appfan2008
October 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
App. State @ GSU
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman
Western Carolina @ Wofford

walliver
October 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
GSU 31 - ASU 28 : Van Gorder's team took ASU to overtime at home. GSU will keep it close enough to win at the end. They will need a break or two at the end, but I think they pull it out.

Elon 72 - Chattanooga 14 : Rodney Allison's farewell tour continues.

Citadel 28 - Furman 24 : Bulldogs need this game to get back in the SoCon race

Wofford 49 - WCU 13 : Wofford has never lost at home to WCU since joining SoCon.

Applete
October 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think the ASU-GSU game will be close. App has to get rid of the fumble bug and start being smarter on special teams. Statesboro has always been a tough place to play for anybody. If GSU can force some turnovers and keep Edwards off the field then this could get interesting.

GO APPS!

furman94
October 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
GSU 31 - ASU 28 : Van Gorder's team took ASU to overtime at home. GSU will keep it close enough to win at the end. They will need a break or two at the end, but I think they pull it out.

Wofford 49 - WCU 13 : Wofford has never lost at home to WCU since joining SoCon.

So is Furman already out of the Socon race? A loss to Elon and we are out? You better watch out for Western... never EVER overlook them...

T-Dog
October 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I won't make predictions yet, but if App wins @ GaSo, their chances of winning the title become greatly better. We have Furman, Wofford and Elon at home, then games at UTC and WCU after that. Sure the home games will all be tough, but the schedule after this week favors us.

Mntneer
October 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
If App actually plays football for 4 quarters, we'll win. But if we continue having these big swings in momentum, we're in trouble.

Reign of Terrier
October 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Now that this week's games are over...

App. State @ GSU
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman

Discuss xreadx

GSU (third big game's the charm)
Elon
The Citadel (was competitive against Elon and whipped Western, FU didn't)
Wofford (defense continues to improve)

woffordgrad94
October 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Appalachian State SHOULD beat GSU at Paulson, but GSU is fully capable of pulling the upset.

Elon will destroy Chattanooga, as the Mocs will likely pack it in again

Right now, I like Furman over Citadel in a very close game, even though the Paladins have failed to impress the past two weeks...only because the game is in Greenville

Wofford should beat WCU, but it will be more of a battle than the Terriers had today!

catamount man
October 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM
ASU wins
Elon wins
Furman wins
(I refuse to pick a game involving WCU anymore. Too much of a battle between my heart and my head)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

furman94
October 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think that Furman plays with VERY different levels of intensity every week. I couldn't tell you what happened last week at Elon... we simply didnt show up to play and the Phoenix did.

I think that we tried to overlook Western today... we were up 21-0 and the team and the fans thought that it was gonna be a blowout. WC took advantage of this by gaining momentum. WCU will be good in a few years; I can already see the Wagner effect in action in the 'whee... they played with a sense of pride in themselves at times during the game.

We will be ready for El Cid in The Dungeon next week... we will be ready to WIN!

Reign of Terrier
October 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
ASU wins
Elon wins
Furman wins
(I refuse to pick a game involving WCU anymore. Too much of a battle between my heart and my head)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

If it makes you feel better I don't think Western will give up.

catamount man
October 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think that Furman plays with VERY different levels of intensity every week. I couldn't tell you what happened last week at Elon... we simply didnt show up to play and the Phoenix did.

I think that we tried to overlook Western today... we were up 21-0 and the team and the fans thought that it was gonna be a blowout. WC took advantage of this by gaining momentum. WCU will be good in a few years; I can already see the WAGNER effect in action in the 'whee... they played with a sense of pride in themselves at times during the game.

We will be ready for El Cid in The Dungeon next week... we will be ready to WIN!

Fixed it for ya.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Actually, I posted a link to an article a while back that mentioned that UTC's AD was sympathetic to Allison and thought that the facilities were not up to par with SoCon bigdogs. I don't think he is going anywhere.

apaladin
October 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I think that Furman plays with VERY different levels of intensity every week. I couldn't tell you what happened last week at Elon... we simply didn't show up to play and the Phoenix did

This is not a sign of a good team. One thing that I have always been proud of was the way FU always showed up to play regardless of who the opponent was which is the way it should. It simply has not been that way the last 2-3 years.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
GSU... since it's in Statesboro
Elon by a lot
The Citadel in a very close one
Western Carolina in a shocker

RazorEdge19
October 11th, 2008, 09:44 PM
App. State @ GSU

This game is one of the first in a series for several schools to decide the championship. ASU is coming off of a difficult day against Samford, meanwhile GSU has had a bye. GSU has had two weeks to stew on the OT loss to Wofford and UTC victory. Coupled with the home field of advantage of Paulson, this game is a toss-up. If the GSU team from Wofford's 2nd-half and UTC shows up...the SoCon standings have the potential of becoming very complicated.

Elon @ Chattanooga

Chattanooga seems to play better at home then they do on the road. With that said, they haven't been able to put a complete game together. If the Chattanooga defense can force Elon turnovers, then the game may be close, but if they don't solve their offensive and special teams problems, it probably won't be.

The Citadel @ Furman

This game determines the final member of the potential playoff contenders from the SoCon as well as potential conferences winners. If Furman loses this game at home, then their chances at both dimminish significantly. Citadel is holding on by a thread, and if they lose this one, its chances are essentially done. If Citadel's defense can force FU turnovers, as Elon did, then it could be a fantastic game.

This is a story of two different teams. Western is trying to turn the corner from their slide in recent history. Meanwhile, Wofford is asserting themselves as a perrenial powerhouse in the SoCon. Wagner's team has adopted his tough-minded mentality, and will improve over the next few seasons. However, Wofford likely hasn't forgotten their embarrassing second half performance last year. Wofford will be ready to play at the beginning, and if they take a lead into half-time, I expect Coach Ayers to keep his team focused for the second half. Especially after what happened to Furman this past week.

millwoga1
October 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah somebody picked UTC over Wofford in a shocker last week we see what happened with that

The Cats
October 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Don't make the mistake of confusing WCU with UTC this year.

You will not embarrass the Catamounts in Sparkle City. xnonox xnonox xnonox

LarryBoy
October 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
App State @ GSU
GSU is capable of winning this game, and ASU will need to play a full game of football, because no lead is safe in Statesboro (and they haven't excelled in the whole "4 quarters" thing as of late). I expect GSU to scare the Mountaineers for a good 3 quarters, but App State turns it around in the fourth, dashing the hopes of the Eagles and all of the rest of us.

Elon @ Chattanooga:
Sorry Mocs, but it looks like the Phoenix will need to collectively take a few sleeping pills to even make this one interesting. Chattanooga has simply shown nothing in the way of being competitive this season. It would help a lot of teams out if they can put something together, but it's not looking likely.

Western Carolina @ Wofford:
I liked Western's mentality today (and was impressed with the composure and accuracy of freshman QB Zack Jaynes), and there's a chance that they could surprise us with another strong showing next week. The difference between this week and next, however, is that Western caught a poor-playing Paladin team but will have to deal with a Wofford team that can seemingly do no wrong. Wofford pulls away in the second half.

The Citadel @ Furman:
There is no getting around the fact that, after a blazing start, Furman has been awful the last three weeks. Furman opened the season looking like a team out to prove something. It feels like they spent all of that effort on the first three games and are now sleep-walking. The Citadel, on the other hand, is coming off two heartbreaking (for different reasons) losses. Both teams are desperate. Both teams are capable of playing better than they have. My heart says Furman pulls it out, but my gut isn't so positive. The Citadel takes it in a hard-fought, downer of a game for Paladin fans.

millwoga1
October 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
yes we will

RazorEdge19
October 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Don't make the mistake of confusing WCU with UTC this year.

You will not embarrass the Catamounts in Sparkle City. xnonox xnonox xnonox

I don't think anyone is doing that. No one is underestimating WCU, especially after today.

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
GSU upsets Appy

Western will work hard, but come away with a L.

Elon pounds Chattanooga.

If we don't get the doldrums out of our team, the bellhops are going to take a W back to Charleston . I think we can beat them, but we are going to have to find the spark that we had in the first part of the season.

furman94
October 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM
This is not a sign of a good team. One thing that I have always been proud of was the way FU always showed up to play regardless of who the opponent was which is the way it should. It simply has not been that way the last 2-3 years.

Maybe Lamb's time at FU is dwindling...xtwocentsx

appstate38
October 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
App over GSU- But will be close 35-24
Elon big over UTC 56-7
Citadel-Furman Toss up 28-24 could go either way. Must win for both.
Wofford over WCU-closer than expected. 35-20

SU DOG
October 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
App St. @ GSU - The passing of AE will be the big difference and the Mountaineers will win.

Elon @ UTC - Not enough moxie in the Mocs.

The Citadel @ Furman - Team that makes the fewest mistakes wins as the cliche goes. I pick El Cid in a heartbreaker for the Dins.

UWC @ Wofford - Little Dogs too much for the Cats.

Biff
October 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I hate furple, but I will say the home team gets the W on this one. I expect this to be the game of the week.

Elon and Wofford rolls easily and GSU gives a good fight but falls two TD's short to the superior team.

HighRyder08
October 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
ASU over GSU by 13... AE has another breakout game and runs wild

Edge316007
October 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Is this discussion or prediction? In any case:

App may have been caught looking ahead to this game while playing Samford yesterday. As respectable as the Bulldogs have been, they had to pull out all the trickery and get a bit of luck for this one to even have been close. I don't think App looks ahead to Furman since this is likely going to be the 2nd toughest game of the year behind Elon. App wins a close one (another OT perhaps?)

Elon is rolling this year, despite playing a close one against a desperate Citadel team. UTC is probably the worst team in the conference this year and Elon keeps it going

The Citadel is seeing their season wash away after a solid start. Furman is a hard team to gauge because they seem different every week. Are they the team who beat Delaware and played respectably against VT or are they the team that barely beat Western and got stomped by Elon? Furman gets the edge here at home in another close one for The Citadel.

Western @ Wofford: I got in trouble calling for a huge Furman win and Western only lost by 7 yesterday. Wofford is a better team than Furman and I think Wofford gets the job done by 3 scores or more.

OL FU
October 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
App. State @ GSU - The one game preseason I picked ASU to lose. If GSU plays with intensity (not the intensity of youth) they can pull it off. GSU
Elon @ Chattanooga - Elon
The Citadel @ Furman If Furman plays they way they did the first four week, Furman wins. the last three weeks, The Citadel wins. The trend is in the wrong direction. Citadel
Western Carolina @ Wofford - - Wofford is looking better and better and better. Wofford.

apaladin
October 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Wofford wins big over WCU.

drpnut
October 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
My take:

Elon-Chatty: It is obvious chatty plays better at home. They ran up 400 yds of O on GaSouth. Could do nothing against Woffy. Elon has found a running game, and Chatty couldn't stop my grandma coming through on her walker. Logic says Elon runs away, but hunch tells me it will be closer: Elon wins 42-24.

Furple vs. ElCid: After the last couple of games, I believe we are seeing the real Furple team. Sure WCU is improved, but Furple should have crushed them at home. ElCid lost a heartbreaker thanks in part to a bogus call. Elcid wins in a slight upset. Elcid 28-24.

Woffy and the Cats: Woffy is rolling and there is no reason to see them slowing down. They played well against South Carolina. Torched GaSouth for a bunch of yards and about gave it away with mistakes. They played mistake free ball, of course against a bad chatty team, and just steam-rolled them. WCU is improved and will not go away, but the little dogs win nicely: Woffy 35 Cats 17

ASU at GaSouth: ASU is not impressing me yet. If tey put together a complete game they will tear the Eagles up. But I"m not sure they do that at Paulson. GaSouth is not as bad as their record. It is in Stateboro, so I'm saying upset special: GaSouth 35, Appy 31.

Holla

Baldy
October 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
My take:

Elon-Chatty: It is obvious chatty plays better at home. They ran up 400 yds of O on GaSouth. Could do nothing against Woffy. Elon has found a running game, and Chatty couldn't stop my grandma coming through on her walker. Logic says Elon runs away, but hunch tells me it will be closer: Elon wins 42-24.

Furple vs. ElCid: After the last couple of games, I believe we are seeing the real Furple team. Sure WCU is improved, but Furple should have crushed them at home. ElCid lost a heartbreaker thanks in part to a bogus call. Elcid wins in a slight upset. Elcid 28-24.

Woffy and the Cats: Woffy is rolling and there is no reason to see them slowing down. They played well against South Carolina. Torched GaSouth for a bunch of yards and about gave it away with mistakes. They played mistake free ball, of course against a bad chatty team, and just steam-rolled them. WCU is improved and will not go away, but the little dogs win nicely: Woffy 35 Cats 17

ASU at GaSouth: ASU is not impressing me yet. If tey put together a complete game they will tear the Eagles up. But I"m not sure they do that at Paulson. GaSouth is not as bad as their record. It is in Stateboro, so I'm saying upset special: GaSouth 35, Appy 31.

Holla

Only if the Eagles turn the ball over 4+ times and/or decide not to show up. Don't count on either happening.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Only if the Eagles turn the ball over 4+ times and/or decide not to show up. Don't count on either happening.

That's one thing about the GSU-App games that I was going to mention. With the possible exception of the '99 game in Boone, I can't remember a game with App. State where we did not play hard, execute, and have very few if any mistakes. And yes that includes the 2005 game where we lost 24-7...that was because App played a heck of a game and because Sewak's game plan wasn't that good.

If the other two top-10 SoCon teams couldn't win in Statesboro by a field goal or more, I can't see App winning this one by more than a touchdown.

AsuBucETSU34
October 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Elon Vs Chatt = Elon wins big (elon 42 Chatt 14)

Furman vs El Cid = EL cid might get a upset hard to tell (21 Cit 20 Fur) just what i think

WCU VS Wofford = Wofford beats them bad!! ( Wofford 56 WCU 14)

GSU VS App = game of the week app looking for revenge and will get it with a slumping gsu team but i could be wrong

( ASU 38 GSU 21)

boonegoon
October 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Elon
Citadel
Wofford
App- Part of me is glad that App was off a little yesterday. Kind of like we were against Presby and we came in against the Citadel really focused. If that happens again, App by 2 scores. If not, a tighter game than is should be and perhaps an upset.

LUfilmguy
October 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Elon big.
Furple by an FG
Wofford by a suprising TD
GSU with the Upset at home by a FG

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not as worried about our performance against WCU as everyone else. The Paladins scored in four plays on the opening drive, and were up 21-0 before most had taken their seats. They put it in cruise and were almost shocked when the Cats didn't oblige by laying down.

The only negative thing I took from the game was Furman's inability to get their defense off the field on third downs. WCU ran nearly 20 more plays than Furman, often because they were able to keep drives going despite our best efforts.

WCU has a gutty quarterback who stood in there and took some wicked hits all game long. He was very good under pressure. WCU has a couple of nice looking receivers who made some very nice catches.

The game had the feel of Furman looking to The Citadel. However, there's just not that many blowouts in the SoCon anymore (compared to three years ago). I'm happy with a conference win and look forward to another gutty one against the Cadets.

Baldy
October 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Elon Vs Chatt = Elon wins big (elon 42 Chatt 14)

Furman vs El Cid = EL cid might get a upset hard to tell (21 Cit 20 Fur) just what i think

WCU VS Wofford = Wofford beats them bad!! ( Wofford 56 WCU 14)

GSU VS App = game of the week app looking for revenge and will get it with a slumping gsu team but i could be wrong

( ASU 38 GSU 21)

GSU isn't slumping whatsoever. GSU had two heartbreaking losses to Elon and Wofford, but those two games have done nothing but make this inexperienced team better. We got exactly what we needed last week by beating Chattanooga handily, and we had an extra week to get a little more experienced and healthy. I expect a war. The Mountaineers better bring a lunch on Saturday. xnodx

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm a little worried about Western Carolina but not too much. I really think we'll win because Mike Ayers is trying to get us focused on finishing games we should win. The only thing that can stop our offense is our offense as seen in the second half against GSU and the first quarter of Chatty. Our defense has also shown improvement after the bye as well as players getting healthy. All of the defensive players that have recovered were from the secondary and were injured in the first game against PC. It kind of makes me wonder if our defense's inability to stop the pass was largely due to injuries and the starters getting tired rather than simply not being good at defending the pass.

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
GSU isn't slumping whatsoever. GSU had two heartbreaking losses to Elon and Wofford, but those two games have done nothing but make this inexperienced team better. We got exactly what we needed last week by beating Chattanooga handily, and we had an extra week to get a little more experienced and healthy. I expect a war. The Mountaineers better bring a lunch on Saturday. xnodx

It's also a must win against for GSU. Win and playoff hopes are still alive. Lose and playoffs are very unlikely with GSU being hardly eligible with wins.

appstate38
October 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
What happened to the QB GSU brought with them to Boone last year. I think he was a freshman. He was more of the passer to Foster's running.

Baldy
October 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
What happened to the QB GSU brought with them to Boone last year. I think he was a freshman. He was more of the passer to Foster's running.

Billy Lowe is the QB you are referring. He has a back or neck injury that is keeping him out this season at least, but its very possible his career might be over. It's a shame...a terrific kid from a great family.

appstate38
October 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Billy Lowe is the QB you are referring. He has a back or neck injury that is keeping him out this season at least, but its very possible his career might be over. It's a shame...a terrific kid from a great family.

Dang I didn't know that. Sad to hear that about him.

gsugt1
October 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
That's one thing about the GSU-App games that I was going to mention. With the possible exception of the '99 game in Boone, I can't remember a game with App. State where we did not play hard, execute, and have very few if any mistakes. And yes that includes the 2005 game where we lost 24-7...that was because App played a heck of a game and because Sewak's game plan wasn't that good.

If the other two top-10 SoCon teams couldn't win in Statesboro by a field goal or more, I can't see App winning this one by more than a touchdown.

In 2005 we played without Jayson. That would hurt anyones game plan.

introvertedGSUfan
October 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
It's also a must win against for GSU. Win and playoff hopes are still alive. Lose and playoffs are very unlikely with GSU being hardly eligible with wins.

If UNH got a playoff bid with a 7-4 record last year, I could see the same for GSU if we only lose one more game, although that's just an assumption.

matfu
October 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Which Furman team will show up? That will determine everything. Also is Justin Brown back or not? Furman has been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I will be shocked if Western or Chat come close to beating anyone else this season.

I vote Ga Southern will upset App State.

dungeonjoe
October 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
If UNH got a playoff bid with a 7-4 record last year, I could see the same for GSU if we only lose one more game, although that's just an assumption.

Maybe when GSU joins the CAAxlolx

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Which Furman team will show up? That will determine everything. Also is Justin Brown back or not? Furman has been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I will be shocked if Western or Chat come close to beating anyone else this season.

I vote Ga Southern will upset App State.

I overheard Justin tell someone that he expects to be back against The Citadel. He is a true difference maker and it is pretty obvious the void he leaves when not in the game.

Furman hasn't been that two sided, I think. They have, for the most part, found themselves in gritty grindout games where, most often, we are the team left standing. FU has to cut over on the turnovers or we get results like the Elon game.

This FU team is good enough to beat anyone. We just have got to quit shooting our foot off.

millwoga1
October 12th, 2008, 09:07 PM
App. st - GSU Close first half but appy puts a complete game together this week and wins in second half 38-20

Woff - Western Will Woff be looking ahead to next week. They usually have one game a year where they come out flat and play flat the entire game. I don't think it will be this one though. Woff 34- Western 17

The Cit - Furman The Citadel wants this one more than any other but Furman will play better than last week. Cit 28- Furman 24 in OT

Elon vs. Chatty Chatty's qb played pretty well against Wofford but had no help. Elon will strike quick and often. Elon will run away with this one and have the second half to rest some players allowing chatty to score some points. Elon 52- chatty 17

South Carolina Duke
October 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Maybe when GSU joins the CAAxlolx

How has the SOCON favored this year against the CAA so far this year? Not to gooood!

FU beat Deleware that is it.

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM
How has the SOCON favored this year against the CAA so far this year? Not to gooood!

GSU over Northeastern

Wofford is more than willing to play a rematch against Richmond.xthumbsupx

T-Dog
October 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM

It's 2-2 this year.

GaSo over NE
FU over UD

JMU over ASU
UofR over Elon

FurmanPaladins4138
October 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
The Cit - Furman The Citadel wants this one more than any other but Furman will play better than last week. Cit 28- Furman 24 in OT

...just wondering, is this score even possible in overtime?

furpal87
October 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
If you go in tied at 22, they score you block kick, get 2, and then don't score on offense. How's that?

eaglewraith
October 13th, 2008, 12:29 AM
For all these people who are saying they think App will win the second half, GSU has played very strong in the second half, and particularly in the 4th quarter, all season. If App lets it stay close or we're leading going into the 3rd, App is in big time trouble.

AppStsGr8
October 13th, 2008, 06:55 AM
If App actually plays football for 4 quarters, we'll win. But if we continue having these big swings in momentum, we're in trouble.

Agreed. Four quarters of solid App football would be too much for almost any other team to top. That said, I haven't seen more than two quarters of solid App football in any one game this season.

It's not enough to out rush, out pass, out sack, out everything else the other team without making sure the other team doesn't get huge punt / kick returns and big 3rd and 8 pass plays.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm still an App fan. Loyalty doesn't depend on winning; winning makes loyalty sweeter. GO APP!

PhoenixPhan06
October 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Elon (6-1) (4-0) @ UTC (1-6) (0-3): I'm sad that I'm gonna miss this one! The Elon running game has taken the load off Riddle's shoulders the past few games and I expect more of the same in this one. Riddle should get his 250-300 yards passing by the end of the 3rd so I'm looking forward to seeing our backups get some action. The stable of running backs should easily run for 150+ yards and multiple scores. I could go on and on about this one but we all know who's favored here.

Elon 52 UTC 13

The Citadel (3-3) (1-2) @ Furman (5-2) (2-1): A strong performance from Furman in this one leaves us all wondering about all the preseason hype for The Citadel. Furman keeps their playoff hopes alive and ends all hope for a postseason in Charleston.

Furman 31 CIT 24

WCU (2-5) (0-3) @ Wofford (4-1) (2-0): Wofford gets another tune up before the meat of their SoCon schedule. Wofford should take care of business early in this one but WCU is sure to sneak in the highlight real once or twice.

Wofford 45 WCU 17

Game of the Week

ASU (4-2) (2-0) @ GSU (3-3) (1-2): This is a matchup of two FCS powerhouses; GSU of old, and ASU as the new gold standard. Playing at Paulson will help the GSU cause, but ASU plays "60 minutes of Hell" and shows why they're 3-time National Champions. Watch for big plays on both sides of the ball but in the end ASU will make more of em.

ASU 38 GSU 17

appstate38
October 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM

I will still take our record over the CAA over the past few years.

eaglewithabus
October 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
well well....the week Ive been waiting for is finally here and the anxiety is setting in early on Monday morning.

Elon rolls over UTC who does not have an answer for Riddle.

El Cit takes down FU..this is a tough pick, but I think cit will show up for this one.

Wofford...do I even need to elaborate?

ASU wins over GSU in double overtime. This hurts to say and I desperately hope to be wrong. See you guys saturday.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
The Phoenix stay perfect in the conference. I don't think they will roll UTC out of the stadium. Elon has been winning, but has been winning close. Elon 32- UTC 17.

Wofford should take care of Western. However, I saw a lot I liked about WCU on Saturday. Wofford 34- WCU 14.

Both FU and The Citadel come in fighting for their playoff lives. I give the edge to the Paladins as the game is in Greenville and they will (hopefully) have Justin Brown back in the lineup. Furman 24- The Citadel 21.

App has struggled in Statesboro for years. Even when the Apps were dominant and GSU rebuilding. This could be a statement game for Hatcher's Eagle's. GSU 24-App 17.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
App. State @ GSU
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman

appstate38
October 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
The Phoenix stay perfect in the conference. I don't think they will roll UTC out of the stadium. Elon has been winning, but has been winning close. Elon 32- UTC 17.

Wofford should take care of Western. However, I saw a lot I liked about WCU on Saturday. Wofford 34- WCU 14.

Both FU and The Citadel come in fighting for their playoff lives. I give the edge to the Paladins as the game is in Greenville and they will (hopefully) have Justin Brown back in the lineup. Furman 24- The Citadel 21.

App has struggled in Statesboro for years. Even when the Apps were dominant and GSU rebuilding. This could be a statement game for Hatcher's Eagle's. GSU 24-App 17.

Even if we lose. NO WAY GSU holds us to under 30. They are going to have to score to beat us. When was the last SoCon team to hold ASU under 30???

It was 06! Wofford held us to 14 and GSU held us to 27. Both games we won. The offense is getting better and using more weapons, so we will see.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Even if we lose. NO WAY GSU holds us to under 30. They are going to have to score to beat us. When was the last SoCon team to hold ASU under 30???

It was 06! Wofford held us to 14 and GSU held us to 27. Both games we won. The offense is getting better and using more weapons, so we will see.

I wouldn't say "no way." Funny things happen in Statesboro. Two long road trips in a row for ASU might be worth thinking about too.

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't say "no way." Funny things happen in Statesboro. Two long road trips in a row for ASU might be worth thinking about too.

'Funny things' is an understatement. Wofford held the ball for 20 minutes (2nd half) and was in the red-zone 4 times at Paulson and came away with 0 points. If that isn't out of character, I don't know what is.

Paulson has a funny way of altering the outcomes of games...

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The next three weeks are going to define the SOCON.
Key games:
ASU vs GSU,
ASU vs Furman,
ASU vs Wofford,
Wofford vs Elon,
Furman vs The Citadel
GSU vs The Citadel,
Samford vs the World

Elon has probably the easiest 3 weeks. Appalachian the hardest. Wofford has to win at least two to be a real contender. The Citadel(especially) and GSU can't afford to lose. Furman needs to prove themselves against the Citadel or else they're in a hole. Western will beat Chatty. Samford is only going to be a troublemaker.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 01:05 PM
'Funny things' is an understatement. Wofford held the ball for 20 minutes (2nd half) and was in the red-zone 4 times at Paulson and came away with 0 points. If that isn't out of character, I don't know what is.

Paulson has a funny way of altering the outcomes of games...

And GSU still found a way to lose:D !

Seven Would Be Nice
October 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Don't forget GSU's bye week.

We've had Armanti on our minds for two weeks.

AppSt.09
October 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Not to mention that:

A) The only teams that have held us to under 30 in the last two seasons have been James Madison in last years playoff game and LSU

B) The main reason GSU beat us last year graduated

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Armanti has been the main focus of teams for three years. If you can figure out how to beat him, let the rest of us know.

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Armanti has been the main focus of teams for three years. If you can figure out how to beat him, let the rest of us know.

Armanti's only been able to put up, at most, 14 points against us in two seasons. We might be getting something right. We'll see if it holds up in three weeks.

appstate38
October 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Armanti's only been able to put up, at most, 14 points against us in two seasons. We might be getting something right. We'll see if it holds up in three weeks.

You didn't face a healthy AE last year. You can try to hold on to that theory but I don't know how successful you will be. Either way it is going to be fun.

AppStateold299
October 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I am looking forward to this game. It is one of the few that I will get to see in person. I got to watch the massacre of Citadel. I am hoping that this will be some of the same. The only change is that they will play a whole game. However, I don't think Wofford will go down like that.

james_lawfirm
October 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
You didn't face a healthy AE last year. You can try to hold on to that theory but I don't know how successful you will be. Either way it is going to be fun.

You beat me to saying that, but only by 4 minutes.

james_lawfirm
October 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I am looking forward to this game. It is one of the few that I will get to see in person. I got to watch the massacre of Citadel. I am hoping that this will be some of the same. The only change is that they will play a whole game. However, I don't think Wofford will go down like that.

Maybe not. But, Wofford won't hang on to the ball for 40 minutes again either. This may be the best game of the FCS year.

Plus, it's on Halloween!

Boo!

james_lawfirm
October 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I suggest the 3 - 4 defense. It didn't work for The Citadel, we ran right up the middle. So, it might as well not work for you either.

Or, perhaps the "spy" linebacker. That never works. GaSo tried that last time.

Or, maybe, I think GaSo will need 13 on the field. That will probably work, especially if the extra few are dressed in stripes.

I predict that App finally puts together 4 good quarters of football right there in Paulson Stadium.

gasou4389
October 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I think everyone is going to be surprised by how much GSU wins this game. For GSU the only problem has been starting the game strong. We have played as well as anyone in the SOCON in the second half of our games. I would be shocked if we don't come out of the gates strong in this game (considering it is ASU with the playoffs still on the line and two weeks to think about it). ASU will get dominated from start to finish. ASU scores a garbage TD late. GSU 41-ASU 24

CharlestonAppFan
October 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think everyone is going to be surprised by how much GSU wins this game. For GSU the only problem has been starting the game strong. We have played as well as anyone in the SOCON in the second half of our games. I would be shocked if we don't come out of the gates strong in this game (considering it is ASU with the playoffs still on the line and two weeks to think about it). ASU will get dominated from start to finish. ASU scores a garbage TD late. GSU 41-ASU 24

xlmaox xlolx xlmaox
So GSU is going to do something that no other team has done in over 3 years to ASU? (besides LSU....but hey xeyebrowx we let them do that xsmiley_wix :D )

Applete
October 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I say special teams is the key. That has been our weakness all year. We give up a huge special teams play and the momentum shifts in a heartbeat. No way GSU hangs with our offense, but if they can force a couple of 3 and outs early and put ASU in bad field position it could be very interesting. Bottom line is the APPS can't return it or defend it so that has to be the key. I hope they prove me wrong. GO APPS!

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Maybe not. But, Wofford won't hang on to the ball for 40 minutes again either. This may be the best game of the FCS year.

Plus, it's on Halloween!

Boo!

Wofford may not have to. Heck, UTC had Wofford by nearly 10 minutes longer in TOP...xthumbsupx

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that same 'unhealthy Armanti' put up 34 points on Michigan last year. I know Armanti Edwards wouldn't make excuses like that, so don't do so for him.

Armanti is very, very good. No one here questions that.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Plus, it's on Halloween!

Boo!

Even so, if I remember correctly, all of App's scores last year were due to drives starting on the 40 yard line or better. But with our kick coverage this year it might happen againxoopsx xoopsx

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that same 'unhealthy Armanti' put up 34 points on Michigan last year. I know Armanti Edwards wouldn't make excuses like that, so don't do so for him.

I think it goes without saying that Edwards is probably the single most important player of just about any team in the FCS. He makes the App car go.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM

He played at one half and they were trailing at the half. The better team won. Our QB was hurt too but still played most of the game, and Widmyer stepped in and scored a TD when he wasn't in.

elon77
October 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Encourage him to go pro after this year. That's how you beat him. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Baldy
October 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
xlmaox xlolx xlmaox
So GSU is going to do something that no other team has done in over 3 years to ASU? (besides LSU....but hey xeyebrowx we let them do that xsmiley_wix :D )

Splitting hairs here, but GSU was up 31-17 at the half and 38-20 in the 4th against App last year in Boone. Armanti and Co. did put us a furious rally late, but at that point in the 4th quarter, we were playing a very loose prevent defense and very conservative offense.

Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming that will happen this year, in fact I've already said it will be a war on Saturday. Just putting a little perspective into things. xpeacex

AppSt.09
October 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Compare videos from michigan and Wofford and you can tell that Armanti was alot helthier against Michigan than he was against Wofford. he had the injur yes, but because of how hard he played against Michigan is why it got worse. Wofford did not come close to playing a helthy Armanti last year and that was apparent just from watching the game .

Applete
October 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Splitting hairs here, but GSU was up 31-17 at the half and 38-20 in the 4th against App last year in Boone. Armanti and Co. did put us a furious rally late, but at that point in the 4th quarter, we were playing a very loose prevent defense and very conservative offense.

Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming that will happen this year, in fact I've already said it will be a war on Saturday. Just putting a little perspective into things. xpeacex

Two words, Jayson Foster, he accounted for more than half of GSU's offensive production and yes that was last year.

GATA
October 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Two words, Jayson Foster, he accounted for more than half of GSU's offensive production and yes that was last year.

I'd agree with that. Which is exactly why I can't wait until Armanti Edwards leaves FCS football and the SOCON forever.

Last year against GSU, App state had 557 yards of offense...Armanti Edwards was responsible for 400 yards of that...xeekx

Applete
October 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'd agree with that. Which is exactly why I can't wait until Armanti Edwards leaves FCS football and the SOCON forever.

Last year against GSU, App state had 557 yards of offense...Armanti Edwards was responsible for 400 yards of that...xeekx

Actually 398, but who's counting. xthumbsupx

Sorry I was over zealous

RazorEdge19
October 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Compare videos from michigan and Wofford and you can tell that Armanti was alot helthier against Michigan than he was against Wofford. he had the injur yes, but because of how hard he played against Michigan is why it got worse. Wofford did not come close to playing a helthy Armanti last year and that was apparent just from watching the game .

Why do ASU fans still, a year later, feel compelled to offer an excuse for a great player who would never do the same?

GATA
October 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Why do ASU fans still, a year later, feel compelled to offer an excuse for a great player who would never do the same?

It does seem to me that in the last two years AE has gotten hit really hard in the games against GSU. I think part of the reason why the game was close in 2006 (with our worst team ever) was because Edwards was really getting rocked and he was shaken a little bit. Eventually he bounced back after a few series and went back to dominating though.

Last year against GSU I don't think he was completely healthy and he also took a bunch of big shots in that game, but he still ran for 220 yards and threw for 175 more. God knows what numbers he would have put up if he had been full force.

BULLDOG8180
October 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
...just wondering, is this score even possible in overtime?

I got it! I got it! Score at the end of regulation 21-21.
El Cid gets the ball first, and scores a TD, kicks the extra point, score - Cit 28 Herman 21.

Citadel defense stuffs Herman three plays, Lamb decides to kick field goal.

final score in OT 28-24!:D

SCPALADIN
October 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I got it! I got it! Score at the end of regulation 21-21.
El Cid gets the ball first, and scores a TD, kicks the extra point, score - Cit 28 Herman 21.

Citadel defense stuffs Herman three plays, Lamb decides to kick field goal.

final score in OT 28-24!:D

Now that's funny...sad, but funny.xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Since he's not here to say it....

54-51

LarryBoy
October 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Since he's not here to say it....

54-51

I was wondering why this week has been so quiet...

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I doubt we will see that kind of score-fest again. This time if Furman goes up 20 in the first half against the Citadel, I hope we just keep it that way.

AppSt.09
October 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Not an excuse, just the cold hard facts: ya'll did not face a healthy Armanti.

AsuBucETSU34
October 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
it will be a tough game reguardless gsu will be ready for app.. and app will seek revenge.... A healthy AE will be a Diffrence... it will come down to turnovers,Speacil teams,Pentiles,whos d makes a stop

Appstate29
October 14th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I think this is the year we put the igglets in their place. Radford has his second coming out party. DJ Smith introduces several players to the grass, and Armanti has his way. ASU 35-GSU-21

eaglewithabus
October 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I think this is the year we put the igglets in their place. Radford has his second coming out party. DJ Smith introduces several players to the grass, and Armanti has his way. ASU 35-GSU-21

I dont think GSU has it this year, were just too young, and we make too many mistakes that add up. With that said, the pompous attitiude displayed by app fans puts me in a state of de ja vu from last season when I traveled up to boone with pretty much the same attitude I have right now. And we all know how that turned out...we won the game and the fight in the parking lot. FOCUS EAGLES!

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Those are fine facts. Reality is App goes as Armanti does. Without him, ASU is a middle of the pack SoCon team.

OL FU
October 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Those are fine facts. Reality is App goes as Armanti does. Without him, ASU is a middle of the pack SoCon team.

Unfortunately, they got him next year too:(

blueballs
October 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM

But ASU had an off week prior, was playing at home, against a team that had been decimated by injuries and scholarship reductions.

I'm sure Edward's health status had everything to do with the pick six he threw on the first series, the turnover in the red zone in the third quarter, and with ASU defense's inability to slow down the GSU offense in the first half.

NOBODY had more injuries than GSU last year, Hatcher stated they were down to under 40 scholarship players by the time they played Furman.

AshevilleApp2
October 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Georgia Southern has the talent to contend with and maybe beat App. I'm hoping that their young players are still a year or so from gelling. It should be a good game.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Don't generalize all of us due to one poster.

Do you generalize El Cit's fans due to Citdog.....xeyebrowx ...eh wait, bad example.....eh....Do you generalize all of JMU's fans due to alexale? NDSU's fans due to MPLSBison? No you do not!

Bash him all you want. I don't care. Just don't generalize all of us with one poster.

GSUhooligan
October 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
If AE was unhealthy to the point that he is the reason ASU lost to Wofford, why was he in the game at all? He was obviously healthy enough or JM wouldn't have put the "golden boy" in.

elcid96
October 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Citadel is tired of the close games and puts away Furman Early in a 2-3 touchdown blowout in Greenville. Go Dogs.

james_lawfirm
October 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
If AE was unhealthy to the point that he is the reason ASU lost to Wofford, why was he in the game at all? He was obviously healthy enough or JM wouldn't have put the "golden boy" in.

Hooligan:
As I recall, AE was close to 100% for the GaSo game last year. It was the Wofford game that he was too gimpy but played anyway.

With the exception of that interception that he gift wrapped and floated out there to the TE to be run back for a GaSo TD, he played pretty well.

It's tough to spot a team like GaSo 14 points up front, but AE still made a game of it.

The BIG difference this year is that J. Foster won't be playing every position again. Whew! It promises to be a good game in the 'boro.

RazorEdge19
October 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Don't generalize all of us due to one poster.

Do you generalize El Cit's fans due to Citdog.....xeyebrowx ...eh wait, bad example.....eh....Do you generalize all of JMU's fans due to alexale? NDSU's fans due to MPLSBison? No you do not!

Bash him all you want. I don't care. Just don't generalize all of us with one poster.

Its not so much an attack as a question for those who make that. I don't want to generalize fans, just a general observation.

GATA
October 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hooligan:
The BIG difference this year is that J. Foster won't be playing every position again. Whew! It promises to be a good game in the 'boro.

LOL. It's a little known fact that Jayson Foster also drove the team bus up to Boone as well as sanitized and distributed the water on the sidelines ala Bobby Boucher.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hooligan:
As I recall, AE was close to 100% for the GaSo game last year. It was the Wofford game that he was too gimpy but played anyway.

With the exception of that interception that he gift wrapped and floated out there to the TE to be run back for a GaSo TD, he played pretty well.

It's tough to spot a team like GaSo 14 points up front, but AE still made a game of it.

This year we spotted Wofford 14 in the first 6 minutes of the game, and still managed a 17 point comeback to take it to OT. Our Boys know how to fight, and will give you a full game no matter what the score.

We are two plays from 5-1 and a lot of people are writing us off. That's fine with me if people want to think that we are a bad team, and can't do anything without JayFo.

Also don't forget that in our worst year of football history, a year you won the NC, we took you to double OT.

Anyway, it should be a good game in the Boro this year. It always is. :D

blueballs
October 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hooligan:

Foster will be in blue Saturday but in disguise, very covert, still deadly, still a ninja. LOL

I'm looking forward to the latest installment in the rivalry this weekend, it should be a good one...

Please come visit us in the back of the booster parking lot at the stadium. We're on the back row on the visitor's side of the main road that dissects the parking lot under the Red Flag.

james_lawfirm
October 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Foster will be in blue Saturday but in disguise, very covert, still deadly, still a ninja. LOL

I'm looking forward to the latest installment in the rivalry this weekend, it should be a good one...

Please come visit us in the back of the booster parking lot at the stadium. We're on the back row on the visitor's side of the main road that dissects the parking lot under the Red Flag.

I appreciate the offer. I am looking forward to this game too. I agree it will be a good one.

Unfortunately, my younger son has a soccer game at 10:00 & there is no way we could then make Statesboro. If we tried, we'd probably arrive about the end of the 3rd Qtr. So, we'll have to catch this one on TV.

Good luck.

james_lawfirm
October 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Our Boys know how to fight, and will give you a full game no matter what the score. :D

I would not have it any other way. Good luck.

james_lawfirm
October 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
LOL. It's a little known fact that Jayson Foster also drove the team bus up to Boone as well as sanitized and distributed the water on the sidelines ala Bobby Boucher.

I think I saw him on the DL. I know I saw him throw and catch the ball (on the same play.)

phoenixphanatic21
October 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Elon beats UTC
Furman pulls out a close one against the Citadel
Wofford beats the Catamounts
App beats GSU (though I would LOVE to see an upset here xnodx)

eaglewithabus
October 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I appreciate the offer. I am looking forward to this game too. I agree it will be a good one.

Unfortunately, my younger son has a soccer game at 10:00 & there is no way we could then make Statesboro. If we tried, we'd probably arrive about the end of the 3rd Qtr. So, we'll have to catch this one on TV.

Good luck.

havent seen much talk about people making the trip down from boone this weekend. You think that you guys will have a crowd make it this year. I mean the gas excuse isnt valid when most of the fan base travels on mules and horseback anyway:D

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Elon beats UTC
Furman pulls out a close one against the Citadel
Wofford beats the Catamounts
App beats GSU (though I would LOVE to see an upset here xnodx)

You and I both! An upset here could make things real interesting in the SoCon standings!

phoenixphanatic21
October 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM
You and I both! An upset here could make things real interesting in the SoCon standings!

Amen. Plus it would help make things a lil easier for us. Btw, props for the signature xnodx xnodx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

PhoenixPhan06
October 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Amen. Plus it would help make things a lil easier for us. Btw, props for the signature xnodx xnodx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

I do what I can to spread the good word. Anything to make the rest of the season easier for us would be much appreciated! I just got my tickets to the ASU game on 11/15 just in case we're playing for a lil hardware xprayx

phoenixphanatic21
October 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I do what I can to spread the good word. Anything to make the rest of the season easier for us would be much appreciated! I just got my tickets to the ASU game on 11/15 just in case we're playing for a lil hardware xprayx

Well you are doing a fine job sir. And where'd you get your ticket from? A couple friends and I are looking to go to the game as well.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I hope Foster plays against Furman. The Eagles are a whopping 1-3 when he plays against us.

Rekdiver
October 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Scary Thought,,

App plays its first complete game of the season including special teams and wins by 21. There is motivation for losing to GSU at home last year.

elonpuckhog
October 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've had my tickets for the game on 11/15 for quite some time. I bought them from the ASU website. They only had grass seats left, but I don't really care where I'm sitting. I believe they were $27 a piece.

GATA
October 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I hope Foster plays against Furman. The Eagles are a whopping 1-3 when he plays against us.

I'm guessing you mean as a starting QB...because in that case it was only twice...and he was 1-1

I'm still baffled as to why we did so many direct snaps to Foster in '06 without him once actually throwing a pass...xconfusedx That's BVG coaching 101.

Wow...actually I remember on the last drive of the game in '06 we used that BS direct snap package with Foster to get into the redzone...and then took him out of the game at about the 10 yard line only to put in our other QB Travis Clark...3 incomplete passes later, we missed the game tying field goal...when I think about it...BVG really was the worst coach ever.

eaglesrback
October 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Dang I didn't know that. Sad to hear that about him.

Do not count Mr. Lowe out just yet!xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This year we spotted Wofford 14 in the first 6 minutes of the game, and still managed a 17 point comeback to take it to OT. Our Boys know how to fight, and will give you a full game no matter what the score.

We are two plays from 5-1 and a lot of people are writing us off. That's fine with me if people want to think that we are a bad team, and can't do anything without JayFo.

Also don't forget that in our worst year of football history, a year you won the NC, we took you to double OT.

Anyway, it should be a good game in the Boro this year. It always is. :D

I think it was five minutes...anyway I'm not writing you off. Henton is just as dangerous as Foster.
I have GSU as my 4th or 5th team in the Socon.

Eaglesrus
October 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm guessing you mean as a starting QB...because in that case it was only twice...and he was 1-1

I'm still baffled as to why we did so many direct snaps to Foster in '06 without him once actually throwing a pass...xconfusedx That's BVG coaching 101.

Wow...actually I remember on the last drive of the game in '06 we used that BS direct snap package with Foster to get into the redzone...and then took him out of the game at about the 10 yard line only to put in our other QB Travis Clark...3 incomplete passes later, we missed the game tying field goal...when I think about it...BVG really was the worst coach ever.

You just had to remind me of that, huh? Just got ill all over again.

blueballs
October 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
You just had to remind me of that, huh? Just got ill all over again.

...and yet the guy still manages to get high profile coordinator jobs... dude must have a PI taking some mighty damning pictures...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Yeah VanGoobledocker's staff turned a pretty good kicker (Johnathan Dudley) into one that could not start on most high school squads.

AlphaSigMD
October 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Wow, that statement sure does carry a lot of disdain. But the truth in that statement is that even great football teams rely on key players that are in essence irreplaceable.

A few examples:

Tom Brady - New England isn't looking too good these days...

Jake Delhomme - Last years Panthers looked bad week in, week out.

Bob Sanders - Indianapolis looks pretty slim on defense without him...

I would argue it's more difficult to put together a championship squad with a bunch of solid interchangeable parts than it is with a team like ASU with Armanti squarely in the drivers seat.

In ASU historical terms, we had 2 good QB's in 1999 with David Burns, Daniel Jeremiah splitting time. However, it wasn't until 2000 when we put the ball in the hands of Joe Burchette alone that we really hit our stride.

It was the same story with Chris Simms and Major Applewhite at Texas.

appstate38
October 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Hmmm Now that is funny. I guess the Apps are going to roll into Paulson thinking they are playing some scrub JV team and Not GSU. We will be ready. The thing that should be pointed out to all is that the offense has been opened up the last few weeks to get more people involved. It isn't just AE to CoCo anymore. You will have to cover the whole field, and I don't think you can do it.

ChadWC
October 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hmmm Now that is funny. I guess the Apps are going to roll into Paulson thinking they are playing some scrub JV team and Not GSU. We will be ready. The thing that should be pointed out to all is that the offense has been opened up the last few weeks to get more people involved. It isn't just AE to CoCo anymore. You will have to cover the whole field, and I don't think you can do it.

What should concern you, is our offense hasn't been opened up either because of the youth. You are going to see things on Saturday that have not shown up on tape. Keep an eye on #15. Hes a playmaker.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Wow, that statement sure does carry a lot of disdain. But the truth in that statement is that even great football teams rely on key players that are in essence irreplaceable.

A few examples:

I would argue it's more difficult to put together a championship squad with a bunch of solid interchangeable parts than it is with a team like ASU with Armanti squarely in the drivers seat.

In ASU historical terms, we had 2 good QB's in 1999 with David Burns, Daniel Jeremiah splitting time. However, it wasn't until 2000 when we put the ball in the hands of Joe Burchette alone that we really hit our stride.

Not disdain really, but you clearly see my point. App relies on Edwards like GSU relied on Foster. There's just really no single player more valuable to any team's success than Armanti Edwards is to App State.

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM

A few examples:

Great post! But, I think you mean David Reaves, not Burns who platooned with Daniel Jeremiah. For the record, I have never liked dual QBs. Reaves & Jeremiah did it well, though.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Great post! But, I think you mean David Reaves, not Burns who platooned with Daniel Jeremiah. For the record, I have never liked dual QBs. Reaves & Jeremiah did it well, though.

I don't even know if I would argue Burchette. App really didn't seem to hit their stride, IMO, until Williams took the helm and the offense was changed. Good team, yes, but with their old offense would still be playing third fiddle to GSU and Furman.

appstate38
October 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
What should concern you, is our offense hasn't been opened up either because of the youth. You are going to see things on Saturday that have not shown up on tape. Keep an eye on #15. Hes a playmaker.

If your coaches didn't add a few wrinkles to the game plan then they wouldn't be doing their job. Same goes for the Apps. Either way it should be another good one.

Black Saturday
October 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM

You better hope you open up, because if you don't, you can mail in the rest of the season.

PhoenixPhan06
October 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Well you are doing a fine job sir. And where'd you get your ticket from? A couple friends and I are looking to go to the game as well.

I got mine through the Phoenix Club and they were $27 ea.

JDC325
October 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Now that this week's games are over...

App. State @ GSU
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman

Discuss xreadx

App. State @ GSU Coin Flip
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman Coin Flip

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't even know if I would argue Burchette. App really didn't seem to hit their stride, IMO, until Williams took the helm and the offense was changed. Good team, yes, but with their old offense would still be playing third fiddle to GSU and Furman.

That was Alpha Sig MD that mentioned Burchette. However, he really was a great QB too, just in the old smash-mouth style & formation. Burchette did get us to the semis, where we lost to Montana in a barn-burner. At that point in time, that was the farthest in the playoffs we had gone (I think). When Richie Williams came along, I believe the offense was changed to suit the talent we had. Going from a QB who was 6'4", 235 lbs. to one who was 6'1", 185 lbs. will do that. And, the rest is history.

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
App. State @ GSU Coin Flip
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman Coin Flip

Coin flip? Wouldn't it be more fun to actually play the game?

But, I know what you meant. Best of luck to all of you Eagles fans. It ought to be a great game.

CID1990
October 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM

I don't know about that. I saw a *****load of weapons on that team a couple weeks ago, and none of their names were Armanti Edwards.

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know about that. I saw a *****load of weapons on that team a couple weeks ago, and none of their names were Armanti Edwards.

Nah..it's just Edwards :D

Rekdiver
October 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
GSU is maturing, ASU hasn't put together a complete game yet and is still putting 30+ points on the board. The defense is hurting and Armanti has a tender wheel.

I doest most assurdly believe that APP gets the other 4 cylinders running and we click on all 8 this weekend which does not bode well for GSU. IF we stay healthy after what is always a physical game then I see another win against Furman and that sets up a whopper of a game with Wofford (we owe them a butt whuppin) followed by Chatty then Elon who is hitting a stride then WCU.

If we get by GSU I can see us running the table...

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM

You don't have to be particularly smart to know that GSU can't "cover the whole field"...our defense is terrible.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna score about 60 points though...so App State is gonna need to score 61! That's the magic number! xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
You don't have to be particularly smart to know that GSU can't "cover the whole field"...our defense is terrible.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna score about 60 points though...so App State is gonna need to score 61! That's the magic number! xsmiley_wix

60 points? Gulp.

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I would agree. AE does not a whole team make.

Rekdiver
October 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Put 8 in the box like Samford did and the passing game will eat you alive.
Run a 4-3 or 3-4 and you will see 250 yards rushing plus 250 passing

You only hope is for turnovers and punt/kickoff returns.

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Put 8 in the box like Samford did and the passing game will eat you alive.
Run a 4-3 or 3-4 and you will see 250 yards rushing plus 250 passing

You only hope is for turnovers and punt/kickoff returns.

Isn't App State's passing game mostly just Armanti running around and turning a broken play into a big gain? Because that's what GSU's is. xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Isn't App State's passing game mostly just Armanti running around and turning a broken play into a big gain? Because that's what GSU's is. xthumbsupx

Exactly. Those three fellers on the sidelines waiving their arms don't mean squat. There's two plays. 1) run; 2) pass. All else is fluff. What ASU does is wait for the D to set up; if the D is in run defense, they pass; if it's in pass defense, they run. Simple.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Exactly. Those three fellers on the sidelines waiving their arms don't mean squat. There's two plays. 1) run; 2) pass. All else is fluff. What ASU does is wait for the D to set up; if the D is in run defense, they pass; if it's in pass defense, they run. Simple.

That's why I've enjoyed watching Furman's new 4-2-5. We are always in run, er, pass, I mean....I don't know.

furman94
October 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
RANDOM:

Why some Citadandilions hate other Socon teams...

," I just hate everybody! Furman, because they're queer and wear purple. Wofford because we haven't beat them in God knows how long. Elon because a) they are always hyped up more than they should be and b) because they came into our house and stole a game. VMI, because they're a damn pretender and like to talk smack. Anybody else? GSU for being a bunch of thugs, WCU and Chatt for being weak sauce, and App because Armanti won't get a damn haircut. Yeah, I think that about covers it."

I agree.

I came to The Citadel from Michigan and did not know anything about the SOCON, but it took about 3 days for me to hate Vermin. I have since moved back to MI where our football world has crumbled this year, but I still hate FU. Throw in Appy, cause it is in WV and that is where Rich Rodriguez coached (same state). GSU, well they beat us our first playoff game and are a bunch of thugs. VMI... Do I need to say anything?? WCU, Chatty and everyone else in FCS, well because they are not The Citadel....

Go Dogs.... Kich FUs @$$.

Really? I never knew App was in WV?

RazorEdge19
October 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
GSU is maturing, ASU hasn't put together a complete game yet and is still putting 30+ points on the board. The defense is hurting and Armanti has a tender wheel.

I doest most assurdly believe that APP gets the other 4 cylinders running and we click on all 8 this weekend which does not bode well for GSU. IF we stay healthy after what is always a physical game then I see another win against Furman and that sets up a whopper of a game with Wofford (we owe them a butt whuppin) followed by Chatty then Elon who is hitting a stride then WCU.

If we get by GSU I can see us running the table...

xeyebrowx...somehow I think Wofford and Elon have a thing or two to say about that last one...

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
RANDOM:

Why some Citadandilions hate other Socon teams...

," I just hate everybody! Furman, because they're queer and wear purple. Wofford because we haven't beat them in God knows how long. Elon because a) they are always hyped up more than they should be and b) because they came into our house and stole a game. VMI, because they're a damn pretender and like to talk smack. Anybody else? GSU for being a bunch of thugs, WCU and Chatt for being weak sauce, and App because Armanti won't get a damn haircut. Yeah, I think that about covers it."

I agree.

I came to The Citadel from Michigan and did not know anything about the SOCON, but it took about 3 days for me to hate Vermin. I have since moved back to MI where our football world has crumbled this year, but I still hate FU. Throw in Appy, cause it is in WV and that is where Rich Rodriguez coached (same state). GSU, well they beat us our first playoff game and are a bunch of thugs. VMI... Do I need to say anything?? WCU, Chatty and everyone else in FCS, well because they are not The Citadel....

Go Dogs.... Kich FUs @$$.

Really? I never knew App was in WV?

I also didn't know that GSU was the Miami Hurricanes of I-AA LOL. A bunch of "thugs"??

T-Dog
October 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Finally, my predictions for this week

Elon 63
UTC 10

El Citadel 28
Furman 24

Western 17
Wofford 31

App 41
GaSo 28

introvertedGSUfan
October 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I also didn't know that GSU was the Miami Hurricanes of I-AA LOL. A bunch of "thugs"??

We ballin' boy!

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
We ballin' boy!

xlolx "If you ain't a thug, you don't understand thug life" - Plies!

introvertedGSUfan
October 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
xlolx "If you ain't a thug, you don't understand thug life" - Plies!

Greatest college football rap song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqWnxp7178

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Greatest college football rap song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqWnxp7178

LMAO I love "The U"

LehighFan11
October 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Don't be hating on DA U now haha

elon77
October 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
That's why I've enjoyed watching Furman's new 4-2-5. We are always in run, er, pass, I mean....I don't know.

Elon enjoyed watching Furman's 4-2-5 too. I predict it will work better against The Citadel.

GATA
October 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Elon enjoyed watching Furman's 4-2-5 too. I predict it will work better against The Citadel.

BA-ZING!!! :D :D :D

SCPALADIN
October 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM

OUCH! xnonox xnonox ;) ;)

elon77
October 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
OUCH! xnonox xnonox ;) ;)

Sorry, he set himself up so good for that. Just couldn't let it go, could I?xeyebrowx

SCPALADIN
October 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry, he set himself up so good for that. Just couldn't let it go, could I?xeyebrowx

So WELL...come on man, you went to Elon.

elon77
October 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
So WELL...come on man, you went to Elon.

HISTORY MAJOR, NEVER COULD GET DAT eNGLISH STUFF DOWN. OH,well.xreadx

SCPALADIN
October 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
HISTORY MAJOR, NEVER COULD GET DAT eNGLISH STUFF DOWN. OH,well.xreadx

Same here...no excuses! xsmiley_wix

whoanellie
October 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
looked more like a 4-4 straight up to mexrotatehx

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
looked more like a 4-4 straight up to mexrotatehx

The two outside "linebackers" are actually safeties (bandit and rover). Defense has worked against everyone so far. I don't know how many times Elon has been held under 400 yards or to 160 yards passing, but the defense works.

The problem was our offense's inability to hang on to the ball.

BULLDOG8180
October 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I would agree. AE does not a whole team make.

I agree too, probably only 85% of a team.

seantaylor
October 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
GSU needs to find a way to take advantage of our speed advantage at the skill positions, because our D line is garbage.

T-Dog
October 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
GSU needs to find a way to take advantage of our speed advantage at the skill positions, because our D line is garbage.

That speed better help y'all because we have the 5th best rushing attack stat-wise in the FCS. And if you take out Armanti's stats, we're still 20th in the nation. xrulesx

The Cats
October 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Back on topic......

Appy State @ GSU (of course Western fans could celebrate a loss by either)
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman

blueballs
October 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
IMO a lot of the ASU folks are going to be surprised at how similar the GSU and ASU teams are built... lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball, big play dual threat QB's, innovative playcalling, and bend but don't break defenses that force turnovers. The team that wins the turnover stat wins the game... hopefully it will be the home team.:D IMO a pick'em game, the score will be 38-35.

Elon defeats Chatty 49-17
Furman defeats citadel 54-51
Wofford defeats Western 42-21

OL FU
October 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM

xlolx xlolx in overtimexsmiley_wix

proasu89
October 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
IMO a lot of the ASU folks are going to be surprised at how similar the GSU and ASU teams are built... lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball, big play dual threat QB's, innovative playcalling, and bend but don't break defenses that force turnovers. The team that wins the turnover stat wins the game... hopefully it will be the home team.:D IMO a pick'em game, the score will be 38-35.

Elon defeats Chatty 49-17
Wofford defeats Western 42-21

Including our game w/ you, it seemed like a lot of conference games last year had that same score.

appstate38
October 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM

That is a first. Yeah GSU has speed. But you are not exactly playing a slow team either. Where do you suppose your speed advantage is???? QB, RB, WR, LB. If anything I believe the speed factor will cancel each other out and it will come down to execution, turnovers and penalities.

Eaglesrus
October 16th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Back on topic......

Appy State @ GSU (of course Western fans WILL celebrate a loss by either)

Fixed it for you :)

PhoenixPhan06
October 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Back on topic......

Appy State @ GSU (of course Western fans could celebrate a loss by either)
Elon @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman

With that pick, you're gonna need a wheelbarrow to carry around those stones

blueballs
October 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Including our game w/ you, it seemed like a lot of conference games last year had that same score.

GSU @ Wofford in 2007 was a 38-35 game too.

blueballs
October 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
That is a first. Yeah GSU has speed. But you are not exactly playing a slow team either. Where do you suppose your speed advantage is???? QB, RB, WR, LB. If anything I believe the speed factor will cancel each other out and it will come down to execution, turnovers and penalities.

Getting out to the back of the booster parking lot to refresh my flask and back to my seats at halftime before the third quarter starts. That takes some serious speed.

appstate38
October 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Getting out to the back of the booster parking lot to refresh my flask and back to my seats at halftime before the third quarter starts. That takes some serious speed.

That would be ludacris speed!!!!xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
October 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
IMO a lot of the ASU folks are going to be surprised at how similar the GSU and ASU teams are built... lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball, big play dual threat QB's, innovative playcalling, and bend but don't break defenses that force turnovers.

Nah. No surprises there. GaSo & App.State are similar teams. No question, based on the game last year. Difference is, this year we still have our QB.

Is it gametime yet? Man, I wish I could be there.

GaSouthern
October 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0

Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as

GATA EAGLES!