PDA

View Full Version : From TSN re: A10

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM
How reliable are they? while reviewing possible playoff contenders this is what they say regarding UNH, Mass and Richmond

New Hampshire (7-1, 5-1 Atlantic 10)

The Games: at Hofstra (11/5), Iona (11/12), Maine (11/19)

Outlook: New Hampshire should have a seed coming its way, possibly as the No. 1 team in the tournament, if it wins the final three games. The Wildcats take the A-10 automatic bid by winning the final three contest. New Hampshire can probably lose to Hofstra, and maybe even lose two games, and still make the playoff field. But one more loss probably means the Wildcats are on the road again in the postseason.

Massachusetts (6-2, 5-1 A-10)

The Games: at Delaware (11/5), at Army (11/12), at Hofstra (11/12)

Outlook: Massachusetts needs to win two of the final three games, and it won’t be easy with three road trips and a I-A contest. The Minutemen get in at 8-3, and might get a seed at 9-2. The case for a seed would go up if they win out and New Hampshire loses to give Massachusetts the Atlantic 10 automatic bid.

Richmond (5-3, 5-1 Atlantic 10)

The Games: VMI (11/5), at Towson (11/12), William & Mary (11/19)

Outlook: An amazing turnaround at Richmond could turn into a playoff berth if the Spiders win three more games. Beating VMI shouldn’t be a problem, and Towson and William & Mary are very winnable games as well. The Spiders could even get the Atlantic 10 automatic bid if they beat Towson and William & Mary and New Hampshire and Massachusetts lose once, so what would be a shocking loss to VMI wouldn’t eliminate the Spiders from postseason consideration.

http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

He seems to think the 3-Way Tiebreaker doesnt take the auto bid from UNH ??

cosmo here
November 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
How reliable are they? while reviewing possible playoff contenders this is what they say regarding UNH, Mass and Richmond

He seems to think the 3-Way Tiebreaker doesnt take the auto bid from UNH ??

New Hampshire beat Massachusetts, Massachusetts beat Richmond, New Hampshire didn't play Richmond . .

I would think this would give them the advantage if all three finish with one loss . . ?

umassfan
November 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM
New Hampshire beat Massachusetts, Massachusetts beat Richmond, New Hampshire didn't play Richmond . .

I would think this would give them the advantage if all three finish with one loss . . ?
UMass wins the Auto bid if all three win out because of UMass's win over Army and UNH getting no points for their win over UC Davis

cosmo here
November 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM
UMass wins the Auto bid if all three win out because of UMass's win over Army and UNH getting no points for their win over UC Davis

Explain this points thing . . I thought the only thing that mattered is conference record and the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head.

umassfan
November 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Explain this points thing . . I thought the only thing that mattered is conference record and the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head.
Head to head would be thrown out the window due to UR and UNH not playing... to get the point system look at the A10 tie breaker thread.

Umass74
November 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
UMassfan:

Are you sure about this? Why would they throw out the head-to-head? The only circumstance I could think of would be if UMass, UNH and Richmond ended up all tied for the same record AND UNH beat UMass, who beat Richmond who beat UNH. Seeing UNH and Richmond DNP there is no round robin. Head-to-head would seem to have primacy :confused:

Could someone again list the tiebreakers in order?

umassfan
November 5th, 2005, 11:31 AM
UMassfan:

Are you sure about this? Why would they throw out the head-to-head? The only circumstance I could think of would be if UMass, UNH and Richmond ended up all tied for the same record AND UNH beat UMass, who beat Richmond who beat UNH. Seeing UNH and Richmond DNP there is no round robin. Head-to-head would seem to have primacy :confused:

Could someone again list the tiebreakers in order?

Just read the A10 tie breaker thread and Henrocks posts... he explains it clearly... Head to head doesnt matter in a 3 way tie when 2 of the three dont play each other.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Just read the A10 tie breaker thread and Henrocks posts... he explains it clearly... Head to head doesnt matter in a 3 way tie when 2 of the three dont play each other.

Would breaking the tie within the nortern division occur before breaking a tie with the other division?

umassfan
November 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Would breaking the tie within the nortern division occur before breaking a tie with the other division?
No!

bostonspider
November 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Of course UMass could lose to Army and then beat Hofstra and still tie UR and UNH for the title, but then I think that UNH would definitely get the autobid.....

charliej
November 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I'm still not sure about the whole thing. I could see head to head getting thrown out in a three way tie where all teams beat each other,(as in last years south division),but that is not the case here.

UNH beat Umass,Umass beat UR. I find it very hard to believe that a team could be declared conf. champ over a team that beat them for ANY reason.

dwtime
November 6th, 2005, 09:30 PM

UMass already beat Army? Did I miss something? :confused: