwestern State 1-1
Nicholls State 0-2
Sam Houston State 0-2