PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, the A-10 and the SoCon look more like a 3 bid conferences this year.

LUHawker
November 5th, 2005, 06:12 PM
With UNH and UMass both winning today, I think those teams are probable playoff participants. Throw Richmond and W&M into the mix and I think you are looking at the A-10 putting 3 teams into the bracket once again. Appy St., Ga. Southern and Furman representing the SoCon and you've got over a third of the bracket filled out. Many bubble teams likely got bounced today. Unfortunately, I think that means a second Patriot League team was likely one of those, so you are looking at 4 teams from the Northeast ( yes, I am being a little bit liberal with my definition of Northeast by including Virginia, but the A-10 is classified as a Northeast conference).

blukeys
November 5th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I agree this is bad news for the PL but there is more football to be played. UNH is solid but Umass and Ricmond have a tough road.

In the past about 12 to 13 teams were in contention for the 8 at large playoff slots, My view is that number has gone to 20+ this year. With Cal Poly and Coastal in the mix that makes it much more difficult for a 2nd PL team or additional at large bids to any conference.

TigerFan17
November 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Don't count us out yet!

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
The Gateway could as well with WESTERN KENTUCKY-SOUTHERN ILLINOIS-YOUNGSTOWN STATE.

Down with the Foe!
November 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
one team or five....Phhhffffttttt!.

:D

All that matters is who hoist the hardware.

Don't look now but here come those Griz battling their way through the brutal Big Sky. (I always say...Don't bet against history when your talking about this program)

Go Griz

colgate13
November 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM
two more weeks to play my friends. I expect more upsets along the way...

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
W&M & Hofstra just got their 4th loss each... bye bye playoffs.

Believe it or not... Towson (6-3) still has a shot... they finish with Richmond and at JMU.

umassfan
November 6th, 2005, 01:39 AM
one team or five....Phhhffffttttt!.

All that matters is who hoist the hardware.

Don't look now but here come those Griz battling their way through the brutal Big Sky. (I always say...Don't bet against history when your talking about this program)

Go Griz
Didnt your offense only score 2 fgs today? Thats the last I heard anyway... but with that kind of offensive output... you wont beat many teams in the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Either Towson or Richmond has a shot, since they play each other next week and one will have 4 losses. I have a real hard time giving Towson an at-large bid, however, even if they win out at 8-3. Their "quality wins" would consist of Delaware and Richmond, while losing to UNH 62-21 and Bill & Mary 44-13 probably won't sit well with the committee. And their OOC of Lock Haven, Morgan St. and Liberty is pathetic.

Personally, I think a 8-3 Colgate team should make it in over an 8-3 Towson team.

So, hopefully, TOWSON WILL WIN BIG!!!! YES YES YES!!! :D

bkrownd
November 6th, 2005, 05:52 AM
The A-10 could fall to 2 playoff spots this year. Massachusetts and Richmond are at risk, and if they lose who really has the quality record to replace them? Only New Hampshire has earned a spot so far.

crunifan
November 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM
The Gateway could as well with WESTERN KENTUCKY-SOUTHERN ILLINOIS-YOUNGSTOWN STATE.

I hope you realize that if UNI loses next weekend the Gateway is only getting two in (Southern Illinois and the winner of WKU and YSU). If UNI wins, the Gateway is getting three in (SIU, UNI, and winner of WKU and YSU). The loser of the WKU/YSU is not getting in...plain and simple. Which means Western Kentucky and Youngstown State are not going to both be going, because neither would have seven D-I wins and both would have 4 losses.

Down with the Foe!
November 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Didnt your offense only score 2 fgs today? Thats the last I heard anyway... but with that kind of offensive output... you wont beat many teams in the playoffs.

We have a Freshman QB, a very beat up team, played in a dome a hell of a long ways to travel (Think Planes trains and automobiles) against a team coached by just about all former Griz.

It was not stellar, but it was a conference victory, on the road, in November.

A win is a win....Next.

We'll see you all in a few weeks at WA-Griz and see what you think of our team then. (I hope we are seriously overlooked by y'all)

Uncle Buck
November 6th, 2005, 09:53 AM
What kills me is that my beloved Dutchmen had a chance with 2:50 left in the game to go up 33-29, but instead, we fumble a first and goal from two before he could break the endzone line. An opportunity to not only keep our hopes alive, but continue the weird ways of the A-10

Spider
November 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Either Towson or Richmond has a shot, since they play each other next week and one will have 4 losses. I have a real hard time giving Towson an at-large bid, however, even if they win out at 8-3. Their "quality wins" would consist of Delaware and Richmond, while losing to UNH 62-21 and Bill & Mary 44-13 probably won't sit well with the committee. And their OOC of Lock Haven, Morgan St. and Liberty is pathetic.

Personally, I think a 8-3 Colgate team should make it in over an 8-3 Towson team.

So, hopefully, TOWSON WILL WIN BIG!!!! YES YES YES!!! :D
the Spidahs will take care of business at Towson....

WCU LawCat
November 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM
WCU is also still in the mix in the SoCon! Man this feels odd!

R.A.
November 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
-With the upsets that are bound to happen in the next two weeks, it's possible to see two MEAC teams in the field of 16. Hampton is already in, and with SCSU finishing second place in the conference with a possible 9-2 record, who knows. It would be the second straight year they finished 9-2. Plus with two "quality losses" at the hands of Hampton by 4 points and Coastal Carolina by 1 point, and a victory over last year's SWAC Champion Alabama State in Alabama... I think they have a valid case for possibly the last At- Large birth.
-I don't want 2 come across as pro or anti, I'm just saying that SCSU has a valid shot, and if they do make it, then we know it's because they earned it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
-With the upsets that are bound to happen in the next two weeks, it's possible to see two MEAC teams in the field of 16. Hampton is already in, and with SCSU finishing second place in the conference with a possible 9-2 record, who knows. It would be the second straight year they finished 9-2. Plus with two "quality losses" at the hands of Hampton by 4 points and Coastal Carolina by 1 point, and a victory over last year's SWAC Champion Alabama State in Alabama... I think they have a valid case for possibly the last At- Large birth.
-I don't want 2 come across as pro or anti, I'm just saying that SCSU has a valid shot, and if they do make it, then we know it's because they earned it.

I don't think S.C State has much if any chance to get in. In 2003 Lehigh had losses to 12-0 Colgate, 10-0 Penn and 9-3 1-A Uconn as well a win over #17 Fordham and didn't get in.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
quality losses could MAYBE be a decent argument if you had any quality wins... :bang:

R.A.
November 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
quality losses could MAYBE be a decent argument if you had any quality wins... :bang:

-I agree.

TigerFan17
November 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM

We'll see, we'll see. Our boys will be ready to play Saturday! :D

Our OOC is definitely killing us now. But who knows, we could win out and a few more 3 loss teams could lose...and we could go from a 3-8 and 0-8 in conference campaign to making the playoffs the very next year! :eek:

However...one at a time. UNH is the only team to beat us at the Johnny U this year...and that was before our offense got going (which decided to suddenly start clicking in the second half of the Northeastern game).

Can't wait for this one!

blukeys
November 6th, 2005, 04:43 PM
What kills me is that my beloved Dutchmen had a chance with 2:50 left in the game to go up 33-29, but instead, we fumble a first and goal from two before he could break the endzone line. An opportunity to not only keep our hopes alive, but continue the weird ways of the A-10

Like the fact you call your team the the Dutchmen. I love the old mascots which had roots to the region and schoool and hate the change to the politically correct crap. The Lehigh Engineers, The Colgate RED Raiders, Syracuse ORANGEMEN, Stanford Indians and on and on etc. are all much better than the current crop.

I am still most frustrated with the Hofstra switch. What was wrong with the Flying Dutchmen? It didn't offend any ethnic minority. (Were there some Netherland natives mounting protests?) It was historically and geographically relevant to downstate New York and it was cool. :confused: :confused: :confused:

charliej
November 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I think they should be able to handle Towson,but the only thing for sure is there are no sure things.

If they do get by the Tigers,they still have a pissed off tribe to deal with. I'm pulling for them to make it. ;)

Proud Griz Man
November 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Suddenly, the A-10 and the SoCon look more like a 3 bid conferences this year.

Same as every year? :confused: :confused:

I could have predicted this in August. ;) ;)

Uncle Buck
November 7th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Like the fact you call your team the the Dutchmen. "...What was wrong with the Flying Dutchmen?

When I played we for Hofstra we were the Dutchmen so that's what I identify with. The cramming of the nickname Pride down everyones throats really turned me off to it. I think it came down to PC women's teams not like the Lady Dutch moniker. The battle cry remains, "Pride never Dutch forever" :D

Sam Adams
November 7th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Agree that quality lossess must be outweighed by quality wins. It ultimately gets back to SOS. Hampton gets in if they stay undefeated w/no quality wins, and no quality losses. SCState is not nearly the best 2 loss team in 1AA so they should not get a bid.

spdram
November 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Two teams that shocked and baffeld the talking heads, or other so called experts. I haven't seen Towson play yet, but I know the Spiders are playing with purpose and passion. We played without 6 starters on Saturday and several others played less than normal, so I expect us to be well rested and healed when we make the trip to Baltimore. I know I spoke to one of the defensive players after the game that told me when VMI went down and scored their first possession they grouped and agreed they were not playing Spider football, after that the Keydets hardly moved the ball. With a limited offense we moved the ball almost at will. The Spiders will not be an easy out.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM
With the records of teams the way they are this year, Towson is a stone cold lock for the playoffs if they come out of the A10 with an 8-3 record - I think they still have Richmond and JMU so let's not get ahead of ourselves here, but at this time any 8-3 team that comes out of the A10 gets in. As for the MEAC getting two teams, again, that's getting more and more likely as time goes on - SC St at 9-2 will get in before most if not all 7-4 teams. Say what you will about their weak schedule, which it is, but with everyone else falling to the wayside somebody still has to get in. Heck, I don't know how Hampton doesn't get a seed now - the only team who is a lock to be seeded above Hampton is UNH. And yes, the A10 could see 3 teams in the playoffs, but they could also see just one - still two more weeks left to play.

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2005, 11:00 AM
We have a Freshman QB, a very beat up team, played in a dome a hell of a long ways to travel (Think Planes trains and automobiles) against a team coached by just about all former Griz.

It was not stellar, but it was a conference victory, on the road, in November.

A win is a win....Next.

We'll see you all in a few weeks at WA-Griz and see what you think of our team then. (I hope we are seriously overlooked by y'all)

Foe,

I'd love to agree with you, but I'm here to tell you---our offense looked bewildered out there Saturday. Let's hope it was just an off day...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM
With the records of teams the way they are this year, Towson is a stone cold lock for the playoffs if they come out of the A10 with an 8-3 record...

Look again at Towson's record, and tell me that.

If they go 8-3:

Wins over ranked opponents: Richmond

Wins over top 40 GPI teams: Delaware, Rhody, Villanova, Richmond, JMU

Wins over below 40 GPI teams: Morgan St., Liberty

Win over D-II: Lock Haven

Loss to top 40 GPI teams: N'Eastern, Bill & Mary

Loss to top 25 teams: UNH

This is not the record of a "stone-cold lock".

SpiritCymbal
November 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM
WCU is also still in the mix in the SoCon! Man this feels odd!
Actually, WCU is still in the running for a share of the SoCon Championship, but will not make the playoffs. Sucks doesn't it! It's highly unlikely that WCU will get an at-large bid and unfortunately the Catamounts can't get the automatic bid either.

GOOOOOO CATAMOUNTS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Beat ASU!

GannonFan
November 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Look again at Towson's record, and tell me that.

If they go 8-3:

Wins over ranked opponents: Richmond

Wins over top 40 GPI teams: Delaware, Rhody, Villanova, Richmond, JMU

Wins over below 40 GPI teams: Morgan St., Liberty

Win over D-II: Lock Haven

Loss to top 40 GPI teams: N'Eastern, Bill & Mary

Loss to top 25 teams: UNH

This is not the record of a "stone-cold lock".

Interesting take, and you may be right. But what's interesting is looking at say a Richmond, who shares Towson's record right now. They would have a very similar resume:

Wins over ranked opponents: ??? Possibly no one

Wins over top 40 GPI teams: Delaware, nova, Hofstra, JMU, W&M

Wins over below 40 GPI teams: Maine, Towson, VMI

Loss to Top 40 GPI and top 25: UMass

Loss to IA: Vandy

Loss to Below 40 GPI: Lafayette

Richmond's resume isn't a whole lot better, but they probably benefit from a IA loss rather than a DII win. Richmond, sitting at a GPI of #21 before last week and with Towson and W&M still to go, is an even better chance of going to the playoffs should they win out.